[Discussion] Trick (All Seasons + Special)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.

How would you rate Trick (All Season or One Season)?

It's magical!
71%
I learned a a Trick or two!
18%
I find out that magic is fake!
3%
I have been Trick-ed into watching!
6%
David Blaine is REAL!
2%

Total votes: 207

juki
France

Post by juki » Nov 4th, '14, 08:18

A great movie for all Trick fans.
A lot of references, all the actors from the 3 seasons, can't be disappointed. Yes it becomes a little slow in the middle. Not perfect but well managed and makes sense. And sure, the last minutes are wonderful. :cry:
Thanks again for the translation !
Not really a trick episode as we used to watch I think, but more a tribute and a farewell to all the things we loved... Okaaasssaaamma :-) ... I found it very satisfying for an ending of such a great drama.

shosef

Post by shosef » Nov 5th, '14, 15:58

Thank u so much for the subs yurayura... Trick is one of the dramas that's really close to my heart...aside from entertaining, watching it was also a memorable one because of my niece when she was younger... How time flies.. And up to now she still watches it wid me if she had d time...
Although it really wasn't like the previous installments.. I still love it....bcuz at d end i saw something that made me tear up...

famitsu1

Post by famitsu1 » Nov 5th, '14, 18:30

Massive thanks for all your hard work with the softsubs, it's hugely appreciated.
Fingers firmly crossed that Yabe S2 gets subbed at some point soonish now.

DoramasORB
Brazil

Post by DoramasORB » Nov 7th, '14, 12:02

I really want to thank you for your hard work. I was afraid we couldn't see the real end of this awesome series so soon...
By the way, the end of the movie is by far the best part...imho.....really nostalgic....
Now, I agree that would be nice if somebody could sub the second season of yabe kenzo, that way we could finally say that everything related to trick was finished....
anyway...again, thank you!

Avallac'h
Fansubber
Fansubber
Russia

Post by Avallac'h » Nov 7th, '14, 13:03

Thank you very much for the subs, yurayura!

Mwulf

Post by Mwulf » Nov 8th, '14, 08:12

Yurayura has inspired me. Kind of. Right now we have English-language subs for everything in the Trick-universe EXCEPT the second season of Keibuho Yabe Kenzo. Which is a shame, because that spin-off series is seriously FUNNY. So maybe I'll do something about it?

I've posted this in a few other places I thought relevant (the S1 subs thread and S2 ep1 torrent thread of the 720p rip I'm using):
I've noticed that there are Japanese subs for all of the 2nd season episodes. This is fantastic, because my Japanese is -terrible-. But I think having the actual text AND audio should make any translation effort on my part... well, feasible? Maybe? I can also use the Japanese subs as a base--which is good because they're already timed perfectly--which should make it even more, feasible. Yeah.

So, anyway, unless there's someone else who has already started to, finished, or intending to provide English-language subtitles for Keibuho Yabe Kenzo! Season 2, I'll give it a try myself.
I've also been re-watching Trick proper and there are a lot of problems, mostly of simple omission, with the Season 3 softsubs. Maybe later I'll try adding in the missing material and fixing some of themistranslations (so many jokes that the subs just ignore), but that may be too hard a job.

Anyway, assuming no one contacts me to inform me of a parallel effort, I hope to toss out a translation of the subs for Keibuho Yabe Kenzo 2's first episode within a week or so.

famitsu1

Post by famitsu1 » Nov 9th, '14, 22:56

Pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Mwulf, that would be utterly brilliant and totally appreciated.

RetroHelix
Germany

Post by RetroHelix » Nov 26th, '14, 19:26

Mwulf wrote:Yurayura has inspired me. Kind of. Right now we have English-language subs for everything in the Trick-universe EXCEPT the second season of Keibuho Yabe Kenzo. Which is a shame, because that spin-off series is seriously FUNNY. So maybe I'll do something about it?

I've posted this in a few other places I thought relevant (the S1 subs thread and S2 ep1 torrent thread of the 720p rip I'm using):
I've noticed that there are Japanese subs for all of the 2nd season episodes. This is fantastic, because my Japanese is -terrible-. But I think having the actual text AND audio should make any translation effort on my part... well, feasible? Maybe? I can also use the Japanese subs as a base--which is good because they're already timed perfectly--which should make it even more, feasible. Yeah.

So, anyway, unless there's someone else who has already started to, finished, or intending to provide English-language subtitles for Keibuho Yabe Kenzo! Season 2, I'll give it a try myself.
I've also been re-watching Trick proper and there are a lot of problems, mostly of simple omission, with the Season 3 softsubs. Maybe later I'll try adding in the missing material and fixing some of themistranslations (so many jokes that the subs just ignore), but that may be too hard a job.

Anyway, assuming no one contacts me to inform me of a parallel effort, I hope to toss out a translation of the subs for Keibuho Yabe Kenzo 2's first episode within a week or so.
I'm currently working on the subs for season 3 (4th Episode half done). I retime every line and for the untranslated dialogs I leave the autotranslation of the korean subs in the subtitle file. Translators can easily edit it this way later. There are hundreds of new lines to translate btw. Just so you know.

Mwulf

Post by Mwulf » Nov 30th, '14, 17:51

Cool. I looked at the sub's for the S3 episodes and quickly gave up. The timing in the SRTs never seemed to match with the timing of the actual video file. Anyway, good luck to ya'. It certainly is a lot of lines that need to be added. Are you also editing some of the already-translated lines?

Anyway, while you're at it, I'd appreciate it if you could remember to change the "wrong" name for Slit Mikako that Yamada uses. The old sub's romanize it as "skat" but it should be "scat" (for the joke).

Anyway, I never heard back so I'm gonna get working on the Have translations. In earnest, that is. Its a busy time of year so it'll take me a while, but unless I get hospitalized (a possibility) or something i'll have the first ep done by Christmas.

hey9

Post by hey9 » Nov 30th, '14, 22:31

yurayura, thanks so much for doing the subs, I finally get some closure lol.

Mwulf, awesome to hear, I will watch as I'm already feeling sad there's gonna be no more to the series.

RetroHelix, thank you for reworking Season 3. I will rewatch with the new subs when they're out.

So nice to see this series get so much love from fansubbers :)

My thoughts on the ending:
For me, Trick's appeal has never been about the story. The wordplay is always lost on me, too. It's always been about the characters. I expected more - I wanted something akin to "BANANA BOAT!". They didn't properly explain how Yamada survived the blast, or if she survived it at all. I know the implication is she did, but the idea that she might be a ghost was too sad for me. I want 100% assurance...

So happy to see Ishihara again, even if it was a weird cameo. The parallel shots of Nao doing the same trick again made me teary eyed. And Onitsuka Chihiro, I'll always associate her with Trick.

Honestly...they need to make another movie haha.

uedajirou

Post by uedajirou » Dec 1st, '14, 01:23

Imo, the chemistry of ALL the characters are indeed the strength of this drama.
They even already have their strength chemistry since day 1, and till now. Even with
gaps during shooting, their chemistry is still strong as ever.

However, the joke (particularly the joke that plays with japanese word/sentence/culture particularly) is also another strength of this drama, which other drama seems fail to do with same success.
The chemistry is really more than sufficient (and in fact works wonders) to make us enjoy the drama, but the joke also brings this whole drama to even a much higher level.

hey9

Post by hey9 » Dec 1st, '14, 05:53

uedajirou wrote:Imo, the chemistry of ALL the characters are indeed the strength of this drama.
They even already have their strength chemistry since day 1, and till now. Even with
gaps during shooting, their chemistry is still strong as ever.

However, the joke (particularly the joke that plays with japanese word/sentence/culture particularly) is also another strength of this drama, which other drama seems fail to do with same success.
The chemistry is really more than sufficient (and in fact works wonders) to make us enjoy the drama, but the joke also brings this whole drama to even a much higher level.
With the wordplay, it's hard for me to grasp because I don't speak Japanese. If subbers provide footnotes on it, I have to stop the video and read it. Whatever language, if a joke needs to be explained, at lot of the impact is lost imo. Plus, there is always something inherently lost in translation.

I've watched a few shows that also rely on wordplay (Kudo Kankuro dramas come to mind), and I can't bring myself to like them because I don't like the characters or story enough to keep me interested. Trick is really one-of-a-kind.

yurayura

Post by yurayura » Dec 6th, '14, 15:57

hey9 wrote: My thoughts on the ending:
For me, Trick's appeal has never been about the story. The wordplay is always lost on me, too. It's always been about the characters. I expected more - I wanted something akin to "BANANA BOAT!". They didn't properly explain how Yamada survived the blast, or if she survived it at all. I know the implication is she did, but the idea that she might be a ghost was too sad for me. I want 100% assurance...
Welp, more ending talk.
I'm pretty sure Naoko survived the explosion the same way she survived the box explosion thing at the beginning of the movie. Basically, stuff explodes and then a trapdoor is activated, which drops the person safely down some kind of passageway. While the movie doesn't specify where Naoko ended up, she probably hit her head on the way down and explains how she (supposedly) lost her memory. The memory loss thing is implied, but I'm fairly sure that's what happened. So yeah - Naoko is pretty alive. Just with amnesia and all. And from there, they could totally make more Trick :lol

uedajirou

Post by uedajirou » Dec 6th, '14, 16:24

hey9 wrote:yurayura, thanks so much for doing the subs, I finally get some closure lol.

Mwulf, awesome to hear, I will watch as I'm already feeling sad there's gonna be no more to the series.

RetroHelix, thank you for reworking Season 3. I will rewatch with the new subs when they're out.

So happy to see Ishihara again, even if it was a weird cameo. The parallel shots of Nao doing the same trick again made me teary eyed. And Onitsuka Chihiro, I'll always associate her with Trick.

I just realize that you have big misconception there
Naoko is 100% alive. The news of her being amnesiac was implied when Yabe was told about the girl who lost her memory . That was most probably her. Beside, there had been no ghost appearing in the movie, so it doesnt make sense why Naoko will appear as ghost. Even her mother who has strong supernatural ability, knows that she is alive and that she probably tell Ueda because she knows Ueda is worried abt her. The ending was IMO really beautiful, and probably the best thing of the movie or even the whole series. My biggest regret would be the ending only involve Yamada and Ueda. They forget that Yabe and Naoko's mother was a really important characters in the whole series.

hey9

Post by hey9 » Dec 6th, '14, 20:11

uedajirou wrote:
hey9 wrote:yurayura, thanks so much for doing the subs, I finally get some closure lol.

I just realize that you have big misconception there
Naoko is 100% alive. The news of her being amnesiac was implied when Yabe was told about the girl who lost her memory . That was most probably her. Beside, there had been no ghost appearing in the movie, so it doesnt make sense why Naoko will appear as ghost. Even her mother who has strong supernatural ability, knows that she is alive and that she probably tell Ueda because she knows Ueda is worried abt her. The ending was IMO really beautiful, and probably the best thing of the movie or even the whole series. My biggest regret would be the ending only involve Yamada and Ueda. They forget that Yabe and Naoko's mother was a really important characters in the whole series.
I think the show tends to have the main story be a hoax, but there's always some weird thing that's never explained and leaves the viewer wondering if supernatural things do exist. For Final Stage, I see that thing as whether Naoko is alive or not. It seems kind of crazy that she survived that explosion - that's the type of thing that requires explanation. Also, why wouldn't her mother tell Ueda sooner. And even tho they haven't shown a ghost, that would be kind of the ultimate finale wouldn't it lol.

I prefer to think you are right :lol

Cephus

Post by Cephus » Dec 21st, '14, 01:29

Thank you so much for subbing this, it's been a long time coming but I'm happy to finally see the last of Trick!

:tv: :w000t:

lingyi

Post by lingyi » Jan 26th, '15, 23:16

Woot! My first post to this great forum!

Watched this last night (didn't realize it's been 14 years since the beginning!) and even though the ending was bittersweet, it still bothered me that this was the end of our wonderful Naoko! Or was it?
yurayura wrote:
Welp, more ending talk.
I'm pretty sure Naoko survived the explosion the same way she survived the box explosion thing at the beginning of the movie. Basically, stuff explodes and then a trapdoor is activated, which drops the person safely down some kind of passageway. While the movie doesn't specify where Naoko ended up, she probably hit her head on the way down and explains how she (supposedly) lost her memory. The memory loss thing is implied, but I'm fairly sure that's what happened. So yeah - Naoko is pretty alive. Just with amnesia and all. And from there, they could totally make more Trick :lol
+1 on the above comments:
There definitely is a trap door below the platform she's standing on. If you watch the explosion scene frame by frame you can see that the platform collapses and she drops down into a large hole where the boulder (the platform was built on) was. Even at normal speed I noticed something was odd about the scene (fully expecting a miraculous escape). Given that this scene was definitely CGI, this was a nice little nod of assurance to us that she survived.

As for Yabe, it makes sense that he would be called back to Malaysia to help an amnesiac woman because she remembers his name, though it's unclear what else she remembers. Satomi (Naoko's mother), has a psychic connection to Naoko and knows that shes alive. Though whether she knows Naokos returned to Japan is unknown.
Thank you so much to yurayura for subbing this movie and everyone else who have worked so hard to sub this great series!

DoramasORB
Brazil

Re: [Discussion] Trick (All Seasons + Special)

Post by DoramasORB » Jan 27th, '15, 00:36

I don't really understand the doubts. Like it was said on the comment above,
it is pretty clear that she has survived the explosion falling down the platform just like the first magic trick on this movie that she performed.
And, I don't know if you all of guys saw the scene after the credits, but
she came back to Ueda (wanting more money from his new prize) and tried once again to fool him with her trick of the coin back there from the first episode...the difference is that for her this is their first meeting(since she lost her memory), but not for him!!! Once she does the same trick he even starts to cry remembering their past ....To me THE best scene!.....
and by the way, I don't think for one moment that she could be a Ghost...

hey9

Post by hey9 » Jan 27th, '15, 00:49

yurayura wrote:
Welp, more ending talk.
Omg none of the spoilers from the old forum work anymore lol...
Anyways, I completely missed your post. I hadn't noticed a trapdoor, I'll have to watch again. But that explanation makes way more sense than her somehow being blasted to safety.

madbot

Post by madbot » Feb 1st, '15, 14:34

Could someone point me the way to Keibuho Yabe Kenzo season 2..?

Been looking high and low without any luck... old links seem all gone. :cry:

dhisashi
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Feb 9th, '15, 19:23

madbot wrote:Could someone point me the way to Keibuho Yabe Kenzo season 2..?

Check your PM. Links to MEGA.

:-)

Cephus

Post by Cephus » Feb 28th, '15, 06:44

It's unfortunate that nobody decided to sub this series, at least not that I could find. As much as I adore Trick, this will be the only Trick-related series that I don't have in my collection.

dipdipdaisy

Post by dipdipdaisy » Jun 8th, '15, 16:33

is there anyone here?
I have just finished last stage last night, and, unfortunately, I watched it without subs, so I can only guess the plot.
About the ending of last stage, I think it is implied from the beginning that the trick she use will be escaping through a tunnel which can only be found out when the cave is blown up (or she have read about the escape in the cave paintings), I don't know how, but, movie logic.
I love the last scene. That expression on Ueda's face, I will difinitely never forget. So much of emotions showed on it. No doubt for such an experienced actor like him.
And no, she is not a ghost. Or? She said one year later she will come back, so he waited till the end of the day. Besides, it wasnt 12 yet. :lol But her mother's hesitation, I wonder what it meant. Maybe Naoko is a ghost now? And her mother knows that?
Another thing is, I dont know how all actors/actresses look almost exactly the same after 14 years. Except Abe, for him looking like an old man since the beginning.
It's sad (for me) that eventhough Naoko and her mother are probably psychic, but Naoko doesnt realize, or use it.

Hiimanshu

Post by Hiimanshu » Jul 3rd, '15, 07:09

http://www.dramanice.tv/drama/keibuho-y ... o-2-detail

quality is not good... but not that bad

Hiimanshu

Post by Hiimanshu » Jul 3rd, '15, 07:11

dipdipdaisy wrote:is there anyone here?
I have just finished last stage last night, and, unfortunately, I watched it without subs, so I can only guess the plot.
About the ending of last stage, I think it is implied from the beginning that the trick she use will be escaping through a tunnel which can only be found out when the cave is blown up (or she have read about the escape in the cave paintings), I don't know how, but, movie logic.
I love the last scene. That expression on Ueda's face, I will difinitely never forget. So much of emotions showed on it. No doubt for such an experienced actor like him.
And no, she is not a ghost. Or? She said one year later she will come back, so he waited till the end of the day. Besides, it wasnt 12 yet. :lol But her mother's hesitation, I wonder what it meant. Maybe Naoko is a ghost now? And her mother knows that?
Another thing is, I dont know how all actors/actresses look almost exactly the same after 14 years. Except Abe, for him looking like an old man since the beginning.
It's sad (for me) that eventhough Naoko and her mother are probably psychic, but Naoko doesnt realize, or use it.
http://www.dramanice.tv/drama/-trick-th ... age-detail

check it out

Cephus

Post by Cephus » Jul 15th, '15, 00:16

Hiimanshu wrote:

http://www.dramanice.tv/drama/keibuho-y ... o-2-detail

quality is not good... but not that bad
That's the raw, not the subtitle. Thanks anyhow.

xystarbucks

Post by xystarbucks » Jul 20th, '15, 12:11

This is the song at the end of Psychic Battle Royale in case anyone else is looking for it:

Singer: Ikumi Kumagai
YouTube:
itunes: https://itunes.apple.com/jp/album/id372713619

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » Aug 6th, '16, 07:49

I'm glad I watched this series. Quite a few funny moments. Hiroshi Abe's good at playing the goofball. I saw someone describe it as a cross between X-Files and Scooby Doo. The Scooby Doo part is accurate.

I didn't think much of Nakama in Musashi, but she looks good in Trick... except for the flat part.

XIG Fansubs

Post by XIG Fansubs » Aug 14th, '16, 10:41

I've subbed the first episode of Keibuho Yabe Kenzo 2. Please let me know what you think :) More information can be found there.

http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtop ... 3&t=162620

JackBauer2424

Post by JackBauer2424 » Aug 29th, '16, 06:17

I had no idea there was a Trick Shinsaku Special 3 since it's not listed in the wiki site. Does this exist without the stupid borders?

xiiliea

Post by xiiliea » Sep 1st, '16, 20:13

I've translated the ending song for Shinsaku Special 3, if anyone is interested. The lyrics are just amazingly beautiful.

http://wiki.tvnihon.com/wiki/Itsuka_Kitto

crmb

Post by crmb » Aug 22nd, '19, 14:10

Would like to thanks everybody who get involved into Trick' (series, movies..) subs !
I recently made torrent batches on nyaa. (I was checking d-addicts threads to get the correct credits for the various subs.)