[Discussion] Iki mo Dekinai Natsu

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
kotsukotsu

Post by kotsukotsu » Oct 2nd, '12, 19:22

This drama is about family registry problems (although focused on the 300 day issue), something we are all familar with from frequent reporting on the news and the numerous times when the family registry shows up in dramas. Someday Japan will have to dump this system, just like other countries in Asia did, and for the very same reasons, not just the 300 day problem. The problem is the the system is a family-unit-based registration system, rather than a civil (individual) registration system like we have in most of the world's countries. So the Japanese system can fail when there is something non-standard about the family unit (such as illegitimacy, foreign parent, wife retaining maden name, etc.). See the following URL for details of some of the problems. There are stateless children born in Japan every year as a result of this out-dated system.

http://japanfocus.org/-David-Chapman/3565

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Oct 26th, '12, 02:30

I am so late with dramas this year! Just started this drama and still on the first episode. I hope it is entertaining...

SusieQ

Post by SusieQ » Oct 26th, '12, 08:18

kotsukotsu wrote:This drama is about family registry problems (although focused on the 300 day issue), something we are all familar with from frequent reporting on the news and the numerous times when the family registry shows up in dramas. Someday Japan will have to dump this system, just like other countries in Asia did, and for the very same reasons, not just the 300 day problem. The problem is the the system is a family-unit-based registration system, rather than a civil (individual) registration system like we have in most of the world's countries. So the Japanese system can fail when there is something non-standard about the family unit (such as illegitimacy, foreign parent, wife retaining maden name, etc.). See the following URL for details of some of the problems. There are stateless children born in Japan every year as a result of this out-dated system.

http://japanfocus.org/-David-Chapman/3565
You raise some great points and your post is very informative.

But this drama is NOT about the family registry issues. Or rather, that fades into the background when Rei's personal issues and family melodrama come into view. In the end, the series says little against the family registry and 300 day problem, and spends more time highlighting Japan's love of shaming people and making a wonderful young girl out to be a pathetic drama queen.

adami

Post by adami » Nov 20th, '12, 00:56

So, anyone knows where to find the ost of the series?

Thanks anyway you guys.

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Jan 22nd, '13, 05:34

so I didn't watch any J-dramas in 2012 and so I picked this one because of Eguchi Yosuke but I don't know normally I don't have a problem with age gap dramas but well Takei Emi's still just a teenager and Eguchi Yosuke is 41 that bothers me.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Feb 24th, '13, 02:24

Im only on ep3 and for some reason I feel like they should have dragged out the main issue a bit more. It seems like they mentioned it too soon and now its a bit saggy. Maybe it will pick up soon. IMO Takei Emi acts better with older men than ones her age, for some reason. I'm sticking with this drama but I hope it gets good real soon. *fingers crossed*

noobs
Deactivated

Post by noobs » Feb 24th, '13, 03:49

you get the soundtrack in HMV

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Mar 13th, '13, 01:05

Finally! I finished this drama yesterday. I think it took me 2 months to complete it. Just wasn't as dramatic as I thought BUT towards the end it did pick up a bit. I only wish that there was more of a love rivalry but it was still a good drama.