Recommend J-Dramas (Ask for suggestions here)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
Haruka91

Post by Haruka91 » Dec 23rd, '10, 15:35

is there any jdrama like Samurai High School?

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Dec 23rd, '10, 21:09

Haruka91 wrote:is there any jdrama like Samurai High School?
hmmm JIN maybe?

misa567

Must Watch Dramas

Post by misa567 » Dec 23rd, '10, 22:24

I just finished watching both A Million Stars Fall From the Sky and Nagareboshi and would strongly recommend both. The former is a dark mystery that will blow you away even if you figure out the back story before the end and the latter is about illness but is really a romance, if that makes sense.

If you're looking for a cute but touching (and funny) high school drama, I love Yankee-kun to Megane-chan!

justintorque

Post by justintorque » Dec 24th, '10, 11:48

hey9 wrote:
justintorque wrote:Hi guys any suggestion for medical dramas like IRYU, GM Odore and God Hand Teru... ^_^ any suggestions would be appreciated. Arigato in advance. Hopefully it will still be downloadable via torrent and have softsubs or hardsubs would be great. I love Japanese Drama because they are so cool like Asada Ryutaro in IRYU. ^_^
JIN - modern doctor sent back in time. Near the end I think it veers more towards the political and human drama, rather than the medical stuff. Very good drama tho.

Nurse Aoi - somewhat light-hearted medical drama, if you like GM Odore you might like this one.
Thanks for this suggestion. After Im done with code blue, I'll watch this. Thanks again. Merry Christmas to all! :salut:

misa567

Suggestions

Post by misa567 » Dec 24th, '10, 17:55

If you want to try a K-drama, Jejoongwon is the best medical drama & one of the best if not the best K-drama I have ever seen. It aired early 2010 & should still be downloadable & has softsubs by WITHS2.

Mwulf

Post by Mwulf » Dec 25th, '10, 07:36

MisS Lonliah wrote:
hmmm JIN maybe?
IWGP. Very, very, very peripherally. (
There's a scene... you all remember, right?
)

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by k361 » Dec 25th, '10, 09:11

School, love and fights are in Yankee-kun to Megane-chan.

If you focus more on comedy, look for My boss my Hero or Gokusen

Haruka91

Post by Haruka91 » Dec 25th, '10, 16:46

Need Recommendation, something like Bloody Monday,
this drama really awesome, hacking, spy, action, suspense
i really like something like this, and i really like about hacking XD

bugs_3v

Post by bugs_3v » Dec 28th, '10, 16:01

Haruka91 wrote:Need Recommendation, something like Bloody Monday,
this drama really awesome, hacking, spy, action, suspense
i really like something like this, and i really like about hacking XD
try maou, orthrros no inu....

andyjin7777

Need Recommendations for Japanese Drama with English Subs

Post by andyjin7777 » Dec 28th, '10, 23:56

First this is a list of all the shows I have watched (all Taiwanese):

Woody sambo
Fated to love you
Miss no good
Prince turns into frog
Angel lover
The magicians of love
Smiling pasta
Legend of star apple
Ying ye 3 jia 1
Sweet relationship
Bull fighting
Pi li MIT
Easy fortune happy life
Together
Black and white
Si si xin dong
Romantic princess
Ps man

Currently I am watching channel x but I need more shows to watch as I am a huge fan personally my favorites from this list are is woody sambo, fated to love u, miss no good, and smiling pasta. However from this I realized that I like shows where the guys usually start off rich and all high and mighty but they meet this really normal average girl and end up loving her despite the challenges they face but I also don't want the show to be all romance there should be some comedy to lighten the mood at times as well. So I need help searching for a show similar to the four I rele enjoyed watching. I don't know if this will help but of those four my most favorite is Woody Sambo I hope this will help in telling what kinda drama I'm more into. I'm trying to expand what I watch to not only
taiwanese but japanese as well

PS another thing I thought might help is that another similarity in those four is that the main male and female character at first don't rele like each other and in fact like someone else but due to many things that happened between them they realize that deep down they love each other and usually the girl seems shy and rele simple but will eventually do whatever to help the guy who seems complicated at first but then loosens up and once they realize they love each other they become a couple.

Liz19ny

Request for first time drama

Post by Liz19ny » Dec 29th, '10, 07:05

Ok, I love Asian dramas and I wish to corrupt my sister, I wanted her to watch Smiling Pasta with me but she thinks the plot is too much. She wants something more real and passionate. So I'm thinking of a Kdrama, but have no idea of where to go from there. She likes Everwood and romantic comedies. A total Jane Austin fan, and I want to find a show that we can watch together. Any suggestions?

bugs_3v

Re: Request for first time drama

Post by bugs_3v » Jan 1st, '11, 16:49

Liz19ny wrote:Ok, I love Asian dramas and I wish to corrupt my sister, I wanted her to watch Smiling Pasta with me but she thinks the plot is too much. She wants something more real and passionate. So I'm thinking of a Kdrama, but have no idea of where to go from there. She likes Everwood and romantic comedies. A total Jane Austin fan, and I want to find a show that we can watch together. Any suggestions?

try some romantic jdorama...just back read.......

JaJe

Post by JaJe » Jan 2nd, '11, 12:25

Liz19ny wrote:Ok, I love Asian dramas and I wish to corrupt my sister, I wanted her to watch Smiling Pasta with me but she thinks the plot is too much. She wants something more real and passionate. So I'm thinking of a Kdrama, but have no idea of where to go from there. She likes Everwood and romantic comedies. A total Jane Austin fan, and I want to find a show that we can watch together. Any suggestions?
Well this is a Jdrama topic, so if you want to find a Kdrama, try it´s topic :|
But you can find some Jdramas too that she might like (mostly Jdramas plots aren´t too much). Hmm something like Jane Austen? hmmmm.....That´s hard, but I guess you can try Buzzer Beat (less comedy but more romance - even though it is about basketball, there aren´t many scenes about it), Proposal Daisakusen, also from Kdramas I think "Playful Kiss" would work - as there is also topic of prejudices and honors. Maybe also Taiwanese movie "Secret", which is quite romantic movie. Well now I have wrote down my top ones here, so if they aren´t what she likes, then probably she isn´t made for Asian dramas. :-)

JaJe

Post by JaJe » Jan 2nd, '11, 12:27

But you can find some Jdramas too that she might like (mostly Jdramas plots aren´t too much). Hmm something like Jane Austen? hmmmm.....That´s hard, but I guess you can try Buzzer Beat (less comedy but more romance - even though it is about basketball, there aren´t many scenes about it), Proposal Daisakusen, also from Kdramas I think "Playful Kiss" would work - as there is also topic of prejudices and honors. Maybe also Taiwanese movie "Secret", which is quite romantic movie. Well now I have wrote down my top ones here, so if they aren´t what she likes, then probably she isn´t made for Asian dramas. :-)

JaJe

Post by JaJe » Jan 2nd, '11, 12:31

chknbll

Post by chknbll » Jan 2nd, '11, 14:23

Hi I'm looking for a feel-good romantic comedy that's mostly lighthearted and funny but with some serious moments. I'm just done with My boss my hero and it was awesome.

Piccamilly

Post by Piccamilly » Jan 2nd, '11, 14:56

chknbll wrote:Hi I'm looking for a feel-good romantic comedy that's mostly lighthearted and funny but with some serious moments. I'm just done with My boss my hero and it was awesome.

if you want to stick to jdramas i'd suggest Nodame Cantabile
if you don't mind kdramas try you're beautiful, i enjoyed it a lot :)

mshaydown

Post by mshaydown » Jan 3rd, '11, 11:11

chknbll wrote:Hi I'm looking for a feel-good romantic comedy that's mostly lighthearted and funny but with some serious moments. I'm just done with My boss my hero and it was awesome.
If you liked MBMH, there's probably a very large list of doramas you could watch or have already watched. I only say this coz I tend to like lighthearted comedies too 8)

The classics and highly acclaimed:
Densha Otoko
Hana Yori Dango
Hanazakari no Kimitachi e
Orange Days
Hotaru no Hikari

Others I enjoyed but aren't talked about much:
Gakko ja Oshierarenai
Tatta Hitotsu no Koi
Smile
Yankee-kun to Megane-chan

ocha.antik

Post by ocha.antik » Jan 3rd, '11, 11:44

my version:
  • Brother Beat
    Pride
    Hanazakari no Kimitachi e
    Akai Ito :wub:
    Nodame Cantabile
    Stand Up
    Proposal Daisakusen
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

jossah

Post by jossah » Jan 5th, '11, 15:11

I like lighthearted, funny and feel good dramas, too! Here's my list of dramas you can check out.

First the classics. Seriously, you must start with these dramas:
Hanazakarino Kimitachihe (Here's my review in case you're interested: http://jossah.livejournal.com/1272.html)
Nodame Cantabile
Hana Yori Dango 1 & 2
Orange Days
Kimi wa Petto
Gokusen 1 (This is legendary! Season 2 was so-so but season 3 was bleh already for me.)
Hotaru no Hikari (I've seen only season 1)
Satorare (Joe Odagiri is :wub:)

The not so talked-about Jdramas but I think you would also appreciate:
Proposal Daisakusen (Operation Love)
Samurai High School
Otomen
Yankee-Kun to Megane-chan
Mei-chan's Buttler
Atashinichi no Danshi

xohhbiteme

Post by xohhbiteme » Jan 10th, '11, 06:54

Any series similar to Fire Boys (Megumi no Daigo)? Very inspiring.

Oh, and I recommend it. :D

Joonizzz

Post by Joonizzz » Jan 13th, '11, 21:47

Hello!
I've been watching some dramas now and am desperate to get more :P
So far I've seen the following ones:

Densha Otoko
Great Teacher Onizuka
Hana Yori Dango 1 & 2
Gokusen 1 & 2
One Litre of Tears
Orange Days
Smile

and Im about to start watching Tokyo Dogs, but I want more! :P

What would you guys recommend?
Thank you very much for helping me out ^^

chibi chibi

Post by chibi chibi » Jan 14th, '11, 10:40

Joonizzz wrote:Hello!
I've been watching some dramas now and am desperate to get more :P
So far I've seen the following ones:

Densha Otoko
Great Teacher Onizuka
Hana Yori Dango 1 & 2
Gokusen 1 & 2
One Litre of Tears
Orange Days
Smile

and Im about to start watching Tokyo Dogs, but I want more! :P

What would you guys recommend?
Thank you very much for helping me out ^^
You might like to try Hana Kimi, Yankee kun to megane chan if you liked Hana Yori Dango
Samurai High School and My boss My hero if you liked GTO and Gokusen
Mother, Aishiteru are kinda similar to One litre of tears (tear jerkers) both very good

Other series you might enjoy are JIN, Hotaru no Hikari, MR BRAIN and Bloody Monday

Hope that helps out ^^

Soannie

Post by Soannie » Jan 14th, '11, 16:56

Hi everyone!

Any recommendations for recent (after 2008) dramas with older woman younger man theme?
No matter the language.

Dramas like "SECOND VIRGIN" for example. Good storyline, good acting, I really enjoyed it.
A must see TV drama that I recommend.

But I didn't like "Ohitorisama"

Thanks in advance.

Ghoro

Post by Ghoro » Jan 16th, '11, 17:56

Hey guys, so I have only really seen a few Jdramas and I am looking for more. So for one, I'm a guy and I am looking for ones that's good for guys, so basically not romantic or romantic comedy lol. So things like comedy, action, mystery and so on.

I'm somewhat wanting right now something more serious and with mystery or action and a bit darker. So I don't know if there is any Jdramas that have any of those details.

But I have liked other more emotional Jdramas like 1 Litre of Tears and My Girl, so emotional Jdramas that are not cheesy love stories and I have just gotten Mother, but I haven't watched that one yet.

Also the newer the Jdrama the better, but I'm am still open to something that may be a bit old. And I don't understand Japanese at all for now, so it needs to be one that has Subs for it.

So far the ones I have seen and really like are:

Bloody Monday 1 and 2
GTO
My Boss My Hero
My Girl
1 Litre of Tears

And ones that I have seen, but were just ok for me or I just didn't like are:
Akihabara
Boss
Karei naru Spy
Tiger & Dragon
Nodame Cantabile

So any help would be greatly appreciated

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Jan 16th, '11, 20:55

Ghoro wrote:Hey guys, so I have only really seen a few Jdramas and I am looking for more. So for one, I'm a guy and I am looking for ones that's good for guys, so basically not romantic or romantic comedy lol. So things like comedy, action, mystery and so on.

I'm somewhat wanting right now something more serious and with mystery or action and a bit darker. So I don't know if there is any Jdramas that have any of those details.

But I have liked other more emotional Jdramas like 1 Litre of Tears and My Girl, so emotional Jdramas that are not cheesy love stories and I have just gotten Mother, but I haven't watched that one yet.

Also the newer the Jdrama the better, but I'm am still open to something that may be a bit old. And I don't understand Japanese at all for now, so it needs to be one that has Subs for it.

Bloody Monday 1 and 2
GTO
My Boss My Hero
My Girl
1 Litre of Tears

Akihabara
Boss
Karei naru Spy
Tiger & Dragon
Nodame Cantabile

Byakuyakou Well, it has romance in it, but also suspense. Very highly recommended.
Maybe this one too Jyoou no Kyoushitsu.
Last Friends
Seija no Koushin About youths with varying mental disorders being abused. (This is drama is supposed to be based on a true event, known as The Mito Incident.)
Tsubasa no Oreta Tenshitachi There are two season, each season is 4 episodes and each episode is one story.

Cyborg Ninja

Post by Cyborg Ninja » Jan 17th, '11, 02:48

I'm looking for some intelligent, stimulating Japanese dramas that revolve around learning, books, dorky things like that. I know there are a lot of teacher comedy dramas in Japan but I'm not into that. Samurai High School might be interesting but I only saw the first episode. I also like dramas about high-achievers.

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jan 17th, '11, 18:44

Ghoro wrote:Hey guys, so I have only really seen a few Jdramas and I am looking for more. So for one, I'm a guy and I am looking for ones that's good for guys, so basically not romantic or romantic comedy lol. So things like comedy, action, mystery and so on.

Bloody Monday 1 and 2
GTO
My Boss My Hero
My Girl
1 Litre of Tears

Akihabara
Boss
Karei naru Spy
Tiger & Dragon
Nodame Cantabile

Try
Yankee Bokou ni Kaeru, Zeni Geba, JIN, Ikebukuro West Gate Park, Ashita no Kita Yoshio, Hagetaka, Marks no Yama, Water Boys

for mystery/detective drama: Trick, Daremo Mamorenai, SP, Rinjo Shinzanmono, Galileo, Koshonin, Tokyo Dogs

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jan 18th, '11, 05:21

What are some recent Jdrama good romantic comedies like Nodame or Kimi wa Petto? Prefer ones released from 2009 to now. I have seen all of the old ones (before 2009). Thanks!

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Jan 18th, '11, 16:22

iluvasiandrama wrote:What are some recent Jdrama good romantic comedies like Nodame or Kimi wa Petto? Prefer ones released from 2009 to now. I have seen all of the old ones (before 2009). Thanks!
Hotaru no Hikari 2 :thumright:

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jan 18th, '11, 16:51

MisS Lonliah wrote:
iluvasiandrama wrote:What are some recent Jdrama good romantic comedies like Nodame or Kimi wa Petto? Prefer ones released from 2009 to now. I have seen all of the old ones (before 2009). Thanks!
Hotaru no Hikari 2 :thumright:
Oh, I saw Hotaru no Hikari already. That was pretty good. Any others?

Oh wait, there is a 2nd part to it? I haven't seen that one. I will start there. Any more suggestions?

Haruka91

Post by Haruka91 » Jan 18th, '11, 17:20

need some recommendation, maybe something like Yukan Club :lol

12bucklemyshoe

Post by 12bucklemyshoe » Jan 19th, '11, 22:22

Love Shuffle was a fun rom com from 2009.

Haruka91

Post by Haruka91 » Jan 21st, '11, 16:12

need some recommendation, something like Nodame Cantabile or love or romance drama?
Nodame Cantabile is awesome drama ^^

Piccamilly

Post by Piccamilly » Jan 21st, '11, 19:33

Haruka91 wrote:need some recommendation, something like Nodame Cantabile or love or romance drama?
if you don't mind some sport in the mix, buzzer beat and pride are really nice love stories ^^

jnliten

Post by jnliten » Jan 22nd, '11, 05:34

Can anyone reccommend me a few dramas from 2010 that are really good? Doesn't really matter what genre it is either. Thanks

kawaiiruna

Post by kawaiiruna » Jan 22nd, '11, 06:34

jnliten wrote:Can anyone reccommend me a few dramas from 2010 that are really good? Doesn't really matter what genre it is either. Thanks
nagareboshi, juunen saki mo kimi ni koishite, Natsu no Koi wa Nijiiro ni Kagayaku , ai wa mieru, zettai reido :-)

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Jan 22nd, '11, 13:25

jnliten wrote:Can anyone reccommend me a few dramas from 2010 that are really good? Doesn't really matter what genre it is either. Thanks
There's a jdrama of 2010 TOP 5 thread I'm sure you can find the best ones listed there.

But for me the absolute best of 2010 was mother, can't say it often enough :wub:

kim75

Post by kim75 » Jan 22nd, '11, 15:28

Haruka91 wrote:need some recommendation, something like Nodame Cantabile or love or romance drama?
Boku Dake no Madonna

Strife91

Post by Strife91 » Jan 22nd, '11, 16:02

Please recommend me something similar to Ninkyo Helper, Kekkon Dekinai Otoko or My boss my hero.

What I've watched so far.
http://mydramalist.info/users/2253/strife91/dramas

jnliten

Post by jnliten » Jan 23rd, '11, 06:25

Sweet thanks kawaiiruna, I'll check out all those.

arakira cool I'll check that thread, and definately have to watch mother, I've seen it pop up a few times already

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jan 23rd, '11, 09:36

12bucklemyshoe wrote:Love Shuffle was a fun rom com from 2009.
I saw Love Shuffle. Didn't like it.

freelife

Post by freelife » Jan 23rd, '11, 14:29

Can anyone recommend me a drama similar to Lunch Queen?
Not necessarily food related, but a light romance-comedy, that you can watch with your family.

Doctorhabib

Post by Doctorhabib » Jan 23rd, '11, 19:48

Hello everyone

Can someone reccomend me an Drama with the theme ''University/College '' life ?

I thank you for your time and attention.

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Jan 23rd, '11, 21:05

freelife wrote:Can anyone recommend me a drama similar to Lunch Queen?
Not necessarily food related, but a light romance-comedy, that you can watch with your family.
Seigi no Mikata http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Seigi_no_Mikata_%282008%29 :thumright:

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Jan 23rd, '11, 21:13

Doctorhabib wrote:Hello everyone

Honey and Clover

el_canuck

Post by el_canuck » Jan 23rd, '11, 22:12

Every once in awhile I answer this with basically the same dramas. Nodame, Pride, Hero, Kimi wa Petto etc, but for those using this as a guide to watch dramas (as I once did), I can almost say forget the titles, just remember the actors:
1. Kimura Takuya-Everything he touches is great and worth watching, everything.
2. Shinohara Ryoko-She is the reigning queen, especially teamed with Takuya.
3. Ueno Juri-Maybe a "One-Hit Wonder", but so good in Nodame Cantabile
4. Eita-He is in everything.
5. Horikita Maki-A princess who will one day be a huge star, if she is not there already.

There are a few more, but this will get you going, have fun downloading.

Doctorhabib

Post by Doctorhabib » Jan 23rd, '11, 23:33

MisS Lonliah wrote:

Honey and Clover
Are you kidding me =D Seriously there is a Drama of that great Anime ?

Thank you so much.

Oh and thanks el_canuck for your advice.

el_canuck

Post by el_canuck » Jan 24th, '11, 00:59

Here are the others to watch for:
Matsumoto Jun-Member of the group Arashi
Koyuki-One big hit "Kimi wa Petto" but a really good drama, nominated for Best Supporting Actress in "The Last Samurai" with Tom Cruise.
Yamashita Tomohisa-As Takuya gets older, this guy will take over
Takeuchi Yuko-Great in Pride and just finished a good one with Matsumoto Jun

In the history of Japanese television, three shows have been watched more than any other, scoring in the 30% rating. No others but these three
1. Hero
2. Beautiful Life
3. Good Luck
What do they have in common? Starring Kimura Takuya. Takuya is a member of the singing group SMAP.

bugs_3v

Post by bugs_3v » Jan 24th, '11, 15:51

Doctorhabib wrote:
MisS Lonliah wrote:

Honey and Clover

Thank you so much.

yes there is a dorama version of honey and clover......

Haruka91

Post by Haruka91 » Jan 25th, '11, 12:43

whoa Zettai Kareshi is awesome drama!!
it make me cry at final ep T.T
anyone can recommend drama similar like this? XD
thx

ehimedays

Post by ehimedays » Jan 26th, '11, 18:23

for Haruka91, I really liked Yume wo Kanaeru Zo as well. what do you mean by "similar"? similarly good looking male lead would be hard to find ^^. but for interesting storyline, there are many many choices to choose from.
Nagareboshi has a really great male lead, it's a fairly new drama and it's very moving, but in a good way, not in a depressing way.

ehimedays

Post by ehimedays » Jan 26th, '11, 18:26

oh, and one more. "Hotaru no Hikari" is pretty great too. and there's part I and part II, so more to enjoy. it's not stuff that will make you cry, because it's mostly light hearted, funny, yet very sincere. and the house they live in is gorgeous Japanese style.

Haruka91

Post by Haruka91 » Jan 26th, '11, 22:41

thx ehimedays, i'll try them :salut:

MisS Lonliah

Post by MisS Lonliah » Jan 26th, '11, 22:42

Doctorhabib wrote:
MisS Lonliah wrote:

Honey and Clover

Thank you so much.

Lol, the link i provided has details about the drama! Enjoy! :thumright:

totemokakkoii

Post by totemokakkoii » Jan 29th, '11, 03:38

how about Orange Days?

kingfisher13

Any good english subbed romance jdramas out there?

Post by kingfisher13 » Jan 29th, '11, 21:31

Hey everybody,
I am searching for some good romance jdramas. I have seen a few, but they all are tragedies, and I'm not really into unhappy endings. Can anyone point out some romance, english subbed, happy ending jdramas for me? I really like the ones with the girl as the main character, and the high school romance dramas too. Any ideas for me?
Thanks

Neliets

Post by Neliets » Jan 30th, '11, 12:29

I'll give jdramas another shot. Can you give me something funny like Stand Up? Nothing too dramatic, more light and funny. Preferably a teen drama.

ehimedays

Re: Any good english subbed romance jdramas out there?

Post by ehimedays » Jan 30th, '11, 14:26

kingfisher13 wrote:Hey everybody,
I am searching for some good romance jdramas. I have seen a few, but they all are tragedies, and I'm not really into unhappy endings. Can anyone point out some romance, english subbed, happy ending jdramas for me? I really like the ones with the girl as the main character, and the high school romance dramas too. Any ideas for me?
Thanks
hmmm... I know what you mean, it can be frustrating to find a good drama that also has a satisfying ending. well, I'm on the same mission, and can help you out with the "winners" that I came across.

I'm not really into hs/college dramas anymore, mostly because of the age thing, I am just in a different age bracket now (almost 30...^^)
but I do like dramas about girls in the workplace, etc.
I'm really quite proud of my list here, because it's culled from the best dramas I have watched (in my opinion, of course) but they are all well-written and well-acted. I have a thing for "well-written".
like I mentioned above, I strongly recommend

"Yume wo Kanaeru Zo"
"Nagareboshi"
"Hotaru no Hikari" I & II
"Suika"
"Mop Girl"
"Magerarenai Onna"
"Kuitan"
"Anego"

There's probably a few more but will post them when I remember.

