[Discussion] Hana Moyu

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Ichigochen

[Discussion] Hana Moyu

Post by Ichigochen » Sep 27th, '14, 10:58

NHK's 54th Taiga Drama
Hana Moyu

The Story
The Taiga Drama 'Hana Moyu' (lit. Burning Flower) is following the life of Fumi, the fourth daughter born into the Sugi Clan. Her older brother Yoshida Shoin, a teacher and philosopher, paved the way for the Meiji Restoration by educating in his small Shoka Sonjuku (lit. Academy under the Pine Tree) many remarkable Ishin Shishi, like Itou Hirobumi, Yoshida Toshimaro, Takasugi Shinsaku and Kusaka Genzui. The series pictures the vigorous images of the youths who inherited the will of their teacher and depicts the warm affection within the Sugi family.

The Cast
Sugi Clan
Sugi Fumi: Inoue Mao (as child: Yamada Momoka)
Odamura Inosuke: Osawa Takao
Yoshida Shoin: Iseya Yusuke
Kusaka Genzui: Higashide Masahiro
Sugi Yurinosuke: Nagatsuka Kyozo
Sugi Taki: Dan Fumi
Tamaki Bunnoshin: Okuda Eiji
Sugi Umetaro: Harada Taizo
Sugi Hisa: Yuka (as child: Kanon)
Sugi Toshisaburo: Yamada Eru
Sugi Kame: Kubota Maki

Students of Shoka Sonjuku
Takasugi Shinsaku: Kora Kengo
Yoshida Toshimaro: Seto Koji
Itou Hirobumi: Gekidan Hitori
Irie Kuichi: Kaname Jun
Nomura Yasushi: Ono Takuro
Maeba Issei: Sato Ryuta
Terashima Chuzaburo: Suzuki Nobuyuki
Shinagawa Yajirou: Otoo Takuma
Akane Taketo: Abe Ryohei
Matsuura Shodo: Uchino Kenta

Choshu Clan:
Mori Takachika: Kitaoji Kinya
Mori Tomiko: Matsuzaka Keiko
Sufu Masanosuke: Ishimaru Kanji
Mukunashi Tota: Naito Takashi
Mukunashi Mitsuru: Wakamura Mayumi

People of Choshu:
小田村志乃: Katase Rino
金子ツル: Asou Yumi
Takasu Hisako: Igawa Haruka
Irie Sumi: Miyazaki Karen (younger sister to the Irie brothers)
Yoshida Fusa: Kojima Fujiko (Toshimaro´s younger sister)

Higo Clan
Miyabe Teizo: Bibiru Ooki

Tokugawa Shogunate:
Ii Naosuke: Takahashi Hideki

The Staff
Original screenplay by Ohshima Satomi and Miyamura Yuko
Music: Kawai Kenji
General Production: Tsuchiya Katsuhiro and Masayo Komatsu
Producer: Horinouchi Reijiro
Directors: Watanabe Yoshio and Suenaga Hajime

The Sugi Clan
Harada Taizo as Sugi Umetaro (Fumi´s older and Shoin´s younger brother), Nagatsuka Kyozo as Sugi Yurinosuke (Fumi´s father), Dan Fumi as Sugi Taki (Fumi´s mother), Inoue Mao as Sugi Fumi, Osawa Takao as Odamura Inosuke (Fumi´s second husband), Okuda Eiji as Tamaki Bunnoshin and Kubota Maki as Sugi Kame.

The Shoka Sonjuku
Iseya Yusuke as Yoshida Shoin, Seto Koji as Yoshida Toshimaro (Shoin and Toshimaro were not related by blood), Higashide Masahiro as Kusaka Genzui, Kora Kengo as Takasugi Shinsaku, Kaname Jun as Irie Kuichi, Ono Takuro as Nomura Yasushi (Kuichi´s younger brother), Suzuki Nobuyuki as Terashima Chuzaburo, Abe Ryohei as Akane Taketo, Otoo Takuma as Shinagawa Yajirou, Sato Ryuta as Maeba Issei, Uchino Kenta as Matsuura Shodo and Gekidan Hitori as Itou Hirobumi

Official Website
Last edited by Ichigochen on Sep 27th, '14, 16:08, edited 1 time in total.

alicechen

Post by alicechen » Sep 27th, '14, 16:06

Oh Inoue! And the men!! Kengo! Masahiro!! Long dramas.... Aiya!

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Sep 29th, '14, 00:18

Getting excited! I like the cast, and I know so little about this period of history. Just reading background history on the characters has really piqued my interest.

hey9

Post by hey9 » Sep 29th, '14, 03:45

Nice cast...I've never watched a taiga drama before, maybe I'll check this out.

jedmed

Post by jedmed » Oct 15th, '14, 09:55

Anything with Mao Inoue. She certainly can sustain her acting career with great performances. This one is something to look forward to.

lullabye

Re: [Discussion] Hana Moyu

Post by lullabye » Jan 7th, '15, 05:19

How did this only get 16.7% of the audience? I think it was a fantastic first episode!

Who was that wonderful young actress who played child Fumi? She didn't have a lot of lines, but she sure has an expressive face.

sambart

Post by sambart » Jan 10th, '15, 01:33

I seriously wanna watch this but no idea WHERE I can watch this! ='[ anyone any ideas?!

dhisashi
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Jan 10th, '15, 04:19

sambart wrote:I seriously wanna watch this but no idea WHERE I can watch this! ='[ anyone any ideas?!
Try this place:

dhisashi
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Jan 12th, '15, 21:06

It looks like VampireXxX will be uploading the 848x480 x264 RAW version to NYAA.

:D

mihon

Post by mihon » Jan 14th, '15, 16:24

Thanks VampireXxX for uploading this drama to Nyaa!! Taigas are my obssession! ^^
I do hope someone upload a higher resolution version though.

biniBningPunkista

Post by biniBningPunkista » Jan 15th, '15, 14:20

I checked Nya and episode 1 is up so far and there were several leechers already too. tsktsk... :glare:
But anyways, I'll still seed as long as it takes. Thanks to VampireXxX for putting it up!!!!

kittytae

Post by kittytae » Jan 16th, '15, 05:00

Oh! I'm really excited for this - I hope they follow similar styles as Gunshi Kanbee.

Kind of hilarious, too - I just took a company trip to Hagi, around where this is set, and the last drama, Kanbee, finished up in my home town here. I love the coincidence!

Any words on if we'll be getting subtitles for this, or where to hunt them down?

Moon

Post by Moon » Jan 18th, '15, 16:20

The cast is great and the first two episodes was interesting(although I did not understand what they say). I am very curious what will happen next. If anyone found recaps of the episodes or get news that someone would make subtitles, please share it, because I really want to understand what actually happens
lullabye wrote: Who was that wonderful young actress who played child Fumi? She didn't have a lot of lines, but she sure has an expressive face.
The name of young actress who played child Fumi is Momoka Yamada. She did a good job.

tekkichan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by tekkichan » Jan 20th, '15, 09:14

watch 2 episodes without subs , so far it's interesting and it's meiji era. I do really hope this taiga will be subbed :D

koshonin

Post by koshonin » Jan 21st, '15, 01:00

Haven't watched yet.
But I already love the theme song ... it has an air of grand about it

PS thanks Vampirexxx for uploading (and esp for a 480p version)

hey9

Post by hey9 » Jan 21st, '15, 05:57

First two eps looked interesting although I have very little idea what's going on (I forgot most of the synopsis lol). Hoping someone picks this up, the cast is really solid.
One thing that weirds me out with jdramas is when two people (who you know will end up getting together) meet up earlier in their lives and the girl is played by a younger actress but the guy isn't. I've seen it in Ginnikan and now in Hana Moyu. It's...weird.

koshonin

Post by koshonin » Jan 21st, '15, 21:11

I couldn't wait, so I had my computer work on it and I think it's a little better than google translate, but some lines need your fantasy (and some are ridiculous/incomprehensible)

source srt from jpsubbers
synced to work with vampirexxx's upload

2lines: 1st: romaji; 2nd: english(kinda)

It's just a reference, and not meant to interfere with any fansubber going about it seriously.

edit: @nanashi2 » Tue Jan 27: I don't consider these to be subtitles worth mentioning, let alone a thread of their own (it would be an insult to the hard work and effort real fansubber put into it!).
Also, it was just in the spur of the moment (of my impatience and excitement)... a one-time-thing

edit: I'm stopping this with ep05, it should be enough to get an impression of the series.
(thanks and apologies to those who actually tried/used them, I hope the series didn't lose it's magic.)

edit: because of some asking for it I'll continue here: viewtopic.php?p=1716987#p1716987

as this is the discussion thread, please don't comment on it
Attachments
Hana Moyu Ep05 (848x480 x264).srt
retimed by: -31000ms
(44.73 KiB) Downloaded 190 times
Hana Moyu Ep04 (848x480 x264).srt
retimed by: -31000ms
(46.46 KiB) Downloaded 189 times
Hana Moyu Ep03 (848x480 x264).srt
retimed by: -31800ms
(47.92 KiB) Downloaded 186 times
Hana Moyu Ep02 (848x480 x264).srt
retimed by: -26500ms
(49.31 KiB) Downloaded 205 times
Hana Moyu Ep01 (848x480 x264).srt
retimed by -32000ms
(75.12 KiB) Downloaded 324 times
Last edited by koshonin on Apr 30th, '15, 00:07, edited 13 times in total.

dhisashi
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Jan 21st, '15, 23:17

I can take a look, but I need to finish Gunshi before I start watching Hana Moyu.

nanashi2

Post by nanashi2 » Jan 27th, '15, 20:57

@ koshonin

Why don't you put the subs with subtitles slot instead of discussion?
Last edited by nanashi2 on Feb 6th, '15, 00:18, edited 1 time in total.

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Jan 28th, '15, 08:03

Thanks, Koshonin. Even if you don't think it's much, it's more than there was before!

shevgiggs

Post by shevgiggs » Jan 29th, '15, 01:10

Thanks koshonin and VampireXxX for sharing.

tekkichan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by tekkichan » Jan 29th, '15, 02:53

thanks koshonin for the hardwork :salut:

Ichigochen

Post by Ichigochen » Jan 29th, '15, 18:28

The airing of 'Burning Flower' is going to start, like all recent Taiga Drama, on two local US channels with English subtitles. The broadcasting on KIKU in Hawaii is starting this weekend on the 2nd of February and on Crossings TV in San Francisco on the 8th of February. :-)

http://www.crossingstv.com/programming/ ... e-programs (announced today on their main page)
http://kikutv.com/specials-and-upcoming-shows/

tekkichan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by tekkichan » Jan 29th, '15, 18:57

Ichigochen wrote:The airing of 'Burning Flower' is going to start, like all recent Taiga Drama, on two local US channels with English subtitles. The broadcasting on KIKU in Hawaii is starting this weekend on the 2nd of February and on Crossings TV in San Francisco on the 8th of February. :-)

http://www.crossingstv.com/programming/ ... e-programs (announced today on their main page)
http://kikutv.com/specials-and-upcoming-shows/
Brilliant !! hopefully someone will be able to rip the english subtitle

koshonin

Post by koshonin » Jan 31st, '15, 20:49

That's good news, Ichigochen and thanks for keeping an eye on thinks.

On the taiga: As far as I could understand from those 4 episodes it can develop into a good story.

(I vote for more taiga related smilies like :hime: :tono: :ninja: :samurai: :sepuku: haha )

Awilda
Belgium

Post by Awilda » Feb 4th, '15, 03:38

This looks really interesting but my Japanese is practically non existent so I'm desperately waiting for someone to translate this !

dhisashi
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Feb 4th, '15, 16:50

koshonin wrote:That's good news, Ichigochen and thanks for keeping an eye on thinks.

On the taiga: As far as I could understand from those 4 episodes it can develop into a good story.

(I vote for more taiga related smilies like :hime: :tono: :ninja: :samurai: :sepuku: haha )
Your subs are much, much better than you say. If it is not too much trouble would you continue them. Or at least until someone can Post the English hard coded TV rips.

:-)

VampireXxX

Post by VampireXxX » Feb 5th, '15, 07:57

waa i just know there's a sub here :D

thank you koshonin for the sub...although it as a reference...now i can watch them tonight :mrgreen:

otsukaresama :salut:

Ichigochen

Post by Ichigochen » Feb 17th, '15, 11:02

And another one, the local channel, UTB for South California, is broadcasting 'Burning Flower' starting from 21th February.
http://utbhollywood.com/en/program/drama/hanamoyu/

rosava
Fansubber
Fansubber
Ukraine

Post by rosava » Feb 20th, '15, 17:06

Maybe, someone can record?

mihon

Post by mihon » Feb 23rd, '15, 15:45

VampireXxX, thank you SO MUCH for uploading the 720p version!!! Now it's even better!!! :D

SoCal_Kuni

Post by SoCal_Kuni » Mar 15th, '15, 02:12

mihon wrote:VampireXxX, thank you SO MUCH for uploading the 720p version!!! Now it's even better!!! :D
mihon and VampireXxX, could you please kindly tell us how/where to find the Hana Moyu taiga drama? I am located in Southern California (UTB broadcast area) and am recording this series but reception can be marginal at times so am missing some episodes. Your help is much appreciated!

Doomo arigato!

SoCal_Kuni

Post by SoCal_Kuni » Mar 15th, '15, 02:37

SoCal_Kuni wrote:
mihon wrote:VampireXxX, thank you SO MUCH for uploading the 720p version!!! Now it's even better!!! :D
mihon and VampireXxX, could you please kindly tell us how/where to find the Hana Moyu taiga drama? I am located in Southern California (UTB broadcast area) and am recording this series but reception can be marginal at times so am missing some episodes. Your help is much appreciated!

Doomo arigato!
Apologies for the bother. My earlier search here left out the posts pointing to the files at nya. :pale: Thanks all...

Ceticista

Post by Ceticista » Mar 15th, '15, 04:00

Guys where I can download the raw to put those subs?
Thanks a lot! :notworthy:

koshonin

Post by koshonin » Mar 15th, '15, 05:28

Ceticista wrote:Guys where I can download the raw to put those subs?
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=search&cats=0_ ... =hana+moyu

Ceticista

Post by Ceticista » Mar 15th, '15, 18:53

koshonin wrote:
Ceticista wrote:Guys where I can download the raw to put those subs?
http://www.nyaa.se/?page=search&cats=0_ ... =hana+moyu
THANK YOU!!!

mihon

Post by mihon » Mar 18th, '15, 14:14

[quote="SoCal_Kuni"]Apologies for the bother. My earlier search here left out the posts pointing to the files at nya. :pale: Thanks all..[/quote]

No problem!! Sorry for not checking your message earlier!

nanamieuochi

Post by nanamieuochi » Apr 20th, '15, 05:27

thank youuu :3

biniBningPunkista

Post by biniBningPunkista » Jun 7th, '15, 13:48

kittytae wrote:Oh! I'm really excited for this - I hope they follow similar styles as Gunshi Kanbee.

Kind of hilarious, too - I just took a company trip to Hagi, around where this is set, and the last drama, Kanbee, finished up in my home town here. I love the coincidence!

Any words on if we'll be getting subtitles for this, or where to hunt them down?
I'm not sure if someone has already answered this for you, but here's the Link you are looking for: English Subs (this is uploaded by tiger457)

Raws could be found here: NYA

To those who will be downloading - kindly help seed to share more of this lovely drama to others. Thanks!!! :salut:

P@permoon

Post by P@permoon » Jun 24th, '15, 04:33

I´m going to stop now. I tried to watch as long as possible, and to be honest, my only reason to continue was the character of Toshimaro. This was from start to finish an excellent performance from Seto Koji. He offered the whole range of emotion and depth to his character until the very last second, plus he imparted him with an unique personality. Another good performance came from Iseya Yusuke, but there were many missed opportunities of interaction between him and his pupils that would have painted an even better picture of the relationship they had back then.

But the rest. Oh my, this is absolutely the worst taiga I have ever watched. The acting from the rest of the main cast is just terrible, especially Higashide Masahiro, how is that guy even getting parts, he can´t even talk? But also Osawa Takao, Dan Fumi and Okuda Eiji just can´t convince. Inoue Mao is an absolute disappointment as lead. Fumi was, from the first episode, installed as kind of an Mary Sue. She is so utterly boring to watch and after a few episodes it´s nothing new she offers to her part - just an endless circle of smiling, crying and making rice balls (okay, she is cooking other recipes by now, too).

Of course everyone should be aware that Fumi was not a person of any interest, but that the writers are using every opportunity, trying so hard to make her look important and have her doing things she never had done (like inspiring Shoin to open a school - he originally inhabited from his uncle - really? And managing this school, even recruiting the pupils, who actually partly have been hand-picked by Shoin back in the time, or traveling so much), is more than questionable for an taiga and a huge let down on the historical side. It´s obviously an attempt to make this vehicle work for Inoue and give her the most screen time possible. The problem is really that the constant featuring of Fumi in every possible, and impossible situation, is getting very annoying and Inoue can´t contribute anything interesting to her part, not even a spark of personality. This is worse than it was in the case of 'Gou', who was pushed in every scene with her uncle Nobunaga, but there had most events at least been based on facts.

This is sad, because this could have been quite a good taiga, would they have paid more attention to the truthfulness of the historical facts, more development on interesting characters and some better actors.

dhisashi
United States of America

Post by dhisashi » Jul 3rd, '15, 14:33

P@permoon wrote:I´m going to stop now. I tried to watch as long as possible, and to be honest, my only reason to continue was the character of Toshimaro. This was from start to finish an excellent performance from Seto Koji. He offered the whole range of emotion and depth to his character until the very last second, plus he imparted him with an unique personality. Another good performance came from Iseya Yusuke, but there were many missed opportunities of interaction between him and his pupils that would have painted an even better picture of the relationship they had back then.

But the rest. Oh my, this is absolutely the worst taiga I have ever watched. The acting from the rest of the main cast is just terrible, especially Higashide Masahiro, how is that guy even getting parts, he can´t even talk? But also Osawa Takao, Dan Fumi and Okuda Eiji just can´t convince. Inoue Mao is an absolute disappointment as lead. Fumi was, from the first episode, installed as kind of an Mary Sue. She is so utterly boring to watch and after a few episodes it´s nothing new she offers to her part - just an endless circle of smiling, crying and making rice balls (okay, she is cooking other recipes by now, too).

Of course everyone should be aware that Fumi was not a person of any interest, but that the writers are using every opportunity, trying so hard to make her look important and have her doing things she never had done (like inspiring Shoin to open a school - he originally inhabited from his uncle - really? And managing this school, even recruiting the pupils, who actually partly have been hand-picked by Shoin back in the time, or traveling so much), is more than questionable for an taiga and a huge let down on the historical side. It´s obviously an attempt to make this vehicle work for Inoue and give her the most screen time possible. The problem is really that the constant featuring of Fumi in every possible, and impossible situation, is getting very annoying and Inoue can´t contribute anything interesting to her part, not even a spark of personality. This is worse than it was in the case of 'Gou', who was pushed in every scene with her uncle Nobunaga, but there had most events at least been based on facts.

This is sad, because this could have been quite a good taiga, would they have paid more attention to the truthfulness of the historical facts, more development on interesting characters and some better actors.
This really is a poor Taiga. I also place a lot of the blame on the screen writers. They did the same job as hack American soap opera writers.
I hope next year's Taiga is a whole lot better.

:-(

lullabye

Post by lullabye » Jul 26th, '15, 20:18

I think your words sum up Hana Moyu perfectly. I wonder who is left watching after the death of Toshimaro? I don't think I've ever watched another j-drama where so many actors shouted their lines. No wonder their cabals were so easily broken, what with all their "secret" meetings being conducted by yelling in the street.
P@permoon wrote:I´m going to stop now. I tried to watch as long as possible, and to be honest, my only reason to continue was the character of Toshimaro. This was from start to finish an excellent performance from Seto Koji. He offered the whole range of emotion and depth to his character until the very last second, plus he imparted him with an unique personality. Another good performance came from Iseya Yusuke, but there were many missed opportunities of interaction between him and his pupils that would have painted an even better picture of the relationship they had back then.

biniBningPunkista

Post by biniBningPunkista » Nov 9th, '15, 16:15

dhisashi wrote:

This really is a poor Taiga. I also place a lot of the blame on the screen writers. They did the same job as hack American soap opera writers.
I hope next year's Taiga is a whole lot better.

:-(
My reason for actually picking up the drama was because of Inoue Mao and to be honest, I go well with your sentiments. I thought it was just me, but after reading around, I realized I wasn't alone in this. The drama wasn't able to hold my attention after Shoin died. I'm currently in episode 21 and I couldn't seem to make myself continue on since there are other better drama's out there to watch, so I'm currently putting it on hold. I'm not dropping it though, for the sake of seeing Mao on screen. Watching the succeeding episodes felt like watching Gou. Ueno Juri though wasn't enough for me to finish the whole thing.

Mao was wasted here, she could have done more. I also believe it's not her fault that this ended up to be a horrible drama. There just wasn't much material for her to work on, same with the other veteran actors in this drama. :cry: I wish they made a sensible Taiga like Atsu Hime, that drama was very much alive in my opinion.

haslil

Post by haslil » Feb 13th, '16, 23:36

Just finished watching my very first taiga. As some of you said, for me it went downhill after Yoshida Shoin's death. It certainly had its moments, but it got tiresome to see how much they relied on Fumi/Miwa-san, I wished they had focused on Yoshida Shoin and Takasugi Shinsaku's characters even more. Kusaka Genzui was a missed out opportunity, such an important role deserved a brighter actor. Somehow I expected more action, considering the turbulent times that led to the Meiji restoration. Can't help but feeling it could've been better.
P@permoon wrote:Fumi was, from the first episode, installed as kind of an Mary Sue. She is so utterly boring to watch and after a few episodes it´s nothing new she offers to her part - just an endless circle of smiling, crying and making rice balls (okay, she is cooking other recipes by now, too)
Oh, I surely won't miss seeing her making those rice balls.