Popularity Countdown for Fall 06 dramas

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Post Reply
User avatar
ushiushi
Posts: 83
Joined: May 1st, '06, 20:50
Location: Canada
Contact:

Popularity Countdown for Fall 06 dramas

Post by ushiushi » Nov 20th, '06, 00:46

I've been really interested in this season's dramas since there's a compelling reason to watch almost every series. Now that we're at the halfway point, I decided to note some stats and figure out which one people are choosing to watch . .

West (d-addicts)
If you went by the downloads alone, here's how the jdramas would rank up to Ep. 4:

1. 14 Sai no Haha: 8649, 7104, 6651, 6021
2. Tatta Hitotsu no Koi: 8502, 7845, 7289, 7256
3. Nodame Cantabile: 8232, 7176, 8937, 8538
4. Sailor Fuku to Kikanjuu: 7901, 6407, 5699, 5475
5. Teppan Shoujo Akane: 6719, 5427, 4574, 3910
6. Dr. Koto 2006: 6079, 5913, 4742, 4503
7. Boku no Aruku Michi: 5690, 4530, 4030, 3696
8. Kiraware Matsuko no Issho: 5367, 3750, 3791, 3376
9. Damens Walker: 4654, 3564, 3229, 2653
10. Yakusha Damashii: 3899, 3067, 2676, 2429
11. Anna-san no Omame: 3583, 2565, 2066, 2300
12. Aibou 5: 1565, 1127, 1080, 1004

It's a bit deceiving though since some shows like Tatta and Dr. Koto are doing a better job of keeping viewers than, say, 14 sai, Sailor Fuku and Akane . . while Nodame is actually gaining viewers! Plus, taking into account that Tatta and Nodame have extra episode versions and all the talk on the forums, this is probably more accurate:

1. Nodame Cantabile
2. Tatta Hitotsu
3. 14 Sai
. . and everything else stays the same. :)

East (Japan)
According to the d-addicts wiki, it's a different story in Japan . .

1. Dr. Koto 2006: 23.2, 21.5, 21.6, 22.3
2. 14 Sai no Haha: 19.7, 16.8, 18.3, 19.4
3. Nodame Cantabile: 18.2, 16.1, 18.4, 18.3
4. Boku no Aruku Michi: 19.3, 16.4, 17.1, 18.2
5. Aibou 5: 15.5, 14.7, 15.6, 16.2
6. Sailor Fuku to Kikanjuu: 17.3, 14.2, 9.6, 16.0
7. Tatta Hitotsu no Koi: 12.8, 10.4, 12.2, 13.6
8. Yakusha Damashii: 11.4, 8.4, 11.8, 9.2
9. Teppan Shoujo Akane: 11.0, 7.3, 8.7, 10.3
10. Kiraware Matsuko no Issho: 8.8, 10.1, 8.5, 8.5
11. Damens Walker: 10.3, 8.0, 7.2
12. Anna-san no Omame: 8.1, 7.1, 7.3, 5.9

Look, Aibou 5 is actually doing pretty good! While Tatta and Akane, er, not so good. Really, the only thing that d-addicts and Japanese really agree on is that Nodame Cantabile and 14 Sai no Haha are the ones to watch this season.

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Nov 20th, '06, 01:03

You must consider one idea: What becomes popular on D-Addicts is solely on the following factors:

- Does the casting or subject matter encourage fansubbing?
- Fansubbed shows ALWAYS beat out unsubbed shows.
- D-Addicts demographics is totally different than the average viewer in Japan. Japanese viewers are older, they've been out of school or college for a long time, and they don't rely on someone else to help them understand an episode.

Remember that people in Japan can understand Japanese. They're also not as obsessive over fandork concepts like Johnnys or how beautiful/sexy/handsome the casting is. Just take a look at the dramas you didn't bother to even address: Wataru Seken wa Oni Bakari, Komyo ga Tsuji, Imo Tako Nankin, the afternoon TBS dramas, and much MUCH more.

This is why I don't take D-Addicts or JDorama.com seriously when it comes to quantifying what's popular and what isn't.

--- groink
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.

User avatar
ushiushi
Posts: 83
Joined: May 1st, '06, 20:50
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by ushiushi » Nov 20th, '06, 02:03

groink wrote:You must consider one idea: What becomes popular on D-Addicts is solely on the following factors:

- Does the casting or subject matter encourage fansubbing?
- Fansubbed shows ALWAYS beat out unsubbed shows.
- D-Addicts demographics is totally different than the average viewer in Japan. Japanese viewers are older, they've been out of school or college for a long time, and they don't rely on someone else to help them understand an episode.

Remember that people in Japan can understand Japanese. They're also not as obsessive over fandork concepts like Johnnys or how beautiful/sexy/handsome the casting is. Just take a look at the dramas you didn't bother to even address: Wataru Seken wa Oni Bakari, Komyo ga Tsuji, Imo Tako Nankin, the afternoon TBS dramas, and much MUCH more.

This is why I don't take D-Addicts or JDorama.com seriously when it comes to quantifying what's popular and what isn't.

--- groink
Sure, I'm aware of all that. Actually, you've just pointed out the exact reasons for my post: to compare the wide gap in tastes of here and there, and obviously you noticed the difference. :)

And by the way . .
- I didn't list Komyo, Imo, etc since I was focussing on seasonal dramas, not the full year series. Wataru isn't even available on d-addicts so I wasn't able to compare it to Japan.
- D-addicts is also where most of us get the latest dramas, so I think it's a good guage of what people outside of Japan are watching. Though Japanese ratings aren't exactly reliable either since (I think) they use a small sample of people like the Nielsens.
- I don't think fansubs always win over other shows . . Anna-san is being consistently subbed but not downloaded much. Meanwhile, Sailor Fuku is still heavily downloaded even though only one episode has been subbed. I think it's a *combination* of subs, cast and story that determines what's popular among d-addict users.

User avatar
unkei
Posts: 89
Joined: Oct 19th, '05, 12:41
Location: australia

Post by unkei » Nov 20th, '06, 03:07

i agree also that it may come down to demographics, but slightly different to what groink has suggested. keep in mind first that, drama on d-addicts is available on the clock, anytime, anywhere. drama in japan, is restricted to a particular timeslot, and although some diehard dramaviewers do tape certain series, i doubt a large proportion of the population would. this is why 'grabbing a good timeslot' is so important in japan. you may also have rivalling networks competing for the bigger share of the audience at the same time. i've read somewhere that there is one particularly season that tends to get lower ratings, all-round, due to exams and such. on d-addicts, that poses as less of a problem because viewers can still download a series while the torrent's still running strong, and save it for later watching. on that note, d-addicts may be a more reliable indicator of a drama's 'goodness' than the japanese ratings, because there are no such restrictions in place.

on the other hand however, the differences in rankings may only reflect a difference in demographic interests. 'pure love' genres has never been that hot in japan (except for the occaional kimutaku or tokiwa takako work). medical-related drama, usually achieve rather consistent and high ratings, relatively. drama which hold a spark of originality also seem to be preferred by the domestic masses. outside of japan however, that is less the case. the kdrama boom means there is a large number of fans of the 'pure love' genre, which may explain THnK's success. the Dr Koto series in japan holds a prominent reputation, and many viewers are most likely returning fans. that is less of a case here on d-addicts, where the cast may seem rather foreign to many viewers. you also have that proportion of d-addicts viewers who download an entire series without watching any of it till the end. to this extent, the inconsistencies between the two sets of rankings cannot really determine the quality of this season's drama. and that's not taking into account individual preference, neither.

and i have written an essay...

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Nov 20th, '06, 03:09

ushiushi wrote:Though Japanese ratings aren't exactly reliable either since (I think) they use a small sample of people like the Nielsens.
Actually, ratings are very accurate. Here's how:

Take into consideration the data collected by Video Rearch Ltd. of Japan. They take statistics of three different regions, of which comprises of a very large percentage of Japan: Kanto, Kansei and Nagoya.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kanto - greatest population and large industrialized zone.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansai - counterculture to Kanto
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagoya

If you study the different regions, you'll see some interesting differences. First, many young people flock to Kanto because that's where everything's at: schools, shopping, and modern popular culture such as Akihabara and Harajuku. 99-percent of the people on D-Addicts see the Kanto numbers seeing they come out a lot faster than the other two regions. Nagoya is considered the "sticks", and is rarely ever considered as being valued when it comes to statistics. Kansai numbers are also rare, but not as much as Nagoya.

People outside of Japan believe that their characteristics of what makes a good drama are similar to those in the Kanto region because they're perceived as being more modern. And they're probably right; the majority of Japan's GNP come out of Kanto. So when it comes to advertising/marketing strategies, the focus on the show's themes and casting is heavily made on the Kanto region seeing this region contributes the most money to the marketplace. Also, Kanto represents the majority of Japan's overall population.

Now back to the ratings... Traditionally, modern trendy dramas are favored in the Kanto region because most of these shows attempt to target the people in this region: younger people with parents' money, who go to school, are more in-tune with modern pop culture. On the other hand, the Kansai region traditionally are countercuture of Kanto, favoring the lesser known non-pop cultured dramas like Wataru Seken, the taiga dramas, the morning dramas, etc. because there are a much higher number of viewers 40 years and older in Kansai. Same thing with Nagoya, but I've read that Nagoya just doesn't watch as much television as Kansai and Kanto. Back to Kansai, these trendy dramas have a lower viewership rating than Kanto. Same in reverse: shows like Wataru Seken, Komyo ga Tsuji, etc. have higher ratings in Kansai than Kanto.

Now, you said earlier that ratings are inaccurate. Just you posting the Kanto numbers alone is statistically inaccurate because you're basically leaving out over 1/2 of Japan. This is why on DramaWiki, I've made it a requirement for all new dramas to show the ratings of both Kansai and Kanto, as well as the overall ratings for all three regions. Up to the Autumn 2006 season, all the numbers posted were falsely represented. Although people are still posting only Kanto numbers, at least the awareness of the source of these numbers are now known.

--- groink

User avatar
unkei
Posts: 89
Joined: Oct 19th, '05, 12:41
Location: australia

Post by unkei » Nov 20th, '06, 03:24

groink wrote:Now back to the ratings... Traditionally, modern trendy dramas are favored in the Kanto region because most of these shows attempt to target the people in this region: younger people with parents' money, who go to school, are more in-tune with modern pop culture. On the other hand, the Kansai region traditionally are countercuture of Kanto, favoring the lesser known non-pop cultured dramas like Wataru Seken, the taiga dramas, the morning dramas, etc. because there are a much higher number of viewers 40 years and older in Kansai.

--- groink
really? but a quick scan of the limited kansai ratings available on dramawiki reveals that several shows which i would assume are targeted at younger viewers (kiraware matsuko, tatta hitotsu no koi, teppan shoujo akane) actually do better in the kansai area than kanto.

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Nov 20th, '06, 03:33

unkei wrote:really? but a quick scan of the limited kansai ratings available on dramawiki reveals that several shows which i would assume are targeted at younger viewers (kiraware matsuko, tatta hitotsu no koi, teppan shoujo akane) actually do better in the kansai area than kanto.
It isn't a finite science. But MOST of the time it does come out as I earlier indicated. Also consider the fact that 2006 hasn't been that great of a year overall.

goygakgoy
Posts: 478
Joined: Jun 5th, '05, 21:10

Post by goygakgoy » Nov 20th, '06, 05:02

wow...thanks. I've been wanting somebody to keep track of downloads.

I like 14...but it's getting annoying. If shida wasn't so great in queen's classroom..i dunno if i would continue.

I wonder why ppl aren't watch "kazoku" that much? That drama is the bomb...it's increasingly becoming my favorite this season. I love tatta as well. Can't say Sailor cuz only 1 episode sub so far...but good. Boku is pretty good tooo...but not a keeper.

User avatar
8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 630
Joined: Sep 29th, '05, 03:17
Location: Fansub addict
Contact:

Re: Popularity Countdown for Fall 06 dramas

Post by 8thSin » Nov 20th, '06, 05:40

Interesting analysis... "Fangirl" demographics is definitely the biggest factor.
unkei wrote:i agree also that it may come down to demographics, but slightly different to what groink has suggested. keep in mind first that, drama on d-addicts is available on the clock, anytime, anywhere. drama in japan, is restricted to a particular timeslot, and although some diehard dramaviewers do tape certain series, i doubt a large proportion of the population would. this is why 'grabbing a good timeslot' is so important in japan. you may also have rivalling networks competing for the bigger share of the audience at the same time. i've read somewhere that there is one particularly season that tends to get lower ratings, all-round, due to exams and such. on d-addicts, that poses as less of a problem because viewers can still download a series while the torrent's still running strong, and save it for later watching. on that note, d-addicts may be a more reliable indicator of a drama's 'goodness' than the japanese ratings, because there are no such restrictions in place.

on the other hand however, the differences in rankings may only reflect a difference in demographic interests. 'pure love' genres has never been that hot in japan (except for the occaional kimutaku or tokiwa takako work). medical-related drama, usually achieve rather consistent and high ratings, relatively. drama which hold a spark of originality also seem to be preferred by the domestic masses. outside of japan however, that is less the case. the kdrama boom means there is a large number of fans of the 'pure love' genre, which may explain THnK's success. the Dr Koto series in japan holds a prominent reputation, and many viewers are most likely returning fans. that is less of a case here on d-addicts, where the cast may seem rather foreign to many viewers. you also have that proportion of d-addicts viewers who download an entire series without watching any of it till the end. to this extent, the inconsistencies between the two sets of rankings cannot really determine the quality of this season's drama. and that's not taking into account individual preference, neither.

and i have written an essay...
I don't think time-slot matters that much, since we downloaders know what time each show is aired, and we have certain expectations for certain spots (Nodame being Gekku). TV stations have known about the effectiveness of good timeslots for years, and strategically place what they think is the best show in the best time-slots. In Japan, drama shows compete against different channels, here, it's basically same, because even though we can get the shows any time we want, most have still have limited bandwith and limited time to watch them.
And I STRONGLY disagree that D-Addicts download is a more reliable measure of quality simply because of demographics and subs.

And "Pure love" genre... Well they used to consistently put up strong figures, but not the case in recent years. I personally think they don't make as good romance dorama as they used to either. Maybe writers simply ran out of ideas... There's been so many remakes and anime/manga or novel based dorama in last couple of years.

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Re: Popularity Countdown for Fall 06 dramas

Post by groink » Nov 20th, '06, 06:34

8thSin wrote:And I STRONGLY disagree that D-Addicts download is a more reliable measure of quality simply because of demographics and subs.
DING DING DING DING!!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I totally concur.

In an earlier post, someone mentioned that the Japanese don't record? HELLO???? What's TiVO???? What's DVR? Why is P2P of TV shows in Japan on the rise? Why is the Japanese TV companies shutting down YouTube uploads? Why is business at the drama rental stores doing do well? It is because what is going on in Japan is the TOTAL OPPOSITE of what was mentioned.

There is a high level of recording going on in Japan. The idea of two or more shows airing in the same time slot is EXACTLY the reason why watching pre-recorded dramas is on the rise. In the U.S., there's been various reports where viewers of TV shows as they are aired have dropped down by almost HALF since the introduction of the DVR and TiVO. I truly believe that the Japanese are a lot more high tech than the Americans, so I further believe that probably the percentage of Japanese viewers watching show as they're being broadcast is also dropping - either at the same frequency or even more.

And do you know where they're downloading? WinMX perhaps? Even better: D-ADDICTS!!!!!!!!! D-Addicts is undoubtedly a much more efficient place to download RAWs - better than their own sources. BitTorrent is a much more efficient protocol than WinMX. Why bother struggling with WinMX when they can wait for gryzze and MHfans to come up with the exact same files?

That's why those download numbers are totally mis-used. Downloads don't measure anything. Hell, I've downloaded every RAW posted here for 2006. How many have I watched? None. I'm serious! 2006 is a very bad year! I, along with probably many others represent these completed download but haven't watched a single minute of them. These download numbers have absolutely 100-percent no correlation with viewership levels.

--- groink

User avatar
unkei
Posts: 89
Joined: Oct 19th, '05, 12:41
Location: australia

Post by unkei » Nov 20th, '06, 06:50

it seems that what i have said has been entirely misinterpreted. if you'd take a moment to read my contributions properly, paragraph1 outlined factors which contribute to the number of downloads on d-addicts being a better indicator of quality, while paragraph2 identifed the factors which suggest that there are inconsistencies between both measures, which led me to conclude that neither system could be a proper measure of quality. and on top of that, everyone has their own individual tastes as to genre, plot, and yes, cast.

if the japanese population was really turning to d-addicts as their source of drama, i sincerely doubt this forum would be able to maintain for very long before being attacked by japanese copyright companies and such. on the level of recording, i'm not going to make statistics with no proof behind them, but just the idea that every japanese out there is recording every show and waiting till later to watch them is absurd. i believe a proportion of them definitely do, but i'd suppose it to be a minority.

on the issue of fandom, which i'd not addressed previously, it's true that a great proportion of downloaders do so because they are a fangirl/boy of a particular actor/actress who is casted. not exactly a phenomenen. it's been that way for a long time now, and not just in jdrama neither. is there any proof that the proportion of fangirls/boys on d-addicts outweigh the proportion of fangirls/boys watching drama for their idols in japan??

8thsin: on timeslots, you've repeated exactly what i said. timeslots matter in japan, but not on d-addicts, because on d-addicts drama is available all the time. i don't really understand the point you're trying to make.

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Nov 20th, '06, 08:01

unkei wrote:is there any proof that the proportion of fangirls/boys on d-addicts outweigh the proportion of fangirls/boys watching drama for their idols in japan??
The big picture is that a very high percentage of fans outside of Japan are attracted to Japanese dramas through other means, such as pop music, fanzines, anime/manga, tokusatsu and other sources. This is why a large majority of them are fandorks. Why do you think a German or a Swedish person would be attracted to Japanese dramas? Because of the stories? :lol

The Japanese residents, on the other hand, do not really need to rely on these vehicles to attract them to dramas; they are born with it. All they have to do is turn on the TV. The fandorks in Japan are not as high in ratio as you would come to believe, which may actually provide one of the answers as to why X drama isn't as popular in Japan as it is outside of Japan, and why D-Addicts fans prefer Y over X.

D-Addicts fans as a whole have their own criteria that is totally different from the audience the TV drama producers are REALLY aiming for. And believe me - they don't care what someone in Idaho Falls likes.

--- groink

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Nov 20th, '06, 08:08

unkei wrote:if the japanese population was really turning to d-addicts as their source of drama, i sincerely doubt this forum would be able to maintain for very long before being attacked by japanese copyright companies and such. on the level of recording, i'm not going to make statistics with no proof behind them, but just the idea that every japanese out there is recording every show and waiting till later to watch them is absurd. i believe a proportion of them definitely do, but i'd suppose it to be a minority.
Forgot to comment about this one...

Do I consider this a bad thing? Absolutely not. For me personally, if D-Addicts were to shut down today, it would have absolutely no effect on me. And neither will it have an effect on the Japanese TV networks.

Also why is it "absurd" that they want to watch a TV show later? This is the 21st century, dude! Most of us have far too much going on in our lives than to have our lives controlled by Fuji TV, TV Asahi, TBS, etc. and their fixed schedules of programming. Do you REALLY schedule your life around a static TV schedule? Because if you do, to me THAT is totally absurd. You're letting someone control YOUR life's schedule. From 20:00 to 23:00, if you're sitting around watching TV instead of spending time with your family, your girlfriend/boyfriend, studying for school, or whatever else there is to do, than you should REALLY re-evaluate your priorities. That's why DVR was invented - to give people back their lives!!!!!!

--- groink

User avatar
unkei
Posts: 89
Joined: Oct 19th, '05, 12:41
Location: australia

Post by unkei » Nov 20th, '06, 08:27

groink: since you have unabashedly incorporated your own personal views and feelings on this topic, i will too. i am, personally, a fangirl in many aspects, of chinese, japanese, korean, western, 2D celebrities and much much more. but ultimately, the cast isn't what draws me to jdrama, and it's the execution and pace of japanese drama which makes me a jdrama fan. if one day d-addicts was to close down, i would be devastated. i congratulate you on accomplishing a feat that i would never be able to - to be entirely unaffected by the possibility that this forum may no longer exist.

but this whole issue isn't about your life and preferences nor mine. it's about why there is a difference in rankings consequential from two completely unrelated systems. you made an entirely unjustified assumption about german and swedish viewers, and i am offended on their behalf. why can't a german and swedish person enjoy jdrama for the same reason other people enjoy jdrama, namely, for the quality of a particular show?? similarly you made an equally unfounded assumption about the general characteristics of d-addicts drama viewers. even if a large proportion were exposed to japanese drama via japanese pop culture, it doesn't necessarily mean that they are all so superficial to the extent that quality no longer remains a factor of choice.

on the recording issue, you are EXACTLY RIGHT. perhaps most of us have far too much going on in our lives to go to all the trouble of videotaping a particular show while watching another at the same time, and then finding time to watch the taped one later. PERHAPS a large portion of the japanese population do, but it's equally likely (if not more) that a larger proportion DON'T. neither of us have statistical evidence on this issue, so it's really just childish banter to continue with it further.

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Nov 20th, '06, 09:07

Let me tell you something about myself, D-Addicts and its users. I'm one of the first members to register with D-Addicts. I was sitting here almost to the day it was put up. I'm a former moderator, voluntarily dropping my moderator-ship.

After monitoring all of you for almost three years, I've come to believe that I am indeed an expert when it comes to sizing up the characteristics of an average D-Addicts user. So when I say that most D-Addicts are fandorks, then by damn they ARE fandorks because when you read through the hundreds of thousands of posts on D-Addicts over a 3-year period, most of them leading up to fandorkism, THIS is the conclusion I have come up with. No numerical statistics to back it up. Do you think Jane Goodall had numbers? Did she ask the apes what they thought about things? "Hey Suzy the Ape, when you shake your head like that, does that mean you're angry????" NO! She observed their actions. She documented these actions. And now all the universities around the world are teaching their students the things Jane found out about.

So for you Miss unkei who has only spent 397 days on D-Addicts with only 83 posts to contribute, compared to groink-san with 1078 days and nearly 2700 posts, I can confidently say that I am much more in-tune with the demographics of D-Addicts.

Back to the question - why the difference between what D-Addicts members and the Japanese population? I've stated my reasons - again without any statistical data to back it up. But once again, as a Japanophile with over 30 years of experience monitoring Japanese culture, speaking with hundreds of Japanese men and women, and over 50 trips to the Land of the Rising Sun (and two 300 games in Osaka to boot), once again my opinion does carry weight. I don't just make up **** out of thin air; I'm an engineer by profession, and I'd be lowering my integrity if I did make this stuff up.

--- groink

User avatar
unkei
Posts: 89
Joined: Oct 19th, '05, 12:41
Location: australia

Post by unkei » Nov 20th, '06, 09:26

it is a disappointment that this debate has escalated to the point where you have found it necessary to unleash a personal attack on me, simply because i have been at this forum for a lesser amount of time and have made less posts to date. why does that make me a lower human?? i was expressing my views on the issue as well, and in fact what i offered was never an argument, but an analysis. i made no unfounded assumptions. i didn't judge people by their background. and i certainly didn't imply that anyone with less posts than 83, and less than 397 days spent on this forum is below me. i merely corrected what was a wrongful interpretation of my original commentary, and have accordingly participated in the debate that have arisen. i would have respected you, and this debate so much more had you not proceeded to demean me by exerting your authority.

Sakari
Posts: 147
Joined: Jan 24th, '06, 09:20

Post by Sakari » Nov 20th, '06, 12:39

Does anyone know how exactly the viewership ratings of TV are calculated? I mean - a TV set might be on and tuned to a channel without anyone actually watching the program. Then again, the VCR or DVR (but not the TV) might be on and recording a program, but the recording might never be watched. So are people simply asked what programs they watch(ed)?

As to D-Addicts, I generally try to download as many episodes of a drama as are available before starting on the first. So I might very well download 10 episodes before watching the first one. But that doesn't mean I will watch all 10. I might stop after the first one.

User avatar
thtl
Posts: 156
Joined: Apr 1st, '06, 16:47
Location: Shanghai, China

Post by thtl » Nov 20th, '06, 13:12

With regards to this increasing heated discussion between 'groink' and 'unkei', I'd like to get a word in at the risk of drawing fire from the both of you.

It seems to me both of you are making statements based on your own experiences and assumptions. Since neither of you have any solid figures to support your views, they are just personal points of views. It's both true and false, depending on how a 3rd party evaluate the underlying assumptions that leads to the conclusions. In short, there is no absolute truth here, and therefore no need to get aggravated over it.

Get on the soap box and express whatever you feel, this is the function of a forum. However don't assume others have to agree to what you say.

Prince of Moles
Posts: 217
Joined: Dec 26th, '05, 02:50
Location: Beneath NYC

Post by Prince of Moles » Nov 20th, '06, 16:08

There's a very simple way to understand why there are more fanboys/fangirls on D-addicts ratio wise, than the average viewer in Japan.

Simply put, old people do not use bittorrents, and thus d-addicts, that much. Whereas a 60 year old grandmother can turn on the TV and watch.

Almost by definition you have a smaller ratio of fanboys/fangirls among the average viewership in Japan. And thus the disparity in the popularity of shows.

User avatar
mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber
Posts: 2001
Joined: Dec 15th, '03, 17:45
Location: undercover admin

Post by mizune » Nov 21st, '06, 06:28

thtl wrote:Get on the soap box and express whatever you feel, this is the function of a forum. However don't assume others have to agree to what you say.
I agree... why is it that ppl seem so argumentative lately? :fear:

No offense groink, but trying to "pull rank" about seniority and experience in Jdramas and culture is just silly. If anything, I think that actually demonstrates just how out of touch you are with the demographics here. You know who "they" are on a superficial level, but you don't really know who they are or, worse yet, who they have the potential of becoming. Fundamentally, I see no difference b/w your fascination with Noriko Sakai and "fandorks" with their latest obsession anyways. :roll

And as a past moderator here, you should also know that D-addicts exists to share and spread a love of Asian dramas to newcomers. It is not to beat up on new ppl, close the doors, and make it an old boys club... :|

As somebody older and wiser, it's a great service that you are willing to disseminate your knowledge and experience to the less informed members, but leave out the unprovoked personal attacks... They have no place in any discussion.

User avatar
ushiushi
Posts: 83
Joined: May 1st, '06, 20:50
Location: Canada
Contact:

Post by ushiushi » Nov 21st, '06, 11:36

What the heck, it seems like every good-mannered post I make on here turns into some crazy debate. Seriously, this was intended as a study of the fall dramas based on downloads, forum views and ratings that I was collecting for fun. I'm just really interested in this season, and even more interested in studying East and West differences. Sure, the data isn't near 100% reliable, but that doesn't mean you have to attack each other over some n00b's post.

I could go on, but I don't want to add anymore fuel to this debate . .

Sakari
Posts: 147
Joined: Jan 24th, '06, 09:20

Post by Sakari » Nov 21st, '06, 18:06

ushiushi wrote:Seriously, this was intended as a study of the fall dramas based on downloads, forum views and ratings that I was collecting for fun. I'm just really interested in this season, and even more interested in studying East and West differences.
You know, I wonder about this East and West thing. Sure, all the dramas here come from what is traditionally called the East, but do all the downloaders necessarily come from the West? I have not visited the area, but it seems to me that the countries that border on the Japan and China Seas (Japan, South Korea, China, Taiwan, Vietnam, Malaysia, Hongkong, Singapore, Thailand, Philippines - is that the lot?) currently pretty much form a community as far as TV dramas, at least, go. That is, Japanese/Korean/Chinese dramas are watched all over the region. I don't see why somebody downloading a drama from D-Addicts would necessarily be "Western", however that is defined.

goygakgoy
Posts: 478
Joined: Jun 5th, '05, 21:10

Post by goygakgoy » Nov 22nd, '06, 03:23

HAHA! Well, look at it like this: if you guys put all the facts in or whatever or how long u been on d-addicts or how many years u lived in Japan, there's always gonna be ppl in the same shoes as you who will disagree.

guitarz
Posts: 34
Joined: Apr 1st, '06, 11:02
Location: Singapore

Post by guitarz » Nov 22nd, '06, 04:49

if you check up on the popularity downloads on the btpig tracker (chinese subbed doramas), the rankings are pretty much similar to d-addicts(western jdrama community?)

they have dr koto 2006 subbed up to the latest episode, but the download counter is very small

the site is currently down atm.. but as far as i remember: the top 3 j-dramas in the chinese community this season are: 1) Tatta Hitotsu no Koi 2) Teppan Shoujo Akane 3) Nodame Cantabile

and on another note.. to mr 1078-days-know-it-all... tone down on your elitism attitude and saying you dont give a damn about d-addicts forum shutting down only shows more of your egoistic and selfishness

dee8o8
Posts: 157
Joined: Dec 9th, '05, 03:33
Location: Kauai, Hawaii
Contact:

Post by dee8o8 » Nov 22nd, '06, 05:01

drkoto is subbed? really? i wasnt aware of it.. ive heard so much about it but because its subbed i dont want to try and figure out what they are saying. so i just wait.

anyway whats up with the arguments.. i appreciate anyone who takes the time to compile these things. its interesting to me. i mean i like stats. yes there are arguments to be had here and there but its nothing "official" and "legal" so why try to make an argument.
plain and simple it was a post, not a statement nor "official stats of fall 2006" so why get all huffy puffy about it? geez. D-addicts is a nice place with nice people.. we would like to keep it like that.
i mean if you take things like this this serious.. i wonder how your take on life is.....

User avatar
mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber
Posts: 2001
Joined: Dec 15th, '03, 17:45
Location: undercover admin

Post by mizune » Nov 22nd, '06, 05:11

guitarz wrote:if you check up on the popularity downloads on the btpig tracker (chinese subbed doramas), the rankings are pretty much similar to d-addicts(western jdrama community?)
I think this just lends more weight to the fact that the demographics of BT and other P2P users skews younger than broadcast audiences...
dee8o8 wrote:drkoto is subbed? really? i wasnt aware of it.. ive heard so much about it but because its subbed i dont want to try and figure out what they are saying. so i just wait.
Dr Koto is currently only subbed in Chinese, although SARS is working on the first season as well and the second season is....uh... theoretically in the works... :fear:

Everybody, please try to keep on-topic and not get bogged down in personal digs about other members. It just distracts from the thread topic... :/

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests