wintersweet wrote:Ah, I just watched a bit of "Onegai Demon" on Veoh. It's a totally silly 1993 comedy about a bunch of supernatural beings--really like a live-action supernatural comedy (romance?) manga, or the Addams Family or something. I'm dying to watch a drama like that! I don't know that it was ever fansubbed, though. (Even though it's only 5 episodes... ;)) Anyway, it doesn't show up in the torrent search here.
Any suggestions for something like that, but that *is* available subbed? (I know about "Trick," but this is way wackier from the bit that I watched--gothic slapstick, basically.)
I checked out a bit of Onegai Demon
, while I download the episodes for later. Looks silly and fun. Not too much that I can recommend in that genre, since there aren't as many shows in supernatural comedy--subbed or unsubbed. There are two subbed ones, two partially subbed ones, and one about to be subbed one that come to mind though:
Yume wo Kanaeru Zou
- There's a series and an SP which precedes it. It's about the elephant God Ganesha being called upon by mortals to fix their lives. Instead he gives them strange sounding lessons, so that they can fix their lives themselves. Very silly, slapstick, and funny. It's fully subbed by Queerbeet.
Mirai Koshi Meguru
- Meguru is a teacher from a psychic family, and when she comes of age she discovers that after eating she can see people's selves ten years into the future. Another funny series that is fully subbed.
- This one is only partially subbed by DoReMii, but it's mostly episodic so you could check out those 5 subbed eps. (DoReMii has direct downloads of those episodes on their site.) It's about a gloomy teacher at a girls' school who gets her fun by dressing as the ghost of a murdered woman and tracking the posts about the Guren Onna on her BBS. She begins to encounter real ghosts, and each episode deals with her trying to help the ghosts and humans around her. There are ongoing arcs about her love life and about the murder of the woman she dresses as.
Shiori to Shimiko no Kaiki Jikenbo
- Only 3 episodes were subbed by I@F, but they are completely stand alone. The series is about two middle school girls who get involved in totally wacky and bizarre cases in their town. The full series was 13 episodes (around 22min each), but even in just the 3 that are subbed you get searching for corpses for fun, gigantic jealous wives, endless libraries, suicide restaurants where they'll help you off yourself, haunted books ... it's really a surreal little series with lots of supernatural characters.
One title to be on the watch for in the not so distant future is:
Boku no Mahou Tsukai
- Sars has purchased the DVDs and is looking for subbers for this older series presently. It's about a lovey dovey couple whose lives are turned upside down after the wife has a bike accident and smacks heads with a famous memory specialist played by Furuta Aruta. Now whenever she tries hard to think, she physically turns into him...much to the horror of her husband. The husband quits his job to spend more time with her, and ends up working for a group who help people in the neighborhood--all the while trying to hide his wife's condition from them and her uber-protective, uber short daddy.
There is one other series I can think of that might work for you. Koishite Akuma
was fully subbed by TimeLesSubs this summer. It's about a vampire boy who falls in love with his teacher. I haven't seen it myself so I don't know if it has the wacky or slapstick vibe to it, but Onegai Demon seems to have a similar premise in a romance between an akuma/demon and a human teacher. You could look into it and see if it fits for you.