Do asian men date /marry other races

The real life drama forum. Discuss your relationships or get to know the other members here.
Post Reply
graycious
Posts: 3
Joined: Feb 20th, '09, 06:09

Do asian men date /marry other races

Post by graycious » Feb 20th, '09, 06:29

Hi everyone
I love asian men but they dont see me I am hispanic descent and live in the West Indies where I have asians in my family.,
In America you rarely see asian men dating outsides of their race

Any ideas or thoughts

User avatar
xxemz19xx
Posts: 70
Joined: Mar 1st, '08, 17:48
Location: England

Post by xxemz19xx » Feb 20th, '09, 06:57

In the UK I've seen plenty of white women dating Asian men.
I really think it has nothing to do with race, this question gets asked alot..... and I think maybe it's just in America the race issue is raised alot more then here in the UK. (My opinion only)

We're all people maybe you should go after a guy you like, you might get a shock. Asians are known to be shy... maybe you should make the first move instead of worrying about race. :D

User avatar
groink
Posts: 2016
Joined: Dec 8th, '03, 03:58
Location: Pearl City, Hawaii

Post by groink » Feb 20th, '09, 07:06

If the Asian male is independent, then race is not an issue. However, if he's a mama's boy, and allows his parents or other relatives to influence who he marries (notice I didn't say "date" - a date is potentially his future wife), then more likely he'll date only within his own race.

Regarding America, the reason is that many Asian Americans still carry the idea that marriage within their race is the preference. With each new generation, this ideology lessens. But still, there are many 1st and 2nd generation Asians in the U.S. - many of which haven't grown out of this ideology. Remember that the U.S. continue to receive thousands of new Asians each year.

--- groink
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.

nasi_tambah1
Posts: 84
Joined: Oct 30th, '08, 11:20

Post by nasi_tambah1 » Feb 20th, '09, 07:59

If you happened to watch "Love in Asia" Or "Chit chat of beauty" variety program broadcast by KBS World. There are many of Asian guy married with foreigner including from Russia, Italy & etc. Why don't you search these programs in internet. I bet it will broaden your horizon.
In Malaysia, local men marrying foreigner is a common scenario. If you want to marry asian men feel free to come to Malaysia he.. he.. (just kidding) :D

nankasento
Posts: 127
Joined: Mar 5th, '08, 22:48

Re: Do asian men date /marry other races

Post by nankasento » Feb 21st, '09, 16:51

graycious wrote:Hi everyone
I love asian men but they dont see me I am hispanic descent and live in the West Indies where I have asians in my family.,
In America you rarely see asian men dating outsides of their race

Any ideas or thoughts
Yeah how about loving a guy for being that guy instead of being of a certain race?

On a side note, my Father is Asian and my Mother is European, and I agree with Groink & xxemz19xx, in Europe you see it a lot and in America it's just a matter of time, unfortunately that might be to late for your case, because that takes years & years, generations after generations.

Mai-Soon
Posts: 365
Joined: Mar 9th, '09, 20:19
Location: Egypt
Contact:

Re: Do asian men date /marry other races

Post by Mai-Soon » Mar 9th, '09, 20:52

nankasento wrote:
graycious wrote:Hi everyone
I love asian men but they dont see me I am hispanic descent and live in the West Indies where I have asians in my family.,
In America you rarely see asian men dating outsides of their race

Any ideas or thoughts
Yeah how about loving a guy for being that guy instead of being of a certain race?

On a side note, my Father is Asian and my Mother is European, and I agree with Groink & xxemz19xx, in Europe you see it a lot and in America it's just a matter of time, unfortunately that might be to late for your case, because that takes years & years, generations after generations.
Totally agree with you :salut:

Its not about race , I live in Egypt , and we have no problem getting married from any other nationality..its all up to you...and to your heart :wub:

ethidda
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 501
Joined: Feb 16th, '07, 01:51
Contact:

Post by ethidda » Mar 9th, '09, 22:29

If you make a statement like "I love Asian men", I don't see why an Asian man can't make the statement "I love Asian women", which is basically the part that you are agonizing over. Every time I see a post like this (as in the "I love Asian men, but why do they want only their own race"), I think it's quite hypocritical.

Anyway, like everybody has said, there are some who have stronger preferences for what's on the outside than for who the person is on the inside. But of course, there's also the problem of language and culture. As an Asian girl (though I imagine this part is similar for Asian men), I can understand the draw of somebody who speaks ALL the languages I speak, somebody with whom I can make jokes about both cultures with, somebody who would understand references to American pop culture as well as obscure wuxia references, somebody who would understand why my family acts a certain way and makes certain demands. It's not that I'm narrow-minded about who I date or that I'm a doormat, but rather that if true love is a choice, why not choose somebody who can get along with the other people you love as well? Especially since my grandparents, whom I love very much, hardly speak English at all, and I would want them to meet whoever I decide to spend my life with. (And having said all that, if you really know me, you know that I don't usually go for Asian guys...)

One of the cutest/longest-lasting couples I know is an Asian guy with a non-Asian girl. And another couple I know who recently got together (and looks like they'll last) is the same. But I don't think it's a matter of race but just that their personalities go well together. The two girls are definitely not "Asian fangirls". Find a guy who complements you well (not compliments, though that never hurts either), and who cares which race he's from?

User avatar
Eddie113
Posts: 10
Joined: Mar 10th, '09, 22:13
Location: Alameda, CA

Post by Eddie113 » Mar 10th, '09, 22:51

well I'm an asian guy....actually half white, and half taiwanese, but look 100% asian.....and I've had gf's that have been white, asian, and my current one is indian. I think a lot of the mentality of who you date and what you're comfortable with stems from experiences growing up, and the type of culture and environment you were nurtured in.....if all you know growing up is asian girls, most likely you end up dating within that realm.....for me, i'm lucky to have experienced a lot of different things, and race never became an issue when it came to girls...i know a lot of my friends who are asian (guys) have usually 2 types of personalities......they are shy and not confident, or exact opposite being blunt and arrogant.....most of my friends fall in that first category.....obvisouly this can be said about anybody or any race but yeah.....honestly when it comes down to it, race shouldn't matter in today's multi-ethnic society, and we should all get past racial stereotypes and love each other as individuals :) (man that sounds so corny, but so true, lol)

Pinoy04
Posts: 5
Joined: Mar 12th, '09, 11:38
Location: United States

Post by Pinoy04 » Mar 12th, '09, 12:15

Well, I really don't think it matters a whole lot depending if your parents like to pair you up with someone in the same race and culture thats different, As for me I am Asian American, my mom is from the philippines and my father from the US with German and Irish cultures, for me...well...I never dated an american girl XD. Dunno why, just happened that way, I guess in my situation where I live, the girls here give american women a bad name.

User avatar
«minah»
Posts: 620
Joined: Jul 30th, '08, 16:17
Location: in a room

Post by «minah» » Mar 12th, '09, 15:11

Where I live you see so many Asian guys dating other races (yay!!!) but... but... I only know one Asian guy (well, he's half Korean half American but his Asian features are very dominate) that like Black girls... (*cries* but like.... he's a mane-whore kinda nad old, so I don't have a crush on him anymore) I wanna know do many Asian guys like.... date black girls becaue well, where I live and such. well, you don't see much interracial dating when the female is black. Like, are us black girls ugly to Asian guys? Like seriously... I mean I have a booooyfriend already >_> but still wanna knoooow. I rather ask here than making a thread since this falls under the same topic. I personally don't care about race (my boyfriend is Dominican) and he's my first boyfriend ever ^_^U And I had crushes on many many guys (not like I said anything to them since I'm shy) who were from different nationalities.

I wanna know is it hopeless? When I went to S. Korea over the summer with my class, well one girl is Columbian in the group and well, her skin is white, and like.... almost EVERY guy was like checking her out. But you know... poor little me didn't get look upon ;__; (even if my boyfriend was there) Not like I would cheat on him, that's horrible. But it's more like self-esteem issues, because well, it made me feel uglier than what I am because I'm Black, and don't think any Asian guy would find black girls attractive. Seriously, I think black girls (American black girls anyway) have it worse when it comes to dating since we have a bad stereotype and in lots of cultures (even in black cultures too it's evident) that lighter skin just mean you're more attractive. So um.......hewwooo?
Image

okgo
Posts: 2
Joined: Mar 20th, '09, 01:37

Post by okgo » Mar 20th, '09, 01:56

«minah» wrote:Where I live you see so many Asian guys dating other races (yay!!!) but... but... I only know one Asian guy (well, he's half Korean half American but his Asian features are very dominate) that like Black girls... (*cries* but like.... he's a mane-whore kinda nad old, so I don't have a crush on him anymore) I wanna know do many Asian guys like.... date black girls becaue well, where I live and such. well, you don't see much interracial dating when the female is black. Like, are us black girls ugly to Asian guys? Like seriously... I mean I have a booooyfriend already >_> but still wanna knoooow. I rather ask here than making a thread since this falls under the same topic. I personally don't care about race (my boyfriend is Dominican) and he's my first boyfriend ever ^_^U And I had crushes on many many guys (not like I said anything to them since I'm shy) who were from different nationalities.

I wanna know is it hopeless? When I went to S. Korea over the summer with my class, well one girl is Columbian in the group and well, her skin is white, and like.... almost EVERY guy was like checking her out. But you know... poor little me didn't get look upon ;__; (even if my boyfriend was there) Not like I would cheat on him, that's horrible. But it's more like self-esteem issues, because well, it made me feel uglier than what I am because I'm Black, and don't think any Asian guy would find black girls attractive. Seriously, I think black girls (American black girls anyway) have it worse when it comes to dating since we have a bad stereotype and in lots of cultures (even in black cultures too it's evident) that lighter skin just mean you're more attractive. So um.......hewwooo?
It is question of personal values, beliefs, preference. Even amongst "Asians", there is a strong resistance to date outside of our own ethnic background, including stereotypes, family ostracizing, etc.

XrayZ
Posts: 92
Joined: Jun 6th, '08, 10:05
Location: Inglan

Post by XrayZ » Mar 20th, '09, 02:57

graycious, i was having a conversation the other day with a person who didn't know what "Hispanic" was! Not a racist or anything, but it's not a term used so much in the UK. Hispanic people are considered whit over here (just a slightly darker shade).

All the slightly varying views which pop up should at least rassure you it's the kind of thing that works on a case-by-case basis.

minah, there was a thing in Jamaica a few years back where a reggae star (or a reggae noob, i forget the names of all involved) recorded a song about how he only liked pale-skinned girls... well, within a week there was a reply song out about how he was full of shite! But sadly you're right about the weird thing people have, I've seen the prejudice at work within the local Indian community with blokes talking smack about girls who looked gorgeous to me, just cause they were a shade darker...

But hey, the species will either evolve or die, so in the long run it'll all even out.

sinui
Posts: 7
Joined: Mar 19th, '09, 21:20

Post by sinui » Mar 21st, '09, 01:28

^.^; didnt read all the posts but: I think it's got to do a lot with education and cultural upbringing, not so much skin colour.. aka I'm asian from origin, brought up in europe and feel more attracted to european grown men than asian men? and I mean "grown" aka indian british, spanish that grew up in the uk, etc...

User avatar
Ladymercury
Posts: 575
Joined: Mar 27th, '05, 06:04

Post by Ladymercury » Mar 21st, '09, 01:36

Well, if Asian men didn't like non-asian women then I wouldn't be here today :D

Simple as that :-)

Johunnie
Posts: 3
Joined: Mar 19th, '09, 10:33
Location: Philippines

what a coincidence!

Post by Johunnie » Mar 24th, '09, 03:40

hahaha! this post is just in d nick of time! :O

just broken up with my BF and his dating a Korean chick now she is his student coz my ex teaches Korean to speak English so i guess its true! haha! so we are Pinoys.....Korean+Pinoy= i dunno haha.....

Just lucky coz i'm better off without him he batters me well if his gonna ruin my face better ruin the face of his Korean chick.....Thank God im all better now and happy:P :cheers:

|ZERO|
Posts: 95
Joined: Jul 1st, '07, 01:40

Post by |ZERO| » May 13th, '09, 06:37

All of the Asian guys I know have no interest in dating outside of their race. Most of them aren't even to keen on dating other Asian nationalities.

Peggy
Posts: 1659
Joined: Mar 18th, '04, 04:18
Location: USA

Post by Peggy » May 13th, '09, 06:59

I guess my understanding is a bit off regarding race. I was surprised to read in a couple of posts that Spanish people were not considered white. Well it never occurred to me.
Does that mean that my very much admired Rafael Nadal is not considered white?? Not that it matters, but for the life of me Spanish had never seemed different as far as skin colour was concerned. Just smarter... because they can speak Spanish and frequently English and sometimes two or three other languages.

Same thing goes for Japanese and Koreans as far as I am concerned. I think I have been watching Asian movies and dramas for over twenty years and got used to any facial differences but I never thought about colour.

I think I don't see race, but nationalities.

As for romance..it's all in the head and the way people relate to one another. You just meet someone and get to know them and take it from there.


Peggy

Puppet Princess
Posts: 1480
Joined: Sep 3rd, '06, 15:27
Location: Hawaii

Post by Puppet Princess » May 13th, '09, 07:59

Peggy wrote:I guess my understanding is a bit off regarding race. I was surprised to read in a couple of posts that Spanish people were not considered white. Well it never occurred to me.
Does that mean that my very much admired Rafael Nadal is not considered white?? Not that it matters, but for the life of me Spanish had never seemed different as far as skin colour was concerned. Just smarter... because they can speak Spanish and frequently English and sometimes two or three other languages.
As far as I was aware of racial classifications...
Spaniards = Caucasians.
Latin Americans = not Caucasians.

User avatar
PorcelainDoll
Posts: 9
Joined: Aug 19th, '10, 01:24
Location: USA

Post by PorcelainDoll » Aug 19th, '10, 03:07

xxemz19xx wrote:In the UK I've seen plenty of white women dating Asian men.
I really think it has nothing to do with race, this question gets asked alot..... and I think maybe it's just in America the race issue is raised alot more then here in the UK. (My opinion only)

We're all people maybe you should go after a guy you like, you might get a shock. Asians are known to be shy... maybe you should make the first move instead of worrying about race. :D

i always wondered why Asian men are so shy? :scratch:

justguess
Posts: 9
Joined: Oct 3rd, '10, 15:57

Post by justguess » Oct 3rd, '10, 16:04

there was this teacher at my high he was japanese, he married a white lady. he was from a small city in japan, he went to study to usa. so yeah, asian men date and marry women out of their race/nationality.

but then i have a korean friend and he has spent alot of time with korean friends since childhood, he has never considered dating a non-asian girl, he said his mom would kill him if he'd marry a non-asian girl... so there are different people, it just depends on how open-minded they are and their surroundings.

to answer someone's question, why asian men don't date black girls? well, marriages between black girls and asian men have happened. but again it depends on the person, their family and their surroundings.

devils2l
Posts: 22
Joined: Oct 11th, '10, 01:00

Post by devils2l » Oct 11th, '10, 15:39

Yeah, well, old habits die hard. Most of the transplanted Chinese like University students in my town have married Chinese girls so they have someone who can speak their language. Multi-generational Chinese (the Chinese have been in my country for over 150 years) don't seem to care. One of my oldest Chinese friends was married to a Morrocan woman and my Viet friend's daughters are all married to or going with caucasian men. But try to do this in the old country and it may be very hard. The old prejudices never died out. 1st generation immigrants are the worst. The old people still think they are in their home country and will still practise things like arranged marriages, trying to run things from a family law perspective that clashes with their new country (there have been court cases here with some groups trying to get around our law codes in favor of those from their home country), etc. Pretty tough unless you have found someone whose parents are pretty broad minded. Luckily...I have made friends with people who are like that. I tend to ignore the others....they are not the people I want to hang around with anyway.

liongig680
Posts: 18
Joined: Oct 25th, '04, 20:03
Location: UK

Post by liongig680 » Dec 5th, '10, 18:59

As native of Thai living in UK, I feel my experience is little different from other posts here. In 1993 I came to UK without speaking much English and that is really making dating British girl near impossible. I had tried dating then but never went beyond chatting up. In addition, I was living in this town where workers at Chinese takeaway and I are the only handful of oriental people in the area. This area is so remote you cannot even spot any Asian (in this case I mean the people with Indian descent). I do believe being in such as whiter than white area did not help with the dating white person. Frankly I will go as far as saying I am more likely to get shouting abused at than getting a girl.

Fortunately I moved away from that area by the millennium which in turn increases my dating prospect lol. Since moving to a larger more metropolitan city I have better luck at dating white girl. Plus being able to speak better English and tell jokes do help! But personally I don’t consider marriage white girl as I found two things that really are big turn off; drinking and smoking. They often drink like a horse and smoke like a chimney. Even when I found a nice girl that normally does not smoke. Get her a few drinks and that set her off smoking. For me I think oriental girl are far more feminist than white girl which even many of my English mates agree. And for this reason, I think for oriental parent person and their family, when it come to finding their partner, they often go for people in their own race.

melancholinista
Posts: 1
Joined: Nov 26th, '09, 01:23
Location: Florida

Post by melancholinista » Dec 12th, '10, 20:59

Of course they do! I go to a college with a lot of international students, and I have made many connections with people from different countries! I've been on a date with someone from Korea, and we hit it off but he was graduating and going back to Korea. My current bf is Vietnamese. I met him at school too. He moved to the states when he was 4, and is from the same state as me. We really enjoy each other's company, we're like best friends! We live together and are currently celebrating 2 years. :wub: I'm black btw.

I really think it's about the connection two people have, race is just a filter for people and their preferences and influences so that should never shy anyone away from approaching someone outside their race cause that might change their outlook on that race. For example my bf won't date Hispanics because of his expereicnes with living in Miami and was really scared of approaching me but really liked my personality. He never expected to date a black person, ever. He kept an open minded attitude which led us to where we are today.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest