Chinese D-Addicts

speak whatever language you like here.
User avatar
furelise
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 346
Joined: Feb 1st, '06, 06:58

Post by furelise » Nov 26th, '06, 03:37

*kawaii* wrote:furelise

thanks alote for your replay :)
i will read the amazon reviews
*kawaii*: u are welcome :-) do feel free to pm me if you have questions. my relative's ezcema had been very bad since childhood.. and i know the frustration the family goes through trying to help her and seeing her so miserable. if she can use the Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream without any adverse reaction, I'm sure your relative can use it too.. :-) btw it was recommended by a dermatologist who had eczema herself.
here are more reviews i found on the cream, seems like alot of other people have found that it helped their eczema: http://www.drugstore.com/products/prod. ... 83&tab=1#1
ImageImage

crazy_crazy
Posts: 8
Joined: Jan 9th, '06, 01:33

Post by crazy_crazy » Dec 5th, '06, 03:20

blushyy wrote:
Lady Zhuge wrote:
I think the main female character in "War of the In-laws" is really good. Her other dramas are quite entertaining too. [What's her name?] She's a good actress... But my favourite one has got to the be in-laws one, hahah so funny.
HIYA yeah im chinese aswell, nehoo the main female actress is called "myolie wu" she not bad bt i like charmaine sheh ^^ she cute ^^

214641
Posts: 3
Joined: Dec 5th, '06, 04:17

Post by 214641 » Dec 5th, '06, 04:34

喜新厌旧比较严重,到目前为止,能记起的还比较喜欢的大陆剧是"血色浪漫",看完电视又找原著看了一遍.
Last edited by 214641 on Dec 5th, '06, 04:39, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1825
Joined: Oct 19th, '04, 02:22
Location: NYC
Contact:

Post by lilswtangel » Dec 16th, '06, 11:47

你們還好吧﹖ I haven't visited this thread in months.......:)
my blog[/size]

_iris
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 72
Joined: Dec 17th, '06, 11:09

Post by _iris » Dec 31st, '06, 10:56

Hello guys, I'd like to get your opinions on some words that I'm having trouble with on a translation.

鎮定劑 - Doctor asks orderly to give 5 mg of this drug to a mental patient. It's to calm the patient down.

Also, could someone tell me what the Chinese word is for "silicone"? As in the material they use for breast implants. I can't find the chinese characters for this material, but it seems to be this word and I want to match it up.

Thank you =)

User avatar
habukie
AiRen
AiRen
Posts: 1362
Joined: Mar 1st, '04, 21:42
Location: away

Post by habukie » Dec 31st, '06, 19:56

_iris wrote:Hello guys, I'd like to get your opinions on some words that I'm having trouble with on a translation.

鎮定劑 - Doctor asks orderly to give 5 mg of this drug to a mental patient. It's to calm the patient down.

Also, could someone tell me what the Chinese word is for "silicone"? As in the material they use for breast implants. I can't find the chinese characters for this material, but it seems to be this word and I want to match it up.

Thank you =)
i looked it up. according to most sources 鎮定劑 is phenobarbital, which is kind of unbelievable. that is definitely not what would be given in the US. anyways, hope that helped.

as for silicon, what i could find was this: 硅凝膠 which seems to be the gel that they make stuff out of. 硅 is silicon, the element.

auroragb
Posts: 1138
Joined: Aug 30th, '05, 15:16

Post by auroragb » Jan 1st, '07, 03:42

habukie wrote:
_iris wrote:Hello guys, I'd like to get your opinions on some words that I'm having trouble with on a translation.
鎮定劑 - Doctor asks orderly to give 5 mg of this drug to a mental patient. It's to calm the patient down.
Also, could someone tell me what the Chinese word is for "silicone"? As in the material they use for breast implants. I can't find the chinese characters for this material, but it seems to be this word and I want to match it up.
Thank you =)
i looked it up. according to most sources 鎮定劑 is phenobarbital, which is kind of unbelievable. that is definitely not what would be given in the US. anyways, hope that helped.
as for silicon, what i could find was this: 硅凝膠 which seems to be the gel that they make stuff out of. 硅 is silicon, the element.
I think that a better translation of 鎮定劑 is "sedative" rather than phenobarbital because phenobarbital is a specific type of sedative rather than the general term sedative, which is what 鎮定劑 is.

As for silicone, the term should be 矽膠, once again, 硅凝膠 is way too technical, nobody refers to it as such except in an chemical academic surrounding. Outside, such as in dramas, 矽膠 is the term, particularly in context of breast implants
Jdrama Chinese fansub index 2006 | 2007

User avatar
habukie
AiRen
AiRen
Posts: 1362
Joined: Mar 1st, '04, 21:42
Location: away

Post by habukie » Jan 1st, '07, 07:14

^^thanks for the clarification. i didn't really read much of the sites where i found the info, but i'm guessing they were giving phenobarbital as an example of a sedative. i'm actually glad that it actually isn't phenobarbital, though i think that a doctor telling someone to give 5mg of a "sedative" isn't the best care you could get, either. i wouldn't want to be at that hospital. :) as for the silicon thing, i can't believe there are so many names for silicon. just searched the dictionary and there are so many words for it. guess i need to refine my search to non-academic sites next time. you're right that i got the answer from some scientific journals. :roll and i have to admit, i've never heard them refer to implants before in a drama...

User avatar
lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1825
Joined: Oct 19th, '04, 02:22
Location: NYC
Contact:

Post by lilswtangel » Jan 4th, '07, 19:09

^yea me neither ^^;; It's the first time I've heard of them especially in a Chinese speaking drama~ :lol
my blog[/size]

auroragb
Posts: 1138
Joined: Aug 30th, '05, 15:16

Post by auroragb » Jan 4th, '07, 21:49

hehe, I guess you guys don't watch enough variety shows, the dialog is way more saucy there They even talk about NuBra :P

wrt sedative, the problem with drama writing is the audience you're writing to. The audience of House or ER might like jargon that goes right over their head. But typically "sedatives" are used as a plot device, like doctor trying to get someone to calm down. If you use a very technical term, tho you'd correct, you'd also lose the audience as they don't know if you're shooting them up with something lethal or whatever.
Jdrama Chinese fansub index 2006 | 2007

User avatar
angeizahoy
Posts: 308
Joined: Feb 6th, '06, 16:47

Post by angeizahoy » Jan 5th, '07, 01:55

hey all, quick question.

i was watching a movie recently, and i was just curious. there is a part where the girl is telling the guy that she's pregnant. except all she said was "我有啦". The movie is in Canto, so i think that's how you write it in characters.. But yeah... how does that equal "I'm pregnant?" is it like some slang thing where people understand to be equal to "i'm pregnant?" cos when she said it, i was thinking "huh? what do you have?"

User avatar
lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 1825
Joined: Oct 19th, '04, 02:22
Location: NYC
Contact:

Post by lilswtangel » Jan 5th, '07, 02:05

^that literally translates to "I have it" (pronounced as "ngor yow la") LOL XD

usually in Cantonese, we say "ngor yow jor ah"~ Sorry I would type in Chinese but I'm too lazy to open up my every expired version of NJ Star Communicator and wait for it to load........and even lazier to type it in Chinese WP and copy & paste it here~
my blog[/size]

User avatar
furelise
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 346
Joined: Feb 1st, '06, 06:58

Post by furelise » Jan 6th, '07, 03:40

angeizahoy wrote:hey all, quick question.

i was watching a movie recently, and i was just curious. there is a part where the girl is telling the guy that she's pregnant. except all she said was "我有啦". The movie is in Canto, so i think that's how you write it in characters.. But yeah... how does that equal "I'm pregnant?" is it like some slang thing where people understand to be equal to "i'm pregnant?" cos when she said it, i was thinking "huh? what do you have?"
yup, "我有啦" or "我有了" is a colloquial term to mean "i'm pregnant"
ImageImage

crazy_crazy
Posts: 8
Joined: Jan 9th, '06, 01:33

Post by crazy_crazy » Jan 6th, '07, 05:25

angeizahoy wrote:hey all, quick question.

i was watching a movie recently, and i was just curious. there is a part where the girl is telling the guy that she's pregnant. except all she said was "我有啦". The movie is in Canto, so i think that's how you write it in characters.. But yeah... how does that equal "I'm pregnant?" is it like some slang thing where people understand to be equal to "i'm pregnant?" cos when she said it, i was thinking "huh? what do you have?"
yep its the same, bt i guess ur nt chinese are u?
nvm la :scratch:

User avatar
martina_SMO
Posts: 96
Joined: Sep 12th, '05, 14:29
Location: Italy

Post by martina_SMO » Jan 16th, '07, 05:33

Hi everyone^_^

I know this is quite desperate, but I really need help in translating 7 pages from a comic [Kissho Tennyo] written in Traditional (<- I think^^) Chinese.
I can understand Japanese so I can make out some words but that's it...
Basically, I was happily translating the Japanese version when I found out that those 7 pages were missing, shock!! >_<

Here are the first 2 pages, if someone could help me translate even a couple of sentences, I would be eternally grateful *_*

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7973/boh0vj7.jpg
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/176/boh1le2.jpg

Thank you, and please forgive me for the improper use of this thread m(_ _)m

auroragb
Posts: 1138
Joined: Aug 30th, '05, 15:16

Post by auroragb » Jan 16th, '07, 05:42

1. ok
2. As for the question you just asked
3. I have 2 sisters, one married and one engaged
4. But they are like strangers to me
5. Since I was sick as a child, my mom sent me to her friends house since I was 6
6. Sorry...
7. I shouldn't have brought it up
8. No problem, I don't mind
9. um. but, I keep saying the wrong things and annoy people
10. unintentionally
You're back, have you gotten used to the new school
11. Nothing unusual
12. Why is there mud all over your skirt
13. oh, this?
14. I sparred a bit with someone!
16. It was nothing, I'm going to take a bath
Jdrama Chinese fansub index 2006 | 2007

User avatar
martina_SMO
Posts: 96
Joined: Sep 12th, '05, 14:29
Location: Italy

Post by martina_SMO » Jan 16th, '07, 05:50

OMG!! Thank you so much aurora!! ;;_____;;

I will add your name to the credits when the translation comes out!! (http://smoproject.altervista.org/)

In case you could (there's no hurry anyway^_-), here's the rest:

http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/2205/boh2zu5.jpg
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/8581/boh3dg2.jpg
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2016/boh4ry2.jpg
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/4116/boh5vx2.jpg
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/7739/boh6gg0.jpg
[END]

Many many thanks, and no problem if you can't translate these as well, or if you will do so in a few days ^__^v

xie xie :wub: :wub:

_iris
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 72
Joined: Dec 17th, '06, 11:09

Post by _iris » Jan 16th, '07, 05:55

martina_SMO wrote:Hi everyone^_^

I know this is quite desperate, but I really need help in translating 7 pages from a comic [Kissho Tennyo] written in Traditional (<- I think^^) Chinese.
I can understand Japanese so I can make out some words but that's it...
Basically, I was happily translating the Japanese version when I found out that those 7 pages were missing, shock!! >_<

Here are the first 2 pages, if someone could help me translate even a couple of sentences, I would be eternally grateful *_*

http://img213.imageshack.us/img213/7973/boh0vj7.jpg
http://img136.imageshack.us/img136/176/boh1le2.jpg
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2016/boh4ry2.jpg
http://img73.imageshack.us/img73/4116/boh5vx2.jpg
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/7739/boh6gg0.jpg

Thank you, and please forgive me for the improper use of this thread m(_ _)m
EDIT: Oops lol, one step late!

auroragb
Posts: 1138
Joined: Aug 30th, '05, 15:16

Post by auroragb » Jan 16th, '07, 06:08

16. Oh, the long kimono is finished, try it on later
Your engagement is on the 15th, your grandpa is very happy
17. Will this be alright?
Yea
18. As long as auntie's fine with it
19. so...
20. what a strange girl
How's the water?
21. Are you there, yukomasa?
22. this bathhouse is still the same, hasn't changed at all
23. Grandpa still likes to use wood to heat water
24. I saw the Tono family's young master
25. We happen to be in the same class
26. School is rather interesting, there are all sorts of people
27. There was a cute girl
28. quite cute
29. I like this school
30. Ow! My head hurts, I drank too much last night
31. Oh, it's you guys, what's up?
32. I have bad news for you
33. What? Ozawa?
34. You really heard that from <kyuuko>
35. Well, we just wanted to scare the girl
36. We didn't think that girl would be so good
37. How hurt is Ozawa
38. Just like that girl said, a slight fracture
39. It's all my fault, I thought she was a girl, so I underestimated her
40. She was incredible
41. If we knew she was that good, we wouldn't have gone
Jdrama Chinese fansub index 2006 | 2007

User avatar
martina_SMO
Posts: 96
Joined: Sep 12th, '05, 14:29
Location: Italy

Post by martina_SMO » Jan 16th, '07, 13:35

Aurora, I really don't know how to thank you, you saved me!! :salut: :cheers:

謝謝!! :notworthy:

girl4anime
Posts: 9
Joined: Jan 17th, '07, 06:08
Location: USA

Please help me translate these 2 Chinese characters!!

Post by girl4anime » Jan 17th, '07, 06:17

Does anyone know what these characters translate to in English? It's kinda important to me so any clues or help would be greatly appriciated. I know it's a really low quality picture and I'm sorry but my camera (built into my pda) sucks. Please help! Thanks. :-)

[img]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b137/ ... nknown.jpg[/img]

User avatar
habukie
AiRen
AiRen
Posts: 1362
Joined: Mar 1st, '04, 21:42
Location: away

Re: Please help me translate these 2 Chinese characters!!

Post by habukie » Jan 17th, '07, 06:40

girl4anime wrote:Does anyone know what these characters translate to in English? It's kinda important to me so any clues or help would be greatly appriciated. I know it's a really low quality picture and I'm sorry but my camera (built into my pda) sucks. Please help! Thanks. :-)
it looks like the two characters are 基丁 (ji ding). i looked it up in the dictionary and could not find a definition. hope someone else can shed some light on that. :-)

User avatar
ying82
Posts: 7
Joined: May 20th, '06, 06:20
Location: socal

Post by ying82 » Jan 17th, '07, 06:55

Looked it up on http://www.zhongwen.com. First word is base. Second is cube or man. Did your friend mean 雞丁, small little cube of chicken meat?

girl4anime
Posts: 9
Joined: Jan 17th, '07, 06:08
Location: USA

Post by girl4anime » Jan 18th, '07, 03:39

ying82 wrote:Did your friend mean 雞丁, small little cube of chicken meat?
I'm pretty sure tha'ts not what she meant, but thanks anyway!

gixo
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 728
Joined: Jan 10th, '06, 01:22

Post by gixo » Jan 26th, '07, 23:17

Does anyone know a programm where the Chinese characters will converted into Zhu Yin Fu Hao? My sis would like to sing some KTVs however her Chinese reading abilites are really bad. so I am looking for a Zhu Yin Fu Hao Programme. I already have a programme to show Pin Yin but Zhu Yin Fu Hao would be much better for her. Thanks

_iris
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 72
Joined: Dec 17th, '06, 11:09

Post by _iris » Jan 29th, '07, 03:41

I am going to have to call upon the lovely people that frequent this thread again.

For this term: 断肠日

Literal translation is "Day for splitting intestines", and it signifies something tragic.

What is the normal term for this in English?

Thanks =)

auroragb
Posts: 1138
Joined: Aug 30th, '05, 15:16

Post by auroragb » Jan 29th, '07, 14:36

it's a metaphore for heartbreak. A close analog in english would be gut-wrenching anguish. Sometimes villains say that in a double entendre when they feed somebody a poison.
Jdrama Chinese fansub index 2006 | 2007

User avatar
Moondy
Posts: 142
Joined: Jan 9th, '07, 21:03

Post by Moondy » Jan 31st, '07, 19:42

:O

User avatar
nigoat
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 34
Joined: Feb 11th, '07, 23:41
Location: Toronto

Post by nigoat » Feb 12th, '07, 04:05

...i clicked on the title hoping to see some chinese....and the result disappoints me very much..
haha just kidding...but still wondering how come no one types chinese in here...
i think i'll start..
打中文。。。打中文。。。打中文。。。打中文。。。打中文。。。打中文。。。打中文。。。打中文。。。打中文。。。打中文。。。打中文。。。打中文。。。打中文。。。打中文。。。打中文。。。打中文。。。打中文。。。打中文。。。打中文。。。打中文。。。打中文。。。打中文。。。打中文。。。打中文。。。

haha~am i getting kicked out? better get outta here now-saves trouble for u guys..
for those who dont understand chinese, the repeated chinese text i typed up there means "type chinese..." i no i'm bored..

User avatar
angeizahoy
Posts: 308
Joined: Feb 6th, '06, 16:47

Post by angeizahoy » Feb 12th, '07, 04:20

crazy_crazy wrote:
angeizahoy wrote:hey all, quick question.

i was watching a movie recently, and i was just curious. there is a part where the girl is telling the guy that she's pregnant. except all she said was "我有啦". The movie is in Canto, so i think that's how you write it in characters.. But yeah... how does that equal "I'm pregnant?" is it like some slang thing where people understand to be equal to "i'm pregnant?" cos when she said it, i was thinking "huh? what do you have?"
yep its the same, bt i guess ur nt chinese are u?
nvm la :scratch:
actually, i am Chinese, haha. but i've never had anyone telling me they're pregnant, nor have i heard anyone saying it either. so i'm not familiar with this saying, and hence, my confusion.


thanks everyone for clarifying this for me! =)

petrus
Posts: 11
Joined: Nov 10th, '05, 07:03

Post by petrus » Feb 12th, '07, 04:47

angeizahoy wrote:
crazy_crazy wrote:
angeizahoy wrote:hey all, quick question.

i was watching a movie recently, and i was just curious. there is a part where the girl is telling the guy that she's pregnant. except all she said was "我有啦". The movie is in Canto, so i think that's how you write it in characters.. But yeah... how does that equal "I'm pregnant?" is it like some slang thing where people understand to be equal to "i'm pregnant?" cos when she said it, i was thinking "huh? what do you have?"
yep its the same, bt i guess ur nt chinese are u?
nvm la :scratch:
actually, i am Chinese, haha. but i've never had anyone telling me they're pregnant, nor have i heard anyone saying it either. so i'm not familiar with this saying, and hence, my confusion.


thanks everyone for clarifying this for me! =)
= I have (baby)

User avatar
wallflower
Posts: 62
Joined: Dec 17th, '06, 00:28

Post by wallflower » Feb 13th, '07, 10:11

I have a quick question too. Uhmm.. the word 暴发户(pronounced bao fa hu in mandarin, I think) in an insult way, how would you explain this word in English that is commonly heard of? I'm thinking of snob, but somehow I don't think it fits the word correctly. =X What do you think ? I think brat would fit also, but in this situation, a brat would kill the mood.
angeizahoy wrote:
crazy_crazy wrote:
angeizahoy wrote:hey all, quick question.

i was watching a movie recently, and i was just curious. there is a part where the girl is telling the guy that she's pregnant. except all she said was "我有啦". The movie is in Canto, so i think that's how you write it in characters.. But yeah... how does that equal "I'm pregnant?" is it like some slang thing where people understand to be equal to "i'm pregnant?" cos when she said it, i was thinking "huh? what do you have?"
yep its the same, bt i guess ur nt chinese are u?
nvm la :scratch:
actually, i am Chinese, haha. but i've never had anyone telling me they're pregnant, nor have i heard anyone saying it either. so i'm not familiar with this saying, and hence, my confusion.


thanks everyone for clarifying this for me! =)
well, i THINK it reads as "i have it" or something.. so maybe in the background of the story, they knew what she was talking about? ive never heard it said like that either. it's really unspecific lol.

User avatar
yamcha
Posts: 85
Joined: Dec 2nd, '06, 05:12
Location: Causeway Bay

Musashi

Post by yamcha » Feb 14th, '07, 23:36

Hi all Chinese members,

I am wondering if any of you heard of a Chinese translated version of the Japanese book Musashi. the Chinese character is 宮本武蔵 .

Please let me know if you have seen this.

Thank you.

User avatar
eegybur
Posts: 33
Joined: Jan 16th, '07, 02:02
Location: USA

Post by eegybur » Feb 15th, '07, 01:53

wallflower wrote:I have a quick question too. Uhmm.. the word 暴发户(pronounced bao fa hu in mandarin, I think) in an insult way, how would you explain this word in English that is commonly heard of? I'm thinking of snob, but somehow I don't think it fits the word correctly. =X What do you think ? I think brat would fit also, but in this situation, a brat would kill the mood.
angeizahoy wrote:
crazy_crazy wrote:
yep its the same, bt i guess ur nt chinese are u?
nvm la :scratch:
actually, i am Chinese, haha. but i've never had anyone telling me they're pregnant, nor have i heard anyone saying it either. so i'm not familiar with this saying, and hence, my confusion.


thanks everyone for clarifying this for me! =)
well, i THINK it reads as "i have it" or something.. so maybe in the background of the story, they knew what she was talking about? ive never heard it said like that either. it's really unspecific lol.
I speak Cantonese. I never really thought about it, but maybe it's a Cantonese thing to say it like that. I've heard plenty of people say it in Cantonese and my mom said it when she became accidently pregnant with one of my siblings. It's just one of those implied things, that may or may not be a cultural thing.
This is kind of a gross example, but when people say:" It hurts/itches *down there*", people automatically know what you mean.
I dunno; I think its not thaaaat uncommon and unclear...
^^

auroragb
Posts: 1138
Joined: Aug 30th, '05, 15:16

Re: Musashi

Post by auroragb » Feb 15th, '07, 03:57

yamcha wrote:Hi all Chinese members,

I am wondering if any of you heard of a Chinese translated version of the Japanese book Musashi. the Chinese character is 宮本武蔵 .

Please let me know if you have seen this.

Thank you.
http://findbook.tw/b/ISBN/9789573234371
http://www.readannals.com/forum/view_6671.html
Jdrama Chinese fansub index 2006 | 2007

User avatar
yamcha
Posts: 85
Joined: Dec 2nd, '06, 05:12
Location: Causeway Bay

Post by yamcha » Feb 15th, '07, 05:17

auroragb,

Thank you so much. I am having a little bit of trouble reading some of the simplified characters on that page. Can you tell me if the book itself is written in simplified chinese? If so then I'll be having a little bit of trouble.

auroragb
Posts: 1138
Joined: Aug 30th, '05, 15:16

Post by auroragb » Feb 15th, '07, 06:03

The print version I listed is from Taiwan, so it has traditional characters
The file is probably in simplified Chinese
I was too lazy to actually do the registration to download the file
Jdrama Chinese fansub index 2006 | 2007

User avatar
wallflower
Posts: 62
Joined: Dec 17th, '06, 00:28

Post by wallflower » Feb 15th, '07, 06:40

eegybur wrote:
wallflower wrote:I have a quick question too. Uhmm.. the word 暴发户(pronounced bao fa hu in mandarin, I think) in an insult way, how would you explain this word in English that is commonly heard of? I'm thinking of snob, but somehow I don't think it fits the word correctly. =X What do you think ? I think brat would fit also, but in this situation, a brat would kill the mood.
angeizahoy wrote:
actually, i am Chinese, haha. but i've never had anyone telling me they're pregnant, nor have i heard anyone saying it either. so i'm not familiar with this saying, and hence, my confusion.


thanks everyone for clarifying this for me! =)
well, i THINK it reads as "i have it" or something.. so maybe in the background of the story, they knew what she was talking about? ive never heard it said like that either. it's really unspecific lol.
I speak Cantonese. I never really thought about it, but maybe it's a Cantonese thing to say it like that. I've heard plenty of people say it in Cantonese and my mom said it when she became accidently pregnant with one of my siblings. It's just one of those implied things, that may or may not be a cultural thing.
This is kind of a gross example, but when people say:" It hurts/itches *down there*", people automatically know what you mean.
I dunno; I think its not thaaaat uncommon and unclear...
^^
I'm cantonese too, but I understand both mandarin & canto so yea >< but lol at your example. It does make sense though. Like I bet people who don't hear that often would understand what they're talking about. X"D It makes sense now. xD

_iris
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 72
Joined: Dec 17th, '06, 11:09

Post by _iris » Feb 16th, '07, 09:04

Recently I've been doing some historical drama translation, and I just came across this:
五更
What time is that? 三更 is midnight. But what time is 五更? Any replies very much appreciated!
And for all those poetic and mythological terms...that's another page of question altogether :lol

User avatar
Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen
Posts: 612
Joined: Apr 24th, '04, 07:38

Post by Kai Lien » Feb 16th, '07, 09:10

hiya iris. Thanks for translating ancient dramas! 五更 is just before dawn. Like 5 AM in the morning. :)

_iris
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 72
Joined: Dec 17th, '06, 11:09

Post by _iris » Feb 16th, '07, 09:31

Kai Lien wrote:hiya iris. Thanks for translating ancient dramas! 五更 is just before dawn. Like 5 AM in the morning. :)
:lol Boy, I feel silly! 三更 =/= midnight, then! xD Thanks Kai Lien!

User avatar
the_secret
Posts: 39
Joined: Apr 16th, '06, 01:41
Location: up and down... and behind
Contact:

Post by the_secret » Feb 16th, '07, 10:20

xīn nián kuài lè 新年快樂, 新年快乐 which is more correct? that or this 新年好
i love you because i know no other way
than this: where i does not exist, nor you,
so close that your hand on my chest is my hand,
so close that your eyes close as i fall asleep


ravissant.blogspot.com

ThaChinky
Posts: 34
Joined: Jan 31st, '04, 20:29

Post by ThaChinky » Feb 16th, '07, 10:34

i have ALWAYS said "新年快樂". that's what i was taught in chinese school. altho, the school was taiwanese, but i've never heard anybody say the other one. the first one means happy new year, the second one would only mean "good new year". maybe sorta in the sense that your crops will be better in the new year or something..i dunno.
the_secret wrote:xīn nián kuài lè 新年快樂, 新年快乐 which is more correct? that or this 新年好

_iris
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 72
Joined: Dec 17th, '06, 11:09

Post by _iris » Feb 16th, '07, 10:38

the_secret wrote:xīn nián kuài lè 新年快樂, 新年快乐 which is more correct? that or this 新年好
The first one is "happy new year", which is just like a generic greeting for the new year, it doesn't have to be towards any particular person.

"xin nian hao" is sort of like the same circumstance as "ni hao", it is used very often, but you have to say it towards someone.

That's the distinction I use.

auroragb
Posts: 1138
Joined: Aug 30th, '05, 15:16

Post by auroragb » Feb 16th, '07, 16:10

the_secret wrote:xīn nián kuài lè 新年快樂, 新年快乐 which is more correct? that or this 新年好
both are fine, but it's easier to emphasize "hao" than "kuai le", so announcers often use 新年好. But colloquially, xīn nián kuài lè 新年快樂, 新年快乐 (why did you write it three ways?) is the common usage
Jdrama Chinese fansub index 2006 | 2007

User avatar
savagett
Posts: 13
Joined: Feb 6th, '07, 14:59
Location: Shanghai
Contact:

Post by savagett » Feb 16th, '07, 16:43

auroragb wrote: But colloquially, xīn nián kuài lè 新年快樂, 新年快乐 (why did you write it three ways?) is the common usage
maybe want to distinguish simplified chinese and traditional chinese.....

hi everyone, I am new to this group~ nice to know everyone here and discuss doramas~

User avatar
iloveKJH
Posts: 181
Joined: Feb 7th, '07, 12:24
Location: Republic of Ireland

Post by iloveKJH » Feb 20th, '07, 16:58

ni hao! although im not Chinese, i love watching Cdramas!!! im currently obsessed wit it ryt now..esp Taiwanese dramas! i just wanna ask, is it chinese they're using in taiwanese drama?
Image
RAIN / SE7EN / KIM JUNG HOON / MIKE HE / WU CHUN / JOE CHENG / VIC ZHOU :wub: :wub: :wub:

currently watching: MY LUCKY STAR , CORNER WITH LOVE , WHY WHY LOVE

_iris
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 72
Joined: Dec 17th, '06, 11:09

Post by _iris » Feb 20th, '07, 20:39

iloveKJH wrote:ni hao! although im not Chinese, i love watching Cdramas!!! im currently obsessed wit it ryt now..esp Taiwanese dramas! i just wanna ask, is it chinese they're using in taiwanese drama?
They use Mandarin in Taiwanese drama~ At least the mainstream ones. I've heard some regional dialect of "Taiwanese" on KO One and I'm sure on other Taiwanese shows too.

User avatar
iloveKJH
Posts: 181
Joined: Feb 7th, '07, 12:24
Location: Republic of Ireland

Post by iloveKJH » Feb 20th, '07, 23:57

_iris wrote:
iloveKJH wrote:ni hao! although im not Chinese, i love watching Cdramas!!! im currently obsessed wit it ryt now..esp Taiwanese dramas! i just wanna ask, is it chinese they're using in taiwanese drama?
They use Mandarin in Taiwanese drama~ At least the mainstream ones. I've heard some regional dialect of "Taiwanese" on KO One and I'm sure on other Taiwanese shows too.
oh..is that so? thanks for telling...:)
Image
RAIN / SE7EN / KIM JUNG HOON / MIKE HE / WU CHUN / JOE CHENG / VIC ZHOU :wub: :wub: :wub:

currently watching: MY LUCKY STAR , CORNER WITH LOVE , WHY WHY LOVE

User avatar
yamcha
Posts: 85
Joined: Dec 2nd, '06, 05:12
Location: Causeway Bay

I love &#26446;&#30333;!

Post by yamcha » Feb 22nd, '07, 00:43

花間一壺酒
獨酌無相親
舉杯邀明月
對影成三人
月既不解飲
影徒隨我身
暫伴月將影
行樂須及春
我歌月徘徊
我舞影零亂
醒時同交歡
醉後各分散
永結無情遊
相期邈雲漢

auroragb
Posts: 1138
Joined: Aug 30th, '05, 15:16

Post by auroragb » Feb 22nd, '07, 20:12

^ is this an invitation to drink?
:alcoholic:
Jdrama Chinese fansub index 2006 | 2007

_iris
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 72
Joined: Dec 17th, '06, 11:09

Post by _iris » Feb 22nd, '07, 22:27

Ah..I see yamcha is foraying into the forum of spammeh using poems xD

Here is a taiwan slang word: 恰北北

Have no idea what it means! My suspicions are that it's something to do with a spoiled child? Anyone?

auroragb
Posts: 1138
Joined: Aug 30th, '05, 15:16

Post by auroragb » Feb 22nd, '07, 22:40

_iris wrote:Ah..I see yamcha is foraying into the forum of spammeh using poems xD

Here is a taiwan slang word: 恰北北

Have no idea what it means! My suspicions are that it's something to do with a spoiled child? Anyone?
it means that a person has a bad temper
Jdrama Chinese fansub index 2006 | 2007

_iris
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 72
Joined: Dec 17th, '06, 11:09

Post by _iris » Feb 22nd, '07, 22:51

auroragb wrote:
_iris wrote:Ah..I see yamcha is foraying into the forum of spammeh using poems xD

Here is a taiwan slang word: 恰北北

Have no idea what it means! My suspicions are that it's something to do with a spoiled child? Anyone?
it means that a person has a bad temper
Thank you auroragb =)

_iris
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 72
Joined: Dec 17th, '06, 11:09

Post by _iris » Mar 8th, '07, 09:46

A common term used in the historical/wuxia dramas is 江湖 (jiang1 hu2). What is a suitable word to describe this? From what I've seen the word in context, it's used to describe a world in which contain people who fight/swordsmanship/power in general.

User avatar
acemaverick
Posts: 178
Joined: Apr 7th, '06, 16:34
Location: singapore

Post by acemaverick » Mar 8th, '07, 10:29

_iris wrote:
iloveKJH wrote:ni hao! although im not Chinese, i love watching Cdramas!!! im currently obsessed wit it ryt now..esp Taiwanese dramas! i just wanna ask, is it chinese they're using in taiwanese drama?
They use Mandarin in Taiwanese drama~ At least the mainstream ones. I've heard some regional dialect of "Taiwanese" on KO One and I'm sure on other Taiwanese shows too.
i think it is known as min nan yu.
in china i think the dialact is called fu jian.
there is a localize version in singapore called hokkien.
differences here and there, but i think if a person who understands hokkien goes to taiwan and hear them speak min nan yu, i think can understand 90%.
but some min nan yu phrases, you must live in tw to understand.

i can understand majority and can speak a little. lucky for me, i go to my grandma house after sch, she looks after me since a baby, since she doesn't speak chinese, i have no choice but to learn hokkien. and for that, i am thankful, at least i don't lose all my roots.
i can understand teochew (chauo zhuo) and hainanese(hai nan) too but sadly, can't speak. cos my other grandparents can speak chinese. they only speak dialect to relatives.

oops too much family history, hehe, sorry :unsure:

User avatar
acemaverick
Posts: 178
Joined: Apr 7th, '06, 16:34
Location: singapore

Post by acemaverick » Mar 8th, '07, 10:32

_iris wrote:A common term used in the historical/wuxia dramas is 江湖 (jiang1 hu2). What is a suitable word to describe this? From what I've seen the word in context, it's used to describe a world in which contain people who fight/swordsmanship/power in general.
iris, in singapore it is subbed to
pugilistic world.
i hope it helps :thumright:

_iris
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 72
Joined: Dec 17th, '06, 11:09

Post by _iris » Mar 8th, '07, 10:43

acemaverick wrote:
_iris wrote:A common term used in the historical/wuxia dramas is 江湖 (jiang1 hu2). What is a suitable word to describe this? From what I've seen the word in context, it's used to describe a world in which contain people who fight/swordsmanship/power in general.
iris, in singapore it is subbed to
pugilistic world.
i hope it helps :thumright:
Is there any alternative? LOL, because for me, if I saw that english word, I'd never put it in that context. When I look it up, puglism means The skill, practice, and sport of fighting with the fists; boxing. Thanks for the vocab =)

User avatar
acemaverick
Posts: 178
Joined: Apr 7th, '06, 16:34
Location: singapore

Post by acemaverick » Mar 8th, '07, 10:57

oh, haha, you are welcome but my english language is not that powerful, limited vocab. that was what i learned on tv. but i hope you find another alternative, what you sub it as?

gixo
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 728
Joined: Jan 10th, '06, 01:22

Post by gixo » Mar 8th, '07, 12:11

acemaverick wrote: i think it is known as min nan yu.
in china i think the dialact is called fu jian.
there is a localize version in singapore called hokkien.
differences here and there, but i think if a person who understands hokkien goes to taiwan and hear them speak min nan yu, i think can understand 90%.
but some min nan yu phrases, you must live in tw to understand.
I didn't know that there are people in singapore who uses hokkien. But yesterday I watched a Singapore movie (I not Stupid) and found it so interesting that they were using Chinese, hokkien and English all together. Luckily I understand min nan hua so I could understand the whole movie though there are slight differences and the ENglish were hard to follow sometimes but still I was so surprised to hear hokkien dialect. So you guys in Singapore also uses hokkien besides Chinese, English and Malaysian?

jcweex
Posts: 32
Joined: May 22nd, '05, 05:52

Post by jcweex » Mar 8th, '07, 12:25

江湖 If used to describe a person, I think it means vagabond / itinerant.

User avatar
furelise
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 346
Joined: Feb 1st, '06, 06:58

Post by furelise » Mar 8th, '07, 13:07

_iris wrote:A common term used in the historical/wuxia dramas is 江湖 (jiang1 hu2). What is a suitable word to describe this? From what I've seen the word in context, it's used to describe a world in which contain people who fight/swordsmanship/power in general.
i'm interested to know the appropriate translation for the term too. according to my dad, 江湖 is equivalent to the term 社会 we use today. in wuxia novels/dramas, u don't hear people using the modern term 社会. i would say 江湖 meant the society in general, not just limited to the swords-fighting people.

gixo: wow..am surprised that you actually caught "I Not Stupid" all the way in Germany.. and i'm glad that you understood the movie with the assortment of languages and dialects thrown in :lol the reason being in singapore, the ethnic chinese belong to different dialect groups such as Hokkien (Min Nan Yu in Taiwan), Teochew, Cantonese, Hainanese etc. usually elderly folks can speak their own dialect although the same cannot be said for the young people. most of the young people speak english because it is widely used everywhere (although the english spoken may sound weird to unaccustomed ears.. hence the term Singlish). as for the malay language, it is spoken by the ethnic malays although most singaporeans (whether chinese or indians) are able to use a few common Malay phrases.
ImageImage

gixo
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 728
Joined: Jan 10th, '06, 01:22

Post by gixo » Mar 9th, '07, 15:51

furelise wrote: gixo: wow..am surprised that you actually caught "I Not Stupid" all the way in Germany.. and i'm glad that you understood the movie with the assortment of languages and dialects thrown in :lol the reason being in singapore, the ethnic chinese belong to different dialect groups such as Hokkien (Min Nan Yu in Taiwan), Teochew, Cantonese, Hainanese etc. usually elderly folks can speak their own dialect although the same cannot be said for the young people. most of the young people speak english because it is widely used everywhere (although the english spoken may sound weird to unaccustomed ears.. hence the term Singlish). as for the malay language, it is spoken by the ethnic malays although most singaporeans (whether chinese or indians) are able to use a few common Malay phrases.
hehe, it was my first Singaporean movie which I watched in original tone ever. And I thought it was so interesting. Trying to get my hand on "I Not Stupid Too" now. Hopefully it is as enjoyable as the first one. Yeah, it took me a while to get used to Singlish. My mom just visited Singapore and she told me that she was surprised when she realized that not only people with Chinese inheritage but also people with Malaysian background were able to speak Chinese. I think that's pretty interesting. Which language do you use in school? Chinese, English, Malaysian?

User avatar
furelise
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 346
Joined: Feb 1st, '06, 06:58

Post by furelise » Mar 9th, '07, 16:22

gixo wrote: hehe, it was my first Singaporean movie which I watched in original tone ever. And I thought it was so interesting. Trying to get my hand on "I Not Stupid Too" now. Hopefully it is as enjoyable as the first one. Yeah, it took me a while to get used to Singlish. My mom just visited Singapore and she told me that she was surprised when she realized that not only people with Chinese inheritage but also people with Malaysian background were able to speak Chinese. I think that's pretty interesting. Which language do you use in school? Chinese, English, Malaysian?
in schools, all kids have to learn English as it is also the language used to teach other subjects like Mathemathics, History etc. besides english, students also have to study a second language.. and usually the ethnic chinese will pick chinese, malays will pick malay language, indians will pick tamil etc. because more emphasis is placed on learning english, you will find that alot of singaporeans can't speak or write mandarin as well as say, taiwanese people.

it is not surprising that a malay or indian singaporean can speak some basic mandarin, because the majority of singaporeans are chinese so they would probably have picked it up from hanging out with their chinese friends or from watching chinese tv shows. in fact, i know of some indians who can actually speak hokkien so fluently they amaze me :D
ImageImage

User avatar
altessa
Posts: 52
Joined: Jan 15th, '07, 03:41
Contact:

Post by altessa » Mar 13th, '07, 11:52

There's a cashier at the supermarket near my house who's Malay and she speaks fluent Chinese! I was quite surprised when I went to pay for my groceries. :)

wni_izzati
Posts: 36
Joined: Nov 15th, '05, 15:55
Location: Kota Bharu
Contact:

Post by wni_izzati » Mar 21st, '07, 01:26

hi there

i`m looking for seperate chinese subtitles for SKY aka DEAR HEAVEN 天可怜见

in torrent or clubbox or rar or attachment !

]i`m not chinese n i don`t speak chinese..

but i have a software to translate them later !
i have had some SKY dramas.. but with chinese hardsubbed... so now, :rolleyes: i`m going to find the seperate chinese subtitle... :blush:

can u search for me ...

i had made many searching but understand nothing...

can u ask u`r friends too...if u don`t mind !

tq
Last edited by wni_izzati on Aug 22nd, '14, 06:33, edited 2 times in total.

auroragb
Posts: 1138
Joined: Aug 30th, '05, 15:16

Post by auroragb » Mar 21st, '07, 04:50

No chinese drama I'm aware of has Chinese softsub
Jdrama Chinese fansub index 2006 | 2007

Ueda Jiro
Fansubber
Fansubber
Posts: 300
Joined: Nov 10th, '05, 10:50

Post by Ueda Jiro » Mar 21st, '07, 05:00

Using softwares/programs to translate subtitles is a bad idea.

User avatar
habukie
AiRen
AiRen
Posts: 1362
Joined: Mar 1st, '04, 21:42
Location: away

Post by habukie » Mar 21st, '07, 05:06

i doubt you'll find soft subs for this drama. since you posted in the kdrama section as well, i'm guessing that this is a kdrama, right? so far, there is only one drama that i know of (Full House) that has Chinese soft subs available. most are hardsubbed only. and as Ueda Jiro mentioned, you might want to think twice about using software to translate chinese... most have pretty bad results. (take a look at the hardsubs for Love Storm... :-) )

Pata
Posts: 3
Joined: Mar 2nd, '07, 16:41
Location: Sacramento, CA

Post by Pata » Mar 22nd, '07, 15:42

Wow......there are nice people in here??? I'm so happy.....I'm not chinese but love to meet them and omg....love their movies too.....I love what different kind of movies and other Asian movies......by the way I'm Pata Yang.....I'm a hmong girl....ehehehehe...I guess I'm the only hmong in here right???eheheheeh

daydreamer000
Posts: 1
Joined: Mar 28th, '07, 04:05

Post by daydreamer000 » Mar 28th, '07, 04:38

hi;
i'm a real Chinese and my native language is Chinese. :P i understand English but i can't speak very well. i love watching tvb series very much i know most of u guys are English speakers so i hope i can get help with my english, and if u guys have any questions i Will be very happy to help u too.

if my words sound weird or funny don't laugh at me....

nice to see you guys 8)

anythingthatrhymes
Posts: 48
Joined: May 6th, '07, 17:50

Post by anythingthatrhymes » May 6th, '07, 20:33

大家好! 我叫林婵.I'm new here. So..hi.
我是从福周来美国的。 我想一天去台湾学习中文。
Anyone else from FuZhou?

auroragb
Posts: 1138
Joined: Aug 30th, '05, 15:16

Post by auroragb » May 7th, '07, 14:52

Eh? Why do need to go to Tw to learn chinese when you already know it??
Jdrama Chinese fansub index 2006 | 2007

anythingthatrhymes
Posts: 48
Joined: May 6th, '07, 17:50

Post by anythingthatrhymes » May 8th, '07, 00:36

My mandarin is conversational and my writing is probably equivalent to ...4th graders in taiwan.
I just want to study abroad and learn chinese while im at it. Plus, it's so close to Fuzhou.

crazy_crazy
Posts: 8
Joined: Jan 9th, '06, 01:33

Post by crazy_crazy » May 8th, '07, 02:49

daydreamer000 wrote:hi;
i'm a real Chinese and my native language is Chinese. :P i understand English but i can't speak very well. i love watching tvb series very much i know most of u guys are English speakers so i hope i can get help with my english, and if u guys have any questions i Will be very happy to help u too.

if my words sound weird or funny don't laugh at me....

nice to see you guys 8)
hello and welcome 2 d addicts

u girl aor boy

same here im chinese :)

nice to meet u :P

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest