Series of the Week 04/12/04 - S.O.S.

talk about and vote for the Series of the Week and Month

What should be the next series of the week? (x indicates where I cannot seed)

Poll ended at Apr 14th, '04, 02:34

Oyaji
27%
Shopping Hero (x)
No votes
S.O.S.
29%
S.O.S.
29%
Younger Men (x)
15%

Total votes: 41

thetenken
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Series of the Week 04/12/04 - S.O.S.

Post by thetenken » Apr 7th, '04, 02:34

*** Since there was so much controversy over what series people could seed, and the fact that D-Addicts was down for about a week, I'm doing a revote (no recounts, Taiwan!). You have until Sunday/Monday, when the new SotW will start. I have also removed Love Complex as an option, unless someone can come seed for it.***

Alright, taking nominations for the next series of the week. Let me know what you want to add to the poll and I'll add it.

Last time's runner-ups:

Oyaji - http://www.jdorama.com/drama_496.htm
S.O.S. - http://jdorama.com/drama_466.htm
Shopping Hero - http://jdorama.com/drama_707.htm

Just completed:
Younger Men - http://www.jdorama.com/viewtopic_3702.htm and http://www.kikutv.com/shows/younger_men/index.html

Others:
Story of One Century - http://jdorama.com/drama_506.htm (Removed from list because no one volunteered to seed)
Love Complex - http://jdorama.com/drama_492.htm (Removed, no seed)

---

What is a series of the week?
Since there are now a substantial number of torrents on this site, we have implemented a "Series of the Week," where we could dedicate most of the bandwidth to a particular series during that week. This helps in a couple of ways:

1. People will know what series is available and have seeds, rather than just waiting and hoping.

2. For those seeders who have DVD burners and have already burnt their collections to DVD/CD, then with the series of the week you know which series you can pull off of DVD to help seed, minimizing troublesome multiple DVD loading.

3. Constantly re-circulates older torrents back into view, and focuses bandwidth and demand toward those specific torrents, rather than having people request series across the board.

We will be taking votes as to what the next Series of the Week will be. Please only vote on completed series, and not incomplete series, movies, songs, etc. This is primarily for Japanese drama series. Those who propose other types of series should find seeds on their own who will offer to seed for that week.

Remember, D-Addicts was started for the community, and being a part of the community means sharing. If you don't share, then everyone loses (refer to JEM's dropping of Cdramas), and a good thing open to all may become a private party.
Last edited by thetenken on Apr 26th, '04, 17:06, edited 2 times in total.

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Apr 7th, '04, 02:39

alright, a revote! i voted for younger men...i didn't get to see the last episode when KIKU aired it...if SOS becomes the SOTW then i can help seed that. too bad no one wanted to seed Story of One Century. It sounds interesting.

nsk

Post by nsk » Apr 11th, '04, 01:10

I can help seed Younger men if that becomes the sotw. I got the series off groink when d-addicts was down.

dmorgan

SOTW

Post by dmorgan » Apr 13th, '04, 13:01

It looks like SOS has been the series of the week, sort of. I voted for Oyaji.

If you post SOS as series of the week, I will help seed.

The series of the week idea is great!

There should be a reseed series of the week too. You could make an announcement to help seed the series with the most seeds needed. I will be happy to help where I can.

An example: I am helping seed the whole series A Sleeping Forest this week. Others are more than welcome to help seed. I don't have enough bandwidth to seed all files at once, but will move through the series.

Later!

beer

Post by beer » Apr 13th, '04, 20:36

Why the heck aren't people downloading S.O.S. if they want it?

Vote for Oyaji!!! - it doesn't even have torrents up for its episodes!!! I did!

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Apr 13th, '04, 20:48

i see that all but one of the torrents for SOS has a seed but there aren't many peers.
Last edited by puccakiss79 on Apr 13th, '04, 23:04, edited 1 time in total.

ophelia

Post by ophelia » Apr 13th, '04, 22:53

Oyaji please....
O.L.

groink

Post by groink » Apr 13th, '04, 23:16

It would be good if we know who the volunteer seeders are for all the series listed on the poll. Then that way, if XXXX series is voted on and no one frigging seeds it, we know who to flame! LOL!!!!

--- groink
1. Always read FAQs for a given forum before posting.
2. Read the first few posts in a topic before posting.
3. Speak using complete English words.
4. The Internet is international. Respect regional and cultural values.

SaintofKillers

Post by SaintofKillers » Apr 14th, '04, 03:59

Throwing my vote for Oyaji!

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Apr 14th, '04, 04:48

SaintofKillers wrote:Throwing my vote for Oyaji!
so people can still vote? when do i begin to seed the SOTW (given that its SOS)?

added on...nevermind...saw the SOTW announcement on the torrent index page :) ...thanks Ruroshin, now i know i can seed SOS :P

jen

Post by jen » Apr 14th, '04, 05:02

is the poll closed? if noto, i vote for oyaji :D

depressed

Post by depressed » Apr 14th, '04, 20:29

:blink oyaji please :blink

BT-Slut

Post by BT-Slut » Apr 14th, '04, 20:59

It kind of stinks that the most voted for last week, Love Complex, has no seed. :-( I'd vote for Love Complex.

groink

Post by groink » Apr 14th, '04, 21:30

BT-Slut wrote:It kind of stinks that the most voted for last week, Love Complex, has no seed. :-( I'd vote for Love Complex.
Yes, I agree!

This has happened twice now, where the winning drama didn't have any volunteers coming forward to seed. However, if someone just said, "Hey, I'll seed!" then doesn't, we should be able to hunt him down and toilet paper his house or something. So we can't pick the winning drama just because someone came forward and volunteered to seed. To me, that's where the SOTW is flawed.

Also, I really have a hard time grasping the fact that the SOTW is determined by the people who LACK the episodes. What I think would work are two things... 1) would be a poll where a drama would be voted on by the people who lack the episodes, and 2) same list, but instead of just running a poll, have the people post their names as volunteers for a particular series. And, have the volunteer list weigh a lot heavier than the leech poll. I think right now it's sort-of run in this criteria, but it isn't that clear to everyone.

Bottom line, if someone volunteered but doesn't appear to be seeding within the first 24 or 48 hours of the SOTW starting up, I'd publicly humiliate the person via the posts in some way, and at the same time switch the SOTW to the next runner up.

Just something to think about...

--- groink

thetenken
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by thetenken » Apr 15th, '04, 14:30

groink wrote:
BT-Slut wrote:It kind of stinks that the most voted for last week, Love Complex, has no seed. :-( I'd vote for Love Complex.
Yes, I agree!

This has happened twice now, where the winning drama didn't have any volunteers coming forward to seed. However, if someone just said, "Hey, I'll seed!" then doesn't, we should be able to hunt him down and toilet paper his house or something. So we can't pick the winning drama just because someone came forward and volunteered to seed. To me, that's where the SOTW is flawed.

Also, I really have a hard time grasping the fact that the SOTW is determined by the people who LACK the episodes. What I think would work are two things... 1) would be a poll where a drama would be voted on by the people who lack the episodes, and 2) same list, but instead of just running a poll, have the people post their names as volunteers for a particular series. And, have the volunteer list weigh a lot heavier than the leech poll. I think right now it's sort-of run in this criteria, but it isn't that clear to everyone.

Bottom line, if someone volunteered but doesn't appear to be seeding within the first 24 or 48 hours of the SOTW starting up, I'd publicly humiliate the person via the posts in some way, and at the same time switch the SOTW to the next runner up.

--- groink
I think the series of the week poll up to this point should reflect what people would like to watch, rather than what people would prefer to reseed. I thought more people would seed than actually have, and the only folks I count on to seed on any particular series are like groink and maybe one other besides me. =)

I guess the idea of weighing seeders as having more input would work. Problem there is then the haves would be dictating what the havenots should watch. I guess a more balanced approach of considering seeders and leechers is important, but then some people would complain about how un-democratic or unfair it is. Stuck between a rock and a hard place, huh? Well, since no one reads these threads on a consistent basis besides the ops and maybe puccakiss79, I'll be taking input from you guys.

All in favor of weighing seeds more, press 1.
All in favor of continuing the current system, press 2.
All in favor of having the seeds have total control, press 3.

BT-Slut

Post by BT-Slut » Apr 15th, '04, 15:58

thetenken wrote:
groink wrote:
Yes, I agree!

--- groink
I think the series of the week poll up to this point should reflect what people would like to watch, rather than what people would prefer to reseed. I thought more people would seed than actually have, and the only folks I count on to seed on any particular series are like groink and maybe one other besides me. =)

I guess the idea of weighing seeders as having more input would work. Problem there is then the haves would be dictating what the havenots should watch. I guess a more balanced approach of considering seeders and leechers is important, but then some people would complain about how un-democratic or unfair it is. Stuck between a rock and a hard place, huh? Well, since no one reads these threads on a consistent basis besides the ops and maybe puccakiss79, I'll be taking input from you guys.

All in favor of weighing seeds more, press 1.

I read. And puccakiss79 is very helpful.

Beggers can't be choosers, so I'll just go with whatever system is implemented. But I would say that ultimately, if the SOTW is seeded but is not popular and not many are downloading it, then it's a wasted resource.

Just my 2 cents.

Aloha!

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Apr 15th, '04, 19:30

SOS is the first SOTW i could contribute to so i was happy to supply some seeds here and there.

I think groinks suggestion about seeders supplying their name and commiting to seeding is worth a shot. (of course i'll leave the public ridiculing to him... :P ) But a question arises if we have a poll, what about those that are able to seed more than one series (i only have SOS, so i won't be able to seed another jdrama until i d/l more...but perhaps someone has both Oyaji and Younger Men...does the poll allow the seeder to vote for more than one series?)

If i may suggest, perhaps there should just be a thread asking and encouraging volunteers for the "following series" that are currently being voted on for the next SOTW, that way someone can list all the series among the list that they are able to seed. I don't mind volunteering to tally up the volunteers for each series (of course i'm assuming there will be a lot to come forward...but this may be wishful thinking).

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Apr 15th, '04, 20:52

puccakiss79 wrote:If i may suggest, perhaps there should just be a thread asking and encouraging volunteers for the "following series" that are currently being voted on for the next SOTW, that way someone can list all the series among the list that they are able to seed. I don't mind volunteering to tally up the volunteers for each series (of course i'm assuming there will be a lot to come forward...but this may be wishful thinking).
I think in theory this may be a good idea, but at the same time, a lot of people would shy away from volunteering because that would require commitment on their part. A week of seeding is not the same as seeding one file to someone, and I think if you asked people to put down their names (similar to it being set in stone), many people with the complete series would not volunteer to do so. Especially if this includes ridiculing should they fail to seed...

I've been lurking around this thread for a little while and the idea had occurred to me, but I refrained from saying anything because ultimately, I thought the idea might not turn out too well. I guess it depends really on the d-addicts community and how willing they are to help others, right?

I'm currently downloading SOS right now, so I can help seed SOS again if it ever becomes a SOTW in the future. I don't have any of the others, so I haven't been able to help seed.. But, what about kdramas as a possibility? I know quite a few of the finished kdramas constantly need seeders, so I can help out if that ever occurs.

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Apr 15th, '04, 21:23

iceberri wrote:But, what about kdramas as a possibility? I know quite a few of the finished kdramas constantly need seeders, so I can help out if that ever occurs.
i have some kdrama series completed...i think actually, a kdrama was on the list of SOTW polls a while back (Attic cat...i think...and it was the winner once too) anyways, since kdramas have more episodes than jdramas then it would require much more seeders to commit. I myself would commit but i think that this particular SOTW focuses on jdrama now because there was a lack of seeders for kdramas. (correct me if i'm wrong anyone). Perhaps i can consider starting a kdrama SOTW, but I would want to make sure that there is enough seeds to seed all the episodes. I will try to look up the old thread that discussed SOTW including kdramas :) .

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Apr 15th, '04, 21:50

thetenken wrote: All in favor of weighing seeds more, press 1.
lol...
I'm sorry, I did not understand your response. Please select an option again...
I'm sorry, please press a number now...
I'm sorry, I still do not understand. Please hang up and try again.

:stress:

okay, i found what i was looking for in an old SOTW thread
thetenken wrote:Series of the Week is for any drama, as long as there are seeders. Since I don't download Korean nor Chinese dramas (except Wuxia), I usually put an (x) to signify that I can't seed, but others might be able to. I think most of the big seeders here are mostly into the jdrama scene, so the Series of the Week usually works better with jdramas. I think Attic Cat lost a lot of steam because there weren't enough seeders (either because it was a kdrama or because it was a long series). Just some ideas to think about...
[/i]

groink

Post by groink » Apr 15th, '04, 21:55

puccakiss79 wrote:
iceberri wrote:But, what about kdramas as a possibility? I know quite a few of the finished kdramas constantly need seeders, so I can help out if that ever occurs.
since kdramas have more episodes than jdramas then it would require much more seeders to commit.
Not only that, what you're really dealing with here are several groups of fans, each of which only collect one type of thing. The SOTW was basically started up by people who are Japanese drama fans. If you start mixing dramas from different countries, what you'll have then are grudges between the groups.

For example, look at yours truly... I only collect Japanese dramas. However, based on the tracker statistics, it appears that Korean dramas draw the most interest of all the drama groups, or at least that's what the completed download numbers show (measured per episode, not per series since kdramas generally have more episodes). So when my choice is among the SOTW picks, in theory my choice wouldn't stand a chance seeing Korean drama fans clearly outnumber Japanese drama fans, therefore the Korean drama choices should draw more votes. That's why awhile back, my idea was to have a SOTW poll for EACH drama category, rather than having just one SOTW for everything.

I hate segregating the d-addicts community... However, in situations like this, you really have no choice.

--- groink

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Apr 16th, '04, 00:31

groink wrote:Not only that, what you're really dealing with here are several groups of fans, each of which only collect one type of thing. The SOTW was basically started up by people who are Japanese drama fans. If you start mixing dramas from different countries, what you'll have then are grudges between the groups.

For example, look at yours truly... I only collect Japanese dramas. However, based on the tracker statistics, it appears that Korean dramas draw the most interest of all the drama groups, or at least that's what the completed download numbers show (measured per episode, not per series since kdramas generally have more episodes). So when my choice is among the SOTW picks, in theory my choice wouldn't stand a chance seeing Korean drama fans clearly outnumber Japanese drama fans, therefore the Korean drama choices should draw more votes. That's why awhile back, my idea was to have a SOTW poll for EACH drama category, rather than having just one SOTW for everything.

I hate segregating the d-addicts community... However, in situations like this, you really have no choice.

--- groink
Oops, I guess I didn't think it through thoroughly enough. All valid points - I understand why it's only jdramas now. I've always been a fan of both kdrama and jdrama, but I always thought the number of jdramas out there was simply intimidating! There were so many; how could I possibly decide to download what was good? So, I guess I started off with kdrama for that reason.

Making separate SOTWs might be a bit of an overload on everyone though. I can't imagine seeding OR grabbing 2-3 SOTWs within a week's span, along with downloading the constant flow of dramas/movies that are being offered everyday. Separate SOTWs might solve the issue of kdramas winning by a landslide, but the load just might be too much (for both the seeders and the leechers, but especially seeders). From the way I see it, if things are offered too rapidly, people just download and leave. >_< Things are probably best left as is, I guess.

Anyways, scratch my idea of kdramas... looking back on what I have in my kdrama collection, most of the kdramas I have are from jem's site. Soo, that wouldn't really apply to d-addicts, right? =\ I CAN help once the newer jdramas become "older jdramas" without seeds... derr, but until then... sorry...

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Apr 16th, '04, 00:47

lol...iceberri, you and i are in the same boat :) *looks around* "where is everybody else?"...lol

there are pros and cons for all the issues discussed.

Perhaps for the issue on kdramas, those weeks i'm not able to seed the SOTW that generates mostly on jdramas like the current SOTW poll, i'll consider making a poll for a kdrama that i'll seed...if others want to help seed then that's even better...but i won't be seeding 20 episodes at a time :glare: lol...instead i'll seed 2-3 at a time, starting at one and move on as i can...maybe people will stick are to help seed knowing that i'll continue to another episode if i feel there are enough seeds to keep the going torrents running. Something i'll ponder but won't commit to just yet. Besides the only kdrama i have from d-addicts is Attic Cat and Winter Ballad and Hotelier (which of those three would make an interesting poll). I'll make my decision later.

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Apr 16th, '04, 01:37

Agh! Of those 3, I have none of them. Hotelier I bought, so it's not the same version that was released from d-addicts... Winter Sonata is currently being passed around my friend's circle, lol. With the length of the series, and how long each of them take, it might be a while before I get it back. And Attic Cat, I watched it from Totuta's site way back in the day when I first started. Never downloaded D-addicts version. >_< Grarrr...

It would be in no way possible, to have k-SOTW from other sites... right? heh heh . . . don't kill me. *hides*

thetenken
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by thetenken » Apr 16th, '04, 15:34

iceberri wrote:Agh! Of those 3, I have none of them. Hotelier I bought, so it's not the same version that was released from d-addicts... Winter Sonata is currently being passed around my friend's circle, lol. With the length of the series, and how long each of them take, it might be a while before I get it back. And Attic Cat, I watched it from Totuta's site way back in the day when I first started. Never downloaded D-addicts version. >_< Grarrr...

It would be in no way possible, to have k-SOTW from other sites... right? heh heh . . . don't kill me. *hides*
Originally when I conceived of SotW, it was for all series. Back then there weren't many kdramas, and I think in SotW2 or 3 we had Attic Cat winning as the SotW. Problem there was there just weren't any seeders. Maybe it was long, or maybe we didn't have enough kdrama fans back then, but it was a disaster.

The jdramas that have been SotW have been doing well, with the only exception being Where is Love? when there was a time at the very beginning where it wasn't seeded. This was due to the server moves, d-addicts beind down, no post on the front page, etc. Then when it finally started getting seeds, Ruroshin had to change trackers again. =) All in all, it was just a victim of circumstance, I think.

With these reasons, we (being groink and I) have been reluctant to extend the SotW to dramas with no seeders who volunteer beforehand, and kdramas because of the track record.

It seems that when this site was swamped it was because of 1 of 3 reasons:
1) lots of kdrama fans from other sites, grabbing and leaving
2) lots of chinese cdrama/jdrama fans from other sites, grabbing and leaving, or reposted on another tracker
3) Suprnova craziness

Like others have said as well, the jdrama/kdrama community only overlap a bit. So it would be for the most part, full of factions. I don't see a problem with having a concurrent kSotW. I think it would work well as the SotW in the offweek after the jSotW, so they flip flop. Then we would truly have a SotWeek, rather than Sot-BiMonthly. =)

Of course, we'd need seeders...

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Apr 17th, '04, 03:27

Well,

I watched Story of a Century a long time ago. If it is about three generations of a Japanese woman up to modern times then that was a wonderful drama. I would love to see it again.
Regarding seeding. I am not sure if I do the correct thing but after I have succeeded in d/l an episode, i put it to my documents but I leave it open on my PC. Sometimes all night or longer. Is this helping at all? Sorry... I am real novice with all these terms....

Peggy

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Apr 17th, '04, 03:47

thetenken wrote:With these reasons, we (being groink and I) have been reluctant to extend the SotW to dramas with no seeders who volunteer beforehand, and kdramas because of the track record.

It seems that when this site was swamped it was because of 1 of 3 reasons:
1) lots of kdrama fans from other sites, grabbing and leaving
2) lots of chinese cdrama/jdrama fans from other sites, grabbing and leaving, or reposted on another tracker
3) Suprnova craziness

Like others have said as well, the jdrama/kdrama community only overlap a bit. So it would be for the most part, full of factions. I don't see a problem with having a concurrent kSotW. I think it would work well as the SotW in the offweek after the jSotW, so they flip flop. Then we would truly have a SotWeek, rather than Sot-BiMonthly. =)

So from what I understand so far, a k-SOTW can be held *successfully* if we have enough seeders. All the glitches that have occurred in the past are due to the floods of leechers with no seeders, especially with kdramas. However, as groink pointed out, the number of downloaders for kdramas are by no means, small! Surely there would be a few people willing to help out?

Um, I have another question: if we're ever going to have Winter Sonata as a series, would we seed the first 6 episodes as well? This goes back to my question about seeding kdramas from other sites, because the first 6 is from the aznv tracker. Wouldn't it be illogical to have episodes 7-20 without having 1-6 for those that only have discovered the d-addicts tracker? Perhaps if this ever occurs, we could have torrents pointing to the aznv tracker... just like how All About Eve is done right now?

And if we can do that . . . would jem allow some of his series to be poll options for SOTW? All of them would still be directed to his tracker and even though series like "Beautiful Days" are not necessarily from the d-addicts tracker... the point of this was to spread drama series to everyone, right? Anyways, I'm only curious because I want to see how much I'll be able to help in terms of seeding if the k-SOTW ever occurs. =) Of course, I think we'd need a few more volunteers to help seed the series because I'm only online from 4pm-12am (Eastern Time)

@ Peggy... to seed, you have to open the bittorrent window similar to when you're downloading the file, except that the file that you have is already complete. If it's saved in the same spot, the client will find it, check it to see that it's complete and start seeding automatically from there. People will be able to download from you from that window, so as long as that window is open, it shouldn't be a problem. I don't think that keeping it in your documents will work...

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Apr 17th, '04, 04:00

iceberri wrote: Um, I have another question: if we're ever going to have Winter Sonata as a series, would we seed the first 6 episodes as well? This goes back to my question about seeding kdramas from other sites, because the first 6 is from the aznv tracker. Wouldn't it be illogical to have episodes 7-20 without having 1-6 for those that only have discovered the d-addicts tracker? Perhaps if this ever occurs, we could have torrents pointing to the aznv tracker... just like how All About Eve is done right now?

And if we can do that . . . would jem allow some of his series to be poll options for SOTW? All of them would still be directed to his tracker and even though series like "Beautiful Days" are not necessarily from the d-addicts tracker... the point of this was to spread drama series to everyone, right? Anyways, I'm only curious because I want to see how much I'll be able to help in terms of seeding if the k-SOTW ever occurs. =) Of course, I think we'd need a few more volunteers to help seed the series because I'm only online from 4pm-12am (Eastern Time)
very good point when taking Winter Sonata into consideration. We'd not only have to get the okay from the mods here, but the okay from aznV.net staff (just to be on the safe side). I don't know what jem would say about making one of his uploaded series a SOTW, and since i'm not computer smart i wouldn't know what kind of effects if any we may be causing to his tracker/server ??? The only series i have from jem's site is Loving You and Beautiful Days. In any case, you are definitely right about the need for seed.

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Apr 17th, '04, 04:13

puccakiss79 wrote:very good point when taking Winter Sonata into consideration. We'd not only have to get the okay from the mods here, but the okay from aznV.net staff (just to be on the safe side). I don't know what jem would say about making one of his uploaded series a SOTW, and since i'm not computer smart i wouldn't know what kind of effects if any we may be causing to his tracker/server ??? The only series i have from jem's site is Loving You and Beautiful Days. In any case, you are definitely right about the need for seed.
Well, series that I could help with are My Love Patzzi, Beautiful Days, and Bright Girl's Success Story. The only reason why I even brought up seeding series from other sites is because there aren't that many completed korean series on the d-addicts tracker at the moment. I know a lot of people on the d-addicts forum ask about seeding for Beautiful Days, and instead of helping each person individually, I thought it'd be more helpful to just seed once and reach greater masses of people. If jem gives the go-ahead, at the very least we'll have 2 seeders for that series, right? =P There've also been a couple people that I could *perhaps* recruit -- not too sure about that -- but I think it's a possibility. I can't imagine that people that you (puccakiss) or I have helped in the past would be reluctant to help seed. However, I have no idea how to get in contact with jem, so someone else would probably have to do that . . . .

Regarding Winter Sonata . . . I know that the person in charge of the website is a member here at d-addicts under the name of RumxZ. I remember a while back when Winter Sonata was being discussed that s/he mentioned that s/he was the one who set up the site itself. So, it's probably not too difficult to get in touch. Plus, RumxZ has an email account that we could contact as well.

Anyways, these are just some thoughts that I'm throwing out. What do the mods think...?

thetenken
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by thetenken » Apr 17th, '04, 04:15

iceberri wrote:
So from what I understand so far, a k-SOTW can be held *successfully* if we have enough seeders. All the glitches that have occurred in the past are due to the floods of leechers with no seeders, especially with kdramas. However, as groink pointed out, the number of downloaders for kdramas are by no means, small! Surely there would be a few people willing to help out?

Um, I have another question: if we're ever going to have Winter Sonata as a series, would we seed the first 6 episodes as well? This goes back to my question about seeding kdramas from other sites, because the first 6 is from the aznv tracker. Wouldn't it be illogical to have episodes 7-20 without having 1-6 for those that only have discovered the d-addicts tracker? Perhaps if this ever occurs, we could have torrents pointing to the aznv tracker... just like how All About Eve is done right now?

From what I know, JEM does not want his active torrents posted to other sites. The JEM files on this site are ones that he has already taken down from his site. As for making a SotW a JEM series, that wouldn't really be a good idea because then it has absolutely no association with d-addicts, since we can't post any torrents on this site. If you decided to have a JEM SotW/reseed, then you could probably work it out with JEM, or just make an ad-hoc group in the forums here or on a kdrama site.

As for aznv Winter Sonata, I don't know much about that at all. I think there might be a reason the earlier eps aren't posted here, I dunno. You might want to ask Ruroshin or groink about that, I think they talked about it before.

For the future of d-addicts, I think Ruroshin had decided to go with a multi-tracker method, but currently from what I know all the main torrents are running off of groink's BT server. Although it would be nice to have this as the Suprnova of asian dramas, it is up to Ruroshin, since he and groink are the ones contributing the most money, time, and effort to the site. Running a site like this is extremely resource intensive, and my hat goes off to him everyday this site is running.

As for All About Eve, it is in a strange situation since the general rule has been to not point to JTV's site, but this time a JTV member posted it himself. So I really don't know what's going on with that, and if JTV and d-addicts will work something out.

Sorry for the long post...

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Apr 17th, '04, 05:22

thetenken wrote:From what I know, JEM does not want his active torrents posted to other sites. The JEM files on this site are ones that he has already taken down from his site. As for making a SotW a JEM series, that wouldn't really be a good idea because then it has absolutely no association with d-addicts, since we can't post any torrents on this site. If you decided to have a JEM SotW/reseed, then you could probably work it out with JEM, or just make an ad-hoc group in the forums here or on a kdrama site.

As for aznv Winter Sonata, I don't know much about that at all. I think there might be a reason the earlier eps aren't posted here, I dunno. You might want to ask Ruroshin or groink about that, I think they talked about it before.
perhaps we'll leave it at d-addicts dramas...besides not having direct access to jem, i wouldn't want to send an influx of d-addicts there and bring the site down or something :unsure:. Perhaps we can make an exception for aznV.net's Winter Sonata episodes but we'll definitely have to double check, would we really need to post their torrents here? If we don't then perhaps we could just put a note in the thread of kSOTW's poll that the first 6 episodes are at aznV.net and of course those will be seeded as well.

So what does that mean, Attic Cat, Hotelier and perhaps Winter Ballad? That's not much, especially since we might not include Winter Ballad. I don't mind being the only seed, just as long as everyone's patient when i move down the series. LOL, i'll just make a poll to see which series ppl want me to seed first, Attic Cat or Hotelier. Too bad no one has come forward to volunteer for Autumn Tale (Malaysian DVD-rip) or Ruler of Your Own World (i'd love to get my hands on ROYOW). In any case I'll just have to think about the perfect timing to set this up...anyone has any ideas on when would be the best time to start. By the way, i'm currently helping seed SOS, so while this is the SOTW it's not the best time to start :P .

lol...did we stray away from discussing the problem that sometimes arises w/ SOTW having a lack of seeds?

thetenken
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by thetenken » Apr 17th, '04, 06:16

puccakiss79 wrote:
perhaps we'll leave it at d-addicts dramas...besides not having direct access to jem, i wouldn't want to send an influx of d-addicts there and bring the site down or something :unsure:. Perhaps we can make an exception for aznV.net's Winter Sonata episodes but we'll definitely have to double check, would we really need to post their torrents here? If we don't then perhaps we could just put a note in the thread of kSOTW's poll that the first 6 episodes are at aznV.net and of course those will be seeded as well.

So what does that mean, Attic Cat, Hotelier and perhaps Winter Ballad? That's not much, especially since we might not include Winter Ballad. I don't mind being the only seed, just as long as everyone's patient when i move down the series. LOL, i'll just make a poll to see which series ppl want me to seed first, Attic Cat or Hotelier. Too bad no one has come forward to volunteer for Autumn Tale (Malaysian DVD-rip) or Ruler of Your Own World (i'd love to get my hands on ROYOW). In any case I'll just have to think about the perfect timing to set this up...anyone has any ideas on when would be the best time to start. By the way, i'm currently helping seed SOS, so while this is the SOTW it's not the best time to start :P .

lol...did we stray away from discussing the problem that sometimes arises w/ SOTW having a lack of seeds?
I'm all for kSotW, but as you said in your last sentence, not enough seeders. Lack of kdramas on this site is also due to lack of people who want to share other series. I'm sure there are more kdramas on the downlow than the ones on this site and on the other 3 sites. There are probably over 200 kdramas? Pretty much it gets down to the kind soul who wants to share. Luckily enough for me and the jdrama crew, we have good folks like Ruroshin, groink, ap, takez0 and others who are willing to share. The kdrama community will have to step up as well, or there'll only be a community of leechers...

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Apr 17th, '04, 09:32

thetenken wrote:
I'm all for kSotW, but as you said in your last sentence, not enough seeders. Lack of kdramas on this site is also due to lack of people who want to share other series. I'm sure there are more kdramas on the downlow than the ones on this site and on the other 3 sites. There are probably over 200 kdramas? Pretty much it gets down to the kind soul who wants to share. Luckily enough for me and the jdrama crew, we have good folks like Ruroshin, groink, ap, takez0 and others who are willing to share. The kdrama community will have to step up as well, or there'll only be a community of leechers...
well, since Autumn Tale Combined version, Propose and now Let's Go to School Sangdoo are all works in progress, perhaps we can wait until they are complete to start a kSOTW. That way we can put all five on the poll, or at least four rather than just two :P . Hopefully by that time, more kdrama fans will be participating in the forum and would offer seeds for the kSOTW to be successful. This may give us a good chance to learn from the current SOTW to make kSOTW successful. For now, we can just seed kdrama episodes by requests.

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Apr 17th, '04, 15:10

puccakiss79 wrote:well, since Autumn Tale Combined version, Propose and now Let's Go to School Sangdoo are all works in progress, perhaps we can wait until they are complete to start a kSOTW. That way we can put all five on the poll, or at least four rather than just two :P . Hopefully by that time, more kdrama fans will be participating in the forum and would offer seeds for the kSOTW to be successful. This may give us a good chance to learn from the current SOTW to make kSOTW successful. For now, we can just seed kdrama episodes by requests.
Could we start a poll, seeing how many people are interested in kSOTW and seeding for them? We could then get a general feel of how many people haven't seen the series AND if there are enough seeders to get this thing started. It might take a while for Propose, Autumn Tale, and Let's Go To School to finish, since there are simply so many episodes. =P I think that if there's enough interest, this *could* work. By polling, we could see the amount of people interested in it (by no means STARTING a kSOTW yet) and have people volunteer to seed certain series. If there's not enough seeders for each series, the leechers will all just have to deal with it! :P

thetenken
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by thetenken » Apr 17th, '04, 17:21

Sure, just start a thread with a poll. Like, Who is interested in seeding a kSotW? Yes/No.
Or something like that, and ask to see who can seed what...

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Apr 17th, '04, 17:24

thetenken wrote:Sure, just start a thread with a poll. Like, Who is interested in seeding a kSotW? Yes/No.
good idea iceberri, something like SEEDERS WANTED...shall we start it in the Korean Entertainment forum or General Discussions...just want to get a mods point of view here because I wouldn't want it to be moved (more work for ya'll) I was thinking having it the Korean Entertainment forum would be better because ppl won't mistake it for the current SOTW that we've been having.

thetenken
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by thetenken » Apr 17th, '04, 17:26

puccakiss79 wrote:
thetenken wrote:Sure, just start a thread with a poll. Like, Who is interested in seeding a kSotW? Yes/No.
good idea iceberri, something like SEEDERS WANTED...shall we start it in the Korean Entertainment forum or General Discussions...just want to get a mods point of view here because I wouldn't want it to be moved (more work for ya'll) I was thinking having it the Korean Entertainment forum would be better because ppl won't mistake it for the current SOTW that we've been having.
Yeah, Korean Entertainment would be best.

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Apr 17th, '04, 17:58

thetenken wrote:Yeah, Korean Entertainment would be best.
thanks thetenken, i'll let iceberri have the honor of starting the poll, if she wants it. Otherwise, i'll start it and provide a link in case anyone else is following this topic here :P

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Apr 17th, '04, 21:39

puccakiss79 wrote:thanks thetenken, i'll let iceberri have the honor of starting the poll, if she wants it. Otherwise, i'll start it and provide a link in case anyone else is following this topic here :P
Thanks. I've written a preliminary draft and started a thread in the Korean Entertainment section. If I'm missing anything important, please PM me about it! Btw, should this be made into a temporary sticky?

Here's the link:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3167

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Apr 20th, '04, 03:19

thetenken wrote:Like others have said as well, the jdrama/kdrama community only overlap a bit. So it would be for the most part, full of factions. I don't see a problem with having a concurrent kSotW. I think it would work well as the SotW in the offweek after the jSotW, so they flip flop. Then we would truly have a SotWeek, rather than Sot-BiMonthly. =)

Thank you mods for giving Iceberri and I all the advice/suggestions to help make kSOTW a success *crossing fingers*.

It seems that several ppl have stepped foward to volunteer seeds for some of the kdrama on d-addicts, so now we are deciding on the best time to launch kSOTW and how long we should run the kSOTW (month or 2 weeks)

Mods wants to share their thoughts? Thanks again.
Last edited by puccakiss79 on Apr 20th, '04, 16:45, edited 2 times in total.

iceberri
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by iceberri » Apr 20th, '04, 03:32

I think that covered just about everything. Only one small thing though . . . I don't think we'd ever hold the first k-SOTW if we had it on April 31st.. because April 31st doesn't exist! I was like, "wait a minute... I thought April was a short month........." Um yareh. Edit it to May 3rd, pucca unni? :P

puccakiss79
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by puccakiss79 » Apr 20th, '04, 03:56

iceberri wrote:I think that covered just about everything. Only one small thing though . . . I don't think we'd ever hold the first k-SOTW if we had it on April 31st.. because April 31st doesn't exist! I was like, "wait a minute... I thought April was a short month........." Um yareh. Edit it to May 3rd, pucca unni? :P
LOL...wrong month, nah, i really am just a dits! LOL. But i better correct it before ppl think it does have 31 days.

I'm glad you have my back, iceberri :)