Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

[Discussion] Hana Yori Dango (Meteor Garden Manga) jdrama

Discuss Japanese drama series here.

How would you rate Hana Yori Dango?

Life-Altering (5)
42%
See it (4)
40%
Probably shouldn't miss it (3)
7%
Probably shouldn't miss it (3)
7%
Only if you have time (2)
3%
STAY AWAY (1)
1%

Total votes: 819

shiruchan

Post by shiruchan » Nov 23rd, '05, 02:34

makino_sanbr wrote:
slippyepic wrote:
Whereas here Makino and Donmyoji still seems "awkward" and "new" to each other.
Or to put it another way. In the manga, Donymoji goes through this process onto his Maslovian stages toward compassionate love.

1) I believe you (Sakurako)
2) I forgive you (Rui)
3) I will protect you (Junpei)
4) I will go to hell for you (mom)
Well you pretty much resumed what i didn't know but make me fell uneasy about this ep.5
and besides Doumyoji feelings and lines.. we have too makino feelings
1) i can't believe that he really like me (She really believe only after he kiss her and tell that loves her)
2) Is good to be with Doumyoji but I really like hanazawa rui still....
( and after the beach that she feel like "I didn't want to hurt him")
3) I can believe that after all that i said ( that he didn't give space to her) He still here for me.. ( please don't die)
4)I don't know how.. or when did he become so important to me
For me was every thing so fast.. that i feel like was missing something...
but like i said before..
When i wacthed again.. make sense.. and worked well...
^__^
As I said before, I had the same mixed feelings about this episode. This episode 05, although I ended up liking it, was definitely the worst one until now. I won´t say why I´m still a bit dissapointed with this episode, cause slippyepic just said everything I was feeling. But you know, my brother and my friend watched this episode and they didn´t fell the same way as I did. They said it wasn´t so fast, it wasn´t strange neither... just a bit cheesy :lol Note they didn´t read the manga.
I think that what made us so dissapointed is the fact that we´re HYD manga´s readers. If I didn´t read it before, I wouldn´t say "Where´s the 'I believe you' part; where is all those interactions between Tsukasa and Tsukushi; etc.", because I wouldn´t know all these parts, I wouldn´t know nothing, actually. I would probably be satisfied about this 5th episode as my brother and my friend did.
So I guess this episode was good to non-manga readers, and it was a so-so (or a bad) episode to manga readers.
I really hope they won´t do anything worse in these last 4 episodes. I´m not having too much expectations about this 6th episode cause I don´t wanna be dissapointed as I was with this 5th one. Probably because I think there are a lot of parts way better than this double-date/zoo date thing.

Eria

Post by Eria » Nov 23rd, '05, 03:56

it should be very obvious by now that this dorama is nothing like the manga. I too, felt that something was missing when i saw ep 1. i b*tched and whined about how it's nothing like the manga and the anime. but when i saw ep 2, i got over it and just accepted the fact that it is different; it is fast.

but i still don't get why a lot of people would still compare it to the manga and anime after 5 episodes already when you know from day one that there have been a lot of changes. trust me, i had to b*tch at people shoving their opinions at me on the 1st episode because i relied on the manga and anime. but with people whining about how it's not like this or that on the 5th episode, wasn't it obvious enough? already? i mean, give me another reason why it sucked but not because of that. surely, everyone got over it (or so i thought). i suggest you get over it too. with only 4 episodes left, i think there's a lot of room for changes, if you know what i mean.

slippyepic

Post by slippyepic » Nov 23rd, '05, 06:10

I think that what made us so dissapointed is the fact that we´re HYD manga´s readers. If I didn´t read it before, I wouldn´t say "Where´s the 'I believe you' part; where is all those interactions between Tsukasa and Tsukushi; etc.", because I wouldn´t know all these parts, I wouldn´t know nothing, actually. I would probably be satisfied about this 5th episode as my brother and my friend did.
For the most part, I think this adaptation has been somewhere between very, very good to brilliant. At the heart of each HYD stories is really a struggle about a girl trying to fit into her world, and whether sense or sensibility should rule her course of action. THIS version has decided to tell a more satirical, gothic-ish tale, and through the first 4 episodes I think it's hit everything out of the park. In fact, to me, there's various bits in this J-drama that is better than the matching manga, since the drama is allowed to keep to certain themes. Both Domyoji and Makino's issues are a lot more articulate and psychologically grounded in this version of the story.

For me, it isn't that crucial that an adaptation sticks to the letter of the law, so long as it's able to tell a coherent story and hopefully a unique or deeper interpretation of the source material. For example, I think the new Pride and Prejudice is absolutely brilliant, really one of the most stunning period adaptations I've seen in years, but at the time, you can tell the director clearly didn't take up this novel at high school or university. This isn't merely a revisionist adaptation, it's a bravely oblivious reading that essentially turns Austen into Bronte. The very real fears of poverty, familial dependency, and basic loneliness as a spinster, all the stuff understood in her time but implied by the text, just rubs into nearly everything in that adaptation. Maybe not right in the details, but true and revealing of the spirit.

HYD J-drama has a similar effect through its performances. Inoue was a fan of the manga/MG, and this is immediately apparent in the density of her emotional and comi reactions toward both Rui and Donmyoji and her very light reading of the dialogue. It doesn't really matter what differences the adaptation takes, because she has little doubt how her Makino should react or what she is trying to resolve in her head. Her psychology is storyboarded to the wazzoo. At the same time, Jun was largely oblivious of the manga and probably didn't watch MG either, and that shows too. *His* performance has taken chances; even us manga/anime fans don't know what the heck he's going to do next. Instead of giving us an arrogant Donymoji with frat-boy hauteur, we got a unhappy, violent, grumpy man-child.
I like this balance of familiar Makino and a more Byronic Donmyoji. The relatonship still plays true and more realistically. And still very funny. But, most of all, we're seeing that this crazy social world, the same one that keeps trying to rub Makino out, also made Donmyoji the mishapen character he is. Their bond is a social abomination, bu it is necessary to their sanity. That message, which prevails through much of the manga, probably couldn't been done in a more faithful adaptation, time frame without this particular spin. And they're just very entertaining to watch . . . when they actually get scenes solely together.
Really, a lot of my issues with the 5th episode pretty much revolve around direction and editing. Problems with tone and such. It probably doesn't help that last w/end, I watched Takashi Mike's really disturbing Audition and kept on associating Sakurako to the female heroine in that movie. Basically, you could take the same scenes and if they'd resequenced it, so that the heavy and the light weren't intercut so much and that the time frame was shorter, Sakurako's performance wouldn't have seemed so wacked out. Really the only episode where I thought the narrative seemed disjointed, if not outright sloppy.
Last edited by slippyepic on Nov 23rd, '05, 06:38, edited 2 times in total.

Ginjarou

Post by Ginjarou » Nov 23rd, '05, 06:15

i want english sub for ep 5 hyd *sobs*

slippyepic

Post by slippyepic » Nov 23rd, '05, 06:23

Subtitles? Have you checked the first page of the subs thread?

zdoon
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by zdoon » Nov 23rd, '05, 11:05

after 5 episodes, i'd have to say that so far HYD has been a mediocre show where banal things happen in an incidental way and then move on. well, hopefully it improves but the show's already half over...

i haven't seen meteor garden or read the manga.

littlemissfab

Post by littlemissfab » Nov 23rd, '05, 11:21

on my end of the spectrum, i have never read the manga, nor watched the film adaptation.. but i watched all episodes of the taiwanese version...

it really makes me wonder if the production costs were too much that they only had to make HanaDan 9 episodes. The producers/network should have known that HanaDan has a built-in audience. Sucky direction/editing/acting or not, people will still watch it.

Oh well.. the network execs have a greater plan.. I wonder what it is though.

Or pardon my ignorance with the way Japanese Networks function. But isn't it usually that doramas go from 10-12 episodes? This is the first that I have heard of. So I might be spewing nonsense. hehehe..

But going back to my opening statement, the Taiwanese drama took longer. You really saw how the relationship between Dao Ming Zhi and Shan Cai (counterparts of Doumyoji and Makino in Taiwan) through the episodes.

Again, even if they rush it.. We're still going to watch it..

Omigod.. I'm talking like Doumyoji in ep.05. REM sleep? Ram? Goat meat?

This is what you get.. typing at 225am.. i better catch some zzzs before work..

oyasumi minna-san!

chckboy5

Post by chckboy5 » Nov 23rd, '05, 11:30

anyone know or have that instrumental song they always play?

slippyepic

Post by slippyepic » Nov 23rd, '05, 18:58

it really makes me wonder if the production costs were too much that they only had to make HanaDan 9 episodes. The producers/network should have known that HanaDan has a built-in audience. Sucky direction/editing/acting or not, people will still watch it.
I've read that the show was a late substitution in the season for another show. Heck I didn't even know about it until AFTER the 1st episode aired. I think it got a late start, and it didn't get the preseason promotion that it probably would have gotten. In terms of limited time, I think we should see the strain right about now, since they'll probably try to combine the Mom and Beach story arcs. Good luck fitting ALL that into 4 episodes. :)
I'll probably pick up MG after this show, but I'm afraid that already watching Mars will kinda mess with my perception.

shiruchan

Post by shiruchan » Nov 23rd, '05, 21:53

Eria wrote:it should be very obvious by now that this dorama is nothing like the manga. I too, felt that something was missing when i saw ep 1. i b*tched and whined about how it's nothing like the manga and the anime. but when i saw ep 2, i got over it and just accepted the fact that it is different; it is fast.

but i still don't get why a lot of people would still compare it to the manga and anime after 5 episodes already when you know from day one that there have been a lot of changes. trust me, i had to b*tch at people shoving their opinions at me on the 1st episode because i relied on the manga and anime. but with people whining about how it's not like this or that on the 5th episode, wasn't it obvious enough? already? i mean, give me another reason why it sucked but not because of that. surely, everyone got over it (or so i thought). i suggest you get over it too. with only 4 episodes left, i think there's a lot of room for changes, if you know what i mean.
Eria, I´m not telling I don´t like HYD. Of course it´s pretty obvious they won´t show everything of manga, they don´t have time enough to do it. I´m loving this series, and I know pretty much this version is going to be different. It´s just I´m kinda dissapointed with some things they showed, and some they didn´t. I´m not complaining at all, I´m just saying my opinon about what they should have showed - parts I think that are more important than some they showed, that´s all.

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Nov 23rd, '05, 22:20

I know by saying this.. it's like I'm dreaming.. but I have this hidden wish that maybe they should break it apart and just produce two seasons.. I know it'll cost soo much and all, but I really just can't get enough of HYD. I know I have 5 more episodes to watch [haven't watched the 5th b/c I'm waiting for the hardsubbed] and from the looks of it, many people are dissappointed with the 5th episode. Yes that I believe part was someting that I was looking forward too, but don't let that mess up the whole drama for you.

Yeah, and like Eria said, it's pretty obvious that being it's only goingh to be 9 episodes, a whole lot of parts will be cut off. However, it would be nice if they included some more important scenes rather than some of the ones they showed. I'm not complaining, just suggesting! It definitely will be interesting in the following episodes about how they can fit all that's left in such a minimal time frame.

I completely love HYD [manga/anime/drama and all]! I think there was just too much pressure on Japan to produce their own HYD drama that it put a strain on the producers to try to out do MG, using all the materials that they have. Nevertheless, with or without some of the scenes that I'm in favor of, this drama still deserves a two thumbs up. It's great and the cast are incredible!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 23rd, '05, 22:26

Just one thing: I don't think people are complaining that there is not enough in 9 episodes. People are baiscally dissatisfied with having all in all only 9 episodes. Sure, they made the best out of it considering they have only little time. But then again, why being in such a hurry anyway? Like hmm_yeh (Hoi Pinay!) already pointed out: There could've been 2 seasons instead. That's what I personally hoped for all along myself.

angelic_poring

Post by angelic_poring » Nov 23rd, '05, 22:32

Eria: i see what you mean about how we shouldn't compare and stuff.. but.. just the fact that it's called hyd, that they use the same character names... that it is an adaptation of the manga/anime in the first place, already makes it subject to comparison. If the drama were called a completely different thing.. if they didn't try to follow the manga, then i really wouldn't care.. but since it is an adaptation.. i do expect it to include the essentials of the original.

slippyepic

Post by slippyepic » Nov 23rd, '05, 22:53

GTO is kind of my standard for manga -> drama adaptations. And in that adaptation, boy did they mess around with the storyline and Onizuka character. But, that drama improved on the manga by mantaining the essence and message of that story.

So far, I think this drama has a good job at that too. Or to put it another way -- I'm glad they didn't screw up. ;)

If there is a potential problem with the J-drama, it's that Komio's story gets much better (more complex, more moving, funnier) through vol 18. Therefore, the challenge for the 2nd half of HYD J-drama is much higher than the 1st half. Unfortuanately, that's the opposite of most J--dramas, which often start well, but peter out toward the end. To the show's credit, it looks like they've been prepping the Mom arc since the beginning of the show.
Last edited by slippyepic on Nov 23rd, '05, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 23rd, '05, 23:07

I never said it's likely to happen, I said this was what I wished for since the whole 9 episode limit has been really bumming me the whole time.
Like angelic_poring said, the title is Hana yori Dango, so they should at least respect the original story in some degree. For example I really did enjoy watching the 5th episode. But mostly because it didn't remind me of Hanadan anymore. This was nothing like Hana yori Dango in the least which is why I was eventually able to enjoy it. (No clue, if it makes much sense to you.)
Plot-wise they've created a great work but as regards the realization of the manga they totally failed.
Like you said earlier, the whole story just isn't the same without Doumyouji fully trusting Tsukushi. Although we might understand his reaction in the drama, as it looks like his mother has arranged it all, there's just some crucial part missing that makes Hanadan so special for me. Doumyouji's unconditional love and trust IS Hanadan. Or in other words it makes it. Cause without it everything would take a totally different course.

Edit: Hey, what's that? You rewrote your whole post? Now what am I responding to anyway? Want people to think I'm crazy, talking to myself or something? :cussing:
(I don't wanna do researches anymore. Anybody wants to write my essay so that I can hang around here a bit more? *sigh*)

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Nov 23rd, '05, 23:18

Same here [hoi babae! haha].. I only wished there'd be 2 seasons... b/c they'll be able to fit more, but hey that's really unlikely to happen. I also started to watch HYD for what it is, though there are some differences, I still see some ties with the manga, for instance the whole main plot.. [tsukushi falls in love with rui, tsukasa shows his love in his own unique way, which gets tsukushi to fall in love with him], I'm sure it's still there. My main point is that there are differences in how Japan adapted the original HYD, but come on. Just sit back.. and watch it. Relish each episode b/c you have got to hand it to them, even if the characters names are different, you will still compare it to HYD to some degree.. but in the end, you'll still watch it b/c you'll end up liking it. [gawhh .. did I make sense there?!] :scratch:

slippyepic

Post by slippyepic » Nov 23rd, '05, 23:31

Although we might understand his reaction in the drama, as it looks like his mother has arranged it all, there's just some crucial part missing that makes Hanadan so special for me. Doumyouji's unconditional love and trust IS Hanadan.
I'm ambivalent about that, but again I think it's probably my own wacky interpretation of the story. :)

I tend to see Hanadan (at least the first half of Hanadan) as Makino's resistance toward love, rather than Dounymoji's ardor. She can't completely give in to either Rui or Dounmyoji, because she knows it would be a utterly hostile situation for a girl of that social standing and in that viper, hyper-narcissistic world. And she can't completely resolve her feelings because Rui and Dounymoji are both products and projections of that world; they don't alway seem quite real to her. Her romantic compass is constantly scrambled by the chaos of being out of her own league. Komio keeps us to her perspective, but I never doubt that she is also playing a little devil's advocate too by mantaining Makino's virulent status among the wasps.

In that respect, at least for me, I think the adaptation (even the wacky horror shtick of Episode 5) has mostly nailed it. But, as you noted, I'm not too keen on how Episode 5 has rather fundamentally changed the nature of Dounymoji's affections for Makino. But, for me, because this interpretation of Dounmyoji's basic psyche/character is such a good spin on the basic story (and IMO is valid if HYD is treated as social satire), that I like how this romance will evolve. The manga Dounmyoji's love was every bit as self-absorbed as this drama. Manga Dounmyoji wanted to consume Makino, and he seemed to lose her problems in the process. J-drama Dounmyoji wants to be saved by Makino, but he seems to understand just how far a girl of her standing must go.
Relish each episode b/c you have got to hand it to them, even if the characters names are different, you will still compare it to HYD to some degree.. but in the end, you'll still watch it b/c you'll end up liking it. [gawhh .. did I make sense there?!]
It's cool. All of us are coming to the show with different perspectives and expectations. Because I'm a guy watching "a young girl's story", the letter and the law of the romance (and of course the fangirl response) isn't as important to me. (Though, again, the change in Donmyoji's feelings in Episode 5 gives me pause.) I've been bloody entertained and really, I'm ecstastic at the quality of this show.

I guess I'm trying to take a middle ground with this discussion, and discussing what I love and value about HYD -- drama, manga, MG, whatever -- and go with that.
Last edited by slippyepic on Nov 23rd, '05, 23:38, edited 1 time in total.

angelic_poring

Post by angelic_poring » Nov 23rd, '05, 23:32

slippyepic: GTO is kind of my standard for manga -> drama adaptations
ahh!! exactly my thoughts!! i loved gto, i loved everything about it.. altho at first, the ppl they chose for certain characters had to take some getting used to.. but the storyline
and the gto's character totally made up for it!!!(i love his character so much more in da drama) ^_^ i actually like the drama better than the actual manga/anime itself, which i find is pretty rare, since usually originals are, in my opinion, always better... ahhh someone thinks the same as i do! *is excited*

funkay

question

Post by funkay » Nov 23rd, '05, 23:35

Hello:] I wanted to know how I can watch the doramas. Thank you.

slippyepic

Post by slippyepic » Nov 23rd, '05, 23:40

If you have Bittorent, just do a search under the Torrent section. Look for the SARS versions of HYD.

slippyepic

Post by slippyepic » Nov 23rd, '05, 23:43

Kat

Sorry about that. I sometimes rework my posts a little due to my crap grammar, or if somebody did a followup to a previous thread before I posted the message.
(I don't wanna do researches anymore. Anybody wants to write my essay so that I can hang around here a bit more? *sigh*)
Film student? :)

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 23rd, '05, 23:52

slippyepic wrote: [I tend to see Hanadan (at least the first half of Hanadan) as Makino's resistance toward love, rather than Dounymoji's ardor. She can't completely give in to either Rui or Dounmyoji, because she knows it would be a utterly hostile situation for a girl of that social standing and in that viper, hyper-narcissistic world.
Well you cut one important sentence that I wrote: That it decides the course of the story. (You tend to ignore that time and time again, huh? ^^)
However, I disagree. Tsukushi's resistance isn't what makes the story. It's more like the fun stuff in it. Like having the boy in a shoujo manga being hit by the girl. I think Hana yori Dango belongs to a certain class of manga that aims to show a specific type of girl: pure, innocent, dense in love matters,... Therefore it just has to be like she resists whenever he tries to kiss her or something. Otherwhise the whole story about the maiden role model wouldn't work out at all. We have them going out for almost the half of the series. Where's there the resistance? We also have her going back and forth about dating other guys (Amon, Kin-san, to a certain degree even Junpei). These are all things that just occur in a storyline that is held together by Doumyouji's stubborn attempts of winning over Tsukushi's heart.
As I pointed out earlier I'm not saying he's the main character though. Look, if Hanadan was an estate, Tsukushi would be the house whereas Doumyouji would be the fundament... Plainly spoken... Uh...
Last edited by Kathleen on Nov 24th, '05, 00:01, edited 1 time in total.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 23rd, '05, 23:56

slippyepic wrote:Kat

Sorry about that. I sometimes rework my posts a little due to my crap grammar, or if somebody did a followup to a previous thread before I posted the message.
Film student? :)
Nah, I was just kidding! It did confuse me a lot at first, though! Lol. Oh, and btw, when did I get that weird nickname that everyone uses for me recently? I don't like it, it sounds too much like "cat". Keep in mind I seriously dislike cats. hehehe. Please spare another h and I'm fine with it: Kath.

Oh and no... Japanese Arts. I do need to do researches and watch two movies for my film study class, though. (Ever watched Some like it hot? *raises an eyebrow*)

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Nov 24th, '05, 00:18

slippyepic wrote:
I tend to see Hanadan (at least the first half of Hanadan) as Makino's resistance toward love, rather than Dounymoji's ardor. She can't completely give in to either Rui or Dounmyoji, because she knows it would be a utterly hostile situation for a girl of that social standing and in that viper, hyper-narcissistic world. And she can't completely resolve her feelings because Rui and Dounymoji are both products and projections of that world; they don't alway seem quite real to her. Her romantic compass is constantly scrambled by the chaos of being out of her own league.

The manga Dounmyoji's love was every bit as self-absorbed as this drama. Manga Dounmyoji wanted to consume Makino, and he seemed to lose her problems in the process. J-drama Dounmyoji wants to be saved by Makino, but he seems to understand just how far a girl of her standing must go.

It's cool. All of us are coming to the show with different perspectives and expectations. Because I'm a guy watching "a young girl's story", the letter and the law of the romance (and of course the fangirl response) isn't as important to me. (Though, again, the change in Donmyoji's feelings in Episode 5 gives me pause.)
Hmm.. like you said, people are coming at this with different perspectives and I should definitely respect that. However, I saw Hanadan in a slightly different way.. In the manga, Tsukushi doesn't quite keep her distance from love, or should I put it this way, Tsukushi didn't exactly resist love. She actually acknowledged her feelings for Rui, whereas she forced herself to be oblivious to Tsukasa feelings towards her. Her feelings for Rui, had he not gone off to France, leads me to believe that if Rui had stayed behind and acknowledged Tsukushi's feelings to begin with, perhaps she would have gone along with it, different social backgrounds being there or not. [Keep in mind, she ended up going on a date with him in the latter events] Since that's not how it happened.. I believe that Tsukushi's mindset on different social backgrounds and resistance to love began when Tsukasa started to show a hint of what he feels for Tsukushi. Which of course made the whole story even more interesting.

As for the whole trust issue between Tsukasa and Tsukushi, in the manga and in the drama.. I'd have to keep mum about that b/c I've yet to watch episode 5. But from what I've read in both yours and Kathleen's response, the trust and mistrust issue takes a turn in this episode, where it is likely to affect the way the romance sparks. As for Domyouji's love, the difference in that is what the drama chose to take a slight detour from the manga. Perhaps, in showing Domyouji's understanding of how far a girl of Makino's social standing can go, it would make it easier for the drama to show their love and thus the ending [the events leading to the ending of the manga].

Perhaps, I'm just too stubborn with my views. Just b/c I disagree with what some people are saying does not necessarily mean that I believe what I think is right. I'm sure there's room for rights and wrongs here in regards to the differences between the manga and the drama.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 24th, '05, 00:50

Very well spoken, Pinay. :lol
My theory about the changes in episode 5: It was only in episode 1 and 2 when Rui would save Tsukushi from a similar situation to the one she's finding herself in all of a sudden in ep 5. If Doumyouji would have rescued her from that like he did in the manga / anime there'd be no contrast or difference to what Rui had done before. Since there's more space between those happenings in the manga it doesn't really matter and the reader can still fully appreciate Doumyouji saving her from the others. But as the majority of spectateurs of the drama probably clearly remembers Rui's actions from 3 weeks ago they had to come up with something bigger and greater so that really everyone questions at least once who's the better match for Tsukushi eventually.
But as slippy pointed out before, it was kind of dumb to make Sakurako spell it out for him that she was the cause of it all.

slippyepic

Post by slippyepic » Nov 24th, '05, 01:40

That it decides the course of the story. (You tend to ignore that time and time again, huh? ^^)
Not sure what you mean by me ignoring. But you're right about the course of action in the story, especially after the Dounymoji twist on Episode 5.
Like having the boy in a shoujo manga being hit by the girl. I think Hana yori Dango belongs to a certain class of manga that aims to show a specific type of girl: pure, innocent, dense in love matters,...
Sure, that's a standard device in shoujo; especially the HYD manga is a flip of the popular shonen/seinen harem genre. Putting a common girl in a fantastical setting seems on par with, say, K-dramas, but here the difference is it's made to show a mostly averserial relationship between her and that world. But, the story also revolves around the "candy before boys" premise, which is should Makino be practical about her situation (i.e. an outsider) or should she completely follow through with her heart.
A lot of Makino's emotions are actually mixed in with her isolation. She falls for Rui, because Rui, bailing her out early in the story, is to her is a unattainable ideal of this world, even though in truth, he's rather a cool, indifferent boy of privilege. Her Rui doesn't exist, but she needs it to find her strength.

Her feelings toward Dounmyoji are complex in the sense that, even indirectly, he brings with him that adversial relationship between her and his world. She's used as a pawn by Sakurako and Junpei. Dounmyoji's mother seems cruel and Shigeru seems obsessive, but each characters represents the status quo of Dounmyoji's world, the former being the law, and the latter being his place's continuation. In all of these situations, Dounymoji really isn't her source of strength or faith; sure, he loves her but his love suffocates her because he doesn't really empathize with her. And how could he? Even when he stopped being her enemy, he still brought the storm.

Thus, through the first half of the manga, she resists. She has to make it or be crushed. When she finally accepts his love and their essential sameness, it's also because she's finally strong enough to have that relationship with him. But only then.

Hmm . . . this kinda sounds like Buffy and Spike . . . :D
But from what I've read in both yours and Kathleen's response, the trust and mistrust issue takes a turn in this episode, where it is likely to affect the way the romance sparks.
Let's it put this way. I really, really liked the sequence at the end of that episode. It made all the, uhm, Psychorako bits worth it. If you're a Jun fan, you'll LOVE it.
But I just thought it left out a crucial test of their relationship. I loved that, at that point in the manga, Makino, couldn't fight back the tide anymore. She NEEDED Dounymoji, through all the crap they've been through, to believe her, to make that jump of faith, even though all good sense would be to not. The "I trust you" bit is one of my favorite things in the manga, because the trust is a strong part of why Makino eventually falls in love with Doumyoji. It's one thing to ask someone to want you; it's another when you just want them to believe you, to recognize your integrity and worthiness as a friend. It's an admission of love when the usual words aren't appropriate.

We know powerful, fist-y Doumyoji could protect Makino. But we didn't know Doumyoji could show, as Kathleen says, the pure, honest, unyielding kind of love he finally gives her there. It redeemed Doumyoji to me after the almost-rape, and at least, it beautifully sets up when Makino did seriously hurt Doumyoji by choosing HIS best friend. He doesn't understand Makino yet, but at least he recognizes her difference from the fake, selfish people around him.
As for Domyouji's love, the difference in that is what the drama chose to take a slight detour from the manga. Perhaps, in showing Domyouji's understanding of how far a girl of Makino's social standing can go, it would make it easier for the drama to show their love and thus the ending [the events leading to the ending of the manga].
I hope the Mom arc is meant to do that. Plus, it should be also the storyline that shows Makino how really miserably he was living in that diamond cage. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how they can fit double date, the DD"s consequences, AND the "I Will Go to Hell for You" story arc in 4 bloody episodes.
Part of me kinda hopes Makino ends up with Rui, though. Then they'd HAVE to do 2nd season to pacify the rage of Hana Yori Dango Nation. If I hear a German woman screaming . . . ;)
Perhaps, I'm just too stubborn with my views. Just b/c I disagree with what some people are saying does not necessarily mean that I believe what I think is right. I'm sure there's room for rights and wrongs here in regards to the differences between the manga and the drama.
It's all good. I love the show; I hope most people here do. :) Really we're all just killing time until the next bloody episode. Fate, up against your will. Through the thick and thin, he will wait until you give yourself to him
Last edited by slippyepic on Nov 24th, '05, 02:00, edited 3 times in total.

Eria

Post by Eria » Nov 24th, '05, 01:43

@chckboy5... Harry Potter theme.

to: ALL... yeah, yeah. we all want this and that in this episode. well, the bottom line is, it wasn't/won't be there. it wasn't there in the 1st, the 2nd, the 3rd, the 4th, especially in the 5th. guess what? it won't be there in the next 4 episodes either. so just get over it and pick up meteor garden. simple solution.

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 24th, '05, 02:15

slippyepic wrote:
Not sure what you mean by me ignoring.
Hahaha, I was only saying that you leave out certain parts of what I'm saying and it gets a totally different meaning and I'm like: Grmpf, this is not what I mean! Lol.

Hm, to respond to your post: I don't really think she likes Rui for something that he isn't. In fact I thought so at the beginning of the series. This is why I was never too fond of his presence. I didn't like the fact she falls for a guy that practically couldn't care less for her, only because he's the one that comes the cloest to being sane of all students at Eitoku. And I'm not even saying he's perfectly normal. Who'd be so desintierested in other people getting beaten up anyway?
However later on he really does reveal his caring and loving sides. But well, compared to the others he might have seemed like some knight in shining armor. Under normal circumstances if anything she'd probably just admitted his good looks and his charisma. I agree with you on that point.
But this was still the beginning of the series when Kamio-sensei herself didn't know where the story will lead to. Later in the story everything that happens is always connected to Doumyouji and Doumyouji's love for Tsukushi. Even when she supposedly feels suffocated by him, she says that in a moment when he's about to beat up someone. This was the only way to stop him. Well either this or confessing her love. But she probably didn't really have any fuzzy feelings in this right moment. ^^;
I think many lines cannot be taken as examples without considering the context.
That aside we see how miserable she feels once Doumyouji is not there anymore. When she got the second red tag she was a wrack.
After they broke up she sees herself like a doll that laughs when it's supposed to laugh and moves when it's supposed to move, without having any feelings and any desire to live.
Much later she even says it was only thanks to Doumyouji that she has become so strong.
A lot of Makino's emotions are actually mixed in with her isolation. She falls for Rui, because Rui, bailing her out early in the story, is to her is a unattainable ideal of this world, even though in truth, he's rather a cool, indifferent boy of privilege. Her Rui doesn't exist, but she needs it to find her strength.

Exactly my point. That's, only for the very first part of the story.
I just don't see any problem with Shigeru. She's a really good friend and much of a support to Tsukushi:
#30 when she thanks Shigeru for helping her and Doumyouji,
#27 when Shigeru leaves the room for Doumyouji after Tsukushi had fainted,
#25 (?) when Shigeru tells her she loves her and Tsukushi is happy to have friends like her that make her feel stronger in hard times.
And how could he? Even when he stopped being her enemy, he still brought the storm.
Well that's true though. But I got the feeling she kind of needs this kind of fights as she seems somewhat lifeless without them. (remember when they are at shigeru's summer house the day after he supposedly slept with shigeru? she even missed their fights.)
Ahh, honestly I could talk to you for hours. It's so much fun to discuss with you. ^_^ But I need to go to bed sometime. ;_;
Talk to you soon!

hmm_yeh

Post by hmm_yeh » Nov 24th, '05, 02:41

Actually, I DO have Meteor Garden.. both of them as a matter of fact. But if you had been reading [which I doubt you have b/c we are.. shall we say .. "complaining".. no that's not the right word.. "Discussing" our views.. there you go.] I, previously said that I love love .. more emphasis on LOVE .. anything that has to do with HYD. Therefore, it means.. I love the manga. I love the anime. I love Meteor Garden [even the 2nd season, though it drifted off from the original]. And.. I can say this with confidence. I LOVE Hana Yori Dango[Jdrama]. --- which means, there is no solution. I'm content, I just like to speak my mind.

True I want this and that to be showed in the Japan Drama. True there's nothing I can do if they don't show it. But you can't say what they will and what they won't show, unless you've already seen the whole series. [which btw.. have you?! if so you're lucky]. Okay I'm pretty much detering from my main point. which is.. I am content with what will come about in the next following episodes. I won't b*tch or whine about anything. From this point on.. whatever I do say, it's just my opinion. And everyone is entitled to their opinion. Finally, I can fully understand your annoyance with what has been discussed in the last.. say 2 or 3 hours?! But let us voice what we want to. That's about it.. and like slippery said .. we're simply trying to kill time until the next episode comes out!

Hey fellow pinay! G'yea! Very good point! [funny how I'm talking about something when I have no reference --haven't seen 5th epi., but using what I know from the manga--] Whatever Tsukasa did in epi 5 [btw, I have a very good idea of what has happened, I'm picturing it now, thanx to your descriptions! (no sarcasm there btw :P )] is something that had to be done in order to make, like you said, the audience think twice about who's more suitable for Tsukushi. Geez.. I'm excited, can you feel the same excitement?! Hehe.. sorry..

Oh and .. Happy Thanksgiving everyone! :D

slippyepic

Post by slippyepic » Nov 24th, '05, 03:08

However later on he really does reveal his caring and loving sides. But well, compared to the others he might have seemed like some knight in shining armor. Under normal circumstances if anything she'd probably just admitted his good looks and his charisma. I agree with you on that point.
Yeah, that's my point of view too. As you said, Kamio hadn't decided who she wanted for Makino. Good that we agree on something! Hmm . . .actually, it's kinda like the Yuki vs. Kyo storyline for Furuba / Fruit Basket. I was rooting for the wrong one . . .
I don't think that the F4 or Doumyouji in particular wasn't capable of it before but she simply didn't want them to help her out since they were the cause of her loneliness in the first place. I think many lines cannot be taken as examples without considering the context.
Right, but that is indeed the context that I'm speaking about. The F4 were the cause of her loneliness, or at least they were the device that her too-rich world used to isolate her. Makino was a popular girl in her old school. whereas here she mostly couldn't afford friends here.
totally agree. That's, only for the very first part of the story.
I just don't see any problem with Shigeru. She's a really good friend and much of a support to Tsukushi: #30 when she thanks Shigeru for helping her and Doumyouji,
#27 when Shigeru leaves the room for Doumyouji after Tsukushi had fainted,
#25 (?) when Shigeru tells her she loves her and Tsukushi is happy to have friends like her that make her feel stronger in hard times.
I was actually ambivalent about this part of the storyline; I think Kamio took into a uncomfortable dark direction, which upset the tone of the overall storyline.
Like many manga, she presents the "perfect" girl for Dounmyoji, and in HYD, the tension is equally doubled up, because Makino still hadn't made up her mind about Dounmyoji. And, I sometimes felt Shigeru's temperament was rather like Makino's, had Makino been in socially acceptable position. Or, to put it another way, Shigeru was a creation of the world,THEIR version of a socially acceptable "Makino" to snag Dounmyoji away and to punish Makino for her diffidence.
That said, Shigeru was my favorite character in the whole story. I adored her. IF they wanted to do a 2nd season, Shigeru -- a Shigeru true to the manga, that is -- would be the first thing on my want list.
(remember when they are at shigeru's summer house the day after he supposedly slept with shigeru? she even missed their fights.)
I won't say Doumyoji lost faith in Makino, and his feelings were still strong as ever. But, for the first time, he rightfully thought she was being completely unfair by the way she STILL wouldn't make up her mind. She didn't love Rui. She could trust Doumyoji. She knew Rui didn't really love Shigeru. And she was sort of duplicit with Shigeru in the beginning of their friendship, and for no real good reason. Why did she still run away?

I kinda think Komio was in a holding pattern with Makino, probably still thinking through how she wanted their proper romantic relationship to fly. But, I also think it's also true tha Makino was actually thinking through that Shigeru, this feisty, affectionate, socially acceptable person, would be a better fit with Doumyoji. She was basically saying "She's better than me! Your mom and your world will accept you. I'm no good for you Douymoji! Now you can leave me alone! Now I don't have to deal with your mom/rivals/exes/sycophants anymore." She thought her common sense won over her sensibility, but she was just rationalizing the last roadblock, her class-oriented, socially inflected sense of inferiority. But that storyline did show Makino, if she didn't make up her mind, somebody was going to get hurt anyway.
Ahh, honestly I could talk to you for hours. It's so much fun to discuss with you
Likewise, and really I do see your side of the discussion. I think, especially after Episode 5, we agree on a lot of things.
Geez.. I'm excited, can you feel the same excitement?! Hehe.. sorry..
I'm interested in what epi 5 does for you. It's certainly different from the manga. Psychorako certainly leaves an impression. ;)

Tomi

Post by Tomi » Nov 24th, '05, 04:49

*gasp!* I finally got to see the first episode and from the beginning I have fallen in love. This might actually beat out MARS as my favorite Live Action but Ive only seen the first episode so it is hard to judge. I never saw the Taiwanese version so I have no comparison. All I have to say is Tsukushi is my hero.

chckboy5

Post by chckboy5 » Nov 24th, '05, 11:26

Eria wrote:@chckboy5... Harry Potter theme.
whats the song called?

makino_sanbr

Post by makino_sanbr » Nov 24th, '05, 13:27

First - Harry Potter's song isn't Edwiges theme?

Well.. To kill time to next ep..
I have some questions about stars and the Saturn necklace..
I was talk with a friend and seem Tsukasa and makino are always looking to sky and have some connections with the stars.
But more.. seem like Tsukasa has some hobby with stars puzzles
They are gonna put this 2 things together?
I didn't understand.. did his mother say something about give to him puzzles to entertain him?
Well this show how lonely he is.. because be alone in home doing stars puzzles is pretty sad..
Well i was just asking myself how they gonna put all this together...
I'm pretty much anxious how they will gonna led from now on...
I'm so happy that tomorrow is already Friday!! I love Fridays :wub:
\o\
/o/
\o/

ebony

Post by ebony » Nov 24th, '05, 15:53

I have never really watched a japenese drama so this is my first one and i am totally hooked, i absouletly love it. I have watched Meteor Garden and i see the similarity's but Hana Yori Dango is completly different, ive never seen the manga so i can't really comment on whether it matches the manga all i can go is meteor garden, i loved meteor garden but i also love hana yori dango i am completly addicted to it and can't wait for the week to go fast for the next episode. I live in the uk so i can only wait for the kind souls who put it up on d-addicts so fast as soon as it airs. So a really great big thankyou :-)
i can't believe that its nearly the end of the week.

funkay

question

Post by funkay » Nov 24th, '05, 18:32

Hey:]Thank you for the reply, but what I meant was do I have to have a special program like DivX to watch it.Because it doesn't work for me. If you can help please reply, thank you.

Lowest

Re: question

Post by Lowest » Nov 24th, '05, 21:49

funkay wrote:Hey:]Thank you for the reply, but what I meant was do I have to have a special program like DivX to watch it.Because it doesn't work for me. If you can help please reply, thank you.
Download Gspot drag the file into it and it'll tell you if you have the codec, if not search for it and download it.

Also try VIDEO / TORRENT / Subtitle FAQ - Read This Before You Post!

redsea

Post by redsea » Nov 24th, '05, 22:21

I was talk with a friend and seem Tsukasa and makino are always looking to sky and have some connections with the stars.
But more.. seem like Tsukasa has some hobby with stars puzzles
They are gonna put this 2 things together?
I didn't understand.. did his mother say something about give to him puzzles to entertain him?
Well this show how lonely he is.. because be alone in home doing stars puzzles is pretty sad..
Well i was just asking myself how they gonna put all this together...
Yeah, I have the same question about the puzzle thing. I really enjoy this series. Acting is good, especially Makino and Tsukasa characters. Rui (if Im not wrong) is a little bit not as cool as I expect....anyways, can't wait for next ep. The way Tsukasa fall in love is so cute, funny, faithfull, unconditional and childish :lol I would fall for i guy that can love me that way haha

shiruchan

Post by shiruchan » Nov 24th, '05, 23:12

Kathleen wrote:Very well spoken, Pinay. :lol
My theory about the changes in episode 5: It was only in episode 1 and 2 when Rui would save Tsukushi from a similar situation to the one she's finding herself in all of a sudden in ep 5. If Doumyouji would have rescued her from that like he did in the manga / anime there'd be no contrast or difference to what Rui had done before. Since there's more space between those happenings in the manga it doesn't really matter and the reader can still fully appreciate Doumyouji saving her from the others. But as the majority of spectateurs of the drama probably clearly remembers Rui's actions from 3 weeks ago they had to come up with something bigger and greater so that really everyone questions at least once who's the better match for Tsukushi eventually.
But as slippy pointed out before, it was kind of dumb to make Sakurako spell it out for him that she was the cause of it all.
That´s what I think too, Kat! We agree on so many things, don´t we?
But about Sakurako, I just think it would a bit strange if Doumyouji suddenly decided to believe Tsukushi, since he was quite shocked and see you were "betrayed" is really one thing that makes you lose your mind. So, I think it wasn´t so dumb at all when Sakurako spelled it out for Doumyouji. :D

hmm_yeh, agree with you too. We´re not here "complaining" about Hanadan, we´re just discussing, exchanging some ideas. Hanadan won´t be a perfect drama, cause even manga wasn´t perfect at all. Although I´m a huge fan of manga, I disliked some parts of it, with this drama won´t be different. BUT, I´m really enjoying this drama, I´m really loving it - and a lot, but I just wanna express my opinions about it. And that´s just it.

fybabe

Post by fybabe » Nov 25th, '05, 05:33

trailer for ep 6!!!
looks really interesting haha!!

http://s29.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=314I ... GCOEAVZFGL

ying64

Post by ying64 » Nov 25th, '05, 05:36

You know the Harry Potter -like song that's always played? Can any1 upload it for me? Its sounds so cool and mysterious ^^~

CarolL

Post by CarolL » Nov 25th, '05, 06:19

fybabe wrote:trailer for ep 6!!!
looks really interesting haha!!

http://s29.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=314I ... GCOEAVZFGL
thanks fybabe. This coming ep. will be so interesting. Can't wait!! :wub: I still can't get the fact:
that Rui is back and if Makino went to him instead of Tsukasa,
I will hate her even more because of what happened between them in Ep.5.

But, in MG when she went after Rui I didn't hate her at all. Maybe because of the:
trust scene happened too early in HYD
I believe that she shouldn't go with Rui at all in this version of HYD.

chckboy5

Post by chckboy5 » Nov 25th, '05, 11:16

id like to know where i can get the instrumental song that suppose to be from harry potter?

tourmania

Post by tourmania » Nov 25th, '05, 22:14

Uploaded Episode 6 in my clubbox. :wub:

http://clubbox.co.kr/tourmania
Last edited by tourmania on Nov 26th, '05, 02:40, edited 1 time in total.

tlina069
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by tlina069 » Nov 25th, '05, 22:42

I am just amazed at how awesome the cinematography and production value of this series! It's almost like they are making movies instead of tv series. The quality of every shot blows my mind!! If only Taiwanese tv series can follow this level of production, they can probably finally stand out. This is the first Jdrama I watched since Ordinary People (and that's like what...8 years ago? Maybe longer...). This one adapted the manga slightly differently compared to its Taiwanese version. That's okay. I am just glad that the lead actor playing Doumyouji has way better acting skill than Jerry Yan (no offense to Jerry's fans). The dude playing Soujiroh looks so....YOUNG! Like he's 15 or something! That is crazy. Anyhoo...might comment again later once I watch ep. 6. :)

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » Nov 25th, '05, 22:49

Last edited by Nomanymore on Nov 25th, '05, 23:48, edited 1 time in total.

pyre

Post by pyre » Nov 25th, '05, 22:55

This is going to sound silly, but is there a poster at all of this series?

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » Nov 25th, '05, 23:49

Hana Yori Dango Eps 06

http://down.clubbox.co.kr/Nomanymore/wapi4

just fixed the link hihi

non-angelical

Post by non-angelical » Nov 26th, '05, 01:44

LOVE eps.6 !!!
I already can't wait for the next episode.

angelic_poring

Post by angelic_poring » Nov 26th, '05, 02:15

this ep is okay.. nothing really seemed to stand out tho..
some little thigns were really cute.. like when tsukasa pretended to be annoyed when makino called him for the double date.. it's his way of denying he's actually thrilled that she called him.. that's the way doumyouji is, he pretends not to care but he really does.. but like i said.. nothing *really* attracted my attention.. hmm except that fur thing he wore to the double date.. that sorta bugged me :P oh.. and when doumyouji's mom smiled.. (evilly of course) seemed weird @_@ cuz she actually smiled, she never smiles in da manga, but that's just a random thought. btw, doumyouji's mom seems to be acting a bit slow.. i mean yea she does go and try to bribe makino and try to get her to stop going out with him, but she doesn't seem as intimidating.. like she didn't humiliate her (well, i guess u can call bribing her humilating? but it wuzn't the same as making her play piano in front of a whole bunch of guests at doumyouji's b-day party... she didn't slap tsukasa either when he was talking back to her, (not that i want him to be slapped) but being tsukasa's mother, i thought she would, i wuz actually anticipating it.. but she actually sat there and smiled.. which i found wuz a bit weird.. i guess i need subtitles to understand more... Also, the relationship between tsukasa and tsukushi, to me, seems to be progressing at a slower pace, it's a good thing i guess, since the whole betrayal thing with rui happened only at the last minute of the episode.. (but aww.. there wuzn't that part where they went to okinawa ^_^ i liked that part.. with him hugging her.. and tsukushi, (always underestimating him -_-) thought that he wanted to sleep with her and stuff, wuz funni and sweet ^_^) there's only 9 eps.. so can't really blame them, i'm just a bit sad that they left that out) anyway.. let's see wut happens in da next episode!!

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 26th, '05, 03:14

Wow, this episode sure was a surprise. Never thought I'd actually say this about the J-version but it was really boring to me.
I'm totally of angelic_poring's opinion, nothing really happened.
If it wasn't for the last 2 minutes of the episode I'd say this was a so unnesessary filler episode. But in the end everything seems to make sense. You can see why Makino actually does give in to being with Rui eventually. She doesn't really seem to feel all that attracted to him at that time though. As for Rui... Wow! I really liked him at the beginning of the drama (though I didn't care much about him in the beginning of the manga / anime at all) but now I think he's an **** big time. Whereas in the manga / anime Tsukushi really was a great friend to him and comforted him so he felt less lonely around her and wanted to be near her, she didn't do much in the drama that gives him the right to lose it like that. It really bugs me.
However, I was actually waiting for the Rui / Tsukushi thing to start but it seems they'll stretch it closer to the end of the series.
Oh yeah, I almost forgot that misunderstanding about sharing the same room and everything. That wasn't only funny but really cute, too. But I'm actually glad they decided to cut that part. The whole Okinawa thing is so heart wretching, I don't have any good feelings when I think of it because first thing that pops up in my mind is Doumyouji's sad face when he finds Tsukushi and Rui at the beach. ;_;
Also agreeing with angelic_poring regarding Doumyouji's mom. She smiles so beautifully when she sees Tsubaki. Kind of strange considering her first appearance in the drama was totally different. Furthermore I think she's more of a sadist in the drama. She seems to enjoy torturing people and making fun of their pain (no matter if they are her own children) whereas the manga Kaede was more like a two fisted business woman, totally unscrupulous and lacking of any warmth. Even though I really hate Kaede in the manga I can somewhat rather comprehend her actions than those of the manga Kaede. She doesn't primarily seem to be a business woman but a ****. :glare:
And lastly again agreeing with angelic_poring regarding the clothes. YUCK! Tsukushi's jacket on the date really didn't suit her at all. Rui's white jacket seems too large, and what's with those elf shoes? I don't even need to mention Doumyouji's ugly collar on the date. I wonder how they let him in to the zoo with that dead animal on. And heck, why a zoo in the first place? The only good thing about that part in the manga was that even though Doumyouji never wanted to go there as he hates animals he was being nice to that little kid. (I'm getting kind of irritated for some reason...)
Scarily enough I noticed I have the same shoes Nakatsuka (Yuuki's boyfriend) wears. Mine are red and white though. But still... In an episode that beats all former episodes in bad taste of clothing I must find something I have myself. T_T
@Nomanymore: Thank you very much for sharing! Unfortunately I couldn't download from your clubbox as your first link didn't work (you mentioned it yourself in your later post), so I got the episode from somewhere else this time. Next time I'm up for it! :D
Last edited by Kathleen on Nov 26th, '05, 11:46, edited 3 times in total.

inaho

Post by inaho » Nov 26th, '05, 03:54

Ohayo Minna-san

I've been dying to see hana yori dango---->the japanese adaptation finally its here, yata!!! :lol .

I started browsing certain hana yori dango sites to check if they really are following the manga itself then I happen to enter in one site which says that their gonna be airing 9 episodes only (the tv series) :cry:

Is this true? :crazy:

I mean how can they fit the 32 volume manga to 9 episodes probably not right?!

do you have any ideas on how many eps would it be cause it will be just too damn bad if its only 9 :cry:

whisperss_57

Post by whisperss_57 » Nov 26th, '05, 04:10

its 9. and # 6 came out today. i'd say its going pretty good so far.. but its missing a bunch of stuff.. but in a whole stil amazing.. watch eps 6!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ^__^

sunmoon

Post by sunmoon » Nov 26th, '05, 05:29

lol the whole black friday thing kept my mind away today and i totally forgot that ep 6 was coming out hehe... i heard sm of u say its quite boring eh? hmm ep 5 was kinda boring to me... anyway imma go watch it now :D or maybe i should wait till subs come out cuz its always better w subs ^^

fybabe

Post by fybabe » Nov 26th, '05, 06:32

i love ep 6!!!
so happening!
for sure like much, much ,much better than cheesy ep 5...haha
funny, and baka and full of conflicts and unusual twists!
great!

and although rui may not be exactly like the original rui but still he adds to the conflict and enriches the plot!
cool!

dom is like the funniest in this ep or what?
even when i don't fully understand the japanese but i lmao just by watching his facial expressions... suggoi!!
i mean it's interesting to see dom change within one ep... well done, jun!

non-angelical

Post by non-angelical » Nov 26th, '05, 09:08

well, for me eps 6 is as entertaining as the previous episodes.

i love
to see doumyouji suddenly sit straight up when he received the phone call. I know right away where it's from :lol And when he's laughing at the whole double date idea. Soooo...like him. Denying that it actually makes him fly
oh but yes i HATE
those fur-y thing Doumyouji got to wear on their double date. :crazy:
and i also support to all the comments on how the actress plays the role of doumyouji's mother. She doesn't seem to get the 'feel' for it
but don't you think it's kinda cute when
Doumyouji and Makino chatted during the date? And how weird is the term kawaii for doumyouji (a lizard doll??? I went cracking on that scene)
And oh,
the way doumyouji stands by the door on the staircase when he saw Makino and Hanazawa Rui hugs. I could feel his feeling, mad and sad, being betrayed.
I LOVE that scene!!!

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » Nov 26th, '05, 11:16

I enjoyed this Eps too , akaka without idea wat they're talking about , akakak just wait for the sub, just some westion
Why Rui is come back so suddenly ? anything happens with Kizuna ?? What did he say to Makino on the emergency stair ??
about the double date , why does Tsukasa get mad on that boy ? hein ? can't get it ,
The end scene , kyaaa , wat are Makino and Rui talking about , kyaaa , wan't wait for the sub LOL

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 26th, '05, 12:09

I think ep 6 was the cheesy one, which is basically why I don't like it as much as some others. I'm not a fan of such love-dovey episodes to tell you the truth. Some scenes like that are okay but a whole episode was more like eye candy than a story as it kind of lacks of both a plot and a climax.
Well, you could say the climax was like the last few secons of the episode (which is the only scene where I really got interested in what was to come next). This I must say they have made excellently. I understand why Tsukushi hugs Rui back, and Jun's acting when finding the two of them is simply great. Disappointed with Rui as a chara though.

unkei

Post by unkei » Nov 26th, '05, 13:01

i really liked episode 6, but i think it's really vital that people actually understood the dialogue to understand the episode, so before the subs come up here are some transcripts~ they're not very good...they're done with my mix of mediocre chinese and japanese knowledge (i used chinese subs to help me). i felt SO sorry for tsukasa at the by the end of ep 6~~ T_____T

rui and tsukushi first scene at emergency staircase
when she gives back the hanky~
makino(m): here
rui(r): oh...this
*flashback* r: aren't you a bit wet?
r: can it be the one i gave you that time?
m: sorry it took me so long to return it
r: you've kept it all this time?
m: you seem a bit different
r: really?
m: did something happen with shizuka in france...?
r: makino
m: yes?
r: why don't you date me?
m: yes...EH??!
*intro song...*
kaede (k): what's this about?
tsukasa (t): i'm going to school
k: answer my question
t: have you ever given up on work to care about your children?
k: unfortunately, compared to you i actually care about the company
t: so what does me dating makino have anything to do with your company?

r: are you really dating tsukasa?
m: no...that's just what he says by himself
r: i thought so. actually, i've always noticed you
r: are you unsatisfied with me?
m: no...
r: stop going out with tsukasa. date me.

t: i like makino tsukushi
t: do you have a problem with that, oh-mighty-chairperson of the doumyohji company?
k: if you're just playing around you can do whatever you want
t: hah?
k: if you're just playing with that commoner's daughter, you can do whatever you want
t: i'm not playing around!
t: UNFORTUNATELY, i've never believed that i was brought up by someone who plays with emotions like you.

r: hahaha...it's just a joke
m: eh?
r: tsukasa's my friend. it won't be good to do something like that.
r: you didn't think i was being serious?
m: you're the worst...
r: are? can it be that you're disappointed?
m: not really!
r: then let's date secretly
m: eh? HUAHAHAHA
m: that was a joke wasn't it? how interesting~
m: well, i've returned your hanky to you...that's all
r: you know...you've become cuter than before, makino
between tsukasa and makino at the zoo looking at the lake~
t: but you know, having a date like this, it finally seems like we're a couple
m: you know...about this...
t: don't worry, i haven't misunderstood anything
t: even though i said we were dating in front of rui, i haven't really asked you about what you were thinking
t: but...the fact that i like you is true. i will wait for you to make your decision.
t: mah~ you'll definitely regret it if you reject someone as perfect as me. an escaped fish is swimming around (=____= stupid tsukasa...).
between tsukasa and nakatsuka after restroom break
n: domyouji-kun~ wait a sec. just now, a girl i know just contacted me. let's go together
t: huh?
n: i told her i'm with a really cool guy. she wants to meet you, how annoying is that?
n: ah, i think doumyouji-kun's head isn't too strong?

yuki: where did they go?
m: hmm...they're a bit slow...

n: really, even though it seems like i'm dating yuuki, it feels really insignificant (what bimyou literally means --> i guess he actually means 'boring)
t: i have no interest in what you say
n: don't try to be so cool, let's go pick up chicks together
n: really, isn't your girl pretty insignificant as well?
t: makino is insignificant...?
n: i'll introduce good girls for you
*punch*
n: what the hell are you doing?!
t: what is so insignificant about makino you arsehole?!
t: (i'm not quite sure what he said here...i think it's another stupid tsukasa phrase)
m: wait what are you doing?!
y: are you ok?
t: i've reached my limit. i'm going home! *to yuuki* you should go out with someone more serious than him.
m: wait a second
t: MAKINO. if this is your idea of a commoner's date, i won't ever come on one again.
y: what did you do to doumyouji-san?
n: i didn't do anything! what's with that guy? i just put my hand on his shoulder that's all~
m: just your hand on his shoulder...?
n: that's right. there's something wrong with his brain.
y: nakatsuka-kun!
n: i took out time just for your guys, you know?! why the hell did i have to get bashed?
m: sorry, i'm really sorry
y: wait where are you going?
n: i'm going home. i'm not dating you anymore~!
m: i'm sorry, yuuki
y: it's not your fault, tsukushi. nakatsuka-kun must have done something. doumyouji-san wouldn't hit him for no reason.
m: the recent him wouldn't do something like that...
(i'm not quite sure what yuuki says after this...)
last scene at the cafeteria~
t: what did you want to say?
m: i can't accept this kind of half-hearted attitude of yours. can you explain properly what happened between you and nakatsuka-kun yesterday?
t: you know actually, this~ didn't you say you left it at home?
m: why is it there?
t: that's what i should be asking you
m: that doesn't really matter. first answer my question
t: doesn't matter...?
m: tell me the reason you hit nakatsuka-kun?
t: i don't want to tell
m: you hit someone without a reason?
t: i was pissed off so i hit him. that's all there is to it.
m: what's with that?! i guess you are that kind of a person after all, ruining other people's happiness and not caring at all.
t: so you understand? isn't that great?
t: what the hell are you doing?!
m: i was pissed off so i hit you
t: you know...
m: you should be able to know the difference between the right and wrong thing to do. yuuki is really upset all because of you!
t: she should be thanking me (he used ore-sama, which actually means "my worthy self" or something)
m: are you an idiot? i guess you haven't changed at all...using red notices to bully people, you're really a terrible person!! you're the worst kind of human!!
t: what was that?
m: i don't want to see your face anymore!
t: oi wait!
m: and you know, your mother came to my house yesterday
t: eh?
m: she brought a whole lot of money, and told me to give you up
m: tell your mother that i have nothing to do with you anymore. she doesn't have to worry.

m: doumyouji is an IDIIIIIIIOT!!!
m: i actually believed him a little...i'm an idiot too.
r: i heard you guys had a fight yesterday
m: no it wasn't a fight it wasn't anything. i have nothing to do with him anymore
r: i see
m: he's really the worst...
m: wait...
r: what with me? i seem to have started to like you after all this time.
r: one minute is enough, just let me hold you.
m: did something happen?
r: sorry. just let me stay like this.

t: i see. so this is what it's all about?
Last edited by unkei on Nov 26th, '05, 13:10, edited 1 time in total.

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Nov 26th, '05, 13:04

inaho wrote:Ohayo Minna-san

I've been dying to see hana yori dango---->the japanese adaptation finally its here, yata!!! :lol .

I started browsing certain hana yori dango sites to check if they really are following the manga itself then I happen to enter in one site which says that their gonna be airing 9 episodes only (the tv series) :cry:

Is this true? :crazy:

I mean how can they fit the 32 volume manga to 9 episodes probably not right?!

do you have any ideas on how many eps would it be cause it will be just too damn bad if its only 9 :cry:
Well it does deviate a bit from the manga, but overall it sticks to the storyline, so I think you will like it. So far I love it, even if it does cut down parts to fit it into 9 eps. But then again, knowing jdramas tendency to slow down a lot towards the end, I'll reserve my full opinion until the drama's over. Anyway, give it a try. :thumright:

fybabe

Post by fybabe » Nov 26th, '05, 13:22

hmm... i didnt feel cheesy at all about this ep..
it's a full on ep that invoke lots of feelings from me.
from lmao to like cringing heart broken...

anyway, i just watched it with chinese subs and it's so much funnier!
and the parts where dom felt hurt, was like worse for me too... coz makino really said things that broke his heart...
rui was probably looking out for someone to fill the hole in his heart after his break up in paris - this i guess, from ep 6.
coz at the staircase, the first time, he asks makino, jokingly, to dump dom for him... or, date secretly... :cussing:
the second time when he hugs her, he was wondering why he wasn't attracted to her in the past. :scratch:

just to explain the zoo double date:
while waiting for yuki and her bf, makino got dom to agree not to lose his temper.
so when she saw dom bashing that guy, she got mad...
and that horrible guy actually provoked dom alot personally during the whole date but dom kept his temper. but when that guy insulted makino's looks and suggested to introduce other prettier girls to dom, dom hit him.
yay! and he told that ass that makino's look is the most special in the world... sweet...

when those 2 girls rush over, dom wants makino to leave with him, and he told yuki to find another guy... this pisses makino off, of course.
and dom went on to tell makino that he'll never go on this sort of 'commoners' date' ever again. and left. so started the whole misunderstanding coz yuki's bf was bad mouthing dom...

and during the date, dom actually said alot of sweet things to makino... aww... that he will wait for her to sort out her feelings, etc...

later, when makino confronted dom at the cafeteria, dom was already pissed off that makino lied to him about being alone that night where she lost her phone.
m: tell me the reason for hitting that guy
d: i don't wanna say
m: don't you have a reason to beat him?
d: i just don't like the look of this guy! that's it!
m: what's this?! so, you're just like what i thought, you don't give a damn about bashing up the happiness of others!
d: oh? so they've split up (yuki and bf)? that's good!
SLAP!!!
d: what are you doing?!
m: coz i don't like the look of you!
d: hey...
m: even when you're mad, there are certain things that you should and shouldn't do! because of your fault, yuki is hurt!
d: she'll thank me one day...
m: are you an idiot? you've never changed at all... the red notes, bullying others... you're the worst! the pits of the human race!
d: what are you saying?
m: i don't ever wanna see you again! never!
d: hey! hold on!
m: and, yesterday, your mom came to my home. she wanted to give me alot of money to leave you... please tell your mother... that i have nothing to do with you anymore... please tell her not to worry...

poooooor dom.... i was so heart broken for him, coz he never really tried to defend himself...
oops... unkei, didn't notice you did translations too...^^

unkei

Post by unkei » Nov 26th, '05, 14:38

@fybabe: totally cool ^^ which chinese subs do you use? because i think the ones i have always have inaccuracies although they're rare. i rewatched the last scene between tsukasa and tsukushi and realised your translation
d: oh? so they've split up (yuki and bf)? that's good!
is the correct one hehe ^^''

Nomanymore

Post by Nomanymore » Nov 26th, '05, 15:44

oaaaa XD thank you guy for the translation , :D

poor dom , everything is just not going well for him ; and Rui , still wondering why is he doing this kind of thing ???

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 26th, '05, 16:31

hmm_yeh wrote:Hey fellow pinay! G'yea! Very good point!
Whatever Tsukasa did in epi 5 [btw, I have a very good idea of what has happened, I'm picturing it now, thanx to your descriptions! (no sarcasm there btw :P )] is something that had to be done in order to make, like you said, the audience think twice about who's more suitable for Tsukushi. Geez..
Oi pinay! :D Did you watch the 5th episode already? If so, I'd like to know if you're still of the same opinion. I've never seen so many people being of divited opinions as in this episode I think. Well the 6th episode might come pretty close to it though.
Oh btw, a friend will be taking off to the Fillies tomorrow. I've still gotta ask her if there's a Hanadan hype right now. Hehehe.
shiruchan wrote: That´s what I think too, Kat! We agree on so many things, don´t we?
But about Sakurako, I just think it would a bit strange if Doumyouji suddenly decided to believe Tsukushi, since he was quite shocked and see you were "betrayed" is really one thing that makes you lose your mind. So, I think it wasn´t so dumb at all when Sakurako spelled it out for Doumyouji. :D
Too many things, it's scary! :lol
You're right about Sakurako. It would be really strange indeed. As I said it worked out perfectly in the drama. It's not what I expected or wanted but it all makes sense as it is. As for me, a betrayal is like the worst thing anyone can do to the one he or she cares for which is why I might be overly jealous myself. Ohhh I had some bad, reeeeally bad fights over the silliest things simply out of jealousy, so I DEFINITELY understand Doumyouji. ^^;;
slippyepic wrote: Yeah, that's my point of view too. As you said, Kamio hadn't decided who she wanted for Makino. Good that we agree on something!
Oh, I think we agreed on many things before. ^_~
I don't think that the F4 or Doumyouji in particular wasn't capable of it before but she simply didn't want them to help her out since they were the cause of her loneliness in the first place. I think many lines cannot be taken as examples without considering the context.
Right, but that is indeed the context that I'm speaking about. The F4 were the cause of her loneliness, or at least they were the device that her too-rich world used to isolate her. Makino was a popular girl in her old school. whereas here she mostly couldn't afford friends here.
Aw, you might have noticed I deleted this part right away. It seemed so wrong somehow. I really do have my problems explaining my point in English. Grr... Well, what I actually wanted to say is that it's more due to Tsukushi's pride that she's always running away from Doumyouji. She loves him but she hates him at the same time (which I really understand sometimes as he can really be a jerk), and that makes things rather complicated. On the one hand she knows she can trust him and rely on him but on the other hand she doesn't want to admit it to herself as she was once challenged to a fight and challenged him back herself, so giving in to accepting his love would be like losing the game. That's what I think.
In this particular case (referring to Junpei) it wasn't exactly like she was looking for A friend but for making friends with her classmates, thus having a relaxed school life like Yuuki has. Even though she probably got used to the people at Eitoku she still wishes for classmates she feels at ease with. She does have a friend in Kazuya after all, and she sort of has in Sakurako. So it wasn't like Junpei was her saviour out of loniless or anything. I remember when he asked her to be friends she even said something like: "This is not exactly what I wanted." In other words she really only wished for some silly girl friends whom she can chat with before class or something. Hence Doumyouji could have been oh so great, he could've never given her what she longed for as he's not a girl. :mrgreen:
I was actually ambivalent about this part of the storyline; I think Kamio took into a uncomfortable dark direction, which upset the tone of the overall storyline.
Like many manga, she presents the "perfect" girl for Dounmyoji, and in HYD, the tension is equally doubled up, because Makino still hadn't made up her mind about Dounmyoji. And, I sometimes felt Shigeru's temperament was rather like Makino's, had Makino been in socially acceptable position. Or, to put it another way, Shigeru was a creation of the world,THEIR version of a socially acceptable "Makino" to snag Dounmyoji away and to punish Makino for her diffidence.
I think you're taking things too seriously. The golden rule in analyzing a story is to first analyze if it's worth being analyzed at all, so to say. :mrgreen: Hana yori Dango is just a long continuation Shoujo Manga with no such deep meaning to it, I think. I'm sure Kamio-sensei wanted to depict various, very important things such as Doumyouji's "hungry love" as you called it earlier, that turned into obsession, also the class differences and bullying at school. But each of it all is only like a puzzle piece of an image that I BET Kamio-sensei didn't have a clue of what it looks like before she came close to finish the manga. Such supporting characters as Junpei and Kin-san were only to keep the story going.
But of course I perfectly agree with you in one point - Shigeru is like an upper-class version of Tsukushi. I don't think though that she had to be like that so that Tsukushi eventually made up her mind. It was only because they are alike that Doumyouji agreed to date her. If she wasn't as cheeky and independent and strong, he'd probably never even considered talking to her again. And well... Don't you think it's pretty much true that people always want what they can't get? With Shigeru's appearance, Tsukushi had to consider losing him for the first time, so it had to be that Shigeru and Doumyouji have some sort of relationship.
That said, Shigeru was my favorite character in the whole story. I adored her. IF they wanted to do a 2nd season, Shigeru -- a Shigeru true to the manga, that is -- would be the first thing on my want list.
Oh yeah. That's what I hope for. :wub: I also feel kind of sorry with her because more than anyone she seems to long for love. Even though she seems to have rather warm and loving parents she appears kind of lonely to me but still she's always smiling and wishing the best for her friends. She really is adorable.
(remember when they are at shigeru's summer house the day after he supposedly slept with shigeru? she even missed their fights.)
I won't say Doumyoji lost faith in Makino, and his feelings were still strong as ever. But, for the first time, he rightfully thought she was being completely unfair by the way she STILL wouldn't make up her mind. She didn't love Rui. She could trust Doumyoji. She knew Rui didn't really love Shigeru. And she was sort of duplicit with Shigeru in the beginning of their friendship, and for no real good reason. Why did she still run away?
That's not what I was saying. I said she missed their fights, thus she doesn't long for comfort or peace but for HIM, just the way he is.
That aside I do think she had a reason to dislike Shigeru. It's only natural for human beings to be like that in situations like that, isn't it? ^^;;

Btw, you previously asked me if I was a film student. Since I'm always in a hurry when reading and responding to posts I kind of seemed to have misunderstood you, I guess. However, to answer your question, I'm a media studies major which also has many referrences to film studies. It was only yesterday when I had a "DOGMA 95" seminar the WHOLE day. My head still feels kind of numb. ^^;;

Philmein

Post by Philmein » Nov 26th, '05, 20:43

Holy crap, you write alot...^^^ lol...

Kathleen

Post by Kathleen » Nov 26th, '05, 20:51

Philmein wrote:Holy crap, you write alot...^^^ lol...
"Holy crap" - that's what I thought when I wrote this. Lol. Well there was a lot to respond to after all. :salut:
(And I didn't even respond to everything. Sorry!!!)

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Nov 26th, '05, 21:27

I been watching Hana Yori Dango and I after flying through the last 10 pages of the thread. I am pretty interested in where you guys actually get the chinese subs at. Oh btw, i am chinese.

Esp. unke and fybabe had both mentioned the chinese subs are better in someway. Can any of you direct me to a site?

alright stop with the asking, i am going to talk about the series. for me, i haven't been MG or any animes that's relevant to this series. So everything is fresh to me :D. The personality of Rui, Doumoyi, main girl and Makino somewhat resembles part of everybody's personality in a way. I am not sure if it applies for all. but at least me. 8)

chckboy5

Post by chckboy5 » Nov 27th, '05, 00:25

sorry i wasnt talkin about the harry potter instrumental, whats the other instrumental they always play?

usyagitntn

Post by usyagitntn » Nov 27th, '05, 00:49

Thank you you guys so much for translating :D . I watched ep 6 raw so I did not understand much. All I could do was sitting there guessing what was really going on, but I love this ep. I don't think that it's cheesy at all. The last few minutes was great .I can't wait 'til next week to see ep 7 :w00t:
I really feel sorry for Doumyouji. I liked Rui so much in the first eps but now I don't like him at all. How can he do that to Makino and Doumyouji, his best friend ( referring to the last scene, I still don't understand :scratch: ). She just had a fight with Doumyouji and now he is confessing his love to her. I don't think it's right at all, she needs someone to comfort her in moments like that, she was kinda emotionally "vulnerable" at that stage so she would easily accept his confession of love. Makino has always liked Rui but I think that if he confesses his love some other time Makino would be thinking about the relationship that she's having with Doumyouji before she accepting or refusing him. I think it's like cheating his best friend. :glare: . And the clothing in this ep was terrible especially the jackets that Makino and Doumyouji were wearing on their double date :crazy:
** edited: my reply contained spoilers but I forgot to hide it, my bad, thank pwner4once for reminding me of that :-) , and I was actually praying that the sub will somehow pop up on my screen when I was watching ep 6 raw :lol. Can't wait for the sub!!
Last edited by usyagitntn on Nov 27th, '05, 03:13, edited 1 time in total.

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Nov 27th, '05, 01:33

hey hey
come on now!!! don't leak infos to us :lol :lol
it's kind awesome how u can sit through and watch the raws without lusting for translation. :blink I hope the subbers will take their time and release it soon! :D :D after reading usyagitntn, my worms got all excited :P :P

CarolL

Post by CarolL » Nov 27th, '05, 02:01

Nomanymore wrote:oaaaa XD thank you guy for the translation , :D

poor dom , everything is just not going well for him ; and Rui , still wondering why is he doing this kind of thing ???
Rui is in denial now because of what happened in Paris with Shizuka.

CarolL

Post by CarolL » Nov 27th, '05, 02:11

pwner4once wrote:I been watching Hana Yori Dango and I after flying through the last 10 pages of the thread. I am pretty interested in where you guys actually get the chinese subs at. Oh btw, i am chinese.

Esp. unke and fybabe had both mentioned the chinese subs are better in someway. Can any of you direct me to a site?
Here is Nomanymore's clubbox, she has Ep.6 Chinese sub uploaded already.

http://clubbox.co.kr/Nomanymore

usyagitntn

Post by usyagitntn » Nov 27th, '05, 05:23

tianj has just uploaded another special about HYD a "top scene trivia". You can find it at http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25382. A srt file was attatched in the first post but it's in Korean :cry: . Can someone please please translate this special into English? It seems really interesting!! Thanks in advance! :-)

SDlai

Hana Yori Dango=Meteor Garden

Post by SDlai » Nov 27th, '05, 14:23

Is Hana Yori Dango the japanese version of Meteor Garden?
I heard from my cousin that the Hana Yori Dango manga was based on the show Meteor Garden. :unsure:

CarolL

Re: Hana Yori Dango=Meteor Garden

Post by CarolL » Nov 27th, '05, 14:50

SDlai wrote:Is Hana Yori Dango the japanese version of Meteor Garden?
I heard from my cousin that the Hana Yori Dango manga was based on the show Meteor Garden. :unsure:
Meteor garden came out in 2001 and HYD manga came out in the 90's, so now is the answer to your question. Most majority of the Taiwanese dramas are based upon Japanese manga. I think there are some Taiwanese comic books, but they shouldn't be call manga. "Manga" is the Japanese term for comic.

***The creator of Meteor Garden has gotten copyrights from the HYD manga's author to make their own drama in 2001.
Last edited by CarolL on Nov 27th, '05, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.

st_heaven

Re: Hana Yori Dango=Meteor Garden

Post by st_heaven » Nov 27th, '05, 14:50

SDlai wrote:Is Hana Yori Dango the japanese version of Meteor Garden?
Nope, your cousin got it wrong. Meteor Garden was based on the manga, Hana Yori Dango. The jdrama Hana Yori Dango is also based on the same manga.

[edit]
CarolL, you're fast!!! you beat me to it! :lol