What's your MAJOR??

The real life drama forum. Discuss your relationships or get to know the other members here.
pRincEton giRL

Post by pRincEton giRL » Dec 12th, '05, 03:02

xKiMix since right now we have plenty choices of courses, try to ask yourelf on what do you love most. we can always choose courses that we want to but ended up not loving it otherwise... and that would be remorseful spending years for nothing. we always wanted to be like "that" but unreachable on our capabilities. now allow me to take this chance to advise you, choose a major that you really love most, that you can in accordance with you ability and be the best of it, and be who you are becuase success can be measure by the things we love doin.

i graduated as an accountancy by majoring accounting, and now working.. since i find my work really boring because it is routinary and doesnt give me much chanllenge.. i've decided to proceed to a law course while earning. right now, it gives me much pressure but yeah pretty enjoying, because once you're pressured.. you would appreciate 'hardship"..

that's all folks. :salut:
ImageImage

Please Buy From Amazon By Clicking Below To Help D-Addicts Forum:
draco

Post by draco » Dec 12th, '05, 05:25

I'm majoring in International Business Management... not very challenging but still OK

ladyfoxx

Post by ladyfoxx » Dec 12th, '05, 10:42

wow, everyone's going into so many different and hard fields. I'm majoring in .......................LIBERAL STUDIES---- yes, I want to teach!!! :D Right now I'm finishing up my general ed. and transferring in 1 month to start my undergraduate. Stupid me, I really wanted to go into this area but I was thinking about "money". I don't know about teachers' salaries in your countries, but mine, we don't get paid very well. So I ended up stumped on my career path for about 1 year until I came to my senses. I hope everyone pursuing their major actually enjoy/love it. I know money is an issue with all jobs so good luck to everyone!!!

Noor

Post by Noor » Dec 12th, '05, 11:17

International Studies as major for interest
Accounting and finance as minor for financial gain :P

my family wanted me to go to midical school, but i can't stand the idea of "you have to play with dead bodies if you want to learn!"

Good luck with your choice

Noor

Galan

Post by Galan » Dec 12th, '05, 16:44

Wow, I feel really alone. I'm a double major in history and religion who hopes to go on to grad school. Unemployment, here I come.

Burachan

Post by Burachan » Dec 12th, '05, 20:31

I just finished my undergrad in Immunology and Genetics.

Mobius Man

Post by Mobius Man » Dec 12th, '05, 20:42

Good ol' art for me. Half way through and liking it a lot. Hopefully I won't end up starving in the street with my ear cut off. :crazy:

shimizu hiro

Post by shimizu hiro » Dec 12th, '05, 20:44

xKiMix wrote:
I know what you mean. I'm really into computers and i wanted to take computer science and engineering, but my parents want me to be a nurse. I fought for my side, and now they will allow me to choose any major i want, except that now i became even more confused since they will support me in which ever path i choose except that they said in computer science i wont get as far as i dreamt i would :-(
man that sucks ......engineering is hard and its hard to go far but its all up to you ......im almost done with my electrical engineering degree and im going back in a year or so for a masters in computer engineering......i was a horrible highschool student ....so it goes to show anyone can do it..... sadly no job yet and im graduating next sem =*(

aoi_hana

Post by aoi_hana » Dec 12th, '05, 20:49

I'm a humanities major with a minor in Japanese.

You can't really do much with a humanities degree unless you're working with literature... I would have done a Japanese major but I didn't have time to take Chinese too (they require you take both). Humanities is fun though!
Currently Addicted to: Densha Otoko, Lunch Queen, Boko Dake no Madonna :wub:

Galan

Post by Galan » Dec 12th, '05, 21:14

aoi_hana wrote:I'm a humanities major with a minor in Japanese.

You can't really do much with a humanities degree unless you're working with literature... I would have done a Japanese major but I didn't have time to take Chinese too (they require you take both). Humanities is fun though!
Yeah, about all the Humanities really does is either prepare you to teach or go on to grad school. Personally, I've found that education majors are the bane of all liberal arts majors. They are the reason that if you say you are a *insert humanity or social science area here* major, the knee-jerk reaction is, "Oh, are you going to teach?"

xKiMix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by xKiMix » Dec 13th, '05, 05:49

Thanks again for your wonderful replies!!!! At this moment i'm being pressured to choose my major ASAP :cry: my parents want me to choose a major soon, very soon, since they want me to focus on just one major by the start of the next sem. Also today i talked to a counselor about transferring, and WOW i have sooo many classes i have to take! hopefully i can pass them all...this is when i really miss high school, and since i did soo good in high school i should have got straight to a UC. All those AP classes i took are useless!!! :glare:
Thanks to twinnie for the beautiful sig and to other BONchu''s!

neonkinpatsu
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by neonkinpatsu » Dec 13th, '05, 06:00

aoi_hana wrote:I'm a humanities major with a minor in Japanese.

Hell, I would have majored in Japanese if my school had it ;__;

I graduated with a B.A. in Psychology w/ Japanese minor. I have to say it, I probably wouldn't have used Japanese for anything if I'd have majored (I'd have double majored) but I just would have wanted it b/c I enjoyed taking the classes (same for psych). I'm picky and I couldn't think of any major that I was smart enough for, made decent money, and wouldn't make me feel like a drone going to work daily. I still didn't win, but I just didn't like anything else so I ended up in psych >_<

Here I am, over a year after graduating and losing each skill in Japanese day by day. I really miss taking Japanese classes and want to take private ones......but I have to think about grad school. But first, GRE's, then deciding what the hell to go to grad school for ;___; And how the hell am I going to have time to do this? I still have some pondering to do :alcoholic:
Nothing can ruin a career faster than an office party.

xiaowanzi

Post by xiaowanzi » Dec 13th, '05, 17:04

Wow...

As for me... i major in Accountancy... :cry:
Work in accountancy is hectic... lol :lol

but i enjoy wad im doing so... :whistling: :P
:thumright: My Arashi Forum: http://www.arashian.com :P :wub:

nezumi

Post by nezumi » Dec 14th, '05, 01:00

I had no idea what I wanted to major in, choosing to study near or away from home was more tough for me. Im now a semester shy of graduating in pharmaceutical chem .... yet I stil wish I did something different ^^; My folks joke how I have the heart of an eternal student as I wana do a PGC afterwards and forever be stuck in the education system.

onoturtle
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by onoturtle » Dec 14th, '05, 03:49

i got my BS in computer science with a minor in math in the spring. i seemed to have enjoyed math more than cs in the latter half of the undergrad experience. i guess i didn't care much about some of the courses i was required to take, like programming language theory, systems programming, databases, etc. while on the other hand, learning about groups, fields, modules, vector spaces, etc. from math was mighty interesting and enjoyable (even despite my math profs being much more difficult that my cs ones).

before math, i wanted to minor in biology. i guess i had an awesome experience in AP bio back in high school. and i'm still quite interested in molecular bio. but i didn't minor in bio because it would take too long because i had to take organic chem before anything. for math, i already had to take calculus, so i was well on my way.

right now i'm still in school and in the middle of my first finals week as a graduate student. i again picked cs. i don't know what i'll do my master's thesis on at the moment though. my school now has a few medical and bioinformatics profs, so it could be a good chance to throw bio back into the mix. alternatively i could do something communications/networks related, as i have the math background for it and have already gotten my feet wet in error correcting coding research.

i'm just hoping i'll be able to find a good job here in hawaii after school is all said and done. i don't want to leave hawaii! i'm not looking to get rich, just something that can pay the bills... and my student loans haha

meiohsetsuna
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by meiohsetsuna » Dec 14th, '05, 03:55

I was originally a computer science major. :) I couldn't handle the program at my college and dropped it... I still dabble with computers and such tho. I have a certificate in Digital Imaging and I'm still trying to finish up my BA's. If life goes as planned, I'm going to graduate in Spring with a Communications and Japanese Studies double major.

Jecky

Post by Jecky » Dec 14th, '05, 07:17

i don't have a major yet bcuz i'm still in middle school :P , but i would like to study medical and stuff in the hospital :mrgreen: it would be really fun taking care of people and it pays alot too :thumright:
7=1 Jaebeom oppa come back already~!!!! :cry:

ana ^-^

Post by ana ^-^ » Dec 17th, '05, 07:44

english teacher :-(

Newd00d

Post by Newd00d » Dec 17th, '05, 07:53

Comp Engineering here...didn't like Comp sci cuz too much programming...lol, but engineering is so much more interesting...hehe

wow, we got a few chem engineers...super super smart...hehe

milleu87

Post by milleu87 » Dec 17th, '05, 08:06

i hate my chemical eng major. it's so much work. all my other eng friend doesn't have to spend the whole night doing hw. i didn't go to my calc class just to send my hw. right now i am thinking to switch to civil eng

lafiel

Post by lafiel » Dec 17th, '05, 08:07

Let's see now, my major? I have too many

Finance, Accounting, International Business, East Asian Languages and Cultures....any more??? No, I think that covers just about all of them.

bellaheart

Post by bellaheart » Dec 17th, '05, 08:14

entertainment marketing... music/movies/tv here i come... now if they'll have me is a whole 'nother story.

Le Piaf
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Le Piaf » Dec 17th, '05, 13:18

3D animation and virtual reality...

So, computer engineering is my major.
Le Piaf (Moshi-moshi fansubs)

Handle the mouse ??! Not so easy, huh !

anglvue

Post by anglvue » Dec 18th, '05, 05:48

i'm reading this and going, "gosh! you guys are all so smart." i'm a political science major who just failed about two finals because I was too sick to study. after i graduate, i'm planning to get my teaching credential and maybe pursue a Ph.D in the same subject as well. Maybe i might get an master's in counseling.

AP classes really only matter if you pass the AP exam, and sometimes you have to pass with a four to actually get college credit for the courses passed. i took the government AP exam but was only given elective credit because all california colleges require students to take the political science course. they lost my scores for my US history so i still may have to take US history.
in my opinion, it's much better to bypass community college because you won't need to take unnecessary courses. of all my friends who have gone to community college, i can only name three who have gotten out so community college will take a while too.
bi kissed me in the spring,
brian in the fall,
But minwoo only looked at me
And never kissed me at all
bi's kiss was lost in jest,
brian's lost in play
But the kiss in minwoo's eyes
Haunts me night and day

vang_shua

Post by vang_shua » Dec 18th, '05, 06:19

Me... right now i'm majoring in Music Business and Production...

Yukino Miyazawa

Post by Yukino Miyazawa » Dec 18th, '05, 06:34

My major is in Communications or more specifically International Relations with a minor in business. I want to be well prepared for the future, and that's just a major that not many people think of. I like to be unique. :salut: Hope this helps!

oberon

Post by oberon » Dec 18th, '05, 13:10

my major is cultural antropology and development sociology. Next year I want to do a double major with chinese language and culture or Korean language and culture.

TIticamara

Post by TIticamara » Dec 18th, '05, 13:23

Hello guys and gals. Does it makes a big difference whether you have a pass degree or an honour's degree especially to those of you who are working now with a degree? Thanks.

wallenius83

Post by wallenius83 » Dec 18th, '05, 18:35

To all nursing students, i wish to pursue the same education like you do but first of all i really need to brush up my swedish =/ Anyway, would like to know which books are best to read for a freshie like me. Thanks!

SeraphicPenguin

Post by SeraphicPenguin » Dec 19th, '05, 19:03

My major right now is Health Service Management and Community Development. It was nursing until I figured it was a lot of hard work and very stressfull. Hopefully, I will get to head a community program with emphasis on women and children's health.

pRincEton giRL

Post by pRincEton giRL » Dec 20th, '05, 00:50

TIticamara wrote:Hello guys and gals. Does it makes a big difference whether you have a pass degree or an honour's degree especially to those of you who are working now with a degree? Thanks.
yeah it does. it adds up on your educational backround. it feels good when you obtained high degrees coz you would probably gain respect *the one you deserve* from people surrounds you. but be it noted that obtaining high degrees doesnt follow with being successful but it is a matter of *dealing* on ways how to get what you want in your life because after all, "happiness" is what we are really seeking for.
ImageImage

alfredo

Post by alfredo » Dec 20th, '05, 01:18

just graduated with honours in biochemistry.

garnet07

Post by garnet07 » Dec 21st, '05, 00:12

Newd00d wrote:Comp Engineering here...didn't like Comp sci cuz too much programming...lol, but engineering is so much more interesting...hehe

wow, we got a few chem engineers...super super smart...hehe

Huhh, in my school computer engineering is harder than computer science because comp engineering have to take same classes as comp science + electrical engineering classes (which I hate by the way, but have to take this next qtr) Uhh why do I need to learn ECE stuff when I'm gonna be a software programmer. Oh and its also true that there's like only 10 girls in my class with 70 guys...y do girls tend to major in nursing anyways.

Uhh Filipino women need to find other careers than just a nurse. That's not the only career there is. Sheez I have like 4 friends who wants to become nurses and most of my aunts are nurses. OMG is nursing that easy or great???

Also I have a question about the certification that you can get? Do you take those after or before you get your degrees and where? Plus I like my major, even though it is very hard sometimes because it seems my friends have more free time in their hands with their majors while I work my butt off and spend so many hours programming. Though, having breaks like getting a really good job in the future will pay off everything.

Tooo much rambling...anyways please tell me what you guys think too.
Waiting:
J: WatashiGaRenaiDekinaiRiyuu, HimitsuErika, NankyokuTairiku, KaseifuNoMita, NazotokiDinner
K: TreeWithDeepRoots, FlowerShop, Me2Flower
C: InTimeWithYou

imamess

Post by imamess » Dec 21st, '05, 00:18

i just graduated from art school with a bachelor's of fine art in graphic design. scary.

ahaw

ahnyong haseyo

Post by ahaw » Dec 23rd, '05, 07:40

avionics.....

:whistling:
i just a poor servant..... servant of allah s.w.t :lol

jonnerz

Post by jonnerz » Dec 23rd, '05, 07:41

interior design

race

Post by race » Dec 23rd, '05, 07:58

As for me...majoring in medical :|

yunwun2k1

Post by yunwun2k1 » Dec 23rd, '05, 08:05

Graphic Design here, It's a tremendous amount of work, mostly self-study, which I don't mind at all, but I can see some people hate having to be "responsible for tutoring yourself".

Also I LOVE interning, it's really a great way to meet cool people as well as improve my skills, which is great!

Most of my friends don't know what they want to major in, they are just going to school just to be in school so their parents can get off their backs, which I find around 90% of the people who attend college/university do!

makino

Post by makino » Dec 25th, '05, 05:09

biology major

Yoroshiku

Post by Yoroshiku » Dec 25th, '05, 05:25

Graphic Design here.

MissMonika

Post by MissMonika » Dec 26th, '05, 08:13

Nursing major.

eddymulyono

Post by eddymulyono » Dec 26th, '05, 08:46

garnet07 wrote:...Uhh why do I need to learn ECE stuff when I'm gonna be a software programmer. Oh and its also true that there's like only 10 girls in my class with 70 guys...y do girls tend to major in nursing anyways.
Stereotypes die hard, I guess....
garnet07 wrote:Also I have a question about the certification that you can get? Do you take those after or before you get your degrees and where?
I'm assuming that you want a career in programming/software development. I graduated a year ago with a BS in Computer Science, and have been working for a year and a half.

I think certifications are a waste of time. It just means that you're replacable by another person holding the same certification.

EDIT: I heard that certifications matter if you're planning to have a career as a sysadmin.

I'd advise you to build a "portfolio" instead, a la art students. I build mine by contributing code to open source projects. My resume says that I contribute to the Linux sound driver, GNOME sound server, and Gentoo Linux. I personally think these mean much more than certifications.

But to answer your question, a friend of mine got a certification while he's in univ. Most people in the industry that believes in certifications obtain them afterwards. Their company often help them by paying them through the prep classes and the exam. Where? Ask Google.

Good luck.
Last edited by eddymulyono on Dec 26th, '05, 20:18, edited 1 time in total.

razor_impulse

Post by razor_impulse » Dec 26th, '05, 09:47

Computer Science was my major but everything is being out source to India and Outside the US and more and more students continue to enroll and graduate from that field. Its really competative out there when looking for work. You need to be the best of the best in order to survive in the computer field or any none medical field. Thats I why decided to swtich to the medical field I love helping people. Plus no matter what happens people get sick all the time and speaking of time. People die all the time so I bet there is a high demand for morticitians or embalmers. There is money to be made even in death..... I know its a morbid thought but its reality.

shimy bimy

Post by shimy bimy » Dec 26th, '05, 09:48

i'm still a high school student! but i wanna be a dentist!
u see, u like, u try, u fail...mEaNwHiLe...i see, i like, i want, i get!

CuTiE 100%

Post by CuTiE 100% » Dec 26th, '05, 11:57

im thinking either bussiness management or industrial engineering

cuteangelika

Post by cuteangelika » Dec 26th, '05, 12:04

Business Management here but I dont think I'm applying anyhting Ive learned from my major although Im a Business Analyst in the IT division of an internetional bank.. :P

Wolfsmond

Post by Wolfsmond » Dec 26th, '05, 12:07

My major is Philosophy.
“Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.” - Norman Cousins

SHIN-RA
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by SHIN-RA » Dec 26th, '05, 15:55

I'm graduating from food science and technology major. My graduation ceremony will be in 2006. So yeah, I'm just a new graduant :P
"Ultimate Excellence Lies Not in Winning Every Battle, but In Defeating The Enemy Without Ever Fighting" - Sun Tzu
Former fansubber crew from http://komodofansubs.tk/

splur

Post by splur » Dec 26th, '05, 23:17

Major in Chemistry. Oh...the joy... you can tell by my enthusiasm.

Hoping to switching into some social science, graduate with a bachlors and teach English in Asia.

NoWoRRieS

Post by NoWoRRieS » Dec 27th, '05, 20:37

I used to be a double major in biochemistry and Chinese Language and Literature, but got bored rather quickly after completing many chem requirements, so I dropped it last semester. Now, I'm just a Chinese major, which is perfect because I get to spend a year abroad doing whatever I want. College is great when you get to fill up your schedule with classes you find interesting and your time doing whatever pleases you. :thumright:

steffy

Post by steffy » Dec 27th, '05, 20:51

I'm double majoring in

Business and Chinese.

DaT1PinoyDude

Post by DaT1PinoyDude » Dec 28th, '05, 01:57

Criminal Justice :thumleft:

Local, then hopefully federal someday.

anakmelayu

Post by anakmelayu » Jan 23rd, '06, 23:03

last year mechanical engineering... :cheers:, want to take NDT cert after this

shimy bimy

Post by shimy bimy » Jan 23rd, '06, 23:08

dunno...still a student..
u see, u like, u try, u fail...mEaNwHiLe...i see, i like, i want, i get!

ryobreak

Post by ryobreak » Feb 2nd, '06, 06:08

History, most extensively in European History and the Pacific War.

ryuushin

Post by ryuushin » Feb 3rd, '06, 22:00

kwon wrote:My major is Law & Economics, totally different from everyone else's major here... Does this mean I will certainly get a job in my section haha...
Hehe.. i'm also a major in Law & Economics, but also in Law and Society.. I'm thinking more to a lawyer (criminal and corporate)

At first i thought when i was 7 i wanted to become a lawyer then i worked at my uncles computer store and did computer technician for 7 years. So from 7-10 it was lawyer then 10-17 comp technician but then because i got sooooo fed up with fixing comps i decided to become a lawyer after watching Law and Order all those years. My ex ex gf also wanted to become a forensic scientists so i thought hey i could use her for help in my cases hehe..
........____@@@____........
.,_____//____?_____\______
(o------Ryuu (L) Anime------O)
-`--(@)======+======(@)--'

scanky_chops

Post by scanky_chops » Feb 3rd, '06, 22:05

Final year student studying Asian Studies with Japanese. Spent my third year in Japan to study the language obv. Missing it lots now. :unsure:

flipnicity

Post by flipnicity » Feb 3rd, '06, 22:08

scanky_chops wrote:Final year student studying Asian Studies with Japanese. Spent my third year in Japan to study the language obv. Missing it lots now. :unsure:
thats very cool! youve actually been to japan! =) I wanna go there one day... are you japanese or do you jus love all things japanese? :D Im actually planning on maybe learning korean and maybe teaching English there one of these summers...

scanky_chops

Post by scanky_chops » Feb 3rd, '06, 22:11

flipnicity wrote:thats very cool! youve actually been to japan! =) I wanna go there one day... are you japanese or do you jus love all things japanese? :D Im actually planning on maybe learning korean and maybe teaching English there one of these summers...
Not Japanese no. My English wouldn't be this great if i was. :lol :unsure: Joke.

I've actually been studying Japanese for 10 years now which should mean i'm fantastic at it but i'm not really. At the moment i'm writing my dissertation on SMAP, gender and sexuality in Japan. Seriously.

flipnicity

Post by flipnicity » Feb 3rd, '06, 22:17

wow 10 years is a long time.. =) so does that mean you can and write japanese well too?

scanky_chops

Post by scanky_chops » Feb 3rd, '06, 22:20

I'd like to think my Japanese is about 65/75% ok. I mean, in all aspects - reading, writing, speaking etc.

I'm probably a lot worse in reality.

ChinaDoll

Post by ChinaDoll » Feb 3rd, '06, 22:23

Jumped on the nursing bandwagon :D

flipnicity

Post by flipnicity » Feb 3rd, '06, 22:26

its all good! thanks for sharing. btw was it hard when you were in Japan? cuz thats one of the things Im worried about is that if I go to Korea to teach English I'd be by myself and God knows how hard it is to communicate with people if you cant speak the language that well... I'd feel homesick...

flipnicity

Post by flipnicity » Feb 3rd, '06, 22:26

ChinaDoll wrote:Jumped on the nursing bandwagon :D
hahaha!!! thats awesome! same here. :lol Im in my second year now...

scanky_chops

Post by scanky_chops » Feb 3rd, '06, 22:32

flipnicity wrote:its all good! thanks for sharing. btw was it hard when you were in Japan? cuz thats one of the things Im worried about is that if I go to Korea to teach English I'd be by myself and God knows how hard it is to communicate with people if you cant speak the language that well... I'd feel homesick...
I think due to my background it was quite hard at times. I'm a Muslim so going to a country where drinking is a BIG thing for getting together was a bit annoying at times. Thankfully i had some great foreign friends who made things easier.

I think if you want to go to a different country say Japan, you should be able to speak at least SOMETHING because in a lot of cases many of the people don't speak English themselves. A little bit goes a long way.

flipnicity

Post by flipnicity » Feb 3rd, '06, 22:59

yeah I understand... drinking is a huge part of a lot of asian cultures including mine... well I have every intention of ensuring that I have some proficiency in the language spoken as well as the customs before I go to some forgeign place. =) Thanks for the advice and gluck with the rest of your Japanese Studies!

neme_chan

Post by neme_chan » Feb 4th, '06, 13:33

scanky_chops wrote:
flipnicity wrote:thats very cool! youve actually been to japan! =) I wanna go there one day... are you japanese or do you jus love all things japanese? :D Im actually planning on maybe learning korean and maybe teaching English there one of these summers...
Not Japanese no. My English wouldn't be this great if i was. :lol :unsure: Joke.

I've actually been studying Japanese for 10 years now which should mean i'm fantastic at it but i'm not really. At the moment i'm writing my dissertation on SMAP, gender and sexuality in Japan. Seriously.
Scanky-chops: Pretty cool topic for a dissertation, seriously! I'd like to do research on Japanese entertainment as well, just there's no chance to do it where I live -_-´ So for now I just study Japanese. :)

I'll be a Communication-Journalism major in a month and a half. Currently trying to find a field of study that would allow me to take a graduation level abroad (with a scholarship if possible). Any suggestions, anyone? Bio and chemistry aren't really my thing..

ChinaDoll

Post by ChinaDoll » Feb 5th, '06, 05:14

flipnicity wrote:
ChinaDoll wrote:Jumped on the nursing bandwagon :D
hahaha!!! thats awesome! same here. :lol Im in my second year now...
Haha cool! How much more do you have to go? I'm in my junior year rite now.. dying to graduate >_< Almost wish I'd have done a 2 year program

ademala

Post by ademala » Feb 7th, '06, 23:32

Psychology major in University
credit: manderley angel@soompi

xKiMix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by xKiMix » Feb 8th, '06, 07:10

wow! so many nurses here! what's scary though in my college 1 out of 5 want to be nurses.....

haven't been in this thread for awhile, i'm still stuck guys! i thought i found what i wanted to do but i just can't find my heart in it :pale: I having an appointment with my counselor this coming monday, hopefully he/she will be able to help me. Its just that this is such a big decision i really dont want to mess up in.....

Sev

Post by Sev » Feb 8th, '06, 07:43

I'm majoring in Cartooning.

Other places like to call it fancy names, like Sequential Art, but Cartooning is what it is and it's what I study.

k_fan

Post by k_fan » Feb 8th, '06, 08:07

That's understandable, Kimi. Most students change their majors at least once in college, and a lot end up in an entirely different field than their degree would suggest. I'll second what someone else said-- degrees are a dime a dozen nowadays; they're expected. The two biggest tips we can give you, find something you like and something you're good at. That should narrow it down. You can figure that out by taking a smorgasboard of courses. Take some of this, some of that, even some classes you might not expect you'd enjoy or a totally new subject. (Trying out different jobs is an even better test; you learn a lot about yourself that way.) Something will eventually catch your fancy. Just make sure it's in demand.

Me, I think college is for many people a waste of time and not worth the years' of loans. That's why I dropped my chem major. I may go into nursing- it's in demand, you can get tested after two years, and frankly, I'm tired of paying to learn. I'm sick of the college scene. "Real world," my foot. I'm ready to get paid. If you think about it, we spend something like a third of our lives in school, and for what? Training for the workplace. So find a job you'll like, learn it, and get out of there, girl. Just pray it's worth the debt.

xKiMix
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by xKiMix » Feb 10th, '06, 01:49

k_fan wrote:That's understandable, Kimi. Most students change their majors at least once in college, and a lot end up in an entirely different field than their degree would suggest. I'll second what someone else said-- degrees are a dime a dozen nowadays; they're expected. The two biggest tips we can give you, find something you like and something you're good at. That should narrow it down. You can figure that out by taking a smorgasboard of courses. Take some of this, some of that, even some classes you might not expect you'd enjoy or a totally new subject. (Trying out different jobs is an even better test; you learn a lot about yourself that way.) Something will eventually catch your fancy. Just make sure it's in demand.

Me, I think college is for many people a waste of time and not worth the years' of loans. That's why I dropped my chem major. I may go into nursing- it's in demand, you can get tested after two years, and frankly, I'm tired of paying to learn. I'm sick of the college scene. "Real world," my foot. I'm ready to get paid. If you think about it, we spend something like a third of our lives in school, and for what? Training for the workplace. So find a job you'll like, learn it, and get out of there, girl. Just pray it's worth the debt.
Thanks for the advice!!! I would go into nursing, but there is soooo many people taking, since i'm still a freshmen, i'm afraid it won't be much of a demand when i'm done with the coarse. Like as i said, in my college, 1 out of 5 students are taking nursing as a major. And almost everyone i as from other schools are also taking nursing....

CraZyaH
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by CraZyaH » Feb 12th, '06, 06:50

wow everybody's in nursing school here lol
well since I've been a computer addict for years,and it's prolly the only thing I'm good at so
I'm studying Information Technology;Business Information Technlogy to be more specific ^^

nilucky

Post by nilucky » Feb 14th, '06, 14:00

I took Computer Science.There are so many ppl in computer science haha, ... but i'm gonna take art but will not drop my first major.
Last edited by nilucky on Feb 14th, '06, 14:32, edited 1 time in total.