Vietnamese D-Addicts

speak whatever language you like here.
~shinigami~

Post by ~shinigami~ » Nov 8th, '05, 05:46

hey guys,

I just discovered this thread. Well I was born in Australia and can speak/understand viet but can't read it unless I try really hard and I have an idea of what's it about in the first place. I'm going to HK and Vietnam in two weeks.

Summer*

Post by Summer* » Nov 8th, '05, 21:31

Shinigami: that's so cool .. I always wanted to go to HK .. you should take pictures and post it on later for us.

Where are you from in VN? .. I been back before but I didn't really have a chance to have much fun ..
Oh, you must try the food and fruits too .. they are the best .. ..

Have fun !!

flynvballer

Post by flynvballer » Nov 8th, '05, 21:43

I was born in hong kong now living in canada. My vietnamese is as poor as my french, but i know my vietnamese food names by heart cuz i have a restaurant.
I dont want to ever go back to vietnam cuz the last time i went there i had urgent diarhea for a month... i would take craps 4 times in an hour, and i had to do it while sitting on the ledge of a boat...

i dunno about the vietnamese ppl where u guys live but a lot of vietnamese ppl where i live are in the ILLEGAL business lol... mostly drug dealing and grow ops. And then i had to grow up with their gangster vietnamese kids who dress all in black and dye their hair yellow starting sh*t for no reason, squat by doors staring ppl down, saying du ma dit ma blah blah non stop lol... why am i ranting? i dunno we have so many of those types of viet ppl here that i feel embarassed when ppl ask what nationality i am. "Oh im viet.... but dont worry i aint gangster"

surrealistic-destiny

Post by surrealistic-destiny » Nov 9th, '05, 02:13

Hey guys,

*nervous* I just discovered this thread while browsing for subtitles. I was born in Australia but I can speak and write Vietnamese. *well I should since I'm studying it for my VCE* <<;;

Haven't been to Vietnam but I'm not sure if I want to go back. Don;t get me wrong its just I wouldn't be alble to stand the weather since I can't even surive in Australia summers :cry:

flynvballer wrote: i dunno about the vietnamese ppl where u guys live but a lot of vietnamese ppl where i live are in the ILLEGAL business lol... mostly drug dealing and grow ops. And then i had to grow up with their gangster vietnamese kids who dress all in black and dye their hair yellow starting sh*t for no reason, squat by doors staring ppl down, saying du ma dit ma blah blah non stop lol... why am i ranting? i dunno we have so many of those types of viet ppl here that i feel embarassed when ppl ask what nationality i am. "Oh im viet.... but dont worry i aint gangster"
Yea, I got a similar situation where I live.^^;; The community I live in is basically filled with Vietnamese so, there's always at least one or two gangsters hanging around. Illegal huh? how about pirated copies? Thats some of the activites I know of.. Many people automatically assume I'm Chinese.

flynvballer

Post by flynvballer » Nov 9th, '05, 04:33

surrealistic-destiny wrote:Hey guys,

*nervous* I just discovered this thread while browsing for subtitles. I was born in Australia but I can speak and write Vietnamese. *well I should since I'm studying it for my VCE* <<;;

Haven't been to Vietnam but I'm not sure if I want to go back. Don;t get me wrong its just I wouldn't be alble to stand the weather since I can't even surive in Australia summers :cry:

flynvballer wrote: i dunno about the vietnamese ppl where u guys live but a lot of vietnamese ppl where i live are in the ILLEGAL business lol... mostly drug dealing and grow ops. And then i had to grow up with their gangster vietnamese kids who dress all in black and dye their hair yellow starting sh*t for no reason, squat by doors staring ppl down, saying du ma dit ma blah blah non stop lol... why am i ranting? i dunno we have so many of those types of viet ppl here that i feel embarassed when ppl ask what nationality i am. "Oh im viet.... but dont worry i aint gangster"
Yea, I got a similar situation where I live.^^;; The community I live in is basically filled with Vietnamese so, there's always at least one or two gangsters hanging around. Illegal huh? how about pirated copies? Thats some of the activites I know of.. Many people automatically assume I'm Chinese.
ppl say i look a lot more chinese than viet, dats a compliment +), even better if they say i look korean lol. but yeah most vietnamese ppl here know chinese so we can pull it off. I'd love to meet an asian australian with an australian accent, c''est sexy

~shinigami~

Post by ~shinigami~ » Nov 9th, '05, 05:50

Summer* wrote:Shinigami: that's so cool .. I always wanted to go to HK .. you should take
pictures and post it on later for us. Where are you from in VN? .. I been back before but I didn't really have a chance to have much fun .. Oh, you must try the food and fruits too .. they are the best .. .. Have fun !!
:-) I'll try and take some photos.

K.T.Tran

Post by K.T.Tran » Nov 9th, '05, 07:49

flynvballer wrote: And then i had to grow up with their gangster vietnamese kids who dress all in black and dye their hair yellow starting sh*t for no reason, squat by doors staring ppl down, saying du ma dit ma blah blah non stop lol...
i dunno we have so many of those types of viet ppl here that i feel embarassed when ppl ask what nationality i am. "Oh im viet.... but dont worry i aint gangster"
I haven't seen any of these type of Vietnamese people where I live :mrgreen:
I see them Wanna be gangsters though. They look funny and walk funny :lol

No need to feel embarass yo.

flynvballer

Post by flynvballer » Nov 9th, '05, 21:54

Mr Tran I see that you're from san jose, and yeah around the bay area i dont see those types of "hardcore" vietnamese dudes that we see up here. I have tons tons of relatives in the bay area in the OC. The ones in the bay area, almost all of my male cuzins are nigga washed.... they dress so thugged out and talk like a black person. Some of them even look latino when they grow their goti (<---spelling?) but yeah vietnamese americans and vietnamese canadians are different. There's a bad side to both. The ones in the OC are normal tho, normal white washed asians just like me.

K.T.Tran

Post by K.T.Tran » Nov 10th, '05, 06:35

flynvballer wrote:Mr Tran I see that you're from san jose, and yeah around the bay area i dont see those types of "hardcore" vietnamese dudes that we see up here. I have tons tons of relatives in the bay area in the OC. The ones in the bay area, almost all of my male cuzins are nigga washed.... they dress so thugged out and talk like a black person. Some of them even look latino when they grow their goti (<---spelling?) but yeah vietnamese americans and vietnamese canadians are different. There's a bad side to both. The ones in the OC are normal tho, normal white washed asians just like me.
"Mr Tran"<---makes me sound old :roll :lol
Yea....definately not a lot of "hardcore" ones here. I hear the ones down south in L.A are worse :crazy:
Thats about right...they weither white washed or "black soaked"<---thats what i say.
I don't think i'm either :mrgreen:
I haven't ran into a Vietnamese Canadian in person yet. Kinda wanna now and see how different they are :mrgreen:

flynvballer

Post by flynvballer » Nov 10th, '05, 07:13

see that we're both addicts of some sort to dramas i assume we're not that much different. But i can definitely tell the difference in LOOKS from an American and a Canadian. I have a vietnamese restaurants and during the summer I can tell who is on vacation from america, i can even tell the difference between Washington/texas/california americans... u guy shave ur own distinct vietnamese LOOK. and the way u guys talk totally gives it away, totally different accent if its not thugged out talk lol... but then u probably think us canadians talk weird eh? <------------

K.T.Tran

Post by K.T.Tran » Nov 10th, '05, 07:29

flynvballer wrote:see that we're both addicts of some sort to dramas i assume we're not that much different. But i can definitely tell the difference in LOOKS from an American and a Canadian. I have a vietnamese restaurants and during the summer I can tell who is on vacation from america, i can even tell the difference between Washington/texas/california americans... u guy shave ur own distinct vietnamese LOOK. and the way u guys talk totally gives it away, totally different accent if its not thugged out talk lol... but then u probably think us canadians talk weird eh? <------------
Nice!!!!!! your family got a restuarant.
Same here....though I don't go out there enough or stay long enough to tell whose from where or what type of Vietnamese they are.

You got good eyes and can see the smallest of details that makes all the differece...SUGOI!!!! :thumright:

Don't even know how a canadian sound when they talk :unsure:

surrealistic-destiny

Post by surrealistic-destiny » Nov 10th, '05, 10:43

flynvballer wrote: ppl say i look a lot more chinese than viet, dats a compliment +), even better if they say i look korean lol. but yeah most vietnamese ppl here know chinese so we can pull it off. I'd love to meet an asian australian with an australian accent, c''est sexy
Korean guys are nice ^___^ so is Japanese

thats neat, you got a restaurant. It must mean then you can cook? Can't cook to save my life well...apart from the basics.

Accent? *thoughtful* I never realised since I think American is more sharper. Then again I would think Canadian and American accents would be similar. Can you really tell the difference between different Vietnamese? Thats pretty good, I can only tell depending on thier accents if thier from the north, south or middle. <<;;

Ahh, I nearly forgot. What dramas are you guys currently watching?
Um, and I was also wondering does anyone here listen to Vietnamese music?

flynvballer

Post by flynvballer » Nov 11th, '05, 01:20

yea we have a restaurant, been working there since 1999, im a pro waiter and cook now LOL. But I also have a normal job so im not just some kid who works for his parents. obviously texans tend to be darker and they have a certain hair cut thats sorta a trend with them, the way they dress too is noticable as well as their western accent.
washington ppl i dunno why but they talk like red necks, well my cuzins do. they play football while i play hockey lol o... americans..

australians have a better accent than british cuz british ppl ... their english is like english from hell... no idea what they are saying.....
wuld any of u australians wanna google talk with me? i wanna hear ur sexah accents. lol
and vietnamese music = teh sux0rz (i have bad viet so me no understand)

currently watching Only You...but i have tons have dramas im in the middle of watching but waiting for subs which i thank u fan subbers for btw.

~shinigami~

Post by ~shinigami~ » Nov 11th, '05, 02:37

flynvballer wrote:australians have a better accent than british cuz british ppl ... their english is like english from hell... no idea what they are saying..... wuld any of u australians wanna google talk with me? i wanna hear ur sexah accents. lol and vietnamese music = teh sux0rz (i have bad viet so me no understand)
Yeah, our accents are freakin' sexy.

K.T.Tran

Post by K.T.Tran » Nov 11th, '05, 09:03

@flynvballer:NICE!!!! Girls likes guys who can cook :mrgreen: They do.....right?? :unsure:

@surrealistic-destiny: I can't listen to vietnamese music....a good majority of them suck. I was at my friend's house one day because my brother had to do a project or something and she played a disk that was somewhat like Paris By Night and Asia.....but wasn't those two. I remember laughing at those guys who were tryin to be like BSB or N'sync....umm.....I remember one guy was singing in English, Vietnamese and Japanese (all 3 in one song. Rapping too if I remember right)<----this i thought was pretty cool :mrgreen:
But yea.....a good majority of the vietnamese singers I think can't sing and when they try to sing like Americans they suck at it :roll

My opinion

surrealistic-destiny

Post by surrealistic-destiny » Nov 11th, '05, 10:33

k.t.tran : yeah, I guess many girls like guys who can cook since it would save them having to it all the time XDDDDDDDDDDDDD I have to agree with you about that. I mean in terms of Vietnamese boy bands.>__< Have you every heard of VPOP? omg...that band makes me cringe. But solo artists are good. I mean I'm listening to Van Quang Long at the moment which is suprising since I tend to listen to Japanese music.

shinigami really? Our accents? *happy there's another Australia, since now won't feel so out of place* British accents are okay but they sound as if thier looking down on you. I don't know why..but I get that sense. But nonethless they are cool IF you get used to it.

flynvballer: thats neat. a guy who can cook. the only thing my brother can make is 2 minute noodles.hmmm.. don't worry, I don't understand much Vietnamese either which is kinda bad since I got an exam in Vietnamese soon.[/b]

flynvballer

Post by flynvballer » Nov 11th, '05, 12:04

back in highschool, like in grade 11 and 12 me and my friends formed a volleyball club team. We compete against usually white guys and my team was an all asian guys team since its my buddies. DUring practices we always pump up the vietnamese rap in the background while we play and everyone would try to rap in viet and do the vietnamese strut after a nice play.. the funny thing is im the only vietnamese guy on the team and everyone else is chinese. Those fags... lol
"its the vietnamese gang that i bang with ride with the same ...???"

Usually at my restaurant only me and my 2 sisters work there with our parents and one other lady we hire but one of my sisters is a COP now ... LOL! yes u heard rite and the other one went to become a doctor somewhere in the Caribbean, so we hired a vietnamse girl from australia. I ask her so many things about australia and such but she's such a fob still since she came form vietnam recently.

um.. i think vietnamese music in general is HELL to my ears... i cant bear it... man vietnamese karaokee... oooo gawd.....

when i was younger its always... John be quiet the baby is sleeping (my lil sister) and then after that say that, they would pump up the vietnamese karaokee full blast.. like wtf... anwyays yeah...

K.T.Tran

Post by K.T.Tran » Nov 11th, '05, 17:07

flynvballer wrote: um.. i think vietnamese music in general is HELL to my ears... i cant bear it... man vietnamese karaokee... oooo gawd.....

when i was younger its always... John be quiet the baby is sleeping (my lil sister) and then after that say that, they would pump up the vietnamese karaokee full blast.. like wtf... anwyays yeah...
HAHAHAHA Vietnamese karaokee :lol
reminds me of that old van son tape I watched. Funny Funny :lol

Yea...for some reason, Vietnamese people love to turn the volume up way high when they sing karaokee, even when they sound horrible, they turn loud enough for the whole neighborhood to hear :crazy:

NanYueh

Post by NanYueh » Nov 11th, '05, 19:21

Alright, we've all acknowledged the fact that there's a thriving Viet community out there that loves Asian dramas. And on the topic of dramas, why aren't there any Viet dramas available on D-Addicts? The only dramas I've seen are mostly horribly dubbed Chinese ones. But then again, the real Vietnamese dramas on VTV & HTV channels aren't any better. They are so bad that the locals don't even watch them and instead, they turn to Korean or Chinese ones that come with better story lines.

And don't give me the old excuse that "Vietnam is a poor country"...land prices in Saigon are more expensive than a lot of the US cities. And the excuse that "Vietnam is just recuperating from a war" is baloney. It's already been 30 years! South Korea was in a war and they have a much smaller population than Vietnam, but now they have advanced so much in areas of technology, movie production, etc...

No more excuses, Viet people! It's time to show the rest of Asia the best of our popular culture. Remember, we are a strong people with a long history dating back centuries when our ancestors drove out the Mongol invaders. A history that includes a long lineage of emperors, heroes and heroines.

wachi

Post by wachi » Nov 11th, '05, 19:31

^ Have you actually watched any of those Viet dramas before? There is a reason why they aren't many on the web. No rippers & they are not available on tapes over here.. at least where I live. To be honest, the only Viet dramas I ever heard or watch of is CAI LUONG. There are movies, but not sure if there are a lot of dramas.

Karaoke is like a tradition among Asian folks. Not many can sing that good, if they can, they would be on Van Son, Thuy Nga, or Asia already. It doesn't matter if you can sing or not, we do it because it's FUN. I don't have a problem with Viet music, I listen to it occassionally, hell, I even like country music & cai luong.

M-Twins

Post by M-Twins » Nov 11th, '05, 22:30

I'm Vietnamese, too. I don't like V-pop band. It make me sick when I see it in TV ....They're so ugly and don't know how to dance .. I don't know how long they can dance great like Korean or Japanese ?????

surrealistic-destiny

Post by surrealistic-destiny » Nov 12th, '05, 00:45

M-Twins i agree. *nods* It kinda makes you wish why don't we have better boy bands? Or at least something that doesn't make you want to laugh?

Karaoke..hmm. Yeah, its a tradition allright. I mean i can still remember whenever my dad gets drunk with his friends they end up singing to karaoke...not a pretty sight.. with the sound put up..and this is at 1 or 2am in the morning :pale:

wachi thats neat then, your the only person I "know" that actually likes Vietnamese music, well apart from my sister and parents but thats 'sides the point. My parents loved cai luong though.

flynvballer thats neat. My cousin is a cop too. while my brother is a security guard. So then you have more Chinese friends then Viet? I do.

NanYueh true. but I guess Vietnamese dramas aren't as popular. I mean my parents tend to watch Vietnamese dubbed Chinese movies. *shudders* the voices sound all the same after you watch alot of them. Oh! Have you ever heard of this Vietnamese drama..well not sure if its a drama but its called Co Lai Taxi.

flynvballer

Post by flynvballer » Nov 12th, '05, 01:02

about viet dubbed chinese movies......those are the worst...
yes they have the same voice in every movie...
i hate the kids they all have this really annoying high pitched voice, and during a fight or scene with a big crowd, the background noise of the crowd is always the same in every movie.... i think they use the same recording ... i hope u guys understand what im talking about. And one big reason i hate dubbed movies is that... i just realized this not long ago.... but everytime someone talks, every NOISE in the background stops .... if u guys paid attention its really annoying cuz the music in the background puts u in the mood to whats happening but its muted everytime someone talks...

the one big reason why vietnam isnt like korean or japan or hong kong is because after the vietnam war, the north vietnamese won and they were communist....
if the south won with the help of the americans they would have been a democratic country instead just like the SOUTH koreans and we maybe would have been in the same technology state as they are....
Hong kong is a lot more advanced than most of the rest of china was because it was owned by the UK thats why they are moore civilized..

and i hate CA LEONG.... however u spell it....gawd its so bad.... its vietnamese operah , gawd i hate when they start singing....and yeah i duno why they always resing american music iin paris by night and such.... its not bad since they always have hot chicks in the background....but some of the singers besides the young ones are older looking milf's with a lot of make up and great bodies lol...

sounds like i hate a lot of things...

tobikko

Post by tobikko » Nov 12th, '05, 01:08

wat's up im viet!
and new too! :D
i was born in vn and had live for 14 yrs. now im USA.
glad to know there are vietnanmese in here too! :D

wachi

Post by wachi » Nov 12th, '05, 01:19

flynvballer: It also seems like you're not really Viet either. Well, I don't hate half of the things you hate, but I guess I know what you mean. TVB Viet dubbed are actually not as bad as China or TW Viet dubbed, their voices don't match their characters. Viet dubbed dramas are more enjoyable by our parents because they understand it better, but us, we know better.

Though I don't hate Viet music, dubbed dramas, etc, I don't really pay attention to them that much. I actually enjoy jdrama & jmusic more.

Karaoke is fine, long as they don't blast it 2 am in the morning or something.

surrealistic-destiny

Post by surrealistic-destiny » Nov 12th, '05, 01:41

hi tobikko! Whoa. everyone is in the US here

wachi: yeah, thats true, I prefer to listen to jpop and watch jdramas. Well I think its the first time that I haven't seen anime for a long time. Yeah, our parents do enjoy it more then us but then when I was younger I used to enjoy watching them too.

karaoke...yes..^^;;

Yeah, since Vietnam is a communtist country it should be expected. The sad thing is most of the older generation, ie our parents are still angry about the vc. True, i understand the anger, whats the point of holding it since it won't do you any good? Its like my friend Thu who commented during Viet class people are just afraid of letting go. she ended up saying more but i won't write since it might offend some people here opps ranting here,,,I think I just got off the topic...

[/b]

wachi

Post by wachi » Nov 12th, '05, 03:08

^ You have a Viet class in school? Or do you mean your friend spoke out in front of a classroom full of Viet people? I wish I have a Viet club here in college, we used to, but they're so inactive & not enough members, which is weird because there are like over 100 folks registered there.

I used to be addicted to anime, but since I found jdrama, I'm behind on so many animes... especially long anime like Naruto, Prince of Tennis, Bleach, etc. Dunno why, but I love Yakitate!! Japan. An anime about bread, who knew it can be so entertaining.

flynvballer

Post by flynvballer » Nov 12th, '05, 06:14

im definitely viet wachi, but yeah born in hong kong raised in Canada i dont value my roots as much as some ppl. but i always swear in viet when im playing sports but for the fun of it lol.. du ma!! shiet mang , i try to sound like a fob its awsome.

Yea older viet ppl love all things vietnamese no matter how boring it is. If the 11 oclock news was talking about viet ppl they would glue their faces to the TV, just the same as chinese ppl, everytime im at my friend's house when i was younger his parents and grandma were always watching the chinese channel... and there are only 2 channels but thats the only channel they watch no matter what time it is no matter what is on they would only watch those 2 channels.

and yeah i watch a lot of japanese anime too.. but not much recently since i work full time but before when i was in school i would watch as much as i can. ANd i've seen all the ones that u've mentioned wachi. The japanese pPL are great in making anything enjoyable to watch. I can imagine how bread can be so entertaining. I never watch anymore regular english TV shows anymore it doesnt get me emotionally into it as much as asian drama.

usyagitntn

Post by usyagitntn » Nov 12th, '05, 06:32

I love anime too but after finding out that asian drama especially jdramas are way more enjoyable( in a way, may be I watched anime too much and got bored because I often know the stuffs that are gonna happen in a anime) I haven't been keeping track and downloading all the new anime that are coming out. May be I should start watching anime again if I have time to finish all the dramas that I'm downloading now :roll :P ( too many things to watch but I have no time T______T)

wachi

Post by wachi » Nov 12th, '05, 06:55

^ I so understand your pain, I'm behind like around 100 episodes, thank god for IRC bots. I hate BT with a passion sometimes. And there are a few new animes out also, I mean, so many to keep up with when you forgot about for a few months. haha

Another thing my parents are obsessed with, SOCCER! They have this digital box with one channel on it that shows SOCCER matches 24/7, they're pratically glued to the TV. I mean I can understand my dad, but my MOM as well?! I like soccer, but not as much as them, I guess.

lksmjcnt

Post by lksmjcnt » Nov 12th, '05, 07:31

wow...i didn't know that a viet community existed here. i guess i should surf around more. i can speak, read, and listen to viet pretty well. i have the hardest time writing in viet with all the accents. i love viet food...from pho, bun bo hue, to chao long.

i caught on to the korean wave like two years ago when chinese drama started declining to me. i find that korean dramas have better plotlines than chinese dramas. i'm not saying all chinese dramas are bad...every so often there is a really good one.

anyways...i just wanted to say hi.

cuongland

Post by cuongland » Nov 12th, '05, 07:41

i'm friend, i'm nearly new member in here, i'm stay Canada, i has jst gone there. i miss Vn so much. i love Korea movie so much. Hi to meet you

-Linhi3-

Post by -Linhi3- » Nov 12th, '05, 07:49

hi people, khoe hong ba con ? anyway my name is Linh, nice to meet you all :D VIET PRIDE hehe
im so in love with korean dramas, they're exellent :D aniwai hope to know you all .

wachi

Post by wachi » Nov 12th, '05, 08:07

I think a majority of Viet prefer Korean & Chinese dramas.. of course I have said this before. Hardly anyone I know is into JDrama, which is really sad.

steffy

Post by steffy » Nov 12th, '05, 08:12

yay I'm viet too.. =)

flynvballer

Post by flynvballer » Nov 12th, '05, 10:04

many of u guys that just posted after me i realized u guys just came from vietnam recently didnt you? your english is a little off lol but its ok i understand. Just curious tho, those of u who just came from vietnam recently how long have u been here?

the first drama i've seen besides vietnamese dubbed chinese drama from long time ago was a Japanese Drama, GREAT TEACHER ONIZUKA! haha it was very good and i cried too haha but yeah i thoroughly enjoyed it. Totally different atmosphere watching japanese from korean from chinese... its amazing how different these races are....and asians have a lot more issues with PRIDE than white ppl. They dont wanna be look down on ahh anyways.

up here in canada everyone is in love with HOCKEY. Its like how crazy soccer is in other parts of the world but hockey is the big hit here in canada. ALL asian MEN love hockey, all my uncles and family friends and both my parents love hockey and they get so mad when our team loses and they scream and cheer when watching on TV. I myself love and play hockey as well.. and i believe almost ALL asian boys play hockey in canada.

tobikko

Post by tobikko » Nov 12th, '05, 18:07

here in america, ppl like sports too. they're crazy about football and baseball.
i've been here 3 yrs but i dont like any. for me shopping is #1. :D

M-Twins

Post by M-Twins » Nov 12th, '05, 18:18

hi, guys . In this web, a see a thai sub, indonesia sub .... why don't we have a viet sub ?? Do you want to make a viet sub ???^_^

tobikko

Post by tobikko » Nov 12th, '05, 18:23

too bad i dont know how to make sub.
im not veyr familiar with these things

wachi

Post by wachi » Nov 12th, '05, 18:27

Yep, Canada is famous for its hockey, big sport over there. Over here, it's all about basketball, football & baseball.

Hahah, my first JDRAMA was GTO also! I love that drama. I cried too ..so much, like on every episode, because at the end, there is always this really touching & emotional scene. My favorite scene has to be when he smashed down the wall. Shocking, I cried. :D

The thing about Viet sub is, we don't need them. Mostly all dramas have Viet dubbed for them, people see no need to sub them in Viet. They don't dubbed Jdrama though, thank god.

iLuvU4eTerniTy

I luv JDRAMA over all

Post by iLuvU4eTerniTy » Nov 12th, '05, 18:47

wachi wrote:I think a majority of Viet prefer Korean & Chinese dramas.. of course I have said this before. Hardly anyone I know is into JDrama, which is really sad.

okay korean drama has too much nonsense love stories that seems more of a fantasy or bs.... sorry thats my opinion. chineses drama has too much tears, this is from my experience. japanese drama seems the most realistic with their story lines even though it may seem ridiculous sometimes. i know i watch it and am currently living in japan .i must give credit that korean drama and chinese drama has very cute actress tho :P i am a vietnamese boat person who came to america but currently studying in japan.

okay oyasumi nasai! ima wa gozen ni ji yon jyu go fun desu. totemo nemui
:sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :sleeping: :salut: :salut:

tobikko

Re: I luv JDRAMA over all

Post by tobikko » Nov 12th, '05, 18:56

iLuvU4eTerniTy wrote:
wachi wrote:I think a majority of Viet prefer Korean & Chinese dramas.. of course I have said this before. Hardly anyone I know is into JDrama, which is really sad.

okay korean drama has too much nonsense love stories that seems more of a fantasy or bs.... sorry thats my opinion. chineses drama has too much tears, this is from my experience. japanese drama seems the most realistic with their story lines even though it may seem ridiculous sometimes. i know i watch it and am currently living in japan .i must give credit that korean drama and chinese drama has very cute actress tho :P i am a vietnamese boat person who came to america but currently studying in japan.

im curious about what that line says. can u tell me?
i really love japanese. but never seen its movie

wachi

Post by wachi » Nov 12th, '05, 19:30

You should start off by watching Jdrama then, GTO is my ALL time recommedation. The Japanese movie Ping Pong is worth a look as well. See? They even make the sport Ping Pong entertaining. Haha

I have no idea what the line said, all I understand is the first line, Good night & the last line, Very tired. I didn't know there are Zs in Japanese.

K.T.Tran

Post by K.T.Tran » Nov 12th, '05, 20:05

tobikko wrote:
iLuvU4eTerniTy wrote:

im curious about what that line says. can u tell me?
i really love japanese. but never seen its movie
That line in japanese???
All i can get out of it is "Good Night. Right now....something something 2:45. very sleepy"
I could be off. I'm taking japanese right now :mrgreen:

@iLuvU4eTerniTy: How's studying in Japan??? Fun??? I wanna study in Japan :mrgreen:

NanYueh

Post by NanYueh » Nov 12th, '05, 22:40

surrealistic-destiny: Sorry, I've never heard of Co Lai Taxi before. Is it produced in the US? Have you hear of DocTinh? It was very popular in Vietnam when it first aired.

wachi: You're totally right. VDrama's aren't readily available on DVD or CD's, so people can't rip them, so they aren't readily available on the net etc. But why is that? Could it be because Viet people prefer watching Korean or Hong Kong dramas? If that's the case, where is the market for Viet dramas then? If there's no market, who is going to distribute these DVD or CD's? Okay, I admit that the movie/drama producers are to blame as well, they aren't producing the quality that you typically see in Korean or Hong Kong drama, and thus the reason for my appeal.

flynvballer: "yea older viet ppl love all things vietnamese no matter how boring it is. If the 11 oclock news was talking about viet ppl they ".. Hey flynvballer, stop disrespecting yer elders! hehehe just joking. Y'know, older viet ppl watch it because it's something they can relate to (especially when language is a barrier) and thus find interesting. Whereas, let's take you for instance, someone who has lived in Canada for most of his life, so when you watch a dramas from heavily Western-influenced societies like Korea or Hong Kong, you can relate more to these dramas and therefore find them more interesting. N'est-ce pas?

NanYueh

Post by NanYueh » Nov 12th, '05, 23:04

iLuvU4eTerniTy wrote:
But that's the whole point when you turn on the TV: to escape into a world of fantasy. I'll take fantasy plot lines over boring, realistic ones any day. I've tried my first JDrama, "Denchi Ga Kirerumade", but couldn't finish watching the first episode. <<Terminally-ill kids in a hospital>> Guess it was too much reality for me in one day.

onizuka79

Post by onizuka79 » Nov 12th, '05, 23:44

NanYueh wrote: But that's the whole point when you turn on the TV: to escape into a world of fantasy. I'll take fantasy plot lines over boring, realistic ones any day. I've tried my first JDrama, "Denchi Ga Kirerumade", but couldn't finish watching the first episode. <<Terminally-ill kids in a hospital>> Guess it was too much reality for me in one day.
Then you shoulnt't watch this kind of drama, you'd better watch funny one like densha otoko, Gokusen, GTO or Kimi wa petto.

NanYueh

Post by NanYueh » Nov 12th, '05, 23:53

onizuka79 wrote: Then you shoulnt't watch this kind of drama, you'd better watch funny one like densha otoko, Gokusen, GTO or Kimi wa petto.
Duoc roi! I'll try those, man! But I ain't promising anything!!! I tried the first JDrama and it only left a bad taste... hehehe j/king

wachi

Post by wachi » Nov 12th, '05, 23:59

NanYueh: Your first time was a bad experience (this sound weird) haha, but I mean you just picked a bad one. You should definitely tried those jdrama recommended to you above, start with GTO. Everyone should know & watch GTO, one drama that should NOT be missed.. then work your way down, if you like that type of genre, also try GOKUSEN, Densha Otoko is VERY likeable, if you're not into sad, melodrama type, then skip Beautiful Life, Summer Snow, etc.

surrealistic-destiny

Post by surrealistic-destiny » Nov 13th, '05, 02:25

NanYueh: Really? Thats a shame. But if you ever find it, be sure to watch it its really good. DocTrinh? Um..is it by chance a a bald doctor or something? He's in comics too right?

Hahahaha that is true what you said about flynvballer. Since we are influenced after all by Western movies we tend to relate to them as opposed to our parents.

Van Son is okay, then again the only one I watched was when he was in Tokyo. apart from that, nothing.

Korean film tend to be sad, well in my experience, I mean bichumoo was one. wait I don't think I spelt that right... :blink My Sassy girl was one...Chinese is funny. Watch Love on a Diet guys! Its really good, its got Andy Lau and Sammi Cheng.

@iLuvU4eTerniTy heyy thats neat. studying in Japan. I hope to that when I go to uni, but I reckon its not till second year uni you can go to Japan ;___;

viet subbed? We could try, but my viet isn't really good. :-(

NanYueh

Post by NanYueh » Nov 13th, '05, 04:50

surrealistic-destiny wrote:Really? Thats a shame. But if you ever find it, be sure to watch it its really good. DocTrinh? Um..is it by chance a a bald doctor or something? He's in comics too right?
The title of drama is actually Do^'c Ti`nh (but some people call it "Ti`nh Ye^u Tum` Lum Tum` La" :-)). No, it doesn't have anything to do with a bald doctor, but that's a good guess. The drama has approximately 20-25 ep's (I can't remember the exact number) and it was filmed in beautiful Da Lat. It has similar elements that you usually find in most Korean dramas: love triangles, parents' disapproval of their son's or daughter's relationship choices, the cute girl deciding which guy to pick, etc..

BTW, cool nick.

wachi

Post by wachi » Nov 13th, '05, 05:19

surrealistic-destiny wrote:viet subbed? We could try, but my viet isn't really good. :-(
Have you actually read what have been discussing about this? I think it's a waste of time, but if people want to, doesn't matter much to me.

K.T.Tran

Post by K.T.Tran » Nov 13th, '05, 06:08

surrealistic-destiny wrote: Korean film tend to be sad, well in my experience, I mean bichumoo was one. wait I don't think I spelt that right... :blink My Sassy girl was one...Chinese is funny. Watch Love on a Diet guys! Its really good, its got Andy Lau and Sammi Cheng.
I have both My Sassy Girl and Love on a Diet :mrgreen:

Sassy Girl is really funny....a bit sad, but not as sad as Windstruck.

Love on a Diet sooo funny, but its good to watch like twice, then its not as funny anymore :roll

Another funny Chinese movie is Tricky Brain. Its got Andy Lau, Stephen Chow, and that old man guy who plays as the coach in Shaolin Soccer, I can't remember his name. Its really funny. Try it :mrgreen:

flynvballer

Post by flynvballer » Nov 13th, '05, 08:30

this thread is gonna go on forever i luv it lol.

Um.... I think iLuvU4eTerniTy has the phrase of the day. "I am a vietnamese boat person" lol i dunno why but thats exactly what a FOB (no offense) would say. =)

and yeah i suppose our parents dont give a crap about whats going on with white ppl and its more enjoyable for them to see ppl of their own race.
Nanyueh said something about me like watching korean and hong kong movies cuz im into westernized stuff compare to vietnamese weird stuff. If thats the case I dunno what you call those olden times movies... how do u say it in viet, Kiem Heep??

anyways yeah vietnamese people are somewhat very similar to THAI people... i dunno if thai people are MORE westernized than us or not but they've got a lot of very good horror and action movies out there. Why cant the vietnamese people do that?

I want to see some movie where a vietnamese guy from a village comes out of nowhere and kick everyone's ass..
Vietnamese people are only portrayed in westernized movies as part of some gang... but its somewhat true since vietnamese people are known as a huge part of the illegal underground crime world... in north america that is. Other times are during war movies....RAMBO anyone?? dit ma!! haha luv it

flynvballer

Post by flynvballer » Nov 13th, '05, 08:35

flynvballer wrote:this thread is gonna go on forever i luv it lol.

Um.... I think iLuvU4eTerniTy has the phrase of the day. "I am a vietnamese boat person" lol thats exactly what a FOB (no offense) would say. =)

and yeah i suppose our parents dont give a crap about whats going on with white ppl and its more enjoyable for them to see ppl of their own race.
Nanyueh said something about me like watching korean and hong kong movies cuz im into westernized stuff compare to vietnamese weird stuff. If thats the case I dunno what you call those olden times movies... how do u say it in viet, Kiem Heep??

anyways yeah vietnamese people are somewhat very similar to THAI people... i dunno if thai people are MORE westernized than us or not but they've got a lot of very good horror and action movies out there. Why cant the vietnamese people do that?

I want to see some movie where a vietnamese guy from a village comes out of nowhere and kick everyone's ass..
Vietnamese people are only portrayed in westernized movies as part of some gang... but its somewhat true since vietnamese people are known as a huge part of the illegal underground crime world... in north america that is. Other times are during war movies....RAMBO anyone?? dit ma!! haha luv it

wachi

Post by wachi » Nov 14th, '05, 01:45

Why are you quoting your own post? Was it so precious?

NanYueh

Differences between you and your Vietnamese parent

Post by NanYueh » Nov 14th, '05, 05:59

flynvballer, this debate could go on and on. All I'm saying is: personal viewing preferences may be related to a number of factors such as personal experiences, language and culture.

Your parents may find that cai luong/viet drama INTERESTING because:
1. The scenery may be familiar to them. It's about a place where they're all too familiar with: bamboo trees, rice fields, Mekong rivers and bamboo huts.
2. It is in Viet, so they understand it best.
3. It has subtle cultural nuances that they pick up in an instant.

Whereas, you may find that cai luong/viet drama BORING because:
1. Unfamiliar territory - you've never been to a place called My~ Tho, you couldn't find it on the map and couldn't care less. Or a friend asks you about Vietnam and you reply, "Vietnam? That's where my parents came from but I hear it's a backward country so you'll never see me going there."
2. Your viet is weak, you can barely speak let alone write it. And so, every time you hear something you can't quite make out, you ask your parents to repeat it.
3. Some weird, subtle Vietnamese cultural nuance occurred and it's left you staring at the screen dumbfounded, but your parents are laughing and rolling on the floor.

So give your parents some slack. If they were raised in the same environment as you, they'd be all white washed and beating to the latest Ghetto rap. (Not that I'm saying you are) :)
Last edited by NanYueh on Nov 14th, '05, 06:26, edited 1 time in total.

NanYueh

Post by NanYueh » Nov 14th, '05, 06:23

flynvballer wrote:anyways yeah vietnamese people are somewhat very similar to THAI people... i dunno if thai people are MORE westernized than us or not but they've got a lot of very good horror and action movies out there. Why cant the vietnamese people do that?
Culturally, we're more similar to the Chinese. In fact, South-Eastern China used to be a part of Vietnam. Through many centuries of confrontation with the Chinese, we lost that part of the land but advanced to the Khmer lands in south (where Saigon is today).

surrealistic-destiny

Post by surrealistic-destiny » Nov 15th, '05, 06:37

wachi wrote:
surrealistic-destiny wrote:viet subbed? We could try, but my viet isn't really good. :-(
Have you actually read what have been discussing about this? I think it's a waste of time, but if people want to, doesn't matter much to me.
Yeah, I have ^^;; but it was merely a suggestion. Sorry if you riled by it, really sorry.

K.T.Tran koolies. I will check out thanks.

Does anyone know if Anego is good?

leetran

Post by leetran » Nov 17th, '05, 07:39

An-nyo'ng-ha-se-yo?
Selamat Datang Ke Malaysia
Wuo xu Yennan Ran
Wuo xu Tan Ming Yu

Nice to join you guys!!!
I'm Tran Minh Ngoc. English name LEE
Born and raised in VN for 20 years, living and stuyding in Malaysia for the last 3 years.

Guys, pls DO NOT bring in Political and Religion Stuff in here. We are here for Dramas, Movies, and last but not least we are here for FUN!!!

Juz a joke from the old man which is ma IDOL, guest who is he??? hahaha
1.Tôi nói đồng bào nghe rõ không?
2. Không có việc gì khó, chỉ sợ Tiền không nhiều, đào núi và lấp biể̉n, không làm được thì THUÊ
:salut:
Last edited by leetran on Nov 20th, '05, 13:59, edited 3 times in total.

babigrl

Post by babigrl » Nov 17th, '05, 07:55

hello everyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol wow i never saw this thread b4 :D so hello!!!!!!!!! lol i live in California! lol anyone a californian in here?

dana

Post by dana » Nov 17th, '05, 08:25

hi, nice to meet all the viet in d-addicts. :lol I didn't know we have so much viet who enjoy drama in here. Anyway just want to say "Go Viet Community."

AnimeLocoChika

Post by AnimeLocoChika » Nov 17th, '05, 08:40

I guess it's my turn to say something....hi....i'm viet, of course, born and raised in vietnam for the first 9 years of my life....now, a Californian....hehehehe.....i'm glad to see someone started this thread....i can read, write, and speak viet....just dont have the font to do so....hehehe....

well, anyways, it's good to see the vietnamese from all over the world get together within this thread....viet pride all the way.....

-Linhi3-

Post by -Linhi3- » Nov 17th, '05, 08:44

lol cái câu thứ 2 đó nghe hay đó bạn :lol , đang study bên malaysia 3 năm hả , đi du học hả :-)

oh yeah i live in southern california :mrgreen: near little saigon too :whistling:

leetran

Post by leetran » Nov 17th, '05, 08:48

Yes, mình đang học, sắp xong rồi...
Định đổi màu cái passport từ Republic Socialist thành Islamic cho nó khác người hahahaha :D

-Linhi3-

Post by -Linhi3- » Nov 17th, '05, 09:26

học xong có định về vn lập nghiệp không , hay ở lại lấy vợ malaysia luôn :whistling: Mình thì sinh ra và sống ở vn đựơc 10 năm, sau đó qua US định cư , nhưng mà luôn khoái ở vn hơn, vì nhộn nhịp vui vẻ hơn :wub:

leetran

Post by leetran » Nov 17th, '05, 09:49

Đinh cư hay không thì chưa biết, phải làm vài ba cái master với 1 cái MBA đã rồi mới tính chuyện về. :P
Đi được thì cứ đi đã, về sau!!! :D
Năm Châu Bốn Biển, đâu chẳng kiếm được cái nhà!!! :thumright:

theGreat0ne

Post by theGreat0ne » Nov 17th, '05, 10:13

im from southern ca too. i think i live in LITTLE SAIGON. westminster? i think its part of the it

Lantis

Post by Lantis » Nov 17th, '05, 15:55

im vietnamese too! was born in vietnam...but i moved to germany when i was about 3 years old.
although i do know how to write/read and speak vietnamese...im not very proud of it,
coz vietnam hasn't achieve anything yet...still communists...living-standard kinda sucks...and NO hot girls compared to other asian countries :P

jane

Post by jane » Nov 17th, '05, 16:26

Lantis wrote:im vietnamese too! was born in vietnam...but i moved to germany when i was about 3 years old.
although i do know how to write/read and speak vietnamese...im not very proud of it,
coz vietnam hasn't achieve anything yet...still communists...living-standard kinda sucks...and NO hot girls compared to other asian countries :P
:D Hot girl chi trong phim thoi. O ngoai nguoi VN dep hon may nguoi nuoc khac. :P

leetran

Post by leetran » Nov 17th, '05, 18:09

@Lantis
coz vietnam hasn't achieve anything yet...still communists...living-standard kinda sucks...and NO hot girls compared to other asian countries
Objection!!!
1.DO NOT call us all Vietnamese Communists... I'm from VN but i'm not one of them
2. In theory, Socialist is kind of higher level than Capitalism . In the book, Socialist is one of a kind where ppl work with their ABILITY and receive what they WANT. for Capitalism, Work as your ABILITY, and receive base on your WORK.
3. But then we dont have RACIST ppl in VN. I heard from lots of friends studying in EU(e.g: Italy, Germany), they hate Asian, whateva kind u r, if u r YELLOW...especially CHinese China. How would u live in a place where u r not welcome...
4. HOT GAL... Check out this chick!!!

***P/S: I had a chance to visit Fadin Fashion Institute once, hot chicks are all around, Models, Designers....

jane

Post by jane » Nov 17th, '05, 21:32

leetran wrote:@Lantis
coz vietnam hasn't achieve anything yet...still communists...living-standard kinda sucks...and NO hot girls compared to other asian countries
Objection!!!
1.DO NOT call us all Vietnamese Communists... I'm from VN but i'm not one of them
2. In theory, Socialist is kind of higher level than Capitalism . In the book, Socialist is one of a kind where ppl work with their ABILITY and receive what they WANT. for Capitalism, Work as your ABILITY, and receive base on your WORK.
3. But then we dont have RACIST ppl in VN. I heard from lots of friends studying in EU(e.g: Italy, Germany), they hate Asian, whateva kind u r, if u r YELLOW...especially CHinese China. How would u live in a place where u r not welcome...
4. HOT GAL... Check out this chick!!!

I agree with you at point 1+4.
Not agree at point 2+3. For me is point 2 only a theory. So if Socialism is a kind where ppl work with their ABILITY and receive what they WANT. So just one question: What has VN-people allready receive for their ability?
Point 3: wherever you go, there are good people and bad people. We also have rascist ppl in VN.

Lantis

Post by Lantis » Nov 17th, '05, 22:10

sure, not every vietnamese is communist, but the government is...
and that is what i dont like about vietnam!

and point 4: compared to other asian models...your viet chick is not that beautiful. i know..tastes are different...

leetran

Post by leetran » Nov 18th, '05, 00:30

@jane
Not agree at point 2+3. For me is point 2 only a theory. So if Socialism is a kind where ppl work with their ABILITY and receive what they WANT. So just one question: What has VN-people allready receive for their ability?
Point 3: wherever you go, there are good people and bad people. We also have rascist ppl in VN.
i dont know if you are living in VN now? They practicing Capitalism for Economic :mrgreen: THanks God!!! Vietnam Goverment kind of mix now, Politic : Socialism with Economic : Capitalism...
Becuz, Vietnam Goverment are mixing now, they cant really handle everything, if you know how to do business there, u can earn hell a lots :P
Man i would never hate a Vietnamase, even you are mix, you are still my bros and sis. Do you know meaning of the words " Đồng bào"???

@lantis
sure, not every vietnamese is communist, but the government is...
and that is what i dont like about vietnam!
I dont like it either, but i cant do nothing to change it, so i dont support em. But VN itself, i CANT WALK AWAY from MoTher LanD, man!!! :wub:
Anyway, chicks are chicks, diff taste then :thumright:

flynvballer

Post by flynvballer » Nov 18th, '05, 02:45

theGreat0ne wrote:im from southern ca too. i think i live in LITTLE SAIGON. westminster? i think its part of the it
haha a bunch of my relatives live down there.. was down there in december as well as may. Westminster is like VIETNAM itself... all vietnamese people.. then once u cross some point its all mexicans lol... me and my viet cuzins got owned by some mexicans in a pick up game of 5v5 bball.

yeah u know its VERY vietnamese there if u see a LEE's SANDWICH lol..what a weird place, the vietnamese 7-11 (not really but close enuff)