[Discussion] Yamada-kun to Nananin no Majo

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Post Reply
ices56
Posts: 52
Joined: Aug 6th, '07, 14:15

[Discussion] Yamada-kun to Nananin no Majo

Post by ices56 » Jul 27th, '13, 19:09

This looks like fun. Anyone else is interested ?

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Yamada-kun_to_Nananin_no_Majo

Synopsis:
Shiraishi Urara is the top student in her school. One day, due to an accidental kiss, Urara finds herself in the body of the school delinquent, Yamada Ryu! In trying to switch back to their own bodies, Urara and Ryo discovers that the body-switch-through-kissing is the work of 7 witches in their school. They need to discover the identities of these 7 witches in order for them to be able to switch back to their own bodies

Image
Last edited by ices56 on Jul 28th, '13, 05:57, edited 2 times in total.

Kyouki_
Posts: 35
Joined: Jun 28th, '12, 17:50
Location: Sweden

Post by Kyouki_ » Jul 27th, '13, 19:25

Love the manga so I'm really looking forward to this! Why did it have to beginn a couple of weeks after the rest of the season?!

User avatar
am00339
Posts: 897
Joined: Dec 7th, '08, 15:07
Location: New York

Post by am00339 » Jul 27th, '13, 21:31

Please ! sounds like fun....

ices56
Posts: 52
Joined: Aug 6th, '07, 14:15

Post by ices56 » Jul 28th, '13, 05:52

lets hope some people will share and sub. :D

JaJe
Posts: 249
Joined: Aug 7th, '09, 20:35
Location: on the silver cloud of dreams ^o^

Post by JaJe » Jul 28th, '13, 12:09

I have loved this manga ever since the first chapter came out! So the live-action better be awesome!!

User avatar
totally_0bsessed
Posts: 577
Joined: Apr 25th, '08, 05:52

Post by totally_0bsessed » Jul 29th, '13, 03:38

I really loved the manga and it's mangaka so I'm definitely looking forward to this!

anolibb
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 144
Joined: Feb 20th, '10, 23:31

Post by anolibb » Jul 29th, '13, 07:28

I was actually planning on subbing this one because I really like the leads! Plus I generally tend to like manga adaptations, so fingers crossed that some good quality raws will come out as well!

ices56
Posts: 52
Joined: Aug 6th, '07, 14:15

Post by ices56 » Jul 29th, '13, 17:40

anolibb wrote:I was actually planning on subbing this one because I really like the leads! Plus I generally tend to like manga adaptations, so fingers crossed that some good quality raws will come out as well!
onegaisimasu. subbing ni ganbatte kudasai. arigatou. :cheers:

Kyouki_
Posts: 35
Joined: Jun 28th, '12, 17:50
Location: Sweden

Post by Kyouki_ » Jul 29th, '13, 17:58

anolibb wrote:I was actually planning on subbing this one because I really like the leads! Plus I generally tend to like manga adaptations, so fingers crossed that some good quality raws will come out as well!
Good luck :salut:

User avatar
totally_0bsessed
Posts: 577
Joined: Apr 25th, '08, 05:52

Post by totally_0bsessed » Jul 30th, '13, 22:37

anolibb wrote:I was actually planning on subbing this one because I really like the leads! Plus I generally tend to like manga adaptations, so fingers crossed that some good quality raws will come out as well!
Yay! Thanks for the good news! I think if you let furransu know that you'll be doing the subs, he might be able to get the raws. Good luck! :salut:

soujirou
Posts: 1
Joined: Jul 31st, '13, 04:56

Post by soujirou » Jul 31st, '13, 05:43

Triendl Reina and Mariya Nishiuchi are both pretty
but Reina looks alot more like a urara imo

Kazama_Ichigo25
Posts: 1
Joined: Jan 17th, '13, 05:51

Post by Kazama_Ichigo25 » Aug 1st, '13, 20:54

I would love to see this!! It looks so funny xD

kotsukotsu
Posts: 46
Joined: Oct 2nd, '12, 19:10

Post by kotsukotsu » Aug 3rd, '13, 20:12

Could the people who have read the Manga provide any explanation as to exactly WHY they liked it?

The most minimal explanation would be helpful, in Japanese or English.

To many, the plot sounds rather idiotic, but if there is enough humor or clever plotting, that can be overcome. Hope this is a good series.

Thanks!

ices56
Posts: 52
Joined: Aug 6th, '07, 14:15

Post by ices56 » Aug 6th, '13, 20:26

^ with that kind of plot, funny things are supposed to happen.

anolibb
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 144
Joined: Feb 20th, '10, 23:31

Post by anolibb » Aug 6th, '13, 21:35

I have just read the first chapter as a warm up for the subbing process and I found it extremely entertaining! So far nothing has happened of course just a swap but that itself was very funny. If they manage to keep the lines as they are in the manga and the actors play their parts well enough, then the live drama should be very good. I can't wait to get on with the manga!

I try not to put my hopes up too high, but Switch Girl really did pull it off for me, so I expect Mariya to make this show good along with Yusuke. What a combo! :w00t:

User avatar
totally_0bsessed
Posts: 577
Joined: Apr 25th, '08, 05:52

Post by totally_0bsessed » Aug 6th, '13, 23:28

kotsukotsu wrote:Could the people who have read the Manga provide any explanation as to exactly WHY they liked it?

The most minimal explanation would be helpful, in Japanese or English.

To many, the plot sounds rather idiotic, but if there is enough humor or clever plotting, that can be overcome. Hope this is a good series.

Thanks!
I suck at explaining things but here's why I enjoy this manga. The mangaka managed to come up with a lot of hilarious scenarios for the characters. The plot may sound stupid at first but it's a page turner for me. It also helped that the team doing the scanlations are doing a very good job because the lines & the humor comes across to the reader.
anolibb wrote:I have just read the first chapter as a warm up for the subbing process and I found it extremely entertaining! So far nothing has happened of course just a swap but that itself was very funny. If they manage to keep the lines as they are in the manga and the actors play their parts well enough, then the live drama should be very good. I can't wait to get on with the manga!

I try not to put my hopes up too high, but Switch Girl really did pull it off for me, so I expect Mariya to make this show good along with Yusuke. What a combo! :w00t:
I try not to keep my hopes up too but hopefully they'll be able to pull it off. We'll be looking forward to your subs! :salut: :salut:

anolibb
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 144
Joined: Feb 20th, '10, 23:31

Post by anolibb » Aug 7th, '13, 18:25

Yeah... can't help having my hopes up with such a cast though (lol) Can't wait until the first episode is released (I hope the raw will come out...)


I can't find any trailers for the show!? Does anyone have a link for a trailer?

User avatar
alicechen
Posts: 35
Joined: Aug 10th, '09, 17:02

Post by alicechen » Aug 8th, '13, 00:17

This drama looks ridiculously funny already. So many kisses. :P

Trailer:
Image
A Virtual Voyage - "Drifting around the world...effortlessly."

anolibb
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 144
Joined: Feb 20th, '10, 23:31

Post by anolibb » Aug 8th, '13, 07:24

Thanks alicechen!! :D

It does look good! Can't wait till it's out :w00t:

User avatar
tumle
Posts: 29
Joined: Sep 13th, '11, 22:12

Post by tumle » Aug 11th, '13, 10:15

Raw up for this now. I watched about half of it and it looks like a very funny show. Nishiuchi Mariya is such a great cast for these school-life comedies. Love her!

anolibb
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 144
Joined: Feb 20th, '10, 23:31

Post by anolibb » Aug 11th, '13, 13:57

I think they could have made the show funnier but it was still reasonably cute so far. :)

xploring
Posts: 361
Joined: Jan 16th, '08, 01:48

Post by xploring » Aug 14th, '13, 04:40

Episode 1 was fun. I liked Nishiuchi Mariya in Switch Girl and she is good here too. Not really interested in the supporting characters though...

User avatar
totally_0bsessed
Posts: 577
Joined: Apr 25th, '08, 05:52

Post by totally_0bsessed » Aug 15th, '13, 00:05

anolibb wrote:I think they could have made the show funnier but it was still reasonably cute so far. :)
I agree. I think they could have made it funnier but it still was cute.

Also, I'm probably the only one who thinks something is weird with the pacing?
I think the first episode was a little too fast. :lol

Nishiuchi Mariya and Yamamoto Yusuke both did a good job. :cheers:
xploring wrote:Episode 1 was fun. I liked Nishiuchi Mariya in Switch Girl and she is good here too. Not really interested in the supporting characters though...
The supporting characters in the manga was quite fun to read but I'm really not feeling the actors they cast in the supporting roles so yeah, I'm not hyped for them. :lol

anolibb
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 144
Joined: Feb 20th, '10, 23:31

Post by anolibb » Aug 15th, '13, 11:03

totally_0bsessed wrote: I agree. I think they could have made it funnier but it still was cute.

Also, I'm probably the only one who thinks something is weird with the pacing?
I think the first episode was a little too fast. :lol
I thought the same too. I really liked in the manga's first chapter how Yamada realised about the swap and reacted to it - I thought they could have done much better with that. Also, in the manga, Yamada noticed the change almost straight away...(bit more realistic no?)

In the drama? He walked through an entire corridor without realising that he has long hair?? That wouldn't normally happen, so I was greatly disappointed with stupid things like that.

Also WTF with that "let me check your body" nonsense?! Checking her room out was much better. OK they wanted to save money and not create her bedroom, then still what about a diary or a locker or something? I totally found that weird.

I'm OK with the cast but I fear that they will be going towards lame rather than funny.

kotsukotsu
Posts: 46
Joined: Oct 2nd, '12, 19:10

Post by kotsukotsu » Aug 22nd, '13, 19:50

I know some people will object to the shallow character development, big holes in the plot (i.e. who cares about the identities of the other witches?), and overacting (always to be expected from a Manga-based drama). But I think there are enough humorous situations, and a musical score that sets the atmosphere very well. I really like this series so far. I can see how this would have appeal by targeting an adolescent audience concerned about their lack of abilities in the adult world. A fantasy featuring high school students with magical powers sounds like a sure winner, as per Harry Potter. Very clever idea.

Just.Me
Posts: 79
Joined: Apr 14th, '09, 17:11
Location: Neverland
Contact:

Post by Just.Me » Aug 22nd, '13, 22:47

amazing. but japanese drama develops the story so fast, come on guys you should already got used to this
Image

User avatar
totally_0bsessed
Posts: 577
Joined: Apr 25th, '08, 05:52

Post by totally_0bsessed » Aug 23rd, '13, 03:34

anolibb wrote:
I thought the same too. I really liked in the manga's first chapter how Yamada realised about the swap and reacted to it - I thought they could have done much better with that. Also, in the manga, Yamada noticed the change almost straight away...(bit more realistic no?)

In the drama? He walked through an entire corridor without realising that he has long hair?? That wouldn't normally happen, so I was greatly disappointed with stupid things like that.

Also WTF with that "let me check your body" nonsense?! Checking her room out was much better. OK they wanted to save money and not create her bedroom, then still what about a diary or a locker or something? I totally found that weird.

I'm OK with the cast but I fear that they will be going towards lame rather than funny.
I agree. I was hoping they could have added a few more jokes with the body swap especially on Shiraishi's part. :lol

but yeah what's done was done. I liked episode 2 a lot more than episode 1. It stood on it's own and it didn't seem to fast and too condensed. :D
Just.Me wrote:amazing. but japanese drama develops the story so fast, come on guys you should already got used to this
Yeah we know that. It's just that first episode felt too fast in a weird way (too many things happened and it felt cluttered) but then again, it's just our opinion. :scratch:

---
Curious as to how they'll handle episode 3 since it looked like they changed the story arc of the third witch. Looking forward to seeing the changes. :-)

YoshinoyaNamiCho
Posts: 11
Joined: Apr 11th, '07, 12:17
Location: Australia

Post by YoshinoyaNamiCho » Sep 1st, '13, 05:32

Has anyone started the subs for this one? I am very keen to watch but would like to watch with non-Japanese speakers too - subs would really help us out.

User avatar
totally_0bsessed
Posts: 577
Joined: Apr 25th, '08, 05:52

Post by totally_0bsessed » Sep 4th, '13, 05:17

YoshinoyaNamiCho wrote:Has anyone started the subs for this one? I am very keen to watch but would like to watch with non-Japanese speakers too - subs would really help us out.
The subs are being provided by anolibb. You can find them here:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_138927.htm

:-)

YoshinoyaNamiCho
Posts: 11
Joined: Apr 11th, '07, 12:17
Location: Australia

Post by YoshinoyaNamiCho » Sep 5th, '13, 10:12

Thanks so much!!

kotsukotsu
Posts: 46
Joined: Oct 2nd, '12, 19:10

Post by kotsukotsu » Sep 8th, '13, 20:19

This is the first time I've read the normal Manga version of a drama. The Japanese Manga version has about three times as much material as the live video drama version, so I recommend it if you really like this drama. Of course, it is for sale on Amazon Japan, and doesn't cost much. Numerous story lines are dropped and minor characters cut from the live video drama version, but considering the severe time constraints of the live video drama version, I think that is quite understandable. I'm very impressed with the adaptation to live video drama. This live video drama goes a long way toward being true to the essential theme of the Manga, although a lot of interesting material gets thrown out. For example, the exact limits of the abilities of the witches and Yamada are explained far more clearly in the Manga, and there is far more character development.

SomeCallMeChris
Posts: 4
Joined: Aug 20th, '11, 03:03

Post by SomeCallMeChris » Sep 15th, '13, 04:19

I haven't read the manga for this series, but I think I probably will later on.
I feel like this drama is a really good manga adaptation and will probably last in popularity like Yankee-kun, Nobuta, and Nodame. I know that's aiming pretty high, but I get the same feeling watching this series as I did watching those.

It is true, the series could be funnier - or could have more character development - or could have more backstory - ... but it can't do -all- of those at the same time in the time allotted. I think the balance chosen is pretty close to perfect between humor, story, and characters.

There's no one element that I can point to as being new or unique to this story, but even so, the characters and the plot don't feel rehashed. I'd rather have a story that feels alive while reusing classic elements than have a story with a unique gimmick that is otherwise stale. I think the former is exactly what this story is.

oasis789
Posts: 28
Joined: Dec 21st, '12, 20:30

Post by oasis789 » Sep 25th, '13, 04:34

As a manga reader I was already skeptical about this since the manga is still ongoing, so the drama adaptation wouldn't really have any kind of resolution.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: snk073 and 2 guests