Interracial dating... your views?

The real life drama forum. Discuss your relationships or get to know the other members here.
Prince of Moles
Posts: 218
Joined: Dec 26th, '05, 02:50
Location: Beneath NYC

Post by Prince of Moles » Mar 24th, '06, 20:54

I'm not saying any one person is racist (well there are those who are, but let's put them aside). No person in this thread is racist as far as I could tell from reading the posts.

But there has to be a societal reason why of all the black/white marriages, more than 66% are black male/white female and only 33% are white male/black female.

If what you are saying is correct and that all people are truly color blind, then there really should be roughly 50% black male/black female couples and 50% white male/black female couples. Heck if it were 55% and 45% (either way), I can chalk that up to statistical variation.

You can't just dismiss a margin that large, 2-1, by saying it's just luck.

PS
I think Asian males as a group are just as bad. In fact, if you look at their numbers and their reluctance to marry outside of their race, they look almost worse. (Especially since I think Asian male/Black female couples are rarer than Asian male/White female couple.)
Last edited by Prince of Moles on Mar 25th, '06, 06:54, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hisa
Posts: 102
Joined: Aug 6th, '05, 16:19
Location: NJ

Post by hisa » Mar 24th, '06, 22:25

wow...a lot of interesting points in this thread. I agree with some, not sure of others...
All I can do is give some insight from my own personal experience being mixed
My mom is filipino and my dad has a lot of french blood but a lot of others as well. I'm probably an exception to the norm since my dad works in guam (im in the us) visits about 2-3 times a year. My parents aren't divorced (another wierd thing about my family)...he just has his reasons (which I never quite have been able to understand). So..in terms of their relationship, it's probably different than the norm. In terms of my upbringing...also a tad different. I can say that there are some things he doesn't understand about the filipino culture , and being a stubborn man doesn't help. I grew up basically in a filipino household so I have the values and such instilled. I used to be confused and angry for being mixed when I was a bit younger--even envious of my friends who were filipino on both sides. Being mixed has had its effects on me in positive ways though. I think like a lot of other mixed children I've become very interested in other cultures and more open minded about the differences in every culture. Learning about my dad's side has resulted in me being proud of being what I am.

About the interacial relationships, I don't see anything wrong with it of course, and I inevitably will be in an interracial relationship considering Im mixed. There are the frustrations that will likely arise b/c of the differences in culture, but for me, I think it'd be fun going out with someone from another cultural background. But that's coming from a mixed kid's pov...

I understand about people wanting to marry within their own race, but I don't understand people being disturbed over "their people" marrying or going out with people from another race. The point about their race being wiped out sounds like a joke to me. Everyone's different for christ's sake! Just because some go out with those from other ethnic backgrounds doesn't mean everyone will! geeeeezzz...i think there's more than enough people in this world for that possibility to never come close to occurring.

Despite all this, I can't help but feel hurt hearing the phrase 'keeping our race pure'
as if I'm dirty being mixed...
:|

I do have a friend who's half taiwanese but is more taiwanese in her upbringing. I feel like we're the same, but at the same time not. Although I've had a more filipino upbringing, I've come to know more of my other side, whereas it seems as if her irish side doesn't even exist...it's kind of strange. Yet, she seems to be more attracted to white guys and seems to not be interested in asian guys at all. I'm attracted to both though...bah.

My aunt and uncle are a mixed couple also...my aunt is the sister of my dad, and my uncle is chinese. They don't seem to have much problems.
sorry, kind blabbered a lot in this post...
all in all, it really depends on the type of person you are

User avatar
Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 778
Joined: Mar 26th, '05, 08:35
Location: Seoul, South Korea (whooooza!)

Post by Néa Vanille » Mar 24th, '06, 22:51

albertoavena wrote:
halfchineseguy wrote:being a interracial kid sucks because everyon thinks your either 1 white or 2 asian never both and when people say that the hapa kids are beautiful how come peoplerather date a full blooded asian or white person?
You know, this kind of discourages me of marrying someone from a different race. Lets say I move to Japan, hypothetically speaking, and I marry a Japanese women, but I remain living in Japan. Being as it may, I may want to start a family and have children, how will those children be treated? Will someone want to marry them living in Japan? These kinds of things keep me up at night... :unsure:
This is a stupid reason not to marry outside of one's race, since while I admit that being mixed can lead to identity crisis, it can just as likely lead to a fulfilling, culturally enriched life many people will be envious of. Just remember that the mixed kid with two parents who love and understand each other is a whole lot likelier to be happy than the 'pure race' children with two unhappy parents who weren't even in love when they married. :whistling: I actually think that there is a bigger, more pressing issue that speaks against interracial marriages, which is the fact that many don't last long, because either one of them is unable to learn the other's language to a sufficient degree or there was some sort of racial-fetishization involved, which brings the marriage down once people grow older. I think people stop having racial fetishes once they get wiser and before long, all they long for is someone they can talk to. Still, if the love between two people is genuine then they shouldn't throw this love away and settle for someone they love less just because their child MIGHT be unpopular. :goggle:

But anyways, my Japanese boyfriend is convinced our mixed-children will be starlets. Japanese people who are half-white are likely to become models and will attract attention from their friends at school if they choose to mention their heritage (since many mixed Japanese look Asian enough to pass for Japanese). I SERIOUSLY doubt your kids (provided they don't come out as necrophiles) would have problems finding a spouse just because they have a white pop.

User avatar
albertoavena
Posts: 375
Joined: Sep 17th, '05, 09:22
Location: Chandler, AZ

Post by albertoavena » Mar 26th, '06, 06:18

Néa Vanille wrote:
albertoavena wrote:
halfchineseguy wrote:being a interracial kid sucks because everyon thinks your either 1 white or 2 asian never both and when people say that the hapa kids are beautiful how come peoplerather date a full blooded asian or white person?
You know, this kind of discourages me of marrying someone from a different race. Lets say I move to Japan, hypothetically speaking, and I marry a Japanese women, but I remain living in Japan. Being as it may, I may want to start a family and have children, how will those children be treated? Will someone want to marry them living in Japan? These kinds of things keep me up at night... :unsure:
This is a stupid reason not to marry outside of one's race, since while I admit that being mixed can lead to identity crisis, it can just as likely lead to a fulfilling, culturally enriched life many people will be envious of. Just remember that the mixed kid with two parents who love and understand each other is a whole lot likelier to be happy than the 'pure race' children with two unhappy parents who weren't even in love when they married. :whistling: I actually think that there is a bigger, more pressing issue that speaks against interracial marriages, which is the fact that many don't last long, because either one of them is unable to learn the other's language to a sufficient degree or there was some sort of racial-fetishization involved, which brings the marriage down once people grow older. I think people stop having racial fetishes once they get wiser and before long, all they long for is someone they can talk to. Still, if the love between two people is genuine then they shouldn't throw this love away and settle for someone they love less just because their child MIGHT be unpopular. :goggle:

But anyways, my Japanese boyfriend is convinced our mixed-children will be starlets. Japanese people who are half-white are likely to become models and will attract attention from their friends at school if they choose to mention their heritage (since many mixed Japanese look Asian enough to pass for Japanese). I SERIOUSLY doubt your kids (provided they don't come out as necrophiles) would have problems finding a spouse just because they have a white pop.
Thanks..I never really thought of it that way. Yeah, it is pretty stupid to worry about such things.. I'td be like:

"Would you marry me?"
"No, I don't think so, I want my children to be popular" (<---According to him/her)

Or something like that anyway. I like how you mentioned about if their love is "genuine", they shouldn't throw it all away for something as unimportant as having "popular" children. Yes, in the end, after the the "fetish" stuff, I guess it all comes downs to talking and just loving each other I guess..
Image

User avatar
Schala
Posts: 173
Joined: Jul 26th, '05, 10:41
Location: NJ, USA
Contact:

Post by Schala » Mar 26th, '06, 16:06

Well, as they say, "Love has no boundaries". So, if you say people shouldn't marry outside their race, that's putting a boundary on love, isn't it?

And to people who may say (I'm not sure if anyone did, I only skimmed the thread) that their kids will have a hard time growing up and will be made fun of, well, that's silly. Kids are cruel. Period. And if your child wasn't from parents of different races, I guarantee they would be made fun of for something else anyway. Kids always find something to make fun of another kid about. So, even if it's not about being of mixed races, it'll be about something else.

I also think others kids don't really notice those things at a young age. My cousin is adopted and she's Hispanic. I didn't really realize she was a different race from me until I was like 10 (nor did I know she was adopted until I was around 10). It was just the normal thing that my aunt and her spoke Spanish to each other. (My aunt is not Hispanic. And we always knew my cousin was in trouble when my aunt started to talk to her in Spanish in front of us. Lol :lol) I think children only start to notice or care about such things as race because parents or friends teach them those things. No one is born hating a certain race, they have to be TAUGHT to hate.
Image

bakan3ko
Posts: 36
Joined: Dec 31st, '05, 01:53

Post by bakan3ko » Mar 26th, '06, 16:25

:O

this topic should just be dropped. people will always want to be right. i mean it is all relative and even if someone would bring up hard facts (actually someone did in another thread); people will still believe what they want to believe. thus is the calamity of man.

i say just live your life the way you want to live it. marry whomever you want hopefully for the right reasons. and, if it bothers you all of this, just let it slide and do your best (gambatte). that is all that can be done.

and, i agree kids are cruel little basterds. though, often times, parents are too, though that is a secret. no more corny axioms or quotes plz :P

User avatar
requiem
Posts: 40
Joined: Mar 26th, '06, 21:49
Location: USA

Post by requiem » Mar 26th, '06, 22:20

This is a fun thread it, seems. :P
Mmm...I'm what most people refer to as a "melting pot" American, being that I have 5 different races heavily borne into my blood. I am half East Indian, about 30% black, and 20% white. Basically, my family history involves various racial groups over the world coming into contact, and has resulted in my "mutt" (for lack of a better word) genes.

As a result of this intertwined racial harmony within me, I also reflect no specific cultural tradition. Furthermore, I grew up in an all-white community, which heavily enacted itself upon my perspective of life. Unintentionally some of the time I think like I'm a white person, then I look into the mirror. Sometimes I'll see some of my black family, and feel like I don't belong. I would go to visit my Indian relatives, but I couldn't speak a damn word of Bengali for the life of me. Dinner might be Tandoori Chicken, Fried Chicken, or soup and sandwich. And last of all, once I grew familiar with the Far East and its forms of entertainment, incorporating Japanese into my daily practice of language I pretty much shaped myself as a faceless-intrasocietal-ambiguity-of-culturization - or in other words, "I don't got no culture."

Anyways, I, like many in this forum, have a a thing for Asian women. I, however, was convinced I could never possibly have an Asian girlfriend for the life of me, but I still thought of how wonderful the idea was nonetheless.

Soon enough, to my surprise, this year I shared 6 months of my life with a South Korean exchange student. When we broke up, I blamed it on the color of my skin (which is dark enough to consider me black in a way). I felt used mainly, until somehow I got into a fight with her sister who explained to me the situation. It was something else, but that's not the point.

As someone who is by definition the result of several interracial relationships, I am proud of my heritage and how things have come out of it. I have suffered because of my ethnic background(s), but nonetheless I am proud of just how ungrouped I am. My parents don't expect me to necessarily marry a black or Indian woman, leaving me to explore for what I truly feel. Thus, as of right now I have a thing for Asians, and I intend to have a relationship with anyone of them that I so please. To disagree with me on that is to deny me what I already am in the first place.

Btw this is my first post, too. :whistling:

User avatar
Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 778
Joined: Mar 26th, '05, 08:35
Location: Seoul, South Korea (whooooza!)

Post by Néa Vanille » Mar 28th, '06, 20:12

Very good and interesting first post, requiem. :lol You are free to prefer Asian women, but, say, do you rule out Black, Indian or white women from the beginning just because they are not Asian? Because this is where unhealthy racial fetishization starts for me, since I believe that having preferences is okay, maybe even good, but fixating oneself on only one race is a little bit narrow-minded, even if it's not your own. It's just a question, though.

User avatar
requiem
Posts: 40
Joined: Mar 26th, '06, 21:49
Location: USA

Post by requiem » Mar 29th, '06, 01:54

Néa Vanille wrote:You are free to prefer Asian women, but, say, do you rule out Black, Indian or white women from the beginning just because they are not Asian? Because this is where unhealthy racial fetishization starts for me, since I believe that having preferences is okay, maybe even good, but fixating oneself on only one race is a little bit narrow-minded, even if it's not your own. It's just a question, though.
Mmmm...
requiem wrote:My parents don't expect me to necessarily marry a black or Indian woman, leaving me to explore for what I truly feel. Thus, as of right now I have a thing for Asians, and I intend to have a relationship with anyone of them that I so please.
I suppose that sounds a bit, too strong. Let's just say that I've dated women of other races, and even now I find myself attracted to a woman of any race...

I really find it a preference in the sense that I find that sort of beauty and character to be exotic and beautiful. Also, another thing is exactly the cultural traits of women who come from the Far East - their type of cute, to me, is 1000x more enticing than a white, American woman. Both of which I find attractive, I would naturally want to lean more towards a woman who entices me more, though, don't you think?

I should mention that I don't like every Asian woman I come across, and I am still looking at all women equally...

...lol watch me end up with some random hispanic girl who hates my whole anime-Asia-entertainment-culture aspect. The sheer lack of logic in love is too exasperating.

User avatar
chrizzy_bebe
Posts: 31
Joined: May 29th, '06, 14:04
Location: Australia

Post by chrizzy_bebe » Jun 22nd, '06, 14:41

mmmm considering that im a mix myself, it can be difficult being two different nationalities... other times it's great because you're different from the norm *laughs* but yeah, interracial dating isn't really an issue for me!

nikochanr3
Posts: 608
Joined: Apr 22nd, '05, 02:48
Location: NY

Post by nikochanr3 » Jun 22nd, '06, 14:55

theres nothing "unhealthy" about wanting asian woman. its no different than wanting a TALL guy, or a person who likes opera, or a banker, etc. you cant train your mind to like what it doesnt like. its only unhealthy if you have unreasonable stereotypes and you act on them. it limits your choices, but we all do that. i think calling it a fetish is a little rude....

ive only dated outside my race. :lol I'm spanish, and i've had like one spanish girl i ever liked, and she didnt like me. Not really any white (american) girls either. lots of asian (including east asian), french, russian, and black. Married a japanese girl. My preference for asian women hasn't hurt me at all. :P

so id say i have no issues with interracial dating.
Please visit my homepage! :w00t: [url=http://nikochanr3.blogspot.com/[/url]

AIM me at Nikochanr3 if you like. I''''m bored.

mimmi
Posts: 573
Joined: Mar 19th, '05, 22:03
Location: wisconsin

Post by mimmi » Jun 22nd, '06, 15:39

:-) no problem here....I have an interacial marriage, (yeah, some inlaws can be so difficult), but I and my other half overcame that....we're stronger 'cause of criticism we came across from his side, and who give a "f" about it....it's our relationship, not theirs, and we live and support ourselves ( that's in the past ; they're turned arround now and and accepting us, what's change their minds? who knows....maybe they see that we're a terrific couple :lol....kid? gorgeous, strikngly beautiful, dazzling, ete,etc :lol :lol....ok, I'm so happy....so I repeat, no problem here.....

User avatar
Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 778
Joined: Mar 26th, '05, 08:35
Location: Seoul, South Korea (whooooza!)

Post by Néa Vanille » Jun 22nd, '06, 16:08

nikochanr3 wrote:theres nothing "unhealthy" about wanting asian woman. its no different than wanting a TALL guy, or a person who likes opera, or a banker, etc. you cant train your mind to like what it doesnt like. its only unhealthy if you have unreasonable stereotypes and you act on them. it limits your choices, but we all do that. i think calling it a fetish is a little rude....
I never said wanting Asian women was unhealthy. It isn't. Preferring them isn't unhealthy either.

However, there IS such a thing as an unhealthy fetish, which I believe starts when you ONLY ONLY ONLY want to date someone of a specific race. Clearly, this doesn't seem to be the case for you since you also dated French and African-American women. :-)

I also have my preferences, but it would be incredibly narrow-minded to think, "okay, so he's tall, good-looking, intelligent, sensitive, understanding, athletic, educated, good with children, wealthy and faithful AND HE WANTS ME!!!!! But ohhh, he's black. And I only date Asian men. Too bad."

nikochanr3
Posts: 608
Joined: Apr 22nd, '05, 02:48
Location: NY

Post by nikochanr3 » Jun 22nd, '06, 16:54

Néa Vanille wrote:
nikochanr3 wrote:theres nothing "unhealthy" about wanting asian woman. its no different than wanting a TALL guy, or a person who likes opera, or a banker, etc. you cant train your mind to like what it doesnt like. its only unhealthy if you have unreasonable stereotypes and you act on them. it limits your choices, but we all do that. i think calling it a fetish is a little rude....
I never said wanting Asian women was unhealthy. It isn't. Preferring them isn't unhealthy either.

However, there IS such a thing as an unhealthy fetish, which I believe starts when you ONLY ONLY ONLY want to date someone of a specific race. Clearly, this doesn't seem to be the case for you since you also dated French and African-American women. :-)

I also have my preferences, but it would be incredibly narrow-minded to think, "okay, so he's tall, good-looking, intelligent, sensitive, understanding, athletic, educated, good with children, wealthy and faithful AND HE WANTS ME!!!!! But ohhh, he's black. And I only date Asian men. Too bad."
:scratch: in the two or three years before i was married i only dated asian girls, i really only was interested in them. i guess i wasnt saying NO ONE ELSE IS ACCEPTABLE, but it was almost like that, be it unconciously. Hmm... I guess it was never like you say though, if Jessica Alba walked up i would have dated her. :salut:
Please visit my homepage! :w00t: [url=http://nikochanr3.blogspot.com/[/url]

AIM me at Nikochanr3 if you like. I''''m bored.

User avatar
cgozun
Posts: 87
Joined: Jul 15th, '05, 18:24
Location: Garden State

Post by cgozun » Jun 22nd, '06, 19:38

I having nothing against interracial dating. I don't care who others date, but I don't like it when people tell me who to date. Although I don't consider one race superior to another, I do have preferences whether in regards to what color I want my children's eyes, hair, and skin, what morals and values to teach them, etc. If you narrowly define racism that way then by God just forfeit all your rights and freedom right now.

Anyone who tries to resist the hysteria of multiculturalism is immediately stigmatised as a racist. Multiculturalism denies the simple truth that cultures clash. Multiculturalism itself is inherintly racist. The flaws of that notion are easily realised as different cultures have different beliefs that make them incompatible. All of these conflicting values are the choices of cultures, but it is clear that only one course of action can be followed, so one culture must dominate.

Political correctness is the death of democracy.

billyuan
Posts: 1
Joined: Jun 27th, '06, 19:22

Post by billyuan » Jun 28th, '06, 05:52

It'd be nice if it was possible for people to date interracially without any conflicts, wouldn't it? Ideally, nothing should conflict between true love. However, being a proud Chinese man, it does irritate me when I see cute Asian girls in my school being taken by people of other races! But i think as time passes, and as Asian countries play a bigger part in international affairs, it will all be completely normal. :whistling:

User avatar
whowhatme
Posts: 35
Joined: Nov 16th, '05, 10:14
Location: Muscle Shoals, AL, USA

Post by whowhatme » Jun 28th, '06, 05:57

check out www.bitterasianmen.com ...this might provide some insight into this whole phenomenon

User avatar
Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 778
Joined: Mar 26th, '05, 08:35
Location: Seoul, South Korea (whooooza!)

Post by Néa Vanille » Jun 28th, '06, 13:45

Ever since I started getting interested in Asian men, I've stumbled upon countless, countless rants of Asian-American guys online complaining about how they can't get girls - it's incredibly unattractive to me and personally I don't see the point of bitching. If you can't get girls, it's most likely because you're unattractive - either physically or because you're socially inept. Both of which can be worked on.

Edit: here in Germany, the cute Japanese boyfriend is becoming a fashion accessory for many German girls.

User avatar
ChristinePak
Posts: 95
Joined: Feb 7th, '06, 04:44
Location: Seoul, South Korea

iT'S COoL

Post by ChristinePak » Jun 28th, '06, 13:58

Hmm.. well I am mixed Korean/white... so I come from an interracial family, but I prefer Korean men.. but my current boyfriend is White~ :wub:

rumstocker
Posts: 9
Joined: Jun 28th, '06, 15:55

yep

Post by rumstocker » Jun 28th, '06, 15:58

I have a korean g/f -- i'm white awesome

thislove
Posts: 152
Joined: Apr 3rd, '06, 01:47
Location: California, USA

Post by thislove » Jun 28th, '06, 16:13

I have no objection to interracial relationships because I myself in the past have liked many guys who aren't just one racial group. Considering I'm Vietnamese I prefer Chinese men somehow but that's just my thoughts. Somehow Vietnamese guys just dont attract me even though I'm Vietnamese. So for me interracial dating/relationships are fine with me; however I do know kids of interracial marriages can get really confuse at who they are and where they belong. I just think people should be more accepted of other people. I also think its neat to be more than one culture cuz than you would understand more of every culture that you are.

User avatar
Mythrel
Posts: 463
Joined: Aug 11th, '05, 02:34
Location: Burnaby, British Columbia

Post by Mythrel » Jun 28th, '06, 18:12

Couldn't agree more Néa Vanille. I got really irrated when I read billyuan post. I shouldn't pick on just one person since I have heard this complaint a few other times, but really come on. No one is stopping you from getting yourself a ''cute'' asian woman. I don't see why you would have a problem with other people being happy either.

I also have a problem with this whole cultures clash arguement too. Are there not Asians who are Christians? Are there not Caucasians who are Buddhist? Each race has a wide varitey of cultures within their own race and they won't always clash. Cultures can clash within their own race. If two people can love one another and overlook the little things then more power to them. If you are not willing to comprimise even a little for a relationship then don't ever get in one.
Im making you aware. That if you dont like me well I dont care. Ill be exactly who I am and if you got a problem with it. Well thats your problem, man.

Littleangel91356
Posts: 103
Joined: Apr 22nd, '05, 01:16
Location: USA

Post by Littleangel91356 » Jun 28th, '06, 20:36

I think it's totally ok if they understand each other's cluture and language to make things go smoother. I'm mixed with Japanese and Cacausian(however you spell it)myy parents STILL fight over Japanese cluture and Cacausian cluture because they clash really badly at times but they still get along pretty well.

But yeah, I'm mixed with many races and sometimes I do wonder "Where do I belong with? I'm not considered Japanese cause I'm half, also Germany same thing and I'm not completly a American cause I wasn't born there." so it does get confusing and hard to idenitify what we are.

But I would love to date a Japanese man for a try, to see what it's like. I personally don't mind if people are stolen or whatnot. If I find the right person, wheter it is African American, Korean, Vietnamnese, Filipino, etc. that's who ever it is for me....anyways, why make a big deal out of interracial? Sure there may be problems as any other couples and hard to adjust and such but there has been nice couples who are interracial.

nikochanr3
Posts: 608
Joined: Apr 22nd, '05, 02:48
Location: NY

Re: iT'S COoL

Post by nikochanr3 » Jun 28th, '06, 20:50

ChristinePak wrote:Hmm.. well I am mixed Korean/white... so I come from an interracial family, but I prefer Korean men.. but my current boyfriend is White~ :wub:
so basically you can be sitting by yourself and be having an interracial relationship. :whistling: Being mixed i think is nice ina way, cause you get (assumptions i know) viewpoints from different races at the same time growing up, helps you understand people more i think.
Please visit my homepage! :w00t: [url=http://nikochanr3.blogspot.com/[/url]

AIM me at Nikochanr3 if you like. I''''m bored.

User avatar
jpoplover08
Posts: 143
Joined: May 10th, '06, 02:49
Location: USA

Post by jpoplover08 » Jun 28th, '06, 21:08

I have never had a problem with interracial dating. Its just something that has never bothered me. It shouldnt matter what skin color your bf/gf is as long as both of you are in love and comfortable with eachother. But unfortunately there are still places in this world, today, that dont accept interracial dating, even in say the most free country in the world, the US.That's not to say that we, as a whole, havent come a very long way from about 50 or 60 years ago when it was all completely forbidden in alot of parts of the world. i, personally, tend to gravitate more towards asian men (im hispanic/spanish) and i see nothing wrong with that. So if a chinese man or woman wants to marry a black guy/girl then i say let them!
Dramas= LOVE :wub:

Image
Image

User avatar
Ebony_Hime
Posts: 26
Joined: Nov 30th, '05, 23:30
Location: US

Food For thought

Post by Ebony_Hime » Jun 28th, '06, 22:04

I read this in the Washington Post some time Back. For those that think that race is an actual thing, you may be interested in learning it is not. Outside of our cultural difference, human beings are not all that different internally at all.





Scientists Find A DNA Change That Accounts For White Skin
[FINAL Edition]
The Washington Post - Washington, D.C.
Author: Rick Weiss
Date: Dec 16, 2005
Start Page: A.01
Section: A SECTION
Document Types: News
Text Word Count: 1205

Skin color is a reflection of the amount and distribution of the pigment melanin, which in humans protects against damaging ultraviolet rays but in other species is also used for camouflage or other purposes. The mutation that deprives zebra fish of their stripes blocks the creation of a protein whose job is to move charged atoms across cell membranes, an obscure process that is crucial to the accumulation of melanin inside cells.

A few genes have previously been associated with human pigment disorders -- most notably those that, when mutated, lead to albinism, an extreme form of pigment loss. But the newly found glitch is the first found to play a role in the formation of "normal" white skin. The Penn State team calculates that the gene, known as slc24a5, is responsible for about one-third of the pigment loss that made black skin white. A few other as-yet-unidentified mutated genes apparently account for the rest.

[Keith Cheng] and co-worker Victor A. Canfield said their discovery could have practical spinoffs. A gene so crucial to the buildup of melanin in the skin might be a good target for new drugs against melanoma, for example, a cancer of melanin cells in which slc24a5 works overtime.




I wish I could have found the article in it's entirety but it was difficult enough to find this. So I hope it's eye opening. As for my opinion. I'm still figuring what my opinion on the issue is. I mean I like Asian guys amongst other groups, but I just don't know.

User avatar
Ebony_Hime
Posts: 26
Joined: Nov 30th, '05, 23:30
Location: US

Heres the other article

Post by Ebony_Hime » Jun 28th, '06, 22:07

Scientists Find A DNA Change That Accounts For White Skin

By Rick Weiss
Washington Post Staff Writer
Friday, December 16, 2005; Page A01

Scientists said yesterday that they have discovered a tiny genetic mutation that largely explains the first appearance of white skin in humans tens of thousands of years ago, a finding that helps solve one of biology's most enduring mysteries and illuminates one of humanity's greatest sources of strife.

The work suggests that the skin-whitening mutation occurred by chance in a single individual after the first human exodus from Africa, when all people were brown-skinned. That person's offspring apparently thrived as humans moved northward into what is now Europe, helping to give rise to the lightest of the world's races.
Leaders of the study, at Penn State University, warned against interpreting the finding as a discovery of "the race gene." Race is a vaguely defined biological, social and political concept, they noted, and skin color is only part of what race is -- and is not.

In fact, several scientists said, the new work shows just how small a biological difference is reflected by skin color. The newly found mutation involves a change of just one letter of DNA code out of the 3.1 billion letters in the human genome -- the complete instructions for making a human being.

"It's a major finding in a very sensitive area," said Stephen Oppenheimer, an expert in anthropological genetics at Oxford University, who was not involved in the work. "Almost all the differences used to differentiate populations from around the world really are skin deep."

The work raises a raft of new questions -- not least of which is why white skin caught on so thoroughly in northern climes once it arose. Some scientists suggest that lighter skin offered a strong survival advantage for people who migrated out of Africa by boosting their levels of bone-strengthening vitamin D; others have posited that its novelty and showiness simply made it more attractive to those seeking mates.

The work also reveals for the first time that Asians owe their relatively light skin to different mutations. That means that light skin arose independently at least twice in human evolution, in each case affecting populations with the facial and other traits that today are commonly regarded as the hallmarks of Caucasian and Asian races.

Several sociologists and others said they feared that such revelations might wrongly overshadow the prevailing finding of genetics over the past 10 years: that the number of DNA differences between races is tiny compared with the range of genetic diversity found within any single racial group.

Even study leader Keith Cheng said he was at first uncomfortable talking about the new work, fearing that the finding of such a clear genetic difference between people of African and European ancestries might reawaken discredited assertions of other purported inborn differences between races -- the most long-standing and inflammatory of those being intelligence.

"I think human beings are extremely insecure and look to visual cues of sameness to feel better, and people will do bad things to people who look different," Cheng said.

The discovery, described in today's issue of the journal Science, was an unexpected outgrowth of studies Cheng and his colleagues were conducting on inch-long zebra fish, which are popular research tools for geneticists and developmental biologists. Having identified a gene that, when mutated, interferes with its ability to make its characteristic black stripes, the team scanned human DNA databases to see if a similar gene resides in people.

To their surprise, they found virtually identical pigment-building genes in humans, chickens, dogs, cows and many others species, an indication of its biological value.


They got a bigger surprise when they looked in a new database comparing the genomes of four of the world's major racial groups. That showed that whites with northern and western European ancestry have a mutated version of the gene.

Skin color is a reflection of the amount and distribution of the pigment melanin, which in humans protects against damaging ultraviolet rays but in other species is also used for camouflage or other purposes. The mutation that deprives zebra fish of their stripes blocks the creation of a protein whose job is to move charged atoms across cell membranes, an obscure process that is crucial to the accumulation of melanin inside cells.
Humans of European descent, Cheng's team found, bear a slightly different mutation that hobbles the same protein with similar effect. The defect does not affect melanin deposition in other parts of the body, including the hair and eyes, whose tints are under the control of other genes.

A few genes have previously been associated with human pigment disorders -- most notably those that, when mutated, lead to albinism, an extreme form of pigment loss. But the newly found glitch is the first found to play a role in the formation of "normal" white skin. The Penn State team calculates that the gene, known as slc24a5, is responsible for about one-third of the pigment loss that made black skin white. A few other as-yet-unidentified mutated genes apparently account for the rest.

Although precise dating is impossible, several scientists speculated on the basis of its spread and variation that the mutation arose between 20,000 and 50,000 years ago. That would be consistent with research showing that a wave of ancestral humans migrated northward and eastward out of Africa about 50,000 years ago.

Unlike most mutations, this one quickly overwhelmed its ancestral version, at least in Europe, suggesting it had a real benefit. Many scientists suspect that benefit has to do with vitamin D, made in the body with the help of sunlight and critical to proper bone development.

Sun intensity is great enough in equatorial regions that the vitamin can still be made in dark-skinned people despite the ultraviolet shielding effects of melanin. In the north, where sunlight is less intense and cold weather demands that more clothing be worn, melanin's ultraviolet shielding became a liability, the thinking goes.

Today that solar requirement is largely irrelevant because many foods are supplemented with vitamin D.

Some scientists said they suspect that white skin's rapid rise to genetic dominance may also be the product of "sexual selection," a phenomenon of evolutionary biology in which almost any new and showy trait in a healthy individual can become highly prized by those seeking mates, perhaps because it provides evidence of genetic innovativeness.

Cheng and co-worker Victor A. Canfield said their discovery could have practical spinoffs. A gene so crucial to the buildup of melanin in the skin might be a good target for new drugs against melanoma, for example, a cancer of melanin cells in which slc24a5 works overtime.

But they and others agreed that, for better or worse, the finding's most immediate impact may be an escalating debate about the meaning of race.

Recent revelations that all people are more than 99.9 percent genetically identical has proved that race has almost no biological validity. Yet geneticists' claims that race is a phony construct have not rung true to many nonscientists -- and understandably so, said Vivian Ota Wang of the National Human Genome Research Institute in Bethesda.

"You may tell people that race isn't real and doesn't matter, but they can't catch a cab," Ota Wang said. "So unless we take that into account it makes us sound crazy."

User avatar
cgozun
Posts: 87
Joined: Jul 15th, '05, 18:24
Location: Garden State

Post by cgozun » Jun 29th, '06, 00:13

Mythrel wrote:I also have a problem with this whole cultures clash arguement too. Are there not Asians who are Christians? Are there not Caucasians who are Buddhist? Each race has a wide varitey of cultures within their own race and they won't always clash. Cultures can clash within their own race. If two people can love one another and overlook the little things then more power to them. If you are not willing to comprimise even a little for a relationship then don't ever get in one.
I'm not as idealistic. I don't believe love conquers all. But if the world was as tolerant as the people here, the world would be a better place.

Kakihara
Posts: 43
Joined: Jul 2nd, '06, 04:56
Location: Akihabara

Post by Kakihara » Jul 3rd, '06, 22:19

It's cool! I've only had Japanese girlfriends and finally got married with a girl from Kobe. Our oldest daughter looks a lot like a cross between Anne Suzuki and an anime character (big eyes and long eye lashes). We named our youngest daughter after a Japanese actress, but it's too early to tell if she's going to look like her.

nikochanr3
Posts: 608
Joined: Apr 22nd, '05, 02:48
Location: NY

Post by nikochanr3 » Jul 3rd, '06, 22:34

cgozun wrote:
Mythrel wrote:I also have a problem with this whole cultures clash arguement too. Are there not Asians who are Christians? Are there not Caucasians who are Buddhist? Each race has a wide varitey of cultures within their own race and they won't always clash. Cultures can clash within their own race. If two people can love one another and overlook the little things then more power to them. If you are not willing to comprimise even a little for a relationship then don't ever get in one.
I'm not as idealistic. I don't believe love conquers all. But if the world was as tolerant as the people here, the world would be a better place.
i find my own intolerance for intolerance helps me greatly. When i was younger, i got a lot of stares cause my girlfriend was chinese. Its funny (living in NY) to even think of that now. Never settle for anything less than what you want cause of ignorant people. We have a couple of intolerant people where i am now (arabs of all people - how can you be a minority intolerant of other minorities) who decided to say something one day, and it was dealt with. :cussing: (ANGRY NIKO)

those of us who are nice, and are intolerant, have to make sure the world is made in our image....somehow...
Please visit my homepage! :w00t: [url=http://nikochanr3.blogspot.com/[/url]

AIM me at Nikochanr3 if you like. I''''m bored.

User avatar
cgozun
Posts: 87
Joined: Jul 15th, '05, 18:24
Location: Garden State

Post by cgozun » Jul 4th, '06, 02:38

nikochanr3 wrote:i find my own intolerance for intolerance helps me greatly. When i was younger, i got a lot of stares cause my girlfriend was chinese. Its funny (living in NY) to even think of that now. Never settle for anything less than what you want cause of ignorant people. We have a couple of intolerant people where i am now (arabs of all people - how can you be a minority intolerant of other minorities) who decided to say something one day, and it was dealt with. :cussing: (ANGRY NIKO)

those of us who are nice, and are intolerant, have to make sure the world is made in our image....somehow...
Philosopher John Rawls addressed this issue you're getting at. To save society from utter chaos, one can not be utterly tolerant. God forbid we rid ourselves of morals and values in the name of tolerance. However, I don't think you are intolerant, at least towards intolerant people, if you refuse to compromise your integrity for that sake. You can tolerate people and still oppose what they stand for. In essence, you condemn the sin, not the sinner.

kotaeshiranaihito
Posts: 234
Joined: Dec 23rd, '05, 19:55
Location: New York

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Jul 4th, '06, 04:31

I think the problem with tolerance is that people are too lazy to look in the dictionary and find out what it means. To tolerate something is to "put up with it", you don't necessarily have to like it.

People these days believe that tolerance is synonymous with acceptance, so if you don't accept something and love it, then you are obviously intolerant. That first off is a version of McCarthyism, and second off is complete nonsense. We are humans, we will not always agree with other humans choices or ways of life; this is how it has always been, that is how it will always be, it's called life. But as long as the person isn't trying to ruin another person's life because they don't agree with how they choose to live it, that enough means that they are tolerant.

For example, the whole gay marriage thing going on now. Many, many people don't believe in it. They don't believe it's right, and they think it's disgusting, but the fact is the majority of these people just stay silent and let gay people do what they want. If asked their opinion, they will simply say "I don't like it". That is what tolerance is all about. Whether you like it or not, you put up with it. An example of acceptance would be "I think gay people deserve to get married and be treated exactly the same as straight people". If you are able to reach that level, then good for you, give yourself a round of applause, or a pat on the back, but please do not belittle those who aren't accepting. As long as they are tolerant of the situation, that should be more than enough.

User avatar
lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1830
Joined: Oct 19th, '04, 02:22
Location: NYC
Contact:

Post by lilswtangel » Jul 4th, '06, 04:48

aNToK wrote:I think interracial dating often produces very gorgeous kids.
and I know you can vouch for that aNToK :thumleft: :whistling: :lol
If I remember correctly, your lovely Miss is of Japanese descent right? :-)

[edit]
whoops....................I didnt' realize that this thread was 18 pages long. guess i'm going to have to start from the beginning. :-)
my blog[/size]

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1445
Joined: Feb 21st, '04, 08:34
Location: East Bay
Contact:

Post by aNToK » Jul 4th, '06, 05:06

Actually, kota, at least in the United States, there's a large current of intolerance towards gay marriage. You point out that "many, many" people think that it's "disgusting" and "let gay people do what they want". Um, not really at all. There are also "many, many" people (who aren't gay) who support gays having the right to marry and live their lives as they see fit. It's really amusing to me how people say that gay marriages will weaken or demean the sanctity of marriage, etc. If what someone else is doing is somehow going to weaken your marriage, then your marriage needs some work, not theirs. I am an American, and I am a Christian as well. Considering that the state of marriage in a legal sense has exactly 0% to do with anything religious, the idea that two consenting adults cannot have their relationship legally binding with all the protections and advantages that a "normal" married couple have is prejudicial and intolerant at best, and of questionable constitutionality at worst.
The "religious right" has by and large been the driving force behind keeping gay marriage (and attempting to do the same with abortion, different case, same story). Though the vast majority of people in this country are straight and may find the idea of same-sex couples repugnant, many do support the push for gay marriage.

And a huge part of that personal freedom thing here in America is letting people have the freedom to "do what they want". The push against gay marriage is largely of a religious nature, which conflicts with the separation of Church and State, and is in a major way the wants of the many to inhibit the freedoms of the few. Two guys kissing each other, holding hands in public, etc. is not hurting you a damn bit. Fact is that you don't like it and don't want to have to see it, so you (you being those opposed, not necessarily kota) want to trample and belittle them.

And for that, I'll happily piss on their cornflakes and belittle them.
I am not obsessed. I am just very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very focussed...

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1445
Joined: Feb 21st, '04, 08:34
Location: East Bay
Contact:

Post by aNToK » Jul 4th, '06, 05:10

Heh close lilswtangel, she was born and bred in China!

Almost a shame though, I know more Japanese than I do Mandarin, even after 11 years..... :roll


Weird how I haven't visited this thread in forever, and was in the middle of writing a post when my name came up. Twilight zone time!!!!
I am not obsessed. I am just very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very focussed...

User avatar
lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1830
Joined: Oct 19th, '04, 02:22
Location: NYC
Contact:

Post by lilswtangel » Jul 4th, '06, 05:26

aNToK wrote:Heh close lilswtangel, she was born and bred in China!
then she can help with subbing the China/Taiwanese dramas~ :roll :lol
aNToK wrote:Almost a shame though, I know more Japanese than I do Mandarin, even after 11 years..... :roll
Really? I'm sure you're able to count from 1- 10 in Mandarin, though...right? and what about your children? are they able to speak Chinese? :)

It's funny really. My niece & nephew (of Chinese & Germand ethnicities) were able to speak and understand Chinese when my mom took care of them when they were younger. Now they can only say "grandma" and "grandpa", "uncle" & "auntie" and some of the other basic words.
my blog[/size]

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1445
Joined: Feb 21st, '04, 08:34
Location: East Bay
Contact:

Post by aNToK » Jul 4th, '06, 07:06

Our son's my translator for mom-in-law, who lives with us!

Sadly, she's not into dramas at all, so no translating help... :(
I am not obsessed. I am just very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very focussed...

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1445
Joined: Feb 21st, '04, 08:34
Location: East Bay
Contact:

Post by aNToK » Jul 4th, '06, 09:42

ee, ar, san, se, oo, leo, chi, ba, jo, shur

(about as close as I can spell (or pronounce in Mandarin...)
I am not obsessed. I am just very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very focussed...

User avatar
Néa Vanille
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 778
Joined: Mar 26th, '05, 08:35
Location: Seoul, South Korea (whooooza!)

Post by Néa Vanille » Jul 4th, '06, 17:42

aNToK,

Just out of mere curiousity: what does your son look like? More Chinese or more white or like a perfect blend? :lol

nikochanr3
Posts: 608
Joined: Apr 22nd, '05, 02:48
Location: NY

Post by nikochanr3 » Jul 4th, '06, 17:53

cgozun wrote:
nikochanr3 wrote:i find my own intolerance for intolerance helps me greatly. When i was younger, i got a lot of stares cause my girlfriend was chinese. Its funny (living in NY) to even think of that now. Never settle for anything less than what you want cause of ignorant people. We have a couple of intolerant people where i am now (arabs of all people - how can you be a minority intolerant of other minorities) who decided to say something one day, and it was dealt with. :cussing: (ANGRY NIKO)

those of us who are nice, and are intolerant, have to make sure the world is made in our image....somehow...
Philosopher John Rawls addressed this issue you're getting at. To save society from utter chaos, one can not be utterly tolerant. God forbid we rid ourselves of morals and values in the name of tolerance. However, I don't think you are intolerant, at least towards intolerant people, if you refuse to compromise your integrity for that sake. You can tolerate people and still oppose what they stand for. In essence, you condemn the sin, not the sinner.
i see on problem with tolerating all races and interracila mixture, in general. im not saying tolerate every individual.
Please visit my homepage! :w00t: [url=http://nikochanr3.blogspot.com/[/url]

AIM me at Nikochanr3 if you like. I''''m bored.

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 1445
Joined: Feb 21st, '04, 08:34
Location: East Bay
Contact:

Post by aNToK » Jul 4th, '06, 19:11

Néa Vanille wrote:aNToK,

Just out of mere curiousity: what does your son look like? More Chinese or more white or like a perfect blend? :lol
He's gone through stages. At birth he looked white, at two he looked more Chinese. Now at almost 10, he's more blended. Built solid like me, slightly wavy dark brown hair, long curly eyelashes, and his eyes are in-between. Looks kind of like a younger version of Dean Cain (also half Chinese) from the old Lois and Clark tv series.

He's definitely better looking than me!
I am not obsessed. I am just very, very, very, very, very, very, very, very focussed...

kotaeshiranaihito
Posts: 234
Joined: Dec 23rd, '05, 19:55
Location: New York

Post by kotaeshiranaihito » Jul 5th, '06, 00:54

Um actually antok, my post was simply explaining the difference between "tolerance" and "acceptance". I used gay marriage as an example since it is a very big issue now.

I don't want to get into a long drawn out discussion about this so I'll summarize

1) intolerance - being against gay marriage actively, trying your hardest to stop it, are very outspoken about it, and demean it when you can.

2) tolerant - whatever your opinion about gay marriage may be, you put up with it. If you are against it, you put up with with it, if you are for it you put up with it (although if you are for it, it is much easier heh).

3) acceptance - you accept gay marriage and try your best (or try a little) to help them.

Yes people who are accepting are tolerant, but that does not mean that people who are not accepting are intolerant.

You tolerate a crying child on an airplane, you tolerate a bad cold, you tolerate some drunk bum yelling nonsense on a train, you tolerate people on a message board who's opinions you don't agree with, it doesn't mean that you have to be happy with any of these things. That is the true meaning of tolerance, no matter how you personally feel about something, you let it be.

User avatar
lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1830
Joined: Oct 19th, '04, 02:22
Location: NYC
Contact:

Post by lilswtangel » Jul 5th, '06, 01:03

aNToK wrote:
Néa Vanille wrote:aNToK,

Just out of mere curiousity: what does your son look like? More Chinese or more white or like a perfect blend? :lol
He's gone through stages. At birth he looked white, at two he looked more Chinese. Now at almost 10, he's more blended. Built solid like me, slightly wavy dark brown hair, long curly eyelashes, and his eyes are in-between. Looks kind of like a younger version of Dean Cain (also half Chinese) from the old Lois and Clark tv series.

He's definitely better looking than me!
Dean Cain was a mixed? that's something I didn't know~ and i applaud you on the counting. :D

as for your son, i'm sure he's a beautiful and intelligent boy.....you and your wife did right! :-) I'm surprised he's the one who translates for both you and your mother-in-law. what a good darling! I just hope he doesn't lose his understanding of Chinese in his older years.

[edit]
I just did a search on Dean Cain and found out he his real name was "Dean George Tanaka"....wow~ I still remember the Lois & Clar years on ABC...Teri Thatcher was hot then! :roll
my blog[/size]

User avatar
cgozun
Posts: 87
Joined: Jul 15th, '05, 18:24
Location: Garden State

Post by cgozun » Jul 5th, '06, 01:31

nikochanr3 wrote:
cgozun wrote:
nikochanr3 wrote:i find my own intolerance for intolerance helps me greatly. When i was younger, i got a lot of stares cause my girlfriend was chinese. Its funny (living in NY) to even think of that now. Never settle for anything less than what you want cause of ignorant people. We have a couple of intolerant people where i am now (arabs of all people - how can you be a minority intolerant of other minorities) who decided to say something one day, and it was dealt with. :cussing: (ANGRY NIKO)

those of us who are nice, and are intolerant, have to make sure the world is made in our image....somehow...
Philosopher John Rawls addressed this issue you're getting at. To save society from utter chaos, one can not be utterly tolerant. God forbid we rid ourselves of morals and values in the name of tolerance. However, I don't think you are intolerant, at least towards intolerant people, if you refuse to compromise your integrity for that sake. You can tolerate people and still oppose what they stand for. In essence, you condemn the sin, not the sinner.
i see on problem with tolerating all races and interracila mixture, in general. im not saying tolerate every individual.
I know what you meant. I actually liked what you said about not tolerating intolerance. There is truth to what you said and just wanted to expand on as I added for other people that not tolerating intolerance to me is not really being intolerant in this sense because you don't want to give up all social integrity for the sake of being tolerant.

User avatar
bajinay
Posts: 4
Joined: Jul 5th, '06, 16:06
Location: Los Angeles

Post by bajinay » Jul 5th, '06, 17:37

hmm i just started reading this thread and found it pretty interesting.

i'm half west indian (black/Barbados) and half filipino. i lived in japan until i was 7 then moved to hawaii and moved to cali when i was 13. my parents divorced when i was 7 (part of why i moved) and my dad remarried. my parents didn't divorce because of any sort of culture clash or racial tensions though. my step mom is half chinese and half hawaiian though culturally she is pretty much hawaiian.

being bi-racial i have found it difficult to be accepeted. for instance my filipino family can be extremely racists which sometimes make me angry because a lot of them have darker skin than even i do. and my west indian family just pretends that i am not mixed and ignore it entirely, not accepting it but just pretending it doesn't exist. yet, i still have some aunts who when i visit go out of their way to prepare white rice just for me O.o

Because i live here in the US it becomes even more difficult because African Americans can't seem to stand me much either. i hate it when asian ppl around me make derogatory comments about black ppl and then when i react say "it's okay you're half pinay." or when black ppl say derogatory things about asians and filipinos and when i react respond with little more than basically "shut up you're half black so you're black."

But at the same time, it doesn't seem to matter where I live or where I go, I can always find a place to be accepeted. My own circle of friends consists of 2 mexicans, 2 koreans, 1 cambodian, 1 white (american), 2 filipino, and then there's me and another half-black half-puerto rican chick. we all get along really well and respect each other's cultural differences. most of them interacially date and the ones that haven't don't do it because they have a no interacial dating policy, they just haven't found someone they wanted to date who was of a different race.

my point is basically that being bi-racial yeah has its harships. but because my existence makes it a little difficult for me to get along does not justify the fact that i shouldn't exist. i truly believe that what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger. the truth is i've had a lot of identity issues with my nationality, my culture, my "race." i hate it when ppl ask me "what exactly are you?" it does tend to drive me insane. i once walked into this store and at the counter there was a black woman, a filiipino woman, and a korean woman. they were watching me the whole time i was in the store and whispering. i felt really uncomfortable. when i got to the counter to pay for my stuff, they asked the magic question "what are you??" and as usual i played dumb. "what do you mean?" "you know, where are you from?" "well...most recently california..." "yeah, but you know what's you race, your people?" i wanted to die right about there. i wanted to say something smart but they were older and not wanting to be too disrespectful i finally gave up and answered the question but the big blow was ---> the black lady and the korean lady pull out their purses, reach in an pull out twenty bucks each which they hand to the snickering filipino lady who sticks her tongue out, shakes her head and laughs saying, "seeee, i win, i told she was one of mine. i know my people. ha ha ha." i was so upset i left everything on the counter and walked out the store. i know these were just meddling middle aged women who had nothing better to do, but still, that wasn't very nice V_V

so yeah, there are difficulties but you know "home" is what you make it. you can either think "where do i fit in the global world today?" or you can think "where do i fit in my life and in My world?" i choose to think the latter. and one last thing, i don't regret who i am. i would rather be what i am today than only west indian or only filipino. the up side of being biracial, is that i get to experience both the west indian world, and the filipino world. and i can easily connect to a greater degree of people because there is less racial tension, letting them see the best of both of my worlds too.

one thing i was wondering while reading this thread is, if you are against interracial relationships (regardless of whether you're a racist or not) then what do you believe about who the multicultural people in the world today should date? only other multicultural people? and should they have the same multicultural background to keep their blood pure?? and what if you're sooo mixed up you can't find someone like you? should you cease dating and live a lonely life for the sake of some false idea of racial purity? i don't understand why people need to put labels on things. i mean, i believe that your culture whether from race or simply nationality is part of who you are and in a sense, part of your public identity, but i don't think that it is part of your personal identity. when you're dating, you don't use your public identity, i mean this isn't politics, you use your personal identity. your personal identity is something you can't put a label on. (this idea is from the works of jamaica kincaid).

...

User avatar
Mythrel
Posts: 463
Joined: Aug 11th, '05, 02:34
Location: Burnaby, British Columbia

Post by Mythrel » Jul 6th, '06, 05:10

Hey bajinay, that was beautifully put. I appreciate you taking the time to write that post it was an interesting read. That sucks that your family on both sides don't seem to fully understand how to treat you. I don't see why they can't just see you as you and not pretend the other side doesn't exist or that you are that other side. Your blood is their blood and their blood is your blood. It sucks that even other people from each side try to play you as your own and pop their mouth out sounding ignorant. This world is no longer black and white and I am actually a mix even though I look white I am Scottish/French-Native American and here in Canada expecially out here in the west coast native americans get a bad wrap and I hear a lot of comments that I have to speak up on. People need to really think about what they say before they open their mouths sometimes. All races and countries have issues, but every person is unique in their own way and its how you look at them and open your mind. I think its good you are proud of what and who you are and you should be. No one should be able to tell you what you are or should be no matter what you are.
i don't understand why people need to put labels on things. i mean, i believe that your culture whether from race or simply nationality is part of who you are and in a sense, part of your public identity, but i don't think that it is part of your personal identity. when you're dating, you don't use your public identity, i mean this isn't politics, you use your personal identity. your personal identity is something you can't put a label on. (this idea is from the works of jamaica kincaid).
I agree entirely its what I argued on here before. Each person is an individual (obviously) and are going to vary from one to the next so I don't see why colour or where they were raised should come before the person themself. I never got the arguement to begin with lol.[/quote]
Im making you aware. That if you dont like me well I dont care. Ill be exactly who I am and if you got a problem with it. Well thats your problem, man.

User avatar
chsaf
Posts: 57
Joined: Jul 4th, '06, 13:27
Location: Malaysia

Post by chsaf » Jul 8th, '06, 16:25

i dunno, to me everybody's the same, no matter what colour, maybe coz i'm from a mixed parentage too. ok well i'm not a pan-asian mixed-kid, but i still went thru the same problem all the same...when i was younger other kids (who had normal eyes/double-eyelids) used to tease me for having small eyes (almond shape with no eyelids whatsoever) and i hated it. i hated my eyes, and i hated myself. but now i love it. it's funny when other people ask what race are u, and they wouldn't believe u anyway, so what's the point of asking, ya? and u just wanna say "i'm a human being, just like u" d~uh.

some people can be so insensitive, and my mom's family are some of the most racist people i've ever met....they are always saying bad stuff about people from other race (especially indians, blacks etc-i am not trying to offend anybody) and it gets embarrassing when they do that in public. why would anybody want to diss someone who's of a different colour?

i think it's great to be different, and not only that, u will inherit good genes, coz children from mixed parentage look exotic, are smart (well some are) and are more tolerant towards sensitive issues like this. wouldn't the world be a boring place if everybody stayed within their own community and race?so interracial dating? go for it!

User avatar
yumiko_ai
Posts: 12
Joined: Jul 9th, '06, 08:27

Post by yumiko_ai » Jul 11th, '06, 07:15

I agree with what everone's saying, but I also think that everones equal, mixed kids and so called "pure-breed" people are all the same, no one is better than the other.~ :lol

We're all beautiful because of whats in the heart!~ >=3
Image

今も愛してい. ずっと, 愛... - 由美子 (Yumiko)

mimmi
Posts: 573
Joined: Mar 19th, '05, 22:03
Location: wisconsin

Post by mimmi » Jul 11th, '06, 18:08

@ bajinay....sorry for the way your own relations makes you feel....but about the bet thing with the woman in the store, is quite funny....happen to me at times, so I just laughed it off....the first time, I actually walked up the the guys and said, "ok, nobody wins.... how much are you guys are betting on....is that all I'm worth....ok give me the money and I'll go eat at the resturant across the street and if you guys want to come along, then you can come"....to make it short, they got my friend's phone number, I wouldn't give them mine, they still can't figure out where I'm from, I made my friend swear not to tell them during the lunch, but we all had interesting conversations during the meal and everybody are happy.... we helped pay for fthe lunch though....at the end, they said "we still don't know where your from".....I said, but we all had lunch together, and you see the way those guys kept on looking at our table, two even shook hands with you guys and compliments how pretty your girls are, and you guys got my friend's #....and laughing all the time while I was talking....and they all agreed and laughing too....

nikochanr3
Posts: 608
Joined: Apr 22nd, '05, 02:48
Location: NY

Post by nikochanr3 » Jul 11th, '06, 18:14

funny story, i was in england and there was this black guy and asian girl couple, and they were both HUGE (like 6-7 inches taller than me (im 5-5) and both really mega good looking, and athletic and i remember thinking, wow - they would have these kick ass looking atheltic kids, etc. not realizing i was staring.

:whistling:

10 seconds later girl is running at me and yelling while guy is restraining her, and she's yelling at me WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM, AM I NOT ALLOWED TO DATE A BLACK GUY? :scratch: Lol, not at all, but you can tell what crap people get that their first thought would be that. And there were two really nice looking people, but it doesnt matter i guess.

(note to self: i always have problems while im in london, something about my body languages screams GET THIS GUY to londoners...)
Please visit my homepage! :w00t: [url=http://nikochanr3.blogspot.com/[/url]

AIM me at Nikochanr3 if you like. I''''m bored.

left_rightpoint
Posts: 9
Joined: Jul 11th, '06, 09:25
Location: in my own mind

Post by left_rightpoint » Jul 11th, '06, 20:35

Whatever floats your boat. It's all relative when it comes to dating a different race. Why care what people think its just their opinon. People around you will always judge you even if its okay or not okay to date someone other than your race. More power to you if do date other enthincity.

Now if you are the people out there that do interracial dating just so you can prove a point or you want some exotic poon then you're an azz.

the_spin0ff
Posts: 20
Joined: Jun 14th, '06, 05:38
Location: California

Post by the_spin0ff » Jul 14th, '06, 01:43

Since I'm filipino and italian, I don't see any problems with interracial dating. In the end, you love a person for who they are, not because of their skin color.

User avatar
floatingice
Posts: 2
Joined: Dec 16th, '05, 05:12

Post by floatingice » Jul 15th, '06, 19:45

WOW I totally understand what everyone is saying about being mixed.

See I am also really mixed - my mom is half chinese half ukrainian, and my dad is half ukrainian half scottish...

Its weird - I feel like I never fit in completely but I can always fit in a little bit ~ you know?
I don't speak ukrainian or chinese... I speak french, english and japanese.

Ppl can never figure out where I'm from ~ except a girl on my kendo team when I was a student... she figured out i was mixed cause her bf was. When I was in Japan and playing on a soccer team - my teammates all thought I was from brazil. My japanese teacher told me I didn't look Canadian, and my coworkers all thought I was half japanese...

Now that I moved to California people will start to think I'm mexican?

U__U

Kinda sucks, but sometimes it can be nice, eh?

With respect to who you date... I don't know. I've dated mixed girls before... and I guess it all depends on the person rather than the culture. Am I wrong?

User avatar
Wolfsmond
Posts: 11
Joined: Sep 8th, '05, 16:21
Location: Germany

Post by Wolfsmond » Jul 15th, '06, 23:03

floatingice wrote:With respect to who you date... I don't know. I've dated mixed girls before... and I guess it all depends on the person rather than the culture. Am I wrong?
Culture is not carried by blood, but by tradition and its rites.

PS: I love Ukraine :D
“Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.” - Norman Cousins

User avatar
Harthorn
Posts: 4
Joined: Jul 24th, '06, 12:43
Location: Brisbane, Australia

Post by Harthorn » Jul 24th, '06, 13:22

My attitude on this subject is do whatever the hell you want, my life already has enough problems that need to be solved and expressing my personal opinions on someone else's relationship is a waste of my energy when I can be doing productive things lol.

On a side note, I do not like black people as a relationship partner and I would never see myself in a situation like that, just not my taste. Prefer white or Japanese, Korean or maybe Taiwanese/Chinese/Hong Kong.

Edit: Btw there are a few exceptions, there is always a really really hot or cute black girl or woman that you'd feel hey, thats not too bad. But on a general scale, I would not touch or even think about it. :P

bigfrog
Posts: 19
Joined: Jul 13th, '06, 07:00
Location: Pennsylvania
Contact:

Post by bigfrog » Jul 27th, '06, 01:24

I'm half apache and half white....If I date a white girl I'm interracial dating....If by some God given stroke of luck I find an apache girl to date....I'm still dating interracially.

Tyrane
Posts: 23
Joined: Jul 29th, '06, 15:24
Location: Australia

Post by Tyrane » Jul 30th, '06, 05:02

I don't think race does matter, but my preference would be to white girls.

makaroni
Posts: 17
Joined: Jun 26th, '06, 04:05

Post by makaroni » Jul 30th, '06, 05:09

are you referring to asians with different asians or asians with white people? i wouldn't mind either way, but my family seems to have a negative view with asians and black or indian? i guess some Chinese families still have that traditional racist feeling. i don't mind dating a korean guy or white guy. those are pretty much what i can take and who i see as attractive. That way, my baby will know how to speak Chinese and Korean. Wouldn't that be great? A multi-lingual child...definitely help the kid find a job in the future.

chamcham
Posts: 48
Joined: May 10th, '05, 04:03

Post by chamcham » Jul 30th, '06, 05:27

I think I might have a somewhat unique view on this topic.
I've never liked the idea of race. I think it's now an overextension
of the racist ideas that helped lead to things like slavery and segregration.
To me, it feels old and I hope this kind of thinking fades away in the future
in America.

For me, I believe that nationality is a much better way to categorize people.

Unless you are nomadic, I believe that the only country you call your own
is the one that you were born and raised in.

I'm definitely not a fan of the hyphen. So for example, terms like Asian-American, Hispanic-American, and African-American don't exist. You can only be "American". Also, no matter how hard you try, you can never be a person of your family's native country unless you were born and raised there.

So for example, I believe that so-called "Japanese" born in American can never be Japanese. You have to be born and raised in Japan to be Japanese. This seems consistent with the "Nikkei Jin" idea. At best, you are only a watered-down American imitation.

So back to the interracial dating question. My answer is that if a "Japanese-American" and "Indian-American" were to date, I don't see it as interracial. The Japanese-American person isn't Japanese(unless they were born and raised in Japan). The Indian-American isn't Indian(unless they were born and raised in India). To me, they are both American
and so they are the same.

pologirl11
Posts: 1
Joined: Jul 16th, '06, 08:36
Location: SoCal

Post by pologirl11 » Jul 30th, '06, 06:55

I always think that different peoples opinions on race and interracial dating are interesting. I'm Black and when I was little my mom made a big deal about how I should like black guys so as a result of ghat I tend to be less attracted to black guys and more attracted to other races. Both of my parents are black but I'm lighter skinned with "white" features so people tend to assume that I'm mixed strangely enough i have found that it puts a lot of black people off and they are less accepting of me and inversely white people tend to be more comfortable around me which is ridiculous. White people will ask me straightforwardly if I'm mixed or if one of my parents is white, when I said that I was not mixed one woman actually told me that she meant it as a compliment. Whatever. In high school i pretty much hung out with the Asian crowd because we fit well together. I'm sort of just rambling but a lot of people's conception of race is stupid, for me I have a problem with the fact that people look at me assume an incorrect fact and make a bunch of judgments from that. For me when I'm attracted to someone I try not to think about race you shouldn't think of he's this or that he would be cute but I don't ( fill in the ethnicity).

User avatar
asianblondgirl
Posts: 132
Joined: Jul 26th, '06, 18:11
Location: Moving around

Post by asianblondgirl » Jul 31st, '06, 22:34

well i donno if i count since my moms German and my dads Japanese, so that should tell you'all what i think about it.
Butin truth, i dont find it wrong, all i know is that you should never forget your roots.

Me I perfer Asian guys, like umm saddly ive never had an asian bf.....since ive grown in in latin America and their arent many around.

All my bf have ether been latin or american.

But when i get married, i want to marry a asian man so i can carry on our blood, i want my children to be asian, and grow up as i have.
I just feel like its my duty to keep it in our family, though theirs still me, my sister, and my little brother, and me and my sister LOVE asian guys, and my lil brother...is already hitting on the little chinese girls at the store down the streat...LOL

User avatar
shiny plastic
Posts: 93
Joined: Mar 19th, '06, 03:39
Location: Chicago, Illinois

Post by shiny plastic » Aug 2nd, '06, 15:17

To me, I think Interracial dating is very much acceptable. Although I'd more likely marry someone of my race so I can carry on the filipino blood.

I read somewhere that in a few decades, America will have a "brown" mix of cultures blended into one because of all the interracial dating. (well not dating, you know what I mean)

Sin 31
Posts: 30
Joined: Jan 10th, '06, 11:17
Location: France

Post by Sin 31 » Aug 2nd, '06, 15:44

shiny plastic wrote: I read somewhere that in a few decades, America will have a "brown" mix of cultures blended into one because of all the interracial dating.
In one or two centuries, there won't be any japanese people left on the planet. :shocked:

User avatar
Engelchen18
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 424
Joined: Dec 27th, '05, 13:02
Location: Germany

Post by Engelchen18 » Aug 2nd, '06, 16:02

Hm I think it's great ^__^

Korean-German
Japanese-German
Chinese-German
Vietnamese-German

.......

^o^
Image
SunRise: Deutsche Subs SunRise Wikipage

User avatar
asianblondgirl
Posts: 132
Joined: Jul 26th, '06, 18:11
Location: Moving around

Post by asianblondgirl » Aug 2nd, '06, 23:08

wow if your german your special LOL
My sister inlaw is Panamanian (central America) and she's never been to the US and is moving their next month, i keep trying to convince her that she wont stand out, since America you can look like anything and ppl with still think your american, she cant emagine a place like that, but she'll soon see.

Showtime
Posts: 8
Joined: Aug 2nd, '06, 23:18

Post by Showtime » Aug 2nd, '06, 23:34

chamcham wrote:
For me, I believe that nationality is a much better way to categorize people.

Unless you are nomadic, I believe that the only country you call your own
is the one that you were born and raised in.

I'm definitely not a fan of the hyphen. So for example, terms like Asian-American, Hispanic-American, and African-American don't exist. You can only be "American". Also, no matter how hard you try, you can never be a person of your family's native country unless you were born and raised there.

So for example, I believe that so-called "Japanese" born in American can never be Japanese. You have to be born and raised in Japan to be Japanese. This seems consistent with the "Nikkei Jin" idea. At best, you are only a watered-down American imitation.

So back to the interracial dating question. My answer is that if a "Japanese-American" and "Indian-American" were to date, I don't see it as interracial. The Japanese-American person isn't Japanese(unless they were born and raised in Japan). The Indian-American isn't Indian(unless they were born and raised in India). To me, they are both American
and so they are the same.
sorry chamcham..I beg to differ
let me ask you this>>>if a German shepard was born in America does that make the dog American? The answer is No because the dog has German bloodline and thats where German shepards came from. They weren't originally bred in America and immigrated to other locations. They're originally from Germany and came to America so they are still GERMAN SHEPARDS. the bloodline is there making them german shepards. So if we compared people its pretty much the same thing don't you think?

We can't run away from our blood lines because we're stuck with it for life, we can only continue to let it grow. A good majority of us haven't experienced living in our other country but it still makes us XX-american because we are XX, however we can better identify with american culture therefore we call ourselves XX-Americans.
for example chinese-american: the person can be born in america, speak the language, but never lived in china but does that not make them chinese-american? their blood line is there...making that chinese connections it's just they adapted to american lifestyle

User avatar
kaname
Posts: 48
Joined: Sep 19th, '04, 23:35
Location: washington dc

Post by kaname » Aug 2nd, '06, 23:42

i posted this on the singles ranting thread earlier...ignore the beginning as it referred to something going on in that thread

Posted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:21 pm Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some guys are small some guys are huge some guys are just in between

Some girls only like em large some dont care if they like the person its attached too

I think that holds true for all racial types...

I see azn guys with white girls all the time...i see black girls with azn guys i see every mix u can think of and around here no one thinks too much about it anymore...but o lord there was a time that was ugly for inter racial dating around here....I've always thought that if we all belong to the human race how can there be race mixing? I know I know there are caucasians blacks hispanics asians...w/e...all the same to me if you please
IF THERE WERE NO WOMEN IN THE WORLD WHAT A MISERABLE EXISTENCE THIS WOULD BE (not to mention none of us would be here....THANKS MOM!!!)

User avatar
kaname
Posts: 48
Joined: Sep 19th, '04, 23:35
Location: washington dc

Post by kaname » Aug 2nd, '06, 23:46

chamcham wrote:


For me, I believe that nationality is a much better way to categorize people.

Unless you are nomadic, I believe that the only country you call your own
is the one that you were born and raised in.

I'm definitely not a fan of the hyphen. So for example, terms like Asian-American, Hispanic-American, and African-American don't exist. You can only be "American". Also, no matter how hard you try, you can never be a person of your family's native country unless you were born and raised there.

So for example, I believe that so-called "Japanese" born in American can never be Japanese. You have to be born and raised in Japan to be Japanese. This seems consistent with the "Nikkei Jin" idea. At best, you are only a watered-down American imitation.

So back to the interracial dating question. My answer is that if a "Japanese-American" and "Indian-American" were to date, I don't see it as interracial. The Japanese-American person isn't Japanese(unless they were born and raised in Japan). The Indian-American isn't Indian(unless they were born and raised in India). To me, they are both American
and so they are the same.


I am not a big fan of the hyphen either, however I do disagree with the statement that a person of Japanese ancestry (or any other) born in America is not Japanese...they may not have been born in Japan that does not mean they are not of the Japanese or asian race, it means their nationality is American.
IF THERE WERE NO WOMEN IN THE WORLD WHAT A MISERABLE EXISTENCE THIS WOULD BE (not to mention none of us would be here....THANKS MOM!!!)

Showtime
Posts: 8
Joined: Aug 2nd, '06, 23:18

Post by Showtime » Aug 2nd, '06, 23:51

pretty much what the previous person stated

User avatar
howzitboy
Posts: 108
Joined: Aug 3rd, '06, 08:45
Location: on a little rock in the pacific

Post by howzitboy » Aug 8th, '06, 20:48

just move to Hawaii. there are so few "pure" blooded people here. we are a melting pot so all the kids are mixed. hawaiian-chinese-spanish-japanese-white-philipino mix is not rare. and some of those mixed girls are soo beautiful that im glad they have mixed relationships!!
im korean-irish (both love to fight) but u cant tell what i am by lookin at me and i married a japanese girl. One of my daughters looks really on the white side and my other daughter looks really oriental.

JohnnyNismo
Posts: 7
Joined: Jan 10th, '06, 06:02
Location: Houston, TX
Contact:

GENETIC DIVERSITY FTW!!!

Post by JohnnyNismo » Aug 8th, '06, 21:33

Im 100% for GENETIC DIVERSITY. Im considered to be a black person her in the USA but Im a mix of all kinds of crazy folk....Im mostly of African origin (which African country? ask the spanish slave ship ), then a full 25% Irish...the rest is Native American, Spanish, Italian and French (you know them settlers loved up on some Indian chicks...). My dad is medium brown and my mom is a yellowbone and natural redhead but BLACK. Basically without some mixin I wouldnt exist and a good number of you in the USA, whatever you may THINK you are, are mixed too. Every white person I know claims a little Native American in their blood down here in Houston, Texas. Anyways, my point is that theres no downside to genetic diversity. It actually creates a healthier population.

BTW, I love all womenz of the world. I dont care what color you are as long as youre HOT. Hotness is a universal concept in our modern world and I dont discriminate against it.

PS: I go to University of Houston (most diverse school in North America) and I confirmed that I do in fact love all kinds of women and especially Asian girls. Also Im currently single and looking. Look me up on yahoo: johnnilegend

(I have no shame when it comes to self promotion....)

User avatar
Shen
Posts: 6
Joined: Oct 20th, '05, 13:53
Location: USA

Post by Shen » Aug 8th, '06, 21:48

I'm all for it, else my wife wouldn't be chinese (I'm white). I see nothing wrong with it. Also, as stated before, they tend to produce cute kids. ^^ I really see no reason to be against it, but sadly there are a lot of people still in todays age against it (more so in older generation it seems). One day we'll have be the same color so might as well start sooner. :p

jr0ps
Posts: 2
Joined: Aug 11th, '06, 20:47

Post by jr0ps » Aug 11th, '06, 21:03

whats not to like about it, experimenting with every different culture and race is fun........sticking with only one get kind of boring after a while.......

hkgirl
Posts: 37
Joined: Jul 29th, '06, 20:59
Location: UK

Post by hkgirl » Aug 13th, '06, 08:54

I think interracial dating is great. You see it all over the UK and no one really bats an eyelid. The UK is around 95% white and if you don't go out with someone of a different race because they are of a different race then you are kind of limiting who you can go out with. For instance the 5% over here is split into something like 3% Asian and 2% black. The black group is then further split in Afro-carribean and African. There are racial tensions between the two so they tend not to mix. So if you are afro-carribean female and you want to date someone of the same race in the UK - out of every hundred men you can date 1 of them. Then you tend to find that the one black man you could date is going out with a white woman anyway! So in conclusion unless you want to live a life of single blessedness you need to open yourself up other possiblities. What has love go to do with the colour of your skin anyway?

User avatar
rossier
Posts: 53
Joined: Apr 15th, '05, 02:44
Contact:

Post by rossier » Aug 14th, '06, 11:11

Im kadazan + chinese + philiphine girl.. almost everyone in my family tree is married to people from different country and race so its not a big deal for me. I for myself is currently dating an Indonesian chinese.

:roll

Well my grandparents did it in the past so i dont think its such a big deal nowadays.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest