[Discussion] Algernon ni Hanataba wo (Fuji TV, 2002)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Shouta

[Discussion] Algernon ni Hanataba wo (Fuji TV, 2002)

Post by Shouta » Dec 19th, '05, 04:34

I didn't see a discussion thread for this show on the forum so I felt compelled to create one for anyone interested in this wonderful drama.

I just finished fixing up the Drama Wiki's entry for the show so please go take a look at it and let me know how it is and if I should change anything about it. A big thank you goes out to whoever helped with the redirecting and format adjustment.

I'm considering doing a soft script for the show so folks can see it however I don't have as much time as I used to and I also do my translations for other things. If anyone is willing to help me out with a primary translation (I'll do English editing and translation clean up) and timing for the show, please let me know via PM and we can arrange things.

A big thanks goes out to ap for uploading it to D-addicts.

If there already is a thread for this show that I missed, feel free to lock this mods. Also, if anything in my post doesn't fit into the rules, please feel free to edit this post. If you can't tell by now, this is the first time I've started a thread here so forgive me if you can.

Prince of Moles

Post by Prince of Moles » Dec 26th, '05, 07:46

Yes I'm watching this series as well.

This drama feels like it's taking a different turn (I'm on ep 8 of 10) than from what I remember the point of the original short story and novel was about, my take is that the story is more about how intelligence is both overrated and underappreciated but I digress.

I definitely recommend it and to (re)read Daniel Keyes original Flowers for Algernon as well. Lawnmower Man screwed it up so bad...

Plus you get to see the director of Ai no uta working with Kanno Miho again. :D

docsnoek

Post by docsnoek » Dec 26th, '05, 17:05

I would watch this series too, since I turned to a big Kanno Miho fanboy because of "Ai no Uta". But as long as there are no subs... so it would be highly appreciated. I even would offer some help, though I have no experience in subbing at all. So I'll be a nice patient guy and continue watching "Koi ga shitai³" to spend some time ;-)
Japanische Popkultur, Architektur, Kunst und sonstiger Schmonzes:
...and you will know it by the trail of words (aka Mein Blog)

kusmog

Post by kusmog » Nov 30th, '06, 10:27

I wonder if it's worth reviving this thread since it's currently the JSotW ^^;;

I thought the cast in this series did an amazing job! especially Yusuke Santamaria and Kanno Miho! Even the actress who played Miki-chan was amazing. I know some ppl can be critical of Kanno Miho's character, Erina-sensei cuz of her constant crying, but I actually found it believable because she cared about Haru so much and understood him. Hell, I cried along with her. As a matter of fact..., I think this is the only drama where I've cried at leas once in every episode of a drama series 1-11. crazy stuff.

[spoiler]I mean... in the beginning when he was mentally challenged, his so-called friends and surrogate family ridiculed him because of his condition for their own amusement. then when he becomes smarter, he wakes up to rejection and understanding the fact that he's been looked down upon all these years. Then before he can turn his life around, he starts suspecting Algernon's brain detoriation, to which of course he was right about. The torment just didn't end. And Erina-sensei was the only one to stand by him through it all. She wasn't as strong as Haru though in holding emotions, but she understood Haru enough to feel the hardship herself. Man... I love the Haru/Erina-senei chemistry... It's a little different from the book because I think in the book didn't the main character sleep with the teacher? o_O;;[/spoiler]

I haven't read the book since... Junior High School I think... I gotta make time to go and read it again. I already knew the basic ending of this series before I watched it thanks to the book.
ending spoiler:[spoiler]Like I remember being really sad while reading the book when he was writing his progress report and his writing got dramatically worse again and how he wrote that he was going to stop writing because it was too difficult for him (this also was in the drama) Although I don't exactly remember the teacher marrying the boyfriend among other things from the drama's ending. Is it just my imagination or did someone (not Algernon) die in the book? damn... i forgot... it's been so long. I got the sense though that the drama's ending tried to put a more happier spin than the book.[/spoiler]

hehehe... Kanno Miho's really cute when she says stuff like "subarashii~!" and "eeee?" to Haru =D awww I love this series.

For those who haven't seen this series yet and love the serious drama genre, definitely check this out (esp while it's JSotW)! If there was a poll for how good it was I'd give it a "5: life-altering" rating in a heartbeat ;)[/spoiler]

PurEcstasy

Post by PurEcstasy » Dec 8th, '06, 22:05

Oh my gawd! I LOVE this series! I'm currently at Episode 5 and I can't get enough. Every epsiode has made me cry. Ahhh, I love it. It deserves a lot of kudos for being so good.

quashlo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by quashlo » Dec 9th, '06, 00:15

I'm currently on Episode 4, but I'll put my initial impressions here. I agree with kusmog in that Yuusuke Santamaria does a very convincing job in his role. His "subarashii" always gets me laughing. And of course, Miho-chan does a wonderful job as well. I wish there were more dramas like this that aren't entirely based on reality, but have an element of fantasy (like Iguana no Musume).

fridaynae

Post by fridaynae » Jan 4th, '07, 04:27

is this a drama good?i've read the novel Flowers For Algernon by Daniel Keyes..and i like it..but i'm not sure about the dorama..i haven't watched it..is it the same with the novel?or do they change the storyline?

kusmog

Post by kusmog » Jan 6th, '07, 03:16

I thought this drama was one of the best I've seen but that's my own opinion. I've also read the novel so I can tell you there will be differences. The main plot is pretty much the same beginning to end, which is why it still retains the title name. There's still a lot of changes though (the active physical role of the mother and sister, the setting, events;etc.) but in my opinion, they have changed it for the better... To me the drama (in typical japanese drama fashion) has more heart.
They also cleaned up the drama more. It's far less "graphic" than the book, with the peeing himself, and all the sexual tension.
If you enjoyed the novel for its theme, I think you will enjoy this drama. If you are looking for an exact interpretation of the novel then perhaps the new characters may irk you. In my opinion though, they adapted to the story real well. If anything felt a little awkward it was the role of the teacher's boyfriend... but it's probably because I didn't want him to stand in the way between the main character and the teacher. If not for it being loosely based on the original novel, I'd still suggest you watch it as the Japanese drama it is.

fridaynae

Post by fridaynae » Jan 6th, '07, 08:15

it's better than the novel??really??that makes me wanna watch this!!but i have to wait for a while b4 i can dload n watch it since i'm currently busy registering for my new semester in university..but anyway,thanx for the info kusmog..

the_lilone

Post by the_lilone » Aug 17th, '08, 00:44

wowww.... this is a very abandoned topic....

i hope this is allowed here but i was wondering if anyone knows where i could find chinese subbed version of this series :P really want to see it! thanks!
credits to mayleann @ LJ