ehimedays

Post by ehimedays » Jan 30th, '11, 14:33

Neliets wrote:I'll give jdramas another shot. Can you give me something funny like Stand Up? Nothing too dramatic, more light and funny. Preferably a teen drama.
hey, I watched Stand Up before, it was a good one as well.

if you liked the main actress, she is also in "Nagareboshi" with Takenouchi Yutaka (still the hottest J-guy to me ^^ oops kinda gives away my age, doesn't it?)
"Nagareboshi" is really wonderful, but it is not "light and funny", so for that I would recommend "Hotaru no Hikari" I & II
And when you are in the mood for something more dramatic, maybe you can watch "Nagareboshi"
Great ending, by the way. Very important to me, the way dramas end.

ehimedays

Re: Any good english subbed romance jdramas out there?

Post by ehimedays » Jan 30th, '11, 14:43

kingfisher13 wrote:Hey everybody,
Thanks
looking back on my list, I saw that they don't really all fit the "romance" requirement. the dramas have male interests, but not really a solid romance where in the end two people get together, that sort of thing.
I don't know why, I guess it's hard to find a good romance drama like you said!
but for a drama with romantic interest, I would recommend you try "Hotaru no Hikari" I & II first.
I know I am recommending this one a lot, well- it's pretty good ^^
And definitely, "Nagareboshi"- the ending is not tragic, not sad. I thought the ending was perfect. I can't give anything away though. I would consider "Nagareboshi" a romance, but not the everyday romance, it's really special.

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Jan 30th, '11, 14:47

Yeah Nagareboshi is wonderfull the bad thing is the english subbing isnt complete so my advice don't start it before the complete subs are available ( but ifu like the streaming the drama subbed is available on viki)!
Anyway , u can try Tatta hitotsu no koi , the story is so simple so cliche but very romantic !

Doctorhabib

Post by Doctorhabib » Jan 30th, '11, 16:54

Okay I have a different challenge for all of you.

Can someone recommend me an drama that is like ''Kekkon Dekinai Otoko''?

or something that has a similiar main character .

ehimedays

Post by ehimedays » Jan 30th, '11, 17:54

Doctorhabib wrote:Okay I have a different challenge for all of you.

Can someone recommend me an drama that is like ''Kekkon Dekinai Otoko''?

or something that has a similiar main character .
Hmmm... have you watched "Galileo" with Fukuyama Masaharu? He plays a physics professor who doesn't seem interested in girls.

If you're looking for a drama where there is a very available, yet slightly clueless bachelor with two or more women secretly pining for him, then "Hotaru no Hikari" would fit the bill as well! ^^

ehimedays

Post by ehimedays » Jan 30th, '11, 18:38

Neliets wrote:I'll give jdramas another shot. Can you give me something funny like Stand Up? Nothing too dramatic, more light and funny. Preferably a teen drama.
my mistake! I shouldn't have answered this question, because I am not an expert on teen dramas (anymore) ^^
and, I got "Stand Up" confused with another totally different drama called "Attention Please", so if you read my first reply, you would be like, "what the heck" lol, sorry!

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jan 30th, '11, 23:30

Attention Please was so boring. It actually started off okay but got draggy. I can't believe they did a SP of that drama. Way too boring.

ehimedays

Post by ehimedays » Jan 30th, '11, 23:36

iluvasiandrama wrote:Attention Please was so boring. It actually started off okay but got draggy. I can't believe they did a SP of that drama. Way too boring.
really? I don't remember the details anymore, but it left an okay impression on me. I think the format got a little boring, like you knew she was just overcoming one challenge after the other, and in the end would succeed, etc. something like that?

if you want to talk about boring dramas, I have to say... a lot, a lot of dramas are boring, lol! it's sad, but it's true. attention please wasn't the most boring, there's plenty much worse ^^
it just shows how hard it is to make an interesting drama. if you check out the list of dramas on mysoju, most of them are boring one way or the other.
I like the search features on mysoju, it helps you to find a drama that you want to watch better.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jan 30th, '11, 23:42

Well the newer dramas are getting better. I have been watching more kdrama lately because they seem to have a lot of funny one's to choose from that are not too kiddy like.

ehimedays

Post by ehimedays » Jan 31st, '11, 01:56

iluvasiandrama wrote:Well the newer dramas are getting better. I have been watching more kdrama lately because they seem to have a lot of funny one's to choose from that are not too kiddy like.
for a while, I actually preferred k-dramas.
that was during the golden years when full house, coffee prince, my name is kim sam soon, etc were rolling out from the hot k-drama oven.

but a really low point came when I tried very hard to get into "secret garden". FAIL. lol.

then I saw clearly, how k-dramas are still stuck in the "rich, spoiled guy" meets "poor, kind girl" storyline.
they have been stuck in that rut for years now.
and it's getting old.
with "Nagareboshi" I dived right back into the frequently brilliant world that is J-drama.
it's not really the fault of K-dramas. It's just that... J-dramas are too good. there's much more writing talent.

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Jan 31st, '11, 04:09

Yeah I know most are about some really rich guy and so poor girl. I take a break from jdrama and go to kdrama then I break from kdrama and go to jdrama. It's like a balancing act that works out great! I haven't seen any really good jdrama since Nodame and Hana Kimi Kimi wa Petto and the older ones. I couldn't get past the 2nd episode of Proposal Daisakusen I just got tired of "Hallelujah Chance!" every frive seconds. Ughh it just too annoying.

I'm going to watch the first episode of Nagareboshi since you mentioned it and see if it's any good ;)
Last edited by iluvasiandrama on Feb 3rd, '11, 06:49, edited 1 time in total.

bugs_3v

Post by bugs_3v » Jan 31st, '11, 07:52

Sham26 wrote:Yeah Nagareboshi is wonderfull the bad thing is the english subbing isnt complete so my advice don't start it before the complete subs are available ( but ifu like the streaming the drama subbed is available on viki)!
Anyway , u can try Tatta hitotsu no koi , the story is so simple so cliche but very romantic !
im still waiting for the subs of nagareboshi...yes ur right tatta hitotsu no koi is one of my fave drama....highly recommended....nice story line....

bugs_3v

Post by bugs_3v » Jan 31st, '11, 08:01

ehimedays wrote:
iluvasiandrama wrote:Well the newer dramas are getting better. I have been watching more kdrama lately because they seem to have a lot of funny one's to choose from that are not too kiddy like.
for a while, I actually preferred k-dramas.
that was during the golden years when full house, coffee prince, my name is kim sam soon, etc were rolling out from the hot k-drama oven.

but a really low point came when I tried very hard to get into "secret garden". FAIL. lol.

then I saw clearly, how k-dramas are still stuck in the "rich, spoiled guy" meets "poor, kind girl" storyline.
they have been stuck in that rut for years now.
and it's getting old.
with "Nagareboshi" I dived right back into the frequently brilliant world that is J-drama.
it's not really the fault of K-dramas. It's just that... J-dramas are too good. there's much more writing talent.
nice observation...i totally agree with you...lately ive been watching kdrama but dis past few months i got back to jdoramas because of nagareboshi....what a good drama...nice acting....i remember the first time i watch a jdrama it was titled forbidden love starring tackey and nanako....after that i didn't stop watching jdramas.....they are much better than korean dramas....

kingfisher13

Post by kingfisher13 » Feb 1st, '11, 01:46

Hey, thanks for the ideas... I will look into Hotaru no Hikari, it sounds like fun ;)
The only problem is space on my computer... Im running out of space, and I probably couldn't fit another tv series right now... How about some J drama movies that fit the description I gave? I found one, called Lovely Complex so far. That one ROCKED. The ending was awesome, the characters were fun, and the plot was workable. I would like to find some more Jdrama movies that fit my previous description... do you know of any?
Thanks again

iluvasiandrama

Post by iluvasiandrama » Feb 1st, '11, 05:01

Hotaru no Hikari was very good. You should like that one.

kingfisher13

Post by kingfisher13 » Feb 1st, '11, 13:14

Is it in movie form? I never really got into the full length TV series Jdramas... I always preferred the movie versions. The problem is they are so difficult to find. If it is in movie form, I should be able to find it with some english subs. Any other movies?