[Discussion] Hanzawa Naoki (Sakai Masato, Ueto Aya)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

[Discussion] Hanzawa Naoki (Sakai Masato, Ueto Aya)

Post by yanie » Nov 4th, '13, 08:18

Title: Hanzawa Naoki
Genre: Business, economy, banking
Episodes: 10
Average viewership ratings: 29.07%
Broadcast network: TBS
Broadcast period: 2013-Jul-07 to 2013-Sep-22
Air time: Sunday 21:00
Theme song: Theme of Hanzawa Naoki ~Main Title~ by Hattori Takayuki

This drama deserves a discussion thread! Wow, I can't believe no one has made a discussion thread for this amazing drama. This drama is such a hot topic in Japan, as the final episode reached 42.2% rating in the Kanto region. "Baigaeshi!" catchphrase is practically mentioned in every conversations at Japanese business office now.

I just watched only up to 5 episodes (half of the series) but I fell in love with it immediately. I absolutely love business dramas like this since Karei-naru Ichizoku and Fumo Chitai. I feel like watching Fumo Chitai again now. (Karasawa Toshiaki and Takenouchi Yutaka's combi was just pure kakkoi-ness)

I just love watching how the lead is cornered to the edge, facing enemies from various sides, but he never give up, just keep struggling and crawled his way to victory. How the allies become enemies and enemies become allies. We don't know who is fooling whom. Plus... a little bit of 'soap opera' spice here and there, lol. This is what I love abt this genre, it's close to reality (personally coz I worked in a Japanese trading office), and yet we can see some exaggerated 'soap opera' moments, haha. Those people's expressions who cornered Hanzawa for no reason, reminds me of Cinderella's step mother and step sisters :lol And the gay guy from the Taxation Bureau, omg, he's awesome, haha... sasuga kabuki actor!

And what a lovely surprise for me, the actors playing the bankers here are quite new and fresh faces, but they can act! Sugoi! I mean, they're old, but I almost never see them in dramas before... usually they'd cast the same supporting actors for dramas like Shiroi Kyoto, Karei-naru, Fumo Chitai, etc. I'm usually not fond of the idea of Johnnys Jr member in a drama, but the Johnnys boy here was not bad.

As much as I love Ueto Aya as Hana, Hanzawa's wife here... but I feel that her role in the story is a bit off, like she doesn't belong there... she's too much not involved in the story, like she's just a flower vase there. Apparently Hana is the evil wife in the original novel... wow, I prefer to see Ueto in an evil role, rather than the perfect and ideal wife.

I noticed that the drama only covered the first two series of Hanzawa novels, and there's a 3rd and 4th series running... I'm planning to read the 3rd and 4th novel series now, yabaaii...... what has Hanzawa Naoki done to me.

I read that Soratobu Taiya was also adapted from a novel written by Hanzawa's novel writer, I'd definitely watch that too. We need more business dramas like this :cheers:
(rather than detective dramas that gets old and boring love stories XD)

salparadise

Post by salparadise » Nov 4th, '13, 08:26

It had a pretty big thread in which I wrote a huge response outlining all the major differences between the books and the drama...yet it was magically deleted from this forum. No idea why it was deleted, considering how good the drama is.

Don't worry, everyone knows about the show, just look at the English subs thread and number of users who downloaded.

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Nov 4th, '13, 08:59

Really??O_o I knew it's weird, this drama doesn't get a discussion thread. I think I saw the thread's title two months ago. And now I have watched the first half, I'd love to read other people's comments about it, and.... nothing. Too bad :(

Yeah, I checked the Subtitle thread, but there's rarely any comment abt the drama itself there, mostly just gratitude for the subs.

Too bad the previous discussion thread was deleted... If the previous one can be restored, I'll delete this one :-)

Thx for info!

Add: Btw, since you know the difference between the novel and the drama, may I ask abt Hana's character in the novel? She's described as the bad wife, how bad is she? Like, what kind of bad? Was she involved in the banking matters? Or is she just simply, like a wife who spends Hanzawa's money for useless stuff?

Antioch

Post by Antioch » Nov 29th, '13, 12:51

Dang, I missed the previous discussion thread.

Came to ask: will there be a Hanzawa Season 2? The first one ended with a very sharp cliffhanger. I haven't read the books, so I can't say, but based on the ending there's no way it stops there.

Anyone know?

Thanks! :salut:

yanie
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by yanie » Nov 30th, '13, 02:28

There has been no official announcement, but the cast, director and producer has expressed their strong wish to make a sequel. The director said he want to keep making the drama until Hanzawa Naoki become the chairman.

The book itself has 4 series, the drama only covered the first 2 series. The completed 3rd series, Hanzawa Naoki - The Lost Generation Strikes Back and the on-going 4th series, Hanzawa Naoki - Icarus, the Silverwing, has not been adapted yet.
The synopsis for The Lost Generation is here: http://www.booksfromjapan.jp/synopsis-i ... rikes-back
I have not find any English synopsis for Icarus, but according to the Japanese ones, the story was inspired by JAL's near-bankruptcy.

There was a rumor that "The Lost Generation Strikes Back" will be adapted into widescreen movie, but there has been no official confirmation for that.

Seems like the book itself still has a long way to go, if the author really want to tell Hanzawa's story till he become the chairman. So I'm guessing there will be sequels every 2-3 years :roll

Romance

Post by Romance » Dec 31st, '13, 05:00

Shame that this drama doesnt seem to get attention here at d-addicts. Best drama in a long long time. Blown away. 10/10

IDentity

Post by IDentity » Jan 11th, '14, 15:07

I agree, best series of 2013.

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Apr 20th, '14, 10:32

I think there will be a sequel. The cliffhanger is way too obviously and the TV Ratings were the highest since... i don't know, maybe 10 years ^^ (last episode 42 %!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Average 29 %!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!). Hanzawa Naoki (and Miss Pilot) are indeed the best drama of 2013.

panadol

Post by panadol » Jun 8th, '14, 03:39

Banks lend umbrella on a clear day and take it away on a rainy day
BANKS ARE EVILS!!! LOL

zenith777

Post by zenith777 » Jun 14th, '14, 07:45

panadol wrote:
Banks lend umbrella on a clear day and take it away on a rainy day
BANKS ARE EVILS!!! LOL
Ahaha... :lol Banks are people organization after all and people naturally tend to think themselves (reputation, how do I look in front of others) more than others :fear:

I can say that the producer of this drama surely very smart to bring out Sakai Masato's fast speech ability to this drama as he showed in Legal High before. The producer made use of it really well :salut: omedeto for breaking the record in TV ratings (around 29%) since Beautiful Life drama in 2000 and I read in other threads this drama becomes the most (hot) discussion topic in Japan magazines :cheers:

panadol

Post by panadol » Jun 19th, '14, 13:58

zenith777 wrote:
Ahaha... :lol Banks are people organization after all and people naturally tend to think themselves (reputation, how do I look in front of others) more than others :fear:

I can say that the producer of this drama surely very smart to bring out Sakai Masato's fast speech ability to this drama as he showed in Legal High before. The producer made use of it really well :salut: omedeto for breaking the record in TV ratings (around 29%) since Beautiful Life drama in 2000 and I read in other threads this drama becomes the most (hot) discussion topic in Japan magazines :cheers:
LOL YEAHH!!! definitely one of the best roles he's in including Legal High!!! Sakai Masato is GOOD!!!

Another favourite quote of mine
The boss takes credit for his subordinate's good deed. The subordinates takes responsibility for his boss's blunder.
LOL INDEED!!!