Appeal for potential donors

The real life drama forum. Discuss your relationships or get to know the other members here.
ah_blub

Appeal for potential donors

Post by ah_blub » Jan 28th, '08, 08:24

Hi all,

Below is an appeal email from my friend in Singapore. The reason why I posted here is because of the multi-national forum members who frequent this forum. I hope those of you who read this could take the initiative to help my friend and also to help any similar patients out there in the world. Please take a few minutes to read the below email and i sincerely would hope that you could take some time to make a trip down to the nearest donor centre near you. I will be heading down to register myself too. Thank you for your time. My friend and her family would be eternally grateful if you could be the one who can save her only brother. Please help to spread the word around.

Thanks,

Chee Keeng aka ah_blub

====================================================

Dear Friends,

My brother had a relapse from Lymphoma (Cancer). He was diagnosed in 22 Nov 2006, it was stage 4,when it was discovered. The chance of recovering is slim but he chose to perservere and fight it out. He promised to attend my wedding and also to outlive my parents. He went through chemotherapy , ice chemo and even a bone marrow transplantation (his own) in Oct 2007.

His CT scan on the 17 Dec showed that all cancer cells are cleared. He cried upon hearing and me too, but on 17 Jan 2008. A cancerous lump appeared near his appendix. The cancerous cells is back, faster than expected. We cannot accept, but we have to. The doctor said that the only alternative is for him to undergo radiotherapy to control the lump and buy more time and quickly do a bone marrow transplantation .

My bone marrow do not match him, I was devasted as I was the best chance that he have. This means that a suitable bone marrow must be found in this world to save him. I have been sending emails to my friends colleagues and everyone that I know and could think of. The reason is for I know that I cannot help him except praying hard. I pray for a chance for recovery, a chance of finding a match and also a chance to continue to be Yiyong's sister. The chance that I know that all of us have to fight for.

His friends, schoolmates and colleagues had been helping to circulate this emails to as much people as possible. They are really trying to help him. I really do not know if doing this will be useful but it is a chance that I have to take for someone so dear to me. The pain for seeing him enduring the pain of the sickness and the uncomfort and side effects of the treatment. The pain of seeing my mom's expression everyday looking after him and the tears that she had cried for him. I had been receiving emails like this before and frankly deleted them without consideration.

I now understand the pain behind emails like this . I am afraid to think about a future without him. A bone marrow match is unlike a blood donation , a person that I missed out may just be the one that can save him.The odds of a match is 1 in 20,000. There are approximately, 28,000 registered bone marrow donor in the Singapore's registry (BMDP -- Bone Marrow Donor Programme). SGH will assist to search for a match in the Registry both locally and overseas. I will like to appeal to everyone of you to help me save my only brother, he is only 27 this year ,please help our family and many others in desperate situations.

You may just be the one who could save my only brother. Please register as a potential bone marrow donor to see if your bone marrow matches my brother or any other patients as critically ill . There is no limitations to blood type. Just go to any donor centre and say that you want to be a potential donor .

Details can be found at this website: http://www.bmdp.org/ .

Thank you very much to those who had already volunteer as a donor after reading this email. I may not know you and may not have the chance to thank you personally, but thanks for making my family's life easier for the hope and kindness that you have shown us.

The donation centres are:
1)National University Hospitalhttp://www.nuh.com.sg/Blood Donation CentreLevel 1, Main Building 15 Lower Kent Ridge RoadSingapore 119074Tel: (65) 6772 5356
OPENING HOURS:Monday to Friday: 8.00 am - 5.00 pm
Saturday: 8.30 am - 12.30 pm
Extended hours on Wednesday until 7.30 pm
Closed on Sundays and Public Holidays

2)SGH Haematology Centrehttp://www.sgh.com.sg/Block 7, Level 2Singapore General HospitalTel: (65) 6321 4722
OPENING HOURS:Weekdays: 9.00am to 4.00pm
Saturdays: 9.00am to 11.30am

THANK YOU FOR READING THIS EMAIL AND PLEASE HELP ME CIRCULATE TO THOSECLOSE TO U. (APPRECIATE UR LOVE ONES ALWAYS, DUN TAKE THEM FOR GRANTED)

From Fion Ng.

====================================================

ah_blub

Post by ah_blub » Feb 22nd, '08, 06:16

My friend's brother who had the mentioned cancer has his news featured on asiaone online news.

http://health.asiaone.com/Health/News/S ... 50917.html

Those who wish to register as potential donor, its just a 5 min procedure where:=

- you will be asked to fill up a declaration form
- the nurse will draw a 10cc blood sample from you

Thats all. :)

Hope you guys could help him to fight this rare cancer battle.

ah_blub