RECOMMENDED/FAVORITE JDRAMAS (ask for suggestions here)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
doce

Post by doce » Feb 7th, '07, 06:13

i havent seen many jdramas but i love them :wub: . My top 3 in order would be:

1. Hana Yori Dango (1 and 2)
2. 1 litre of tears
3. Kimi wa Petto

{..ARRIGATO..}

{.. JAPANESE DRAMA RECOMMENDATION PLZ..}

Post by {..ARRIGATO..} » Feb 10th, '07, 19:36

OHIO!!
HALLA!!

sup all?

anyway im new in this forum , and recently HIGHLY ADDICTED to this AMAAZING JAPANESE drama called HANA YORI DANGO. BEST SERIES II EVER SAW IN MY LIFE!!! xD xD xD. Wub Wub Wub Wub

i reached season 2 , and i worried that season 2 may finish, and that means i'll have to wait till season 3 releases, which will kill me. :unsure:

so does anyone reccomend me on watching any other japanese drama that HAS THE SAME LEVEL OF AMAZEMENTS as HANA YORI DANGO ? something ADDICTIVE and makes me wanna know what happens next, something that shocking and addicts me from THE FIRST EPISODE, just like HANA YORI DANGO, perhaps even better popularity :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :) :)

THANX :D :D

ARRIGATOO :D :D :w00t:

8thSin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by 8thSin » Feb 10th, '07, 20:30

{..ARRIGATO..}

Post by {..ARRIGATO..} » Feb 10th, '07, 20:51

OHIO!!
HALLA!!

sup all?

anyway im new in this forum , and recently HIGHLY ADDICTED to this AMAAZING JAPANESE drama called HANA YORI DANGO. BEST SERIES II EVER SAW IN MY LIFE!!! xD xD xD. Wub Wub Wub Wub

i reached season 2 , and i worried that season 2 may finish, and that means i'll have to wait till season 3 releases, which will kill me. Unsure

so does anyone reccomend me on watching any other japanese drama that HAS THE SAME LEVEL OF AMAZEMENTS as HANA YORI DANGO ? something ADDICTIVE and makes me wanna know what happens next, something that shocking and addicts me from THE FIRST EPISODE, just like HANA YORI DANGO, perhaps even better popularity w00t w00t w00t w00t Smile Smile

THANX Big Smile Big Smile

ARRIGATOO Big Smile Big Smile w00t

doce

Post by doce » Feb 10th, '07, 22:03

{..ARRIGATO..} wrote:OHIO!!
HALLA!!

sup all?

i reached season 2 , and i worried that season 2 may finish, and that means i'll have to wait till season 3 releases, which will kill me. Unsure

so does anyone reccomend me on watching any other japanese drama that HAS THE SAME LEVEL OF AMAZEMENTS as HANA YORI DANGO ? something ADDICTIVE and makes me wanna know what happens next, something that shocking and addicts me from THE FIRST EPISODE, just like HANA YORI DANGO, perhaps even better popularity w00t w00t w00t w00t Smile Smile

ARRIGATOO Big Smile Big Smile w00t
i love hana yori dango too. season 2 isnt complete yet.

i reckon hana yori dango is the best but 1 litre of tears follows for sure :P . 1litre of tears is sooooooo sad people cry buckets of tears. Its based on a true story.

This is from dramawiki
15-year-old Ikeuchi Aya was an ordinary girl, the daughter of a family who works at a tofu shop, and a soon-to-be high schooler. However, odd things have been happening to Aya lately. She has been falling down often and walks strange. Her mother, Shioka, takes Aya to see the doctor, and he informs Shioka that Aya has spinocerebellar degeneration - a terrible disease where the cerebellum of the brain gradually deteriorates to the point where the victim cannot walk, speak, write, or eat. A cruel disease, as it does not affect the mind in the least. How will Aya react when told about her disease? And how will Aya live from now on?

This beautifully moving drama is based on the real-life struggles of a 15-year-old girl named Aya who suffered from an incurable disease, but lived life to the fullest until her death at 25. The script is based on the diary Aya kept writing until she could no longer hold a pen. The book that later followed entitled “One Litre of Tears" has sold over 1.1 million copies in Japan alone.

Aya's only wish was “to live." By carefully depicting Aya's earnest desire to live, and the love of her family, friends, and lover, the drama, “One Litre of Tears" wishes to deliver her simple but strong message: “Just being alive is such a lovely and wonderful thing."

CYA 8)

{..ARRIGATO..}

Post by {..ARRIGATO..} » Feb 11th, '07, 19:51

ARRIGATOO Big Smile Big Smile w00t[/quote]

i love hana yori dango too. season 2 isnt complete yet.

i reckon hana yori dango is the best but 1 litre of tears follows for sure :P . 1litre of tears is sooooooo sad people cry buckets of tears. Its based on a true story.

This is from dramawiki
15-year-old Ikeuchi Aya was an ordinary girl, the daughter of a family who works at a tofu shop, and a soon-to-be high schooler. However, odd things have been happening to Aya lately. She has been falling down often and walks strange. Her mother, Shioka, takes Aya to see the doctor, and he informs Shioka that Aya has spinocerebellar degeneration - a terrible disease where the cerebellum of the brain gradually deteriorates to the point where the victim cannot walk, speak, write, or eat. A cruel disease, as it does not affect the mind in the least. How will Aya react when told about her disease? And how will Aya live from now on?

This beautifully moving drama is based on the real-life struggles of a 15-year-old girl named Aya who suffered from an incurable disease, but lived life to the fullest until her death at 25. The script is based on the diary Aya kept writing until she could no longer hold a pen. The book that later followed entitled “One Litre of Tears" has sold over 1.1 million copies in Japan alone.

Aya's only wish was “to live." By carefully depicting Aya's earnest desire to live, and the love of her family, friends, and lover, the drama, “One Litre of Tears" wishes to deliver her simple but strong message: “Just being alive is such a lovely and wonderful thing."

CYA 8)[/quote]

omg

im SOO GONNA WATCH 1 litre of tears after reading the summary of it xD

THAAANX!!!!!

{..ARRIGATO..}

Post by {..ARRIGATO..} » Feb 11th, '07, 19:56

btw where can i get all >> 1 litre of tears << episodes in ENGLISH SUBS plzz,
havent found any in here :(

plzz help :(

BOGCHI

Post by BOGCHI » Feb 11th, '07, 20:03

{..ARRIGATO..} wrote:btw where can i get all >> 1 litre of tears << episodes in ENGLISH SUBS plzz,
havent found any in here :(

plzz help :(
http://mullemeck.serveftp.org/jps_beta/ sign up, then search "1 litre of tears"

Mwulf

Post by Mwulf » Feb 13th, '07, 00:27

~___~

I don't feel like searching back through the posts, but I've gotta thank everyone that recommended My Little Chef and Trick... I just finished watching the Trick Movie (and all three seasons) and absoultely loved it... it was especially good to see it after MLC because Abe Hiroshi's roles are so radically different....

Anyone know if he (Hiroshi) stars in any other good, funny shows? Nakama Yukie was good as always, but Hiroshi really stole the show humor-wise.... I gotta see more.

dokbupgi

Post by dokbupgi » Feb 13th, '07, 05:50

hello Mwulf. If you like abe in funny role i'd recommend Kekkon Dekinai Odoko (2006 drama) I love it!

simplicy

Post by simplicy » Feb 14th, '07, 15:38

imissjpn wrote:
hikaru_11 wrote:why don't we make a top something dorama list here?i just wish they update it regularly. sorry if this had been suggested/insisted too many times.
here are the rankings I tallied up after going through 60 pages of your guys recommendations!! Now it's easier to see what dramas you decide to watch next by looking at these overall rankings. Enjoy!

(pgs 1-60 rankings ed. 2)

1. GTO: Great Teacher Onizuka ( 74 )
2. Gokusen ( 62 )

3. 1 Litre of Tears ( 52 )
3. Hana Yori Dango ( 52 )

4. Orange Days ( 50 )
5. Beautiful Life ( 46 )
6. Nobuta wo Produce ( 43 )
7. Densha Otoko ( 42 )
8. Long Vacation ( 41 )
9. Pride ( 39 )
10. Summer Snow ( 33 )

11. Last Christmas ( 28 )
11. Sekai no Chuushin de, Ai wo Sakebu (28 )

12. Good Luck!! ( 24 )
12. Love Generation ( 24 )

13. Kimi wa Petto ( 23 )

14. Majo no Jouken - Forbidden Love ( 21 )
14. My Boss My Hero ( 21 )

15. Hero ( 20 )

16. H2 ( 19 )
16. A Million Stars Fall From the Sky ( 19 )

17. Engine ( 18 )
17. Mukodono! ( 18 )

18. Strawberry on the Shortcake ( 16 )
18. Trick ( 16 )
18. Waterboys ( 16 )

19. Kamisama Mou Sukoshi Dake ( 15 )
19. Kou Kou Kyoushi ( 15 )

20. Stand Up!! ( 13 )
20. Tiger & Dragon ( 13 )

21. IWGP: Ikebukuro West Gate Park ( 12 )
21. Lunch Queen ( 12 )
21. Sleeping Forest ( 12 )

22. Virgin Road ( 11 )
23. Nodame Cantibile ( 10 )

24. Kekkon Dekinai Otoko ( 9 )
24. Kurosagi ( 9 )
24. Love Revolution ( 9 )

25. Antique ( 8 )
25. Attention Please ( 8 )
25. Dragon Zakura ( 8 )
25. Joou no Kyoushitsu ( 8 )
25. Love Letters ( 8 )
25. My Little Chef ( 8 )
25. Odoru Daisousasen ( 8 )
25. Shomuni ( 8 )
25. Yamato Nadeshiko ( 8 )

26. Beach Boys ( 7 )
26. News no Onna ( 7 )
26. Shotgun Marriage ( 7 )
26. Tokyo Love Story ( 7 )

27. Itoshi Kimi e ( 6 )
27. Kisarazu Cat’s Eye ( 6 )
27. Oyaji ( 6 )
27. Star no Koi ( 6 )

28. Anego ( 5 )
28. Attack No. 1 ( 5 )
28. Ganbatte Ikimasshoi ( 5 )
28. Hotman ( 5 )
28. Kikenna Aneki ( 5 )
28. Taiyou no Kisetsu ( 5 )
28. Tatta Hitotsu no Koi ( 5 )
28. Yan Papa ( 5 )

T-29:
Ace wo Nerae, Aoi Tori, Heaven’s Coin, Hoshi no Kinka, Friends, Moto Kare, Sapuri, To Heart (4 votes)

T-30::
Ai no Uta, Ame to Yume no Ato ni, Boku Dake no Madonna, Brother Beat, Byakuyakou, Gal Circle, Golden Bowl, Itsumo Futari de, Keizoku, Koi ga Shitai x3, Over Time, Taiyou no Uta , Yasha, Yoshitsune (3 votes)

T-31:
Akimahende, Algernon ni Hanataba, Boku no Aruku Michi, Cheap Love, Heaven Cannot Wait, Hitonatsu no Papa e, Home & Away, Ima Ai ni Yukimasu, Kami wa Saikoro wo Furanai, Kinpachi Sensei, Koi ni Ochitara, Konna Koi no Hanashi, Love & Peace, Nanisama, Osama no Restaurant, Otousan, Renai Kekkon no Rule, Satorare, Second Chance, Shiroi Kyoto, Shota no Sushi, Slow Dance, Tokyo Wankei, Under the Same Roof, Wedding Planner (2 votes)

Total: 110 Dramas

* some users made mutiple posts recommending a drama they already recommended. Therefore, I only count one vote for each drama they recommend allowing the rankings to be fairly accurate :mrgreen:

THANKS so MUCH!

4 me.....i havnt watched much japanese ones.......except

hana yori dango 1 and 2
gokusen

both r in my best of the best list. :P

Neji-sama

More serious shows?

Post by Neji-sama » Feb 15th, '07, 05:09

Well... I've watched IWGP and I liked it because of how serious and real it felt. Wasn't your typical corny show :P. So now i'm after some shows that are similar to it but can't find any.

So umm if you know any series that has more reality / serious feeling to it, please post here.

PS: No shows like GTO / Gokusen where they lecture about life 24/7 >_<.

chamcham

Post by chamcham » Feb 15th, '07, 05:25

Actually, you havne't finished IWGP yet.

There's the 90-minute special that takes place after
the series. IMHO, it's the real ending to the series... :-)

There's nothing quite like IWGP. It's the best drama I've
ever seen IMHO. So don't expect dramas to get any better.

In terms of serious, I loved Strawberry on the Shortcake and
Iryu (Team Medical Dragon).

There's also:
Slow Dance
Koi ni Ochitara
Unfair (might be more what you're looking for, the soft subs for the first 8 eps
are on D-addicts, last 3 are currently being translated at the same time)

Le Bel Homme / Utsukushii Hito (might be harder to find)
Nodame Cantabile (OK, NOT serious at all, but I still recommend it)

If you're into movies, I'd recommend:
All about Lily Chou Chou
Swallowtail Butterfly
Blood and Bones
Battle Royale
Daremo Shiranai (Nobody Knows)

dokbupgi

Post by dokbupgi » Feb 15th, '07, 07:11

thanks chamcham. i like iryu and unfair too. both unfair series and sp are good. and the finale movie is coming soon (mar2007)!!

and i also enjoyed nodame cantabile very much.

i'll be starting on trick1. will sure try to get iwgp after hearing so many accolades.

Neji-sama

Post by Neji-sama » Feb 16th, '07, 02:29

chamcham wrote:Actually, you havne't finished IWGP yet.
There's also:
Slow Dance
Koi ni Ochitara
Unfair (might be more what you're looking for, the soft subs for the first 8 eps
are on D-addicts, last 3 are currently being translated at the same time)
Yes i have seen Strawberry on the Shortcake. Tried watching Nodame Cantabile, wasn't something for me ;(.

Seen all of those movies except for Daremo Shirenai and Swallowtail Butterfly =d.

but i'll check out the other ones, thanks.

I'm still looking for some "serious" shows so if anyone know any, please write here :).
Does Stand Up!! count as a serious show btw? Stand Up!! and IWGP are my favourites ^^

nela302

Post by nela302 » Feb 16th, '07, 02:34

thanks simplicy for the list. now i cannot run out of things to watch. i watched like 11 of the show o ur list so far.

puccaching

MY FAVORITE JDRAMAS

Post by puccaching » Feb 16th, '07, 17:54

i have seen so many jdramas but these are by far my favorites:

TEAR JERKERS
1. 1 litre of tears
2. taiyou no kisetsu
3. beautiful life
4. majo no jouken

COMEDIC
1. hana yori dango
2. anego
3. hana yori dango 2
4. mukodono (my husband)

ROMANCE & HUMAN DRAMA
1. kimi wa petto
2. tokyo tower 2007
3. ruri no shima
4. 14 sai no haha
5. koi ga shitai x3
Last edited by puccaching on Feb 17th, '07, 15:54, edited 1 time in total.

Mwulf

Post by Mwulf » Feb 17th, '07, 04:43

When you walk into a room filled with people you don't know, do you start shouting?

Please... turn off the caps lock.

ngrl08

Post by ngrl08 » Feb 17th, '07, 04:58

Well I just started watching this Jdrama and it's so hilarious. Good so far. So I suggest Nodame Cantabile Live Action.

camircase

Post by camircase » Feb 19th, '07, 22:48

What about a good drama not just about love or about the ridiculous japanese comedy. There are some that are very good, but I'm kinda sick of them..... I want something new...

AboutDrama

Post by AboutDrama » Feb 20th, '07, 08:35

What about a good drama not just about love or about the ridiculous japanese comedy. There are some that are very good, but I'm kinda sick of them..... I want something new...
Here are some suggestions, not sure if you'll like them:
Ryuuten no ouhi - Saigo no koutei (War and History... Love theme is not extreme)
Nemureru mori (Mystery)
Chuushingura 1/47 (History)
Engine (About Life... Love theme weak)

Mwulf

Post by Mwulf » Feb 28th, '07, 06:31

~Whee~

Just finished a giant Russian-history test, followed by finishing Dragon Zakura... excellent series... it really left me wanting more, which is a kind of unpleasant feeling... ah well, off to watch Kekkon Dekinai Otoko next!

BTW, why is it so many characters end up hospitalized in Jdramas? It's really getting kind of annoying.

dokbupgi

Post by dokbupgi » Feb 28th, '07, 09:27

camircase wrote:What about a good drama not just about love or about the ridiculous japanese comedy. There are some that are very good, but I'm kinda sick of them..... I want something new...
Hi camircase, have u watched Unfair (suspense) or Iryu (medical?

keiei

Post by keiei » Feb 28th, '07, 10:34

is there any jdramas with morning musume members? ive seen some of maki goto, was wondering if any other members have done any jdramas :lol

nychandball

Post by nychandball » Mar 2nd, '07, 20:36

hey does this site have JDRAMA award shows?? if so what is it called and does it have subtitles?

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Mar 3rd, '07, 01:22

No, and no
Jdrama Chinese fansub index 2006 | 2007

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Mar 3rd, '07, 19:42

keiei wrote:is there any jdramas with morning musume members? ive seen some of maki goto, was wondering if any other members have done any jdramas :lol
They've had various cameos in series here and there as well as TV specials, but off the top of my head for roles in full dramas:
Nakazawa Yuko - Gokusen, Kochira Hon Ikegami Sho series, Homemaker, Beauty 7
Goto Maki - Maria, Yanpapa, Yoshitsune
Kago Ai - Kochira Hon Ikegami Sho series
Abe Natsumi - Koinu no Waltz, Nurseman
Yaguchi Mari - Sentou no Musume, Gal Circle

Not MM, but Hello Project related:
Matsuura Aya - Aijou Ippon

erm... that's all that's coming to mind now....

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Mar 3rd, '07, 20:10

Yep, i think you got all the full drama roles, I think there are lots of cameos in Taiga doramas, etc

There were also a few TV movies/SP by Goto (Yubi) and Abe (Prison Girl).

aatm

Post by aatm » Mar 9th, '07, 23:22

Still a newbie to the doramas, but here's what I've seen:

HYD
Gokusen
Gokusen 2
Nobuta wo Produce
Kurosagi
Ichi Ritoru no Namida
Taiyou no Uta
Sekai no chuushin de, ai wo sakebu

Currently watching Byakuyakou and, unfortunately, HYD2.

I highly recommend:

- Ichi Ritoru no Namida
- Taiyou no Uta
- Sekai no chuushin de, ai wo sakebu

can anyone recommend one similar to those to me?

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Mar 10th, '07, 20:27

aatm wrote: - Ichi Ritoru no Namida
- Taiyou no Uta
- Sekai no chuushin de, ai wo sakebu

can anyone recommend one similar to those to me?
In other words, you're looking for romance dramas where somebody is seriously ill and/or dying? :lol

Try these:
Beautiful Life
Summer Snow
Kamisama mou sukoshi dake

Boy, that would be totally ODing on the genre... :fear:

aatm

Post by aatm » Mar 10th, '07, 21:47

funny thing was that when i watched them, i didn't know anything about them, except that they had some of the best ratings over at jdorama. really, anything is good. i just finished byakuyakou, which
is similar in ending, but the means of getting to the ending
is....just,....wow. excellent series, but very dark.

i guess, basically anything similar to what i've seen would be great. i started watching densha otoko, but i just really couldn't get through the first episode. does it get better, because of it's more of the same like in the first episode, then i don't think i want to watch it...

as i'm still new to jdorama, I will take any suggestions really. i'll read through more of this thread to see what everyone likes, but i have seen Beautiful Life a few times...listed i mean. i haven't seen it yet.

but yeah, i've seen both gokusens, and i enjoyed them, and byakuyakou i enjoyed as well. i have IWGP and i read that it's like byakuyakou, sort of. so maybe i'll watch that next.

:salut:

Kailey1710

Post by Kailey1710 » Mar 14th, '07, 00:04

Let's see, my all time faves are....

Kimi Wa Petto <3
Hana Yori Dango
Gokusen

:blink I just noticed all of these dramas have matsu-jun in them! I got into HYD because of him, but the other two I didn't even know he was in (but considering I'm a mucho fan of his... no complaints!)

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE for anyone to give me some suggestions on a drama to watch next! I just got done with Gokusen2, and without a drama to watch I feel funny :mrgreen: Most of what I like are comedies are romance. Thanks!

domochan

Post by domochan » Mar 14th, '07, 03:32

Kailey1710 wrote:Let's see, my all time faves are....

Kimi Wa Petto <3
Hana Yori Dango
Gokusen

:blink I just noticed all of these dramas have matsu-jun in them! I got into HYD because of him, but the other two I didn't even know he was in (but considering I'm a mucho fan of his... no complaints!)

I would LOVE LOVE LOVE for anyone to give me some suggestions on a drama to watch next! I just got done with Gokusen2, and without a drama to watch I feel funny :mrgreen: Most of what I like are comedies are romance. Thanks!
What a coincidence. Those are my favs too!!

There is Hana Yori Dango 2 now. :D

bishoujosteph

Recommendations.

Post by bishoujosteph » Mar 14th, '07, 21:31

Hi all, long time lurker/downloader - first time poster.

I was wondering if you guys had any recommendations for Jdramas based on some of the things I like listed below..

Live actions:
Hana Yori Dango 1 & 2 (LOVED them)
Hana Kimi's Taiwanese version (wish they'd make a Jdrama)

Manga/Anime (not sure if any of these are live actions with different names or what):
Fruits Basket
Ouran Koko Host Club
Cheeky Angel
School Rumble
Suzuka

Basically that's a little of what I like. I like the slice of life/school life/romance type junk. I'm not really a sappy person, so between anime, manga and dramas I get my fix :P

Any recommendations would be awesomely appriciated! :D

Neji-sama

Post by Neji-sama » Mar 14th, '07, 22:06

Nobuta wo Produce(probably already seen it?)
Kisarazu Cat's Eye <-- this is the best drama I have yet to have watched. for more info about it; http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Kisarazu_Cat%27s_Eye
My Boss My Hero
Last edited by Neji-sama on Mar 14th, '07, 22:10, edited 1 time in total.

groink

Post by groink » Mar 14th, '07, 22:09

The link points to the most awesome Japanese drama EVER!!!!

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_10409.htm

--- groink
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.

bishoujosteph

Post by bishoujosteph » Mar 14th, '07, 22:58

Groink: No need to be that way about it. I noticed it just a few moments ago actually and was going to post a reply to apologize when I just checked now for updates, but I suppose some people just have to be rude to get through the day.

Thank you a lot dxtr. I'll check those out, I've never heard of them before. :)

If an admin/mod could please delete this thread or link it into the main sticky that'd be great. Thanks in advance.

Kailey1710

Post by Kailey1710 » Mar 15th, '07, 00:03

domochan wrote:

Kimi Wa Petto <3
Hana Yori Dango
Gokusen

What a coincidence. Those are my favs too!!

:wub: ah cool, those are great dramas! Yeah i've also seen HYD2.. not liking it as much.
*cough* byotch mom *cough*

There is Hana Yori Dango 2 now. :D

SnowWolf

Post by SnowWolf » Mar 17th, '07, 03:51

I'm currently watching My Boss My Hero and I'm loving the funny date scenes. Can anybody recommend some more comedy romances set in the school setting? :cheers:

Filmfan

Would appreciate any romantic comedy suggestions

Post by Filmfan » Mar 17th, '07, 06:08

Hi. I'm searching for anything romantic comedy. I really, really love Hana Yori Dango 1 & 2, and enjoyed Kimi Wa Petto. I'm not very much into drama/romance unless it's really awesome, highly original, or has at least one guy eye candy to make it worthwhile. I've seen Nobuta Wo Produce, and I liked it at first but, it began to wane and the end killed me. I was like, "What the heck? The two guys went together?! What about the girl?" And Gokusen didn't really have enough romance in it.

Trying to watch Nodame Cantabile at the moment--although it's a little bit too over-the-top, too cartoonish for me--I'm most likely to finish it anyway just to see how it ends. Plus, the guy has really cool hair, and not too bad looking either.

But any other suggestions would be really great. Thanks!

faithsia

Post by faithsia » Mar 17th, '07, 07:59

Kimi Wa Petto <3
Hana Yori Dango
Gokusen

lol... those are my fav jdramas too!!! matsujun is so kawaii!! oh and yeah, he's having a new drama this april, it's called Bambino.... can't wait to see it!!! ^.^v
Image Image yaMaPi!!!!
-made by moi ^.^

MitsukaiKuroi

Re: Would appreciate any romantic comedy suggestions

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Mar 18th, '07, 07:04

Filmfan wrote:<snip>
Trying to watch Nodame Cantabile at the moment--although it's a little bit too over-the-top, too cartoonish for me--I'm most likely to finish it anyway just to see how it ends. Plus, the guy has really cool hair, and not too bad looking either
I thought it was just me! I am trying to watch Nodame as well and it is just not grabbing me but I want to see the ending as well. I also am not crazy about Nobuta Wo Produce... It had it's moments but left me flat.

I know you said that you like eye candy but... I am not a romantic sort of person but I LOVE Densha Otoko! I don't know if you have seen Densha Otoko but it is one of my absolute faves!!! It is so kawaii!!! And even though the lead is not attractive you almost start finding something really adorable about him! It is funny as well! I highly recommend it!

My Boss My Hero is REALLY funny! I was cracking up the whole time! has it cute romantic moments too. This one is worth checking out.

nightwing66

Any Suggestion For A Good Romantic Comedy Drama?

Post by nightwing66 » Mar 19th, '07, 05:54

something like SHIMOKITA GLORY DAYS. also, i prefer if the dramas are intended for mature audiences as well, similar to GLORY DAYS. :) thanks!

<3 YUMA ASAMI

Filmfan

Re: Would appreciate any romantic comedy suggestions

Post by Filmfan » Mar 19th, '07, 19:08

MitsukaiKuroi wrote:
Filmfan wrote:<snip>
Trying to watch Nodame Cantabile at the moment--although it's a little bit too over-the-top, too cartoonish for me--I'm most likely to finish it anyway just to see how it ends. Plus, the guy has really cool hair, and not too bad looking either
I thought it was just me! I am trying to watch Nodame as well and it is just not grabbing me but I want to see the ending as well. I also am not crazy about Nobuta Wo Produce... It had it's moments but left me flat.

I know you said that you like eye candy but... I am not a romantic sort of person but I LOVE Densha Otoko! I don't know if you have seen Densha Otoko but it is one of my absolute faves!!! It is so kawaii!!! And even though the lead is not attractive you almost start finding something really adorable about him! It is funny as well! I highly recommend it!

My Boss My Hero is REALLY funny! I was cracking up the whole time! has it cute romantic moments too. This one is worth checking out.
Thanks MitsukaiKuroi! I really appreciate your suggestions. I'm definitely going to check it out. Judging from the synopsis of both shows it seems interesting. And I know, I totally agree with you about Nodame and Nobuta. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

And I don't mind if the guy isn't too good looking but if he charms the heck out of an audience and makes me see him differently then I would definitely love to see that show.

Oh, are there any movies that you can recommend. Someone just uploaded Mao, Inoue's "Check it out, yo!" So I'm going to watch that.

Arigatou Gozaimasu!

ElementCircle

Post by ElementCircle » Mar 20th, '07, 07:06

I'm still pretty new to D-Addicts and the whole j-drama scene. I spent about 3 years in Japan and never watched any dramas, though I certainly noticed when they started Musashi. ^_^

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some dramas: I like things dealing with feudal Japan, samurai, Shinto *fantasy* (i.e. onmyouji and other magical monks) and demons, etc.

Oh and I know this is a drama series forum, but if someone could PLEASE help me find good English-subbed versions of Onmyoji 1 & 2, I would really appreciate it! ^_^

ElementCircle

Post by ElementCircle » Mar 20th, '07, 11:18

Ok, I've been reading through this topic, page after page. I've found a few good recommendations here and there, but for the most part, it's a bunch of stuff and nonsense.

It seems to me that people are way to concerned with superficial things ("Oooooh this hot guy is in it!!") or they are just watching dramas because they are dramas and don't put much thought into what they are watching.:thumbdown:

Kudos to the people that actually give a damn and put a little thought and/or effort into their recommendations and actually chose them because they were good, and not because some hottie was in it. :thumright:

Also, I have seen VERY few mentions of Taiga Dramas. What's up with that?:glare:

MitsukaiKuroi

Post by MitsukaiKuroi » Mar 21st, '07, 08:37

ElementCircle wrote:
It seems to me that people are way to concerned with superficial things ("Oooooh this hot guy is in it!!") or they are just watching dramas because they are dramas and don't put much thought into what they are watching.:thumbdown:
On this I agree... I don't watch OR recommend dramas based on eye candy. When I recommended Byakuyakou people said "But the guy in it is not really kawaii!" WHAT THE? I thought we were suppossed to be watching great stories??? I can look at rock vids for sexy guys anytime.

In my dramas I want a gripping story or at least one that keeps me entertained.

I will have to check out some Taiga dramas. Which historical one would you recommend me finding and watching??? :-) Is Fūrin Kazan any good???

groink

Post by groink » Mar 21st, '07, 09:01

ElementCircle wrote:Also, I have seen VERY few mentions of Taiga Dramas. What's up with that?:glare:
- Too much thinking involved.
- Reminds people of social studies or history.
- Even people dressed to be kabuki actors aren't that attractive.
- Cannot comprehend with the period in which they take place. No cell phones, computers, etc.
- Absolutely no kissing scenes!
- Oh yeah, and they're made by NHK, the network for old people.

As for me, I watch NHK dramas almost exclusively! And the storyline is EVERYTHING! As for taiga drama recommendations, it is really hard to recommend stuff seeing not that many of them are actually available. With what's out there, I would have to recommend Shinsengumi! because I like sword fighting!!!

--- groink

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Mar 21st, '07, 09:30

I agree with everything you said ElementCircle...

Musashi and Toshiie to Matsu are two of my favourite taiga dramas, well favourite dramas actually.

Fuurin Kazan is also worth watching so far.

ElementCircle

Post by ElementCircle » Mar 21st, '07, 09:43

groink wrote:
ElementCircle wrote:Also, I have seen VERY few mentions of Taiga Dramas. What's up with that?:glare:
- Too much thinking involved.
- Reminds people of social studies or history.
- Even people dressed to be kabuki actors aren't that attractive.
- Cannot comprehend with the period in which they take place. No cell phones, computers, etc.
- Absolutely no kissing scenes!
- Oh yeah, and they're made by NHK, the network for old people.

As for me, I watch NHK dramas almost exclusively! And the storyline is EVERYTHING! As for taiga drama recommendations, it is really hard to recommend stuff seeing not that many of them are actually available. With what's out there, I would have to recommend Shinsengumi! because I like sword fighting!!!

--- groink
:rofl: Yeah, NHK is the Ojiisan channel. ^_^ The girl I was seening when I was in Japan always busted my chops over that. lol

I don't see how it's like social studies or history...I wish my classes had kakkoii samurai fighting...

Gods forbid they might have to think. "Oh no! there's something intelligent on TV!" I'm glad to see that there's at least one other person out there that isn't afraid to think.

I don't see what relating to the period has to do with it. I can't relate with 1930s mafia members but who doesn't like a good gangster flick? It's not about relating to the time period, it's about what you can get out of the story.

I love a good sword fight, too. That's why I like Taiga. I haven't got to watch Shinsengumi yet, but I will. And if it's a good fight you're looking for, you totally forgot about Musashi!!! I love Musashi because it reminds me of when I was in Japan (it was a quarter of the way through when I had to leave), it's good ol' samurai fighting, and it's the "story" (although fictional) of the greatest samurai ever.

And what do you mean Kabuki makeup isn't hot? :mrgreen:

ElementCircle

Post by ElementCircle » Mar 21st, '07, 09:47

gryzze wrote:I agree with everything you said ElementCircle...

Musashi and Toshiie to Matsu are two of my favourite taiga dramas, well favourite dramas actually.

Fuurin Kazan is also worth watching so far.
Yay! There ARE other people out there that like to watch something with brains! ^_^

Fuurin Kazan looks very interesting. Another I'll have to watch (if I can ever get my d/l speed to go any faster!)

ElementCircle

Post by ElementCircle » Mar 21st, '07, 09:50

MitsukaiKuroi wrote:
ElementCircle wrote:
On this I agree... I don't watch OR recommend dramas based on eye candy. When I recommended Byakuyakou people said "But the guy in it is not really kawaii!" WHAT THE? I thought we were suppossed to be watching great stories??? I can look at rock vids for sexy guys anytime.

In my dramas I want a gripping story or at least one that keeps me entertained.

I will have to check out some Taiga dramas. Which historical one would you recommend me finding and watching??? :-) Is Fūrin Kazan any good???
Yosh! ^_^

I haven't watched it yet, but it looks quite interesting. Check out the DramaWiki page on it. I recommend Musashi, but then I'm totaly biased. :D

leonheartx

Post by leonheartx » Mar 21st, '07, 09:59

i just recently started getting interested in jdramas.

i just finished watching 1 litre of tears and enjoyed it very much. (i watched all 11 episodes today actually :P

Would anybody like to suggest some other "hard hitting" dramas? It doesnt have to deal with death, I just like stuff that really messes with your emotions :mrgreen:

Seghal

Post by Seghal » Mar 21st, '07, 10:34

Musashi is the best of the Taiga Dramas I know. I can recommend Komyo ga Tsuji and Toshiie to Matsu as well.

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Mar 21st, '07, 14:15

groink wrote: - Reminds people of social studies or history.
Yeah, I heard about that period, that's what they call BC right? Before Computers? :lol

shankar

Post by shankar » Mar 21st, '07, 16:04

some of my favorites would be

karei-naru ichizoku
pride
kekkon dekinai otako
ai no uta
orange days
Nodame Cantabile
i've been married to hell!

deeplove

recommendations please

Post by deeplove » Mar 22nd, '07, 21:48

hi
im looking to watch some crime and/or mystery dramas..preferably recent. Looking for some suspenseful moments :-)

The last ones i watched were remote and kindaichi (the 3rd version). I really like remote and kindaichi was good too.
is unfair or rondo better??

Thanks in advance.

Filmfan

Post by Filmfan » Mar 23rd, '07, 22:08

if pure intelligence is what is sought after in a drama, we would all be sorely disappointed and the end result would be no one watching television. Drama/tv shows unlike film, is a medium that is readily available to the masses and is demographically targeted by marketers. To sustain itself it relies heavily on advertisers or sponsors that see ratings and viewership as the key to high sales figures, though this may not be necessarily so, but it is still standard practice.

Filmmakers, especially those independent from the studios, have slightly more flexibility on their art of story telling. They have a bit of an advantage of creating original, thought-provoking works of art. However, even filmmakers are not immune to the "business" of the industry. They still have to rely heavily (if they are not rich themselves and they can just invest on their own hobbies) on backers/investors in order to make their movies. If their film or documentary is not widely accepted, critically acclaimed, and/or a box office hit, then their careers unfortunately will not go as far as hoped. They will have to find other means of living. So then money, really is the determining factor that drives things to be made. this is quite unfortunate for those who have something original to tell.

Consider the following films:

Akira Kurosawa's Roshomon (Japan) - (1950) a Japanese crime drama produced with both philosophical and psychological overtones. An episode (rape and murder) in a forest is reported by four witnesses, each from their own point of view.
Akira Kurosawa's Yume - a kaleidescopic non-narrative film full of visual imagery but no real story line. It's a collection of tales based on Akira's dreams.
Scent of Green Papaya (Vietnam/France) - a girl's life told in a poetic silence and relying mostly on nature's sounds.
Wong Kar Wai's Chungking Express (Hong Kong) - two love-struck cops filmed in impressionistic splashes of motion and color.
Ang Lee's Eat Drink Man Woman (Taiwan)- Life in the house revolves around the ritual of an elaborate dinner each Sunday.
Sergei Eisenstein's Battleship Potemkin (Russia) - Based on the historical events the movie tells the story of a riot at the battleship Potemkin. This politically charged film doesn't rely on continuity or story-telling but more to anger proletariats.

Now these are highly intelligent, highly original, highly thought-provoking films, but if these were made into dramas, would people be actually watching them? Most likely not. But if they did, it would have to be heavily compromised to fit into what the public would readily accept (though some do try. And I salute those who do!)

But these are things that producers/creators/execs have to think about when it comes to the highly volatile medium called television. Because the concensus is most drama viewers would just rather sit back, relax and enjoy a show. They don't want to rack their brains on plots, subplots, framing, cinematography, continuity, subtext, meaning, or any miniscule detail for that matter. They just want to be entertained. And as data figures show, most viewers of movies and television are the same ones who shop the most: girls ages 13-29. And what do girls 13-29 like? They like seeing good-looking people on screen who have chemistry. Do most of them care about aesthetics and creativity? Not really. They are most interested on the face that appears on that screen and maybe if the storyline is duable.

But I respect the right to want to watch a show for a particular actor/actress. I mean don't we all have some favorites that compel us to watch a certain show or movie just to see them despite the fact that the show itself may not be to our liking? People have so many different reasons for watching something or hating something, and everyone is entitled to their reasons or desires, including their preference for whatever genre they'd like to view the most. For drama is after all a form of art, and art will always be subjective.

I LOVE HANA YORI DANGO :thumleft: :thumright:

auroragb

Post by auroragb » Mar 24th, '07, 00:30

Movies have the flexibility to be a vignette of events or plot driven drama.

Renzoku has to be plot driven, otherwise there would be no incentive to tune in week to week. Also, with so much screen time, the audience expects at least the main characters to be fleshed.

Of the movies you listed:
Roshomon - this can be serialized. Dramas often use perspective narrative concept brought by Roshomon, but they often cop out by making things make sense at the end
Yume - sounds like it lacks plot
Scent of Green Papaya - sounds like it lacks plot
Chungking Express - it lacks plot
Eat Drink Man Woman - this can certainly be serialized. Indeed, HK's Kindred Spirit revolves around the dinner table (at least in season 1, my fave).
Battleship Potemkin - sounds like it lacks plot

Neji-sama

Post by Neji-sama » Mar 24th, '07, 00:45

Some of my new fav shows;

Long Love Letter
Kisarazu Cat's Eye ( the best one I have yet to have seen )

i'm looking for a show similar to Long Love Letter, mysteryish...

Filmfan

Post by Filmfan » Mar 24th, '07, 23:58

auroragb wrote:Movies have the flexibility to be a vignette of events or plot driven drama.

Renzoku has to be plot driven, otherwise there would be no incentive to tune in week to week. Also, with so much screen time, the audience expects at least the main characters to be fleshed.

Of the movies you listed:
Roshomon - this can be serialized. Dramas often use perspective narrative concept brought by Roshomon, but they often cop out by making things make sense at the end
Yume - sounds like it lacks plot
Scent of Green Papaya - sounds like it lacks plot
Chungking Express - it lacks plot
Eat Drink Man Woman - this can certainly be serialized. Indeed, HK's Kindred Spirit revolves around the dinner table (at least in season 1, my fave).
Battleship Potemkin - sounds like it lacks plot
Roshomon, Scent of Green Papaya, Chungking Express (2 plots), Eat Drink Man Woman are plot-driven. Yume--not at all, and Battleship Potemkin--kind of. But yes, as you said a show needs to be plot-driven in order for it to be watched serially. I guess my point to it is that, these films wouldn't be so interesting to commit a lot of time to if it was written or made to the feel of the film itself. So much have to be changed in order for a viewer to want to watch the next episode. But most of the time, the premise in and of itself is just not something that is worthwhile to be produced, but definitely worth watching once in a span of of two and a half hours or less (give or take some minutes in other films).

shotgunn240

Post by shotgunn240 » Mar 27th, '07, 12:50

I've seen dragonzakura, gokusen 1st and 2nd season, GTO annd i was wondering if there are any more JDramas with a school setting that don't have a strong presence of drama and romance but instead be more of a comedy

biniBningPunkista

Post by biniBningPunkista » Mar 27th, '07, 13:04

i know some old ones....
*kimi wa petto - really cute but kinda goes against the norms.
*lunch no juou (lunch queen) im currently watching it.. - love the way the main character loves eating and the way she gets accepted into the family.
*Detective conan - haven't seen this yet... but im dying to watch it.
*Hana Yori Dango 1 and 2 - currently re-watching it! hahaha.. it's just damn cool!
*Gokusen 1 and 2 - i'm also currently watching season 2
*GTO - was is interesting... also dying to watch it.
*Jikogu shoujou (Hell girl) - i think i got the spelling wrong. anyways... its kinda thrilling in a very sick way :salut:

