Worst J-drama Ever! (*spoilers*)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
minifussy

Post by minifussy » Jul 11th, '08, 21:22

i dont know who here said galileo is crap... but it needs to be said - was one of the best j dramas of all time.

-excellent plot
-entertaining
-didnt have hundreds of young actors

an idea of the worst drama of all time... good example "here is greenwood".

...seriously people, the ideas you have of the worst dramas...looking down the list... - its as ridiculas as oguri shun being no 1 on the ugly thread.

akarasune

Post by akarasune » Jul 11th, '08, 21:39

omg, how can you say that stand up! was horrible? so far i've only notice females who say it's bad. i thought it was hilarious. maybe it's a guy thing

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Jul 11th, '08, 21:41

minifussy wrote:.- its as ridiculas as oguri shun being no 1 on the ugly thread.

battlegirlai

Post by battlegirlai » Jul 11th, '08, 21:46

Issy wrote:Itazura na kiss
i don't know what came on me and decided to watch this drama. not even that to finish. well, i try to give most of dramas its fair chance just in case it gets better.
but this drama was from start to finish a comeplete waste of time and total torture to watch. i think it was at the begining of making manga come to live action so it was totally crap.
i like takeshi in there, he was ok but the girl was just too much to handle. her annoying way of saying irie kun at end of her every sentense and shouting his name over and over and over, makes you :cussing: :cussing: :cussing:
that was a complete waste of time for me.
don't tell anyone........but i totally agree. and i was forced to watch it far far far far far too many times as i was the one assigned to finishing the series up. i thought i was going to kill myself or other people the whole time. the other mods had to smack me when i kept trying to replace the girl with pictures of chimps or howler monkeys.

the premise of the story makes me sick to my stomach. girl stalks and berates boy until he caves because his brain has been turned into complete mush from the constant pounding at his head from the girl to get him to like her. the girl was just such a god awful actress too...screeching and whining nonstop is not acting. its just annoying.

i like takashi...but there was so little for him to do in the role other than stand around and look annoyed or bored. all i can say is.......thank GOD they didn't make a second season.

----------------------------------

@minifussy - i loved galileo too. but i can see how many of the unresolved plot points and the randomness of the equation writing could start to annoy people. i'm a longtime fan of formulaic mystery shows so i'm immune to it, but many are not. they like to see things change up a bit from ep to ep and for tihngs to be resolved and everything make sense. its just personal opinions....just like my opinion that the oguri far more than earned his number 1 position on the ugliest j-actor.

remember, with dramas and actors, the best mantra is "to each their own" ^_^

vina.loves.sushi

Post by vina.loves.sushi » Jul 11th, '08, 22:50

akarasune wrote:omg, how can you say that stand up! was horrible? so far i've only notice females who say it's bad. i thought it was hilarious. maybe it's a guy thing

hey, i'm a girl but i totally enjoyed stand up, it was hilarious! :D :cheers:

tsumabukis

Post by tsumabukis » Jul 11th, '08, 22:55

I also don't understand the Stand Up!! hate... it was one of my favourite dramas of all time!

michca

Post by michca » Jul 11th, '08, 23:01

I don't think I would term it 'hate', I would just say more 'meh' and 'yawn'.

Of course, I also hearted Kimi wa Petto just because the plot was so bizarre and Jun did a phenom job in it, but everyone against it as well.

As battlegirlai said, "to each his own." So true! :)

battlegirlai

Post by battlegirlai » Jul 12th, '08, 00:05

i like that there is a place where people can say "i didn't like ____". when people try to do it in the discussion threads, they usually get argued with by everyone else in the thread and sometimes get accused of being trolls. but generally all they want to do is give an alternative opinion on the shows or people.

i actually prefer to read negative reviews and opinions about a show before watching it. people gush and say "omg it was great. the acting was superb, etc etc etc" but negative opinions can say "it was bleh, it dragged in the middle and the characters were one dimensional and such an such can't act to save his life." it doesn't stop me from watching the show. but it gives me more of a realistic expectation of what i might see. if i go into watching a show with that kind of mentality, i find i can enjoy shows that i otherwise might have ended up thinking "wow...that was overhyped...it wasn't nearly as good as everyone said"

paz

Post by paz » Jul 12th, '08, 00:20

You were right my friend...
but...

tsumabukis

Post by tsumabukis » Jul 12th, '08, 00:28

battlegirlai - I totally agree. There should definitely be a place for arguing about the crapness of certain dramas. :D This thread is pretty funny.

I don't know about other people, but I'm certainly not going to not watch a drama because of what people say on here. I'm watching Yukan Club as we speak, for example. :P (And I am finding that I do agree with a large portion of the sentiments on here though! :lol) Everyone should definitely get their own opinion of dramas, and not rely totally on others, either good or bad, to form their own opinion. :)

I just felt I had to stick up for Stand Up! cuz it was awesome. :D

Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Néa Vanille » Jul 12th, '08, 00:39

I'm a bit of an oddball as well, I loved Stand Up! and Kimi wa Petto both. I guess I'm just a fan of more imaginative storylines in general and both of these dramas had something that you just don't see every day. In contrast, I thought a lot of fan favourites (like for example HanaDan) were kind of bleh because of their generic plots.

Oh, and while it wasn't the worst ever, the drama that pissed me off the most is the recently completed Last Friends. Sweet Jesus, how did they manage to ruin a drama that had so much potential? I felt completely betrayed after I finished it.

Rori

Post by Rori » Jul 12th, '08, 07:04

I'm female and I loved Stand Up!! So it's not just you guys. :P

WARNING: CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR CERTAIN DRAMA & PROBABLY OFFENSIVE TO MAKI FANS. Move along if you don't want to see~

For me, but not what I would consider Worst Jdrama ever is Honey and Clover. It wasn't actually the drama itself, but the whole plot. (I don't think I'll be reading the manga) How utterly, utterly bored I got with it. This is mostly down to watching the two pumpkins; Yamada and Mayama that I had to put up with through the whole series. We have a girl here pining over a guy who is pining over a woman, for a reason which I don't know. Seriously, this Rika chick, what did Mayama see in her? Boring, boring as hell she was. Who also happened to be pining over her dead BF/husband, It didn't help having to watch Yamada drag after Mayama through the whole series. Seriously. Toma and Narimiya Hiroki saved this series for me, well it kept me watching to the end but: Hagumi, she's a pretty dull character too. I don't think it was Narumi Riko's fault for that, though. If I ever do read the manga, it won't be because of it's drama.

Last Friends let me down a whole lot too. From what the synopsis told me which I read before it aired: Michiru blah blah blah is a victim of domestic violence - continues on to explain Ruka/Takeru's situations. "The three of them become house mates and through their associations with others, gain the capacity to be positive about life." Where was this moving into the share house and becoming positive about life? Because I saw Michiru move out at least 3 times after that and run straight back to her nut of a boyfriend. There were happy moments in this drama but it was all overshadowed by everyones problems, which were all wrapped up neatly and tidy in the Finale after Sosuke finally pulled a knife on himself. Knowing that the producers sacrificed the storyline for Sosuke/Michiru beating sessions is pretty depressing since there wasn't much positiveness going on through this show. We had Ruka when not worrying over her GID can't make up her mind about Michiru. Takeru who is haunted by his creep of a big sis and Eri who can't decide what to do with herself or Ogurin. It was a pretty tiring show to watch, and I'm sad they wanted more Ryo throwing his girlfriend around then actually story and it's progression in this series.

HanaKimi... well I actually liked this, only problem is who the lead actress was.

Nobuta Wo Produce, despite it being the first Asian drama I ever watched and the one that got me into Jdrama in the first place, going back to it I have to say I really can't stand it. :| Nobuta was boring. Very, very boring. I liked the plot but the girl it was all centered on killed it for me. Again, the cast (beside Maki) saved this drama for me.

Yukan Club; watched it for Jin. Re-watch it for Jin. Couldn't agree more with Ladymercury.

Well when it comes to it, I don't really have a worst Jdrama of all time, and if I want to point out the things that annoyed me about a certain series I'd be here all day. :P

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Jul 12th, '08, 08:24

I have to say, after watching the last three episodes of Last Friends I felt betrayed as well. I just made a large ass rant over in the LF thread about, xD I so I wont repeat myself here.
Yukan Club; watched it for Jin. Re-watch it for Jin. Couldn't agree more with Ladymercury.
Yukan Club made me like Jin, I was really shocked since I can't stand KAT-TUN and was only watching it for Yokoyama Yuu.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Jul 12th, '08, 14:47

Another female who loved Stand Up here! As did my mother. So it's really not just a guy thing.
an idea of the worst drama of all time... good example "here is greenwood".

...seriously people, the ideas you have of the worst dramas...looking down the list... - its as ridiculas as oguri shun being no 1 on the ugly thread.
See, where you seem to look at Greenwood and dislike the drama, I look at it and say,

"They're doing this on a fraction of the budget that the major networks have. They can't afford famous or seasoned actors, but they're trying hard to portray the characters anyhow. The writing is almost slavishly following the manga instead of trying to completely change it the way other writers have. The locations are spot on from the original manga and anime. The bgm is even reminiscent of the anime bgm. I already expected a certain amount of cheese (and the anime and manga had camp and cheese too), and I'm having fun."

Thus, I really like Here Is Greenwood. Doesn't mean you have to. We simply have different standards of judging and different tastes. For a different drama, such as Galileo, we both enjoyed it. That's life. It's rather immature to imply that everyone else's ideas of what makes a drama enjoyable or unbearable are inferior to your own.
For me, but not what I would consider Worst Jdrama ever is Honey and Clover. It wasn't actually the drama itself, but the whole plot. (I don't think I'll be reading the manga) How utterly, utterly bored I got with it. This is mostly down to watching the two pumpkins; Yamada and Mayama that I had to put up with through the whole series. We have a girl here pining over a guy who is pining over a woman, for a reason which I don't know. Seriously, this Rika chick, what did Mayama see in her? Boring, boring as hell she was. Who also happened to be pining over her dead BF/husband, It didn't help having to watch Yamada drag after Mayama through the whole series. Seriously. Toma and Narimiya Hiroki saved this series for me, well it kept me watching to the end but: Hagumi, she's a pretty dull character too. I don't think it was Narumi Riko's fault for that, though. If I ever do read the manga, it won't be because of it's drama.
I tried to watch the anime for Honey and Clover a few years back, and I felt bored by that too. I felt it spent a long time to go nowhere. There are two full seasons of it, iirc. Never attempted the manga. I had hoped that the compression for the drama would make it more palatable for me, and I genuinely like Toma, Narimiya, and some of the rest of the cast. Sadly, it was still boring... just without the over the top comedy to distract you from how much it actually dragged. I don't believe that "slice of life" has to mean... "plot goes nowhere", so I've simply resigned myself for never being a good match for this series. Apparently, the only incarnation I can stand is the movie, which isn't fantabulous... but it did have one section in it that I enjoyed where Hagu and Morita bonded through art. Real shame that Toma wasn't in that version instead of Sho, since I think Toma was a much better actor in the role.

BTW, my mom hates Maki too, so you've got a supporter right there. She spent all of Kurosagi wanting to rip Maki's head off, and she couldn't stand her in Hana Kimi or anything else we've seen her in either. :lol

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Jul 13th, '08, 07:54

akarasune wrote:omg, how can you say that stand up! was horrible? so far i've only notice females who say it's bad. i thought it was hilarious. maybe it's a guy thing
I am a female and I LOVED Stand Up! It was one of the funniest JDramas and I am trying to get my boyfriend to watch it because I know he will love it too! :D

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Jul 13th, '08, 14:59

I LOVED Stand Up, I went in watching Stand Up not a JE fangirl or a Shun Oguri fan and absolutely LOVED every bit of that drama. The amazoness girls, the drive to lose their virginity, the adults of that town, everything...

It was just amazing XD

poonk
United States of America

Post by poonk » Jul 15th, '08, 06:12

battlegirlai wrote:i like that there is a place where people can say "i didn't like ____". when people try to do it in the discussion threads, they usually get argued with by everyone else in the thread and sometimes get accused of being trolls. but generally all they want to do is give an alternative opinion on the shows or people.
I gotta agree with this-- I try to avoid going into a thread full of fans and basically telling them that I thought their favorite-series-ever was seriously lacking; I'm sort of from the "if-you-can't-say-anything-nice..." school of thought in that regard. But it's really informative to see alternate viewpoints. I wish I had time to go through all 37 pages of this thread (although some of my own favorites have come up-- Beach Boys, Galileo, ouch!-- but, of course, to each their own).

Random aside regarding Stand Up!!: I actually avoided this series for 2 years simply because somewhere along the way I read someone's comment that it was "like a Japanese version of the American Pie movies" (I don't know if the reviewer meant it as an insult or compliment, but I steered clear anyway). It wasn't until a month ago, when an online acquaintance recommended it, that I gave it a fair shot and hey, I really enjoyed it a lot. It's not as perverted as the premise makes it out to be; it's actually very sweet at its heart.

battlegirlai

Post by battlegirlai » Jul 15th, '08, 19:40

I don't want to turn this thread into a discussion about how great or crap Stand Up was.....its not really that sort of thread....but i'm female...and i hate Stand Up. not even the totally misguided attempts at giving me eyecandy made me not want to smack the heck out of every single character.

Archaenon

Post by Archaenon » Jul 15th, '08, 20:06

I don't see what being Female or Male has to do with liking StandUP! Makes no sense to me.
Stand Up! is one or my favorites , which led to me only liking Oguri Shun for his comedic roles ( Like Binbo ) rather then his "omg emo serious roles" for dramas. I still stand by the fact he's one of the ugliest J actors ever though. *waits to get bricked*

I'm adding "Here is Greenwood" to this so far. I wasn't impressed. It's giving me that "well we tried" vibe. Well off to watch ep 2 . It might turn out to be ok. I hate walking into dramas where yuo have to survive the initial eps for a good story , that's just poor writing right there.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Jul 15th, '08, 20:20

I don't think it's being male or female, it's being the topic of drama that people either like or dislike. I tried watching episode 1 and I'm not sure if I ever finished episode 2 but I found Stand Up a turn off. It's suppose to be a comedy but I found the kids idiotic rather than funny. But I guess it could just be the whole topic of the drama I didn't like. I prefer tasteful comedies and romance comedies. Although sometimes depends on the stupidity, some comedies are amusing still like HanaKimi. Probably not everyone's cup of tea but the wackiness is amusing. But I still preferred the manga.

Zealousy

Post by Zealousy » Jul 15th, '08, 20:41

I thought Rondo could use more romance in it. To be honest, I only watched it because Choi Ji-Woo was in it. It had a great amount of drama and action but it felt like the Romance was definitely deducted, it was like it was just crammed into it. :\

I also thought Attention Please was just horrible. It was funny at some parts but it wasn't that great.

damnsel

Post by damnsel » Jul 15th, '08, 22:35

weird to find gallileo here ... and for sexy voice and robo i find it actually entertaining ... i must admit it was ridiculous and shallow but i have to say it was fun and i learned a lot from it ... the actors did a good job and that is not only because i love matsuken ... lol ... ep 6 and 7 were the best ... the funniest ...

if there's a drama i didnt like i have to say nodame cantibile the girl was so messy and i just couldn't stand it ... i stop watching after the 1st and half eps ... i dont know ... to each of their own as one person said here ... :thumright:

kuro570

Re: Worst J-drama Ever! (*spoilers*)

Post by kuro570 » Jul 15th, '08, 22:52

doink-chan wrote:What is the absolute worst J-drama you've ever seen and why?

I'll probably have to pick Hitonatsu no Papa e. doinkies only watched this because it had Ueto Aya in it, and, well, Aya and the theme song sung by her was the only good thing about this drama.

Hitonatsu no Papa wasn't that bad imo >< hmm.. the worst i would have to say is Gokusen 3... It's just like Gokusen 1 and 2 its to much the same thing >.< way too predictable

aishoni2

Post by aishoni2 » Jul 16th, '08, 01:54

seirin wrote:I don't think it's being male or female, it's being the topic of drama that people either like or dislike. I tried watching episode 1 and I'm not sure if I ever finished episode 2 but I found Stand Up a turn off. It's suppose to be a comedy but I found the kids idiotic rather than funny. But I guess it could just be the whole topic of the drama I didn't like. I prefer tasteful comedies and romance comedies. Although sometimes depends on the stupidity, some comedies are amusing still like HanaKimi. Probably not everyone's cup of tea but the wackiness is amusing. But I still preferred the manga.
compared to Hanakimi, Stand Up!"s comedic jabs are more intelligent since it touches the japanese society view on sex in sarcastic ways. Whereas Hanakimi was just baiting for the laughs with pretty boys behaving idiotically. At first I thought Stand Up! was mindless to but after episode 6 or 7 only did I get what they were trying to convey. I guess that was the show flaw. And the acting in Stand Up! was WAY MORE refine than Hanakimi's pretty boys (even YamaPi expressionless face works). But I do love Hanakimi too. Very much ^^V

akarasune

Post by akarasune » Jul 16th, '08, 02:38

kuro570 wrote:
doink-chan wrote:What is the absolute worst J-drama you've ever seen and why?

I'll probably have to pick Hitonatsu no Papa e. doinkies only watched this because it had Ueto Aya in it, and, well, Aya and the theme song sung by her was the only good thing about this drama.

Hitonatsu no Papa wasn't that bad imo >< hmm.. the worst i would have to say is Gokusen 3... It's just like Gokusen 1 and 2 its to much the same thing >.< way too predictable
i thought gokusen 3 was totally unorthodox compared to seasons 1 and 2 so i thought it was great. ok, yankumi would always save the day, but it wouldn't be gokusen without it. the season started out with 2 crews, not just one leader. someone almost died! none of the main crew members knew about the yakuza thing until almost the last episode. and it ended right before summer break. we didn't even see the season through graduation like usual.

stand up!
alright, the whole female/male thing was because i only noticed females who said bad things about it before my post. but since then, i've noticed something else. only females living outside of the US say they like it!!???? huh?!! how about that?!! prove me wrong

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Jul 16th, '08, 04:11

akarasune wrote:
i thought gokusen 3 was totally unorthodox compared to seasons 1 and 2 so i thought it was great. ok, yankumi would always save the day, but it wouldn't be gokusen without it. the season started out with 2 crews, not just one leader. someone almost died! none of the main crew members knew about the yakuza thing until almost the last episode. and it ended right before summer break. we didn't even see the season through graduation like usual.
It's weird hearing people say that Gokusen 3 was bad just because it came after Gokusen 1 and 2. If you watch a show that repeats itself in just one season and you watch (voluntarily) three of them, it's hardly the show's fault you're bored. I know it's probably like blasphemy to say this, but season 3 was far more better than the earlier two. It was more fun, and funnier. The characters were more interesting (tho the main guys were pretty strange looking...). Maybe it's my bad taste, but it was one of the few japanese dramas that have made me laugh out loud. :)

Anyway, since this is a thread for negative opinions, I have to agree with all those people that thought Last Friends was really disappointing. Now that I've watched it, I can't really remember anything good about it. A bad ending really ruins the rest for you, ne? I guess it was too hyped up, and people expected too much of it. And nothing good ever comes out of high expectations.

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Jul 16th, '08, 06:24

aishoni2 wrote: compared to Hanakimi, Stand Up!"s comedic jabs are more intelligent since it touches the japanese society view on sex in sarcastic ways. Whereas Hanakimi was just baiting for the laughs with pretty boys behaving idiotically. At first I thought Stand Up! was mindless to but after episode 6 or 7 only did I get what they were trying to convey. I guess that was the show flaw. And the acting in Stand Up! was WAY MORE refine than Hanakimi's pretty boys (even YamaPi expressionless face works). But I do love Hanakimi too. Very much ^^V
I never got through ep2 of Stand up so I can't really tell if there were "intelligent" thought put into it. My first impression is mindless japanese high school kids all humping each other and bragging how many they humped. Then some guy wants to do opposite of what others are doing and pull his friends into it too although deep inside they rather do it. But as for HK acting less refined, well it would be better acting if they followed the manga. But since it's been changed to much, the whole theme has turned into mindless comedy like "dumb and dumber" so I wouldn't expect refined acting from it nor much of a plot. Story wise HK failed but as a mindless comedy with ikemen boys it was fun to watch.

atarashifuji

Post by atarashifuji » Jul 17th, '08, 06:38

DUDE! I love that show and I'm a female. It was freakin' hilarious. I made my mom go and buy the DVDs when she went Japan. Most Japanese dramas aren't meant to be taken seriously anyway, it's all for entertainment purposes. If you go in expecting an amazing storyline and oscar-worthy acting, you'll most likely be disappointed. But if you go in not really expecting anything, some of it might be more enjoyable or at least tolerable (because I found that a lot of times I think a show isn't worth it but in the end I actually enjoy it). Not saying that it WILL be, because there are some series that I couldn't sit through either and there are actors and actresses that bother me, but I don't know...it's entertainment, I don't expect anything out of it so I guess that's why I have either "low standards" or a "high tolerance" for it. Eh...as Ohno said: 人はそれぞれだよね。

TofuQueen

Post by TofuQueen » Jul 17th, '08, 07:02

akarasune wrote:stand up!
alright, the whole female/male thing was because i only noticed females who said bad things about it before my post. but since then, i've noticed something else. only females living outside of the US say they like it!!???? huh?!! how about that?!! prove me wrong
I'm a US female, & I thought it was pretty damn funny - not perfect, certainly, but parts were hilarious and there was some deeper meaning there as well (though it only really came out as the series progressed). So many grand plans/gestures crushed by reality...so many moments that still make me laugh just remembering... Totally, totally made fun of a lot of societal stereotypes and dramatic events as found in dorama/manga. :lol

I've seen a fair number, and maybe I'm just not critical enough, but I can't think of a j-dorama that I thought was simply awful. The worst that comes to mind at the moment is Majo no Jouken - I didn't feel ANY chemistry between the male & female leads, and it just seemed too stupid for the teacher to truly fall for the student (who tended to act more like a 12 year old, as if 15 or whatever wasn't young enough!! :crazy: ) I also didn't like A Million Stars Falling from the Sky, but that's a personal preference thing rather than thinking it was horrid. Antique Cake Store...well, the subs and video quality (on the version I saw) were soooo bad that it was hard to tell if the dorama itself was any good or not!!

Some of the others that have been mentioned, like Long Vacation and Slow Dance, I can definitely understand how they'd appeal more to an older audience (like me...) but though I enjoyed them I don't absolutely love them. IWGP, GTO, and Tiger & Dragon are among my all-time favorites, though I'm not particularly a Sorimachi or Nagase fan.
Last edited by TofuQueen on Jul 17th, '08, 09:34, edited 2 times in total.

sarah117

Post by sarah117 » Jul 17th, '08, 07:16

Ladymercury wrote:I have to say, after watching the last three episodes of Last Friends I felt betrayed as well.
yes, as you said, the last three episodes of Last Friends were quite disappointing, but it doesn't make it the WORST j-drama ever....at least for me. i still love it much, and it will always be my BEST jdrama ever.. :lol :lol

for me, the worst jdrama was Princess Princess. i couldn't even finish it..

TofuQueen

Post by TofuQueen » Jul 17th, '08, 09:32

please delete, accidentally hit "reply" instead of "edit" (>_<)

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Jul 19th, '08, 01:39

sarah117 wrote: for me, the worst jdrama was Princess Princess. i couldn't even finish it..
Oh... I forgot about that one... it was really HORRIBLE! I never made it through the second episode and I gave up... :glare:

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jul 19th, '08, 03:03

sarah117 wrote:
Ladymercury wrote:I have to say, after watching the last three episodes of Last Friends I felt betrayed as well.
yes, as you said, the last three episodes of Last Friends were quite disappointing, but it doesn't make it the WORST j-drama ever....at least for me. i still love it much, and it will always be my BEST jdrama ever.. :lol :lol
You DEFINITELY need to see more dramas. :sweat:

Rori

Post by Rori » Jul 19th, '08, 04:30

sarah117 wrote:for me, the worst jdrama was Princess Princess. i couldn't even finish it..
Couldn't even start it. :lol

--

And I'm sorry, but there is no way Gokusen 3 is better than either of it's previous seasons.

expanzee

Post by expanzee » Jul 19th, '08, 05:12

bmwracer wrote:
sarah117 wrote:
Hehe ... I second you on this. There are so many more dramas better than Last Friends. I myself thinks CHANGE is the best drama this season.

Back on topic, I think the worst drama I've ever watch in Princess Princess. I stop after like 15 minutes into the show. Kira Kira Kenshui and Teppan Shoujo Akane is also bad. My fandom for Horikita Maki also cannot save the drama.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jul 19th, '08, 07:18

expanzee wrote:Kira Kira Kenshui and Teppan Shoujo Akane is also bad. My fandom for Horikita Maki also cannot save the drama.
Kirakira Kenshui is a train wreck... I adore Konishi Manami-chan and she looks fabulous in this drama, but that's about it... She deserved better than this.

Gokusen 2/3 didn't even merit a viewing of the entire first episode: Story recycling at its very worst.... And it's really tarnished the first season and Nakama Yukie reputation, IMHO.

sarah117

Post by sarah117 » Jul 21st, '08, 06:49

bmwracer wrote:
sarah117 wrote:yes, as you said, the last three episodes of Last Friends were quite disappointing, but it doesn't make it the WORST j-drama ever....at least for me. i still love it much, and it will always be my BEST jdrama ever.. :lol :lol
hahaha.. maybe you are right. (me who thought having seen enough jdramas.. :P )
:offtopic: another drama that can be the BEST for me is 1 Litre of Tears.. :-)
about Gokusen, the first season is the best, n then another 2 are just the 'remake' of the first one.. :-(

Zvemi

Post by Zvemi » Jul 21st, '08, 07:50

For me Shimokita GLORY DAYS would be one of the worst. Fanservice, fanservice, fanservice and practically no story. On the other hand, I believe it does have its faithful audience :P

Arantius

Post by Arantius » Jul 21st, '08, 14:39

Zvemi wrote:For me Shimokita GLORY DAYS would be one of the worst. Fanservice, fanservice, fanservice and practically no story. On the other hand, I believe it does have its faithful audience :P
For me Hanakimi is synonym to fanservice ahaha..i don't know what made me stay watching that drama. certainly not the worst jdrama for me but really really close to it.

ZarakiLee

Post by ZarakiLee » Jul 27th, '08, 23:44

Is there any drama that just about everyone likes? Because it seems like when one person says they like a drama someone else has to disagree. If so, could someone recommend it to me. (I'm not being sarcastic)

Kazuya_

Post by Kazuya_ » Jul 28th, '08, 00:02

ZarakiLee wrote:Is there any drama that just about everyone likes? Because it seems like when one person says they like a drama someone else has to disagree. If so, could someone recommend it to me. (I'm not being sarcastic)
The topic of this thread is worst j-dramas, so of course this thread is about which dramas people disliked / hated for whatever reason. I think you would be hard pressed to find any single drama that is universally liked. For whatever reason, a drama one person likes someone else will hate for some reason.

An example for me would be Long Vacation. It is widely praised as one of the best dramas. I absolutely loved it and have watched it over and over, but I've heard people say that it was too slow or they couldn't relate to the plot.

So it goes. Everyone's different and have different tastes. There are certainly dramas that a consensus of folks loved but you'll never find one that is liked by everyone.

I would just suggest you watch what you like. Visit the recommendations thread http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_10409.htm
and search for things that interest you. Who cares what others may think of your viewing choices.

pn0yb0i

Post by pn0yb0i » Jul 28th, '08, 00:28

Code Blue - Popular Main Cast / Sub-par acting (down-syndrome 山P).

But I'm still watching it... but there are times where I don't want to turn on the TV just to watch it.

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Jul 28th, '08, 01:00

pn0yb0i wrote:Sub-par acting (down-syndrome 山P)
You took the words out of my mouth! :D I've watched quite a few dramas that Yamapi's been in, and he's always really mediocre or just downright bad. He basically has the same expression on his face all the time and he seems to play that same serious guy in every drama (well, expect for Nobuta where he was just annoying).

He hasn't ruined any dramas for me tho, and I even like Code Blue (tho I think a cat crawled on his head and died there).

ainhoa

Post by ainhoa » Jul 28th, '08, 03:12

I think Yamapi's only good acting job was in Nobuta. He was annoying, yeah, but likeable, and he surprisingly did a good job playing that role.

I'm so bored with the whole "cool, stoic" blah blah blah type that he has perfected.

Code Blue bores me. So did the last half of Last Friends.

Akiiness

Post by Akiiness » Jul 28th, '08, 03:42

I dare say it's somewhat true. Well, because seriously - I notice the girls who say 'kajhsdjshj it's so good' are the ones who are Yamapi fangirls. Next in line are the Nino/Oguri Shun fangirls.

ainhoa

Post by ainhoa » Jul 28th, '08, 04:44

Akiiness wrote: I notice the girls who say 'kajhsdjshj it's so good' are the ones who are Yamapi fangirls. Next in line are the Nino/Oguri Shun fangirls.

Oguri Shun is so unattractive in Stand Up.

Nino looks like he's 12.

and yeah Yamapi is hot (and Narimiya Hiroki too), you got me there. and Yamapi is probably the reason why I initially decided to watch Stand Up, but definitely not the reason I watched the whole thing and liked it (a lot). Dragon Zakura and Sore wa sjdkasl something are examples of Yamapi dramas that i fast forwarded through.

Stand Up starts out really ridiculous, and the plot summary sounds stupid, but once you get into it, the story and characters are all really endearing. not to mention the hilarity factor. It's actually a story about friendship and loyalty, that becomes obvious if you watch more than just the first couple episodes.

pn0yb0i

Post by pn0yb0i » Jul 28th, '08, 18:45

Stand Up! was great.

YP's acting (at best) was probably in IWGP (Ikebukoro West Gate Park) - due to spoilers, I'll just say his best acting scene was him falling out the locker.

As for worst drama... Princess Princess D - I couldnt stand the first half of the first episode - DOWNLOADED the whole batch, then deleted. I was watching this during the time Kamen Rider DEN-O was airing.

whatever0024

Post by whatever0024 » Jul 28th, '08, 20:43

akarasune wrote:I dare say it's somewhat true. Well, because seriously - I notice the girls who say 'kajhsdjshj it's so good' are the ones who are Yamapi fangirls.
Whenever I go through the reviews on here and on jdorama, I am usually hesitant about the dramas where there are numerous reviews saying "OMG! This is the best series, EVER!!!! [insert name] is so KAWAII!!!!!!!!!!"

I avoided Nobuta wo Produce because of the fangirls, but after my brother raved about it, I decided to give it a go. It turned out better than I expected. I liked how the focus was primarily on the strong friendship among the three friends.

I almost gave up on Yaoh because the first few episodes were just so bad. The overly dramatic music, I felt, was too overpowering and the acting wasn't all that great. However, after the fifth/sixth episode, it got better.I think this was because of the cancer storyline. I just didn't like it.

Kathstandsalone

Post by Kathstandsalone » Jul 29th, '08, 01:29

whatever0024 wrote: I avoided Nobuta wo Produce because of the fangirls, but after my brother raved about it, I decided to give it a go. It turned out better than I expected. I liked how the focus was primarily on the strong friendship among the three friends.
Sometimes, just go ahead and watch a drama without letting others influence you. :D

Anyway, I mentioned some dramas i didnt like in a few pages back, and i suddenly remember one more to add to the list!

1 pound of gospel. I watched until episode 4? and i stopped. thought it'd be a waste of my time to continue watching. :roll

Jillibean

Post by Jillibean » Jul 29th, '08, 03:24

I don't think I've ever watched one that I really disliked... but Dragon Zakura rubbed me the wrong way, for whatever reason. I honestly don't even know why I didn't like it that much, because I loved GTO and Gokusen, and I wasn't really comparing it with them.

I dunno, I just found myself watching for the sake of completion but not really enjoying the series. (Teppei was cute, though)

EDIT: And in response to earlier comments, I recently watched Stand Up!! and absolutely adored it. I was a bit apprehensive to watch it at first, because I heard somewhere that it was basically a Japanese "American Pie", but after a few episodes (because it did take me a while to get into the type of humour they were using) I couldn't stop watching :)
Last edited by Jillibean on Jul 29th, '08, 12:51, edited 1 time in total.

ainhoa

Post by ainhoa » Jul 29th, '08, 11:33

Yeah, Dragon Zakura bored me. I just watched it to see yamapi in a wifebeater.

GTO > Gokusen > every other school drama > Dragon Zakura

airskape

Post by airskape » Jul 29th, '08, 13:05

i'd like to add code blue to the list
great cast but i absolutely cannot get into any of their characters

galatia66

Post by galatia66 » Jul 29th, '08, 21:49

hi everyone! let me first start out with the series that i finished and as a result, became violent and world-hating XD. i'll try to comment on the series if i remember anything about them or maybe they're just so horrible that they're blocked from my memory. OK! *drumrolls* here they are in no particular order:

1. usokoi- i love yukie, but that drama was just so horrid =( i watched it a while ago and all i remember was not liking it
2. tokyo wankei - OMG this was beyond boring! what a friggin' waste of my time.
3. hatachi no kekkon - someone kill me please
4. SOS - kill me again please
5. to heart - it was just so lame. i love tsuyoshi, but some parts were so wrong. and kyoko was as annoying as heck.
6. teppan shoujo akane - that was so lame. i can't believe i actually watched through all that. normally i can stand lame. sailormoon is ok for me. but i don't know why, i couldn't stand this series
7. love revolution - i like makiko. and is it just me but naohito perfectly fits a player's image. anyways, the melodrama was just too much for me. and i did not care for the characters (except for makiko)
8. love generation - one of the early ones i watched. i was incredibly annoyed with matsuko's character and i felt so bad for takuya's character. bleh
9. taiyou no uta - sadly, like... nothing happened in this drama. it had a great cast. but the story. ... is non-existing.
10. boku dake no madonna - *laments for takki* i don't like hasegawa (?)
11. cheap love - o takashi, what a crappy, unrealistic, crappy drama u were in. =(
12. with love - o how i despise that female character. every time she says "teru teru bouzu", *shudders* it's like fingernails scratching a chalkboard
13. itoshi kimi e - i love u miho, but even you could not save this drama. *shudders at the naohito*
14. yamato nadeshiko - the only thing i enjoyed in there was looking at nanako
15. fukigen na gene - basically nothing happened. but at least i like yuko
16. heaven's coins 3 - horrible haphazard story and no character chemistry imo
17. blackjack ni yoroshiku - i was incredibly disappointed with this one.
18. oishii proposal - so cliche.

and the series that i could not even finish.
1. kiken na aneki - omg misaki, you are NOT funny. and you are NOT cute. please stop it
2. you're under arrest - omg misaki, you are NOT funny. and you are NOT cute. please stop it XD in a span of many years, i tried to watch the first 2-3 episodes several times. this last time i tried and it was unsuccessful again. then i just realized i'll never watch it, so i threw it away.

Akiiness

Post by Akiiness » Jul 30th, '08, 06:26

galatia66 wrote:14. yamato nadeshiko - the only thing i enjoyed in there was looking at nanako
Sadly. I have to agree with that, but I've seen worse dramas. It's just that Tsutsumi Shinichi in an all-out romance drama was a bit awkward.

BTW, that's a whole lot of romance dramas you've listed.

pn0yb0i

Post by pn0yb0i » Jul 30th, '08, 06:36

galatia66 wrote: 1. kiken na aneki - omg misaki, you are NOT funny. and you are NOT cute. please stop it
I managed to finish it. But yes, Misaki played a mere accessory in this one. Lead actor was great though.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jul 30th, '08, 13:26

Akiiness wrote:BTW, that's a whole lot of romance dramas you've listed.
Maybe that's one of the problems: there's not much freshness in that drama department and most of what does exist is contrived. :sweat:

galatia66

Post by galatia66 » Jul 30th, '08, 17:15

Akiiness wrote:It's just that Tsutsumi Shinichi in an all-out romance drama was a bit awkward.

BTW, that's a whole lot of romance dramas you've listed.
i liked shinichi in sailor fuku to kikanjuu :wub: . but he was so weak in yamato nadeshiko and i was not interested in his character at all. i barely even remember his character XD

and you know what? i LOVE romance. i guess i just expect more from them, especially with so many romance dramas out there.

«minah»

Post by «minah» » Jul 30th, '08, 17:48

Man, you know I was never ever going to join another forum after the last one I was on and.... this thread made me really wanna post.

Well, I see (from the last few pages I read) not many people likes HanaKimi lol and after reading everyone opinions, it was a favorite of mine either.. I just liked Toma. And not many people seem to like Honey and Clover.... and again, in the end, I liked it because of Toma haha... ^_^U But yeah, I didn't like Hugo that much and after reading her manga/anime counterpart, she seems nothing like them..... And yah, the love triangle thing was very bothersome. But um, my list of dramas I really didn't like:

Princess Princess - Well... um.... when I first saw it, I was like "What's going on?!" Because it just seemed like stuff just... going on haha. I watched 3 episodes, and that was it. It just sucked, and I know I don't want to watch the anime or read the manga. I really didn't think the story was exactly interesting, and I just can't believe guys would go to that level just to get girls in a school.... weeeird.

Vampire Host - I think that's the name of the series... or Vampire gigolo or whatever. Just by watching the opening... I was like... "This sucks... and I didn't even really watch the show!" But I couldn't go past the cheeseyness of the show. I watched a little, but it just wasn't for me.

Gokusen 3 - Well, I understand it's a big show in Japan, which is why I can't say "They need to stop making new seasons of season 1" because I feel like, well, it's made for the Japanese audience, not really for us oversea fans. With that said, I'm just not a fan of repeats... It's the same formula every episode. Each main character student have their "coming of age" episode or something, and Yankumi comes in like superman and saves the day for her students, while not trying to be discovered her family is part of the yakuza. I think if there is a next season, she should teach a classroom of girls. That will be hilarious! And a different take on the show. But like I said, it's for the Japanese viewers, and if they like it how it's been going.... then ok ^_^ Oh yeah, the guy who played Ogata... grrr! He makes me so mad. He looks like a wannabe so much! Just, if I saw him walking down the street, I wouldn't be scared of him. And he's not very cute. And then the guy who plays Ren. I just can't take him seriously. I first saw him on 14 year old mother, and he was like.... a meek scared guy and now he's tough. It's just weird for me ^_^UU

First Kiss - Well, I saw a one episode, and the main character jsut annoyed me. I just don't like her attitude... even if she has a disease that can kill her. I know people say you should give a drama more of a chance and watch more of it, but, it just came off bad to me.

Zettai Kareshi - It was a let down for me. I was happy it was going to be made into a drama... But I don't like Riiko and her attitude. She's a meanie to everyone around her. And a bit.... stupid in my opinion. If you're going to spend $1 million on anything, I think it should get treated very well, no matter what it is.

But yeah, that's my rant on shows I don't like too much. Sorry it's long, and hi everyone.

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Aug 1st, '08, 05:14

galatia66 wrote: 15. fukigen na gene - basically nothing happened. but at least i like yuko
I am watching this now and I really like it! Maybe it is made for an "older generation". I really like the characters and I like the chemistry with the leads. It is more like watching real life rather than crazy over the top things that can happen in some dramas.

plain_love

Post by plain_love » Aug 1st, '08, 05:45

«minah» wrote:Zettai Kareshi - It was a let down for me. I was happy it was going to be made into a drama... But I don't like Riiko and her attitude. She's a meanie to everyone around her. And a bit.... stupid in my opinion. If you're going to spend $1 million on anything, I think it should get treated very well, no matter what it is.
i couldn't agree with you, for me zettai kareshi is one of the best dorama in 2008 (i haven't watch last friend and bara no nai hana ya, which almost everyone say it is really good). since episode 1 i already fall in love with Mokomichi character, he is so funny and annoying at the same time. The storyline is just great, you'll find romance, comedy, and action in a perfect balance.

plain_love

Post by plain_love » Aug 1st, '08, 05:49

galatia66 wrote: 4. SOS - kill me again please
5. to heart - it was just so lame. i love tsuyoshi, but some parts were so wrong. and kyoko was as annoying as heck.
i agree with that, that dorama really boring, i just watch 3 ep for SOS and just 1 ep for To Heart. And yes Kyoko Fukada was really annoying

nikkibell84

Post by nikkibell84 » Aug 1st, '08, 05:58

Even if I dislike a drama, if I start it I do try and finish it. Because, a lot of people worked really hard to get it on the air. But, there are two (fairly) recent dramas that I couldn't finish. They were/are really popular, but they just were no good in my eyes. Honestly, it mostly had to do with the writing and some of the acting from the leads:

Proposal Daisakusen - To be honest, I think a lot of it had to do with Nagasawa Masami's character - she rubbed me the wrong way.

Last Friends - It was just too much of everything. I found the drama too melo and half the characters annoying.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Aug 1st, '08, 13:38

nikkibell84 wrote:Last Friends - It was just too much of everything. I found the drama too melo and half the characters annoying.
I don't think it's the worst drama I've ever seen, but it's gotta be one of the most frustrating ones...

katzenjammin'

Post by katzenjammin' » Aug 1st, '08, 14:04

The worst drama I've seen, and one of the first I've watched was "S.O.S." It was so. Bad. I agree with everyone on that one.

I've tried to stomach "Hanazakari no Kimi-tachi e" so many times, but it's so over the top, not cute at all. The writers were seriously on shrooms or something for that one.

Though I don't think it's the WORST drama ever, I cannot by any means comprehend why "Summer Snow" (lol, I almost typed Summer Snot) is so popular. I personally can't stand Dohmoto Tsuyoshi nor Hirosue Ryouko. The plot wasn't great and I could call whole episodes, including that TOTALLY retarded ending that really wasn't that satisfying at all.

Speaking of which, I can't count the number of dramas I've watched with totally bogus and/or unsatisfying endings. Not all of them were completely terrible (some of them of them were my faves and I loved besides that point), the endings just sucked. Off the top of my head, there was "Last Friends", "Oyaji!", "Beach Boys"... to name a few, I guess?

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Aug 1st, '08, 23:32

Its funny, how after the hype and everything.... People are starting to realize, " Hey, Last Friends wasn't that great after all.... "

Issy

Post by Issy » Aug 2nd, '08, 00:01

Ladymercury wrote:Its funny, how after the hype and everything.... People are starting to realize, " Hey, Last Friends wasn't that great after all.... "
:lol :lol :lol , and i just wanted to start watching the drama. not so keen on these type of dramas but wanted to see it for Eita's sake only. well, i guess i will leave it when i really run out of dramas to watch :P

as for summer snow, when i watched the drama, i thought it was good enough but later on i thought it was NOT.
I personally can't stand Dohmoto Tsuyoshi nor Hirosue Ryouko.
i have the same feelings towrds both actors. watched moto kare (again with Tsuyoshi and hirose) and disliked both even more. it's another drama not worth wasting your precious time watching.
also Dekichatta kekkon (shotgun marrige) watched for Yutaka Takenouchi's sake but got so angry with the plot/acting/annoying hirose again and list goes on and on

Akiiness

Post by Akiiness » Aug 2nd, '08, 00:19

I'm actually a fan of the Tsuyoshi/Hirosue pair and I will admit Moto Kare was really lame. Avoid it by means, unless you're a fan and you just want to see how bad it is.

Dekichatta kekkon I also didn't like as much. Cheesy ending, lame plot. If it wasn't for Hirosue & Yutaka, I would have never picked it up. Though I don't think it was the worst drama - I mean, if you have time to waste, go ahead, but in other words don't watch it.

Lastly - S.O.S. Yeah, I thought it was really boring. I watched the first episode, briefly scanned through all the other ones and jumped to the ending. I kind of liked the ending, but definitely another one to avoid.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Aug 2nd, '08, 03:05

Ladymercury wrote:Its funny, how after the hype and everything.... People are starting to realize, " Hey, Last Friends wasn't that great after all.... "
It takes longer for some to reach maturity and have common sense. :mrgreen:

hanapyupyu

Post by hanapyupyu » Aug 2nd, '08, 06:47

bmwracer wrote:
nikkibell84 wrote:Last Friends - It was just too much of everything. I found the drama too melo and half the characters annoying.
I don't think it's the worst drama I've ever seen, but it's gotta be one of the most frustrating ones...
This sums up how I feel too. Last Friends had enough good moments for me not to regret watching it, and the characters did make you feel for them and suffer along with them - which is a lot more than I can say for some other dramas where I could care less about the fate of the characters. But Last Friends was ultimately disappointing and failed to reach its potential due to weak/inconsistent writing. The writer had no balls to follow through with the sensitive issues that she tossed up, and merely glossed over everything with a 'happy ending' for all. Meh.
katzenjammin' wrote:The worst drama I've seen, and one of the first I've watched was "S.O.S." It was so. Bad. I agree with everyone on that one.

I've tried to stomach "Hanazakari no Kimi-tachi e" so many times, but it's so over the top, not cute at all. The writers were seriously on shrooms or something for that one.
Yup, Hanazakari no Kimi-tachi e is one of the worst J-dramas I've ever come across. Totally lame characters with no chemistry whatsoever. Maki passing off as a guy, are you kidding? Not in a million years can she convince me. :roll I deleted the whole drama off my harddisk after 4 mind-numbing episodes.

I thought Summer Snow was one of the better doramas from the last ten years. Dohmoto Tsuyoshi carried the show really well (even though it was my first time watching him and I thought he looked kind of weird. Definitely not your typical kakoii male lead :P ). But as the story went on, I actually felt for all the characters and their plight.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Aug 2nd, '08, 15:06

hanapyupyu wrote:
bmwracer wrote:
This sums up how I feel too. Last Friends had enough good moments for me not to regret watching it, and the characters did make you feel for them and suffer along with them - which is a lot more than I can say for some other dramas where I could care less about the fate of the characters. But Last Friends was ultimately disappointing and failed to reach its potential due to weak/inconsistent writing. The writer had no balls to follow through with the sensitive issues that she tossed up, and merely glossed over everything with a 'happy ending' for all. Meh.
Exactly.

The writer was bold enough to take on all those hot-button topics (DV, gender disorder, incest) and then chumped out for ratings points instead of following through on character and story development.

Probably the most disappointing drama of the year, IMO.

hanapyupyu

Post by hanapyupyu » Aug 2nd, '08, 17:12

bmwracer wrote:Exactly.

The writer was bold enough to take on all those hot-button topics (DV, gender disorder, incest) and then chumped out for ratings points instead of following through on character and story development.

Probably the most disappointing drama of the year, IMO.
Which would you prefer though - a drama that aims high but falls short of its target, or a drama that aims low and hits the target? You know that saying about reaching for the stars.... :whistling:

I'd give Last Friends extra points for ambition (hot-button topics), but at the same time deduct points for poor pacing and story development. So it ends up being an average drama for me, where it could've been great.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Aug 2nd, '08, 18:10

hanapyupyu wrote:Which would you prefer though - a drama that aims high but falls short of its target, or a drama that aims low and hits the target?
I'd prefer the former, since there is ambition and hope... A drama that subscribes to the latter shouldn't even have been made in the first place...

Ladymercury

Post by Ladymercury » Aug 2nd, '08, 18:26

Characters got shafted for what was pulling the ratings, storyline became nothing but gimmicks to keep people watching...

... In the end, all Last Friends became was a "taboo drama" with a Hana Kimi hype. I don't regret watching it, I still like this drama, its not as high on my list as it once was in the first 4 episodes, but the last three episodes was just trainwreck that no one could recover from.

And I will say again, Sousuke = copout.

ZoddGuts

Post by ZoddGuts » Aug 3rd, '08, 04:06

I wouldn't say this is the worst j-drama I've watch but it sure was dissapointing I'm talking about "First Kiss" I didn't even get to finish it. It's mainly my fault for getting myself hyped thinking I'll be good but it was soo medicore everything about it. After the 7th or 8th episode as said "enough of this" and gave up on it. Looking at the ratings I should have followed suit like alot of people did the first episode had a 19.7 TV rating then it dropped big time for the 2nd episode being at 13.2 they sure figured out it was a crappy series in Japan shame I didn't do the same thing after seeing the first episode.

Dir.en.Rei

Post by Dir.en.Rei » Aug 3rd, '08, 04:34

wow this thread is real long...

acau I can't believe you put Yasha in the list! why?! T_T I thought the drama was pretty good. I even said it was one of my favourites at one point in time but to call it one of the worst T_T