Login Issue? Delete D-addicts cookie from your browser settings and login again.

[Discussion] Last Christmas

Discuss Japanese drama series here.

How would you rate Last Christmas?

Life-Altering (5)
36%
See it (4)
42%
Probably shouldn't miss it (3)
6%
Probably shouldn't miss it (3)
6%
Only if you have time (2)
11%
STAY AWAY (1)
No votes

Total votes: 36

Kayote

[Discussion] Last Christmas

Post by Kayote » Apr 2nd, '05, 00:57

Didnt find any discussion thread so thought I'd start, please amend if its a mistake.

Well, Its not complete but Im totally into this drama at the moment. Its been a while since Ive seen such an engaging drama. I just love the chemistry between Kenji & Yuki, it seems so real. Last one that grabbed me like this was ATTIC CAT and until this show I was seriously begining to doubt if I would ever be fortunate enough to watch a japanese drama as awesome as SUMMER SNOW. Right now, this drama is doing everything right for me.

I just hope it turns out the way I want it to turn out or someone is going to get hurt (not sure who, Yuki or Sensei :p)

PLEASE JAPANESE DIRECTOR/WRITER/WHOEVER, LET THIS ONE HAVE A HAPPY ENDING, IM BEGGING HERE!

Kay

*poll added by xiaryx.

amaranth

Post by amaranth » Apr 2nd, '05, 01:20

Same here...
I wasn't hoping much more than your average run-of-the-mill romantic drama, yet I found it touching in unexpected ways. As you mentioned, Kayote, the leads have great chemistry. You also get to care a lot about the secondary characters, definitely not fillers.
Very funny, too : gotta love Goro! I still haven't gotten over his Elvis outfit........ :rofl:

At the beginning of the show, I couldn't imagine it ending badly, but now... The mood has shifted very gradually, in a very subtle way... Now I really don't know.

But then, that's what I like about J-drama: sad endings are just as common as happy ones. Most series have 11 episodes, period. It does make a big difference. Drama writers can easily choose to pull a Hamlet in the end, it's not like they need to keep the characters alive for a second season...

But let's hope they don't do this with Last Christmas... I still haven't recovered from... oh well, can't say the title - even if it wouldn't be that much of a spoiler, it's one of those series that starts with the male lead's voiceover: "The sunset is so beautiful. I wish we could watch it together, like we used to. But you're not here anymore. You're not anywhere. You're dead. Yes, dead and buried. Worm food. D-E-A-D. And you, yeah you, the guy/girl watching this show, don't think that this is a trick, she really DOES die in the end, I ain't kidding, run away while you can dude!" But of course, you never run away, do you?...

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Apr 2nd, '05, 07:55

edited your post to reflect a discussion.

check out our new WikiDrama site. it contains reviews and info about asian dramas, actors, actresses, singers, directors and script writers.

if you're interested in contributing, there's a very simple help page and a thorough user guide.
The only restriction for content is that it must either relate to an asian tv drama series or an artist who appears in an asian drama series.

Kayote

Post by Kayote » Apr 3rd, '05, 15:54

amaranth wrote:Same here...
Very funny, too : gotta love Goro! I still haven't gotten over his Elvis outfit........ :rofl:
Yeah I have to agree. At first, I did not like Goro but hes so funny and silly, you cant help but like him. Though, you have to worry about a company whose director is that fun loving... :p

All I have to say is (and Im really really desperate here)... PLEASE DONT DIIIEEE YUKI!!!.
jholic wrote: check out our new WikiDrama site. it contains reviews and info about asian dramas, actors, actresses, singers, directors and script writers.
Thnxs, I'll try my best.

Kay

Gir

Post by Gir » Apr 7th, '05, 00:18

I too am really enjoying this drama, except that I always cannot get rid of the feeling that something bad is going to happen. Like when Yuki was driving the car rather recklessly, or when she keeps falling. Of course, the opening scene does not help in the dread of the ending part.
So in the end I really enjoy this show, I especially liked the parts connected to the door between the apartments, (the scene with the fire extinguisher was really funny), I just cannot shake the doom feelings.
Last edited by Gir on Apr 7th, '05, 02:16, edited 1 time in total.

eltinator
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by eltinator » Apr 7th, '05, 00:21

Yea we have a Last Christmas discussion now! :mrgreen:

2 more eps left guys! We're almost done with subbing it here so hopefully I'll be getting them out very soon. And I have to also say that this drama is very engaging and entertaining. Not to mention very emotional too! I'm kinda glad Akiko Yada chose to do Last Christmas over the sequel of Hotman ^_^

GTOnizuka

Post by GTOnizuka » Apr 7th, '05, 01:43

Yeah I truly enjoy this series also. And Im getting that something bad is gonna happen feelings. :cry:

GTOnizuka

Post by GTOnizuka » Apr 7th, '05, 04:06

Possible spoilers!!!

Just saw ep 9 and its making me sad :cry: Also the preview doesn't help either. Feels like a summer snow feeling :cry:

pariah_dog

Post by pariah_dog » Apr 7th, '05, 05:02

[highlight to read]
I'd marry Yada Akiko dead or alive. She is so hot. This drama is starting to get interesting again. It seemed to be in a lull. I mean, you just can't have a drama where everyone is happy (more or less). After Kenji finally got Aoi it seemed like the credits would roll or something

Moshi2!

Post by Moshi2! » Apr 7th, '05, 05:50

Possible spoilers!!!

DONT WORRY TO MUCH ABOUT THE ENDING!!!
just enjoy seing it
I've already watch it untill the last episode
And I garranty it wont let you down
I've finish it 2 days ago and untill know i'm still singging the theme song...
"LAst Christmas i gave you my heart the very next day you give it away..."
I LOVE IT! & I LOVE ALL THE THEME SONG TOO!!

BTw does anybody knows how old is Yuji Oda now?
I've watch his performance in Tokyo Love Story when im in junior high and now i've seen him again with the same character as Kanji. i guess that man is not getting old huh? :D

amaranth

Re: [Discussion] Last Christmas (jdrama)

Post by amaranth » Apr 7th, '05, 15:06

The very first scene of the series is indeed quite ominous...
The rest of this post is written in white, highlight it to see it, but it contains heavy spoilers for SOS - Strawberry On the Shortcake, so don't read if you plan to watch it.
I inserted it as a quote so that it's white on white (I noticed you could accidentally make out the words with white on grey)...

So... In SOS, just about every episode ends with "that's why I will never forget you". Tons of voiceover comments by Manato also foreshadow a "bad" ending - well, an ending where Manato and Yui don't end up together. While watching the series, I kept hoping against reason (and wily scriptwriters) that they *would* end up together nonetheless, telling myself that maybe the whole "I'll never forget you" thing was an infamous manipulation (which it thankfully was indeed). And the ending worked out great, the "twist" was nice, with Manato adding a second part to his trademark episode-ending line, and saying how he'll never forget Yui not only because of what they had -past- but also because of what they have -present-, and because he is reminded of their past whenever he turns his head and sees her by his side.So who knows, maybe Last Christmas will turn out ok...

Kayote

Post by Kayote » Apr 7th, '05, 21:28

Good comparison Amaranth. I enjoyed SoS. It was a good series if not brilliant.

Just saw ep.9 and I cried my heart out. :cry:

Like so many of you, Im still holding on for something miraculous to happen and yeah the opening scene of the drama were not very encouraging.

I truly cant remember the last series (probably SUMMER SNOW, which I saw almost more than a yr back) which made me care for the couple this much.

Dying to see the next ep. :pale:

Moshi2!, hes 37 yrs old. Not old at all. I dont know whats with japanese people, they sort of expect you to die (or something) the moment you touch 30! I refer to www.jdorama.com for all things japanese. :D

Kay

azn_wrx

Post by azn_wrx » Apr 7th, '05, 22:09

oh my this drama is great!

ive already made my predictions...lets see how it turns out

Gir

Post by Gir » Apr 7th, '05, 22:21

I predict one of two out comes for this drama.
First: :-( it will just keep going on as it has been leading up to the death of Yuki with Kenji ending up in Canada alone to carry out the aurora viewing with the mysterious Christmas present in way of “honoring” Yuki.

Second: :-) As it has been so blatantly obvious that Yuki is going to die from the beginning of the show that they may do a 180, and she will survive an operation and will be cured, then Kenji will meet up with her in Canada, delivering the present to her.

Oh and Megumi has been rather cute and enjoyable in a fun way in this, this is the first time I have ever seen her.

amaranth

Post by amaranth » Apr 8th, '05, 13:07

Kayote wrote: I truly cant remember the last series (probably SUMMER SNOW, which I saw almost more than a yr back) which made me care for the couple this much.
Kay
I saw Beautiful Life recently, and I deeply cared about both characters. The real strong point of the series was how all the characters were much more than what they would have been in a standard dorama. Kyoko wasn't just a poor-girl-in-the-wheelchair-you-should-feel-sorry-for.
I remember caring greatly about Koyuki's character -- she only has a few scenes yet she managed to move me, simply, despite her having the all-too-common and ungrateful role of the Ex-Girlfriend Who Tries To Win The Male Lead Back (every single romantic dorama seems to have one, sadly...).

But then it was Koyuki, not just some average pretty face. She is so eerily talented...

amaranth

Post by amaranth » Apr 8th, '05, 13:09

Gir wrote:I predict one of two out comes for this drama.
First: :-( it will just keep going on as it has been leading up to the death of Yuki with Kenji ending up in Canada alone to carry out the aurora viewing with the mysterious Christmas present in way of “honoring” Yuki.

Second: :-) As it has been so blatantly obvious that Yuki is going to die from the beginning of the show that they may do a 180, and she will survive an operation and will be cured, then Kenji will meet up with her in Canada, delivering the present to her.
And at the beginning, Kenji does tell his guide that he is not alone. Which fits both your hypotheses -- the question being: is she with him physically, or "spiritually"?

Kayote

Post by Kayote » Apr 8th, '05, 22:47

amaranth wrote:
Kayote wrote: I truly cant remember the last series (probably SUMMER SNOW, which I saw almost more than a yr back) which made me care for the couple this much.
Kay
I saw Beautiful Life recently, and I deeply cared about both characters. The real strong point of the series was how all the characters were much more than what they would have been in a standard dorama. Kyoko wasn't just a poor-girl-in-the-wheelchair-you-should-feel-sorry-for.
I remember caring greatly about Koyuki's character -- she only has a few scenes yet she managed to move me, simply, despite her having the all-too-common and ungrateful role of the Ex-Girlfriend Who Tries To Win The Male Lead Back (every single romantic dorama seems to have one, sadly...).

But then it was Koyuki, not just some average pretty face. She is so eerily talented...
Know what you mean about Koyuki.
I dont know why but for some reason, I did not find Beautiful Life absolutely amazing. Very good but not amazing. I cant put a finger on what did not click with me, I respect Kimura as a great actor and I find Tokiwa absolutely breathtaking. Now that I think about it, maybe the two couple did not seem that real to me, here comparison being made to Last Christmas couple. Dont know, just guessing as its been a while Ive seen beautiful Life.

I thing I still remember was thinking how well Kyoko's character is fleshed out in Beautiful Life. Kyoko, like you say, isnt just a self-pitying girl but quite full of life. The thing I remember is how she would run away from household work. :)

On the other hand, Summer Snow's 2 leads were absolutely amazing. While I did fall for Hirosue after watching that drama but in all fairness Dohmoto Tsuyoshi's acting was spell binding. So brilliant acting, one of few movies/dramas/plays etc where I'm stunned by the acting.

On with the wait for the next ep. of Last Christmas. Actually the name of the drama is starting to sound very depressing as well...

Kay

amaranth

Post by amaranth » Apr 13th, '05, 15:38

Kayote wrote: On with the wait for the next ep. of Last Christmas. Actually the name of the drama is starting to sound very depressing as well...

Kay
Yup... At first, I hoped the title was just an "aftermath" of the very bad choice of a very bad cover of a very bad George Michael song for the opening credits, but I'm starting to think there's (unfortunately) more to it.

mikemccool

Post by mikemccool » Apr 13th, '05, 17:34

Just downloaded Episode 1 of this show, and will seed for as long as i can (already up to 4.0 ratio when this is written).

But i'm going to wait until i've downed all of the episodes so i can watch them in a few days!

By the way as you might see i'm new here and this is my first J-Drama, so i'm hoping i will like it. 8)

hana-chan

Post by hana-chan » Apr 15th, '05, 09:27

It's killing me waiting for the next episode (which will hopefully be out today :D), and then there's still one more to wait for after that. >.< I'm getting tempted to just download the raws and watch them with an incomplete understanding of what's going on. >.<

Anyway, I'm finding that Last Christmas is my favorite Japanese drama ever. O.O The acting is so good! The two main characters make such an amazing couple and they seem so realistic. I worry sometimes though because they don't always seem to be very honest with each other and they kind of don't seem to know each other too well...

I just know that I keep wanting them to be able to stay together and really have a good relationship in the future. They make me very hopeful. Kenji (I think that's his name O.o) is such a great guy. O.O So straightforward. He really won my heart quickly. And Yuki is so cute! I didn't even realize she was from My Little Chef. O.O The way she acts in this is so different.

Sorry for my rambling...I just get really excited thinking about this drama and I'm looking forward to seeing more!

Oh, and Studio Oto's doing a great job with the subs on this series!

Kayote

Post by Kayote » Apr 16th, '05, 00:40

mikemccool, excellent choice for first jdrama. It will surely win u over.

Im convinced the last episode is going to be very sad. If there was anything left out as to the possible outcome, the final ep. trailer at the end of ep.10 said it all (when he looks up into the sky).

I'll be one depressed person on 29th Apr. Still hoping I got it wrong all along... somehow.

Kay

eltinator
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by eltinator » Apr 17th, '05, 07:40

Ahhh the suspense of the last episode everyone! Not sure how to comment on what happened w/o giving spoilers so I won't say anything and just let you guys watch it. Looks like things are going ahead of schedule so odds are you guys might be seeing the last episode before April 29th, but definately before Christmas of 2005, lol ^_^

mikemccool

Post by mikemccool » Apr 17th, '05, 17:48

I've downloaded Episode's 1-8 and i am downing number 9 as i write this!

You people sure have gotten my hopes up, but i'm sure i'm not going to be dissapointed thou.

hana-chan

Post by hana-chan » Apr 17th, '05, 22:59

eltinator wrote:Ahhh the suspense of the last episode everyone! Not sure how to comment on what happened w/o giving spoilers so I won't say anything and just let you guys watch it. Looks like things are going ahead of schedule so odds are you guys might be seeing the last episode before April 29th, but definately before Christmas of 2005, lol ^_^
O.O Oh my gosh. If you guys release it early I will love you forever.

I was crying for a lot of episode 10. And when they were singing to Yuki I was crying and laughing. And this drama just makes me so happy. T_T

yuman

last christmas

Post by yuman » Apr 20th, '05, 22:56

this is a great drama, especially Yada Akiko her smile make me melt away. :wub:
Can't wait for the last ep.
And please vote for last christmas en Yada Akiko if you like them.

yuman

last christmas

Post by yuman » Apr 20th, '05, 22:59

at jdorama.com 8)

tokyo shounen

Post by tokyo shounen » Apr 23rd, '05, 22:58

Just finnished it and omg what a drama! There is not enough words to thank you studio oto!

And man im happy about the ending :D m Tokyo Love Story. Also, Tokyo Love Story's idea is that he falls for the bright, spunky love right before his eyes--after a long, long time. Same with Last Christmas. If you liked Toky

WroW
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by WroW » Apr 24th, '05, 00:18

I just finished it too.And all I have to say is: Thats how you end a drama! :thumleft:

mikemccool

Post by mikemccool » Apr 25th, '05, 18:13

I saw the first Episode last night, and i was a bit surprised, not by the quality of the show but by the character of "Aoki" she wasn't at all as i thought she was going to be.

This is positive though. More complex character.

Anyways, i'm looking forward to watch the rest of the Episodes. I've got them all! 8)

Kayote

Post by Kayote » Apr 25th, '05, 22:27

I downloaded it last night and watched it tonight (about 1 hour back) and Im HAPPPPPPPY!!!

I love the ending. All that fuss over nothing u guys :p

One thing Ive learnt from this drama is that always watch a complete series. While I very very much enjoyed the last episode but I did feel a bit disconnected. Now I hope to watch the entire series again in a months time... without interruption.

A very big thankyou to Studioto for this wonderful series. You guys own!

Kay

ay_link
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ay_link » May 2nd, '05, 07:16

I just finished watching this dorama also today.... a last christmas marathon actually... lol... :D and it feels great to finish it!
one word I must say... I absolutely LOVE this drama! :wub: :wub:

Just wanna say thank you so much for Studioto for releasing this great great series! :)
the quality is awesome... domo arigatou :)

and lastly, I added this jdorama to my clubbox...
so if there's no seeder, just come to *point to siggy below* :D
http://clubbox.co.kr/upikepik

nhk9

Post by nhk9 » May 3rd, '05, 05:10

Just finished the entire series yesterday. Downloaded the drama back in January but just started watching it a few days ago. It is indeed a very good drama

Just noticed one thing though. In the last episode there is a scene with Haruki driving a white van with Aoi sitting beside him. Although they are supposedly to be driving in "Canada" (or US), Haruki's car is a right-handed drive... the steering wheel is on the left side for all US/Canadian cars. Also the Washington state car nameplate wasn't similar to the ones usually seen in Washington state. Anyway, I later checked this site: http://loca.ash.jp/show/2004/d200410_lastXmas.htm and discovered that what was supposedly to be Yellowknife and Seattle are actually Hokkaido. So that explains the right-handed wheel phenomenon.

mikomi

Post by mikomi » May 6th, '05, 15:22

ay_link wrote:I just finished watching this dorama also today.... a last christmas marathon actually... lol... :D and it feels great to finish it!
one word I must say... I absolutely LOVE this drama! :wub: :wub:

Just wanna say thank you so much for Studioto for releasing this great great series! :)
the quality is awesome... domo arigatou :)

and lastly, I added this jdorama to my clubbox...
so if there's no seeder, just come to *point to siggy below* :D
http://clubbox.co.kr/upikepik
Thanks a lot for putting this drama in your clubbox, ay_link. I enjoyed it very much but before I could finish it, my computer died and now, 90 GB of movies/drama is all GONE :crazy: :sorry: :hissy:

ay_link
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ay_link » May 6th, '05, 20:08

mikomi wrote:Thanks a lot for putting this drama in your clubbox, ay_link. I enjoyed it very much but before I could finish it, my computer died and now, 90 GB of movies/drama is all GONE :crazy: :sorry: :hissy:
you're welcome, mikomi :)
sorry to heart about your hard drive :-(
last christmas 1-8 are up in my clubbox, and I'll be uploading the rest soon... :-)

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » May 8th, '05, 11:55

Did anybody else notice this useless bit of information thats only good for trivia:

The sports company in Last Christmas that Kenji (played by Oda Yuji) worked at is called Heart Sports which is also the same name for the sports company in Tokyo Love Story where Kanji (also played by Oda Yuji) worked at.

Kenji and Kanji heh :-)

ar-a-mach
Location: Acty Shiodome 1-1-6 Kaigan "Shiodome Sio-site"-Minato-Ku / Tokyo-

Post by ar-a-mach » May 8th, '05, 12:38

i didn't watched tokyo love story yet but LMAO about this point, i already read @ jdorama.com that those series were similar in several ways hehe :lol

Kenaressa

Post by Kenaressa » May 9th, '05, 14:34

nhk9 wrote:Just finished the entire series yesterday. Downloaded the drama back in January but just started watching it a few days ago. It is indeed a very good drama

Just noticed one thing though. In the last episode there is a scene with Haruki driving a white van with Aoi sitting beside him. Although they are supposedly to be driving in "Canada" (or US), Haruki's car is a right-handed drive... the steering wheel is on the left side for all US/Canadian cars. Also the Washington state car nameplate wasn't similar to the ones usually seen in Washington state. Anyway, I later checked this site: http://loca.ash.jp/show/2004/d200410_lastXmas.htm and discovered that what was supposedly to be Yellowknife and Seattle are actually Hokkaido. So that explains the right-handed wheel phenomenon.
I'm actually originally from seattle (inside the city limits and everything!). The thing that really bugged me the first time I watched the last ep (ok, it still bugs me a little but I'll get over it) was the amount of snow on the ground and the forest around the "West Seattle Medical Center". It looks like they transplanted the center up to one of the passes, since the mountains are the only place that usually gets that much snow, especially before christmas! I know it wouldn't have been nearly as cinematic for them to use a location that actually resembles the West Seattle, it being very much an urban area with many buildings and no snow. I just wish it had looked a bit more like Seattle. :P

Wow, that is a lot longer than I thought it would be....just for the record, I loved this drama, even though I complain about it. :D

mangosteen
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by mangosteen » May 18th, '05, 04:18

This series is great. Didn't expect it to be that good. I love it more than Good Luck. I'd like to say thanks to SO who helped sub this drama. :-)

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Jun 18th, '05, 05:42

I really like this drama. Could some people give me advices about what to watch now? I have no ideas :|
i've seen many kimu Taku drama like "good luck" ,"beautyfull life", "pride".

Did you watch "odoru daisousasen" ? It's with the same actor that plays Kenji and it's very good, but more in a comedy vein. I'm trying to finish it but there's a few episods stuck.
Oda juji sings horribly bad, I still prefer Georges Michael's original version... :pale:

I've been disapointed by the ending but LC is still my favourite drama.

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Aug 18th, '05, 03:59

Was Yuki's sickness ever mentioned in the drama?
I might have blinked my eye for too long and missed it...
But they could have kept it as "you-know-what" till the end...
Anyway, I've just continued watching this drama after stalling it last April.
I must say I'm feeling Christmas-y now, haha...
Thank you [SO] for subbing this wonderful feel-good drama...
I love it! :wub:

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Aug 18th, '05, 05:36

Even if the end of "last christmas " is really crappy ( they try to keep the suspens until the very very end and then doesn't take enough time to resolve the story properly) I still take this drama for one of my favourites. The character played by Yada Akiko is really intersting and the mix of emotional/funny stuff is almost perfect.

jaycee05
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by jaycee05 » Aug 19th, '05, 06:07

You didn't like the ending? :lol
Believe me, after seeing countless k-style endings, you'll just embrace any happy endings. Although, I hated Koukou Kyoushi's ending...the modern one.

Anyway, seriously, the unknown disease is still bugging me.
:hissy:
Why keep it a secret?

firebrand

Post by firebrand » Oct 28th, '06, 03:34

What I enjoyed most in Last Christmas is the characters are allowed to naturally smile Especially Kenji
It been a while since a seen a character so encouraging and life changing to all the sub-characters
especially Yuki. Even the older characters smile This drama really moved me

thtl

Post by thtl » Oct 28th, '06, 04:00

jaycee05 wrote:Was Yuki's sickness ever mentioned in the drama?
I might have blinked my eye for too long and missed it...
But they could have kept it as "you-know-what" till the end...
The cause of Yuki's problems wasn't mentioned.
But a '5-year relapse rate' was mentioned a few times, added to the fact that the sickness is operable, seem to point to cancer.

enuyasha

Post by enuyasha » Mar 4th, '07, 19:34

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought they didn't say what the illness was.
I don't get the ending, why did Kenji watch Yuki's tape if she didn't die?

badcompany

Post by badcompany » Jan 11th, '11, 04:23

Disgustingly sweet series.

Loved every second of it!