35%

Total votes: 155

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Japanese SoTW (11/26/06) - Flowers for Algernon

Post by mizune » Nov 16th, '06, 04:46

Howdy folks, long time no see! :)

After a long absence, things have finally stabilized enough for me to take part in setting up the JSoTW again. Thanks so much to Jannah who had to take burden for the past couple months alone! :salut:

Anyhow, it looks like some of the other nominees are being seeded a bit better now, so I'm going to put them off to the back burner for now and churn up a couple new series in their place. :p

I've also been wanting to try something out for awhile now, and it looks like there are finally enough volunteer seeders to do it. What I would like to try in one of the upcoming polls is to group about 3-5 (depending on the size) of the television SPs that have been subbed and offer them together as a single SoTW contender. I always think that these shows get left in the dust pretty easily and would like to give them a chance to stay seeded just as well as regular series. What do you guys think? Any series you'd like to see in a pack? Remember to check the JSOTW: Looking For Volunteer Seeders thread for potential candidates. :)

If you're willing to seed any of the series in the poll, please post a reply here or in the JSOTW: Looking For Volunteer Seeders thread or PM any one of the Geinou. There are still several series which don't have any volunteer seeders, so do volunteer for those! The more seeders we have, the more variety there will be in the future JSoTW polls.

Many thanks go out to those seeding the current JSoTW (Searching for My Polestar). Thank you for your support! :salut:

In the now immortal words of thetenken........

PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST. IF YOU DO NOT, YOU MAY BE LIABLE TO THETENKEN'S EXPRESSIONS OF DISPLEASURE.

Taking nominations for the next series of the week. Let me know what you want to add to the poll and I'll add it. From this point forward only series that have a volunteer seeder will be put up into the poll. People can nominate whatever they want, but the series won't become a poll option until there is a volunteer seeder...

PLEASE NOMINATE AND VOTE ONLY FOR THE DRAMAS OFF THE COMPLETED DRAMAS LIST FOUND IN THE JSOTW VOLUNTEER SEEDERS THREAD:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=23787
(06/14/2004: As of this date, the Series of the Week is now officially only Japanese dramas with English subtitles.)

The nominees are:

Summer Snow - torrents
Flowers for Algernon - torrents
Heaven's Coins II - torrents
Yasashii Jikan - torrent

Previous Japanese Series of the Week:
Oyaji, Otousan, Koi ga Shitai x3 (Where is Love?), Strawberry on the Shortcake (S.O.S.), Cheap Love, Big Wing, Hotman, Sutaa no Koi, From the Heart, Love Generation, A Sleeping Forest, Story of One Century, Friends, Younger Men, Merry Christmas in Summer, Shota no Sushi, Koibumi/Love Letter, Waterboys, Aoi Tori (Bluebird), Meguri Ai, Konna Koi no Hanashi, One Million Stars Falling From the Sky, News no Onna, Mukodono/My Husband, Food Fight, Heaven's Coins/Hoshi no Kinka, Forbidden Love, My Little Chef, With Love, Shopping Hero, Stand Up!!, 101st Marriage Proposal, Seija no Koushin, Maria/Mariya, Asunaro Hakusho, Summer Snow, Pretty Girls, Trick 1/2/3 (JSoTM), Itsumo Futari De, Tokyo Wankei, Denchi ga kireru made, Koi ga shitai (DVD), Wedding Planner, Suekko chonan ane sannin, Koi wo nan nen sundemasu ka/Dreams of Romance, Beach Boys, Keizoku, Nanisama, News no Onna, Aoi Tori, Midnight Rain, Chakushin Ari, Aishitteiru to itte kure (Say you love me), Dekichatta Kekkon (Shotgun Marriage), From the Heart, Ima, Ai ni Yukimasu, Princess Hiro, Double Kitchen, Joou no Kyoushitsu (Queen's Classroom), Oishii Kankei, Five Spies, Tokyo Wankei, Narita Rikon, Cheap Love, A Sleeping Forest, Merry Christmas in Summer, Konya Hitori no Beddo de, Story of One Century, Searching for My Polestar

What is a series of the week? More Info Here
Since there are now a substantial number of torrents on this site, we have implemented a "Series of the Week," where we could dedicate most of the bandwidth to a particular series during that week. This helps in a couple of ways:

1. People will know what series are available and have seeds, rather than just waiting and hoping for them to be seeded at some later date.

2. For those seeders who have DVD burners and have already burnt their collections to DVD/CD, then with the series of the week they know which series can be pulled off of DVD to help seed, minimizing troublesome multiple DVD loading.

3. Constantly re-circulates older torrents back into view, and focuses bandwidth and demand toward those specific torrents, rather than having people request series across the board.

Remember, D-Addicts was started for the community, and being a part of the community means sharing. If you don't share, then everyone loses (refer to JEM's dropping of Cdramas), and a good thing open to all may become a private party.

We take no responsibility for deleting poll entries if there are no seeds. No complaints, as this is a community effort. If the community doesn't want to share, then oh well...

Reminder: You must have at least 10 posts to vote. Go on, kiddies... explore the forum a bit... :)
Last edited by mizune on Nov 27th, '06, 00:13, edited 2 times in total.

emrams

Post by emrams » Nov 16th, '06, 04:59

Ninoooooooooo~ Yay! I would love to see this one. I have seen the others, but I have wanted to see this one for a while. It sounds like a touching story so please pick this one!!!!!!

acidkung

Post by acidkung » Nov 16th, '06, 05:13

summer snow and yasashii jikan was great but've seen them.
so Flowers for Algernon is my choice 8)

ube

Post by ube » Nov 16th, '06, 05:23

vote for Masami!

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » Nov 16th, '06, 05:37

Loved the story it's loosely based on and want to see what the Japanese do with it, so I chose "Flowers For Algernon." :-)

arabian

Post by arabian » Nov 17th, '06, 08:05

I'd love to watch summer snow..
Taking break for quite a long time.. :-)

marienella_m

Post by marienella_m » Nov 17th, '06, 08:20

pls vote for Flowers for Algernon!!! ive seen the first 3 episodes and it soo good!! i would like to see the rest of the series, lets vote for it!!! Onegai minna-san!!!!!

melich

Post by melich » Nov 17th, '06, 13:12

Yes please vote for 'Flowers for Algernon'! I've seen a couple of episodes and the story's really one of a kind :)

sswoy

Post by sswoy » Nov 19th, '06, 08:05

vote for Flowers for Algernon

dmaechan
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by dmaechan » Nov 20th, '06, 00:15

I voted for summer snow...mostly because it's the only one i've seen out of the four... but i think i voted a little too quickly... didn't know there was a japanese version of Flowers for Algernon.. i heard the book was really good and i know there was a recent korean drama based on it as well.. so if i could turn back time..which unfortunately i can't...i would vote for Flowers for Algernon..hehe

ushiushi

Post by ushiushi » Nov 20th, '06, 00:19

I voted for Algernon because my friend has been bugging me to see it for over a year. I told her that I couldn't since there weren't any subs available for it, but there ya go. :)

BTW, could you consider doing a SOTM with Salaryman Kintaro 1234 a la TRICK123? I recall that the ratings were really good for this series, but the series is never seeded.

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Nov 20th, '06, 02:39

ushiushi wrote: BTW, could you consider doing a SOTM with Salaryman Kintaro 1234 a la TRICK123? I recall that the ratings were really good for this series, but the series is never seeded.
If I remember correctly, we actually had a series of the month with the Trick series before, so it's not out of the question. In which case, I think the showdown should include Investigator Mariko, Kintaro, Trick, Heaven's Coins, Women of the Onsen, and Kochira Hon-Ikegami sho...

The biggest logistical problem I see is that I don't think we don't have enough volunteer JSoTW seeders signed up for most of those series to pull it off comfortably (same goes for the Taiga dramas), but that's just my intuition... I may be wrong about that. As it is, Volunteer Seeders such as feedmeister do a great job of keeping those series in circulation.

----

BTW, does anybody have any thought about the idea I proposed in the first post?
Or is it more that nobody read the opening comments again? :fear:

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 20th, '06, 03:23

miz: maybe you should put your idea in a different color font or something. i think it's an interesting one.
Use THUMBS UP/DOWN buttons to KEEP or DELETE posts.
If you see SPAM or ABUSE, use the REPORT button.

20centuryboy

Post by 20centuryboy » Nov 20th, '06, 07:22

Looks like a good idea. :)
Nankurunai sa!

ippanjin22

Post by ippanjin22 » Nov 21st, '06, 02:43

I voted for Heaven's Coins II.

I think the idea of voting for groups of SPs is a great one.

Also, can someone put a link to this poll on the Torrent page to promote voting?

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Nov 21st, '06, 04:01

jholic wrote:miz: maybe you should put your idea in a different color font or something. i think it's an interesting one.
check :)
ippanjin22 wrote: Also, can someone put a link to this poll on the Torrent page to promote voting?
heh... I didn't even notice the link wasn't there... ^_^;
erm... I'm having some technical difficulties right now, but I'll fix it once somebody kicks the server... :whistling:

In any case, for SP packs, since nobody's mentioned anything they'd like to see, I have a couple combo suggestions:
1. The Ultra-Depressing WWII-related SP Pack (~3.2 GB):
Hiroshima Showa 20 nen 8 gatsu mui ka
Hotaru no Haka
Nihon no Schindler ~ Sugihara Chiune Monogatari

2. The Johnny's J-Idol Pack (~3.2 GB): :lol
Chichi no umi, boku no sora
Kindaichi Shounen Jikenbo
Hero SP
Yuuki

3. The Happy-Go-Lucky Rise Over Adversity!! Pack (~3 GB) : :roll
Chichi no umi, boku no sora
Cinderella ni naritai
Happy! ~Namida no Sumasshu~
Yuuki

Other possibilites, depending on availability of volunteer seeders are...

The Historic/Folklore-related Pack (~3 GB):
Chuushingura 1/47 <- missing a seeder for this though
Satomi Hakkenden <- torrents missing... :/

The Completely Unseeded SP Pack
pretty much everything else... :p

Etc etc... You get the picture....

Once again though, it's all related to getting volunteer seeders, so please help out!!
:salut:

HazelNuit

Post by HazelNuit » Nov 24th, '06, 01:18

omg is FLowers for Algernon the same as the book? IT was really good!
사랑한다 연세 || APPRECIATE LIFE || 열심히해야지

paopei

vote

Post by paopei » Nov 24th, '06, 02:13

flower of Algernon!!

mikomi

Post by mikomi » Nov 24th, '06, 04:51

My vote went to Flowers for Algernon!! The story sounds the most interesting out of the 4 listed. I'd love to see that drama :).
Watching: JIN, Ohitorisama, Liar Game 2

paganfiregoddess

Post by paganfiregoddess » Nov 24th, '06, 05:22

just out of curiousity, aren't the series of the week/month supposed to have subtiltes? :sweat:

I was just asking because I noticed Yasashii Jikan only has raw files. XD

android_04

Post by android_04 » Nov 24th, '06, 05:25

Yatta! I'm glad to see that Flowers for Algernon is winning :D

Gir

Post by Gir » Nov 24th, '06, 05:28

paganfiregoddess wrote:just out of curiousity, aren't the series of the week/month supposed to have subtiltes? :sweat:

I was just asking because I noticed Yasashii Jikan only has raw files. XD

It's soft subbed, the subtitles are here: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24196
If you can remain calm while all around you others are panicking... Then you obviously have not adequately assessed the situation.

debye

Post by debye » Nov 24th, '06, 19:27

I've tried to fix up the organization of the Algernon subtitles, just in case. The content is unchanged from my last changes, in April of this year.

elsiey

Post by elsiey » Nov 24th, '06, 21:02

I'm hoping that Yasashii Jikan winssss~ It's catching up to Flowers for Algernon, so it has a sporting chanceeeeeeee :whistling:

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Nov 24th, '06, 21:12

^ yeah...since i fixed the link on the torrents page for the next vote, yasashii jikan has been creeping up... so just in case, i made up banner pics for both of them already... :p
debye wrote:I've tried to fix up the organization of the Algernon subtitles, just in case. The content is unchanged from my last changes, in April of this year.
cool, thanks...
:)

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Nov 25th, '06, 16:57

Whoa... Yasashii Jikan has really caught up... O_o;
Never underestimate to power of fangirls :fear:

Anyhow, does anybody have any suggestions about what SPs they would like to see reseeded as a SoTW contender? If nobody says anything, I'll probably hold off on the idea until a later date... :unsure:

CaptWatashi

Post by CaptWatashi » Nov 25th, '06, 18:43

I'd be interested in either the "The Johnny's J-Idol Pack " or " The Happy-Go-Lucky Rise Over Adversity!! Pack" .
Eee: I am already senseles - just beat me!
http://www.eeeandharvey.com

freecosmo

Post by freecosmo » Nov 26th, '06, 00:56

Summer snow..... Ryoko Hirosue

cha2

Post by cha2 » Nov 26th, '06, 11:10

Any of the suggested SP packs would be great. Am thankful for the opportunity to watch them. :-)

maneki_neko

Post by maneki_neko » Nov 26th, '06, 14:12

I want to see the happy-go-lucky rise over adversity pack!

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo why won't Yasashii Jikan win? *cries* Maybe it'll be two of them as series of the week, that happened once before when the votes were really close. But I can't remember when. :roll

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Nov 27th, '06, 00:11

Annnnnnd the winner, in a last minute spurt, is Flowers for Algernon! :clap:
Seeders for Flowers for Algernon may begin any time now.
Thanks to all the seeders for the previous JSoTW, Searching for My Polestar, and please remember to help out our bandwidth-challenged comrades by continuing to seed for as long as you can.

BTW, there might be a lag in the posting of a new poll, but I'll get around to it sometime tonight... :)

kusmog

Post by kusmog » Nov 30th, '06, 07:17

oh man, thank you thank you so much to everyone who voted for Flowers for Algernon!! I totally missed the voting, and ever since I finished watching Nemureru Mori with Yusuke Santamaria from the previous JSotW and now with Boku no Aruku Michi airing, I've been meaning to see this series so bad, esp since I've already read the book.
I just finished watching this series. Thanks for making it all possible! =P Maaan... instant classic in my book. Thanks again to the Flowers for Algernon voters!! I hope ppl enjoyed this series as much as I did. Subarashii!! =*)****