Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

[Discussion] Hana Yori Dango (Meteor Garden Manga) jdrama

Discuss Japanese drama series here.

How would you rate Hana Yori Dango?

Life-Altering (5)
341
42%
See it (4)
328
40%
Probably shouldn't miss it (3)
56
7%
Probably shouldn't miss it (3)
56
7%
Only if you have time (2)
26
3%
STAY AWAY (1)
12
1%
 
Total votes: 819

sillypanda114
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 45
Joined: Jan 4th, '05, 00:47

Post by sillypanda114 » Nov 5th, '05, 21:56

oh my gosh... oguri shun and matsumoto jun in the same drama again. :) i really want to see itt.

CrAcKaJaP206
Posts: 18
Joined: Sep 15th, '05, 21:36
Location: NorCal

Post by CrAcKaJaP206 » Nov 5th, '05, 22:57

Best line in Ep 3

"Hammmingu-yay da! "Hammmingu-yay?" *snicker* Honnwo yome, honnwo!"

Image

I watched it about 3 times b4 i continued, that **** was too funny!

moonlit
Posts: 46
Joined: Oct 9th, '05, 06:05
Location: Canada

Post by moonlit » Nov 6th, '05, 04:19

Kathleen wrote:
I like her acting but somehow she isn't really Tsukushi like yet.
She's still too girlish and weak. Somehow it always seems like she cannot fight on her own and always depends on Rui's help (or on Doumyouji's as soon as Rui is gone). She sure lacks of the weed power that Tsukushi brings, she easily gets shy, she lets others call her various names and do terrible things to her without fighting back and the list goes on. Again, I'm not blaming her. It's probably what the producer wants since in the drama Tsukushi doesn't really have the family background that makes her the tough, hard working weed she has become in the manga.
hmmm..I don't think she is that girlish and weak. She doesn't always have to kick butt in every scene to be strong. Although I get what you're saying about how she doesn't retaliate immediately when attacked (like by those three girls); I found it odd that she didnt' fight back. But then again, in the last episode where the three girls poured drinks over her head, she was probably too upset about Rui and Shizuka at the moment. And about her being shy, wasn't Tsukushi pretty shy around guys in the manga as well?

Oh and I really would've liked the little "you stole my first kiss, how could you!!" scene that should've followed after the end of the 2nd episode. It could've been so cute, but I guess they really couldn't spend time on that.

User avatar
usyagitntn
Posts: 83
Joined: Aug 29th, '05, 18:14

Post by usyagitntn » Nov 6th, '05, 04:40

I love this series. Tha manga was great. I think this version (the japanese version) is better than the taiwanese version. Please don't kill me F4 fan :P . The F4 in this version is sooooo cool! The cast is great 8) . I'm still waiting for the sub of ep 3, so i'm watching it raw now. But I still can guess a little bit of what is going on :lol . I'm really looking for the up-coming eps :wub: :w00t:

User avatar
makino_sanbr
Posts: 219
Joined: Aug 6th, '04, 02:10
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Post by makino_sanbr » Nov 6th, '05, 05:19

Kathleen wrote:I decided the scene that contained Rui, Tsukushi and Doumyouji at different places and with the theme song in the background it my favorite of all scenes I've seen so far from the drama. Very emotional indeed. ^^ I like the other scenes you listed too but the one I just mentioned is the best of all in my opinion. :
Yep... i liked that so much too ...
but my favorite is
tsukasa waiting on the rain :wub:
If they decide to expand the whole love triangle thing it will be even less.


I hope that they not do this!!!!
I really waiting to see
the "I believe you" scene!!!! Has to be :cry:
Btw, funny enough when the episode started I thought exactly the same you did. For different reasons though.
I think that is too much tension... to see .. i was about to cry on the first scene.. :whistling:
Actually there is a major difference. Doumyouji in the drama
Doumyouji in the manga / anime
yep! I really remember .. but what i was trying to say
Even that is a different ,for me Tsukasa is someone that would care that way about a dear friend... even with his pride...
I didn't get any weird feelings...
But my friend said that Tsukasa would never cry...
well i really don't know
I LOVE his outfit. Especially his cap. It's SO much Doumyouji like. I always liked Doumyouji wearing such caps anyway, so when I saw Jun with the cap I was like: Wooow... Doumyouji is back! *_*


Nhaaaaa *__*
Now every time i see that out fit.. i can't help to think that is more adorable...
I like her acting but somehow she isn't really Tsukushi like yet.She's still too girlish and weak.


I agree with you ..
that Tsukushi is more soft on Drama, but i don't think that is because the actress...
I really like her "What the hell" face... ^_^
But i wish Tsukushi would be more strong too
And fight back...
And yes, I really need to study, too. Luckily enough the essay I have to write is about Japanese arts, so this is at least related. Watching Hanadan in order to see Nishikado doing the tea ceremony as some kind of researches. :mrgreen
well my work is about art... but nothing to do with Japan... more arts history and its methods... Panofsky have nothing to do with Hanadan...
that's why i should be less addict...
:unsure: [/quote]

User avatar
Emi801
Posts: 79
Joined: Feb 17th, '04, 06:48
Location: SF Bay Area
Contact:

Post by Emi801 » Nov 6th, '05, 06:44

Aaah, I am really enjoying this series~~ Episode 3 was the best yet. Jun got to express more of the awkward/adorable side to Doumyouji, yay! I can't wait for the next episode!

As for that thing with the apple.... that was very odd. For some reason it reminded me of the end to the anime series ^_^;;

vtsukasa_ryujin
Posts: 13
Joined: Oct 18th, '05, 19:56

Post by vtsukasa_ryujin » Nov 6th, '05, 09:15

o my god~ i have been having fun waiting and watching this series every single week~ ah episode 3~ tsubaki first appeared with a Ferrari~~ did i spell that correctly~ o my god~~ a Ferrari~~ anywayz..that's not the main point~~ i cant wait till ep. 4 but then i dun wanna see though freaking angry scenes that are probably gonna happen.......... dun wanna be a spoiler so i will stop my conversation~ jun~~ ah~~ totally falling for him now~~~ :crazy:

User avatar
babai
Posts: 74
Joined: Dec 26th, '04, 10:49

Post by babai » Nov 6th, '05, 09:28

This is quickly becoming my most favorite series ever! - beating out all the dramas I've seen - Korean, Japanese or Chinese. :D

gingin
Posts: 26
Joined: May 16th, '05, 13:56

Post by gingin » Nov 6th, '05, 12:38

Jun was great in this ep. And I applaud him sincerely ^_^ I definately want Rui to come back soon, just enough so that Tsukushi's feelings start swaying and make for lovely plot and conflict.

The things I loved have been stated and stated for many times so I won't repeat them here save one.
Not many people mentioned the emergency staircase scene, but I think all three did excellent there. All their looks in their eyes were right on.
About Tsubaki and Tsukushi

I haven't read the manga but Tsubaki did seem tough to me. Tough underneath a more sweet exterior. The kick 'n punch scenes were a nice indicator for this of course, but also the really agressive driving and kind of camouflaged "Don't get in my way" attitude.
I actually found her very interesting.
Tsukushi is not just tough, but also a girl in love, which is enough to make anyone a bit less secure. I don't think she needs to collide fists with people that much, or shout back to show that she's a tough lady. But that's just my opinion.

Things that could've been a bit better imo

I find Rui's lines to be so..mellow...it did get better in this ep, but somehow they don't give me enough insight to get a better picture of him. I would'n mind to see/hear lines that were a bit more of a challenge for Shun. Also, cameraworks regarding him were so-so. On occasion I really wanted a frontal shot to see the look in his eyes better and to give some emphasis on what was actually happening. I already know he's tall, so I don't need so many full body shots. (They do tend to do a lot of close-ups of Tsukasa, regardless, which I think is better)

Also..I'm seriously disliking the choices made by Shun's stylist/set dresser. Put the boy in some decent clothes! >.< 4/5 of the time they don't compliment him at all and the turtlenecks just make me wanna kill myself. I won't even start about the shoes. I also don't like the white overkill. If they must have white, make better choices!
Jun's stylist/set dresser is doing a much, much better job (If it's the same person, shame on him/her!)

User avatar
makino_sanbr
Posts: 219
Joined: Aug 6th, '04, 02:10
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Post by makino_sanbr » Nov 6th, '05, 13:45

Emi801 wrote: As for that thing with the apple.... that was very odd. For some reason it reminded me of the end to the anime series ^_^;;
You know... I really thought that too...
Did reminded. I not a fan for the end to the animes serie...
I hope they don't follow... :unsure:

p.s oh my! Emily? O_O Was the first page about HYD that i read :cheers:

fybabe
Posts: 79
Joined: Jun 2nd, '05, 13:14

Post by fybabe » Nov 6th, '05, 17:25

gingin wrote: Also..I'm seriously disliking the choices made by Shun's stylist/set dresser. Put the boy in some decent clothes! >.< 4/5 of the time they don't compliment him at all and the turtlenecks just make me wanna kill myself. I won't even start about the shoes. I also don't like the white overkill. If they must have white, make better choices!
Jun's stylist/set dresser is doing a much, much better job (If it's the same person, shame on him/her!)
me high-fives gingin!!
i was also kind of cringing on that turtle necks... it sort of emphasizes shun's long chin... not that i really love dom's red leather jacket either... but i think dom looks kakkoi in this... :wub: sometimes, less is more...
Image

for all the money they splurged on the clothing, which i believe are all branded, the wardrobe coordinator just have absolutely no sense!

nice dom:
Image

User avatar
gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1181
Joined: Dec 28th, '04, 18:56
Location: PL

Post by gunjourui » Nov 6th, '05, 17:49

I agree Shun's clothes are strange.. however...

Image <---- this wasn't bad.. but...but.. those shoes :crazy:

Image <---- he looked great at the airport :wub:

Jun looks great tho :wub: :wub:

fybabe: thanks for the pix

gingin
Posts: 26
Joined: May 16th, '05, 13:56

Post by gingin » Nov 6th, '05, 17:54

The airport is the only scene where I loved Shun's clothes, and maybe the white jackett at their intro in ep1...the dark attire in ep 3 is reasonable too. But you're right so far it's none too promising for future eps =/

User avatar
kitsune714
Posts: 50
Joined: Sep 27th, '04, 03:18

Post by kitsune714 » Nov 6th, '05, 21:26

The scenes with Tsukasa and Tsubaki were some of my favorites--they've got a really great relationship and it's kind of fun to see someone give Tsukasa a much-needed reality check every now and then. :)

REIRA
Posts: 17
Joined: Nov 7th, '05, 01:05

Post by REIRA » Nov 7th, '05, 02:18

yamatsumi wrote:
Image <---- this wasn't bad.. but...but.. those shoes :crazy:
I totally agree!! Those shoes are horrible..

ProdigySim
Posts: 2
Joined: Nov 7th, '05, 01:27

Post by ProdigySim » Nov 7th, '05, 02:33

I'll have to admit I didn't read all 41 pages, but does anyone know where I can find the insert song that they use during sad scenes? I think it's the only insert song with vocals.

"yuzu ku yo.. kao dasu kieteku koto" or something... I can't really tell.
Does anyone at least know the name or something?

fybabe
Posts: 79
Joined: Jun 2nd, '05, 13:14

Post by fybabe » Nov 7th, '05, 04:44

yay!!!!!
the ratings for ep 3 is 20.5 and the high point was 24.6!!
it's the no.1 drama this week, beating all the other dramas, which none passes the 20 point!
it's getting better and better and i hope it will reach 30!!!!! ganbatte ne!!

User avatar
sunmoon
Posts: 219
Joined: Oct 29th, '05, 03:47
Location: New York

Post by sunmoon » Nov 7th, '05, 04:49

YAY thats awesome!!! go HYD!!!
prodigy sim: i think ur talkin bout Planetarium by Ai Otsuka :D u can find it on Nomanymore's clubbox ^^

User avatar
unkei
Posts: 89
Joined: Oct 19th, '05, 12:41
Location: australia

Post by unkei » Nov 7th, '05, 08:05

@gingin: i have to agree that they could've done with a much better costume director~ shun's outfits were acceptable except for all his turtlenecks, which is like 80% of the time!! i also agree that the airport scene in ep2 was the best ensemble for rui so far, except i really liked that long white coat he had in the airport scene in ep3, but the turtleneck killed it again =___= on the other hand however, i don't have any problems with the white tux...i thought that was pretty sexy actually.

as for jun, he gets mildly better outfits than shun, but only mildly - the 'general' blazer at shizuka's party, and the black furlined coat he wore in ep1 when he gets punched by tsukushi were all pretty interesting. actually, jun in black jacket = *drool*. his best outfit so far imo is what he wears in the last scene in ep3~ that was just SO manga!domyouji~~ and it wasn't just the beanie neither. however, i disagreed with that TERRIBLE jacket he wears here:

Image

and here:

Image Image

the whole floral prints obsession just makes me go :crazy: they're taking this whole flower 4 business waaaaay too far~~

@fybabe: 20.5% sounds awesome, but 30?! LOL i'd be really happy if they can stay over 20% for the rest of the series, but with nanako now probably out of the show for a while, i think even that'd be very difficult. however, i think the production crew was very smart in making episode 3 such a spectacular episode, knowing full well that it was getting lots of exposure to ppl who tuned in just for nanako =D *hopeful*

rhap
Posts: 24
Joined: Aug 15th, '05, 05:25

Post by rhap » Nov 7th, '05, 10:56

Actually i didn't really like shun in the white coat during the airport scene in ep 3 - it looks a little big on him...i like him best in the white shirt (the shirt + tie + pants and sometimes the jumper ... minus the white shoes) - like the outfit in the theme video...however, i love Shun's hair. I reckon Jun's best outfit was at shikuza's party - the general suit was so freaking cool. I agree the flowery look is too much, but the black jacket makes it a lot more subtle...I reckon jun dresses the best out of F4 (except for the fur lined jacket and the beanie)

That's just my opinion, but i have funny tastes in fashion..

i'm just wondering, with the ratings system - if it's 20, does that mean 20% of Japan was tuned in?

gingin
Posts: 26
Joined: May 16th, '05, 13:56

Post by gingin » Nov 7th, '05, 14:30

rhap wrote:Actually i didn't really like shun in the white coat during the airport scene in ep 3 - it looks a little big on him...
That's what I thought too. Little too big around the shoulders and chest for an asian frame.

I'm not sure what to think yet of the tux in ep 2. I didn't dislike it but I thought it was lacking something heh.

As for Jun's clothes...I must admit the florals are too much, but I guess I banned those from thought, as well as a few jacketts and just thought 'cool' at the better outfits XD

I can't help noticing the details though...like at the couch scene where Tsukasa & Tsubaki are together. The outfit he wears is rather simple and I thought it nice, but the chain's star..it falls on the 'edge' of the neckline. As in exactly on the edge. Why not make the chain a little longer or shorter. I know that's being nitpicky, but I can't help noticing it, and I believe it's one of those things you should be aware of as a costume director.

Yes, I'm sorry for being a detail-whore XD I'll shut up now. *zips mouth*

I actually thought that Soujiro and Akira are dressed quite well, at least they seem consequent regarding their own styles. It adds flavour to their characters.

User avatar
jAnA
Posts: 77
Joined: Feb 21st, '05, 08:58
Location: North Borneo
Contact:

Post by jAnA » Nov 7th, '05, 14:47

ProdigySim wrote:I'll have to admit I didn't read all 41 pages, but does anyone know where I can find the insert song that they use during sad scenes? I think it's the only insert song with vocals.

"yuzu ku yo.. kao dasu kieteku koto" or something... I can't really tell.
Does anyone at least know the name or something?
It's PLANETARIUM by Otsuka Ai. You can DL it here :-)

User avatar
makino_sanbr
Posts: 219
Joined: Aug 6th, '04, 02:10
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Post by makino_sanbr » Nov 7th, '05, 17:52

fybabe wrote:yay!!!!!
the ratings for ep 3 is 20.5 and the high point was 24.6!!
it's the no.1 drama this week, beating all the other dramas, which none passes the 20 point!
it's getting better and better and i hope it will reach 30!!!!! ganbatte ne!!
WOW!!!! That's amazing!!!!!
I hope it will reach 30 too XD
Because now i agree will get better and better
^____^

ConfinedChild
Posts: 6
Joined: Nov 7th, '05, 23:44
Location: Virginia

Post by ConfinedChild » Nov 8th, '05, 02:19

For me, Doumyouji's black jacket makes him look like a pimp O.O Am I the only one who thinks that? It's the fur, I tell ya, the fur! And his car seat in episode 1 was white.. fur... that's pimpin'!

Does anyone know why he wears that cross btw? Is Doumyouji a Catholic or is it from Jun? O.O

lol, and I'm pretty sure that everyone's up to episode 3 right now, but there's this scene that's been bugging me...

