[Discussion] Proposal Daisakusen (Operation Love)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
User avatar
belleza
Posts: 713
Joined: Jan 21st, '07, 07:35

Post by belleza » Jun 28th, '07, 23:51

Yes,Ima, Ai ni Yukimasu is the best jmovie i've ever seen. A romantically sad movie with a very unexpected twist
I had been reading the Ima novel while watching ProDai, and I think originally I was hoping for the same vibe with ProDai when the show and cast between Pi and Masami were announced. You had a guy who relives the most poignant moments with the love of his life. With a similar dread/uncertainty about the future and all that, making each deja vu moment so poignant and beautiful.

User avatar
joeboygo
Posts: 208
Joined: Jun 8th, '06, 18:52

Post by joeboygo » Jun 29th, '07, 00:29

As promised, here's my own brain dump of final thoughts. If you are happy with the show, it may not be a good idea for you to read on. For whatever it's worth, here's what I think:
1. Thoughts on Ken's "proposal"

As a confession of love, Ken's speech fell flat on its face for me. It felt as if he was bouncing his feelings off of the crowd so that Rei could home in on the backscatter. He wasn't even facing Rei when he said he loved her. In other words, Ken's speech lacked the intimacy of a real confession, which is supposed to be a one-on-one, face-to-face affair. Instead, Ken's speech was clearly meant to be heard by all the guests; he was playing to that wider audience instead of the single person that needed to hear him. Why drag everybody else into your private turmoil? All that does is contaminate the love message with a sour note of extreme self-pity: "feel sorry for me everybody, because I'm losing something precious here." Boo-hoo. (BTW, some of you that found Tada's confession in episode 7 ugly are giving Ken a free pass for his speech. What's with the inconsistency?). Rei did get the message, but that's not the point. This isn't how a man should do things. In the end, Ken is still a self-centered boy, and Tada was the real man after all. It leaves me wondering if I was rooting for the wrong guy.

Was the speech a genuine display of courage? That depends on how you define courage. For me, a first-time confession of love to a woman carries the risk of rejection. It takes a lot of courage to risk that rejection and to respect the woman's decision if she finds your advances unwelcome. That's why confessions are so hard for guys to do. In Ken's situation, the risk is not there anymore because, duh, she's already married to somebody else! So when he gave that speech, he had nothing to lose and everything to gain. Did doing what he did take guts? Well, about as much guts as it takes to throw a public tantrum. It's not about courage. It's about a lack of shame.

Finally, Ken's speech reeked of insincerity. If you believe what he said, he just wanted everybody to know the truth and then leave everybody in peace. Yeah, right. But he sure wouldn't mind if she left her husband because of what he said. If you buy the premise of that whole speech, then you probably don't understand how most guys' brains work. When we say something like that, we're expecting a certain reaction. And don't try to argue that Ken is different because we all saw that big grin on his face at the last scene.

2. Thoughts on Rei's response to Ken's confession.

We never saw Rei respond directly to Ken with her own confession. At the end of the show Ken only senses it, but he doesn't know exactly how she feels because she doesn't get to tell him. The audience knows how Rei feels through her internal monologues in episodes 6 and 11, but this isn't something Ken or any other character in the show can hear. Structurally, the absence of Rei's response is a major flaw in the story, because almost everything we know about Rei was learned by being inside Ken's head and looking at her through his eyes. The one thing about Rei that the audience was allowed to see outside Ken's range of perception was that she was in love with him. The obvious implication was that we would eventually see this love through Kenzo's eyes as well, so that we the audience could participate vicariously in his jubilation and celebrate with him. But the ending leaves all that to our imagination. We never experience the satisfaction of seeing the two lead characters connect. We do see Rei wallowing in regret in church, but since we already know how she feels, these scenes don't tell us anything new. What we still don't know and needed to see is how Ken would actually react to her confession, as this was something we could only imagine since the show began. I guess we'll just have to keep imagining.

In sum, I can't possibly feel satisfied with a romance where I don't even see the main characters connect. A successful meeting of the minds is a bare minimum in any story about a mutual relationship. At the conclusion of the series all communication between Ken and Rei remained one-sided. We saw no dialogue between them. The final connection between them is merely implied, and very vaguely at that. I think after 11 episodes I deserved a little more. This show simply fails to deliver as a romance.

3. Thoughts on the ending.

My first beef with the ending, is that It leaves the series in a serious state of imbalance. Rei spent much of the series in another man's orbit. It would not have taken much to balance that out by showing Rei and Ken actually hooking up and engaging in a romatic relationship. If a hug or kiss is too much, then how about an exchange of a few token words, or even a quiet moment shared together? Anything to show the audience that their relationship had evolved, and they were now relating to each other not as mere friends but as lovers. Unfortunately, we didn't get any of that. Let's examine what we got instead. First, we got five episodes (1 - 5) where Rei and Ken are friends. We got two episodes (6 - 7) where Tada takes the lead in his race with Ken, culminating in an actual confession. We get almost two whole episodes (8 - 9) where Rei was Tada's steady girlfriend. Then we got more than one episode (9 - 10) where she's his fiancee. Finally we get more than one whole episode (1 & 11) where Rei is Tada's wife. And when the entire series ends, she's still Tada's wife. On the other hand, there isn't a solitary moment, a single frame in the entire eleven+ hours of the show, where Ken and Rei are an actual couple in an exclusive mutual relationship. This show is severely imbalanced because it gives us plenty of Tada+Rei to remember, but if we want any Kenzo+Rei, we'll need to supply that ourselves. As it stands, there is no incentive for a Kenzo+Rei shipper to sit through the entire show because there is nothing waiting for him/her at the end but more work.

My second beef with the ending is that it's just plain weak. The entire audience had been waiting to exhale for weeks after sitting through all those episodes sharing Ken's despair and frustration. So at the end of it all, the show owed its audience a common point of catharsis: a scene where we could all collectively and simultaneously breath out and relax knowing that our shared suffering was finally over. But because the ending requires us to imagine our own individual conclusions, not only do we not get to share a common happy moment with the hero, we don't get to share such a moment with each other. The show gained much of its power by bringing us together in sympathy with Ken. But the ending squandered all that power by breaking us apart and leaving us to fend for oureslves as individuals. The absence of any common moment of relief for our shared suffering makes the ending weak.

My third beef with the ending is that it's lazy. There are valid implied endings, and there are plain lazy endings. A well executed implied ending gives the audience enough building blocks to put together the true ending even if it isn't shown. That was not done in this case. We have no idea how Rei will tell Ken she loves him. We have no idea how Ken will react. We have no idea how they will behave towards each other as boyfriend/girlfriend. We have no idea how the friends will treat them. Before all that, we don't even know were he is or how and when she will catch up to him. In other words, there are too many intermediate steps that have to be made up between where the show left off and any kind of plausible ending. Morevoer, If we were to imagine all that, we'd have to make everything up from scratch, because the show doesn't give us any clues to work with. Finally, after 11 episodes, most of us in the audience are exhausted, and it's not fair to expect us to do all that work for an ending that we rightly expected as our just reward for sticking with the story to the end. The ending is therefore lazy because it delivers less than it's supposed to and demands too much from the audience to make up for its shortcomings.

4. Thoughts on other peoples' thoughts.

I've read people justify the symbolic ending as the "opening of the door to possibilities." My own idea of a proposal is "I love you will you marry me?" What I'm expecting to hear is, ideally, "I love you too, yes I'll marry you." At worst, I'll get "I don't love you, so no." I don't want to hear something like "congratulations, the door of possibilities is open." If I ever hear that, I'll say "gimme back my ring ****." Also, symbolic endings are fine as long as you prepare the audience for it. This show set us up to expect a literal, and not a symbolic ending. The conflict between Rei and Kenzo was not depicted symbolically, so its resolution cannot be symbolic.

I've also read that this is an acceptable kind of ending in Japan. Here in America we have our own style of acceptable crappy endings as well. My argument isn't whether this is a suitable form of ending, but whether it's the best ending that could be had for this show. I definitely don't think so. It's not as if the Japanese don't have any good romantic endings in their storytelling arsenal, 'cuz I've seen plenty better than this. If you like the ending as it is, ask yourself if it could have been better. Would you really turn down a conventional ending if you had a choice?
Sorry about the length, but this is probably it for me. I hope to bump into you people elsewhere, but it may not be like this again. I'm going to be very cautious before I invest so heavily in another show.
Last edited by joeboygo on Jun 29th, '07, 03:19, edited 2 times in total.

schizoar
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 45
Joined: Jul 3rd, '06, 17:26

..

Post by schizoar » Jun 29th, '07, 00:48

After 11 episodes of waiting for Ken and Rei to be together... The only conclusion they gave me is Rei screaming Kenzou.. :glare:

I kind of understand that most Japanese dramas tend to make endings like this so I'm trying to convince myself that they've made the right ending for the drama. :|

But.. There's definitely something missing. :-(

I would've wanted to be smiling after watching the last episode but I find myself confused. Coz I was like, "That's it?" :scratch:

Oh well... :whistling:

User avatar
gnoma
Posts: 78
Joined: Jan 10th, '05, 22:29
Location: Italy
Contact:

Post by gnoma » Jun 29th, '07, 00:53

Captures from episodes 02 to 11 made by me ^__^
I hope you like them ^____^

http://smo.forumfree.net/?t=14896266&st ... y161750468

User avatar
ninjabunny
Posts: 73
Joined: Sep 13th, '05, 23:17
Location: San José, CA

Post by ninjabunny » Jun 29th, '07, 01:15

joeboygo,

please continue to invest heavily into other dramas. you are like the roger ebert of d-addict. I love reading your insights.

I agree with your analysis of the speech but I don't see it that negatively. I have written my thoughts on the speech so you can read where I stand.

about the ending:

I don't love the ending per se. but i think what some people are demanding is too much for what the writers had set up. She is a married woman. She is chasing after a guy other then her husband. If we see them embrace each other while she is still in her wedding gown (that Tada probably paid for), it just screams INFIDELITY. A subtle ending down plays that fact that she is cheating. It let us know that she had left her husband but not giving us the definitive answer that she is with another man. Anything more between Rei and Ken would be an assassination to Rei's integrity.

furransu
Posts: 2289
Joined: Mar 12th, '04, 15:51

Post by furransu » Jun 29th, '07, 03:16

the ending is so bad.. whats up with that -_-

User avatar
godmode
Posts: 88
Joined: Oct 7th, '05, 16:03
Location: Canada eh?

Re: ..

Post by godmode » Jun 29th, '07, 03:21

schizoar wrote:After 11 episodes of waiting for Ken and Rei to be together... The only conclusion they gave me is Rei screaming Kenzou.. :glare:

I kind of understand that most Japanese dramas tend to make endings like this so I'm trying to convince myself that they've made the right ending for the drama. :|

But.. There's definitely something missing. :-(

I would've wanted to be smiling after watching the last episode but I find myself confused. Coz I was like, "That's it?" :scratch:

Oh well... :whistling:
my sentiments exactly.

wtf worst ending ever. I need better closure than that! they better do a special.

also poor Tada, the man is just a saint.
Currently watching:

Proposal Daisakusen
Hanayome to Papa

User avatar
makino
Posts: 28
Joined: Jun 30th, '05, 20:31
Location: Texas

Post by makino » Jun 29th, '07, 03:26

i agree that the ending wasn't the best approach for the series, but as ninjabunny said seeing rei running into kenzo's arm with a spanking fresh new blingy wedding ring on her finger from tada-san wouldn't seem right. (think about all the guests still in the church wondering where the bride went..lol)
i'm satisfied with the ending. another ending would have been better, but that would also make things more complicated.

User avatar
lsqB
Posts: 302
Joined: Jan 14th, '07, 20:14
Contact:

Post by lsqB » Jun 29th, '07, 03:43

wow.
so that's what my guyfriend was crying nooooooooo for.
That's a sucky ending, and I haven't even watched it!

anyways...for those who want an alternate ending.
this is apparently a true story that happened to one couple. The setting is pretty much like prodai (from what I've heard). if you recognize this story, send me a pm :D

Oh yeah, if anyone would like to translate, feel free to do so. I'm too lazy to ^^'
そのカップルの男の方。
ソイツは中学生の頃付き合ってた彼女と中学卒業で別々の高校に
進学し、少しづつ会う機会も減ってしまった事を理由に彼女から
別れを告げられた。
ソイツは本当は別れたくなかったのに、まだガキだったのもあって
意地をはって別れを承諾してしまった。
次の日から全然平気そうに振舞っていたけど、ホントはとてもショックで
悲しくて3日ご飯を食べれなかったくらいだったそうだ。
人間いつまでもへこんでいるわけにもいられない。
時が経ち、ソイツも元気を取り戻した。
明るくてリーダー的存在だったソイツは結構女の子からも人気があった
ので、高校、大学、就職、そのあいだにどちらかというと女には不自由
しない楽しい生活を送っていた・・・
・・・というのは本当かどうかはさだかではないが笑
まぁ、人並みに恋愛をして彼女もでき、普通に生活を送っていた。
そんな高校、大学、就職の生活の中、不思議な事にその中学の頃の
彼女に街で遭遇することが何度かあった。
ちょこっと話してバイバイした後、連絡先を聞けばよかったと後悔したり
お互い恋人と一緒にいる時に遭遇して、すれ違う時に男連れのその子
を見て少し心が痛んだりもした。
ソイツは中学の時付き合ってたその子をずっと心のどこかに引っかかって
いた事に気が付いた。
たまにふとその子のことを思い出し「どうしてるかな」とか「会いたいな」と
思う事もあったり。
でもそれはまだ幼く純粋だった頃の恋愛の思い出を懐かしんでいるだけで
恋心とは違うんだろうな、そう思っていた。
(今思えばそう思うようにしていたのかもしれない)
それに、その子の連絡先を知るすべもなく、たまたま街で遭遇する機会も
そう何度もあるもんでもないので、ほとんど諦めていた。
さらに月日は流れ、突然ソイツにチャンスが訪れた。
ソイツは仲の良い友達と飲みに行く約束をしていたんだけど、そこに
ずっと気になってたその子も来る事になったのだ。
みんなで飲み屋で久々の再会。
久々にその子に再会し、話すうちに、今まで心のどこかで引っかかっていた
物は確実にその子への恋心だったと確信した。
「もう、このチャンスを逃したら絶対後悔する!」と思った瞬間・・・
「私、今年結婚することになったの」
そう言って、少しテレながら婚約指輪をその子が見せた。
一瞬で撃沈・・・・・・・・・・
あっと言う間にソイツは失恋した。
ショックの中、「おめでとう」と言うのが精一杯だっただろう。
もちろん連絡先を聞くほどの元気も残っておらず、結局連絡先を聞かない
まま、これから知らない誰かと幸せになるその子と別れた。
「街で会ったあの時連絡先を聞いていたらよかった」
「もっと早く再会できるように動いていればよかった」
元々あまり後悔したり失恋してだいぶ落ち込むキャラではなかったのに
珍しくソイツはかなり後悔した。
考えた末、今までの気持ちだけでも伝えようと思ったが
でも、今となってはその子はもう他の男の物。
結局ソイツは諦めた。
失恋の傷も癒え、月日は流れ一年後。
また突然その子と飲みに行く機会に恵まれた。
でも、「もうその子は結婚してしまってるしな」と少しせつなくなったが
失恋の傷も癒え、完全にその子の事は諦めて良い思い出に
変わっていた。
それにソイツも好きな彼女がいて今なら心から祝福できるという
気持ちだった。
そう思っていたのだけど・・・・
1年ぶりにその子に再会し、皆で飲みながら近況を話していたところ
ふと「そういえば結婚したんよね、おめでとう」と言ったら
その子は微妙な表情をしながら答えた。
結婚をしたと思った彼女はまだ結婚していなかったのだ。
(色々と事情があったらしい)
無いと思っていた2度目のチャンス到来に不謹慎ながらも
ソイツは舞い上がった。
(後々その子に聞いたら「なんでこの人は悲しい話なのに嬉しそう
なんだろう」と思ったらしいが笑)
「この何年間かの気持ちを今伝えないと絶対後悔する!」
ソイツは彼女とも別れ、その子に今までのありったけの気持ちを
その子に伝えた。
女に必死になった事のないソイツが、珍しく真剣にプライドを
かなぐり捨てて猛アタックしてる姿はソイツをよく知る友人が見たら
かなり驚いたであろう状況笑
(本人にとっちゃ笑い事じゃないだろうけど笑)
頑張って、頑張って・・・・
結果、見事恋を実らせました☆
そしてこれがソイツにとって最後の恋になりそうです☆

elaeye
Posts: 42
Joined: Jun 25th, '07, 06:21
Location: Australia

Post by elaeye » Jun 29th, '07, 03:46

*enter opinion giver number 12038482*

Ken's speech opinion #20484873929...
I was not fully satisfied with the ending. But I just need to add my own two cents about the speech...

I believe Ken started the speech with several intentions in mind. He intended to, as people say, try to get his feelings across one last time and found the courage to do so. I believe he genuinely wasn't aiming to sabotage the wedding however, probably deep inside him or closer to the surface, he was hoping for a reply from Rei.

Okay, yes, it was immoral of him to do so at her wedding and embarrass the groom and bride (not to mention probably shocking the guests) but what else could he do? He had one last chance (yes, last of the last chances) to say something. Probably Asian practices are different but I think the writers interpreted it as "once the ceremony's over, that's the end".

But it's not over yet and therein probably lies Ken's final push to the confession; he had this chance to change himself in the present and what could he do other than to seize it? He repeatedly says Rei is the one he truly loves through the entire series and he's suddenly presented with this last chance to clear his conscience. Most humans, especially ones who have been in love with said girl for over a decade, would take that chance. This might subtly connect to the entire "hallejuah chance" theme of the drama- to take that chance to make things right again.

Yes, I believe him saying that in the ceremony and in his timing of the speech was selfish but I think, given the circumstances that this is a drama and about romance particularly and also because it's his last chance, he still chose a better time than a few years on when Rei's actually married. Yes, the ending is open ended and I really think Tada must be a saint to not have shown the slightest bit of refusal but Ken and Rei's personalities were decidedly realistic here.

Ken and Rei aren't perfect (though it's an odd time for the writers to emphasize this). When it comes down to it, Ken confessed his feelings. Rei realized she was probably the one in the wrong. Tada bows down and backs out of the entire thing (I'm still quite confused about that...seriously, it was some last ditch effort to redeem his character or give him a larger role in the series but that was just...if Tada had much of a character, it would totally be out of it) and, well, what else can Rei do other than chase the man she's loved for more than a decade out?

Inside, I'm pretty sure if Ken were real, he'd be secretly hoping, with a small part of his heart, that Rei would chase after him. Selfish, slightly scheming but I don't believe that was the focus of his speech or his main aim. Maybe he was smiling because Rei had called him, 'Ken-zou' again instead of purely knowing that Rei had just ditched her own wedding. It's that simplicity of their love, that simple naive-ness, that kind of got me rooting for them.

All in all, maybe it wasn't supposed to be this deep. XD; Maybe it was just a simple (albeit generic) scene from a drama.
I dunno...

Joebygo, please do continue to invest in dramas, your opinions are really intriguing to read. :thumright:

TG3
Posts: 116
Joined: Jan 15th, '06, 01:08

Post by TG3 » Jun 29th, '07, 04:05

Definite bummer of an ending. Heck, maybe HYD spoiled me forever with its picture perfect, literal "stand up and cheer" ending, but I think just a little tweak at the end could have made it all worth it. Instead, I feel really really cheated and robbed. God, will YamaP ever get the girl in the end?

Ah well, I think Hana Kimi will help me get over this. Bring on the gender bending madness!

untypikal
Posts: 51
Joined: Jul 30th, '04, 04:06

Post by untypikal » Jun 29th, '07, 04:49

can someone please help me identify a song??

i'm on episode 8 (have been busy)...and i really like the song that eri and rei sing in karaoke. does anyone know the title and artist of the song they're singing? all help is appreciated!!!

murdocknakashima
Posts: 30
Joined: Apr 12th, '05, 09:36

Post by murdocknakashima » Jun 29th, '07, 05:08

untypikal wrote:can someone please help me identify a song??

i'm on episode 8 (have been busy)...and i really like the song that eri and rei sing in karaoke. does anyone know the title and artist of the song they're singing? all help is appreciated!!!
the song is called "Sakuranbo" by Otsuka Ai.

untypikal
Posts: 51
Joined: Jul 30th, '04, 04:06

Post by untypikal » Jun 29th, '07, 05:19

murdocknakashima wrote:
untypikal wrote:can someone please help me identify a song??

i'm on episode 8 (have been busy)...and i really like the song that eri and rei sing in karaoke. does anyone know the title and artist of the song they're singing? all help is appreciated!!!
the song is called "Sakuranbo" by Otsuka Ai.
thanks so much^^ listening to it now!!
for some reason though, i remember hearing this song performed by a male band...is that my imagination? did anyone remake the song? or is this the only version?

User avatar
caffienejunkie
Posts: 30
Joined: Mar 23rd, '06, 05:53
Location: US

Post by caffienejunkie » Jun 29th, '07, 05:32

Like a lot of people, I was left a little unsatisfied with the ending. That's actually a bit of an understatement (I remember saying quite a few choice words), but thinking more about it, I don't know what I would have done to change it. Kenzou was selfish in his speech; there's no denying that. However, the drama was constantly about living a life without regrets and giving your all for what you truly want. If Ken hadn't said anything about his love for Rei and just happily congratulated them, the ending would have been even less fulfilling and the entire show would have been static. No character would have learned a thing (besides perhaps Touru and Eri). However, I thought Ken's speech was perfect. Despite being selfish, it was what a true friend should do. I know a lot of what he said was for himself, but Ken wanted to make sure that his best friend was going to be happy, whether she chose to be with Tada-san or himself. It was like Eri making the choice to give Rei Kenzou's ring. Ken gave her all the information; Rei simply had to decide for herself what she was going to do with it. I pity Tada-san, but it was something that had to be done. If Ken hadn't said anything, there would always be that nagging bit of doubt that would haunt Rei and Tada-san's marriage.All in all, I thought the acting of the final scenes of the last episode (Ken's extreme sadness and Rei's realization of her own faults) was beautifully delivered. I'm still a sucker for happy endings, and would have liked to see Ken twirling Rei around and giving her a big movie kiss and blah blah blah, but it simply wouldn't have fit in this show at all. In fact, it probably would have ruined the characters for me, since it would have made them really immoral. This ending showed that they were human and let the viewer make his/her own judgments. Sad and kind of irritating, but fitting.
:whistling:

User avatar
belleza
Posts: 713
Joined: Jan 21st, '07, 07:35

Post by belleza » Jun 29th, '07, 06:43

I don't love the ending per se. but i think what some people are demanding is too much for what the writers had set up.
I think it depends on how you enjoyed the show from the get-go, what you were looking for in the show. For me, it was never about the details or literality of the story, and I was never expecting an ending that could untie all the consequential and moral knots of the timeslip. I enjoyed ProDai as a kind of personal monologue, though I also think it could have been more successful in that. A lot of people invested themselves into the show by partisan vote, and got royally screwed over by the end. Maybe that's how most guys see a good love story.

Also, I just thought Episodes 10 and 11 had marvelously sentimental touches throughout the narrative. It's sort of how I feel about Sekachu -- Sekachu isn't a great story and it isn't a great romance, but it's a surprisingly good meditation on how one's increased sensitivity toward life fosters deeper wells for love. Here it's in the framing of our characters, the plaintive expressions, the patient eroding of a wedding's testament toward selfless commitment, the lighting and the way Masami and Pi were acting in lonely spaces. I really enjoyed that; I really enjoying how the director objectifies Yamapi in the finale.

I don't know -- I just really enjoyed ProDai's texture throughout its run. It doesn't depict the complications of childhood bonds as thoughtfully as H2; it doesn't approach the adolescent tension of Pi-Masami in Dragon Zakura (where their relationship was never the main story anyway); it doesn't sell us on fateor personal courage like HanaDan; and this man's memories of his youth is nowhere as finely felt or "alive" as Nobuta wo Produce. But I enjoyed ProDai a lot anyway.

In any case, both actors looked wonderful wearing suits and wedding gowns through 2 months without a wrinkle or crease. Time travel never looked so dapper! :D

User avatar
lunargen
Posts: 278
Joined: Apr 6th, '07, 16:11
Location: US

Post by lunargen » Jun 29th, '07, 06:43

@ sakurachan - heehee you're welcome! and thanks for the meal offer XD XD

---
i'll be straight to the point ne~ because the comments on these have so far been incredibly long winded that I don't read them anymore (save for those i've been conversing with here much for the past 2 months)

after a little bit of retrospect, i now understand that the reason for the lack of blatant intimacy at the end is just to follow the ongoing theme this drama had. It was about the subtle and gradual changing of Rei's view of Ken through the timeslips. So, it just fits to have a subtle ending as well. Yes the ending may not suffice for ALL the 11 hours some of you spent mulling over it, but then having a flashy kissy scene, though admittedly it would've been nice to have it, feels very out of place in it. You compare it to HYD, but then, there, at the get go, it was a touchy feely drama, and this isn't. And thus what You call a rather bland ending.

I'm not exhilarated about the ending, but I am content. I won't overanalyze on it anymore just to rationalize the loose ends here and there, because as graymouse said, there's such a big plot hole here you can run a truck through it. XD And of course, I don't want to shatter this precarious contentment hahahaha. I guess there's no point in stressing ourselves out more over it ne~. :lol (God knows I have enough pimples already.)(AND yes, subbing this has given me acne XD )

(and of course, being a yamapi fan and seeing him smile at the end does factor something it too XD )

I truly enjoyed my time here. To share here was arduous, as I felt my posts needed a certain depth for it to be worth posting. But it was refreshing! I TRULY hope I'd see you guys in some thread again someday, but I ship JE, and we all know what that means. XD

---
joeboygo, sana wag mong hayaang pigilan ka nitong mag gugol ng iyong damdamin in other doramas. totoo, mabigat sa loob at masakit, but someday you'll see na marami kang narealize at natutunan. i know you're not yet there, but cheer up :) . at least you've met friends. :D
Avatar thanks to haiki-chan@livejournal

User avatar
belleza
Posts: 713
Joined: Jan 21st, '07, 07:35

Post by belleza » Jun 29th, '07, 07:22

ne~ because the comments on these have so far been incredibly long winded that I don't read them anymore
Why thank you, now I know I have done my job. :P :lol

lunargen, thank you for your energy in the subs and the positive vibe you gave here. I hope to see you around real soon!

User avatar
lunargen
Posts: 278
Joined: Apr 6th, '07, 16:11
Location: US

Post by lunargen » Jun 29th, '07, 07:51

belleza wrote:
ne~ because the comments on these have so far been incredibly long winded that I don't read them anymore
Why thank you, now I know I have done my job. :P :lol

lunargen, thank you for your energy in the subs and the positive vibe you gave here. I hope to see you around real soon!
hahaha actually,
your's, graymouse's and joeboygo's are the only one's i've read thus far. :lol heheh i think i will be around somewhere for the summer season hehehe. i've already planned sushi oji, hanakimi, yamada taro (all of them having JE boys XD ) and tantei gakuen on my weekly DL list. but most of them don't seem to be your cup of tea (at least that's how your tastes struck me to be), so hopefully we do!

and i'm glad the speech, as you said, read beautifully. i was really worried about that part, because i feel that particular speech was crucial to how people would respond to the ending. So I translated it as directly as I could. God knows a single mistranslated word could've spelled disaster. lol
Avatar thanks to haiki-chan@livejournal

theJade
Posts: 6
Joined: May 23rd, '07, 08:02

Post by theJade » Jun 29th, '07, 09:21

Brief thoughts on Tada's gamble (I know no Japanese and put complete trust in lunargens excellent work in translating these eps. Thanks for making the translations so quickly!):
Once a teacher, always a teacher I suppose. In the end I feel that Tada still gave Rei a choice. The way I see it, the buttons don't symbolize the decision to choose Tada or Ken. Instead it was an instruction to Rei to pursue a resolution to her problem (tada says: "if you pick the button, you shall go after the problem you have now").

There is a subtle difference. In essense it was a lesson that whether or not you should pursue a problem should not be an issue. You should always confront your problems. What's important is that you focus on and not regret the results you want out of a situation. It just so happens her problem was to either go after Ken, or not go after him and stay with Tada. Tada didn't exactly give Rei away. He let Rei choose (Tada probably thinks he still has a chance, even though it might be <10%), and Rei chose Ken.


Yes? No?

Graymouse
Posts: 197
Joined: May 5th, '07, 14:52
Location: Sasebo, Japan

Post by Graymouse » Jun 29th, '07, 13:57

Ok, we have all said our take on how the drama ended. I would like to shift gears for a moment and lets talk about the acting throughout the series and especailly in the final episode.

Yamashita Tomohisa: (KEN) I think was great in his leading role of his first love story drama. However, I must say that, his acting really started to get sloppy in episode 11. Throughout the drama he was right on cue with his emotional expressions. In episode 11 it seemed like a lot of his emotions were forced (espeically in the crying scenes) During "Ken's" speech I believe that he could have done a lot better job. The speech is the turning point of the whole drama and he should of nailed it with all the emotion juices flowing and try to connect with the viewers and especially with "Rei" However that did not happen. I felt that he was flat and very ackward. Even in the end scene it seemed like he forced a smile when he realized that his maricle has come true.

Nagasawa Masami: (REI) I believe that she came away from this drama a better actress. She nailed each and every emotional scene. Her acting was natural and didn't once seem out of place or forced. It seemed to me that Masami, actually felt like she was "Rei" in many of her scenes. I was very impressed with her facial expressions and her whole attitude that she never came out of character. I will be keeping an eye on her in the future.

Fujiki Naohito: (TADA) Now, I am indifferent when it came to his character but I will say this about the actor. He played the part to the letter. He really made us either love him or hate him. (especially when he was dipping in Ken's kool-aid) His acting helped pushed the story along and helped us understand the emotional ties between "Ken" and "Rei" It takes a great actor to draw such emotional responses from the audience. I tip my hat to him.

Eikura Nana: (ERI) I enjoyed watching her throughout the drama. Her character was kinda hard to figure out. I was having a hard time trying to decide what was her purpose in this. However, as the drama progressed I started to understand that her character was there to provide emotional support for "Rei" Her acting needs a little bit of work in some scenes it seemed forced, but I still think that she can become a great actress if she applies herself.

Hiraoka Yuuta: (MIKIO) I enjoyed watching him as well. I think Mikio had the same role as "Eri" did for "Rei" to provide emotional support for Ken. His acting was dead on and felt that he done very well even during the emotional scenes. He helped drive the story forward as well. Mikio seemed to me like he was the "leader" of the group.

Hamada Gaku: (Tsurumi) What can I say about this guy! I really enjoyed watching his character persue Eri with all his might. They couldn't of picked a better person to play the lighthearted, comedy relief guy then him. I was very impressed with his acting and it seemed very natural. I hope to see him in other dramas as well.

Well, I know that I pissed off some people but oh well. Opinons are like butts everybody has one!

User avatar
nanikore
Posts: 226
Joined: Jun 12th, '07, 04:14

Post by nanikore » Jun 29th, '07, 14:49

belleza wrote:Thoughts on the ending:
At the end of episode 10, I was struck by the beauty of Ken and Rei running away. It's a well worn scene in movies, but here it was the most proactive, tonally shifting moment in the story. It was, where I felt, Proposal Daisakusen's "second" story really began. The main character became Rei, sepia-toned, glittering in all her jewelry and candy wrapped solutions.

In the beginning of episode 11, Rei was happy, so okay with Kenzou taking her away. Instead of letting herself question to his intentions to the point of shutting down, she smiled and enjoyed the moment with him. She began to reflect that, "wow, Kenzou had been a wonderful friend all these years. Thank you Ken." She was never more beautiful, more happy in the entire show than in the moment she trusted herself, her friendship with Ken.

Oddly, Rei wasn't the one who radiated. It was Ken, or rather Yamashita Tomahisa who glowed with a kind of chocolate bitter sweetness. Somewhere in Episode 11, it became an impassioned love letter to Kenzou, beautiful Kenzou, unable to say things at the right time, and yet with his mind and soul, he was always welcoming Rei into his life. At that place in the playground, before the slide shows, before their adolescence, Rei finally reflected that he was a kind and wonderful soul, and that at this end of their journey, underneath a beautiful beige sunset he was finally walking away.

It starts out as a pure love letter to Yamapi. The beautifully harmony of his skin and his hair, his uncomfortable, cranky pride, the hum of warmth dispersing into the sparky school concrete. He's so uncomfortable with his own skin that he preens like a stubborn, insensible boy. But he knows he's being silly, and he'll quietly laugh with you. He wanted to share his warmth with you. He wanted to enjoy the days with you. He then asks, in his incomplete but sincere way, if you have loved him so that you could have regretted your decisions. When Rei tried to be honest with her answer, she forgot she was still in love with him. She forgot he was still in love with her.

The wedding becomes her intervention, and in a way ProDai had quietly eluded through the show.

When Ken confesses his love for Rei, he is also, unknowingly, quietly refuting all of Rei's objections to him. He in expressing his heart, finally understands the meaning of their friendship, the true bond they had. Rei, like Ken in the beginning of the story, had saw the fate of their relationship as a product of individual decisions and unfortunate timing. But Ken, but beautiful and humbly collapsing Ken, retells their friendship as if they had always been together. With each other, for each other. That when it mattered, they were honest enough to turn each other around. That Rei and Ken should be, not merely because he loved her, but because it's the only thing that made sense.

Nobody in the room objects, not because the wedding here is a ceremony of love, but becase Episode 11 is the full staging of their intervention. And Rei is shaken to the core. More than anything, she cannot believe that he had the faith, and she didn't. 10 times, she had quietly rejected his friendship. 10 times, she had found ways to make it fail. 10 times, she had projected her own insecurity onto Kenzou, and now Ken was a mess and more beautiful to her that he's ever been.

The 10 slides, these newly minted gestures of Ken's stubborn resolve and stubborn affection, each testifies how mistaken Rei was. They damn her; they chastise her; they refute her. If the timing was the most inappropriate time, the constant temporal folding and kneading of the wedding ceremony had already worn out the taste and chew of the love vows mouthed at the beginning of the show. To the viewer in Episode 11, nothing about Rei and Tada's love could be made from the ceremony. Ken's act could only be a hostile, a tender, hostile act of unforgiving, self-immolating love. Love was pissed at Rei too, and prepared and then pushed Ken to begin the intervention. The slides finished it.

The time-slip narrative in breaking down the fiber of Rei and Tada's love, essentially restored the essence of Rei and Tada's relationship, which is as student and teacher. Perhaps no man at the altar could plausibly act like Tada; but then, by the Angel (or Fate's) doing, this was no longer a meeting of love. Tada was restored as her adviser and willing soundboard for her to make her big decisions. He pushed her to make the right one for her. And yes, this was also an act of love on his part, but it was also him following through what Fate intended.

In honoring their friendship and then saying goodbye, Kenzou has his closure and catharsis. But, here's the thing -- in truly admitting that he lost everything with her, she sees how beautiful he is and how ugly she has been in never putting his faith in him. And like in all successful interventions, she finally sees the door. She finally sees with clarity, that the miracle was the forgiving, suffering, constant abiding of their love. So she runs, she runs not just hopeful, but happy and liberated, into the light.

He gives himself up to open Rei's eyes. He had nothing left, but she finally saw everything. She understood what she misunderstood him all along.. In the ProDai finale, the cogs of fate obliged.

They end up in the middle of some unassuming street, without a working car, and the warm, soft focus air barely making a sound. It's the perfect place for Rei, liberated Rei, to come for him. All along, it was her who had let go, who had to come for him. This became the perfect first memory of their new relationship.

Episode 11 ends as a kind of dream. He's smiling because she's probably coming out of the brilliant light.

If the literal account of the finale amounts to a contradictory bloodbath of misplaced obligations and marital sabotage, I still enjoyed it. It still felt like a feverish wash of personal truths and private hope; it still felt like Yamapi and Masami finally allowed to entertain the chemistry of soulmatehood; it still felt like the most beautiful generous act of selfishness and personal humiliation that one man can do. What he did was so wrong and what he did made him look so beautiful.

In the end, everything logical and realistic and on-the-surface is washed away in that bright, dreamy light. It is how when everything was washed away, everything that remained was hope. Hope wears white. Rei wore hope all over her; and she had become Ken's hope. Episode 11 fades away leaving with us facing Ken and Ken's eyes. We've been looking at Rei through him all this time; it's only right we see his miracle, his hope through her eyes.
I cried like a little girl, a happy little girl. :D It's been a lot of fun joining up in this discussion. I hope to see you in other threads; maybe we'll agree even! :P
beautifully said. -i cant find the right emoticon-

User avatar
nanikore
Posts: 226
Joined: Jun 12th, '07, 04:14

Post by nanikore » Jun 29th, '07, 14:56

ninjabunny wrote:
Mavurik wrote:
I disagree. From the get-go Rei used tada and tada let himself be used. He even said himself that he didn't want to know about her past. He was avoiding the unavoidable and he realized this at the end when he let her go. To be frank, it's a good thing Ken said something THEN and not 5 years later or something. Rei already let things get too far.

The fact is Tada and Rei hardly even knew each other yet they were getting married with the attitude "let's get to know each other after we get married". We all saw them say that. That's ridiculous.

After watching the entire series, it's hard to pretend they had a relationship or friendship on the same scale as Rei's relationship with Ken. If anything it might not be the best place to say something, but Ken was definitely justified. If he didn't become honest at some point everything afterwards would have been a lie for everyone involved. Rei would have gone on concealing her feelings or ignoring them and it might have become worse later on, and Ken would have had to face them with the pain in his heart all the time.

He was only being honest which is what a real friend does. Yea he could have lied and acted like they her and Tada were perfect together but everyone knows its bull. Even Rei's father didn't agree with the marriage.

I thought the speech was perfect. It was COMPLETELY in ken's character to do something so unexpected and full of impact like that. It was like the moment with the baseball uniforms and the buttons. He has a different way of doing things but damn, they're always so original and genuine.

As for the ending, I think Rei already knows the answer. It's quite clear. At the end of the episode it was just about is she going to give up again or actually take action and change things and she took action. It's safe to assume that they'll be getting together like they should have long ago.
I thought his whole speech was about giving it a last chance to see if he could reach out to Rei. Remember, when Ken walked into that ceremony after the time slip, the fairy said something like you need to knock on the door of miracles through the present and not the past. So at least, from my understanding, Ken walked into there still with a fighting spirit, with a glimmer of hope, that he could win her back. That's what I thought his mentality was at that moment of the speech.

His last fight was about being a little bit more aggressive because Rei was surely thickheaded and couldn't get the message. So Ken had to say it outright, in plain Japanese to make her understand. I am in support of him doing that because that was his last chance. But it doesn't change that fact that he hijack someone else's wedding. Let's forget about all the characters at the moment. If a best friend was asked to speak at a wedding and then use his time to declare his feelings for the bride in front the groom, friends and family. What do you think of that person?

And I don't know what people are saying that the speech wasn't to get Rei back? Really? you think so? So all the fights that he fought to pry Rei away from Tada was just for kicks? No. The speech was Ken's last stance and everything he did carry a bit of selfishness to it (Remember how he tried to confess before Tada did in the firecracker episode?).

The point was he needed to be bit more aggressive and selfish in order to convey his feelings for her or else she would never understand. She would be a happy (but not satisfied) wife of someone who was more straightforward. Unselfishness is bearing the pain yourself and not let anyone get hurt. From episode 1, Tada was doomed to get hurt because of Ken.

Was Ken's action justified? Absolutely. Like everyone said, Rei really loved Ken and not Tada. Those two dating and getting marry was wrong from the beginning. However, that doesn't change the fact that ken's act was selfish in regards to taking advantage of the power he had at that moment when giving the speech. Ken was a flawed character. He needed to do what he had to in order to get his girl back. Did that entail some acts of selfishness? Yes. Do I support him? Yes.
almost everyone in the room probably supported Rei x Kenzo though right?

and also, there is no way Ken couldve been unselfish because if he beared the pain by himself, Rei would probably be in some pain too. better have one person hurt (Tada) than 2 people right?

User avatar
kurosaki_frank
Posts: 26
Joined: May 15th, '07, 18:37
Location: Puerto Rico
Contact:

Post by kurosaki_frank » Jun 29th, '07, 15:09

lol and now rei has to go through many to get divorced lol
thats messed up
i loved the ending, but not the ending end...
for me it would have been better if she screamed kenzou and showed her looking at him, then him smiling
*end*
but yeah...
it was a really good dorama... MY FIRST!
and i got addicted lol
gokurosamadeshita
Image
Free japanese music downloas @ http://nipponmedia.net

User avatar
haruhi-san
Posts: 179
Joined: Jan 8th, '07, 05:27
Location: The Americas

Post by haruhi-san » Jun 30th, '07, 01:21

I liked how they get to be together... but a special would be nice to see how things turned out and everyone elses lives now. :P
ImageImage
Currently watching
: Moteki, Pro Golfer Hana, Tumbling, You''re Beautiful (korean) , Troubleman, & Hotaru No Hikari 2 . :wub:

lzydata
Posts: 184
Joined: Jul 29th, '05, 10:36
Location: Singapore

Post by lzydata » Jun 30th, '07, 01:30

Btw, somebody's uploaded an "uncut" version of Rei and Eri's rendition of Sakuranbo:


User avatar
spacecommand
Posts: 176
Joined: Jun 3rd, '05, 04:02

Post by spacecommand » Jun 30th, '07, 01:42

Anyone ever wonder if Rei and Tada ever "got it on" if you know what I mean, and I think you do, plus Tada is certainly an olderman, come on, everyone but Mikio can't be clean as a whistle.

Special episode.
Rei needs to divorce Tada, but Tada sues the pants off Ken. Exciting!

User avatar
mangifera
Posts: 14
Joined: Dec 5th, '06, 12:38
Location: Kuantan->Tronoh->KL

Post by mangifera » Jun 30th, '07, 02:27

LOVE is selfish.

Tada is in know what happen between Rei and Kenzo but he take his chance. Kenzo refuse to take his chance or should i say, he's a pure problematic man as we see today; a man who not can't decide on his feeling. Only after Rei away from him, he feel the pain. well, i bet lots of us feel the same when we're still young. man are ignorant to their feeling (unless you been feeding with love story as soon as you were born on earth).

so, what happened to this kind of man? either they let it go or they just keep regretting about it. you need to see the different between Tada and Kenzo:

Tada is a man who tell what he feel, when he feel. eventhough he's too technical, but he put it nicely.

Kenzo is man who is been too long with macho image among his male colleague thus make he ignorant to his feeling. Kenzo is afraid to admit it cause he afraid it might ruin his image. Yeah, a thickheaded man who are so ego. that's why along the way, you could see how Kenzo want to find suitable time to confess because what he know about love is like in dream. you need to confess properly, in private time, romantic moment but eventually, he fail to find that time cause Rei never take him seriously.

come on, who will take Kenzo seriously? even i won't take him seriously cause he's kind of hanky panky, crude guy who what came out his mouth never been serious thing. so, when he trying to make it serious, it look very funny indeed. well, ever meet this kind of guy? i bet you would, a guy who image is playfull at every time.

so, it's hard to convince people that he's actually serious. not even a single person believe that he's serious about Rei and this mentality built up along his life in people's mind around him. so, who would believe that this kind of guy really serious about you or just trying to pull his dreadful prank on you? after all, kenzo always pul jokes and fight over Rei.

seriously, i been into Kenzo place. I'm a happy go lucky guy, a joker amongst my circle of frenz so people hardly distinguish me for being serious or just trying to pull my prank. it takes lots of courage to confess to girl that i like and most of time, they won't believe in me. and i even confess to my best friend and what she thought was i trying to pull prank on her. how bad is that?

so, to be fair, i know how does it feel to be iwase kenzo. you might want to look back and see how Rei feel that Kenzo might be serious but she turn down that feeling. And they always questioned it like this; "why are you being so serious suddenly?" while laughing. and for that phrase, kenzo stop from go to confess about it. you will see this alot during Kenzo's highschool time.

who said this kind of ending is not good? you see, few things better left unsaid. this dorama seriously remind me of "The Graduate", "Runaway Bride" and "The Wedding Singer". It use the same premise, a shocking confession which turn the table and the bride goes away with other man. Tada san know the fact that something is happened between Kenzo and Rei but he still giving it a shot. Maybe he's a bit blunt kind of guy, but he clearly can sense that (remember the episode where he see how Rei not comfortable when Kenzo not hoping along during watching sunrise at new year?). He know that, but he dismiss that cause he want to take his chance. It's never his fault that he giving it a try but the fact that he dismissed it make him as ignorant as Kenzo.

And if you could see Kenzo's speech as immoral, then let see what Tada san trying to pull when he put one button in each of his hand? some might say that he's is a saint that trying to let go Rei but on the other side of perspective, he's trying to convince himself that Rei won't go away even if he said it's a destiny cause he believe with all his heart that Rei in love with him. Unluckily, he's wrong about it. Rei never think the possiblities of that. Tada san also immoral for trying to satisfy his feeling by giving Rei no choice. But what's in Rei mind totally about Kenzo at that moment thus make his trick totally blown away. he's trying to make Rei stay but Rei mind no longer about Tada. either way, tada would win. if Rei stay, he's manage to convince Rei, if Rei go, he will be seeing as a saint trying to let Rei go with whatever effort he has.

Tada san also selfish because he realize that Kenzo and Rei are in love but he refuse to believe that and take his chance. It's just he not pulling it at anybody wedding make him morally right. If love about the best man win, then let them fight along the way. IF tada willing to have Rei, he will stop Rei. He will convince Rei that Rei will be happy with him. after all, tada never let himself telling rei that, never give assurance to rei on that.

so, i think it's predictable ending. i dunno, i been watching lots of movie with this kind of ending, ending which let subtle for us to decide what will happen. Maybe when Rei called Ken with "Ken-zo" make we realize that Rei is back to Ken and that's enough to it. maybe Rei never go back to Kenzo, he just want Ken to stay happy to know that Ken's existance is important to Rei thus Rei never forget Kenzo in his life, as being major person. THe ending emphasis on, as long as your existance been seen as significant in other's people life, it's good enough to make you happy. Changes happened, we will get married, we rarely contacting with each other but as long as we remember each other, it's good enough to believe that you been doing big impact on others people life.

that's why tada said "you go solve your problem" and not "you go get him". who said rei will go back to kenzo? hahahaha. i just make this thing much complicated than it's already is. :P

indokid
Posts: 164
Joined: Apr 1st, '06, 11:49
Location: sg

Post by indokid » Jun 30th, '07, 04:08

finished this in 2 days.. first jpn drama i watched this year
was fun and addictive to watch.. but i don't really agree with the final ep

what is ken-zo thinking when he made that speech? he have had many chances to confess to her directly one-to-one, yet he chose such an occassion to make a speech so disrespectful(to the groom).. and furthermore, he got applauses after the speech? I was expecting tada to stop him from talking or something.. instead the wimp went along and let go of his bride w/o any fight.. :scratch:

what the hell... was fun to watch while it lasted anyway

fastat3m
Posts: 49
Joined: Mar 7th, '06, 07:16
Location: Los Angeles

Post by fastat3m » Jun 30th, '07, 06:05

indokid wrote:finished this in 2 days.. first jpn drama i watched this year
was fun and addictive to watch.. but i don't really agree with the final ep

what is ken-zo thinking when he made that speech? he have had many chances to confess to her directly one-to-one, yet he chose such an occassion to make a speech so disrespectful(to the groom).. and furthermore, he got applauses after the speech? I was expecting tada to stop him from talking or something.. instead the wimp went along and let go of his bride w/o any fight.. :scratch:

what the hell... was fun to watch while it lasted anyway
I feel like I can relate to Tada. I am kind a calm person. Personally, I think I would have reacted the same way as Tada. I wouldn't have said anything during the speech for several reasons. First, I don't know what I would say, because I don't usually get pissed like that. My thinking would be that if she really loves me, it doesn't matter what he says. Second, I would be in shock that he would be saying that at my wedding. Personally, I think it was the right decision for him to let her go for several reasons. First, if you don't let her go and see, she'll have doubts for the rest of your marriage. Second, you'll have doubts about your marriage. A marriage without trust, in my opinion, is a marriage destined to fail. I have no problem with the way Tada reacted during the end, because I feel if he would have done something to stop him, it would be totally out of character. I'm just like Tada, I don't really get angry and try to keep things calm. I may be considered a wimp by some, but I can't change who I am and neither can Tada.

User avatar
Love Angel
Posts: 342
Joined: Mar 5th, '06, 18:06
Location: UAE

Post by Love Angel » Jun 30th, '07, 08:47

I think the ending fits this drama perfectly..


I really enjoyed watching each episode of this drama and enjoyed reading the analyzes and the comments in this thread..really great :thumright:

This drama is my favorite this year (till now)

and thaanks lunargen & Love Song for the great sub :thumleft:

sakurachan
Posts: 55
Joined: May 21st, '07, 10:07

Post by sakurachan » Jun 30th, '07, 15:09

Alright, someone has to say it ... at the conclusion of PROPOSAL DAISAKUSEN, we have

DAI SEIKOU!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

amirvero
Posts: 160
Joined: Jun 1st, '07, 21:30
Location: California

Post by amirvero » Jun 30th, '07, 19:56

wait I am confused she ended up marrying Tada and then left him to go with Kenzo right?
The drama wasn't that bad. It made me cry almost in every single episode and the ending wasn't all that great but it wasn't bad :alcoholic:
Believe

rubymoon322
Posts: 3
Joined: May 3rd, '07, 19:35

Post by rubymoon322 » Jun 30th, '07, 20:25

I love love love this drama. The ending was good, I liked it. Although I wouldn't have minded if there was some more kissing or hugging or something at the end either.

BTW what does "Dondake" mean? Yamapi says it at the end, and i can't find it in my dictionary :x Thats about the hardest thing about learning a language, the slang is so hard to get!

User avatar
ladysaotome
Posts: 83
Joined: Jan 6th, '07, 06:56
Location: South Dakota

Post by ladysaotome » Jun 30th, '07, 23:28

spacecommand wrote:Anyone ever wonder if Rei and Tada ever "got it on" if you know what I mean, and I think you do, plus Tada is certainly an olderman, come on, everyone but Mikio can't be clean as a whistle.

Special episode.
Rei needs to divorce Tada, but Tada sues the pants off Ken. Exciting!
Couldn't she just get an annulment?

Graymouse
Posts: 197
Joined: May 5th, '07, 14:52
Location: Sasebo, Japan

Post by Graymouse » Jun 30th, '07, 23:39

rubymoon322 wrote:I love love love this drama. The ending was good, I liked it. Although I wouldn't have minded if there was some more kissing or hugging or something at the end either.

BTW what does "Dondake" mean? Yamapi says it at the end, and i can't find it in my dictionary :x Thats about the hardest thing about learning a language, the slang is so hard to get!
ONDAKE means how much. In this context however I believe it was "how much gas do you have?" basically How can you run out of gas!

User avatar
japysia
Posts: 203
Joined: Feb 19th, '06, 06:47

Post by japysia » Jul 1st, '07, 00:41

Graymouse wrote:
rubymoon322 wrote:I love love love this drama. The ending was good, I liked it. Although I wouldn't have minded if there was some more kissing or hugging or something at the end either.

BTW what does "Dondake" mean? Yamapi says it at the end, and i can't find it in my dictionary :x Thats about the hardest thing about learning a language, the slang is so hard to get!
ONDAKE means how much. In this context however I believe it was "how much gas do you have?" basically How can you run out of gas!
No.that's not what dondake really means and actually it's dondake~.It is a hayari kotoba in japan right now.Do you know 'fouu~' by Lazor Ramon Hard Gay or 'chotto chotto chotto' by The Touch.It's something like that.
Watch this if you want to know how this word became popular:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_48742.htm
:thumleft: ~ サトラレ ~ 心の声がサトラレる。。。 :thumright:

ziazia
Posts: 14
Joined: May 1st, '06, 00:20

Post by ziazia » Jul 1st, '07, 04:01

omg i love this drama yes is one of the best jdrama this yr! love how the storyline goes. i guess the reason that is good was because of how they play with past regrets like i guess everyone want to change somehting in their past! and like i could totally understand why kenzou couldnt said it before the went back to the past! :salut: :salut:

love it! :cheers: but now im sad that the drama is over. no more yamapi! :alcoholic: :alcoholic: :crazy:

User avatar
Neeko
Posts: 21
Joined: Jul 21st, '04, 06:29
Contact:

Post by Neeko » Jul 1st, '07, 04:04

What an incredibly repetitive, drawn-out drama. Entertaining and touching at some points, but to be honest I was bored after the first 8 episodes. Initially watching, I was drawn to the drama because it set up such an interesting story line. I always liked the idea of "What ifs?" in life, and what would happen if that one moment in time we decided to do something different, how would it affect us in the future? Kind of like the movie The Butterfly Effect, I was expecting something along the lines of that (of course, not everything). Again, the first few episodes I was hooked, because it seemed like the writers were setting up something really great, but after 8 or 9 episodes of the same thing happening over and over again with hardly any conclusion whatsoever, I was hoping that in the very last minute the writers would pull something clever out, but alas... no.

I found it incredibly hard to believe that after 9 (or was it 10?) tries of going back to the past, Kenzo was unable to display his feelings for her. It was believable at first, which was one of the reasons why this drama was so good in the beginning. I understand the whole subtlety in changing Rei's vision of Kenzo, but after the first five or so time-slips, there really was no excuse. She was in love with him, he was in love with her... and had more than enough chances to show that to her. Everything started to drag out, and went down hill from there. For someone who had several chances to go back and change the past, all Kenzo did was the same thing over again, except some crazy revelation in the end, moments before the picture was taken. He knew when the picture would be taken, he knew exactly how much time he had left, yet for the entire episode it seemed he just wasted his time and chances. Again, it was very believable in the beginning, but started to lack the credibility near the end.

I think one of the biggest things that bothered me was how Kenzo NEVER changed, until the VERY last episode. The writers had all these chances to show development in his character, but in every single episode he progressed the same way: Broody "I'll Never Get Rei" Kenzo, to "Oh wait, maybe there's a chance with Rei if I do this at the very last minute" => "Damn, I guess I'll never get Rei again" Broody Kenzo. And how many "Last Hallelujah" chances was he given? 3? 4? That's a huge sign that the writers didn't really know where to bring the story. "This is your last chance, Kenzo! What?! You failed?! Fine, but you better not screw up this time because THIS is your last chance. Okay, I lied, this time it's your last one." Do they honestly thing the viewers would buy this? I didn't.

The first 5 or 6 episodes were fabulous. It was hilarious, credible, and sincerely genuine. I enjoyed all the characters acting, and the storyline was wonderfully crafted. I don't know what happened near the end, but the potential for an incredibly drama was suddenly taken away as the conclusion was supposed to be near. The last episode was unbearable to watch. Kenzo was given all the chances in the world, and the one moment he decides to confess his feelings is in front of everyone, at REI'S wedding, and in front of Tada? Do you know how incredibly awkward that would make things? I know, this is a drama, it's not real life, but honestly, there has to be some limitations to that statement. It was just so inappropriate. His words were nice, and romantic, but really, if he was in a room with just Rei confessing his feelings in the same way, it would have been a lot nicer IMHO. The whole clapping in the end by the crowd was cheezy and cliche.

I did like Tada's button thing he did in the end, probably the only scene I enjoyed. He really was giving Rei a choice. She was wavering, and needed to decide. If she really did love Tada and wanted to be with him, regardless of picking the button, she would throw "destiny" away and be with him. However, if she really did love Kenzo and wanted to really be with him, she would take the button as a sign of "destiny." A clever way to tie up the TadaxRei relationship. Too bad this cleverness wasn't apparent throughout the whole series.

Such a disappointment. I was really hooked on this drama in the beginning. I loved Yamapi's acting, and it was just so enjoyable to watch that I couldn't wait for the next episode. Such a shame. Hopefully Yamapi's next drama will be a lot better.

User avatar
DramaholicxD
Posts: 107
Joined: Apr 11th, '07, 00:25
Location: Under Your Bed

Post by DramaholicxD » Jul 1st, '07, 04:09

Yeah.. I gotta say Neeko's right.. they kinda dragged the middle.. only the beginning and the final was good. cause he kept chancing actually I thought he'd stay in the past xDD
Image
credits to foofeh <33 [:
Image
credits to Twistee <33 :]

User avatar
*kawaii*
Posts: 111
Joined: Nov 30th, '05, 08:49
Location: in my room

Post by *kawaii* » Jul 1st, '07, 06:19

i like the drama idea so much
photo slide
back to past
enable to change the past too much
because he didn't change him self first
when he talk (wedding speach)
he was changed from inside
thats why
he effected Rie the most
and man !! she leaved her husband and ran after him
poor tada san
but good and surprising ending
Image
Currently watching
Can you hear my heart :wub:

elaeye
Posts: 42
Joined: Jun 25th, '07, 06:21
Location: Australia

Post by elaeye » Jul 1st, '07, 08:51

I just watched the ending for real so here are my leftover thoughts.
I really must grate on about YamaPi's acting in the last episode. I adored Pi for the most part (especially Episode...8? Where he gets the Don't Knock New York Bag...that crying scene moved me to tears as well) but really...did the director demand he look more "passionate" in his crying?

Because passionate =/= heaving shoulders with actual absence of flowing tears and repetitive changing of hand position.

Yes/No?

I really, really hoped he could actually do the Episode 8 crying - not moving but still crying with silent tears. It just transports the grief to another level and makes it seem less fake (also draws more attention to Yamapi's handsome grief-stricken face that is sure to get the fangirls squealing =P).

Also, his smile at the end was forced. I was expecting a gentle, soft kind of smile (at the sight of Rei you know?) but it looked vaguely like he was in the middle of deciding between a full on grin or a subtle smile. In short...very awkward-looking.

Masami's acting, in a different light, is commendable; she really nailed the facial expressions and Rei's obvious indecision and confusion. So yeah, she did a good job for this especially since her crying looked really genuine (which is a good thing because she does a lot of crying in the episode).

And why finish the "main" part of the episode with the back of the leaving taxi? Isn't the whole point of the last scene that Rei has to catch up with Ken-zou? Showing how difficult her job will be (especially since I see mountains in the background...seriously, how far as Ken driven?). If I were the director, I'd show a shot of the car stopping and breaking down or something to show that fate's been nice to them and also to connect to the car breaking down in the little "extra" bit.
But for the most part, the series was enjoyable and also a huge thank you to all the subbers and people who have been generous enough to upload these videos for downloading. My thanks to you all :thumright:

indokid
Posts: 164
Joined: Apr 1st, '06, 11:49
Location: sg

Post by indokid » Jul 1st, '07, 09:01

hey if anyone interested
someone made a piano sheet(in .ove format) for track 18 of the drama OST
i played it for a while.. it's as good as perfect

i can't directly link it, haven't ask permission from the author
but here's the original link ->http://bbs.popiano.org/viewthread.php?t ... a=page%3D1

User avatar
j_halo7
Posts: 374
Joined: Feb 16th, '07, 06:04
Location: Singapore

Post by j_halo7 » Jul 1st, '07, 13:03

japysia wrote:
Graymouse wrote:
rubymoon322 wrote:I love love love this drama. The ending was good, I liked it. Although I wouldn't have minded if there was some more kissing or hugging or something at the end either.

BTW what does "Dondake" mean? Yamapi says it at the end, and i can't find it in my dictionary :x Thats about the hardest thing about learning a language, the slang is so hard to get!
ONDAKE means how much. In this context however I believe it was "how much gas do you have?" basically How can you run out of gas!
No.that's not what dondake really means and actually it's dondake~.It is a hayari kotoba in japan right now.Do you know 'fouu~' by Lazor Ramon Hard Gay or 'chotto chotto chotto' by The Touch.It's something like that.
Watch this if you want to know how this word became popular:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_48742.htm
so wat does Dondake mean? i wikied and get that its like a catchy phrase, right? so like when do u use it?

amirvero
Posts: 160
Joined: Jun 1st, '07, 21:30
Location: California

Post by amirvero » Jul 1st, '07, 18:55

indokid wrote:hey if anyone interested
someone made a piano sheet(in .ove format) for track 18 of the drama OST
i played it for a while.. it's as good as perfect

i can't directly link it, haven't ask permission from the author
but here's the original link ->http://bbs.popiano.org/viewthread.php?t ... a=page%3D1
thanks for the piano sheet
Believe

User avatar
Lifo
Posts: 244
Joined: Oct 28th, '06, 11:47
Location: Neo Universe

Post by Lifo » Jul 1st, '07, 19:07

I HATED the ending.

User avatar
tamia1146
Posts: 3
Joined: Aug 17th, '05, 07:05
Location: currently in uk

Post by tamia1146 » Jul 1st, '07, 19:32

j_halo7 wrote:
japysia wrote:
Graymouse wrote:
ONDAKE means how much. In this context however I believe it was "how much gas do you have?" basically How can you run out of gas!
No.that's not what dondake really means and actually it's dondake~.It is a hayari kotoba in japan right now.Do you know 'fouu~' by Lazor Ramon Hard Gay or 'chotto chotto chotto' by The Touch.It's something like that.
Watch this if you want to know how this word became popular:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_48742.htm
so wat does Dondake mean? i wikied and get that its like a catchy phrase, right? so like when do u use it?
hi im new here!!but i watched u guys already 4 a long time..hihi

im rewatching prodai..he said dondake many times b4 and love song translated them to 'seriously'.i dunno if im wrong.but yeah..he said that lots of time.i also wanna use it then!! :lol

User avatar
raelins
Posts: 11
Joined: Apr 9th, '06, 21:14
Location: Los Angeles

Post by raelins » Jul 1st, '07, 21:48

my 2c on prodai :
I basically marathoned through the first 9 eps and loving every single one of them. I figured I'd saved eps 10 and 11 and watch it all together cuz I know I'll get antsy as heck if I only watched 10 b4 11 came out. However when I finally got both eps (btw thanks again to Lunargen for the excellent subs) and watched it, I came out with a really major disappointment at how the series ended. To me it feels like 2 different writers wrote it, one wrote the first 9, and one wrote the last 2 eps. In the last 2 eps, everything feels kinda of nice and beautiful cinematically but feels majorly disjointed and wth is up with that ending although I gotta agree with what everyone's been saying about Tada's cufflink thing in the end (great scene). All in all, i should've stopped watching after 10 when Rei and Kenzou were running away (from eps 11)...

Lockewinter
Posts: 11
Joined: Jun 3rd, '07, 20:33

Post by Lockewinter » Jul 1st, '07, 22:14

j_halo7 wrote:
japysia wrote:
Graymouse wrote:
ONDAKE means how much. In this context however I believe it was "how much gas do you have?" basically How can you run out of gas!
No.that's not what dondake really means and actually it's dondake~.It is a hayari kotoba in japan right now.Do you know 'fouu~' by Lazor Ramon Hard Gay or 'chotto chotto chotto' by The Touch.It's something like that.
Watch this if you want to know how this word became popular:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_48742.htm
so wat does Dondake mean? i wikied and get that its like a catchy phrase, right? so like when do u use it?
It's an expression of amazement and surprise or disbelief, similar to "What the hell!" "Huh?!" or "You've got to be kidding me!" It's usually not a pleasant surprise or disbelief, like at a surprise party and more of a frustrated disbelief. It can however be so, especially out of admiration. ("You drank all that beer!?") Frequently, it's becoming more common as something you casually insert in conversation and in that case, it has a meaning closer to maji de, the "seriously" kind of insertion Love Song apparently translated it as. (Sorry I watched the raws, wouldn't know.)

ladymurasaki
Posts: 31
Joined: May 12th, '07, 20:32

Post by ladymurasaki » Jul 2nd, '07, 04:06

raelins wrote:my 2c on prodai :
I basically marathoned through the first 9 eps and loving every single one of them. I figured I'd saved eps 10 and 11 and watch it all together cuz I know I'll get antsy as heck if I only watched 10 b4 11 came out. However when I finally got both eps (btw thanks again to Lunargen for the excellent subs) and watched it, I came out with a really major disappointment at how the series ended. To me it feels like 2 different writers wrote it, one wrote the first 9, and one wrote the last 2 eps. In the last 2 eps, everything feels kinda of nice and beautiful cinematically but feels majorly disjointed and wth is up with that ending although I gotta agree with what everyone's been saying about Tada's cufflink thing in the end (great scene). All in all, i should've stopped watching after 10 when Rei and Kenzou were running away (from eps 11)...
I agree, actually. The tone changed significantly from the start of the series to the finish.

And while many things bore out as we had predicted--Rei had to change in addition to Kenzo, Tada's older teacher creepiness served its purpose when he of the older-and-wiser persuation let her go--the bizarre ending felt tacked on and as though an entirely different hand had written it. Not at all organic. I wonder if there was a major and hasty rewrite toward the end of production.

User avatar
j_halo7
Posts: 374
Joined: Feb 16th, '07, 06:04
Location: Singapore

Post by j_halo7 » Jul 2nd, '07, 04:08

Graymouse wrote:It's an expression of amazement and surprise or disbelief, similar to "What the hell!" "Huh?!" or "You've got to be kidding me!" It's usually not a pleasant surprise or disbelief, like at a surprise party and more of a frustrated disbelief. It can however be so, especially out of admiration. ("You drank all that beer!?") Frequently, it's becoming more common as something you casually insert in conversation and in that case, it has a meaning closer to maji de, the "seriously" kind of insertion Love Song apparently translated it as. (Sorry I watched the raws, wouldn't know.)
ah thanks. i guess its still safer to use maji de to not convey the wrong message to other people.

User avatar
cassius
Posts: 51
Joined: Feb 14th, '04, 14:49
Location: Sydney

Post by cassius » Jul 2nd, '07, 10:11

what an ending....i feel like someone just sucker punched me in the stomach....

after all that build up and imagery from the intro??!! and this is how they end it?...i hardly ever post on forums but this ending is really unsatisfying for me and i just feel like typing something...

please tell me there's gonna be a special...

User avatar
yuwing
Posts: 12
Joined: Mar 8th, '06, 20:10

Post by yuwing » Jul 2nd, '07, 15:10

You've summed up everything I thought nicely :mrgreen:
Neeko wrote:What an incredibly repetitive, drawn-out drama. Entertaining and touching at some points, but to be honest I was bored after the first 8 episodes. Initially watching, I was drawn to the drama because it set up such an interesting story line. I always liked the idea of "What ifs?" in life, and what would happen if that one moment in time we decided to do something different, how would it affect us in the future? Kind of like the movie The Butterfly Effect, I was expecting something along the lines of that (of course, not everything). Again, the first few episodes I was hooked, because it seemed like the writers were setting up something really great, but after 8 or 9 episodes of the same thing happening over and over again with hardly any conclusion whatsoever, I was hoping that in the very last minute the writers would pull something clever out, but alas... no.

I found it incredibly hard to believe that after 9 (or was it 10?) tries of going back to the past, Kenzo was unable to display his feelings for her. It was believable at first, which was one of the reasons why this drama was so good in the beginning. I understand the whole subtlety in changing Rei's vision of Kenzo, but after the first five or so time-slips, there really was no excuse. She was in love with him, he was in love with her... and had more than enough chances to show that to her. Everything started to drag out, and went down hill from there. For someone who had several chances to go back and change the past, all Kenzo did was the same thing over again, except some crazy revelation in the end, moments before the picture was taken. He knew when the picture would be taken, he knew exactly how much time he had left, yet for the entire episode it seemed he just wasted his time and chances. Again, it was very believable in the beginning, but started to lack the credibility near the end.

I think one of the biggest things that bothered me was how Kenzo NEVER changed, until the VERY last episode. The writers had all these chances to show development in his character, but in every single episode he progressed the same way: Broody "I'll Never Get Rei" Kenzo, to "Oh wait, maybe there's a chance with Rei if I do this at the very last minute" => "Damn, I guess I'll never get Rei again" Broody Kenzo. And how many "Last Hallelujah" chances was he given? 3? 4? That's a huge sign that the writers didn't really know where to bring the story. "This is your last chance, Kenzo! What?! You failed?! Fine, but you better not screw up this time because THIS is your last chance. Okay, I lied, this time it's your last one." Do they honestly thing the viewers would buy this? I didn't.

The first 5 or 6 episodes were fabulous. It was hilarious, credible, and sincerely genuine. I enjoyed all the characters acting, and the storyline was wonderfully crafted. I don't know what happened near the end, but the potential for an incredibly drama was suddenly taken away as the conclusion was supposed to be near. The last episode was unbearable to watch. Kenzo was given all the chances in the world, and the one moment he decides to confess his feelings is in front of everyone, at REI'S wedding, and in front of Tada? Do you know how incredibly awkward that would make things? I know, this is a drama, it's not real life, but honestly, there has to be some limitations to that statement. It was just so inappropriate. His words were nice, and romantic, but really, if he was in a room with just Rei confessing his feelings in the same way, it would have been a lot nicer IMHO. The whole clapping in the end by the crowd was cheezy and cliche.

I did like Tada's button thing he did in the end, probably the only scene I enjoyed. He really was giving Rei a choice. She was wavering, and needed to decide. If she really did love Tada and wanted to be with him, regardless of picking the button, she would throw "destiny" away and be with him. However, if she really did love Kenzo and wanted to really be with him, she would take the button as a sign of "destiny." A clever way to tie up the TadaxRei relationship. Too bad this cleverness wasn't apparent throughout the whole series.

Such a disappointment. I was really hooked on this drama in the beginning. I loved Yamapi's acting, and it was just so enjoyable to watch that I couldn't wait for the next episode. Such a shame. Hopefully Yamapi's next drama will be a lot better.

User avatar
Sapphiro
Posts: 6
Joined: Jul 2nd, '07, 16:53
Location: Poland

Post by Sapphiro » Jul 2nd, '07, 17:24

Maybe ending could be better but overall this drama is OMFGWTFPWNED :wub: :w00t: I like it very much.
I was almost 100% sure Yosei will ask Rei in the church if she didn't regret something in her past. Then she is given only one and "last hallelujah chance" :lol and comes back to the past and gives return 1st kiss on that stairs to Yamapi :wub: ahhh that was my ending
Soya Milk Drunkard :alcoholic:

User avatar
myunoyume
Posts: 123
Joined: Feb 7th, '07, 15:59
Location: Furansu
Contact:

Post by myunoyume » Jul 3rd, '07, 07:56

I watched again Ep1 and Ep11 and I have to say:

Yamapi's hair cut is better in Ep1 than in Ep11... but this should be the same moment :glare: :blink

yeah, yeah, I know, they do not shoot all Ep in the same time...

just a silly post to get out these serious post about good or bad ending....

just enjoy the story as writers wanted to tell us the story...

life still goes on, and upcoming drama too... :cheers:

User avatar
cassius
Posts: 51
Joined: Feb 14th, '04, 14:49
Location: Sydney

Post by cassius » Jul 3rd, '07, 13:47

myunoyume wrote:I watched again Ep1 and Ep11 and I have to say:

Yamapi's hair cut is better in Ep1 than in Ep11... but this should be the same moment :glare: :blink

yeah, yeah, I know, they do not shoot all Ep in the same time...

:
haha...i just noticed that too.... :P

still, i gotta say...im still bitter about the ending...i was really hooked on this series! and even though ive seen alot of doramas before, this has to be the first one i was really looking forward to watching after a new episode was released...i really liked this one and i was completely unsatisfied about how it ends...now that ive watched the ending again though, i guess it isnt so bad...it certainly leaves alot of openings for a special to be made...

User avatar
michelle_moraes
Posts: 14
Joined: May 13th, '07, 16:48
Location: Kansas

Post by michelle_moraes » Jul 3rd, '07, 14:30

Sapphiro wrote:
I was almost 100% sure Yosei will ask Rei in the church if she didn't regret something in her past. Then she is given only one and "last hallelujah chance" :lol and comes back to the past and gives return 1st kiss on that stairs to Yamapi :wub: ahhh that was my ending
That would have been a much better ending! That way they would have had much more time to make the relationship go forward!

User avatar
Sapphiro
Posts: 6
Joined: Jul 2nd, '07, 16:53
Location: Poland

Post by Sapphiro » Jul 4th, '07, 09:10

That would have been a much better ending! That way they would have had much more time to make the relationship go forward!
Hahaha thx but it's not that hard to invent a better ending for Prodai after all :P

Still luv that drama :wub:

User avatar
unknowndevices
Posts: 55
Joined: Feb 15th, '05, 14:47

Post by unknowndevices » Jul 4th, '07, 15:11

cassius wrote:
haha...i just noticed that too.... :P

still, i gotta say...im still bitter about the ending...i was really hooked on this series! and even though ive seen alot of doramas before, this has to be the first one i was really looking forward to watching after a new episode was released...i really liked this one and i was completely unsatisfied about how it ends...now that ive watched the ending again though, i guess it isnt so bad...it certainly leaves alot of openings for a special to be made...
wah!...this dorama really super frustrating, touching, exciting, cool and making the viewers keep on looking forward for its next episode... :goggle:
so sad its end now...wonder if there any other good and touching dorama as this one...hehehe...PEACE!... :thumright:
ImageImage

fto_osakadreams
Posts: 55
Joined: Mar 10th, '07, 20:55
Location: Southern California~

Post by fto_osakadreams » Jul 5th, '07, 08:34

The ending was perfect. I can't express anything in words. :cry:

blue_shoe
Posts: 13
Joined: Jul 31st, '06, 09:06

Post by blue_shoe » Jul 5th, '07, 09:39

Just finished this drama, loved it, but ending could have been better. Didn't like the fact that Ken confessed his feeling at the wedding, come on now, he literally destroyed the wedding, and potentially ruin Tanda-Sensei's life....Tada and Rei deserve to be together, Rei did admit she was happy with Tada. Come on Tada had the balls to confess, he deserves her more.

My perfect ending: Ken actually travel back to his childhood and totally forget about ever meeting Rei, I would prefer this to take place after the episode when Rei accepts Tanda's proposal (Ken was too devastated to do anything lol, plus he did some what confessed his love to Rei when he hugged her but Rei still went on to accept Tada...). Then on the day of the wedding day he was jogging and ran across the same church that Rei was marrying in and glance at Rei, and Rei would glance back as if they have known each other before. While he was staring at the beautiful the bride, the love parachute accidentally lands in his arms. The whole crowd grew quiet as the camera focuses only on Ken and Rei who are looking at each other deeply and yet unaware what relationship they once held among each other. Sad music kicks in and the screen fades away......... END!

On the bright note, can any1 recommend me another jdrama just like this!! I like cheezy love story, cliche story, cute scenes, with hot actor/actress. Thanks

LOL, im sorry but wat does 'dorama' means?

bria333
Posts: 31
Joined: Nov 13th, '06, 02:20
Location: Australia

Post by bria333 » Jul 5th, '07, 15:02

Can someone please translate the katakana at the very end. I can read the hiragana
"this door....." but not the rest.
thanks!

hadmish
Posts: 92
Joined: Jun 18th, '06, 02:42
Location: somewhere desperately missing Japan

Post by hadmish » Jul 5th, '07, 15:22

you mean
このドラマはフィクションです?
this drama is fiction.....
shown at the end of almost all dramas.

User avatar
littlemafia
Posts: 98
Joined: Oct 6th, '06, 18:53
Location: Junki's HomE
Contact:

Post by littlemafia » Jul 5th, '07, 15:31

dont like d ending.. quite short.. when kenzo confess his feeling on Rei's wedding.. dont like them too...
honestly like d whole story.. just d end.. quite disapointed
tada really kind..

moral of d stry: honest with urself.. (n_n)v

User avatar
epi
Posts: 87
Joined: Nov 15th, '06, 16:23
Location: here

Post by epi » Jul 5th, '07, 15:33

blue_shoe wrote: My perfect ending: Ken actually travel back to his childhood and totally forget about ever meeting Rei, I would prefer this to take place after the episode when Rei accepts Tanda's proposal (Ken was too devastated to do anything lol, plus he did some what confessed his love to Rei when he hugged her but Rei still went on to accept Tada...). Then on the day of the wedding day he was jogging and ran across the same church that Rei was marrying in and glance at Rei, and Rei would glance back as if they have known each other before. While he was staring at the beautiful the bride, the love parachute accidentally lands in his arms. The whole crowd grew quiet as the camera focuses only on Ken and Rei who are looking at each other deeply and yet unaware what relationship they once held among each other. Sad music kicks in and the screen fades away......... END!

On the bright note, can any1 recommend me another jdrama just like this!! I like cheezy love story, cliche story, cute scenes, with hot actor/actress. Thanks

LOL, im sorry but wat does 'dorama' means?
Wahh your idea of perfect ending is somewhat heart-wrenching I think ... :O It's like a drama that leaves the viewers feeling wistful afterwards ... but hey I understand that people have different ideas of perfect ending.

Anyway another jdrama like this is probably Tatta Hitotsu no Koi starring Kame. There are tons of good love story kind of jdrama actually. A few that I like are Orange Days, Beautiful Life (not really cheezy), Pride, Good Luck, and I guess HYD too ... There are too many that I'm drawing blanks now :lol

User avatar
Seelenfang
Posts: 41
Joined: May 11th, '06, 22:53
Location: wo die Weser einen großen Bogen macht

Post by Seelenfang » Jul 5th, '07, 17:11

I also agree with the other post, especially from blue_shoe.
Poor Tada-san :cry:

If you want to see some light love stories, I'd recommend: Itsumo Futari de, Last Christmas and Moto kare.

Greetz
Tobi
Image

User avatar
unknowndevices
Posts: 55
Joined: Feb 15th, '05, 14:47

Post by unknowndevices » Jul 5th, '07, 18:21

blue_shoe wrote: My perfect ending: Ken actually travel back to his childhood and totally forget about ever meeting Rei, I would prefer this to take place after the episode when Rei accepts Tanda's proposal (Ken was too devastated to do anything lol, plus he did some what confessed his love to Rei when he hugged her but Rei still went on to accept Tada...). Then on the day of the wedding day he was jogging and ran across the same church that Rei was marrying in and glance at Rei, and Rei would glance back as if they have known each other before. While he was staring at the beautiful the bride, the love parachute accidentally lands in his arms. The whole crowd grew quiet as the camera focuses only on Ken and Rei who are looking at each other deeply and yet unaware what relationship they once held among each other. Sad music kicks in and the screen fades away......... END!

On the bright note, can any1 recommend me another jdrama just like this!! I like cheezy love story, cliche story, cute scenes, with hot actor/actress. Thanks

LOL, im sorry but wat does 'dorama' means?
wah!....your ending nice also what...really really making people 'super frustrating'... :lol
i prefer they add another one more episode to make the ending more touching and 'angry'...:roll
making Ken returning back to his childhood time in order to forget is really really that would be hard for Ken to do...sure the viewer will be more frustrating...:w00t:
then making Ken jumps back to future as he walk near the same location and looking at each other as if they knew...
then there comes the complicated parts where all their good and sweet memories suddenly return and turn the whole thing another way around(isn't it almost alike the drama one,different situation and confession :P)....
wahahahahahaha...thats just my ideas only... PEACE!.... :thumright:

anyway its really a nice and complicated drama... :D
anyway,hope you guys can suggest good drama to watch... :-)
ImageImage

piru666
Posts: 24
Joined: Jun 9th, '06, 07:34

Post by piru666 » Jul 5th, '07, 18:50

Do you think there is a second one of this drama? I hope because the ending is for me the meaning of it.

kiwigloomy
Posts: 49
Joined: May 7th, '05, 20:06

Post by kiwigloomy » Jul 5th, '07, 19:00

rubymoon322 wrote:I love love love this drama. The ending was good, I liked it. Although I wouldn't have minded if there was some more kissing or hugging or something at the end either.

BTW what does "Dondake" mean? Yamapi says it at the end, and i can't find it in my dictionary :x Thats about the hardest thing about learning a language, the slang is so hard to get!
Go watch Lincoln, they like to say "Dondake" a lot, and where it came from... Then you would learn how to use it efficiently... :thumleft: :lol
It seems to be getting more and more popular these days... :goggle:

User avatar
Kath-Lee
Posts: 99
Joined: Jul 7th, '06, 10:41

Post by Kath-Lee » Jul 5th, '07, 20:56

Sorry if I might ask something that like 50 people have asked before but do you guys think there's a chance for a special or something? I'm just really bummed about the ending. It was so sudden. I'm actually a supporter of the whole open ending thingy but it wasn't really appropriate for this kind of story... Something was missing. I really enjoyed the show, yet I noticed that watching an episode twice doesn't bring back the feelings I had when I first watched them (whereas I can watch Sekachu for instance over and over again :wub:)
Anyhow, nice show, nice cast, wonderful soundtrack! (Kuwata Keisuke has so totally won me over!)

User avatar
Archaenon
Posts: 435
Joined: Mar 17th, '07, 09:33
Contact:

Post by Archaenon » Jul 5th, '07, 20:58

One of my favorites. Its the first drama where Yamapi won me over. Kurosagi made me start to not like him.

I was kinda "eh" about the ending, I just hope there is a special or another season , I really do. It just sorta ended. D:

blue_shoe
Posts: 13
Joined: Jul 31st, '06, 09:06

Post by blue_shoe » Jul 5th, '07, 21:30

epi wrote:
Anyway another jdrama like this is probably Tatta Hitotsu no Koi starring Kame. There are tons of good love story kind of jdrama actually. A few that I like are Orange Days, Beautiful Life (not really cheezy), Pride, Good Luck, and I guess HYD too ... There are too many that I'm drawing blanks now :lol
Thanks i've tried HYD and i liked it, i'll look into ur recommendations thanks. I'm mostly a kdrama watcher, but after watching Forbidden Love I started liking jdramas. Thanks

User avatar
Love Angel
Posts: 342
Joined: Mar 5th, '06, 18:06
Location: UAE

Post by Love Angel » Jul 5th, '07, 21:50

I hope that this drama will get an award..one of my all time favourite..

@blue_shoe: Orange Days is a must watch..very nice and touching drama ^^

Kazeyama
Posts: 65
Joined: Apr 15th, '07, 19:31
Location: United States

Post by Kazeyama » Jul 6th, '07, 05:24

I had high hopes for this drama. I had never seen Yamapi in anything before so I thought I'd give him a try. For the writers to dra-a-a-a-a-a-ag us through the monotony of the same-o same-o storyline each week, then end so abrupty was terribly unsatisfying. I feel like I've wasted so much of my time watching it. How regretful. I'd like to go back in time and get back my lost hours! :x

dewdrops89
Posts: 6
Joined: Jun 16th, '06, 05:02

Post by dewdrops89 » Jul 6th, '07, 05:39

haha the thing i found funniest in this drama was the "hallelujah chance-- NOOOOO!!!" hahahhaa, the best part was in episode 9(?) where he did a spoof of it LOL. there has not been a drama that has made me this happy in a long time... ^^ i did want more fluff at the end though.. SPECIAL EPISODE~~~!!!

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest