[Discussion] Asa ga Kita

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Post Reply
User avatar
dhisashi
Posts: 2672
Joined: Sep 12th, '11, 23:40
Location: Northern California

[Discussion] Asa ga Kita

Post by dhisashi » Nov 3rd, '15, 19:03

I am viewing Asa ga Kita by using machine translated from Japanese subs to English subs and probably missing quite a bit of the story. But reading between the lines it is so far fascinating. One of my favorite actresses Aoi Miyazaki looks amazing even without much make up as the herorine's elder sister. Plus she can really act. I think she will not have too long a run since the real life person that her character is based on dies at age 25. :-(

For those of you who understand Japanese what are your thoughts about this series after the end of week 5?

.

User avatar
kitty10
Posts: 490
Joined: Apr 22nd, '09, 20:33
Contact:

Re: [Discussion] Asa ga Kita ~ Asadora

Post by kitty10 » Nov 16th, '15, 00:23

I've just finished the first week of episodes, so I'm quite far behind, but aim to get up to speed pretty soon. The child actors are very endearing, and the theme song is pretty bright and cheery. I hadn't realised there was such a big age gap between Shinjiro and Asa, so I was a bit surprised Tamaki Hiroshi appeared so early on. I wish they'd gotten a younger actor to play Shinjiro at this stage, cuz it just looks really odd and a little uncomfortable for me to see them together like this, especially when Shinjiro said he'd started noticing Asa from very early on.

I'm watching with Chinese subs. Lemme know if you want anything clarified etc.
:heart: 玉木宏、藤木直人、佐藤健... 大好き! :heart:

blog | mdl

User avatar
dhisashi
Posts: 2672
Joined: Sep 12th, '11, 23:40
Location: Northern California

Re: [Discussion] Asa ga Kita ~ Asadora

Post by dhisashi » Nov 16th, '15, 02:55

kitty10 wrote:<snip>I hadn't realised there was such a big age gap between Shinjiro and Asa, so I was a bit surprised Tamaki Hiroshi appeared so early on. I wish they'd gotten a younger actor to play Shinjiro at this stage, cuz it just looks really odd and a little uncomfortable for me to see them together like this, especially when Shinjiro said he'd started noticing Asa from very early on.

I'm watching with Chinese subs. Lemme know if you want anything clarified etc.
The first week is a bit odd with Tamaki Hiroshi - but the character is already in his mid-twenties. Any actor of that age would still look odd. :D

Candylemon is posting on her WordPress account weekly Drama Ratings and as of Nov 15, 2015:
Asa ga Kita current average 21.80% (highest 24.8%, lowest 18.4%)

It has darn high ratings.

I will post here if I need help in understanding some situation. Thank you for your offer. :D
..

User avatar
kitty10
Posts: 490
Joined: Apr 22nd, '09, 20:33
Contact:

Re: [Discussion] Asa ga Kita ~ Asadora

Post by kitty10 » Nov 16th, '15, 23:57

dhisashi wrote: Candylemon is posting on her WordPress account weekly Drama Ratings and as of Nov 15, 2015:
Asa ga Kita current average 21.80% (highest 24.8%, lowest 18.4%)

It has darn high ratings.
Yay, I'm glad for that. I've heard it's been doing well, so I'm pleased for Tamaki and the rest of the cast.

Just finished week 2's episodes, progressing nicely. The sisters' bond got a lot of play, and it was nice to see Miyazaki Aoi after a long while (for me, that is). I'd wanted her to play Asa since it'd be a reunion for her and Tamaki, but she's also well-suited for Hatsu - the transition from the child actress is very smooth since they even look somewhat alike. Week 3 seems to be the start of Hatsu's suffering, though :-(

Haru is growing on me as Asa, though I think there are a few areas where she's still a touch awkward. It's a real stretch to think that Suzuki Rio in four years would look remotely like Haru :scratch: but I'll live with it. It's cute that Asa made a mini abacus to go with her ningyō.

It looks like only two of us are watching this asadora :P
:heart: 玉木宏、藤木直人、佐藤健... 大好き! :heart:

blog | mdl

pondloso
Posts: 80
Joined: Nov 23rd, '14, 15:49

Re: [Discussion] Asa ga Kita ~ Asadora

Post by pondloso » Nov 22nd, '15, 06:44

i just finish week 5 this drama it really fun and have a lot of meaningful unexpected event haru really fit to the role
tamaki he good but his role not that so hard for him anyway i really like the way of story going hope after really disappointed with mare
i have hope again in this drama

ps.really surprise me with shinsengumi

User avatar
dhisashi
Posts: 2672
Joined: Sep 12th, '11, 23:40
Location: Northern California

Re: [Discussion] Asa ga Kita ~ Asadora

Post by dhisashi » Nov 22nd, '15, 17:26

pondloso wrote:i just finish week 5 this drama it really fun and have a lot of meaningful unexpected event haru really fit to the role
tamaki he good but his role not that so hard for him anyway i really like the way of story going hope after really disappointed with mare
i have hope again in this drama

ps.really surprise me with shinsengumi
Yes. Haru does fit the part of Asa and she is doing a really good job. At first I was really disappointed that Miyazaki Aoi (my favorite actress) was not playing Asa. But Miyazaki is much too feminine to play Asa. Miyazaki's role as Hatsu played with minimal make-up is excellent. I hope the script does not follow the real life Hatsu because she dies really young. Which means Miyazaki will disappear from the drama soon. :-(
:D

User avatar
kitty10
Posts: 490
Joined: Apr 22nd, '09, 20:33
Contact:

Re: [Discussion] Asa ga Kita ~ Asadora

Post by kitty10 » Nov 29th, '15, 09:52

dhisashi wrote:Yes. Haru does fit the part of Asa and she is doing a really good job. At first I was really disappointed that Miyazaki Aoi (my favorite actress) was not playing Asa. But Miyazaki is much too feminine to play Asa. Miyazaki's role as Hatsu played with minimal make-up is excellent. I hope the script does not follow the real life Hatsu because she dies really young. Which means Miyazaki will disappear from the drama soon. :-(
:D
They might delay it or change it. The synopsis said Hatsu and her husband made a fresh start after their business went bankrupt, so maybe she'll last a while yet (unless the bankrupt part already happened - I'm still stuck on week 3). It was also somewhat positive on Asa and Shinjiro, saying they took on the establishment of Japan’s first girls college, even though from what I understand, the real Asa divorced her husband.
:heart: 玉木宏、藤木直人、佐藤健... 大好き! :heart:

blog | mdl

User avatar
dhisashi
Posts: 2672
Joined: Sep 12th, '11, 23:40
Location: Northern California

Re: [Discussion] Asa ga Kita ~ Asadora

Post by dhisashi » Dec 4th, '15, 03:16

Miyazaki Aoi is doing her usual excellent job as Hatsu. Haru is surprising me as Asa. She is also doing a very nice job portraying a very strong minded woman although she does not have an imposing physical presence. She is small and slender after all.

I am through week 9 not totally understanding all of the dialogue but following the majority of the storyline (I think) using machine translated subs.

Candylemon on her website has the daily ratings for Asa ga Kita. It is doing very, very well:
Attachments
AsaGaKita_Ratings.jpg
:-)
AsaGaKita_Ratings.jpg (82.52 KiB) Viewed 1551 times

lullabye
Posts: 346
Joined: May 2nd, '09, 22:01

Re: [Discussion] Asa ga Kita ~ Asadora

Post by lullabye » Apr 6th, '16, 03:57

I came in halfway on watching Asa ga Kita, and look forward to watching the whole thing from the start. It was really delightful, touching, and informative. The real people that the story is based on were amazing! And the writing and acting did them justice. This was the first asadora I have watched, and I'm really impressed.

User avatar
kathia_sophia
Posts: 227
Joined: Feb 27th, '08, 15:05

Re: [Discussion] Asa ga Kita ~ Asadora

Post by kathia_sophia » Apr 6th, '16, 23:55

lullabye wrote:I came in halfway on watching Asa ga Kita, and look forward to watching the whole thing from the start. It was really delightful, touching, and informative. The real people that the story is based on were amazing! And the writing and acting did them justice. This was the first asadora I have watched, and I'm really impressed.
I'm also halfway, I watch at the pace of english subs. I'm happy you like Asa ga Kita and oh it's your first Asadora, you need to check another asadoras as well. It's been a while since I only watch asadoras and they are so touching and informative, especially those on period times. I recommend Gegege no Nyobo, Gochisousan, Hanako to Anne and Massan. But if you want to see the classic and the highest of ratings watch Oshin! :thumleft:

koshonin
Posts: 354
Joined: Nov 26th, '14, 18:51

Re: [Discussion] Asa ga Kita

Post by koshonin » May 6th, '16, 23:27

does anyone know who played Chiyo's friend from school (mt:name:Yibin)? neither dwiki nor awiki has an entry
.
answer: Nono Sumika as Miwa

User avatar
DragonSpikeXIII
Posts: 418
Joined: Jan 22nd, '10, 13:27

Re: [Discussion] Asa ga Kita

Post by DragonSpikeXIII » May 29th, '16, 15:52

To anyone interested, NHK World has an interview with Asa ga Kita's writer, Mika Omori. The show is called Face to Face and It's ending its rotation on their channel today ( http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/live/ ) but wil remain available for about two weeks, IIRC, on their Video On Demand page ( http://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/vod/ ).

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests