JDrama with Japanese subtitles?

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
VIStrings

JDrama with Japanese subtitles?

Post by VIStrings » Dec 8th, '13, 11:10

Hello, guys. I've been a self-taught Japanese student for 2 years and a half now and I can read novels like they're butter. Lately I've been working on my listening skills and vocabulary increase and I realized the numbers of written words I know far exceeds the number of words I can actually distinguish when I hear them (mostly because Kanji are a blessing when reading).

So I watched Kazoku Game to test my hearing skills, now I'm watching the Olympic no Minoshirokin special and taking notes whenever I find a word I don't know, but the process would be much much easier if I could just watch things with Japanese subtitles. I've searched a lot, even in Japanese websites, but apparently there's no subtitle culture like there is for english media.

If you guys know of any series in this website that have Japanese subtitles, or resources I can use to find them elsewhere, I'd really appreciate it.

Kofka19

Post by Kofka19 » Dec 8th, '13, 13:22

Yoidore Kotouji
:-)

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Dec 8th, '13, 13:48

Look at the subittles index page
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/subtitles.php

And use the filter "type" and "sub" at the torrent page
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/torrents ... nese&sort=

occultangle

Post by occultangle » Dec 8th, '13, 13:52

There are several hundred series with Japanese subs here. There is a subtitle index on the left of the main page here. Whether they will be timed to the specific raws you have is a potential problem, but lots of new series that get uploaded here have subs timed to them.

Also there is a site that posts untimed subs to nearly every single series that airs:
http://jpsubbers.x10.mx/Japanese-Subtitles/

You'll have to use a program like Aegisub to adjust the timing, but that's easy once you figure out how.

Also DVD/Blu-ray rips often have Japanese subs if you can locate them.

I've been watching Japanese drama with Japanese subs for years, and it is the best learning tool available in my opinion.

VIStrings

Post by VIStrings » Dec 8th, '13, 17:51

Thank you very much, guys. I find that reading only helps if I'm reading out loud and listening to english-subbed or raws isn't that effective. When I started learning I thought reading would be the hardest part of the language. Little did I know. With all the homonym compounds and Kanji with the same 音読み, building vocabulary is the true challenge.

About the non-timed subs, does this mean that they're just essentially scripts? Or are they functional subs, but not timed to any particular release? If it's the latter I'd probably be able to get by with just adjusting the timing of the subs within the media player.

Drazic
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Drazic » Dec 8th, '13, 18:59

VIStrings wrote: About the non-timed subs, does this mean that they're just essentially scripts? Or are they functional subs, but not timed to any particular release? If it's the latter I'd probably be able to get by with just adjusting the timing of the subs within the media player.
Yup, there are timecodes but they're still synced to the original tv broadcast which includes commercials and such.

VIStrings

Post by VIStrings » Dec 9th, '13, 18:40

Oh, this is much better. I watched two episodes today and it feels like words stick much better. I couldn't find Ryuusei no Kizuna in the search list w/Japanese hard subs but the sub index has a link to a topic with soft subs so I was really happy about that. Thank you very much, seriously.

Hmm... It might be worth it to ask... Do you guys know if there's a similar resource for Anime? I already read Novels (visual and otherwise), Manga and watch Live Action in Japanese, so if I could extend that to anime it'd be perfect.

occultangle

Post by occultangle » Dec 10th, '13, 12:14

Well, I bookmarked this site some time ago, but I've never tried downloading any of the subs because I rarely watch anime.
http://kitsunekko.net/

Also, on Tokyo Toshokan, there are episodes from the group [Kamigami], that seem to always have Chinese and Japanese subs.

DudieDoodles
Philippines

Re: JDrama with Japanese subtitles?

Post by DudieDoodles » Aug 30th, '21, 18:26

Can I ask if Aoi Tori (1997) has English subtitles already? I only joined here to watch every single series and movies of Yui Natsukawa.
Thank you in advance for any leads!

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Re: JDrama with Japanese subtitles?

Post by Keiko1981 » Aug 30th, '21, 18:30

DudieDoodles wrote: Aug 30th, '21, 18:26 Can I ask if Aoi Tori (1997) has English subtitles already? I only joined here to watch every single series and movies of Yui Natsukawa.
Thank you in advance for any leads!
No it doesn't.

Forum Rules viewtopic.php?f=2&t=165447

Where to Find Dramas and Subtitles
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=165119&p=1825603