[img]http://randomc.animeblogger.net/image/H ... -%2018.jpg[/img]

dokbupgi

Post by dokbupgi » Mar 28th, '07, 08:23

shotgunn240 wrote:I've seen dragonzakura, gokusen 1st and 2nd season, GTO annd i was wondering if there are any more JDramas with a school setting that don't have a strong presence of drama and romance but instead be more of a comedy
hello shotgunn here're some comedy/light mood drama in school besides those u mentioned:
nobuta wo produce
nodame cantabile
my boss my hero
attention please (well not exactly a school, but about CA training)

well i don't include hana yori dango cuz its mostly about romance.

non-comedy in school:
Queen's classroom
Floating classroom
Orange Days

Magicus

Post by Magicus » Mar 29th, '07, 16:51

Filmfan wrote:Lots of words
Just because the dramas that you have encountered are of the Hana Yori Dango kind doesn't mean that there aren't dramas that are artistic, orginial AND popular out there. It's a shame that most of the popular dramas on d-addicts are highschool oriented but just because fangirls want to get off to there favourite idols doesn't mean that all of Japan has the same ideology.

For example Suna no Utsuwa(2004) was just subtitled by gromitt. It recieved ratings of 20% in Japan but has largely gone unnoticed here because of just pure ignorance to the jdrama scene. It takes some searching, especially for english subtitled shows, but they are out there.

Don't just assume that people "would just rather sit back, relax and enjoy a show. They don't want to rack their brains on plots, subplots, framing, cinematography, continuity, subtext, meaning, or any miniscule detail for that matter. They just want to be entertained" just because thats the general consensus @ d-addicts.

Rather than just letting yourself believe that jdramas as a whole are an idol machine, do yourself a favor and look around.
Last edited by Magicus on Mar 31st, '07, 06:40, edited 1 time in total.

Filmfan

Post by Filmfan » Mar 29th, '07, 23:53

Magicus wrote:
Filmfan wrote:Lots of words
Just because the dramas that you have encountered are of the Hana Yori Dango kind doesn't mean that there aren't dramas that are artistic, orginial AND popular out there. It's a shame that most of the popular dramas on d-addicts are highschool oriented but just because fangrils on d-addicts want to get off to there favourite idols doesn't mean that all of Japan has the same ideology.

For example Suna no Utsuwa(2004) was just subtitled by gromitt. It recieved ratings of 20% in Japan but has largely gone unnoticed here because of just pure ignorance to the jdrama scene. It takes some searching, especially for english subtitled shows, but they are out there.

Don't just assume that people "would just rather sit back, relax and enjoy a show. They don't want to rack their brains on plots, subplots, framing, cinematography, continuity, subtext, meaning, or any miniscule detail for that matter. They just want to be entertained" just because thats the general consensus @ d-addicts.

Rather than just letting yourself believe that jdramas as a whole are an idol machine, do yourself a favor and look around.
I must apologize for lack of clarity of my point. I wasn't trying to pin point specific audiences, merely the generality of the viewers (trying to see from the perspective of a studio exec, advertiser, etc). Because as we know there will always be different tastes out there. Heck, I myself watch so much movies and shows that most of the general public will not know about because it might be considered too avant garde, too pretentious, too hoity-toity for others. And I know I'm not the only one who watches things that the "general" public wouldn't like, those who crave for something different which I'm sure you are one of them and also those on this forum who so plainly put out. But, I am also not one to put down others who happen to like something that might be considered "shallow" or "unintelligent". Why? Because it's their right to like their movies/shows for whatever reason it may be. There's nothing wrong with enjoying popular highschool-oriented dramas as there is nothing wrong with watching artistic and original ones either. We all have different tastes and we should just all respect each others differences in opinion instead of abasing the other because they like something we don't.

gmak

HELP!

Post by gmak » Mar 30th, '07, 07:08

hello,
I am new to the world of asian drama.
I just recently finished the Densha Otoko series, and it completely blew me away.
As such, i would like to learn about and discover new asian dramas. If anyone has any possible ROMANCE series that would prove interesting please post a list of them. Thank you

In addition, i am highly interested in Japanese dramas, not so much Korean being that i can understand what is being discussed.

ALSO, please provide your input on what SAFE sites i might want to look into to download japanese dramas.

THANK YOU VERY MUCH!
Last edited by gmak on Mar 30th, '07, 07:31, edited 2 times in total.

matilda

Post by matilda » Mar 30th, '07, 07:16

You can try

1. SENGOKU JIETAI or you can say GI Samurai
with TAKASHI SORIMACHI as a Main Actor

2. Chuushingura 1/43
with TAKUYA KIMURA as Main Actor

have fun... :cheers:

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » Mar 30th, '07, 21:25

ありません

kuvli

Post by kuvli » Apr 1st, '07, 18:38

ummm...i'm looking forward to some romantic comedy...does anyone know any good one???? which like the main female protagonist is not weak or at least not too feminine-acting??????????

Seghal

Post by Seghal » Apr 1st, '07, 18:55

kuvli wrote:ummm...i'm looking forward to some romantic comedy...does anyone know any good one???? which like the main female protagonist is not weak or at least not too feminine-acting??????????
Anego

sveta

Post by sveta » Apr 2nd, '07, 07:14

i'm looking for J-dramas that are very similar to Yasha and that are English subtitled and can be found on d-addicts. Anyone know of any? Thank you in advance

Ginoru

Post by Ginoru » Apr 3rd, '07, 01:23

Hello! I don't know if this is the right place to ask but i have heard that a dorama called "Happy Boys" is being made; does somebody know anything about it?
I think it is based in a shonen-ai manga

rieno823

Post by rieno823 » Apr 3rd, '07, 16:34

anyone know any super good romance dramas?

notice how i said 'super' :D

kawaiimomo

Post by kawaiimomo » Apr 4th, '07, 01:18

If your looking for romance I think you should watch anything Kimura Takuya is in, cause most of his dramas are romance and most of them are always so good! I've only watched some of his dramas but all of the ones I've watched are SO GOOD!!! :D