Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

[Discussion] Ai no Uta

Discuss Japanese drama series here.

How would you rate Ai no Uta?

Life-Altering (5)
32%
See it (4)
41%
Probably shouldn't miss it (3)
8%
Probably shouldn't miss it (3)
8%
Only if you have time (2)
9%
STAY AWAY (1)
3%

Total votes: 66

Tatsumaki

Post by Tatsumaki » Dec 14th, '05, 17:50

Well, the last show has finished. お疲れさま!

I'll just say it was good, and leave it at that until more people can see it.

For those interested, here is the very end (big spoiler):
The story ends in spring. Kataoka is still alive, but his condition hasn't been cured. They show a scene of the family and Ai-chan getting up in the morning and having breakfast. Everyone is laughing and having a good time.

Ai-chan believes that with everyone living so happily that an unlikely miracle could still happen. After all, if someone like her who wanted to die could become so happy with this family, that was already a miracle.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Dec 14th, '05, 19:06

I think that the c-sub will come out tomorrow. Can't wait! Looks like ending will be good! :)

neokenzo

Post by neokenzo » Dec 14th, '05, 19:08

Yeah cant wait to see the final episode :)

nikochanr3

Post by nikochanr3 » Dec 14th, '05, 23:16

Let's be very careful discussing the final episode, if at all.

Shouta

Post by Shouta » Dec 16th, '05, 04:28

Saw the last episode last night. It was a nice ending although it felt oddly paced a little bit. There's some great quotes throughout the episode and it's great narration/monologues by Ai in it.
Leaving the ending open-ended was totally weird though. I really didn't expect that.

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Dec 16th, '05, 04:50

Shouta wrote: Not only that, both of them has had Tamaki Koji dealing with children. :blink
It's so much better in a sense than how it's done in "Kinpachi Sensei" even if it's two different apsects to it. Then again, I've been surprised by this actor quite positively so, since I first saw him.

Saying waht you want about his voice, but I was even more surprised to learn he's doing the title tune as well.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Dec 16th, '05, 05:05

techie wrote: Saying waht you want about his voice, but I was even more surprised to learn he's doing the title tune as well.
Actually, I'd be surprised if he didn't do the theme song... Tamaki Koji is much more famous for his music than his acting. Besides his solo career, he is/was the lead vocalist for 80s band Anzen Chitai (I'm not sure if they're still together or what b/c they recorded a new album a year or two ago after years of nothing... :scratch:) ... People familiar with anime should be familiar with Anzen Chitai b/c they sang a bunch of songs for Maison Ikkoku

Shouta

Post by Shouta » Dec 17th, '05, 00:11

techie wrote:It's so much better in a sense than how it's done in "Kinpachi Sensei" even if it's two different apsects to it. Then again, I've been surprised by this actor quite positively so, since I first saw him.

Saying waht you want about his voice, but I was even more surprised to learn he's doing the title tune as well.
I'm constantly surprised by him as well. To be honest though, I think his performance in Kona koi no hanashi was better overall.

And I didn't say anything about his voice. =o I really like it myself.

ironicwave
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by ironicwave » Dec 17th, '05, 03:08

Shouta wrote:Saw the last episode last night. It was a nice ending although it felt oddly paced a little bit. There's some great quotes throughout the episode and it's great narration/monologues by Ai in it.
Leaving the ending open-ended was totally weird though. I really didn't expect that.
EDIT: ending spoiler!!!
leaving the end open was the best thing they could've done in my opinion... i was afraid this drama would make me really sad in the end... and i've already shed enough tears over this one... the ending made me feel happy and optimistic and sort of at peace with whatever outcome it would have if i spun it out in my head...
i'm glad i saw the children smiling in the end....

i also loved the two ending scenes with yaginuma-kun/female cop and iizuka-san/fusako-chan... i laughed at yaginuma for being such a blockhead... :P and iizuka-san... what can i say... he's so kawaii sou... :lol that scene was just endearing...

so, a round of applause from me for a really nice series and my hat off to this ending... :cheers: :thumright:
last, but not least, haruspex.... doumo arigatou for the subs... :wub:

techie
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by techie » Dec 17th, '05, 03:35

Shouta wrote:
techie wrote:It's so much better in a sense than how it's done in "Kinpachi Sensei" even if it's two different apsects to it. Then again, I've been surprised by this actor quite positively so, since I first saw him.

I'm constantly surprised by him as well. To be honest though, I think his performance in Kona koi no hanashi was better overall.

And I didn't say anything about his voice. =o I really like it myself.
Yeah, well I am not a big anime fan, but I must say his performance in this dorama left more of an impact on me than in Konna Koi, although he was really good there too...

Last Episode...
It was really funny how the writers drew the parallell with Konna Koi getting the guest actor into the x-mas shopping :D
Also,,,
I really think, given the scene in the church, they shoul'da gotten hitched... dang it. XD
Enough said, and .. mou ichidou arigatou haruspex-san. :)

Shouta

Post by Shouta » Dec 17th, '05, 09:24

techie wrote:
Yeah, well I am not a big anime fan, but I must say his performance in this dorama left more of an impact on me than in Konna Koi, although he was really good there too...
zuh? What does anime have to do with it? O_o

Personally, I think there's something more resonate about the situations presented in Konna Koi with Tamaki Koji's character. I think it has to a lot to do with it being more of a very plausible situation and the emotions that come out of it are just so real. I'm not saying that isn't true with Ai no Uta but it feels more relatable.
techie wrote:Last Episode...
It was really funny how the writers drew the parallell with Konna Koi getting the guest actor into the x-mas shopping :D
Enough said, and .. mou ichidou arigatou haruspex-san. :)
Yeah, I was quite surprised to see him make a cameo in the show. I was totally waiting for Hiroyuki Sanada or even Matsushima Nanako to show up all of a sudden but I guess not. :P

docsnoek

Post by docsnoek » Dec 17th, '05, 11:23

After watching the final episode twice (the first time w/o subs, I just couldn't wait and was surprised on how much I did understand *g*) I have to agree with the things that were said about it here already. I loved how they ended it, since...
...to me what the show always was about was how Ai-chan found love and learned how to be happy. With herself and with others. The open ending was truly welcome, I was prepared of crying my heart out, but felt really relieved that there was no need to :) I'm now left with the thought that either "the miracle" might happen or, in case Kataoka will really die, Ai-chan still will live a happy life. Well, a much happier life compared to the one she had before she tried to kill herself in any way.
Of course, also big thanks to haruspex for the great subs! Very good work and fast too! :)

Another thing, can anyone recommend another drama with Kanno Miho or Wakui Emi? Preferably one that is availabe here and subs would be nice too *g* Thanks!

Shouta

Post by Shouta » Dec 17th, '05, 12:07

Kanno Miho is in Koi ga Shitai x3 which is pretty good although she isn't exactly the absolute main character. She's really cute in it though and it's the total opposite of her role in Ai no uta. She's also in Flowers for Algernon (Algernon ni Hanataba) and plays the female lead alongside male lead Yusuku Santamaria. She's also really good in that as well.

For Wakui Emi, I highly recommend both Koibumi and Virgin Road. Both very good series that has had her in lead/near leading roles.

Koi ga Shitai was a series of the week a month or two back. Flowers for Algernon torrents have been put up by ap (up to episode 7 and no subs). There's a batch torrent for Koibumi and you can't find Virgin Road here at the moment.

dorakura

Post by dorakura » Dec 17th, '05, 13:07

On the subject of Kataoka's death, there are a couple of points to note:

(1) The name of his disease is never mentioned. This is obviously on purpose. If it's lung cancer or something, there's no getting around his eventual (and fairly quick) death.

(2) A funeral scene at the end or something similar would have contradicted the whole ambience of the show, which is warm and comical in places.

I personally feel that an alternate ending of Kataoka's condition getting reversed could have been worked out.

neokenzo

Post by neokenzo » Dec 17th, '05, 13:59

docsnoek wrote:After watching the final episode twice (the first time w/o subs, I just couldn't wait and was surprised on how much I did understand *g*) I have to agree with the things that were said about it here already. I loved how they ended it, since...
...to me what the show always was about was how Ai-chan found love and learned how to be happy. With herself and with others. The open ending was truly welcome, I was prepared of crying my heart out, but felt really relieved that there was no need to :) I'm now left with the thought that either "the miracle" might happen or, in case Kataoka will really die, Ai-chan still will live a happy life. Well, a much happier life compared to the one she had before she tried to kill herself in any way.
Of course, also big thanks to haruspex for the great subs! Very good work and fast too! :)
I agree. I think it was the best ending that they could have done.

SnWa

Post by SnWa » Dec 17th, '05, 18:51

Shouta wrote:Kanno Miho is in Koi ga Shitai x3 which is pretty good although she isn't exactly the absolute main character. She's really cute in it though and it's the total opposite of her role in Ai no uta. She's also in Flowers for Algernon (Algernon ni Hanataba) and plays the female lead alongside male lead Yusuku Santamaria. She's also really good in that as well.

For Wakui Emi, I highly recommend both Koibumi and Virgin Road. Both very good series that has had her in lead/near leading roles.

Koi ga Shitai was a series of the week a month or two back. Flowers for Algernon torrents have been put up by ap (up to episode 7 and no subs). There's a batch torrent for Koibumi and you can't find Virgin Road here at the moment.
Kanno Miho's performance in Koi ga Shitai was one of the things that drew me to this series. I find her face to be very expressive.

As for Virgin Road, you can find it at J-TV. Try http://japan-tv.afraid.org:6969/index.h ... irgin_road

Keeper of hells gate2

Post by Keeper of hells gate2 » Dec 18th, '05, 00:59

This is one of the best shows of the season. Which isn't saying much with Kiken na AnekiI, Hana Yori Dango are some of the shows of the season. This was a pretty good show However, I really feel the ending was a cop out. They didn't take a risk and they should have. I don't want to give the ending away, but they could have gone in two different directions and each would have been more entertaining and more thought provokitive then this conclusion. A very weak ending IMO.

Of course maybe my expectations are a little high I just got done watching

Orange Days
The Pet Series with Matusmto Jun or something. I WOULD HAVE LIKE TO HAVE BEEN HER PET.
Good Luck
Long Vacation
Summer Snow.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Dec 18th, '05, 07:52

Gad, you sure picked a tough set of doramas to follow, keeper :lol:
I thought that the ending was quite fine, but that could be the problem as it ultimately did not try for a home run :)

6502inside

Post by 6502inside » Jan 3rd, '06, 09:28

I thought the ending was underwhelming but I liked this series overall. The interactions between Ai and Fusako were great.

Anyone agree that "Ai no Namida" might have been a more fitting title? :)

EMTQueen

Post by EMTQueen » Feb 24th, '06, 19:37

Can somebody tell me what happened at the end? I'm on dial-up and haven't been able to get the final episode. You can PM me or put it under a spoiler tag, whatever you want....

Post by Guest » Mar 10th, '06, 06:36

Hi, sorry to be late to the party.

First off, my name's Ryan. I'm from Saint Louis, Missouri USA. I've recently become a jdrama fan. I'm glad I found this forum - pretty cool place you have here.

I caught the first 3 episodes of Ai No Uta on Shoutcast TV and it left me wanting more. I think this is a great drama; even though I know there's only ten episodes, I still don't want it to end. :cry:

The problem I'm having is that the Shoucast station that was broadcasting the series is now offline.

Where can I find the remaining episodes? I've been scouring online for subbed episodes but I've come up empty handed. Everyone seems to anly have RAW eps. My Japanese isn't good enough to watch TV shows and completely understand what's being said.

Anyone know where I can find some subbed eps?

Thanks in advance!

ChavezSA

Post by ChavezSA » Mar 10th, '06, 07:16

D'OH!!

I'm dumb. First I post as a guest :P and then I proceed to insert my foot in my mouth,

After just 5 minutes of looking around, I found Haruspex and daimag's sub files. Yippee!!

I love this place already!!

t3n5h1_chu_k015h173

Post by t3n5h1_chu_k015h173 » Apr 27th, '06, 19:35

Is this drama worth watching?can someone told me what's the story about?i see this dvd yesterday.... and i want 2 buy it but not sure good or not the story???? :unsure: :roll thanks :cheers: :scratch:

skachild

Post by skachild » Jul 2nd, '06, 11:14

i love this drama... cannot wait to watch the next episode lol...!!!! :goggle: :goggle: :goggle:
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Sofyx

Post by Sofyx » Jul 2nd, '06, 11:50

The ending:
i think it was where they go on living like a normal family - he lives way past his life expectancy - the end
[/spoiler]

skachild

Post by skachild » Jul 2nd, '06, 11:56

Sofyx wrote:The ending:
i think it was where they go on living like a normal family - he lives way past his life expectancy - the end
hohoho.... i almost click on your spoiler.... :sweat: :sweat:
i already on ep-7.. doesn't want to spoil the mood now lol.. :P :P

princess_jime

Post by princess_jime » Nov 16th, '06, 18:28

Well, I just finished watching this drama.
I have to say it may become one of my very best favorites. Unlike many of the previous comments, I think the whole suicidal theme for Ai-chan was very well written and acted.
The same goes for Kataoka-san's illness.
I always find these kind of subjects to be handled way too dramatically, in a way that, to me, becomes almost funny, very cheesy, and that keeps reminding me that I'm watching a TV show.
Ai no Uta left me thinking these people could be my neighbors, the characters became very real to me and the ending was also realistic, very open, yes, but realistic.

On a more personal note: a few months ago, a girl I knew killed herself. it was a very sad time for her family, and we were all shocked because she was very beautiful, and successful, a good student, an excellent daughter. it makes me think that people that commit suicide have so many other things in their minds that people around them know nothing of, that it's almost impossible to help them when they need help.
I wish shows like this one could be seen by more people, it may inspire them, tell them that there is hope tomorrow, and that we should never give up.

Well, yes, it has become one of my favorites j-dramas ever.
Last edited by princess_jime on Dec 18th, '07, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

mabo

Post by mabo » Dec 18th, '07, 02:29

i'm currently watching this drama and it's really good so i don't want to watch all the episodes fast, i'm taking my time so the story and the characters can really stay in my mind. i took that drama back when i had this 2 days of premium account on megaupload and just because there was Narimiya in it ^^ but after that i saw Kanno Miho in Satomi Hakkenden and really liked her acting skills so i was surprised to see her play a totally different part there. i've seen juste 5 episodes but i can already tell it's a really good drama. i can't help but cry at least once per episode :p it's really touching and not just simply romantic. i'm glad i started watching it and i'll take my time to enjoy the episodes i've left.

Izuno

Post by Izuno » May 13th, '08, 05:01

Does anyone know where I download this show with subs? I've been looking for it, but I can't find it. If I search for Ai no Uta, I get something else. I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me where I can get it. Thanks!

gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by gunjourui » May 13th, '08, 06:54

minamichan03

Post by minamichan03 » Jun 6th, '08, 08:27

i've started watching this drama...

and i think, i'll like this! hehe... ;)

minamichan03

almost to the ending!!

Post by minamichan03 » Jun 8th, '08, 01:02

i'm actually near the end...
i'm now going to watch the last two episodes....
starting ep. 7,my tears kept on falling....huhuhu :cry:
this story soo touching that kataoka will almost die and evryone wits for a miracle to happen..

i await for this ending!! hehe.. :roll
but,i was kinda surprise that ai-chan would actually ask kataoka to marry her.. :crazy: