3%
STAY AWAY (1)
1%

Total votes: 819

CarolL

Re: Hana Yori Dango=Meteor Garden

Post by CarolL » Nov 27th, '05, 15:11

st_heaven wrote:
SDlai wrote:Is Hana Yori Dango the japanese version of Meteor Garden?
I heard from my cousin that the Hana Yori Dango manga was based on the show Meteor Garden. :unsure:
Nope, your cousin got it wrong. Meteor Garden was based on the manga, Hana Yori Dango. The jdrama Hana Yori Dango is also based on the same manga.

[edit]
CarolL, you're fast!!! you beat me to it! :lol
:D Probably I beat you by couple of seconds. That shows that both of us love HYD so much!!

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Nov 27th, '05, 15:25

thanks for the info.
downloading right now!
http://clubbox.co.kr/Nomanymore got really awesome song

SDlai

Post by SDlai » Nov 27th, '05, 16:15

haha
wow uh..thanx :lol

shiruchan

Post by shiruchan » Nov 27th, '05, 16:49

Kathleen wrote:Wow, this episode sure was a surprise. Never thought I'd actually say this about the J-version but it was really boring to me.
I'm totally of angelic_poring's opinion, nothing really happened.
If it wasn't for the last 2 minutes of the episode I'd say this was a so unnesessary filler episode. But in the end everything seems to make sense. You can see why Makino actually does give in to being with Rui eventually. She doesn't really seem to feel all that attracted to him at that time though. As for Rui... Wow! I really liked him at the beginning of the drama (though I didn't care much about him in the beginning of the manga / anime at all) but now I think he's an **** big time. Whereas in the manga / anime Tsukushi really was a great friend to him and comforted him so he felt less lonely around her and wanted to be near her, she didn't do much in the drama that gives him the right to lose it like that. It really bugs me.
However, I was actually waiting for the Rui / Tsukushi thing to start but it seems they'll stretch it closer to the end of the series.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot that misunderstanding about sharing the same room and everything. That wasn't only funny but really cute, too. But I'm actually glad they decided to cut that part. The whole Okinawa thing is so heart wretching, I don't have any good feelings when I think of it because first thing that pops up in my mind is Doumyouji's sad face when he finds Tsukushi and Rui at the beach. ;_;
Also agreeing with angelic_poring regarding Doumyouji's mom. She smiles so beautifully when she sees Tsubaki. Kind of strange considering her first appearance in the drama was totally different. Furthermore I think she's more of a sadist in the drama. She seems to enjoy torturing people and making fun of their pain (no matter if they are her own children) whereas the manga Kaede was more like a two fisted business woman, totally unscrupulous and lacking of any warmth. Even though I really hate Kaede in the manga I can somewhat rather comprehend her actions than those of the manga Kaede. She doesn't primarily seem to be a business woman but a ****. :glare:
And lastly again agreeing with angelic_poring regarding the clothes. YUCK! Tsukushi's jacket on the date really didn't suit her at all. Rui's white jacket seems too large, and what's with those elf shoes? I don't even need to mention Doumyouji's ugly collar on the date. I wonder how they let him in to the zoo with that dead animal on. And heck, why a zoo in the first place? The only good thing about that part in the manga was that even though Doumyouji never wanted to go there as he hates animals he was being nice to that little kid. (I'm getting kind of irritated for some reason...)
Scarily enough I noticed I have the same shoes Nakatsuka (Yuuki's boyfriend) wears. Mine are red and white though. But still... In an episode that beats all former episodes in bad taste of clothing I must find something I have myself. T_T
Kat, sadly we still couldn´t talk about this episode, but I kind knew what would happen in this 6th episode. Actually, it was a bit (but just a bit) boring to me too, but I liked this one. I think all the double date part was worth, since in the end, it makes sense (just as I thought). And it will make sense also on the next episode. But what I think is: how are they going to end this series if there are left just 3 episodes?
It seems they´re going to develop the Nishikado and Yuki´s relationship, and even the one between Kami-san and Mimasaka, but there´s no time to do it, IMO. What about all those important scenes between Doumyouji and Tsukushi? And all the bad things Kaede did to them? Maybe they´re going to do another HYD season?
But seems episode 7 will be a really good one (so I hope!)

ProdigySim

Post by ProdigySim » Nov 27th, '05, 17:49

Okay, I haven't finished watching the episode yet, but I have to say I cracked up when that cell phone started playing the Imperial March Anthem (Star Wars)

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Nov 27th, '05, 18:01

ProdigySim wrote:Okay, I haven't finished watching the episode yet, but I have to say I cracked up when that cell phone started playing the Imperial March Anthem (Star Wars)
o.O star wars?? :blink :tv: XD :clap:
that must be pretty hilarious. but geez... even the director likes star war... puff
downloading 6th eps right now!

makino_sanbr

Post by makino_sanbr » Nov 27th, '05, 20:47

well... About the 6 ep..
I need subtitles... :cry:
I will not give my opinion again without then...
because like we used to say in my country.. " i burn my tong" *i don't really know if that make sense in English XD
Now i really really liked the 5 ep. i can get tired to wacth again and again...
And watching the 6 i didn't dislike...
But I'm still uneasy how they will tell the history from now..
because.. We have only more 3 ep!!!! *totally freaking out because is ending :crazy:
Some questions are in my mind
will or not will have the Saturn necklace??? I'm hoping so much that!!! *must have!
pretty much the end of the 6 ep. was the beach part...
but i really missed the lines
"I give to you all my heart.. and you turn him in pieces..."
I don't really know what did he said... but if he didn't .. he should say in the 7 ep.. T__T
and some nonsense thoughts
when rui kiss those girls... i thought:
- Well i think that every rui/ oguri shun fan will die with this.. will not survive one...
*now i really think that happened because nobody talk about this.. XD
I was screaming in home.. for sure :wub:

And when her Cellphone ring... What was that song!!!!! XD
hehehehe
The star wars theme...
Was really fun..
Well.. now I'm waiting again...
the subtitles and the 7 ep... :wub:
Last edited by makino_sanbr on Nov 27th, '05, 20:54, edited 1 time in total.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 27th, '05, 20:48

usyagitntn: Thanks for the link! I would have missed that one if it wasn't for you telling us about it. :-)

shiru-chan: I think it's cool they develop the other's relationship as well, though I agree with you and I'd like to see as much interaction as possible between Tsukushi and Doumyouji. I seriously keep my hopes up for a second season, although it might come close to impossible. Just like you I'm excited to see episode 7. Must be really cool when Tsukushi finds out why Doumyouji fought with Nakatsuka.