*SPOILER FROM EPISODE 2*

You know the scene where Doumyouji tells Makino to lick his shoe so that her friend could get off easily? You could tell he was expecting her to do something, but what was it? Did he want to see if she would stick up for her friend and admire her even more? Or he wanted to make sure that she has the biggest pride ever and will never diminish it, which would make him like her even more?

I wonder if I'm the only one confused about it... ^_^;;

User avatar
Kallie616
Posts: 20
Joined: Feb 24th, '05, 01:19
Location: NYC

Post by Kallie616 » Nov 8th, '05, 02:29

ConfinedChild i dont think it made him look like a pimp he looked like Michael Jackson .. same thing with the red jacket... who's picking the clothes???

i think he wanted to see if he would stick up for her friend. That a person with that much pride for Sacrifice it all for friend.

ConfinedChild
Posts: 6
Joined: Nov 7th, '05, 23:44
Location: Virginia

Post by ConfinedChild » Nov 8th, '05, 02:38

rofl, Kallie616, my friend said the same thing! (Doumyouji looking like Jackson.. especially that part where he took off his shirt after Sakura bumped into him) Course', I was thinking the same thing but didn't want to say anything until my friend said it ;P

Me = Doumyouji fan
Her = Rui fan

so I was like, grr damn you...-_-

moonlit
Posts: 46
Joined: Oct 9th, '05, 06:05
Location: Canada

Post by moonlit » Nov 8th, '05, 02:41

I think his emotions at the time were very messed up. He was intrigued by her but not completely in love yet, but he probably was developing a "thing" for her. When she saw her being attacked, he couldn't stand to see it so he stepped in but he himself couldn't face the fact that he liked a girl like her so he mad her lick his shoe. Whatever, it's a good scene. But
I'm pretty sure he didn't want her to lick his shoe. I wonder what would've happened if Rui had no arrived in time? I think Tsukushi would've licked the shoe but he would withdraw it just before she licked it.

ConfinedChild
Posts: 6
Joined: Nov 7th, '05, 23:44
Location: Virginia

Post by ConfinedChild » Nov 8th, '05, 02:58

ooh, good insight moonlit. I'm glad they added that scene, it was really good! ^_^ And Makino showing up with a broom all of a sudden was so hilarious! The effects they made for the sauce flying onto Doumyouji's shoe was funny too XD

User avatar
sunmoon
Posts: 219
Joined: Oct 29th, '05, 03:47
Location: New York

Post by sunmoon » Nov 8th, '05, 18:17

im sad cuz it seems like they ll cut sm great scenes from the manga :(
there ll prob no Teen of Japan competition in this drama... they didnt have it in Meteor Garden either T_T why!!! its such a good part in the story... and it helps show how strong and determined makino tsukushi is :( i mean thats the reason we like her right....
besides even though Inoue's acting is great, i think there werent enough details in the first three episodes to show her cool and strong personality... in the manga makino always strides to overcome everythin, even the worst that could happen to her... but in the drama i often saw makino lookin dumb and shy/scared/blah... i hope inoue could show more of makino's often positive attitude towards everythin and basically her unique personality as a wild plant (wats that called again i forgot) :D

User avatar
Kathleen
Posts: 239
Joined: Oct 21st, '05, 22:59

Post by Kathleen » Nov 8th, '05, 20:52

sunmoon wrote:im sad cuz it seems like they ll cut sm great scenes from the manga :(
there ll prob no Teen of Japan competition in this drama... they didnt have it in Meteor Garden either T_T why!!! its such a good part in the story... and it helps show how strong and determined makino tsukushi is
The TOJ part is also one of my favourites. And not only because Tsukushi really stands her weed ground but also because of Doumyouji's loyality and and reliability that you may see in these chapters for the first time.
in the drama i often saw makino lookin dumb and shy/scared/blah... i hope inoue could show more of makino's often positive attitude towards everythin and basically her unique personality as a wild plant
FINALLY someone who understands what I was saying earlier. I don't think Mao-chan's acting needs to improve or anything. She plays really well actually, but she's just not Tsukushi. I tried to make some screenshots of the scene when Tsukushi is stopped by Doumyouji's car ("Huuh? Bakka ja nai!" <-- The way she says that sounds so girlish) but for some reason it wouldn't work. So please just re-watch the scene and compare it to following pictures from the manga (3 different options of how Mao-chan's expression could have been instead :mrgreen: ):

[Edit: Moonlit and Makino_sanbr: I was kind of busy which is why I didn't respond to your posts. It's not like I refused to because we're not of the same opinion or anything. ^_~]
Attachments
Hana Yori Dango v04 c02 038.jpg
Calm but very dangerous looking Tsukushi
Hana Yori Dango v04 c02 038.jpg (35.52 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
HYD v19 - 021 copy.jpg
Furious Tsukushi
HYD v19 - 021 copy.jpg (77.25 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
HYD v20 - 020 copy.jpg
Vulgar Tsukushi
HYD v20 - 020 copy.jpg (58.34 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
Last edited by Kathleen on Nov 8th, '05, 22:34, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
musouka
Posts: 44
Joined: Oct 22nd, '05, 22:04

Post by musouka » Nov 8th, '05, 22:14

I do know what you mean, Kathleen. Two examples I can think of right off the bat are the fact that manga-Tsukushi stuck up for herself when Yuriko and her goons poured the drinks on her, and the fact that she would have kicked Tsukasa's ass before ever getting close to licking his shoes. (Though I'm glad they didn't do that because that remains one of my favorite scenes in the drama, if only for the massive amount of tension in it)

However, having said that, I don't think Tsukushi is really a wimp in the drama. Actually, I find her reactions to be fairly close to how I would have felt. While it's very cool to see Tsukushi jump up after the girls have made a fool out of her, I am reminded of what my brother said when he watched episode two of the drama with me as Tsukushi came into the party after noticing how everyone else was dressed: "Ohhh, man! I know THAT feeling!"

And if someone poured drinks on my head, I think I would be so stunned I might not react right off the bat. I don't think the drama is so much wrong as to show her hurt and confused as it is to not give her the time to work through it herself. It's not so much Tsukushi I have a problem with as it is the "perfect" timing Rui too often displays. In other words, the Tsukushi in the drama will defend herself, she's just not always given a chance.

However, in defense of the drama, I also understand why they set it up this way. They had to show a bond between Rui and Tsukushi in a matter of two eps, as well as make a crush on him plausible. Making him into a bit of a "knight on a white horse" is understandable when you realize they don't have 36 volumes or 50-something episodes. And while it doesn't do Tsukushi's current character any real favors, we do know that she's not a wallflower, especially since they used the scene where she confronts Tsukasa after the makeover as triple duty in terms of set up. (Shows that she can't be bought and she's tough, shows that Tsukasa likes her, provides a reason for him to get jealous of Rui at the end of the ep...really, not a scene is wasted in this drama)

The same way for Tsukusa's crying in ep three. While grossly out of character as compared to the manga-Tsukasa, I can accept it because it was needed in terms of the drama characterization. In the time frame they have, the only moments between Tsukushi and Tsukasa have been antagonistic. She had to see a softer side of him in order to make the last part of the episode work, and there was really no other scene to do it in.

Anyway, to bring this back to Tsukushi, I think your compalints are valid, but since no character is the same as the manga counterpart, it's an unfortunate side effect of being "dramatized".

-

User avatar
sunmoon
Posts: 219
Joined: Oct 29th, '05, 03:47
Location: New York

Post by sunmoon » Nov 9th, '05, 00:18

what kathleen said is exactly right... this is just not Tsukushi...
what musouka is not exactly wrong either... i agree that Tsukushi didnt have enough time to think and act when those 3 girls poured drink on her at the party... plus she just knew that Rui is in love w shizuka... so she might be out of her mind then...
however, wat makes tsukushi stand out is her strong personality :) if she was acting like us all the time, then wats the point? why would tsukusa even fall in luv with her? if she was so normal like everyone else? if she was to act like what we would, then i dunno... the story might not be even interestin then :(
Besides, i think she overreacted after the makeover at tsukasas house...yes tsukushi is a tough girl... but after watchin that scene i didnt see a girl whos proud of herself no matter how poor she is (like in the manga), but in fact, i only saw a very strange and ... i cant find a word for this... lol anyway she did it a lil too much with her face... i dont think a sociable and funny cool girl would act like that... even if she really hated Tsukasa -.-
i wonder if all these actors/actresses have read HYD... i think that if they hav finished it, they would understand the characters more than reading from a script... i heard jun read some of it? lol

shiruchan
Posts: 108
Joined: Oct 23rd, '04, 15:09

Post by shiruchan » Nov 9th, '05, 01:26

I agree with you, musuoka. I think the time is the big enemy to difficultate the cast to be as perfect as on manga.

I know Tsukushi should be tough and agressive. For me, she shouldn´t cry so much like she did on 3rd episode, and there are a lot of situations that she should be tougher. But at the same time, I think she´s tough enough to japanese standards. I mean, japanese girls are too soft, too delicate (not all of them, of course), so Inoue´s portrayal of Tsukushi isn´t so far from manga´s Tsukushi. I don´t know if you understand me, but I think Inoue is 98% Tsukushi.

As for Tsukasa´s crying, I thought "He would never do that, I´ve never seen his crying and being so dramatic like that", but as musuoka said before, they needed to do it to show another part of Tsukasa, or people who never read manga would never like him. We are not too satisfied probably because we have already read the manga, but we need to understand that in drama, they don´t have time enough to develop perfeclty the characters. Same thing goes for Rui: many people didn´t like him smiling so much, talking so much, but once again, time here is the enemy.

But after all, I think all the cast are doing a good job, but I just hope Tsukushi won´t get too girly, either Tsukasa won´t get too cheesy. (Sweet and innocent don´t mean cheesy, right?)

sunmoon, I´ve watched Inoue´s and Jun´s interview, and Inoue said she was a big fan of Hana Yori Dango, inclusively, her favorite character is Rui (bleh!). I´ve read (on official site, maybe?) that Jun read all the 36 volumes in 11 hours (!!!)!. As for the rest, I actually don´t know.

User avatar
non-angelical
Posts: 368
Joined: Oct 31st, '05, 11:37
Location: paris
Contact:

Post by non-angelical » Nov 9th, '05, 01:53

At first I also think that Doumyouji in this Japan version is too soft. But then I tried to see the movie without comparing it too much to the manga and the taiwan version. I believe that the main reason is that they don't have enough time (or episodes) to make Doumyouji' character is as tough. Because then it will take longer for Tsukushi to realize the good side of Doumyouji.

Like in the end of eps.3, I thikn part of the reason Tsukushi decided to finally come to see Doumyouji is that she remembered how he act in the airport when Rui left. She could see that he actually have a good-side. Just like in the manga and taiwan version, he just don't know how to express it.

It's the same for Tsukushi, she's not as tough. Maybe they want to cut off much of their (Tsukushi and Doumyouji) usual arguments (that is quarrelling, arguing each other, etc) without a significant change to the plot of the story.

*Yes, off course it would be better if the just make it a little bit longer. *

angelic_poring
Posts: 30
Joined: Nov 9th, '05, 01:34

Post by angelic_poring » Nov 9th, '05, 01:54

... i can't understand why ppl like this japanese version of hana yori dango so much.. to me i find it a bit of an insult to the anime. The characters don't fit at all, ogure shun, altho he portrays that quitness.. he doesn't have the same elegance as the actual rui in the anime. Shizuka.. is supposed to be pure, but for some reason they chose someone that isn't fit for the character at all. She looks like someone that has this wild look.. that doesn't portray that sense of purity as demonstrated in the anime.. sojiro and akira DON'T look like the characters in the hana yori dango AT ALL... wth, akira's hair is supposed to have long and curly, wut's up with the short hair.. sojiro is also supposed to have long and straight hair.. that guy's hair is so short in the movie. as for the version of domyoji in the drama..... he can't play the character properly. In the drama, they make him seem like a total jerk. He's not like that at all, in the anime he may be cold, but he never actually treats her that badly.. like.. making her lick his shoe? that's totally not him, altho in the anime he does speak badly of her, but it's just a form of self denial. And why the heck do they play crazy evil harry potter music when the f4 comes in?? they're not evil at all, the atmosphere that they create using that music is totally wrong. They make them seem so evil... especially domyoji, he actually smiles or laughs evilly or something when he beat ppl up. He's not that insane at all. Everything is so exagerrated.. it's simply .. *trying to put this in a nice way* .. farfetched? When f4 comes in the whole school starts clapping? that's so terrible.. that's not even funny.. The way they actually sit on SOFAS and watch ppl being tortured by because of the red paper.. that's not their style at all.. In the anime they just walk around and don't care. They've gotten the characters all wrong, the story line is altered such that.. sometimes it doesn't seem like hana yori dango anymore.. wut happened to that part where domyoji gets so mad that he forced a kiss on makino? despite the fact that it was aggresive, it plays a very important part in the story line.. Domyoji was portrayed as such a jerk.. that i felt really taken aback.. and insulted as well since he's my favourite character.. he's supposed to be really innocent, really easy to please, sensitive.. and has difficulty expressing his feelings yet is sweet at the same time.. yet the domyoji in the drama seems like this random guy beating random ppl up, that seems to have a crush on makino (the fact that he likes her isn't portrayed well ) and gets randomly jealous... he's a character that's much more difficult to comprehend than the actual domyoji in hana yori dango.. he's not the domyoji that would make u sympthise with him at all..

nevertheless, i'm stlil hoping for somethign amazing, i hope that they wont' take out any more important parts or ruin any more imprtant parts of the story..

User avatar
Felguard
Posts: 162
Joined: Oct 22nd, '04, 07:16
Contact:

Post by Felguard » Nov 9th, '05, 02:10

well, an anime is an anime, and a drama is a drama.

angelic_poring
Posts: 30
Joined: Nov 9th, '05, 01:34

Post by angelic_poring » Nov 9th, '05, 03:04

as a response to felguard:

sure, but i think they could have done a much better job in the jdrama. like in meteor garden, the series wasn't half as exaggerated, at least they dont' have the whole school squealing f4 and clapping when they enter.. even the anime isn't that exaggerated. Also, the dao ming si character is much better portrayed in meteor garden, although he's alot more emotional and passionate than the actual doumyoji, he portrays his character effectively whereas in the jdrama, he seems much more of a difficult and even cruel character due to the fact that the jdrama tries so hard to emphasize on both his violent and emotional side that it becomes practically extreme and exaggerated, making his character totally out of place and over done..
Anyway, just a personal opinion.. yet it's so upsetting..

User avatar
makino_sanbr
Posts: 219
Joined: Aug 6th, '04, 02:10
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Post by makino_sanbr » Nov 9th, '05, 03:47

angelic_poring wrote:... i can't understand why ppl like this japanese version of hana yori dango so much.. to me i find it a bit of an insult to the anime.....
.......
nevertheless, i'm stlil hoping for somethign amazing, i hope that they wont' take out any more important parts or ruin any more imprtant parts of the story..
Hi! First of all.. I also a HYD fan before this Drama.. and here we have a lot of HYD fan..
That not JUST saw the anime serie but read the manga, saw meteor garden and now we are wacthing the J-Drama...
.. You have your opinion.. I respect but i have to tell you.. I do not i agree even 10 % for the things that you said... So i will try answer you question..
Why do i like this Drama..

I do think that the characters are diferent... but i didn't really expect to be all the same..
And make refence to the other discussion abou makino/Inoue.. i agree what people said that makino is too soft .. tsukasa and Rui are diferent..
But if you think are they but more extreme on some aspects.. Some fellings HAVE to be extreme.. because is a Drama.. not a 36 mangas..
Like some friend my said.. "They have to be more Dramatical...and use more strong feelings..."
You said that you think that is a total insult to anime..
If i was extreme i would said that i think that the anime serie is a total insult to the manga..
they didn't follow the manga either.. they stop in the middle .. about the 18 vol from manga..
and have that End.. that was ridiculous...
.. so if you wanna talk about insult..
Well opinion everybody have yours.. like we would said in my country..
But i really think that even with the diferent aspects.. the Drama pretty much has the essencial HYD..
and even I that.. I love so much Meteor garden ( and i really do)
I have to say that until now.. the J-Drama FOR ME... has more this essencial HYD...
because yes.. Meteor garden was more funny and goofy.. and the character try so hard to look exactly the same.. but They Had to..
I like Dao min si.. but for me was never really Doumyoji.. was Jerry..
and i loved to think that he was Doumyoji.. but he really was never how deeply Doumyoji is... The pain for his loniless.. the needding violence acts.. did'nt show how Tsukasa is a kid that have to be love..some who believe in true feelings...
I have so much hope that the J-Drama could do that...
For me until ep.3 they are pretty much on a good way...

and yet.. how you said.. is a personal opinion.. and for me it's not even upsetting.. Is great.. i want to read,wacth.. all about HYD again... and see how they gonna tell the history in the next episodes..

nanachan
Posts: 8
Joined: Apr 3rd, '05, 17:29
Location: Canada

Post by nanachan » Nov 9th, '05, 04:29

angelic_poring wrote:as a response to felguard:

sure, but i think they could have done a much better job in the jdrama. like in meteor garden, the series wasn't half as exaggerated, at least they dont' have the whole school squealing f4 and clapping when they enter.. even the anime isn't that exaggerated. Also, the dao ming si character is much better portrayed in meteor garden, although he's alot more emotional and passionate than the actual doumyoji, he portrays his character effectively whereas in the jdrama, he seems much more of a difficult and even cruel character due to the fact that the jdrama tries so hard to emphasize on both his violent and emotional side that it becomes practically extreme and exaggerated, making his character totally out of place and over done..
Anyway, just a personal opinion.. yet it's so upsetting..
I completely disagree with you. If I remembered correctly, in the manga Doumyouji is depicted as a one person whom you should never want to mess with. Which mean he is that scary and can be that evil. If he isn't then why would the whole school be so afraid of him including the teachers. He is cruel enough to use whatever in his power to drive those that are an eyesore to him for whatever reasons that is out of school. Although he is cruel, but his cruelity doesn't come from pure evilness but more from his immaturity and the lack of descripline from his home. However, he has changed since the day he met Makino, because of his love for her, he has become softer. But regardless of the fact that he is becoming softer as the volumes proceed, still he is never really that soft, but rather his softer side is applied only towards Makino and anything that's related to her.

I've watched the TW drama, and it took me a few attempts to finish the whole series. When I was watching Meteor Garden, I found that in many scenes Jerry's acting seems very ackward, especially in scenes where he's supposed to get angry. We are talking about Doumyouji the hot tempered rich boy who will explode if he doesnt get his way. I expected some loud angry explosive performance from Jerry for certain scenes, but instead I got a jaw dropping and big starry eyes look from Jerry as to show that he's very angry which I'm not very impressed at all. That's only one of the many examples that I dislike about Meteor Garden. Anyways, what I'm trying to say is to me the JDrama acting is far more superior than Meteor Garden. JDrama were able to bring forth the depth of the main characters.

User avatar
unkei
Posts: 89
Joined: Oct 19th, '05, 12:41
Location: australia

Post by unkei » Nov 9th, '05, 04:41

hi everyone, i've just got my 2 cents to add to this topic~~!

for the bit where tsukushi gets the drinks poured on her at shizuka's party, she didn't do anything cos one of the girls said "you better not make a scene and ruin shizuka's party". similarly, during the shoe-licking scene, you could tell by her expression that she really wanted to throttle domyouji (i mean, she ran in there with a broom~~ it was obvious that she was preparing for war), but domyouji said that if she did it, he'd stop tormenting sakurako. i don't think these scenes make her seem 'weaker' and more submissive than the manga tsukushi at all, but rather really show how strong she is, and how far she'd go to protect the people she considers her friends and idols.

it's difficult for inoue to pull all the expressions that manga!tsukushi pulls, because there are certain differences between what you can do on paper and in pictures, and what you can do in a drama. manga portrayals are always more exaggerated, and the challenge for a drama is to be able to realistically present those exaggerations in a dramatised way. i really don't think the tsukushi in the drama is 'weak' at all~ in fact, out of all the examples i can think of, i don't think she's ever failed to give domyouji a piece of her mind, except when she's being self-sacrificial, which in fact helps to remind the audience of her inner strength. it'd be ridiculous for drama!tsukushi to be exactly the same as manga!tsukushi. if that was the purpose of the drama, then they may as well have just made another anime =__=

as for the comments about tsukushi crying in episode 3~~ uh...the manga tsukushi tears up way more. in fact, sometimes i get sick of how much the manga tsukushi cries. crying is like her second nature~!!

and in relation to domyouji's OOC scene at the airport~ i agree that was OOC, but i didn't find it troubling. in fact, musuoka's interpretation of it is spot on. if they didn't let tsukushi see a soft side of domyouji at that time, there would've been NO EXCUSE for her to run to him at the end of ep 3. time is really a constraint for this drama, and they have to use every scene as efficiently as they can. i think domyouji's scene at the airport also suggests how lonely his character really is~ there were several references to that later on in the episode with regards to the 'tiger mask' man.

edit: sorry i made a translation error, and the girl actually says "you're dressed in the wrong way anyway, this is shizuka's party". but in any case, that scene really doesn't make tsukushi's character weaker, and if it does, it's remedied by the scene in episode 3 when she stands up to the three goons and tells them that she's up for battle anytime. the party scene was necessary, as someone else pointed out, for rui to play the knight in shining armour, and for the audience to see a caring and jealous side of domyouji.
Last edited by unkei on Nov 9th, '05, 04:52, edited 1 time in total.

anyala
Posts: 74
Joined: Sep 21st, '05, 08:35

Post by anyala » Nov 9th, '05, 04:48

watched the 1st 2 eps,...well maybe sneak peek on the 3rd coz no subs yet...hehhehe

I luv it!! Can't complain abt anything ...it looks great to me..! the casts the act the locations...all great.!! Hana yori Rocks!! i hope kind seeders will continue seeding this drama until it finished,...!! is it true that this drama only got 9 eps?? can anyone update me abt this??thanks... :lol

fybabe
Posts: 79
Joined: Jun 2nd, '05, 13:14

Post by fybabe » Nov 9th, '05, 05:59

this is ridiculous!!
anime vs live action?
i thought only children expected cartoon characters to walk out of their telly...
hmm... then those harry potter movies are real crap and LOTR seires are garbage. i'd rather stick to my book and copy check all the voice overs in the movies and dramas...

DUH!!!!!

User avatar
CarolL
Posts: 110
Joined: Aug 25th, '04, 01:29

Post by CarolL » Nov 9th, '05, 06:00

unkei wrote:hi everyone, i've just got my 2 cents to add to this topic~~!
i think domyouji's scene at the airport also suggests how lonely his character really is~ there were several references to that later on in the episode with regards to the 'tiger mask' man.

edit: sorry i made a translation error, and the girl actually says "you're dressed in the wrong way anyway, this is shizuka's party". but in any case, that scene really doesn't make tsukushi's character weaker, and if it does, it's remedied by the scene in episode 3 when she stands up to the three goons and tells them that she's up for battle anytime. the party scene was necessary, as someone else pointed out, for rui to play the knight in shining armour, and for the audience to see a caring and jealous side of domyouji.
Very well done interpretation of HYD's characters and situations, unkei!!

When I was watching Ep.3, I couldn't interpretate what's the special meaning of the "tiger mask" man, until you mentioned here. So, the "tiger mask" man was... Tsukasa. "Mean on the outside, but soft on the inside."

I have seen the TW version's HYD and it dragged a lot in terms of storyline and unnecessary sub-characters. I just didn't like the fact that Tsukushi shows lack of love for Tsukasa in the TW version, it seems to me she likes Rui more in this TW version. She's so reluctant to Tsukasa's love for her even in the last epsiode. I don't see enough expressions on her love towards Tsukasa and there's not much sparkling chemistry between them two. Is she like that in the manga, like reluctant to love Tsukasa and never shows how much she loves his accompany? thanks!!

***This is based on my own opinion, if I offended the TW version, I'm sorry.

anyala
Posts: 74
Joined: Sep 21st, '05, 08:35

Post by anyala » Nov 9th, '05, 06:04

fybabe wrote:this is ridiculous!!
anime vs live action?
i thought only children expected cartoon characters to walk out of their telly...
hmm... then those harry potter movies are real crap and LOTR seires are garbage. i'd rather stick to my book and copy check all the voice overs in the movies and dramas...

DUH!!!!!
hahahaha..u so great!!...
i can't finished the 1st chapter of LOTR...too much writing in it..

but luv the movies..!!! can't complain abt it!! :thumright:

User avatar
sunmoon
Posts: 219
Joined: Oct 29th, '05, 03:47
Location: New York

Post by sunmoon » Nov 9th, '05, 06:06

agree with angelic_borin bout the castin of this drama... they could have chosen better actors who look like the characters in the manga... but then again im afraid these ppl might not know how to act ( i insist in changing Shun tho -.- hes my biggest disappointment)
anyway a drama is a drama like sm1 said lol its hard to make it exactly the same as the manga... so yea... complainin all we can kekeke but we should still be happy that they decided to make this drama :P
btw why does it have to limit to 9 episodes? is it a budget prob? cuz even if other j dramas r only bout 9-12 eps but it doesnt necesarilly mean that all dramas hav to be short :D...

qwertyness
Posts: 29
Joined: Aug 17th, '05, 01:17

Post by qwertyness » Nov 9th, '05, 06:13

do you guys know the title and singer of the song that was played on episode 2 right after the "lick it off" part? thanks!

fybabe
Posts: 79
Joined: Jun 2nd, '05, 13:14

Post by fybabe » Nov 9th, '05, 06:24

anyala wrote:hahahaha..u so great!!...
i can't finished the 1st chapter of LOTR...too much writing in it..

but luv the movies..!!! can't complain abt it!! :thumright:
me high-fives anyala!!!
i can't get pass the first chapter too!!! man, so zzzzz......
me too! love the movie!
and i love the harry potter movies and the books as well! but i see them being diiferent in a way, but they're both great!!! i also see harry potter looking different from how the book describes it. still i love the movie the same!!

i think there's so much talk about hyd coz there're so many versions of it!

i mean, not only are the manga fans defending it against the anime AND the tw series AND the japanese movie AND the japanese drama, it's the same for the tw series fans and the japanese hyd fans just defending the opposite, but more complications with the tw f4 being popular as singers with their fan base, AND matsujun and oguri shun with their fan bases...
geez... what a mess!!!

and it's only a drama! can't we all enjoy it for itself?

User avatar
sunmoon
Posts: 219
Joined: Oct 29th, '05, 03:47
Location: New York

Post by sunmoon » Nov 9th, '05, 06:33

lol why? i think arguement is fun ^^
o since u mentioned the japanese movie :) i actually liked the first part of it :D very funny... the girl was pretty cool and shes almost like the Makino i hav always expected ^^ rui was ok (he looked mad innocent keke :P) tsukasa was bleh -.- I wish there were subs for it tho :(

User avatar
Kathleen
Posts: 239
Joined: Oct 21st, '05, 22:59

Post by Kathleen » Nov 9th, '05, 10:04

Uh... referring to the answers to my previous post: I perfectly agree with sunmoon: Musouka is right. I understand they had to change Tsukushi's character in order to make her more realistic. But then again, what sunmoon wrote is pretty much true as well - if Tsukushi acted like everyone did she wouldn't be our heroine anymore, hence everything would completely lose its meaning. I'm sorry to say this but I think everything Tsukushi has down so far could have been done by anyone. (Except for the sock in Doumyouji's chin. :P)
I also kind of agree to what unkei wrote - manga expressions are of course way exaggerated sometimes but please have another look at the pictures I've uploaded earlier. Swinging her fist, standing with her legs apart, screaming out loud - neither of it is something that you don't see irl. It's rather a way how (Japanese) boys usually act when feeling provoked. I know I'm being too picky about this. As I said before I don't blame Mao-chan for anything. What I'm talking about is just something I'd like her to do instead as it would make her be less princess like. Inner strength is a nice thing but it's also questionable, plus it doesn't make her all that admirable. (At least not to me.)
As for the scene when she was to lick Doumyouji's shoe: I never doubted her strength when she agreed to do it in order to help Sakurako. In fact I think willing to do such a thing only proved how strong she really is.
Regarding other scenes like when Asai and co first poured a bucket of water on her or later on Shizuka's party when she had enough time to react after the third girl poured her champagne on her, I would have liked some kind of reaction. Even though this is neither manga nor anime but a drama - you cannot deny there are various things that are still exaggerated. As someone already mentioned everyone clapping their hands when the F4 comes, for instance, or every girl being hopelessly in love with them just by knowing their parents income doesn't seem like something you'd usually see irl. Even the scene when Tsukushi punched Doumyouji in the face wasn't too authentic. (MG gets my credits for this scene. They made it less dramatic but rather real for once.) To make it short: I don't think everything has to be perfectly realistic in order to be entertaining.

Just to make it clear once more: I've pretty much stopped comparing the drama to the manga or anime. But there are some certain basics that I just want to see in the drama or it wouldn't be Hana yori Dango anymore. I'm not talking about particular scenes or dialogues but characteristics which I personally consider determining to be hooked up to a story in the long run.

@angelic_poring: I get your point. My first impression of Jun was about the same. But this is something we can't really blame the producers or the actors for since it's really complicated to portray his character development in only 9 episodes if it wasn't for such extremely bad or soft characteristics. (Which is why I didn't really mind the scene at the airport. As much as I disliked the idea of a crying Doumyouji when I saw the scene in the preview, I kind of understood why they decided to make him express his feelings like that when I saw the episode that contains the scene, and for some reason he didn't even look whiny or wimpy to me.)
I totally disagree concerning Meteor Garden though. I might have liked the show a lot better if it wasn't for Jerry who stared Daoming Su. I think he was way more ooc being whiny and childish the whole time. What I like best about Doumyouji's character is that he may be very cold on the outside but once you get to know him better you find out he actually has a really good heart. Daoming Su definitely lacks of that appearance / true personality contrast that makes the original Doumyouji so special.

@shiruchan: WHAT?? It took him only 11 hours for all 36 volumes?! Gah. That's impossible if you ask me. It takes me at least[/i ]half an hour to finish one volume (in German) and I'm not particularly slow or anything. He must have skipped a lot to finish the whole series that quickly.
As for Mao-chan, she also said the scene of Tsukushi breaking up with Doumyouji in the rain is her favourite scene, so she might root for Doumyouji x Tsukushi after all. :D (OR she was only happy to see a new chance for Rui. :glare: )

shiruchan
Posts: 108
Joined: Oct 23rd, '04, 15:09

Post by shiruchan » Nov 9th, '05, 23:25

fybabe wrote: and it's only a drama! can't we all enjoy it for itself?
Hahahaha!!! You´re totally right, fybabe!!!!
I know there is a lot of HYD fans here, and it´s impossible not to compare manga vs anime vs meteor garden vs hana yori dango - i do that too, but hey, let´s take it lightly, everyone! It´s just a drama at all. Of course this drama won´t be perfect, but even he original story - the manga, wasn´t perfect at all!!!

I don´t know who said this drama is a insult to the anime, and I agree with makino_sanbr, when she said: "I don´t agree with 10% of what you said". Is this drama too exagerate? I don´t think so. I disliked some things, some scenes, but I still think Inoue Mao and Matsumoto Jun are doing an excellent job on their characters´ portrayal. Mao is tough enough too me, Jun is agressive and soft enough to me, and even disagreeing with some things, we have to consider the time factor is a problem to make it 100% perfect. But I don´t expect them to be just as the same like on manga.

angelic_poring: About Soujiro´s and Akira´s hairstyle: WHAT??? Gosh, I respect your point, but do they really need to have the same hairstyle as on anime? Isn´t it too much??? I didn´t like Matsuda Shota and Abe Tsuyoshi at first, but now I think they´re OK. But HAIRSTYLE??? I wasn´t expecting they would have the same hair... Never!

Kathleen, yes, it´s written on the official site that Jun read ALL volumes in 11 hours!!! Well, I don´t think he skipped a lot of parts. I read all the volumes too in a little time, so I think it´s not unbelievable. :lol His favorite plots are: when Tsukushi was working at Doumyouji´s house and they saw Saturn together(well, the necklace part), the raining scene, and the story about Nishikado and Sara.

User avatar
unkei
Posts: 89
Joined: Oct 19th, '05, 12:41
Location: australia

Post by unkei » Nov 10th, '05, 01:06

lol yeah, it's not too difficult to read HYD in 11 hours. i reread the whole series before the drama showed in less time than that LOL

User avatar
makino_sanbr
Posts: 219
Joined: Aug 6th, '04, 02:10
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Post by makino_sanbr » Nov 10th, '05, 02:53

I agree about every thing being confused.. about F4 taiwan fan`s... about Matsumoto fans and Shun fans..
and too manga, anime, movie fans...
I really wanna enjoy this because HYD.. and in the end..
this is so good because is HYD.. :cheers:
i said before.. but sometimes what i most like to read is how people that don't know the history are think... ^^

Abou Jun reads in 11 hours.. O_O
Well i don't think that is impossible.. because i gave to my friend the 36 vols.. and she ready in one afternoo and one night... the other day in college ahe was half sleepy and talk:"i couldn't stop.. i almost ended...i readed 34 vol..."
and i was O_O ?
really?
But i really don't know.. if he really readed.. i think that is just for crazy people like me and my dear friend... XD

User avatar
sunmoon
Posts: 219
Joined: Oct 29th, '05, 03:47
Location: New York

Post by sunmoon » Nov 10th, '05, 02:54

wow interestin... i never thought a person could finish 36 volumes in 11 hours... same as kathleen it took me at least 30 mins to finish 1 volume... and im like a really fast manga reader....
well i guess jun must be a really really reallly super fast reader :)

Philmein
Posts: 63
Joined: Oct 12th, '04, 00:52

Post by Philmein » Nov 10th, '05, 03:34

I've never seen Meteor Garden or read the manga, so I can't compare HYD with those two. Howver, I can say that HYD is effin' sweet.

fybabe
Posts: 79
Joined: Jun 2nd, '05, 13:14

Post by fybabe » Nov 10th, '05, 05:38

er...
i finished all the manga, yes, all 36 vols, in 4-5 hrs...
normally i take like near 1-2 hrs to finish a manga book, coz i like to slowly ponder at the drawing details and admire how the mangaka chose the angles and expressions for the characters and sets.
but this hyd manga is..... sorry hyd manga fans, but this is my own personal view ok, i think the drawing is awful!
so i just read some of the conversations of the characters and the rough storyline and actually, to be honest, if it wasn't for me waiting for the pages to upload on my pc (read it online), if they were books, i would have finished all 36 vols, in about 2.5 hrs...
the main characters are pretty stereotype shojo type heros and heroines so the story is kind of predictable... and long winded...

i'm definitely not the manga fan, so i'm watching hyd as a different entity. and i'm enjoying it tremendously.

ok, manga fans can throw eggs at me now... haha!!!

fybabe
Posts: 79
Joined: Jun 2nd, '05, 13:14

Post by fybabe » Nov 10th, '05, 07:04

for all who loves tsukasa and tsukushi!!!!
here's something a china fan did with the 3 eps of hyd!!
it's really really really great!!
the fan's name is 琴子 (qin zi).
and this is part one. she promises to do up part 2, 3, 4, etc... in future!!!

http://s32.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=39BF ... L8I20TL4OK

i was really touched you know...

User avatar
Kathleen
Posts: 239
Joined: Oct 21st, '05, 22:59

Post by Kathleen » Nov 10th, '05, 08:25

*throws an egg at fybabe* :P
I do like the drawing. In fact the manga is still my favourite of all versions.
It's really amazing how so many of you could finish the whole series within such short time. Did you get all the details and puns and everything, too? I'm more of the person that reads only up to 4 volumes a day so that I enjoy the story a little longer.
So... Everyone who read the manga so quickly: Did you really, REALLY read everything? Then please tell me if you felt anything too when you read in like half an hour about
Tsukushi and Doumyouji suddenly going out and then breaking up, then being separated for quite a while with the result of them ending up together again. (That was from volume 19 to 26 which is about the 5th of 36 volumes. So if some of you needed like 5 hours (or actually only 2 to 3) then it couldn't have taken you longer than half an hour for 7 volumes?!)
One afternoon and one night is something I can think of. But, sorry, 4 to 10 hours is not reading but skimming over the pages to me.
Btw, the link doesn't work for me. Sounds interesting though.

Edit: I don't mean it takes me a whole day to finish 4 volumes. It's more like I usually stop myself from reading too much at one go so I can get more of the story over a longer time. (That's only when I really like a story though. But then again I wouldn't read anything that I don't like.)

User avatar
unkei
Posts: 89
Joined: Oct 19th, '05, 12:41
Location: australia

Post by unkei » Nov 10th, '05, 08:37

it's seriously not that hard to read LOL it takes me a couple of seconds to read per page, and with a manga reader, or just with the winxp picture client, it doesn't take that long to go through a volume. if it was in book version it would probably have taken me even less time. it's because HYD really is VERY easy reading~!! some manga take me longer to go through because there's a lot of interplay and 'meaningful messages' inside that require you to flick back and forth to understand what it's trying to get at (for eg, karekano, fruits basket), but shoujo manga is usually pretty easy to read...

the art was pretty bad in the first half of the series, then it got a whole lot better.

edit: OMG fybabe that clip was totally sweet~~!! haha it's cool that a chinese fan did that~ i'm always worried about the chinese's reception of hana yori dango, after tw!mg. i know there's still loads of criticism out there, really BIASED criticism, but awwww that clip makes me feel all fluffy inside =D

fybabe
Posts: 79
Joined: Jun 2nd, '05, 13:14

Post by fybabe » Nov 10th, '05, 09:08

actually the reaction in china is very, very mixed.
and i would suggest everyone to stay away from chinese hyd sites even if you've got nothing else better to do... coz even where half the comments are good, the other half is ridiculously rude, in a very bad way.
but there's still a big rational fan following, manga or jun/shun fans. this girl happens to be a manga fan(and jun fan - i'm not sure). the forum with her that i visit is still a bit more sane. but there's still occasional rude remarks everyday... sigh...

User avatar
Kathleen
Posts: 239
Joined: Oct 21st, '05, 22:59

Post by Kathleen » Nov 10th, '05, 09:12

@ unkei: That's not particularly true. There are a lot of puns and references to previous happenings throughout the whole story. Neither Kare Kano nor Fruits Basket seemed on a higher level to me. (I read both.) If anything Kare Kano is even easier as there isn't much character depth in my opinion. I mean... of course there is. That's what the whole story is about. But the character depth of each chara striclty heads for wheather good or bad with only one exception I can think of. (Same with Furuba, also with only one exception.) I enjoyed reading and watching both stories but I cannot appreciate them as much as others do.
Ok, and here comes the math: One volume has about 180 pages. Let's say you need 10 seconds for one page. That makes 1800 seconds for the whole volume = 30 minutes. Even if we take the half of it (which means you sure need to rush through the pages) it'll be still 15 minutes. In the latter case we have 540 minutes = 9 hours for all 36 volumes. So it is possible, technically. But that means you have to read each volume within 5 seconds (sure, there are some filler pages too, but also count in that such stuff as changing pages might take you half a second which brings you back to our current result), nonstop. Don't you guys ever need to drink or eat or go to the bathroom? x_x And you don't even get to see the pictures. So with Kamio-sensei giving every character the same face it should have caused you some confusions. I'm not having any problems with understanding Hanadan but with the pace of reading. I couldn't enjoy a story if I'd be in a rush the whole time.
As for the artworks, I agree. Just that it wasn't the half of the story but about the first 10 volumes that were really awful. It got better with each volume from then. (Although it got worse again towards the end.)

fybabe
Posts: 79
Joined: Jun 2nd, '05, 13:14

Post by fybabe » Nov 10th, '05, 09:39

of course i skip some pages!
if i don't, i would have given up on the whole story by, i donno, the first few books? coz some scenarios are just too predictable or too corny or too long winded.

User avatar
Kathleen
Posts: 239
Joined: Oct 21st, '05, 22:59

Post by Kathleen » Nov 10th, '05, 10:02

Uhu! Now that makes more sense. Cause if it took you 5 hours to complete the whole series it must've taken you less than 2.8 seconds for each page (reading non-stop); for 3 hours it would be even less than 1.7 secons per page which is nearly impossible. (Err, I've had too much math at school. I can't really get my mind off of it now. *sigh*)
Well, but it's not that natural to skip pages. I read everything as did many others, too. You don't know what you miss unless you read it. Maybe there are important key sentences even in the corniest dialogues.

User avatar
unkei
Posts: 89
Joined: Oct 19th, '05, 12:41
Location: australia

Post by unkei » Nov 10th, '05, 10:21

@kathleen: each to their own i guess~ i found everything in HYD a lot easier to follow, whereas for karekano, there were a lot of scenes in the manga where i'm just like "huh? where did that come from?" and having to flip back, or reread it to get it. that's not saying it's necessarily a better manga than HYD though - it doesn't make it more 'clever'. it's just that the style is different, which is why it takes a different amount of time to read. lol you're kind of sensitive aren't you? i enjoyed HYD thoroughly, a lot more than karekano, which i stopped reading at volume 12 or so. it's one of the few manga i think, which was overshadowed by the anime. anyhows EEEK offtopic!!

lol but the thing is, some pages in hana yori dango took a split second to read, because it was like a spread of art illustrating AGAIN what happened on the previous page!! that gives you a few more seconds to read the pages with a bit more dialogue in it ^^''' and i must admit that when i reread it nonstop, i REALLY reread it nonstop~~ like starting at 7pm and finishing the next morning haha. i don't know if jun did the same thing, but he's a manga-reader, so he's probably skilled at speed-reading. also i don't think he's a shoujo manga fan (is reminded of that clip where he was reading 'fist of the north star' =_=)...so he probably did flip through a lot of the pages.

User avatar
surrealistic-destiny
Posts: 135
Joined: Nov 9th, '05, 01:24
Location: australia ^____^

Post by surrealistic-destiny » Nov 10th, '05, 10:26

fybabe wrote:and it's only a drama! can't we all enjoy it for itself?
I agree.
I mean the anime is good although I haven't seen it but managed to read the manga. Rather then everyone saying the drama won't be good or something since its going to be different...but hey doesn't everyone interpret HYD differently?

I haven't seen Meteor Garden since it only has Chinese subtitles :cry: But it has good reviews though, however I was wondering what was the fuss about the second season? Is it not good? :unsure:

Then again, I could be bias since I think the new drama is pretty good XD

User avatar
gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1181
Joined: Dec 28th, '04, 18:56
Location: PL

Post by gunjourui » Nov 10th, '05, 10:47

fybabe: what program do I need to open this file? :unsure:

and about reading: I don't think Japanese need more than 5 seconds per page. it's different when you read it in japanese coz Kanji are not really a text but part of a picture. so they just need one look at the page and they move to the next one. (ok this is what my friend said some time ago :P he's doing research on manga reading and manga translation so I believe that what he said was true)

User avatar
Kathleen
Posts: 239
Joined: Oct 21st, '05, 22:59

Post by Kathleen » Nov 10th, '05, 11:03

I am quite sensitive. -_-* But I didn't mean to pick up a fight, nor did I feel offended or anything in this matter. I was just wondering how you could read so quickly.
Did you read the English translation of Hanadan? Because one reason why it took me somewhat longer to read Hanadan compared to Kare Kano or Furuba was that I first read some fan translations which were incomplete and had a lot of errors like 2 panels having the same lines or grammar mistakes. There were also quite a lot of panels still in Kana. I read Kare Kano and Furuba in German (which is my first language) and I don't remember any part that I needed to re-read.
some pages in hana yori dango took a split second to read, because it was like a spread of art illustrating AGAIN what happened on the previous page!!

That's right though. :| I was always kind of confused about those pages. What on earth was Kamio-sensei thinking? She could've come up with some better filler pages.

Btw, I'm not really a shoujo fan either. In fact love stories often enough give me the creeps. (No offence to anyone who reads this.) Hanadan is one of the very few exceptions that I like. And in the case you're wondering about Kare Kano and Furuba: Both came in a TB that I first got for free. So I thought I might as well read the stories. In the end those two kind of left me hooked up (plus Skip Beat! which is one of my favourites ^^).
But you're right, enough of it now. :mrgreen:

fybabe
Posts: 79
Joined: Jun 2nd, '05, 13:14

Post by fybabe » Nov 10th, '05, 11:58

yamatsumi wrote:fybabe: what program do I need to open this file? :unsure:

and about reading: I don't think Japanese need more than 5 seconds per page. it's different when you read it in japanese coz Kanji are not really a text but part of a picture. so they just need one look at the page and they move to the next one. (ok this is what my friend said some time ago :P he's doing research on manga reading and manga translation so I believe that what he said was true)
just any media player.
open the file from the media player will be fine.

kathleen, normally i would read every page or sentence of a manga. but when the story of that part didn't appeal to me, i will skip it.
maybe everything about hanadan manga appeals to you, but not to me. personal prefs here...

User avatar
Kathleen
Posts: 239
Joined: Oct 21st, '05, 22:59

Post by Kathleen » Nov 10th, '05, 12:11

fybabe wrote:maybe everything about hanadan manga appeals to you, but not to me. personal prefs here...
Not at all. As you said some parts are too predictable and long winded. Furthermore I think especially Tskushi's actions are often exaggerated and unrealistic. But as I generally do enjoy the story (and also once I decide I like the story) I at least give each chapter / dialogue / panel a try. This is more about reading habits.

User avatar
gunjourui
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1181
Joined: Dec 28th, '04, 18:56
Location: PL

Post by gunjourui » Nov 10th, '05, 12:24

fybabe wrote: just any media player.
open the file from the media player will be fine.
I don't know why but I downloaded it as PHP file (what's that anyway??) but I just changed it to avi and it works now :P

gosh this was really cute and nicely done!! thanks for the link :salut:

can someone translate those sentences at the end?
Last edited by gunjourui on Nov 10th, '05, 12:33, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kathleen
Posts: 239
Joined: Oct 21st, '05, 22:59

Post by Kathleen » Nov 10th, '05, 12:30

Uh, it finally worked for me, too. I was thinking of making a MVC, too but I thought it's kind of too early as there aren't enough good scenes yet. But considering there are only 3 episodes so far, this is really good. I especially like the ending. Makes me kind of sad. Hm...

fybabe
Posts: 79
Joined: Jun 2nd, '05, 13:14

Post by fybabe » Nov 10th, '05, 12:51

what was written at the end of the clip is:
"For the boy who's waiting pitifully in the rain...
For all of you who wish they can end up together.
From someone who aches for them: Fei Baobei (Qin zi i guess)"

Geez... She's really taken in by that rain scene... sweet!

moonlit
Posts: 46
Joined: Oct 9th, '05, 06:05
Location: Canada

Post by moonlit » Nov 10th, '05, 20:09

What Chinese site is this? Do you have a link?? And also how do you watch the Chinese subtitles, I tried d/ling it once and I couldn't get it to work. I love the little clip, the background music is so sweet and sad; if I'd never seen the Japanese version I would sooooo want to watch the show just because of this clilp!!

User avatar
Usagoness
Posts: 39
Joined: Jun 19th, '05, 15:25

Post by Usagoness » Nov 10th, '05, 21:23

there is a rumour saying that this drama was being planned years ago, (maybe 3-4 yrs ago) after the original hana youri dango was aired.....(i think the one with fujiki naohito played hanazawa rui)..
and the first actor to be chosen to play as Doumyouji Tsukasa is Tomoya Nagase, then it was changed to Oshio manabu......then, i dun know what happened, this project was being delayed due to some problems.........and then finally, Matsumoto Jun was chosen to potray Doumyuji tsukasa....lucky guy... :lol

User avatar
makino_sanbr
Posts: 219
Joined: Aug 6th, '04, 02:10
Location: Brazil
Contact:

Post by makino_sanbr » Nov 10th, '05, 22:22

fybabe wrote:of course i skip some pages!
if i don't, i would have given up on the whole story by, i donno, the first few books? coz some scenarios are just too predictable or too corny or too long winded.
I think that everybody that dislike or likes HYD manga agree about the firsts manga numbers had a terrible art...Yoko Kamio was so terrible.. :whistling:
But after some while... even people that don't like HYD (and like manga art) agree that the draw was getting better and better.. and is a beautiful art.
About the manga history.. serious... is what is on the Drama... is good because HYD is good :P
Has some parts that are predictable... yes of course..like thousands of mangas, books, dramas..
but HYD for me is different.. is the kind of history that the characters grown in your hearth and make you think about then like someone that you know...
that make you cried and smile every time that you read again..
i like to read mangas.. i like furuba.. not so much karekano...
And so my friend that read.. we are used to read mangas.. so i think that make more easy to get some parts and language...

User avatar
Kathleen
Posts: 239
Joined: Oct 21st, '05, 22:59

Post by Kathleen » Nov 10th, '05, 22:26

aizawa wrote:there is a rumour saying that this drama was being planned years ago, (maybe 3-4 yrs ago) after the original hana youri dango was aired.....(i think the one with fujiki naohito played hanazawa rui)..
and the first actor to be chosen to play as Doumyouji Tsukasa is Tomoya Nagase, then it was changed to Oshio manabu......then, i dun know what happened, this project was being delayed due to some problems.........and then finally, Matsumoto Jun was chosen to potray Doumyuji tsukasa....lucky guy...
Where did you get this information from? I thought Hanadan was some sort of stopgap as the tv station had nothing else for november / december. Didn't anyone write that in this thread?
Which "original Hana yori Dango" are you talking about? The Live Action Movie? If so, it's been 12 years already.
However, as much as I think Jun makes a really good Doumyouji (acting wise) that Tomoya Nagase looks much hotter and would suit the role better in terms of outer appearance. That's if he always looks like in your avatar. Gee, he's hot. Gotta look for some pictures right now. :mrgreen:

Edit:
Goodness gracious me! :notworthy: He's so hot...
Image
His looks and Jun's acting... That'd be... :wub:

Edit #2:
Image
I know I sound like a fangirl (which I never was - at least not of J-stars) but.... I WANT HIM! I'm dead serious. How can somebody be so hot? XD
Last edited by Kathleen on Nov 11th, '05, 00:20, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest