[Discussion] Taiheiki

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Minaira

[Discussion] Taiheiki

Post by Minaira » Oct 23rd, '15, 20:14

Would someone happen to have a link to the series online handy, or have it torrented and subbed? Kinda've want to see the 1991 Taiga drama.

musasho

Re: [Discussion] Taiheiki

Post by musasho » Feb 7th, '16, 09:27

Hi Minaira,

This drama is available on Youku with Chinese subtitles. Unfortunately, this is the only version around that I am aware of, but it's better than nothing for those that can watch without English subtitles.

I read the Taiheki that was translated into English by Helen Craig McCullough many years ago and was really impressed at the tales of Kusunoki Masashige's victories when he was at a complete disadvantage in several battles. His story is a tragedy that would be just perfect for an updated Taiga drama depiction. I'm really hoping that sometime in my lifetime there will be another Taiga based on the Nanboku-chō period, especially from Emperor Godaigo or Kusunoki Masashige's perspective. But, alas in the last 20 years there have been only 3 Taiga dramas that have not been set in the Sengoku/Azuchimomoyama/Edo or Bakumatu/Meiji time periods. And even those three dramas have all been in Heian/Genpei Nairan/Kamakura eras. (Hojo Tokimune, Yoshitsune and Taira no Kiyomori).

Sewerrat1
Fansubber
Fansubber
United States of America

Re: [Discussion] Taiheiki

Post by Sewerrat1 » Aug 21st, '17, 15:41

musasho wrote:Hi Minaira,

This drama is available on Youku with Chinese subtitles. Unfortunately, this is the only version around that I am aware of, but it's better than nothing for those that can watch without English subtitles.

I read the Taiheki that was translated into English by Helen Craig McCullough many years ago and was really impressed at the tales of Kusunoki Masashige's victories when he was at a complete disadvantage in several battles. His story is a tragedy that would be just perfect for an updated Taiga drama depiction. I'm really hoping that sometime in my lifetime there will be another Taiga based on the Nanboku-chō period, especially from Emperor Godaigo or Kusunoki Masashige's perspective. But, alas in the last 20 years there have been only 3 Taiga dramas that have not been set in the Sengoku/Azuchimomoyama/Edo or Bakumatu/Meiji time periods. And even those three dramas have all been in Heian/Genpei Nairan/Kamakura eras. (Hojo Tokimune, Yoshitsune and Taira no Kiyomori).
The Chinese subbed version is also available on AvistaZ.