Btw, I have added yet another item to my wishlist: The golden cellphone. And yes, I actually do like the music. Hehehe.

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Nov 27th, '05, 21:38

Even after watching eps. 6 just now. I still didn't recognize the cellphone's voice as some starwars song. ^^ maybe it's because I've never seem starwars in the first place. anyways, i just downloaded the chinese hard subbed version. thanks to usyagitntn for the link. i coudln't catch up with the sub since it's been a long time since i actually read chinese. So it was kind of confusing :blink I will watch it again sometime soon. anyways, I thought it was pretty out of line for Doumyouji to have two girls sitting around him when he called Makino for something. Also had the notion that Doumyouji only called her so she can witness Rui kissing other girls. Therefore crashing the feeling she has for Rui. Anyhow, Rui need to stop being so tough and so stubborn. Fighting and leaving the scene without an explaination? that's just wrong. :whistling:

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 27th, '05, 22:14

pwner4once wrote: I thought it was pretty out of line for Doumyouji to have two girls sitting around him when he called Makino for something. Also had the notion that Doumyouji only called her so she can witness Rui kissing other girls. Therefore crashing the feeling she has for Rui. Anyhow, Rui need to stop being so tough and so stubborn. Fighting and leaving the scene without an explaination? that's just wrong. :whistling:
As it seems Doumyouji was sitting alone there waiting for Tsukushi when those two girls just came and sat beside him on their own. He didn't have a drink with them or anything, so I guess it wasn't all that strange.
Uhm, as for someone being stubborn and everything, don't you mean Doumyouji? However, I guess he was just feeling kind of embarassed admitting he got so mad because Nakatsuka actually offended only her, whereas Doumyouji managed to stay calm the whole time the other guy offended him.

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » Nov 27th, '05, 22:25

yep i remember how was i shocked when i see Oguri , oh nope i mean Rui , kisses those gurls >.< and TWO at one time arghhh , i found that a little disgusting , i wonder what Makino thinks at tha moment LOL still dun't get what did happened to Rui at Paris , did Shizuka dumped him or wat ???

bakaz Tsukasa , he should explain himself when Makino misunderstand him , oh , ayaay why all drama i see today just make me mad and angry , yaaaaa , it's not fun anymore , kyann

Daisukimaru

Post by Daisukimaru » Nov 27th, '05, 22:34

obssesed with this drama x]

athida

Post by athida » Nov 28th, '05, 01:10

I just tried this out cuz I was interested in how the story would be compared to Meteor Garden. And it turned out to be awesome and I am hooked on it!! :w00t: :wub: It's great!

Looking forward to every new episode that is coming out. :cheers: But it seems so short though. Only 9 eps?? :-(

shiruchan

Post by shiruchan » Nov 28th, '05, 01:21

makino_sanbr wrote:well... About the 6 ep..
I need subtitles... :cry:
I will not give my opinion again without then...
because like we used to say in my country.. " i burn my tong" *i don't really know if that make sense in English XD
Now i really really liked the 5 ep. i can get tired to wacth again and again...
And watching the 6 i didn't dislike...
But I'm still uneasy how they will tell the history from now..
because.. We have only more 3 ep!!!! *totally freaking out because is ending :crazy:
Some questions are in my mind
will or not will have the Saturn necklace??? I'm hoping so much that!!! *must have!
pretty much the end of the 6 ep. was the beach part...
but i really missed the lines
"I give to you all my heart.. and you turn him in pieces..."
I don't really know what did he said... but if he didn't .. he should say in the 7 ep.. T__T
Where are you lately, makinosan_br? Long time we don´t talk about Hanadan!
About what you said...
Eu acho que eles vão com toda a certeza, mostrar a parte do colar (Escrevendo em Português porque é pra vc mesmo que eu estou respondendo, né?). Mas a minha preocupação é a mesma que a sua: como eles vão colocar todas as cenas importantes que ainda faltam colocar em apenas três episódios? Não tem como!!! E onde vão ficar todas as maldades da mãe do Doumyouji? E a cena da chuva, do ônibus, algumas outras mais que são importantes? Eu estou é com medo de acabar me decepcionando com essa novela, sabia? Por mais que eu tenha gostado desse sexto episódio, eu sinto que poderiam ter colocado outra coisa em vez dessa estória de encontro no zoológico. Ai, precisamos urgentemente conversar!

escapist

Post by escapist » Nov 28th, '05, 07:11

Haha maybe im weird but i liked the double date, other than how it turned out of course. It wasnt that filler-ish to me. At all. It showed us a change that Tsukasa has undergone for the sake of Tsukushi.
Like what Tsukushi herself said, Yuki's bf would have been bashed up baddd if it's in school. But Tsukasa really controlled himself the way he promised Tsukushi to, but of course hearing the guy speak ill of Tsukushi was something he could NOT tolerate. He was willing to keep it in no matter how insulting to him the guy's comments were, but no, not when it's regarding Tsukushi.
Generally the things he said during the date touched my heart. :wub:

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Nov 28th, '05, 07:27

even tho there were no subs i still think this ep wasnt that bad at all :D like the person above me said the double date did show a change in tsukasa so ^^ hehehe

Karo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Karo » Nov 28th, '05, 09:52

escapist wrote:Haha maybe im weird but i liked the double date, other than how it turned out of course. It wasnt that filler-ish to me. At all. It showed us a change that Tsukasa has undergone for the sake of Tsukushi.
Like what Tsukushi herself said, Yuki's bf would have been bashed up baddd if it's in school. But Tsukasa really controlled himself the way he promised Tsukushi to, but of course hearing the guy speak ill of Tsukushi was something he could NOT tolerate. He was willing to keep it in no matter how insulting to him the guy's comments were, but no, not when it's regarding Tsukushi.
I agree with that.

Dunno where you see the filler here...

... His outfit waaaas really weid this time... I have to say that too. ^^;

fybabe

Post by fybabe » Nov 28th, '05, 16:58

gosh... there's quite a lot of misunderstanding about this ep 6 from you guys i feel...
i suggest you wait for the subs and watch it again!
it's really a great ep!
there's lots of touching and funny conversation, and you will feel that the whole story telling and transitions are very smooth!
lol

just wait! really!
and the scene at the pub where the 2 girls are seated next to dom. dom wanted to show off makino to them, but end up having them poke fun at makino, and dom was proud that makino yelled at them and yelled at the girls to f-off...

it wasn't dom who made makino notice rui, it was soujiro. soujiro was just teasing them that they were fighting again, then makino turned her head and saw rui.

the mahjong session was great too! coz dom was losing at mahjong and soujiro said that rui was winning... dom's expression when he got the call from makino was funny and he was suddenly in a great mood even though he turned down the date! so childish! but his expression was funny when rui said he'd go...

after dom's sis hinted to dom about his greatest enemy, he called makino in the car to tell her to call him if she felt there's something weird going on. that was really kakkoi of dom actually.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 28th, '05, 19:11

escapist wrote:It wasnt that filler-ish to me. At all. It showed us a change that Tsukasa has undergone for the sake of Tsukushi.
It was nice he controlled himself for her sake and everything, but didn't we already see he changed in terms of self-control when he let himself beat up for Tsukushi ? The 6th episode was a filler episode to me insofar as there wasn't much of a plot. I think they could've come up with a more original way of using the crucial lines that depict Doumyouji's character development (although I really think after ep 5 it wasn't that necessary anymore). This is not about once more comparing the drama to the manga. I, as a fan of the manga am basically not disappointed because they didn't remain true to the original version of the date (which was somewhat more interesting in my opinion) but they changed the setting and some circumstances and yet kept so much of it that there wasn't anything I couldn't predict easily, other than ep 5 when I really couldn't tell at all. (I guess I'm one of the VERY few who actually like the 5th ep.) Moreover I didn't really feel touched or anything at any part of this ep. At least not in the fuzzy way. Probably once again because of the quick pace. Doumyouji changing that drastically within such short time seems rather unrealistic than cute to me which is why I cannot fully cherish him saying those lines some of you were referring to.
I did feel touched in terms of sympathizing with the characters though. I was kind of sad for Doumyouji at the end and I could clearly feel Doumyouji's happiness going poof when he had just played the untouchable, sneering at the double date in front of the other guys when Rui suddenly said he'll go then. (That smile of his fading away really made me feel sorry for him...)
I think such a long-winded way of picturing some character's development in detail is definitely okay for a manga series that counts 36 volumes, or for meteor garden with its 28 (?) episodes but the J-drama is SO short. They cut a lot of things that are not only entertaining but also important to really understand things and to get a feeling for the situation of each character. Take Rui for instance. Somehow he's just there. He came back and that's it. No explanation, not even a hint, nothing. He looks at his best, too, he smiles a lot and is quite talkative. I'm probably alone with the opinion, but I think this was really lame.

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Nov 28th, '05, 23:01

uhh okay .. i don't want to read all of these spoilers. I'm so tempted, but no, I must remain calm! Gawhhh.. Gehh, I finally watched episode 5, wow.. awww! Guess I understand what some of you said wayyyy earlier.. about episode 5, and the disappointments. Well, I wasn't too disappointed with that episode. I understand that they need to change things around to make everything fit in 9 episodes. Though, the "I believe you" part would have been nice to see, I don't mind at all that the part where he rescues her replaced it. It still showed a significant event, and my oh my, how sweet they looked when she blocked that chair from her, then he said I love you.. :wub: I couldn't stop myself from giggling .. [yes I still act like a teeny bopper at times]!! And they looked mighty adorable in the end before Rui enters the scene. As always, I can't wait til SARS release the 6th episode! :P

escapist

Post by escapist » Nov 29th, '05, 06:01

Kathleen wrote:
escapist wrote:It wasnt that filler-ish to me. At all. It showed us a change that Tsukasa has undergone for the sake of Tsukushi.
It was nice he controlled himself for her sake and everything, but didn't we already see he changed in terms of self-control when he let himself beat up for Tsukushi ? The 6th episode was a filler episode to me insofar as there wasn't much of a plot. I think they could've come up with a more original way of using the crucial lines that depict Doumyouji's character development (although I really think after ep 5 it wasn't that necessary anymore). This is not about once more comparing the drama to the manga. I, as a fan of the manga am basically not disappointed because they didn't remain true to the original version of the date (which was somewhat more interesting in my opinion) but they changed the setting and some circumstances and yet kept so much of it that there wasn't anything I couldn't predict easily, other than ep 5 when I really couldn't tell at all. (I guess I'm one of the VERY few who actually like the 5th ep.) Moreover I didn't really feel touched or anything at any part of this ep. At least not in the fuzzy way. Probably once again because of the quick pace. Doumyouji changing that drastically within such short time seems rather unrealistic than cute to me which is why I cannot fully cherish him saying those lines some of you were referring to.
I did feel touched in terms of sympathizing with the characters though. I was kind of sad for Doumyouji at the end and I could clearly feel Doumyouji's happiness going poof when he had just played the untouchable, sneering at the double date in front of the other guys when Rui suddenly said he'll go then. (That smile of his fading away really made me feel sorry for him...)
I think such a long-winded way of picturing some character's development in detail is definitely okay for a manga series that counts 36 volumes, or for meteor garden with its 28 (?) episodes but the J-drama is SO short. They cut a lot of things that are not only entertaining but also important to really understand things and to get a feeling for the situation of each character. Take Rui for instance. Somehow he's just there. He came back and that's it. No explanation, not even a hint, nothing. He looks at his best, too, he smiles a lot and is quite talkative. I'm probably alone with the opinion, but I think this was really lame.
I think it's only natural different people feel differently towards the episode. :-) I see where you're coming from, yup. For me Ep 5 was touching indeed, with Tsukasa willing to sacrifice himself and proving his feelings for Tsukushi. But I just thought Ep 6 was a little different. It's like a more holistic view to his general character change. GAHH I'm not good with words, not sure if anyone understands what I'm tryna say. Anyway, I find the date part good on its own. I didnt really think of comparing it to previous episodes or the original date in manga/MG, perhaps that's why. But true upon comparison, this ep did not have as great an impact as the previous few. But I still like it nonetheless. A matter of personal taste I guess! :lol

Another thing is I felt that the date was the producers' way of building things up for the huge misunderstanding we see at the end of this episode. What happened during the date caused the crucial conflict.

And I agree on your Rui thing. Basically I've kinda accepted the fact that this drama is concentrating on the development of the r/ship of Tsukushi and Tsukasa, and the producers are merely moulding f3 and the others into roles that fit in with that.

rhap

Post by rhap » Nov 29th, '05, 08:48

Even though i didn't fully understand the ep, i reckon it wasn't too bad - not fantastic though...

Sometimes i think the HYD is travelling too fast, other times, it's a little too slow for 9 eps...oh well another 3 eps to go

a little off topic, (don't know if anyone's pointed this out) but i was just watching Initial D and i realised that the Tsuyoshi Abe who plays Akira also plays one of Takumi's friends and an employee at the petrol station...nonspeaking role though....never realised it before...

CarolL

Post by CarolL » Nov 29th, '05, 10:40

hmm_yeh wrote:uhh okay .. i don't want to read all of these spoilers. I'm so tempted, but no, I must remain calm! Gawhhh.. Gehh, I finally watched episode 5, wow.. awww! Guess I understand what some of you said wayyyy earlier.. about episode 5, and the disappointments. Well, I wasn't too disappointed with that episode. I understand that they need to change things around to make everything fit in 9 episodes. Though, the "I believe you" part would have been nice to see, I don't mind at all that the part where he rescues her replaced it. It still showed a significant event, and my oh my, how sweet they looked when she blocked that chair from her, then he said I love you.. :wub: I couldn't stop myself from giggling .. [yes I still act like a teeny bopper at times]!! And they looked mighty adorable in the end before Rui enters the scene. As always, I can't wait til SARS release the 6th episode! :P
I'll put spoiler for this part of responding because some had not seen Ep.5 yet:
I believe you" part is somewhat too early to say in Ep.5. Rather than "I believe you", I still like the "I'm sorry, I didn't believe you". This phrase that he said demostrated their first stage of trust for each other because Tsukasa did realized in the end that he was wrong of not believing her. He didn't particular said I love you, he said I like you. If he has said, "I love you" to her, she'll be like, "Are you crazy?? You don't even know me that well." :lol :D

fybabe

Post by fybabe » Nov 29th, '05, 12:31

the full damn hyd ep 6 translation!!
gosh... i must be mad...
it's a word document, so that sucks... i donno how to sub it, but i think it's pretty accurate... although i do need help with some japanese names here and there.

actually, it was a pleasure doing it coz i so love this ep!!

http://s6.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1KOK5 ... DWDEGBVRCC

i can ul to more ysi if this runs out... just post a request.
enjoy!

twothreefour

Post by twothreefour » Nov 29th, '05, 14:33

:cheers:

fybabe for TEH WIN! *downloads*

escapist

Post by escapist » Nov 29th, '05, 16:36

rhap wrote: a little off topic, (don't know if anyone's pointed this out) but i was just watching Initial D and i realised that the Tsuyoshi Abe who plays Akira also plays one of Takumi's friends and an employee at the petrol station...nonspeaking role though....never realised it before...
Still off topic but he was also in the taiwanese drama Mi Jia Le Zhi Wu (The Dance of Michaelo..?), starring Energy. In fact I read somewhere that he's half chinese! Not too sure about that though.

And tada!! 1000th post in this thread! :cheers:

Karo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Karo » Nov 29th, '05, 16:42

fybabe wrote:the full damn hyd ep 6 translation!!
gosh... i must be mad...
it's a word document, so that sucks... i donno how to sub it, but i think it's pretty accurate... although i do need help with some japanese names here and there.

actually, it was a pleasure doing it coz i so love this ep!!

http://s6.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1KOK5 ... DWDEGBVRCC

i can ul to more ysi if this runs out... just post a request.
enjoy!
Why don't you tell furransu?? ^^

heppy

Post by heppy » Nov 29th, '05, 17:47

ok.. i haven see epis 5 n 6 actually.. but from the spoilers i read i generally get a feel to wad's gng to happen..
well i seriously think that ppl are expecting too much from this show.. be it manga readers, or tw MG fans.. or whatever.. i mean.. it's just a show adapted from hana yori dango manga.. the scriptwriters wanna adapt it in this particular way so be it.. well ii'm not a reader of the manga.. neither did i watch MG.. maybe that's probably y i enjoy this show sooooooooooooo much.. cos i see it as itself.. not exactly an adpatation though i know perfectly it is an adaptation n i kind of know the ending.. but still i love it as a show on its own.. ahhhhhhhhhhh well.. i don't know what am i talkin abt alr.. >.>
i shld show this show to my fren someday.. she doesn't even know what is meteor garden and what nots.. n see if she likes it.. =D

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Nov 29th, '05, 18:11

CarolL wrote:I'll put spoiler for this part of responding because some had not seen Ep.5 yet:
I believe you" part is somewhat too early to say in Ep.5. Rather than "I believe you", I still like the "I'm sorry, I didn't believe you". This phrase that he said demostrated their first stage of trust for each other because Tsukasa did realized in the end that he was wrong of not believing her. He didn't particular said I love you, he said I like you. If he has said, "I love you" to her, she'll be like, "Are you crazy?? You don't even know me that well." :lol :D
I agree, it was a first step on road to trust. But I dont think they'll have that I believe part in the next following episodes though.. I think they're mainly going to focus on other things..
he didn't say "I love you"?! Ek ek ek.. I thought he did, well that's what I read at least.. hmm .. okay [just rewinded to the part] yeah, that's what SARS had translated.. the scene before he hugged her .. doesn't waishteru >> something along line, doesn't that mean I love you?!! I don't know quite well, but .. I wouldn't be surprised if he had said I love you... sure it's a little early, but I think they needed to establish that fact that Domyouji feels strongly for Makino, and that's why he did what he needed to. I don't think anyone would go through what Domyouji did, if it was only "like".. Love pushes you to do drastic things and I guess that's why it isn't surprising that he did say I love you.. Dunno.. just my though! :lol

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 29th, '05, 18:22

What Caroll wrote is not exactly true. "Suki" means both to like and to love. "Ai" is a term with a somewhat stronger meaning whereas "suki" rather refers to being in love as does "Koi", but you hardly ever hear someone say "Koi shiteru" to the one he or she is in love with. "Ai shiteru" and "Koi shiteru" (both mean "I love [you, him, her]") are phrases that are mostly used for describing a feeling, "Suki desu / da" is what people usually say to the one they love as a form of expressing their feelings. Don't know if this is clear to you. It's like the reversed case in English: You usually say to your partner "I love you" rather than "I'm in love with you", right?
As for the "Ai" and "Suki" thing, Doumyouji describes his feelings for Tsukushi as "Ai" when explaining why he let himself beat up for her, so it doesn't really seem to make a difference to him.

@fybabe: I read your translation and did some loose corrections. (Didn't have much time.) I had problems understanding that one line you didn't get either (right at the beginning of the ep) though. Did someone tell you what Doumyouji's saying already?
Last edited by Kathleen on Nov 29th, '05, 18:32, edited 2 times in total.

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Nov 29th, '05, 18:27

Yep, I understand. I was just thinking b/c I remember seeing something like this being explained on a site. One having a much deeper meaning than the ther. But I understand.

NYSurf

Post by NYSurf » Nov 29th, '05, 22:42

I wanted to ask you guys, or anyone who has japanese background experience... In the first episode, What is it that Makino says to Domyoji..."Don't be full of yourself" I've been trying to analyze this over and over again, but I can't put it on paper... If someone can tell me the proper way to write this phrase it would be great. Thanks guys

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Nov 29th, '05, 23:16

NYSurf wrote:I wanted to ask you guys, or anyone who has japanese background experience... In the first episode, What is it that Makino says to Domyoji..."Don't be full of yourself" I've been trying to analyze this over and over again, but I can't put it on paper... If someone can tell me the proper way to write this phrase it would be great. Thanks guys
If you mean when she punched him, she said 「調子こいてんじゃねぇよ!」

SDlai

subtitles prob

Post by SDlai » Nov 30th, '05, 01:51

does anyone else not see da subtitles for ep. 6?
it only shows the chinese subs...but no english...;_;

BokuWaShinigami

Post by BokuWaShinigami » Nov 30th, '05, 03:15

escapist wrote:
rhap wrote: a little off topic, (don't know if anyone's pointed this out) but i was just watching Initial D and i realised that the Tsuyoshi Abe who plays Akira also plays one of Takumi's friends and an employee at the petrol station...nonspeaking role though....never realised it before...
Still off topic but he was also in the taiwanese drama Mi Jia Le Zhi Wu (The Dance of Michaelo..?), starring Energy. In fact I read somewhere that he's half chinese! Not too sure about that though.

And tada!! 1000th post in this thread! :cheers:
^I don't know if he's half Chinese, but he was definitely born in China and speaks great Mandarin! ^_^

Is he really in Mi Jia Le Zhi Wu? =OOO And Initial D?? Seriously?? =O WHOA. I totally missed that.

More on topic: (Eheh.) Episode 6 was very interesting. After watching it I could see elements from the original manga embedded in it - it's quite fascinating to see how the screenplay writers condensed the story. Side note: the animals were cute. =D

Some thoughts on Domyouji-san (the mother):
I think the way she's played in the Jdrama is sort of...strange. Like she smiles at weird times, and even thought I think that they're supposed to be sarcastic or whatnot smiles, it was just plain weird for me. I really liked the way her personnage was played out in MG - very strict and she had this really overbearing presence which made her a much stronger character that made you somewhat fear her.

CarolL

Post by CarolL » Nov 30th, '05, 04:47

hmm_yeh wrote: I agree, it was a first step on road to trust. But I dont think they'll have that I believe part in the next following episodes though.. I think they're mainly going to focus on other things..
he didn't say "I love you"?! Ek ek ek.. I thought he did, well that's what I read at least.. hmm .. okay [just rewinded to the part] yeah, that's what SARS had translated.. the scene before he hugged her .. doesn't waishteru >> something along line, doesn't that mean I love you?!! I don't know quite well, but .. I wouldn't be surprised if he had said I love you... sure it's a little early, but I think they needed to establish that fact that Domyouji feels strongly for Makino, and that's why he did what he needed to. I don't think anyone would go through what Domyouji did, if it was only "like".. Love pushes you to do drastic things and I guess that's why it isn't surprising that he did say I love you.. Dunno.. just my though! :lol
He said "suki desu" right? It means "like" in Japanese. If he had said "aishiteru", it means "love" in Japanese. I really think he said "suki desu", not "aishiteru" to her. So, the translation to SARS is not 100% correct.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Nov 30th, '05, 05:08

CarolL wrote: He said "suki desu" right? It means "like" in Japanese. If he had said "aishiteru", it means "love" in Japanese. I really think he said "suki desu", not "aishiteru" to her. So, the translation to SARS is not 100% correct.
Japanese is a very nuanced language built upon a lot of cultural baggage.
See here for some more discussion on it: http://jdorama.com/viewtopic.7026.htm
It may sound extreme to Western ears, but there really isn't an exact translation for the little nuances/implications tagged along with it compared to other ways of literally saying "I love you" or even "I'm interested in you" or "I like you". But basically, the SARS translation is fine.

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Nov 30th, '05, 05:19

mizune: thanx for the link! I love that discussion, it explains the whole "aishiteru" and "suki desu" better. It's also pretty entertaining the suggested "turn down" phrases they posted. Very very entertaining! :D

CarolL

Post by CarolL » Nov 30th, '05, 05:22

mizune wrote:
CarolL wrote: He said "suki desu" right? It means "like" in Japanese. If he had said "aishiteru", it means "love" in Japanese. I really think he said "suki desu", not "aishiteru" to her. So, the translation to SARS is not 100% correct.
Japanese is a very nuanced language built upon a lot of cultural baggage.
See here for some more discussion on it: http://jdorama.com/viewtopic.7026.htm
It may sound extreme to Western ears, but there really isn't an exact translation for the little nuances/implications tagged along with it compared to other ways of literally saying "I love you" or even "I'm interested in you" or "I like you". But basically, the SARS translation is fine.
Thanks mizune for telling me. Didn't know it means both like and love for the Japanese term for "suki desu". I have been studying Japanese for over 3 years now, so I was always taught in school that "suki desu" means "like". I better tell my teacher now, thanks for explaining me this, good that I learn something new today. THANKS!!

xLilVietDevilx

Post by xLilVietDevilx » Nov 30th, '05, 05:22

tehehe :D just watched 1-5 of hana yori dango :] me like, its so touching ^^

fybabe

Post by fybabe » Nov 30th, '05, 07:57

omg!!
everyone!! YAMETE EVIE from jdorama helped made a sub file for ep 6 with my translation!! and she also helped me enhance some parts!!

here it is!!

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ARLPQ1P9

missfaye

Post by missfaye » Nov 30th, '05, 08:25

omg thanks!! =] (for the subs!! ^^*V)

*kawaii*

Post by *kawaii* » Nov 30th, '05, 12:11

thanx alote i love this manga
but it has a bad ending
i hope the drama will change
the ending

seeya

angelic_poring

Post by angelic_poring » Nov 30th, '05, 15:49

... i wasn't that happy about the ending either...(in the manga) made me really sad actually o.o;

*kawaii*

Post by *kawaii* » Nov 30th, '05, 20:54

yeah in the manga you can call it an opening ending
that u dont really know if the lover will be togather or not
like they left it to our thoughts

PLZZ i want a happy ending draamaa makers :^_^ :

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Dec 1st, '05, 00:53

*kawaii* wrote:thanx alote i love this manga
but it has a bad ending
i hope the drama will change
the ending

seeya
gee.. i'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought that. It made you feel like you needed more right?!? like ...
whether he comes come and when he does, what happens?! I disliked the fact that he went to NY almost right after the prom, it made me sad. The ending made me sad! I wanted to see more Tsukushi/Tsukasa interaction. Especially since his mom finally gave in to what Tsukasa will want .. [remember when Tsubaki asked her mom what she plans to do w/ Tsukasa and Tsukushi.. then she said that by the time the company's in good standing -was it a given 4 years?! don't remember- Tsukasa would know what's right from wrong, so she wouldn't stop him anymore...] damn, i just wanted more.. In any case, though it didn't end as I wanted, I still love HYD! But I agree with you, hopefully it'll be a happier ending with the Japan drama! :wub:

angelic_poring

Post by angelic_poring » Dec 1st, '05, 01:20

yea.. but i wuz just really mad that it was an openending... i hate open endings >_<;;;
i mean.. we never know if they'll be back together.. although doumyouji has definately proven his unfaltering love for tsukushi, i still felt afraid for them. I mean, it's not so much that i don't trust him.. altho i'm not so sure if i trust tsukushi XD .. but i mean.. it's four years.. =/;;; anything can happen in four years.. i unno.. i have confidence in doumyouji but for some reason, i feel really worried....

xLilVietDevilx

Post by xLilVietDevilx » Dec 1st, '05, 01:26

im really eager to see how this drama ends too. i want it to have a happy ending :| but whenever theres like a love triangle it never has a happy ending cuz somebody isnt happy >:[

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Dec 1st, '05, 01:39

angelic_poring: I definitely agree with you.
The same goes for me, there really isn't a guarantee that they will get back together. I definitely trust Domyouji, being that he has proven his love numerous times. As oppose to Tsukushi, it's true that she has finally admitted her love for him. But there's always some sort of uncertainty there. Take his amnesia for instance, at first.. she tried to get him to remember her, but after a while, she almost decided to just give up. It was definitely unlike her, but for her to give up, I felt like she doesn't feel as strongly for Domyouji, as he did with her. I'm not trying to bust Tsukushi's chops, but I feel uncertain about her. The only thing that makes be believe that they will eventually end up together is that fact that she promised him that she'll wait for him. But once again, the uncertainties, with her gullible personality, she could be tricked into thinking that Domyouji moved on .. or yata yata yata [making up a situation].
Anyway, definitely am hoping for a different ending than the manga. I was content with the MG ending b/c though it was simple, it gave you the feeling of "happily ever after" [maybe not so much, but you know what Im trying to say]... :scratch:

Demibaby

Post by Demibaby » Dec 1st, '05, 02:00

Damn it I wanna see the wedding I've been visualizing in my head since Meteor Garden! :cussing:

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Dec 1st, '05, 04:50

Demibaby wrote:Damn it I wanna see the wedding I've been visualizing in my head since Meteor Garden! :cussing:
ahahaha! I did the same thing, you know what calmed my nerves.. go to this site, it's absolutely one of the best, if not the best Hana Yori Dango sites.

http://hyd.owarinai.net/fanart.php

oh man, I love that persons fan work too, very nice art! and can't you just imgaine exactly how it roll plays. :P

angelic_poring

Post by angelic_poring » Dec 1st, '05, 23:45

ahhh the art's so beautiful!!! she can draw so well! *is jealous* hehehe ^_^ yay, i'm so happy now, if only that was the actual ending ^__^ this certainly made my day ^^

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Dec 2nd, '05, 02:31

I know right!?! The drawing looks a lot like the characters, too bad I don't have the same artisic flair. :crying: It would have been a great alternate ending. Hmm .. I wonder if Kamio-senpai have ever thought of having a different ending? She was definitely brilliant for coming up with this manga!

ohsosweet

Post by ohsosweet » Dec 2nd, '05, 03:16

my computer crashed...... :pale: would anyone be so kind to tell me what happens in episode 4? please. is there another site where i can dL ep.6-? because the ones on torrent with eng subs goes up to 5. or is it gunna come? im sorry if im annoying anyone by this message if it seems like im whining. im just new to this site so i dont know what to expect. :cry: thnks! :heart:

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Dec 2nd, '05, 03:46

ohsosweet wrote:my computer crashed...... :pale: would anyone be so kind to tell me what happens in episode 4? please. is there another site where i can dL ep.6-? because the ones on torrent with eng subs goes up to 5. or is it gunna come? im sorry if im annoying anyone by this message if it seems like im whining. im just new to this site so i dont know what to expect. :cry: thnks! :heart:
it's okay!!! it hapens.. uhm.. just wait for episode 6 with english hardsub, SARS will be releasing it tomorrow.. so a little patience will help, just as Tsukasa mimicked.. "patience is a virtue." Hmm.. I can tell you what happened in episode 4 [if no one tells you before me], but give me some time, I have so many papers due by next week and frankly I'm freaking out! :pale: But anyway, tomorrow SARS will release episode 6 [something I've been patiently waiting for!!] and I'm sure it'll be great!! :thumright:

angelic_poring

Post by angelic_poring » Dec 2nd, '05, 03:55

i'm sure kamio thought about having a different ending and considered all the possibilities, she probably thought that the ending she chose was the most appropriate... altho i quite frankly am not thrilled about her choice of the ending..
-___________- *sigh*.. bleh! thinking of it makes me depressed! lol

xLilVietDevilx

Post by xLilVietDevilx » Dec 2nd, '05, 04:05

muahaha, i feel as if i've been struck by lightening :lol

n e who cant wait till tomorrow :w00t: as of now im downloading the hana yori dango manga :o i was gonna get the anime but i dont really wanna watch something made in 1997 >_> the way they draw isnt really to my liking.

if u guys need episode summaries go here:

http://randomc.animeblogger.net/categor ... ori-dango/

great webby with detailed summaries of each episode :-)

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Dec 2nd, '05, 05:05

gehh, cute line! ahaha >>[re-enacting the scene w/ Tsuaksa and Tsubaki in my mind]!!<< Hmm.. an hour left until midnight strikes, but I wonder what time SARS will put it up.. I'm simply squirming in my seat.. Damn I need to get this paper done! :crazy:

innocentrules

Post by innocentrules » Dec 2nd, '05, 05:42

Can upload Hana Yori Dango's OST in yousendit link? Or can i get it in any cb? Thanks

yarichin

Post by yarichin » Dec 2nd, '05, 05:47

Hrmm... Been watching it because a few girls I know were talking about the manga and I was curious about the whole F4 dealio. Now I am sorta hooked on the drama inspite of it being oh so shoujo-inspired and definately targeted at girls. It's uh, Japanese practice...yeah, that's it.

tlina069
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by tlina069 » Dec 2nd, '05, 06:39

In this Japanese version, it's funny how they make Doumyouji has that "Napoleon Syndrome".
Hehehehehe...Don't you guys think so?? :D

Kirari

Post by Kirari » Dec 2nd, '05, 12:39

Wheee... just finished episode 6. It's so much funnier than when watching the raw. OMG, the fugly plushie is killing me. XD XD Domyoji is so sweet, I love this episode.

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Dec 2nd, '05, 21:08

:cry: i'm still waiting for the SARS release.. I'm going crazy! ek ek ek.. now I gotta go to class.. hope by the time classes end, SARS would have released it... :cry:
Last edited by hmm_yeh on Dec 2nd, '05, 23:31, edited 1 time in total.

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Dec 2nd, '05, 23:13

Kirari wrote:Wheee... just finished episode 6. It's so much funnier than when watching the raw. OMG, the fugly plushie is killing me. XD XD Domyoji is so sweet, I love this episode.
LOL :lol :lol I almost died from laughter watching this episode...or I should say my sister almost died, coz I kept hitting her with the pillow, whenever there was a funny scene.
When he was talking on the phone and said HA!!!!??????? Man, you can pratically see air coming out of his nose :lol :lol I really love Jun in this drama...He'd outstaged Tsukushi in this episode(ep6).

TiteSriz

Post by TiteSriz » Dec 2nd, '05, 23:33

hay all

i'm waiting for the 4th episode to arrive :)

i kind a like this drama

it better in a his way than the taiwan one
it's not in the same style :)

but i don't like the actor of tsukasa , but it's just me

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Dec 2nd, '05, 23:38

hmm.. anyone know when the 6th episode will come.. i'm getting annoying, but I'm soo psyched to see it..... :stress:

6:14 pm..

okay.. I'll shut up now, I went to the SARS fansub site where I learned that episode 6 will be delayed. Real life situations have to be first priority. I understand now, so I'll quit whining and wait until it comes out. :D

ohsosweet

Post by ohsosweet » Dec 3rd, '05, 00:35

hmm_yeh wrote:
ohsosweet wrote:my computer crashed...... :pale: would anyone be so kind to tell me what happens in episode 4? please. is there another site where i can dL ep.6-? because the ones on torrent with eng subs goes up to 5. or is it gunna come? im sorry if im annoying anyone by this message if it seems like im whining. im just new to this site so i dont know what to expect. :cry: thnks! :heart:
it's okay!!! it hapens.. uhm.. just wait for episode 6 with english hardsub, SARS will be releasing it tomorrow.. so a little patience will help, just as Tsukasa mimicked.. "patience is a virtue." Hmm.. I can tell you what happened in episode 4 [if no one tells you before me], but give me some time, I have so many papers due by next week and frankly I'm freaking out! :pale: But anyway, tomorrow SARS will release episode 6 [something I've been patiently waiting for!!] and I'm sure it'll be great!! :thumright:
YES PLEASE!! no rush. thnks! :wub:

twothreefour

Post by twothreefour » Dec 3rd, '05, 00:41

Nya has released their Episode 6 hardsub. :w00t:

http://nya.kadaan.com/

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » Dec 3rd, '05, 01:54

Just finished watching eps 07 , ayaya XD , here's on my CB ,

HANA YORI DANGO EPISODE 7

http://down.clubbox.co.kr/Nomanymore/fxtn4

ohsosweet

Post by ohsosweet » Dec 3rd, '05, 02:16

im so jealous haha.. already ep 7? still on ep 4!!! im getting there...

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Dec 3rd, '05, 03:02

THIS EPISODE WAS SO F*****G GREAT!!!
I love that Tsukushi wasn't serious when she dated Rui.
I love the way Tsukushi and Doumyouji instantly started quarreling again when they met.
I love the way Shun looked. He was gorgeous!
I love the humor. I laughed so hard when Tsukushi dragged Rui out of that bookstore or when the F4 got into a big fight in front of... an apple advertisement? Hey, is this a hint? Some connection to "big apple"? ^^;
I also love the way they confronted Tsukushi with Nakatsuka, and the way she heard about the true reasons of Doumyouji having hit him earlier. It made much more sense than in the manga where he just blabbered it out without no comprehend reason.
I'm really sad about the ending of ep 7, but it's COOL she refused Rui's kiss.
AND good news for all you manga lovers: Looks like we're gonna have both: The Saturn necklace AND the rain scene. Although I was one of the few who didn't want the rain scene as it's too S-A-D!!! ;_;
But most of you like it, so you should be happy. I'm happy! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

shiruchan

Post by shiruchan » Dec 3rd, '05, 04:38

Kathleen wrote:THIS EPISODE WAS SO F*****G GREAT!!!
I love that Tsukushi wasn't serious when she dated Rui.
I love the way Tsukushi and Doumyouji instantly started quarreling again when they met.
I love the way Shun looked. He was gorgeous!
I love the humor. I laughed so hard when Tsukushi dragged Rui out of that bookstore or when the F4 got into a big fight in front of... an apple advertisement? Hey, is this a hint? Some connection to "big apple"? ^^;
I also love the way they confronted Tsukushi with Nakatsuka, and the way she heard about the true reasons of Doumyouji having hit him earlier. It made much more sense than in the manga where he just blabbered it out without no comprehend reason.
I'm really sad about the ending of ep 7, but it's COOL she refused Rui's kiss.
AND good news for all you manga lovers: Looks like we're gonna have both: The Saturn necklace AND the rain scene. Although I was one of the few who didn't want the rain scene as it's too S-A-D!!! ;_;
But most of you like it, so you should be happy. I'm happy! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
All I have to say is: I agree with you, Kath! That was a great, but a really great episode! The whole episode was pretty good, so no complainments about it!
Oh, I almost fainted

when I saw Doumyouji with that telescope! So we´re going to see this scene! Yes!!!!!!!!
I have no words to describe this episode. It´s really one of the best episodes so far.
But I´m just worried about the ending os this series. Just 2 more ahead, and how they´re going to end this?

CarolL

Post by CarolL » Dec 3rd, '05, 04:58

shiruchan wrote:
when I saw Doumyouji with that telescope! So we´re going to see this scene! Yes!!!!!!!!
I have no words to describe this episode. It´s really one of the best episodes so far.
But I´m just worried about the ending os this series. Just 2 more ahead, and how they´re going to end this?
This Ep.7 is one of the best episodes ever after Ep.4 and Ep.5!! I LOVE this Ep.!!!
Absolutely and totally agree on Tsukasa with that telescope, it just makes me melt there at that spilt minutes and I also die of a heart attack when they stopped at that part before the Saturn necklace and the kiss for the next episode!!! I really wanted to see the kiss between Tsukasa and Tsukushi, I CANNOT wait till next week. I demand it NOW..............
Anyway, with only 2 eps. left till the end of HYD, I have faith on the producers to end this drama in an excellent and satifying closure to the storyline.

phantasimaker

Confused, please help!! thanks =)

Post by phantasimaker » Dec 3rd, '05, 08:53

I am confused.

Usually the normal length of "hour-length jdramas" have 11 episodes. Shouldn't Hana Yori Dango have 11 episodes?

Why is it there is a big rumor that Hana Yori Dango only have 9 episodes?

I checked the official TBS site of Hana Yori Dango, but it doesn't tell how many episodes in total there are going to be.

Confused,

Please help me.^^

Thank you very much =)

meiohsetsuna
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: Confused, please help!! thanks =)

Post by meiohsetsuna » Dec 3rd, '05, 10:45

phantasimaker wrote:I am confused.

Usually the normal length of "hour-length jdramas" have 11 episodes. Shouldn't Hana Yori Dango have 11 episodes?

Why is it there is a big rumor that Hana Yori Dango only have 9 episodes?

I checked the official TBS site of Hana Yori Dango, but it doesn't tell how many episodes in total there are going to be.
In my experiences the normal length of a Jdorama is usually anywhere from 9-13 eps, especially when counting the 'specials'. >.<

It just kinda seems to be a consensus among the drama community that HYD is 9 eps long...
Never really questioned it. :scratch: