Search found 51 matches

by Britishk
May 27th, '08, 15:38
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

Dorothy Hodgkin Marie Curie Suzanne Langer Judith Weir Jocelyn Bell Rosalind Franklin My mother became pregnant (with me) while doing her PhD. When she told her prof, the answer was "If you prefer to hang nappies on the line than do research in science, that is your choice, but know this: the day y...
by Britishk
May 26th, '08, 23:51
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Post your pictures thread!!! Post them!
Replies: 3136
Views: 708556

Raida|23 wrote:BritishK, make my compliments to your mum, good job ^___^
Thank you.
by Britishk
May 26th, '08, 23:50
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

Ha! Nice.

Er, that is satire, right?
Because with all the women I know, "Math is hard, let's go shopping!" is a <i>joke</i>.
by Britishk
May 25th, '08, 21:53
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

Regarding lies, I agree that ignoring reality utterly would be disastrous, however it is very common for people to employ social lies or hopeful lies to themselves or others in order to remain in an unpanicked state during crises. Sometimes it is better to believe that a hopeful outcome is more lik...
by Britishk
May 25th, '08, 20:45
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

Discussion #2: What is Truth? Truth is a pro-life concept. The antonym of truth is lie. For a something to be considered as being true it must first be; i.e., it must be real. Aristotle’s identification that existence exists; means that truth is; what it is. And what truth is; is reality. Since real...
by Britishk
May 24th, '08, 02:14
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Post your pictures thread!!! Post them!
Replies: 3136
Views: 708556

Oh what the heck.
Before:
Image

Last year:
Image

This year:
Image
by Britishk
May 23rd, '08, 15:28
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

Very true. But does this have anything to do with marriage? I have heard the argument that if gay marriage is legalized, then there is no further drive to continue the species, but this is a slippery slope. One thing such an argument misses is the fact that a good 50% of gay and lesbian couples hav...
by Britishk
May 23rd, '08, 15:11
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

Sounds logical!

Potential exists but it must be (can only be) actualised by proper physical action.

For example. The potential for happiness exists but it must be actualised by proper physical action. Or: Since it has been actualised there no longer exists a potential for travelling to the moon.
by Britishk
May 23rd, '08, 02:39
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

Further it is evident that motion is an attribute of a thing just when it is fully real in this way, and neither before nor after. For each thing of this kind is capable of being at one time actual, at another not. Take for instance the buildable as buildable. The actuality of the buildable as buil...
by Britishk
May 22nd, '08, 15:50
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

Comprehensibility is the sole responsibility of the author. I am (to eschew false modesty) an intelligent, open-minded and philosophically literate person: I find the OP utterly incomprehensible. dkane75 might well be the greatest genius to hit philosophy since Aristotle, but the OP is certainly ins...
by Britishk
May 21st, '08, 14:10
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

I agree. There are so many to choose from, though. I wish we could all just pick one. Why can't that be done? This definition of marriage is the one sectarians seem to favour, yes. But is it true that this is the concept of marriage we should accept? The species requires that its individuals reprod...
by Britishk
May 19th, '08, 18:29
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

Paris_Hangover, To answer your OP. It depends on what the concept of marriage denotes. If marriage denotes that two people are a couple and was established to honour that fact then a "couple of gays" would be honoured by it and it ought to proceed. If marriage denotes that two people are necessary t...
by Britishk
May 18th, '08, 04:29
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Post your pictures thread!!! Post them!
Replies: 3136
Views: 708556

I see Halfass's <strike>roaches</strike> boys are crawling out on the forum. Lovely.
by Britishk
May 17th, '08, 20:41
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

Now mate, we actually have quite a bit of agreement here, but before I get to that , I have to deal with this irritation: I prefer to do my own thinking. You seem to read and accept the thinking provided by others as if were real knowledge. I don't see any attempt on your part to do original thinki...
by Britishk
May 17th, '08, 15:39
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

I'm getting rather tired of this "intellectually potent" catch phrase. Did you read it in British's big book of big words to try and sound smart with?? Once again, you have given a complete pile of crap, describing the universe as a singularity, and don't like it when everyone jumps on you for it. ...
by Britishk
May 16th, '08, 16:46
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

Firstly, big bang theory is not a "creation theory", being that creation requires [...] So your claim is that the "Big Bang" happened but nothing caused it to happen; Right! It just simply happened; no cause which effectuated into a "Big Bang" just an uncaused "Big Bang". And you say my philosophy ...
by Britishk
May 16th, '08, 16:01
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

It's a ridiculous claim that you have provided no arguments for. In fact you have simply provided circumstantial evidence that you don't understand nearly enough about the subject to so much as comment.. I have given something for you to consider and **** about. But that is where you stop. You are ...
by Britishk
May 16th, '08, 03:02
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

Some how you have gotten my meaning completely turned around. I will accept any responsibility for this that is necessary to get it straightened out. 1. <b>"All one needs to be aware of is that it requires that at one time nothing (or at least a very small something) existed."</b> Is part of an over...
by Britishk
May 16th, '08, 02:38
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

Halfass,

You win the award for the most obviously foolish post.

Go to the first post of this page read my second quote which Jscorpio copied and correct your own error.
by Britishk
May 16th, '08, 00:07
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

<b>WHAT?</b>
by Britishk
May 15th, '08, 20:15
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

There are ways of knowing it, mate.. It's called four dimensional geometry.. It's not just a nice sounding idea.. OK. Your claiming since a box has four sides this proves a fourth dimension is in physical reality? OH! How bloody intellectually potent! Being uncharitable, I think it's pure ignorance...
by Britishk
May 15th, '08, 02:53
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

I'm sorry, but your alternative explanation of a bounded Universe requiring something "outside" causes an infinity. In other words, if there is something outside the Universe, why would it not have boundaries also? And if it had boundaries, wouldn't your alternative require something else outside t...
by Britishk
May 15th, '08, 01:10
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

Jscorpio, The thing I do understand is that physics does not "create" the truth; it can only identify it. When a physicists postulates 10-universes or the "a big bang" creation or a "shaped" universe; this does not make it so; this is not truth. This physicist must demonstrate real physical evidence...
by Britishk
May 14th, '08, 16:47
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

The shape doesn't matter when space itself is curved. Can you imagine the consequences for an incomprehensible, "boundary of the Universe." It was a major revelation for me. I no longer give myself headaches trying to imagine what is outside the Universe. A bounded universe is a contradiction on it...
by Britishk
May 14th, '08, 15:24
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

The effect of gravity on the fabric of space-time. In other words, the study of physics. Gravity is real; I agree, but my question was to determine what the physical evidence is that confirms that it is shaping the universe in one way or another. What is simple acceptance? I had a good reason to ac...
by Britishk
May 14th, '08, 14:08
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

AF_1,

What is the evidence for you claim? To simply accept this and feel "a great weight was lifted" has severe mystical overtones.
by Britishk
May 14th, '08, 04:28
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

It is getting larger.. At least the observable universe, and by inference all of it.. But it doesn't need to be expanding into anything.. The universe doesn't occupy any space, it is space(time).. "It is getting larger." Implies a finite thing with boundaries. It is as if the universe is different ...
by Britishk
May 14th, '08, 03:05
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

Not in the very specific and mathematically defined sense used in physics.. But this is a philosophy thread. How can a physical analysis become different from its philosophical base?? They don't need to take your misuse of their terms into account actually.. Furthermore, they are not saying the uni...
by Britishk
May 13th, '08, 23:02
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

I have to totally disagree with the OP. [...] You have the ability to transcend perception. I don't agree it is a requirement of knowledge. The universe <b>is</b> a singularity. The expansion - contraction people need to take this into account; first. There is nothing else to consider but the unive...
by Britishk
May 13th, '08, 22:54
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

Your comments here and previously about secondary perception suggest that [....] The manner in which you define "secondary perception" makes it clear you're conflating perception with other interpretative/constructive cognitive processes. My problem with your interpetation of peripheral sensory dat...
by Britishk
May 13th, '08, 16:58
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

If I look at a person, then this is perception. If I look at a person's bones, this is still perception. If I look at a predictive model of someone's behaviour in the future, <i>this is still perception.</i> You are perceiving a real physical thing; it is a computer generated output of some type. Y...
by Britishk
May 13th, '08, 14:47
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

that makes sense... [....] so if we're going to cut anything out as non-perceivable it wont be the past and future....[...]. We are unable to identify a thing which is non-perceivable. If someone asks you to describe something which cannot be know; what would you describe? This is an epistemologica...
by Britishk
May 13th, '08, 04:21
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

ok...let me try again...i would argue this in two ways...first....there is a question of whether we can perceive anything outside the present....i think the answer is that we can...but only indirectly...however this is how we perceive everything.... if your talking about an object 5 feet away....th...
by Britishk
May 13th, '08, 04:13
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

InTr4nceWeTrust wrote:Topic name changed from "Philosophical Chat" to "Philosophical Discussion". Discussion is fine. Chats are no good. I'm not entirely sure what "philosophy" entails, so if this related to life, it should be moved to "Life & Relationships".
Thank you.
by Britishk
May 13th, '08, 03:49
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

Your view is widely held. The problem I have with it is that if I cannot perceive it how am I ever going to know it. Perception is a requirement of knowledge. If a person claims to know time a some sort of forth dimension I would need to point out to them that they cannot know what they are talking ...
by Britishk
May 13th, '08, 03:20
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

What is a dimension in the way that you are using it?
by Britishk
May 13th, '08, 03:04
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: Philosophical Discussion
Replies: 130
Views: 24546

Philosophical Discussion

This thread is mainly devoted to Philosophy. Asking timeless questions in a modern world. Discussion #1: Time is action measured. Man noticed changes occurring in and around him. Man noticed the stars moving across the sky: The birth and death of all sorts of living things and the aging of his own b...
by Britishk
May 10th, '08, 14:50
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: The Lounge
Replies: 337
Views: 33063

It is an entirely adequate justification for doubt if the aim of the exercise is to find mathematical certainty and "doubt" here must be understood in that context.. What is an adequate <i>motive</i> for a doubt (e.g. to examine the foundations of knowledge) need not be a good <i>reason</i> to doubt.
by Britishk
May 8th, '08, 14:17
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: The Lounge
Replies: 337
Views: 33063

Philosophers who practice "artificial stupidity" claim, at least, to believe absurdities. I carnt think of any that do, mate.. Philosophers are not particularly interested in what other philosophers can persuade themselves to believe, they are interested in the arguments. Claims about personal beli...
by Britishk
May 7th, '08, 23:03
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: The Lounge
Replies: 337
Views: 33063

Britishk gf, to answer your email.... "Artificial stupidity" would then be another name for counterfactuals, which are of primary importance to rational thought. If you want to know how known facts support (or not) this or that proposition, you have to first pretend that you don't know those facts,...
by Britishk
May 7th, '08, 14:32
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: The Lounge
Replies: 337
Views: 33063

morning......yawn.....coffee......hmm.....kinda like this quote by bertrand Russel.... "when people begin to philosophize they seem to think it necessary to make themselves artificially stupid."..... Russell has many good quotes, most are too long to fit on a bumper sticker. Seems his social/politi...
by Britishk
May 6th, '08, 17:14
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: The Lounge
Replies: 337
Views: 33063

In other words, you two are not condoning nor denying that cheating in a relationship is wrong?? G'boy is not implying that every guy should go out and be unfaithful, nor is he implying that all guys cheat on every girl they date. Cheating generally means that you're not fully satisfied with your c...
by Britishk
May 5th, '08, 21:38
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: The Lounge
Replies: 337
Views: 33063

I'm not a whore.
by Britishk
May 5th, '08, 21:34
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: The Lounge
Replies: 337
Views: 33063

Manwhore.
by Britishk
May 5th, '08, 18:36
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: The Lounge
Replies: 337
Views: 33063

slowmoe wrote:he'll do the girl in her home or in a motel....like what dannyboy did.....
I see. Well then, I can only presume the same goes for the rest of your bros. I cannot think of her at the moment. I do think you know her though.
by Britishk
May 5th, '08, 17:42
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: The Lounge
Replies: 337
Views: 33063

A motel? I see. Of course, not that I'm saying you're speaking from experience or anything.
by Britishk
May 5th, '08, 17:14
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: The Lounge
Replies: 337
Views: 33063

Jscorpio wrote:@Zyrene and Slowmoe: Take a guess.. Where does a woman find what she dreads most?? I'll give you a hint: They say most car accidents take place within three miles of one's home..
I'd wager that most intimate accidents take place <i>inside</i> one's home.
by Britishk
May 1st, '08, 20:14
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: how can you tell if a girl likes you
Replies: 166
Views: 22847

<b>Halfass wrote: "Apologies, My Lady. My assumption was that someone arguing against determinism would have some sensitivity to the determinist argument."</b> I am very aware of the determinist argument and it fails because it is based in faith. Perhaps you should've read the entire thread in your ...
by Britishk
May 1st, '08, 19:15
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: how can you tell if a girl likes you
Replies: 166
Views: 22847

Look Moe, Let's dispense with your strawman and argue with what I actually said shall we? Stop reworking my argument into something you can more easily assail. I said nothing of scratching. There is no reason why the decision should or shouldn't be anything. It is what it is. It appears to have no s...
by Britishk
May 1st, '08, 17:35
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: how can you tell if a girl likes you
Replies: 166
Views: 22847

Halfass,

First you assume the "determinist components". I am not allowing you this sleight of hand. If you claim "determinist components" then prove them. You can't just assume them and then ask me to disprove your assumption.
by Britishk
Apr 28th, '08, 16:50
Forum: Life & Relationships
Topic: My buddy's breakup
Replies: 78
Views: 16479

I just can't sit here and watch you Halfass and co. throwing punches at Adrijana. If there's one thing men are great at, it's not listening. Let me rephrase that. They are great at ignoring things they don't want to hear. To be even more precise, they don't like listening to women. Women -- for bett...