how can you tell if a girl likes you

The real life drama forum. Discuss your relationships or get to know the other members here.
User avatar
slowmoe
Posts: 276
Joined: Apr 29th, '08, 05:23
Location: westcoast

Post by slowmoe » May 1st, '08, 17:44

@Lifo
she doesnt even look at me....cant see her eyes... :-(

User avatar
zyrene
Posts: 248
Joined: Mar 31st, '08, 11:38

Post by zyrene » May 1st, '08, 17:51

@lifo
dont trust the girls eyes. sometimes they used that to get what they want. its their ultimate weapon not to mention their tears.
@slowmoe
whos scary mary? i'm totally lost. :crazy:

User avatar
slowmoe
Posts: 276
Joined: Apr 29th, '08, 05:23
Location: westcoast

Post by slowmoe » May 1st, '08, 18:14

gina says scary mary is her friend from nyu.....chew'd my ass in debate this morning......people on myspace were making fun of me....shes scary bro....

User avatar
zyrene
Posts: 248
Joined: Mar 31st, '08, 11:38

Post by zyrene » May 1st, '08, 18:19

LOL.... you guyz are really serious about the debate thing. even took it out of this forum. :D are they philo major too?

User avatar
slowmoe
Posts: 276
Joined: Apr 29th, '08, 05:23
Location: westcoast

Post by slowmoe » May 1st, '08, 18:33

them two law major minor in philo i think....am not going back to phlio group...no more myspace.....

User avatar
zyrene
Posts: 248
Joined: Mar 31st, '08, 11:38

Post by zyrene » May 1st, '08, 18:37

hehe.. your debating against law students. thats an expected result. and its two against one so its not that bad.
sorry cant help you coz am not good at philosophy. :D

i'm going zzzZZZ now, got to work 5 hours from now and a class after work. why is life so hard??? :cry:

User avatar
Jscorpio
Posts: 191
Joined: Apr 21st, '08, 20:45

Post by Jscorpio » May 1st, '08, 18:47

**Busy watching EP 4**

The suspense is killing me.. Damn Damn Damn..

Zyrene wrote: "why is life so hard???"
Because you SUCKED!! :P
Night nite, mate..

lincorp.com
Posts: 44
Joined: Apr 14th, '08, 04:56

Post by lincorp.com » May 1st, '08, 18:48

slowmoe: What in the world are you guys discussing??? I am totally lost with all the philosophical jargon...speak english ppl.... :crazy:



Jscorpio: Love the Queen??? I thought you were from Australia...say Crikey for me...just one time PLEEEEEEEEEASEEEEEEEEEEEE

User avatar
slowmoe
Posts: 276
Joined: Apr 29th, '08, 05:23
Location: westcoast

Post by slowmoe » May 1st, '08, 18:57

free will....sorry couldnt direct you to it ....group mods deleted the thread...chat more later zyrene....

Britishk
Posts: 51
Joined: Apr 28th, '08, 15:26

Post by Britishk » May 1st, '08, 19:15

Look Moe,

Let's dispense with your strawman and argue with what I actually said shall we? Stop reworking my argument into something you can more easily assail. I said nothing of scratching.

There is no reason why the decision should or shouldn't be anything. It is what it is. It appears to have no sufficient cause outside the human. I cannot observe something that isn't there thus I cannot observe a "lack of cause". There is a technical name for this fallacy but I call it proof of the negative. I do not have to prove that the decision has no cause. I cannot observe any sufficient cause, therefore in the lack of any evidence that it does exist, it doesn't. It's called a null hypothesis and is the default position for any scientific thinker.

How would you prove that there aren't little purple men on a planet orbiting alfa centauri? Would your inability to prove the negative mean that such men exist?

Think!

User avatar
Halfass
Posts: 102
Joined: Apr 26th, '08, 01:32

Post by Halfass » May 1st, '08, 19:24

Dang bro! You on your own Bobba! Peace OUT! :D

User avatar
slowmoe
Posts: 276
Joined: Apr 29th, '08, 05:23
Location: westcoast

Post by slowmoe » May 1st, '08, 19:32

what the hell bro dont me leave with scary mary....

hey britishk....welcome to d-addicts...have some coffee....enjoy your stay....peace out too....

User avatar
Halfass
Posts: 102
Joined: Apr 26th, '08, 01:32

Post by Halfass » May 1st, '08, 19:49

Britishk wrote:Halfass,

First you assume the "determinist components". I am not allowing you this sleight of hand. If you claim "determinist components" then prove them. You can't just assume them and then ask me to disprove your assumption.
Apologies, My Lady. My assumption was that someone arguing against determinism would have some sensitivity to the determinist argument. The deterministic components in this instance are your body, your genetics and the experiences that your body has assimilated.
Britishk wrote:How would you prove that there aren't little purple men on a planet orbiting alfa centauri? Would your inability to prove the negative mean that such men exist?
It's unfalsifiable. Kind of like the anti-determinism you claim for your free will.

Britishk
Posts: 51
Joined: Apr 28th, '08, 15:26

Post by Britishk » May 1st, '08, 20:14

<b>Halfass wrote: "Apologies, My Lady. My assumption was that someone arguing against determinism would have some sensitivity to the determinist argument."</b>

I am very aware of the determinist argument and it fails because it is based in faith. Perhaps you should've read the entire thread in your MySpace before you go off half-ass'd like this.

<b>"The deterministic components in this instance are your body, your genetics and the experiences that your body has assimilated."</b>

So, what combination of these things caused me to type these words? Was this post genetically pre-programmed? Show me how. Was this post conditioned? What conditioned it and how did the conditioning affect body?

You simply throw out words about disciplines you barely know and expect that to stand as proof. It doesn't cut it with me. I need proof like sufficient cause. You know, like the eightball example I already posted numerous times in the deleted thread. You cannot invoke science without an actual scientific explanation.

<b>"It's unfalsifiable."</b>

My point exactly! Just like the possibility of an unobserved cause of this post is unfalsifiable.

<b> "Kind of like the anti-determinism you claim for your free will."</b>

No Martin. You could easilly falsify my notion of free will by showing sufficient cause for this post in the absence of my free will.

Good luck.

User avatar
Jscorpio
Posts: 191
Joined: Apr 21st, '08, 20:45

Post by Jscorpio » May 1st, '08, 20:58

And now we interrupt our regular scheduled programming for BREAKING NEWS..

CNN had discovered that water is wet.. Ice is cold.. The sun rises in the East, and sets in West..

@lincorp.com:

:offtopic:
**Ignoring you**

lincorp.com
Posts: 44
Joined: Apr 14th, '08, 04:56

Post by lincorp.com » May 1st, '08, 21:06

Jscorpio wrote:And now we interrupt our regular scheduled programming for BREAKING NEWS..

CNN had discovered that water is wet.. Ice is cold.. The sun rises in the East, and sets in West..

@lincorp.com:

:offtopic:
**Ignoring you**
Awww i feel special...she leaves me special messages in her spoiler tag... :heart:

User avatar
Halfass
Posts: 102
Joined: Apr 26th, '08, 01:32

Post by Halfass » May 1st, '08, 22:11

Britishk wrote:I am very aware of the determinist argument and it fails because it is based in faith. Perhaps you should've read the entire thread in your MySpace before you go off half-ass'd like this.
If you were genuinely aware of the determinist argument, then you'd understand why your first sentence is a non-sequitur. This makes your second sentence little more than an ad hominem.
Britishk wrote:So, what combination of these things caused me to type these words? Was this post genetically pre-programmed? Show me how. Was this post conditioned? What conditioned it and how did the conditioning affect body?
Uhh, the precise combination of components doesn't detract from the point that these components are determined. As such, your point here is an evasion, not a challenge. Since I've identified the determined components of free will, as per your request, I therefore return to the (implicit) question of my original post, if you subtract all the determined components of free will, then what's left? I must note though, as I notice a further ad hominem looming on the horizon, I'm less than confident about a productive response.
Britishk wrote:You simply throw out words about disciplines you barely know and expect that to stand as proof.
Here we go, now, unless you're claiming extra-sensory powers to accompany your supernaturalist account of free will, then this is an ad hominem. I was hoping for something more sophisticated. Oh well.
Britishk wrote:My point exactly!
The irony of your agreement with someone who you construe to barely know about the disciplines in question is striking. And clearly, this is not your point, for as you go on to say: <i>"Just like the possibility of an unobserved cause of this post is unfalsifiable."</i>

If you were genuinely sensitive to the point, then you'd realise its implications for your case. So, that just about wraps up your idea of free will. Have you anything more to offer, Gina?
Britishk wrote:No Martin. You could easilly falsify my notion of free will by showing sufficient cause for this post in the absence of my free will.

Good luck.
Of course your free will caused your post, just not the non-determinist variety that you claim. Now, you give the appearance of understanding the principle of falsifiability, so you must also understand why your notion of free will is, like the non-existence of little purple men on a planet orbiting alfa centauri, unfalsifiable, and why, therefore, your claim as to how to resolve the issue a bit of a howler. Hint: by definition, we cannot falsify something which is not determined.

PS:
Britishk wrote:Slowmoe, the problem is that you have stated the event in the negative. There is never a cause of something not happening.
Damn Gina! The car wouldn't start because the earthing strap had come away. The sun didn't rise because it had been eaten by a giant interstellar turtle. The person couldn't exercise their free will because they were dead. Finding the cause which prevents a certain set of circumstances from occuring is different to attempting to prove a negative. But you knew that, right? *Wink

Locked

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot] and 2 guests