[Discussion] Maison Ikkoku Special Drama

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

[Discussion] Maison Ikkoku Special Drama

Post by mizune » Aug 15th, '06, 04:53

So I was reading the local paper just now and noticed an article about a drama version of Takahashi Rumiko's classic manga, Maison Ikkoku, that is scheduled to air next spring. O_o;;;
They've already cast Itou Misaki as Otonashi Kyoko and are still auditioning for Godai's character (looks like it's pretty much an open casting call)...
No other characters have been announced (although Yanagiba Toshiro for Yotsuya might be pretty interesting ^_^;)

http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/ikkokukan/

vivaldi

Post by vivaldi » Aug 15th, '06, 05:08

should be interesting, I read the manga a couple years back

Yeah, I guess Itou Misaki could work, she was okay in Densha

mcg

Post by mcg » Aug 15th, '06, 12:36

wow I'm currently watching the anime because it's being aired in my country. Nice to know there's gonna be a LA! Thanx for the news.

SnWa

Post by SnWa » Aug 16th, '06, 01:02

:unsure: I'm not sure what to think about this yet. The anime holds a special place for me, and it would be painful to see a bad translation to live action.

Itou Misaki, though great in Densha Otoko, does not strike me as an Otonashi Kyoko. I think the character is complex and really needs some skill to pull it off. But maybe Itou Misaki will surprise us.

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Aug 16th, '06, 01:26

Maison Ikkoku drama? Oh wow MI brings back memories. It'll be interesting to see it live action. I have to agree with SnWa though, I don't quite see Itou Misaki as Kyoko. The casting for Godai is going to be tough hehe.

moderagio

Post by moderagio » Aug 16th, '06, 09:45

Wow, I can't wait to see it ! Maison ikkoku is definitely one of my favorite manga. That should be interesting. indeed, casting Godai should be tough, IMHO, Hiroki Narimiya would be an interesting choice.

auroragb

Re: [Discussion] Maison Ikkoku Drama (Coming Spring 2007)

Post by auroragb » Aug 16th, '06, 14:18

mizune wrote:... and are still auditioning for Godai's character (looks like it's pretty much an open casting call)...
No other characters have been announced (although Yanagiba Toshiro for Yotsuya might be pretty interesting ^_^;)

I suspect that the lead male will be a Johnnie

nadesico
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by nadesico » Aug 16th, '06, 14:29

auroragb wrote:
mizune wrote:... and are still auditioning for Godai's character (looks like it's pretty much an open casting call)...

Do you think so? I can't figure yet which of them could actually play the part....

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Aug 16th, '06, 14:36

nadesico wrote:
auroragb wrote:

Do you think so? I can't figure yet which of them could actually play the part....
Tegoshi Yuya is a good possibility, he has a right look and his Sakurakoji in MBMH is decent. But I think it might be Yamapi because he's the hot item right now. And this way, Itoh would have done both Shuuji and Akira ;)

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Aug 17th, '06, 01:54

Is going be interesting to see what stories they will use to fit into +/- 13 episodes. The ending from the manga and anime is a classic. Going to enjoy the dramatization of that.

yiuc1

Post by yiuc1 » Aug 17th, '06, 03:41

Wow, Maison Ikkoku... I'll definitely be looking forward to this :D

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Aug 17th, '06, 05:18

auroragb wrote: I suspect that the lead male will be a Johnnie
I suspect not because they are literally holding open call auditions, including amateurs. It seems that the producers are looking or something different (or perhaps cheaper.... :whistling: ) than what's available.

Anyhow, Itou was selected b/c the produer thought she would fit the role perfectly as a sexy young widow that everybody likes...
For me, that spaced out look of hers can make her look pretty oblivious, so I guess I can kind of see the fit... :p

enuyasha

Post by enuyasha » Aug 17th, '06, 22:55

Do you know where I can download the anime?

It's a pretty old anime so I guess that's why I can't find any Fansub Groups that has the series.

André.

Post by André. » Aug 17th, '06, 23:01

I believe it's a special, not a drama series.

And they are holding auditions, so the male lead won't be a Johnny's.

pokute
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by pokute » Aug 17th, '06, 23:04

enuyasha wrote:Do you know where I can download the anime?

It's a pretty old anime so I guess that's why I can't find any Fansub Groups that has the series.
http://www.boxtorrents.com/details.php?id=10823

howzitboy

Post by howzitboy » Aug 18th, '06, 10:15

wow, thats gonna be kewl to watch. id better dust off my old maison ikkoku anime and watch it again.

Littleangel91356

Post by Littleangel91356 » Aug 18th, '06, 23:14

I knew I heard the name somewhere and finally I know it.

It'll be interesting to know that they'll audition anyone if they are over 20 and under 25 years of age. Who ever gets it will be the lucky man to hang out with ito misaki san. So it will NOT be a Johnnys. And Tegoshi is still 19.

Ito misaki san isn't really good on serious roles as her voice gets monotoned but if it's like a role in kiken na aneki, maybe she can pull it off if it's a energetic role but she still needs a lot of improvement and work.

SleepyBoi

Post by SleepyBoi » Sep 2nd, '06, 03:40

Whoever suggested Tegoshi Yuya/Yamashita Tomohisa to play Godai is a whacko.....they cannot act and nothing but pretty boys. There I said it...let the waves of Yamapi fans flame me forever :lol

But seriously...Maison Ikkoku requires actors with RANGE to capture all the emotion from the manga series...

Have you guys forgotten Tsumabuki Satoshi....I think he's the perfect age, the look, and the acting range to be Godai...forget the audition...hire this guy immediately!!!!...PLUS the fact the he's been missing in action since Slow Dance...

hmmmm juss an opinion :P

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Sep 2nd, '06, 04:38

SleepyBoi wrote:Whoever suggested Tegoshi Yuya/Yamashita Tomohisa to play Godai is a whacko.....they cannot act and nothing but pretty boys. There I said it...let the waves of Yamapi fans flame me forever :lol
If this wasn't open casting, this star vehicle would almost certainly have starred a Johnny. Among the Johnnies, they are probably the best for the role.
SleepyBoi wrote:But seriously...Maison Ikkoku requires actors with RANGE to capture all the emotion from the manga series...
What protagonist of a interesting story doesn't require range? Yet idols dominate many roles
SleepyBoi wrote:Have you guys forgotten Tsumabuki Satoshi....I think he's the perfect age, the look, and the acting range to be Godai...forget the audition...hire this guy immediately!!!!...PLUS the fact the he's been missing in action since Slow Dance...
He's a bit old for the role, he's 26 whereas Godai is ~19, but the look is good tho

Billion

Post by Billion » Jan 26th, '07, 09:27

Tegoshi and/or Yamapi? I don't know about Tego and Yamapi's only ok - at least to me (most of his character roles seem to be similar). MatsuJun I think would be a better choice, but then again, he's like 23 but I don't think it should matter that much.

mikomi

Post by mikomi » Jan 26th, '07, 21:11

nice, I didn't know that they're making a drama out of one of my favorite mangas! It's such a welcoming surprise that the directors made an open casting for this drama because I honestly am getting tired of seeing Johnny boys on the screen one drama after another -____-; Some people here are very concerned with the actor's age, but I just saw the video clip on the official site and that guy they got to play Yusaku is well... old-looking. Maybe it's just my eyes but I think Satoshi will definitely look younger when you put them together. What I'm worried the most is Itoh's role as Kyoko; She's got the look down alright, but acting? I hope things will work out because I don't want to see my fav. manga be ruined. I will withhold my judgement though because I was worried about Nodame Cantabile drama as well before it aired, but that drama turned out REALLY well.

crisps85

Does anyone know when Maison Ikkoku would be out?

Post by crisps85 » Apr 2nd, '07, 12:26

Does anyone know when this would be out with English subs and also whether this is any good - i am talking about the version that is played by Misaki Ito. :D

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Apr 3rd, '07, 02:52

^
1. completely wrong forum to post
2. it's still in production / hasn't aired on tv yet -- meaning:
a. nobody knows if it will be subbed (although the chances are high)
b. nobody knows if it will turn out even semi-decent.... :fear:

crisps85

Thanks for sending me the right board

Post by crisps85 » Apr 3rd, '07, 07:38

i am really looking forward to this. I liked Ito Misaki's performance in Densha Otoko, however her other performances were a bit disappointing, so lets keep our fingers crossed that this goes well.

Generally i think the character suits her but i don't want to get my hopes up.

altec1

Post by altec1 » Apr 11th, '07, 01:42

YAY! Misaki! :wub:

kidmigz
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by kidmigz » Apr 11th, '07, 04:01

The broadcast date has been set for May 12.

Aki Himemiya

Post by Aki Himemiya » Apr 11th, '07, 12:58

kidmigz wrote:The broadcast date has been set for May 12.
Really hapy to know this!!!!! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Apr 11th, '07, 15:15

Eh? So it's going to be a special instead of a renzoku? :( I was hoping for a full series. I think that Nanako would have been the perfect actress for Kyoko character

KimiWaPet2150

Post by KimiWaPet2150 » Apr 11th, '07, 23:38

enuyasha wrote:Do you know where I can download the anime?

http://www.asiandvdclub.org/

They're big files on this site. Because they're direct .vob rips from the US released DVDs.

It's an amazing anime, and I can't wait until the TV drama comes out!

KimiWaPet2150

Godai & Other casting!!

Post by KimiWaPet2150 » Apr 11th, '07, 23:54

Newcomer Taiki Nakabayashi (21) has been cast as Godai in the upcoming live-action adaptation of Rumiko Takahashi's Maison Ikkoku. Nakabaya was chosen from over 3200 applicants, several of whom can be seen auditioning for the part in this video listed below on the official website.

http://www.tv-asahi.co.jp/ikkokukan/rep ... 01_300.asx

I searched "Maison Ikkoku TV Drama" and found the information on Anime News Network.

YEA!! XD

avexdevil

Post by avexdevil » Apr 13th, '07, 18:21

ah i was looking for this series - so it got delayed? last time i saw it was on the list of dramas to come in march-april.

itoh misaki probably the oldest YET hottest chick that I would hit :). She should really be married alredi lol.

amrayu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by amrayu » Apr 13th, '07, 18:49

avexdevil wrote:ah i was looking for this series - so it got delayed? last time i saw it was on the list of dramas to come in march-april.

itoh misaki probably the oldest YET hottest chick that I would hit :). She should really be married alredi lol.
What the heck... there's so many things wrong with your last 2 sentences. :glare:
First she's not that old! She hasn't even hit 30 yet! 2nd why does she need to be married? Who in this day and age, believes in "marrying by a certain age" crap anyway. :|

terence_hideyoshi

Post by terence_hideyoshi » Apr 14th, '07, 03:30

amrayu wrote:
avexdevil wrote:ah i was looking for this series - so it got delayed? last time i saw it was on the list of dramas to come in march-april.

What the heck... there's so many things wrong with your last 2 sentences. :glare:
First she's not that old! She hasn't even hit 30 yet! 2nd why does she need to be married? Who in this day and age, believes in "marrying by a certain age" crap anyway. :|
Well, at least the Japanese still have those kind of view.

kiwigloomy

Post by kiwigloomy » Apr 14th, '07, 08:46

amrayu wrote:

Yeah, Itoh Misaki isnt really that old...
But, doesnt Misaki reminds anyone of nakayama miho???
OR TBS's announcer kawada ako??

I thought they look alike...~~ Too bad miho doesnt act in drama anymore, and ako chan just left TBS last month T_T

avexdevil

Post by avexdevil » Apr 15th, '07, 03:20

she turned 30 last yr or this yr for sure. i guess since she's still in her prime she is still focusing on her career, as with most other jp actresses?

sometimes i can't help but feel for their personal lives, are they giving up a family and kids so that they r more successful? ie, with the tabloids and popularity.

ok in my culture (im azn from sg by nationality), most girls get married 25+...so yea at 30 if u r not married it's a bit weird for me, esp for girls, guys r alright, since they marry younger girls usually.

i think in japan it's almost similar. :)
but i understand, it's hard to fantasize over a married woman right :).

Natsu-chan

Post by Natsu-chan » Apr 15th, '07, 17:51

So is the male lead a boy from JE? They're all young for the role :S Tomoya Nagase sound suitable :D

marienella_m

Post by marienella_m » Apr 15th, '07, 17:55

the lead guy is a new actor..he was chosen from an audition.

avexdevil

Post by avexdevil » Apr 17th, '07, 13:16

marienella_m wrote:the lead guy is a new actor..he was chosen from an audition.
VERY lucky guy I would say.

skrhgh3b

Post by skrhgh3b » Apr 18th, '07, 20:52

amrayu wrote:

Nothing screams "Look at me! I'm a virgin!" louder than saying 'I would hit it' on an internet forum about a woman you have no chance in hell of ever hitting. But having dated a Japanese woman eleven years older than me, I can confirm that it's not just dramas starring Shinohara Ryoko, but single Japanese women in their 30s really are that neurotic about their age, marrying, and having children. But it's not all bad. A woman in her 30s is a decade's experience better in bed than a women in her 20s. There's just no comparing the two. And he wouldn't hit it? Virgins... pfft!

Anyway! I still can't see Itoh Masaki playing Kyoko, but I'm so glad Godai isn't going to be some Johnny's boy. I getting so sick of seeing them in drama after drama. I'm sure I'm in the decided minority here, but I don't watch a drama to drool over some teeny pop idol whose only saving grace on screen is his feminine features.

JLR

Post by JLR » May 2nd, '07, 21:38

Hi to all. I'm an Ito Misaki fan, until the very end, even if she turns 50 hahah.. really.
So i was wondering if anyone is interested in translating this upcomming dorama. I really hope some other Ito's fan can sub this dorama. on the d-addicts wiki says it starts on May 12. Just want to see her again ^_^ I liked a lot Sapuri :salut:

raven_frost

Post by raven_frost » May 6th, '07, 06:19

From Japan Tiimes:

'Mezon Ikkoku (Maison Ikkoku)," written by Rumiko Takahashi and originally published in 1980 in Big Comic Spirits, is one of the most popular manga of all time. It has been made into movies and television drama series over the years in both animated and live-action formats. On Saturday from 9:00 p.m. to 11:06 p.m., TV Asahi presents a two-hour special drama version that will be the first in an occasional series based on the comic. New actor Taiki Nakabayashi was chosen from out of 3,000 hopefuls to star as the lead character, Yusaku Godai.

Though the stories take place in the 1980s, the drama series is framed as a reminiscence: the forty-something Godai telling his young daughter about his youth, when he was unsuccessfully trying to pass the college entrance exams and living in a small apartment building called Maison Ikkoku. Godai is sick of the place because the other tenants are selfish busybodies, and he's about to move out when a new superintendent moves in.

The new super is Kyoko (Misaki Ito), a widow who has decided to never fall in love again. For Godai, it's love at first sight, and one evening he gets drunk and confesses his love to Kyoko. The next morning he can't remember what happened and apologizes, but the apology makes Kyoko angry.

Natsu-chan

Post by Natsu-chan » May 6th, '07, 13:23

skrhgh3b wrote: . I'm sure I'm in the decided minority here, but I don't watch a drama to drool over some teeny pop idol whose only saving grace on screen is his feminine features.
You can't put all JE boys under one category, it's like you're saying that all members of a certain family are alike. & those dramas with Johnny's Jr are aimed at young viewers anyway, & most viewers would probably be girls who like JE boys. What about My Boss My Hero? Tomoya Nagase is from JE & he doesn't act the way you've stated.

Besides, feminine & masculine features are society-made. Being gentle, kind & understanding are feminine features, but what's wrong with a guy having those features?

raven_frost thanks for the sypnosis, it sounds interesting, I've watched a few eps from the anime but I missed the first ones so I didn't know why Kyoko was angry at Godai. WOW 3000 guys! Misaki Ito sure has a lot of admirers ^^ I liked her character in Kiken na Aneki...happy go lucky :)

JLR

Post by JLR » May 6th, '07, 14:56

OOOHH thanks a lot for the info :cheers:

And i think a man can alternate between femenine and masculine without going too far, i mean, not overdoing it. But i really don't know what is a JE boy :scratch:

auroragb

Post by auroragb » May 7th, '07, 14:59

JLR wrote:OOOHH thanks a lot for the info :cheers:

And i think a man can alternate between femenine and masculine without going too far, i mean, not overdoing it. But i really don't know what is a JE boy :scratch:
JE boy is a member of Johnny's entertainment, an agency that manages male idols. They represent roughly 50% of dorama male leads.

I hope this drama can convince me that Itoh can act...

JLR

Post by JLR » May 7th, '07, 21:31

Oh, so that's a JE boy, thanks.

Anyway, i don't care of where the actors and actress come frome, just care about how good they play their roles. Some actors and acress have good charm, that's also enough for me.

hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » May 12th, '07, 14:12

Wow... I really enjoyed this drama. It was just fun; everyone did a great job... and it's hard to believe that this was the lead's first big work (he was selected out of a huge audition).

I found myself laughing out loud quite a few times.

I'll work on encoding it and up it... but, I'm sure other version will pop-up as well.

g4ngst4m4g1c

Post by g4ngst4m4g1c » May 12th, '07, 18:21

How come this dorama was never listed in the JDrama April - June thread?

>_> Is there a catch here? And... how come SubPig isn't doing this one?

pastafiend

Post by pastafiend » May 13th, '07, 06:57

I can't wait for this. :)

shinhaku

Post by shinhaku » May 14th, '07, 22:14

the ending looks like they're gonna make a tv series out of this XD

auroragb

Post by auroragb » May 17th, '07, 18:42

g4ngst4m4g1c wrote:How come this dorama was never listed in the JDrama April - June thread?

It's an SP, not a series.
and SP has subbed it:
http://bbs.btpig.com/viewthread.php?tid ... a=page%3D1

nfl0nza

Post by nfl0nza » May 18th, '07, 21:31

auroragb wrote: I hope this drama can convince me that Itoh can act...
Ain't that the truth...haha.

amrayu
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by amrayu » May 18th, '07, 22:16

Updated the thread title.:mrgreen:

runpup

Post by runpup » May 21st, '07, 19:51

auroragb wrote:
g4ngst4m4g1c wrote:How come this dorama was never listed in the JDrama April - June thread?

It's an SP, not a series.
and SP has subbed it:
http://bbs.btpig.com/viewthread.php?tid ... a=page%3D1
Not in English!

auroragb

Post by auroragb » May 21st, '07, 21:14

Well, subpig is a c-sub group, so they'd not be subbing in english. g4ngst4m4g1c was asking about subpig, so I answered correspondingly

avexdevil

Post by avexdevil » May 28th, '07, 17:58

why is the ending like tht??? is that how it ends??? wtf :(

Sakari

Post by Sakari » May 30th, '07, 05:12

avexdevil wrote:why is the ending like tht??? is that how it ends??? wtf :(
I have a 10-volume set of the manga, and this TV special does not even cover the first of those volumes. So no, Maison Ikkoku the manga does not end like that.

I didn't think Misaki Itoh was bad. It's just that... Wouldn't Kyoko Hasegawa have been better? Yuko Takeuchi?

musotaku

Post by musotaku » May 31st, '07, 03:06

Sakari wrote:Wouldn't Kyoko Hasegawa have been better?
She's already busy this season getting laid every week in Kodoku no Kake. I tried to start that one and just could not get into it, even though Hasegawa looks more amazing in it than anything I've seen of hers before.

About Maison Ikokku, there is now a English sub file up at

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopi ... htm#751722

myunoyume

Post by myunoyume » Sep 12th, '07, 11:48

I watched this SP this week end and I really enjoyed it as it reminded me my youth time while watching the anime on TV !

Do you know if Asahi TV plans to make a drama to continue the serie, or to make a new SP ?

Do you know if ratings were good enough ?

I wish this serie will continue, because quality of this first ep was really really good !

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » May 23rd, '08, 22:38

Those wanting to know if Maison Ikkoku would be continued, here's your answer...

"Maison Ikkoku" drama returns
Fri, May 23, 2008 (12:42am EDT)

Last May, TV Asahi aired a live-action version of the Rumiko Takahashi manga "Maison Ikkoku." The network announced on Thursday it will be coming back for another episode this summer, which is said to be the story's conclusion.

Misaki Ito is returning as Kyoko Otonashi, along with Taiki Nakabayashi as Yusaku Godai and Ikki Sawamura as Yusaku's rival in love, Shun Mitaka. Nana Eikura has been replaced by idol Akina Minami as Kyoko's rival, Kozue Nanao. The story is set one year later, as Yusaku finally loses his ronin status and enters college.

The episode is expected to air during the summer.
http://www.tokyograph.com/news/id-3251

I hope SARS subs this one as well :-)

myunoyume

Post by myunoyume » May 24th, '08, 13:40

atskv9 wrote: The episode is expected to air during the summer.
http://www.tokyograph.com/news/id-3251

I hope SARS subs this one as well :-)
YEAH !!!! thank you so much Askv for this very very good update ! I am really looking forward to see this last SP !!! :cheers:

kenu

Post by kenu » Jul 14th, '08, 02:31

Akina Minami - wooo, she's pretty cute. Nana Eikura at the end looked a tad young for Godai-kun.

I thought Misaki Ito did a pretty good job. I've watched alot of the anime and I didn't feel she was out of character. While she may night be the ideal softly spoken gentle widow that Kyoko Otonashi was I feel she is a more appropriate casting than Ryoko Hasegawa or Yuko Takeuchi could have been.

The chemistry between Taiki Nakabayashi and Misaki Ito is convincing.

Necromancer

Post by Necromancer » Jul 25th, '08, 14:16

So this is set to air tomorrow night at 9pm ... is anybody planning to do the recording and capture?

Unfortunately all I have is a VHS deck ... :cry:

myunoyume

Post by myunoyume » Jul 25th, '08, 14:33

Necromancer wrote:So this is set to air tomorrow night at 9pm ... is anybody planning to do the recording and capture?

Unfortunately all I have is a VHS deck ... :cry:
Oh really ???!!! :w00t:

can't wait to see it.... hoping somebody will capture it as well and sub it soon.... so good drama remembering my childhood...

Necromancer

Post by Necromancer » Jul 25th, '08, 14:42

Yup, noticed the ads on the Yamanote line tonight... and the wiki is already updated...
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Maison_Ikkoku

If anyone knows of anybody who's planning to cap this, please post here. Otherwise I'm going to have to bust out the VHS cassette... :)

atskv9

Post by atskv9 » Jul 25th, '08, 23:12

@Necromancer, lol I don't think a VHS capture will be necessary :lol Chances are high that many people in Japan will capture it and it will show up on P2P program so that d-addicts regular uploaders can put it on the site. Now the problem is whoever will be willing enough to sub it. SARS did it last time so we can only hope they would want to again :P

It's kind of a shame Eikura Nana won't be showing up as Nanao Kozue this time around as I've just recently become a fan of hers :-(

hikkichan

Post by hikkichan » Jul 26th, '08, 17:31

I enjoyed the special tonight.

I would've stuck a huge ol' 13gb ts file up here of the show, but I was distracted capping the Koda Kumi Kingdom concert so I missed the first 10 minutes.

Everything ran pretty well, it didn't fall into too many annoying drama traps (aside from the classic "I'll talk about one thing and the other character will assume I'm talking about something else")

The only thing that kind of ruined the special for me was the BLATANTLY obvious BRAND NEW Shaken sticker on the car.

djcracker

Post by djcracker » Aug 5th, '08, 00:20

I really hope someone posts it. I missed it when it was on tv too. I found out it was on after it aired.

silencio

Post by silencio » Oct 20th, '08, 02:14

i've read this manga when i was 3rd year HS, the LA is ok, Misaki-san did a credible job, only a few of her scenes required deep acting. Godai was good, though i did'nt like Eikura Nana being replaced. the replacement looked like an anorexic.

Yotsuya is funny!

Though i didn't get it, did Kyoko die earlier than Godai?