SilentRegrets

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
User avatar
Chrono
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: Brazil

SilentRegrets

Postby Chrono » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:20 pm

Hey everybody

Does anyone know what happened to the website Silent Regrets? It's been "offline" for a very long time now. Maybe they just gave up?

Well, if anyone knows, please let me know. I'd aprecciate that.
:-)

User avatar
iluvasiandrama
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 12:06 am
Location: USA

Postby iluvasiandrama » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:30 pm

I've noticed it's been like that for several weeks. I think they went on vacation and can't monitor the website and have fun too :lol. I think it will be back up soon when they return. This isn't the first time this has happened.
Now watching: [b][color=green]Need to find some new dramas

User avatar
Chrono
Posts: 65
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2007 1:27 pm
Location: Brazil

Postby Chrono » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:48 pm

Thanks for the answer, iluvasiandrama

I really hope it' only temporary, because that site is great. I was hoping to downloading some movies, but whatever... I'm gonna look for other sites while it's offlline. :P

User avatar
iluvasiandrama
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 12:06 am
Location: USA

Postby iluvasiandrama » Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:06 am

No prob. If you need help with movie downloads then let me know. :lol
Now watching: [b][color=green]Need to find some new dramas

User avatar
Ochibi-san
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:03 pm
Location: Friesland, Netherlands

Postby Ochibi-san » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:18 pm

well it's still down and now it says offline
it's just a blank page with offline :(

User avatar
Kazu-Ichi
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Fire... brimsone... you get the idea.

Postby Kazu-Ichi » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:13 pm

Hi, I'm the same KazuIchi that was an uploader on SR, and as far as DashRabbit and I know Nay has just disappeared. She never said anything to either of us about giving up and still hasn't responded to any of our mails. Nay had given us a premium Megaupload account to use for uploading to her site, but it's no longer valid. I'm always checking the site to see if she's returned, but of course, she hasn't.

It really appears as though she's just given up. I'm a little disappointed because if she'd just talked to us about it I would have taken the site over from her (although I don't know anything about site design or maintenance).

User avatar
Ochibi-san
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:03 pm
Location: Friesland, Netherlands

Postby Ochibi-san » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:17 pm

oo
hmm well i hope she will at least answer your messages :O
i really enjoyed silentregrets because there were synopsis' of every drama/movie that was on it :)
o well it she doesn't come back we just have to take it the way it is.

Kazeyama
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: United States

Postby Kazeyama » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:32 am

I was a newbie there and made a monetary donation. Feel like they took my money and ran ...

User avatar
Kazu-Ichi
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Fire... brimsone... you get the idea.

Postby Kazu-Ichi » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:45 am

Kazeyama wrote:I was a newbie there and made a monetary donation. Feel like they took my money and ran ...

That's not it. Nay had been the sole operator of the site for a long time. She handled all the maintenance and design on her own for over 6 years. Dash and I helped as much as we could, but I could see that even with our help it was taking a toll on Nay. We needed more help, but on the rare occasions that someone actually offered they didn't have the knowledge, the skill, or the fortitude to stay on duty. We often had uploaders that would just disappear on us. If she didn't have the help of Dash and myself then she probably would have given up a long time ago. She just couldn't hold it together any longer. I apologize and ask that you please understand.

Tai
Posts: 421
Joined: Thu May 08, 2008 10:36 am
Location: AZ

Postby Tai » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:56 am

Thank you Kazu-ichi
I appreciate your uploads and glad you mentioned Nay. She had one of the best sites but as you know that doesnt always mean your doing well or even breaking even. Success eventually takes a certain amount of people power with out it even an energizer bunny get worn down. And from what little I know Nay is indeed some bunny.
She make the feel of Silent Regrets very friendly not restrictive in anyway! My thought was and you all had everything...but unlike Korean drama which has lots of support and S2. I always felt like SR was kind of the place to look for Japanese dramas. Plus like you mentioned Nay used Mega which is head and sky above its competition.
It would be great if she gets in touch. No matter what her plans for SR. Otherwize ...well hope she is OK.

dtyc
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:38 am

Postby dtyc » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:02 am

I missed SR too. I like the site very much. It's extremely low key and unintrusive. I also make a very small donation, and felt I got a lot more out of the site than what I donated. If there's anything possible I can do to help keep that site up, I would have. Please let me know. I'm not a tech person at all. Would you ask her and let us know? I'm sure her old-faithfuls are all rooting for her.

Kazeyama
Posts: 111
Joined: Sun Apr 15, 2007 7:31 pm
Location: United States

Postby Kazeyama » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:32 am

@Kazu-Ichi ... Sorry that I came across too harsh. In the short time I was at SR, I received more than my donation amounted to. I guess I hadn't bonded yet with the site. Gomen ne.

User avatar
Kazu-Ichi
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Fire... brimsone... you get the idea.

Postby Kazu-Ichi » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:34 am

dtyc wrote:Would you ask her and let us know?

I would if I could, however as I said, she's not answering any of my mails. There's just nothing that I could do. I'm sure she knows that there are people still rooting for her, and I'm sure that she appreciates it, but after running the site for so long she's understandably exhausted.

el_canuck
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:38 pm

Postby el_canuck » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:39 am

I miss SR like everyone else, "you don't know what you got, till it is gone", but I do have a few back-ups. Here is the main one to check out. They want you to become a member (no cost) and sometimes they use multiple downloaders that are mirrored, that way you can download 3 to 4 episodes at once (including MEGAUPLOAD). Try it, better than nothing.

http://www.am-addiction.com/forum/index.php ?

Here is one more, again you have to register (no cost) and they do not ask for your name.
A french site that also does english.

http://lets-look.com/index.php

Both of these sites are easier to surf around in once you become a member.

I hope this helps, if there are other download sites or questions about these sites, send me a message..

Hope Nay has second thoughts.
Last edited by el_canuck on Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Kazu-Ichi
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Fire... brimsone... you get the idea.

Postby Kazu-Ichi » Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:39 am

Kazeyama wrote:@Kazu-Ichi ... Sorry that I came across too harsh. In the short time I was at SR, I received more than my donation amounted to. I guess I hadn't bonded yet with the site. Gomen ne.

I understand your frustration, I can't say I'd be happy if I donated and all of a sudden the site closed down, but I hope you understand how exhausted she was. You unfortunately just came and donated at a bad time. Hopefully after nay has had a chance to rest she'll restart the site.

User avatar
iluvasiandrama
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 12:06 am
Location: USA

Postby iluvasiandrama » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:08 am

I don't think that she is gone for good because the website just says OFFLINE. This happened before and the last time it took a few months before the site was back up and running. I think they just need a break to upload and get things current or vacation. I hope that she will be okay.
Now watching: [b][color=green]Need to find some new dramas

User avatar
Kazu-Ichi
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Fire... brimsone... you get the idea.

Postby Kazu-Ichi » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:11 am

iluvasiandrama wrote:I don't think that she is gone for good because the website just says OFFLINE. This happened before and the last time it took a few months before the site was back up and running. I think they just need a break to upload and get things current or vacation. I hope that she will be okay.

I hope that you're right, but I can't say one way or the other. I was only on the site for about two and a half years, but in that time I can't remember the last time it's been offline for this long. I think at most I remember the site being down for about a week, but I don't remember it being offline for this long.

User avatar
iluvasiandrama
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 12:06 am
Location: USA

Postby iluvasiandrama » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:21 am

Well, I could be wrong about saying a couple of months but I remember it was OFFLINE for a long while more than 2 weeks. Just seems like if she was shutting the site down she would have stated it properly instead of OFFLINE. There may be server and web-hosting issues she has to take care of too. That can take time like if you have a corrupt database or something...

I miss the site because I really need to look up synopsis and reviews on some Hong Kong & other dramas. :-(
Now watching: [b][color=green]Need to find some new dramas

User avatar
Kazu-Ichi
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Fire... brimsone... you get the idea.

Postby Kazu-Ichi » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:32 am

You're right, it does seem like she would have given a more detailed explanation rather then just "offline" and it seems to me that she would have said something to me or Dash, but she hasn't.

I guess the biggest concern is the fact she didn't renew the megaupload account that she had given to Dash and myself. If she really was just going offline for a little while and was planning on returning then I would think she would have renewed it so we could keep working while the site was offline.

User avatar
iluvasiandrama
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 12:06 am
Location: USA

Postby iluvasiandrama » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:50 am

Oh wow, well it seems to me that she might have an emergency (personal) issues that she has to take care of not related to the website. IDK...just throwing out possibilities here because that's the only other thing I can think of because if you guys were uploaders for the site then she would definitely have sent you an email if it was website related.

Where are you uploading now? Do you know of any similar sites that are updated with more than just Korean dramas?
Now watching: [b][color=green]Need to find some new dramas

User avatar
Kazu-Ichi
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Fire... brimsone... you get the idea.

Postby Kazu-Ichi » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:05 am

Currently we're concentrating on our duties at our fansub group Fighting! Fansubs, so we're not uploading.

Some good sites where you can get both Korean and Japanese shows and movies though are-

http://myasiancinema.com/
http://www.am-addiction.com/forum/
http://lets-look.com/
http://azian.aniweblog.org/

Just Japanese-
http://www.jdramazone.com/list/
http://nomanymore.blogspot.com/

Mostly Korean-
http://mediumquality.blogspot.com/

Torrent asian movies (invitation only) -
http://www.asiatorrents.com/index.php

User avatar
lenrasoon
Posts: 634
Joined: Wed Jan 17, 2007 11:53 pm
Contact:

Postby lenrasoon » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:20 am

i'm sad that the site is closed, i've visited SR for 5-6 years and it was one of the first places that i used to download dramas before d-addicts, i still have hope that she'll comeback since during 2007-08 the site wasn't updated for some time (although not offline like this).

User avatar
iluvasiandrama
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 12:06 am
Location: USA

Postby iluvasiandrama » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:22 am

Thanks Kazu-ichi. There are so many websites for Korean. I just need synopsis and reviews for Chinese, Hong Kong, Taiwanese and Japanese sites mainly. I can't download files or torrents, I can watch online streaming only.

Edit: Those websites are great! Arigato!!! :D
Last edited by iluvasiandrama on Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Now watching: [b][color=green]Need to find some new dramas

User avatar
iluvasiandrama
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 12:06 am
Location: USA

Postby iluvasiandrama » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:23 am

lenrasoon wrote:i'm sad that the site is closed, i've visited SR for 5-6 years and it was one of the first places that i used to download dramas before d-addicts, i still have hope that she'll comeback since during 2007-08 the site wasn't updated for some time (although not offline like this).


We are all hoping so too.
Now watching: [b][color=green]Need to find some new dramas

abc2010
Posts: 1
Joined: Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:15 am

Postby abc2010 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 7:33 am

@Kazu-Ichi

Thank you very much, kalzuchi, that finally somebody from silentregrets is giving some kind of update. I was looking for months for any kind of information about what happened with silentregrets and i was wondering how come from all the uploaders, nobody is saying anything.
First of all I hope Nay is all right.
I am very sorry the website is gone...even the movies can be found on other websites (or at least part of them), the things I miss the most are all the users comments...and they cannot be restored unfortunately even by creating a similar site. I never found a better site than silentregrets with both movies/dramas and good comments from users.
Still hoping to see silentregrets online sometime...Thanks again.

el_canuck
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:38 pm

Postby el_canuck » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:29 pm

Just go to the top of the page between TORRENTS and STATS, DRAMA WIKI is the bible for everything otherwise hancinema.com for all of the latest gossip and news on upcoming Kdramas.

If you go to am-addiction, check out the stream on my message from page one and that will get you to all of the dramas. AM-addiction opens at their movie page and you have to navigate around to the dramas.

mrwhy
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:16 am

Thank you so much, Kazulchi

Postby mrwhy » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:03 pm

Kazu-Ichi wrote:Hi, I'm the same KazuIchi that was an uploader on SR, and as far as DashRabbit and I know Nay has just disappeared. She never said anything to either of us about giving up and still hasn't responded to any of our mails. Nay had given us a premium Megaupload account to use for uploading to her site, but it's no longer valid. I'm always checking the site to see if she's returned, but of course, she hasn't.

It really appears as though she's just given up. I'm a little disappointed because if she'd just talked to us about it I would have taken the site over from her (although I don't know anything about site design or maintenance).


Dear Kazulchi:

I thank you so much for the update from an Insider.

May God bless you always.

mrwhy

LizTaylor52
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:38 am
Location: Arizona, USA

Postby LizTaylor52 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:50 am

Silent Regrets was my lifeline. I can't believe it's gone. I've googled trying to find out what was going on. I did find this website .. is it the same Nay? I assume so since she's using the silentregrets name.

http://silentregrets.ce.ms/

Thanks so much for the information Kazulchi. I didn't realize Nay had the site for so long, so can understand her wanting a break. Just wish we would have been given prior notice so we could have downloaded as much as possible before it went down. I'm a dufus and looking at the sites posted as alternatives, I'm totally lost trying to figure out how to get to the movies/dramas, let alone download them. Silent Regrets was so easy to use and at least all were subbed in English. Thanks to Nay, you, Dash and all the others who made the site possible for as long as it was up

User avatar
Kazu-Ichi
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Fire... brimsone... you get the idea.

Postby Kazu-Ichi » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:14 am

LizTaylor52 wrote:Silent Regrets was my lifeline. I can't believe it's gone. I've googled trying to find out what was going on. I did find this website .. is it the same Nay? I assume so since she's using the silentregrets name.

http://silentregrets.ce.ms/

Thanks so much for the information Kazulchi. I didn't realize Nay had the site for so long, so can understand her wanting a break. Just wish we would have been given prior notice so we could have downloaded as much as possible before it went down. I'm a dufus and looking at the sites posted as alternatives, I'm totally lost trying to figure out how to get to the movies/dramas, let alone download them. Silent Regrets was so easy to use and at least all were subbed in English. Thanks to Nay, you, Dash and all the others who made the site possible for as long as it was up


Hey Liz,
Long time no talk. I'm glad to hear you're doing okay. Looking at the site you posted... I've got to say that it doesn't really seem to have Nay's personality. Maybe it is her, maybe not. But it doesn't really have too much content. City Hall was the only drama I saw and it linked to another site that had the download links. I don't know. I think I'm going to keep an eye on the site to see how the owner behaves.

LizTaylor52
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:38 am
Location: Arizona, USA

Postby LizTaylor52 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:48 am

Kazu-Ichi wrote:
LizTaylor52 wrote:Silent Regrets was my lifeline. I can't believe it's gone. I've googled trying to find out what was going on. I did find this website .. is it the same Nay? I assume so since she's using the silentregrets name.

http://silentregrets.ce.ms/

Thanks so much for the information Kazulchi. I didn't realize Nay had the site for so long, so can understand her wanting a break. Just wish we would have been given prior notice so we could have downloaded as much as possible before it went down. I'm a dufus and looking at the sites posted as alternatives, I'm totally lost trying to figure out how to get to the movies/dramas, let alone download them. Silent Regrets was so easy to use and at least all were subbed in English. Thanks to Nay, you, Dash and all the others who made the site possible for as long as it was up


Hey Liz,
Long time no talk. I'm glad to hear you're doing okay. Looking at the site you posted... I've got to say that it doesn't really seem to have Nay's personality. Maybe it is her, maybe not. But it doesn't really have too much content. City Hall was the only drama I saw and it linked to another site that had the download links. I don't know. I think I'm going to keep an eye on the site to see how the owner behaves.


I pretty much lived at SR while it was online, checking at least 10 times a day to see what was new or updated. Then when it went down I still kept going there hoping it was back up. Just hope Nay is okay, does seem strange she would just disappear without any word to those who were helping her with the site. I joined this forum just so I can stay informed and hopefully get some news on what happened. Take care Kazulchi, and good luck with your Fighting!Fanubs.

User avatar
J-Pooh
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:17 am
Location: USA

Postby J-Pooh » Wed Apr 06, 2011 4:53 am

Love SR too when I first started out checking out dramas - she had subbed stuffed other places didn't (I go to am-addiction, lets-look and livejournal.jdramas).

I haven't visited the site in a while so I when noticed that it went blank about a week ago I felt sad too. I had put in time writing reviews in the comments to give back.

For those going through withdrawal, there's a site that's a combination of several sites. I don't know if people know of chinky.blogspot and DLAzmovies sites - both of which was primarily for movies then added dramas to the mix. Chinky closed consolidating with DLAznmovies, then that closed to consolidate with yellowcinema.com, now then have become this super-duper amazing site:

http://myasiancinema.com/

They post the fastest subs out there, whether it's from typical WITHS2, Viki or darksmurf I'm kdrama-centric). It's got reviews, previews, comments, ratings, etc. A really great source to check out Asian cinema in a more friendly format than jdramas, asian_dramas (another livejournal site), am-addition, lets-look, or even Aja-aja.

Plus, it's free to register and they have the philosopher getting Asian media shouldn't be exclusive or a headache. Really nice, friendly and funny people.

LizTaylor52
Posts: 9
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:38 am
Location: Arizona, USA

Postby LizTaylor52 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:29 am

Thanks for the info on myasiancinema, J-Pooh. I registered and checked it out and it does seem similar to Silent Regrets so it will work as an alternate for now. I always left comments and ratings too and even saved all the titles and URLs of the movies and dramas I've watched since SR went down, hoping to get a chance to make comments to them all when it came back up. I'm still hoping Nay and SR come back, but at least it's good to know there are other places to go to feed my addiction...lol.

User avatar
k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 2545
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:24 pm
Location: Europe

Postby k361 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:12 am

For lower quality check doramax264.com

Got some drama bookmarked at SR, i hope they will rebuild.

User avatar
J-Pooh
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:17 am
Location: USA

Postby J-Pooh » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:34 am

LizTaylor52 wrote:Thanks for the info on myasiancinema, J-Pooh. I registered and checked it out and it does seem similar to Silent Regrets so it will work as an alternate for now. I always left comments and ratings too and even saved all the titles and URLs of the movies and dramas I've watched since SR went down, hoping to get a chance to make comments to them all when it came back up. I'm still hoping Nay and SR come back, but at least it's good to know there are other places to go to feed my addiction...lol.


No prob. When I first started out and my addiction was high, I got totally flustered when I lost a connection to the drama world. So now I that I've learned how large the community of drama-addicted people are out there I try to keep my eyes open for as many alternative sources as possible. I have several more than the popular ones I've mentioned, so PM if you run into a prob., I'll try my best to help my fellow drama-seeker. ^^

chuna_212003
Posts: 1
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:06 am

Postby chuna_212003 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:14 am

Dear J-Pooh, is it the website you had mention (myasiancinema) free download like SR also? very sad as SR was offline.

User avatar
J-Pooh
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:17 am
Location: USA

Postby J-Pooh » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:33 am

@chuna_212003 - YUP. ^^ They don't enforce a "donation" either.

User avatar
iluvasiandrama
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 12:06 am
Location: USA

Postby iluvasiandrama » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:35 am

I will say that the sites people have recommended have lots of dramas. Probably more than SR. The thing I liked about SR was that it was all on one site and I too reviewed a number of dramas and read recommendations there. I haven't found anything close to SR that has regular updated reviews and posts.

Yellowcinema.com seems to have so many drama's along with am-addiction.com and some of the others on the previous page. But the reviews are slow and outdated. People don't post that much on these sites unless it's to ask about downloading. They don't write reviews often and I really really miss that part of SR, reading through current reviews.

I really hope Nay settles whatever issues there may be. I still don't think she's gone for good but no one really knows but her at this point.
Now watching: [b][color=green]Need to find some new dramas

Ryo.
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:28 pm
Location: Scotland

Postby Ryo. » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:53 pm

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm not even seeing the "Offline" page anymore. It's a pity it's gone, because it was, in my opinion, the best site for direct downloads of Japanese dramas and movies. Of all the dramas I downloaded from there, I had a problem with only one, so it was a quality site and I'm sad to see it go.

That said, as a website owner myself, in a similar position to Nay, I can completely understand what might have happened. A few years ago I was running a fairly popular site on my own. I had staff helping with some aspects, but the bulk of the work was down to me. I know from that experience that when the work starts to feel like a chore, when you stop seeing what you're personally getting out of it anymore, when you are inundated with requests for this and that, it stops feeling like a pleasure and begins to feel like a burden.

When something you've spent years building starts feeling like a burden, sometimes the only thing you can do is shut it down without warning. If you tell people it's closing and give them time to take what they want from it, that time also gives you a chance to regret your decision and change your mind. Similarly, trying to find someone else to take over...not to sound sentimental, but for website owners their sites can feel like a child, and it's like raising the child and handing it over to someone else. Not easy to do. It's not nice for all the fans of the site to suddenly see it disappear, but if this is what has happened then as someone who has been there, and who is once again in the same position with another site, I completely understand.

I hope this is what has happened rather than some more drastic problem with Nay, but if a clean break was what was needed then I'm sad to see it go and want to say to Nay the same thing I'm sure a lot of people would say - thank you for all you gave while the site was online and good luck in whatever you do from now on.

iluvasiandrama wrote:Yellowcinema.com seems to have so many drama's


Yellowcinema/myasiancinema is the site that had the dispute with the team that subbed Iryu S3. For those unaware, they took the subs created by the team without permission or credit. When they were challenged by members of the subbing team, the responses of the moderator/owner were abusive and, if I remember correctly, eventually led to a key member of the team quitting before the subbing was completed.

Not saying they're not a good site, but to use what I assume would be the politically correct terminology, I find them "ethically challenged".

That am-addiction site looks good, but if you're looking for direct downloads I'd recommend a couple of the livejournal groups:

http://community.livejournal.com/jdramas/ - has a massive library of dramas and movies, mostly focused on Japanese dramas and movies, as the name suggests, but still has a good sized collection of Korean, Chinese and other Asian movies and dramas.

http://community.livejournal.com/asian_doramas/ - again a massive library of dramas and movies, probably more than jdramas, but not all of them are subbed and sometimes it can be difficult to tell which are and which are not subbed.

Both of the above are updated regularly. JDramas has slowed down a bit recently, but that's because their rules require all dramas and movies be subbed in English and posting subtitles without permission from the subbing group that created them, but generally if you can't find it on there it's either because the series/movie hasn't been subbed or the subbing group won't allow their subtitles to be posted elsewhere.

User avatar
Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 5947
Joined: Sun Apr 09, 2006 11:27 am
Location: Sweden
Contact:

Postby Keiko1981 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:51 pm

For your information the domain silentregrets.com has not expired, it's active until 2012-01-01.
Seeding schedule Aitsu to Watashi, Akuryo Byoto, Ashita ga Aru kara, Sanbiki no Ossan (season 1)
Sutitles Status Twitter Dear My Sister, Itsuka Mata Aeru, Oshin, Seoul 1945
Where to find dramas and subtitles

User avatar
iluvasiandrama
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 12:06 am
Location: USA

Postby iluvasiandrama » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:15 pm

Ryo. wrote: When something you've spent years building starts feeling like a burden, sometimes the only thing you can do is shut it down without warning. If you tell people it's closing and give them time to take what they want from it, that time also gives you a chance to regret your decision and change your mind. Similarly, trying to find someone else to take over...not to sound sentimental, but for website owners their sites can feel like a child, and it's like raising the child and handing it over to someone else. Not easy to do. It's not nice for all the fans of the site to suddenly see it disappear, but if this is what has happened then as someone who has been there, and who is once again in the same position with another site, I completely understand.


One thing many subbers and site owners do is ignore posts that beg for subs and clearly state it in bold that if you even hint for subs, they won't do it. You work at your own pace not the pace of the fans or else you will burn out. This is not a FT job for most people, they may have family to take care of too so they do it as a hobby. I think if you do fansubbing it should be a hobby when you have time or else the fans pay money for demands.

The only thing I have to say about this portion of your post is that this is the very reason why many sites add ad-revenue pages, (click banks, google ads, etc.) and low cost memberships to help alleviate costs of running the site and as a reward to motivate the owners and subbers, etc.

SR may be converting the site into an invitation only or membership site. I would definitely pay for a site where I could watch or access DDL's for up to date English subbed Chinese/HK/TW and Japanese dramas. I haven't found one yet though.

Aja-Aja is an all Korean drama site and from what I remember, it used to be similar to SR but a few years ago, because of the things you stated in most of your post, they turned it into a membership only site.

Also, AZNV.tv for years has been an invitation only site. They make money off of a premium membership that helps ease the costs associated with their servers/bandwith and time. The regular membership stinks because the bandwith is too low to watch a full episode.

Crunchyoll has a premium membership as well but they don't have enough variety in dramas. It is heavily populated with Korean dramas, which are more easily accessible for free on Veoh, Youtube, Dailymotion, and Hulu. They are slowly adding more Chinese/TW dramas and Japanese as well but still very small for those. But for those who appreciate the hardwork and like what they see on the site, they sign up for the membership.

Chinky's blogspot has been doing this for years, full page ad-revenue generators based on amount of traffic to the site. Apparently, they are making some money because they continue to add dramas and have a decent variety of Asian dramas.

As a webmaster or blog author, if you have access to the right kinds of ad-revenue generators, you could make some nice extra money in addition to offering premium memberships.

I do understand that some areas and countries don't have access to all of these ad-revenues so for them, IDK :unsure:

So IDK, seems like there are other ways to compensate for one's hard work. I guess that's why we see lots of sites that are very old and out-dated too. People get tired and need a break but serious fans wouldn't mind paying if they had too. But this only works when you keep your site up to date.
Last edited by iluvasiandrama on Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Now watching: [b][color=green]Need to find some new dramas

User avatar
iluvasiandrama
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 12:06 am
Location: USA

Postby iluvasiandrama » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:33 pm

@Ryo. - As for the issue with yellowcinema, this happens all the time with subbers and site owners... for years now. As long as the raw work (video) is copyrighted and they all are, fansubbers take a chance on subbing it. It's hard to protect fanwork on copyrighted stuff because... well without going into too much about it, it's a tough call either way. Most fans don't care about the "internal wars that go on" they only want to see their drama. That's the reality of the things.

I'm also a member of the livejournal/jdrama page thanks for the other one asian doramas, I didn't know about that one :D

See, that just it....SR had it all in one site. Kept many of us from having to go to so many different sites... :( I hope Nay restores the site, even if it requires a paid membership. :)
Now watching: [b][color=green]Need to find some new dramas

User avatar
J-Pooh
Posts: 49
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:17 am
Location: USA

Postby J-Pooh » Sun Apr 10, 2011 3:47 pm

@iluvasiandrama - I'm a paying member of Aja-aja, they now have Jdramas and they are starting to offer Chinese-subbed dramas. One of the things they offer that other sites don't is really old dramas. They even have the Cdrama The Romance of the Three Kingdoms!

Asian_doramas are really cool to find hard-to-find Jdramas and Jmovies, mainly because they do not carry the restriction that it would need to be subbed. I noticed Kdramas and Kmovies being added more and more, but you will find hard-pressed to find any other type of Asian media.

Anyhoo, sharing my livejournal page where I try to keep a list of the links to dramas and such:
http://j-dramaq.livejournal.com/644.html

I hope it proves useful for some people.

User avatar
iluvasiandrama
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 12:06 am
Location: USA

Postby iluvasiandrama » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:01 pm

J-Pooh wrote:@iluvasiandrama - I'm a paying member of Aja-aja, they now have Jdramas and they are starting to offer Chinese-subbed dramas.:O One of the things they offer that other sites don't is really old dramas. They even have the Cdrama The Romance of the Three Kingdoms! :O

Anyhoo, sharing my livejournal page where I try to keep a list of the links to dramas and such:
http://j-dramaq.livejournal.com/644.html

I hope it proves useful for some people.


Thanks J-Pooh for the update! I will check out the new selection over at Aja-aja. :lol

BTW, I think you should know that the link to your livejournal page says access denied. IDK if it has to do with the problems livejournal has with the hackers lately? :unsure:
Now watching: [b][color=green]Need to find some new dramas

Ryo.
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:28 pm
Location: Scotland

Postby Ryo. » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:34 pm

iluvasiandrama wrote:The only thing I have to say about this portion of your post is that this is the very reason why many sites add ad-revenue pages, (click banks, google ads, etc.) and low cost memberships to help alleviate costs of running the site and as a reward to motivate the owners and subbers, etc.


I was actually referring to the emotional burden. When you set up a site it can be exciting. Then you have to work hard to build content and membership. From then on, it's all about attitude. If you see the site as a hobby and don't commit yourself to updates on specific days or try to complete big tasks with only a little time, it remains fun. If, however, you make commitments and allow yourself to listen to requests/demands from members, it can start feeling like a burden emotionally, and then the only thing a lot of site owners can do is walk away.

I agree with what you said about advertising. This can alleviate the financial burden and even give you a bit of spending money. That said, I do not have, and will never have, advertising on my site as there are other ways to make money such as donations, premium memberships (as you said) and even paid products. If I were to set up a subbing site, I would set it up so subtitled dramas and movies were only available to premium members or on a pay-per-download basis for one year, then freely available after that. It would enable those who can't afford to pay to access the content after a wait, while allowing those who can afford it to support the site in the meantime. Still, it's unclear if finances had anything to do with SR closing and as one of the many donors there, one who would have made a substantial contribution to keep the site alive, I don't think it is.

iluvasiandrama wrote:@Ryo. - As for the issue with yellowcinema, this happens all the time with subbers and site owners... for years now. As long as the raw work (video) is copyrighted and they all are, fansubbers take a chance on subbing it. It's hard to protect fanwork on copyrighted stuff because... well without going into too much about it, it's a tough call either way. Most fans don't care about the "internal wars that go on" they only want to see their drama. That's the reality of the things.


Sadly, you're right. Most people don't care where the subs came from or any internal disputes. I'm not one of them. I don't think it's appropriate for subbers to claim "ownership" over the translation of a script they didn't write, but I do think it's appropriate to credit the hard work of those people who take the time to do so. I also think it's inappropriate for a site owner/moderator to abuse and mock subbers who quite reasonably request that instead of posting subs on their site and claiming them as their own they provide either credit or a link to where the subs can be downloaded free of charge - particularly when the subs are a work in progress and subject to correction.

I'm not criticising anyone who decides to download from Yellowcinema, or myasiancinema as they're now called, but I won't be downloading from them as I prefer to use sites that do give appropriate credit and post with permission.

iluvasiandrama wrote:I'm also a member of the livejournal/jdrama page thanks for the other one asian doramas, I didn't know about that one.


They're both great sites and 90% of my drama/movie downloads have come from either SR or those two livejournal groups. In fact, between the three sites there have only been two dramas and one movie I haven't been able to find, and I haven't found them anywhere else either (well, I know Stormy has one of the dramas subbed, but it seems easier to become Pope than join that group).

User avatar
iluvasiandrama
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 12:06 am
Location: USA

Postby iluvasiandrama » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:42 pm

Ryo. wrote: In fact, between the three sites there have only been two dramas and one movie I haven't been able to find, and I haven't found them anywhere else either (well, I know Stormy has one of the dramas subbed, but it seems easier to become Pope than join that group).


LOL! That's BS. I refuse to "jump through hoops" for dramas. They may as well ask for membership up front than to make people go through so much. It might be a ploy to deter whiny fans, "please sub faster! please hurry upload next epi!". LOL IDK

There is this one blogspot page that makes you register on their site, thensign up for twitter and follow them on twitter and tweet them ?? many times, then post a certain amount on their website all before they will let you access DDL's to dramas that they didn't even sub and upload to specific file servers themselves. :salut: :roll There are too many sites out there that are much easier to access for me to go through all of that crap. :cussing: :mrgreen:
Now watching: [b][color=green]Need to find some new dramas

el_canuck
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:38 pm

Postby el_canuck » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:43 am

It will be interesting to watch as CTS becomes bigger and bigger if people will pay for subtitles. Some dramas I went back and reloaded when WS2 finished a drama, other times CTS was good enough. Will WS2 still get as many to pay the $10.00 when CTS has the subs faster than the paid members of WS2. A lot faster.

The bad/sad thing about SR is that we are finding other sites to get our drama. If Nay does come back, she may have to build her site up all over again and some will probably not come back.

dtyc
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:38 am

Postby dtyc » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:55 am

J-Pooh: thanks for the LiveJournal info. I'm registered there, but I can't access the link you mentioned above. Please advise. Thx.

I personally would be a pay member of SR in a heart beat.

And to Ryo: Thanks for the info about Yellow/myasian sites. I believe we all need to take a stand and I'm with you.

bonifidehustla
Posts: 15
Joined: Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:27 am

Postby bonifidehustla » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:10 am

el_canuck wrote:It will be interesting to watch as CTS becomes bigger and bigger if people will pay for subtitles. Some dramas I went back and reloaded when WS2 finished a drama, other times CTS was good enough. Will WS2 still get as many to pay the $10.00 when CTS has the subs faster than the paid members of WS2. A lot faster.

The bad/sad thing about SR is that we are finding other sites to get our drama. If Nay does come back, she may have to build her site up all over again and some will probably not come back.


Your right im not donating to WS2 no more it takes them forever to sub the shows i want. Instead i go to mvibo.com they have the show i want and sub it quicker and its an official KBS site.

User avatar
Kazu-Ichi
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Fire... brimsone... you get the idea.

Postby Kazu-Ichi » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:06 pm

space001 wrote:MyAsianCiNEMA.COM
Being "Ethically Challenged" Since 2009


lolz

User avatar
k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator
Posts: 2545
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:24 pm
Location: Europe

Postby k361 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:15 pm

I just recognized that myas...com do not proper label the uploaded hardsubs for some drama.
Just renaming the files and not mentions who generate the subs.

el_canuck
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:38 pm

Postby el_canuck » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:50 pm

MYAS is not fast in subbing, they just copy from other sites.
CTS (darksmurfsubs.com), can have a rough in 2 days and a finished in about 5 days.

Darksmurf--fast, with some errors
WithS2--slower, but very good
Haru2--more slower, good
B.O.N--slowest, like maybe next year

With CTS we now have two groups doing one Kdrama while on the Japanese side you still see dropped subs or no subs at all (Freeter le wo Kau)

mvibo is almost 2-3 months behind

I believe there was a viiki subs that Nay used, but now I cannot look at it, so I am not sure.

Please come back Nay

wmcnair370
Posts: 477
Joined: Tue Mar 17, 2009 12:52 am
Location: Chicago

Postby wmcnair370 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:52 pm

CTS is slowing down, not enough editors I quess so I am not using them. WithS2 is by far faster on Sparkle.

leimomi
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:22 am
Location: Hilo, Hawaii, USA

Postby leimomi » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:51 pm

:O I was surprised when it went off-line too! :-( It was a great site, but I imagine that it took a lot of work to keep it up. Nay did a great job. :cry: We'll miss her....

I hope that she is okay... :unsure: , even if she doesn't put up the site again, I know that I appreciated the work she has done over the past few years...

User avatar
Kazu-Ichi
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Fire... brimsone... you get the idea.

Postby Kazu-Ichi » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:55 pm

el_canuck wrote:MYAS is not fast in subbing, they just copy from other sites.
CTS (darksmurfsubs.com), can have a rough in 2 days and a finished in about 5 days.

Darksmurf--fast, with some errors
WithS2--slower, but very good
Haru2--more slower, good
B.O.N--slowest, like maybe next year

With CTS we now have two groups doing one Kdrama while on the Japanese side you still see dropped subs or no subs at all (Freeter le wo Kau)

mvibo is almost 2-3 months behind

I believe there was a viiki subs that Nay used, but now I cannot look at it, so I am not sure.

Please come back Nay

First of all- Myasiancinema never even claimed to be in subbing. They've said several times in several locations that they are NOT a fansubbing team. All they do is provide a central location for subs and videos so that you people won't have to run all over the net looking for what you want, just like those of us at Silent Regrets did.

Second- yes its true that the Dark Smurf Community is fast however the subs are machine translated. If you're lucky only half of the subs are right, it doesn't matter if you've got the best editors in the world if the translations are bad then you're not going to be able to produce quality subs. Furthermore an excess of editors doesn't mean that the editing will make the subs better. Too many chefs will spoil the broth.

Also, there are MANY MORE groups then just the four that you mentioned. Gods of the East Subbing Squad (goess) put out the subs for Sunao ni Narenakute and Sungkyungkwan Scandal (until they fell behind) and my group Fighting! Fansubs have consistently produced quality fansubs since our inception, even to the point where it seems as though Haru checks the quality of their subs against ours (we were competing against each other on Dream High).

el_canuck
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:38 pm

Postby el_canuck » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:48 am

I do not remember ever saying that those 4 were the only ones, but you did say that there is competing on certain Kdramas. I love the choice as we have not always had it. Of course WS2 is good did I not say that. Some dramas (Marry Me Mary, Paradise Ranch), I do not have to wait for the "real" fansubs. Bad drama is bad drama whether WS2 or CTS. I just wish we had this on the Japanese side as well. Good Jdrama is passing us by because no one is subbing it, or it is dropped after 6 episodes. It seems the good subbers try to get a relief to take over if they drop out, others you wait and wait, then forget it.
One side seems to be rich with subbers, while the other side is crying for them.
JDramas
Freeter le o Kau(Oct 2010) no subs
Massugu na Otoko (Jan 2010) dropped after 7 eps, finished 10 months later
Pro Golfer Hana Apr 2010 1-6 and waiting for the rest still.

Look under subtitle index and most of the ones dropped are Japanese. I wish CTS would spend more of their time on Jdrama and Kdrama would spread the load out more amongst all the Ksubbers.

GET ORGANIZED!

User avatar
Kazu-Ichi
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Fire... brimsone... you get the idea.

Postby Kazu-Ichi » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:33 am

Of course a bad drama is a bad drama regardless of who is subbing it, but a bad team will do nothing for a good show. It could be the best show in the world, but if the subbing is bad then people are not going to want to watch it. On several occasions I've posted subs on Silent Regrets and have had multiple complaints lodged against them because of HORRIBLE quality, despite the fact that there wasn't anything that I could do about it. When I was posting on that site all I did was find the subs and post them. What could I do when there wasn't any other subs out there then the low quality ones? That's why I have such disdain for the subs that the DSC provides. They're not up to the quality that the public deserves.

Yes it's true that there are certain Japanese shows that are not getting subbed and I truly wish that were not the case however the reason why my group is not subbing them is because 1. We are having problems finding Japanese translators, if you want Japanese shows then help me find some dedicated translators and 2. Unfortunately I hold no interest for any of the current Japanese shows. There are several shows that aired years ago that I want to do, but because I haven't got the staff for them so I can't do them. If anyone here wants to help then you can apply here http://ffsubs.com/join-us-2/.

Also, yes it's true that I had, on occasion, provided ViiKii subs at Silent Regrets (including Ueno Juri to Itsutsu no Kanban which I am actually watching as we speak) and they are often good subs, however that's a testament to the quality of the teams that worked on that particular project. The problem with that style of subbing is that you're not always going to have the same team on different projects or even if they do work together again you're not always going to know what their next project is. The purpose of having teams like WithS2, SARS, Haru, Timeless, B.O.N. and of course Fighting! is that you know what you'll get as opposed to ViiKii which you're not guaranteed to know who's going to sub it.

el_canuck
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:38 pm

Postby el_canuck » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:27 am

I like this discussion, I consider all fansubbers saints and I can not thank you all enough, but the Business Major in me says there has to be a better way. We just have to move out of this forum for SR and into one for fansubs.
Remember the bible has many interpretations but everyone still gets the gist of the story and he still gets crucified. I think that there is a place for CTS/darksmurf.

User avatar
iluvasiandrama
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 12:06 am
Location: USA

Postby iluvasiandrama » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:36 am

I don't know the three languages spoken in the dramas that I primarily watch K/J/Ch-HK-TW. So I wouldn't know if the subs are off or not unless I see lots of weird characters and _______ and stuff like that. Which I have seen in dramas but I overlooked it because I had to see the drama.

I wish there was that kind of subbing competition over more wuxia dramas :cussing: Why won't a fansub group pick up AND release even a few episodes of Strange Hero Yi Zhi Mei? Apparently help is needed with subbing it because groups have been claiming that they are doing so since Jan/Feb and not one eng sub'd episode has been released yet. :unsure:

I would pay membership for fast good subs of Japanese and Chinese/HK/TW dramas. I don't care about the quality HD or SD all that crap I just want to watch the drama. Seems like you can get Kdramas every and anywhere and don't have to wait as long. Jdorama and Cdrama gets put on the back.

I checked Nay's twitter account and there are no tweets :-( I hope she is reading this forum. Please come back Nay. :cry:
Now watching: [b][color=green]Need to find some new dramas

User avatar
Kazu-Ichi
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Fire... brimsone... you get the idea.

Postby Kazu-Ichi » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:47 am

iluvasiandrama wrote:I wish there was that kind of subbing competition over more wuxia dramas


Actually Fighting! has a branch family that is working on wuxia. Their current project is Beyond the Realm of Conscience and they're releasing it on a regular basis. It might not be the project that you want, but my point is that there are groups doing wuxia. If they get more help then they'll be able to take on more projects and perhaps even the project that you want.

dtyc
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:38 am

Postby dtyc » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:52 am

Quality of subtitles is huge for me. I'm with you on that, Kazu-Ichi. I love J-Dramas; and above all else, I love Asadoras and Taigas. But subs for Asadoras are far and few between; excellent quality, i.e., Kaneyamaboy's Sanada Taiheiki and Haruspex's Churasan.

User avatar
iluvasiandrama
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 12:06 am
Location: USA

Postby iluvasiandrama » Tue Apr 12, 2011 2:55 am

Kazu-Ichi wrote:
iluvasiandrama wrote:I wish there was that kind of subbing competition over more wuxia dramas


Actually Fighting! has a branch family that is working on wuxia. Their current project is Beyond the Realm of Conscience and they're releasing it on a regular basis. It might not be the project that you want, but my point is that there are groups doing wuxia. If they get more help then they'll be able to take on more projects and perhaps even the project that you want.


I tried aja-aja and you have to be a member just to access their wuxia drama list, not the videos, just the list. I will check out Fighting! subs but I find that several different subbers for wuxia will sub the same drama?? It seems like if one or two groups is subbing then the next group would sub something else. Why 3 groups subbing the same drama??

I'm just frustrated because it's been since January/Feb and not one eng sub episode released for Strange Hero Yi Zhi Mei?? :x I think I will try to read up on how to do your own subs. Even if it is half right.

I know but I have been waiting for that one for a long time. There are several groups subbing but like you said they need more help but if I knew a group was taking Strange Hero Yi Zhi Mei and started to release at least the first couple of subs I would be willing to pay for it but I know it takes more than my few pennies to make things happen.

I don't want it to come across like I am asking for someone here to pick it up, if you do then that's on you, but my point is that Kdrama is more easy to find subbed in English than others. But Nay tried to spread out the subs between the 3 major Asian groups... something that other sites are lacking in. She really did put lots of hard work into that site.

EDIT: I just found the first 3 episodes of Strange Hero released on Viki and the episodes are full length, not broken up into parts. Yahoo!! :cheers: I still miss Nay :roll
Now watching: [b][color=green]Need to find some new dramas

el_canuck
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:38 pm

Postby el_canuck » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:13 am

iluvasiandrama makes a good point that the fansubbers do not take into account and should. If we do not speak the language, whatever it is, then all we care about is speed.
"Dae Mul" was finished airing by Dec 2010, Haru2 is still working on it. How many are still waiting for it and how many have watched the CTS subs good or bad (remember if you do not speak the language how would you know) and moved on. If fansubbers like Haru are small groups and get tired or bogged down sometimes, then why waist time on a Kdrama that has already been subtitled and is 5 months old? I do not care what you say, that is bad time management. If CTS is going to keep having fast subs then the small subbers should unite to make a big group to compete against CTS or they will be joining others and quitting.
I think CTS is the future and the fansubbers are not prepared for it.

User avatar
Kazu-Ichi
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Fire... brimsone... you get the idea.

Postby Kazu-Ichi » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:59 am

el_canuck wrote:remember if you do not speak the language how would you know

Because bad grammar and spelling is still bad grammar and spelling "Mr. waist time". I don't give a flying rip if the translation is slightly off, I on occasion take creative liberties in my editing of our dramas. However there has to be a standard of quality and the Darksmurf community does not have it. As I already said the Darksmurf community has too many people working on the same thing at the same time and because of that the quality of their subs suffer.

Trust me, I'm VERY good at predictions (I saw the iPad coming two years before it was even announced), and I guarantee that the DSC will NEVER take over fansubbing because the entire staff are unskilled amateurs who don't properly check their work.

Goess might be taking forever to finish Sungkyunkwan Scandal, but I'd still rather know that the people who are working on it are dedicated people rather then just some random people on the internet.

You know... there was a similar story in the manga Bakuman recently. A young new author found 50 people on the internet to give him ideas for his book. He was rude and abusive to his editor and completely ignored him. His manga was so bad because he had too many people telling him what to do. The DSC can't survive because there's too many people with too many different opinions trying to do things their own way. People will get fed up with their voice not being heard or not getting any credit for their work and will leave.

el_canuck
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:38 pm

Postby el_canuck » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:25 pm

If you were wise about the iPad, then you know you do not sit on your laurels you always change a bit to keep ahead of the competition and now you have competition. I am not for speed, my favorite subbers are WS2 on Kdrama and Giri,Giri for Jdrama. I just think that now with competition the masses will take the faster service. I remember looking at the sub sites and all they would say is don't bug us or we will stop if you keep nagging us and I think there are quite a few of those people who will switch to CTS.
I just switch to Japanese for awhile and then when the subbing is through I switch back to K and watch the drama or vice versa.
Keep fansubbing please, but don't look back, someone may be gaining on you.

User avatar
iluvasiandrama
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 12:06 am
Location: USA

Postby iluvasiandrama » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:13 am

I thought about this and wanted to share if anyone was interested, another option for fansubbers is to do like viki and host your own video player.

I wonder if what mysoju.com and dramacrazy.net is the same thing yellowcinema/myasiancinema.com is accused of doing? They claim that they don't host files on their site but I found out that mysoju does.

So I am just wondering, what is everyone's opinion regarding the closest site to SR? Who does fastest subbing for Ch/TW/HK and J dramas? I would like to know because I am currently spending hours searching for dramas online and need some help.
Now watching: [b][color=green]Need to find some new dramas

dtyc
Posts: 493
Joined: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:38 am

Postby dtyc » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:33 am

CTS/DSC, no, they're not gaining. If they were, would you be here commenting? You wouldn't give a you-know-what about this forum (please don't make an old lady swear). It really is because you care. Now, young people, patience is a virtue. Now why would you go through life knowing only "half" of a whole? It's exactly like crappy subs, you only get half of the meaning. Is that OK with you, to go through life getting and knowing only half? It's NOT OK with me and I'm already more than half way through life. Think about it.

Keep up the good and quality work, fansubbers!

User avatar
Kazu-Ichi
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Fire... brimsone... you get the idea.

Postby Kazu-Ichi » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:35 am

dtyc wrote:CTS/DSC, no, they're not gaining. If they were, would you be here commenting? You wouldn't give a you-know-what about this forum (please don't make an old lady swear). It really is because you care. Now, young people, patience is a virtue. Now why would you go through life knowing only "half" of a whole? It's exactly like crappy subs, you only get half of the meaning. Is that OK with you, to go through life getting and knowing only half? It's NOT OK with me and I'm already more than half way through life. Think about it.

Keep up the good and quality work, fansubbers!

My point exactly. lol

User avatar
lollercopter
Posts: 282
Joined: Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:33 am

Postby lollercopter » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:37 am

Ryo. wrote:They're both great sites and 90% of my drama/movie downloads have come from either SR or those two livejournal groups. In fact, between the three sites there have only been two dramas and one movie I haven't been able to find, and I haven't found them anywhere else either (well, I know Stormy has one of the dramas subbed, but it seems easier to become Pope than join that group).

I have yet to run into a Livejournal group that wasn't absolutely insufferable. Stormy is merely the worst of them. These groups all act like they're private Bittorrent trackers, except their downloads are all hosted on Megaupload and whatnot, or they act like they're the copyright holders of all these dramas and movies. It's retarded.

There are too many drama queens in the drama community who only care about their e-fame. I have never seen such behavior among movie fansubbers, and from what I've seen so far of the anime fansub scene they aren't like that either.

User avatar
emma-ba
Posts: 369
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 2:07 pm
Contact:

Postby emma-ba » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:25 am

lollercopter wrote:
Ryo. wrote:They're both great sites and 90% of my drama/movie downloads have come from either SR or those two livejournal groups. In fact, between the three sites there have only been two dramas and one movie I haven't been able to find, and I haven't found them anywhere else either (well, I know Stormy has one of the dramas subbed, but it seems easier to become Pope than join that group).

I have yet to run into a Livejournal group that wasn't absolutely insufferable. Stormy is merely the worst of them. These groups all act like they're private Bittorrent trackers, except their downloads are all hosted on Megaupload and whatnot, or they act like they're the copyright holders of all these dramas and movies. It's retarded.

There are too many drama queens in the drama community who only care about their e-fame. I have never seen such behavior among movie fansubbers, and from what I've seen so far of the anime fansub scene they aren't like that either.


Do you mean specifically fansubbing groups on livejournal? The two communities that Ryo mentioned on livejournal just links to uploads so there's not any competitiveness or drama-queening going on. They're really good resources.

sinecure
Posts: 98
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:16 pm
Contact:

Postby sinecure » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:43 pm

i guess here's my 2 cents for whatever it's worth. i think the friendly little banter between CTS and other fansub groups is all a bit silly. the way i look at it is that all of them do a great job. CTS is very timely with their releases and although to some it may not meet up to their standards doesn't not mean they don't provide an invaluable service to the community. in regards to all subbing groups, the main point is that all of them are doing this so that people can understand what they are watching better. so who is right in telling who how one may watch a particular show? bottom line is that whatever method one chooses to watch their programs/shows is the right method! as long as you are satisfied with the method you use to watch your shows what difference does it make? we are talking about entertainment here... so why all the seriousness.

from someone who watches everything without subs. all i can say is that i give kudos to all fansub groups! while i may not need them personally, i do appreciate their efforts!

to draw some parallel... for those that don't know me. i'm one of the major uploaders at am-addiction. i upload all different formats from xvids all the way up to 1080. i personally watch everything in 720p or the highest resolution whenever possible. but i upload lower res for our members. why? even tho i prefer higher quality when watching i understand that some don't care as much as i do about video quality. in fact the most popular format that people download off me is xvid hanrel. why? since it's the most popular choice among fansub groups. even tho there are other rippers that release so much faster. ie. CEO releases much faster and more consistently than hanrel with comparable quality.. and speaking of quality, these are xvids i'm talking about! far worse than the x264 formats... also, i release early xvids so the impatient members can get their fix as soon as possible...

so for me, i upload a wide variety of formats and try to get them out as soon as possible. cause, there's people that download the early xvids, there are some that only want xvids from hanrel, and then some that want higher res like 450p or 720s or even 1080s... what flavor they want i try to provide cause i don't really care what your personal taste is, i'm just trying to help the community by contributing something... if you appreciate my efforts then great! if ya don't like the site that i belong to and upload to then great get them elsewhere! different strokes for different folks!

remember we are are all here to enjoy what is offered. appreciate what is given for free! donate to wherever you think deserves it cause none us do it for the money and it does cost real money to buy servers and such to maintain a site! so having multiple fansubbing groups, having mulitple sources for raw vids... it's all good from my perspective.

as far as SR going down? sorry to hear about that... i never really heard about them before... i'm not familiar with other places other than here d-addicts and am-a...

el_canuck
Posts: 224
Joined: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:38 pm

Postby el_canuck » Thu Apr 14, 2011 2:46 am

Well said, I am amazed by the fansubbers that they carry a big chip on their shoulders. All I and others have ever said is thank you and yet when I mentioned CTS you would have thought I had blasphemed against the lord.
Some people like Lexus others like Mini-Coopers. Each gets you there.

I heard that Haru and CTS were working on a project together, interesting if it is true.

I would also say to sinecure, a big thank you, all this is possible with the effort that you and people like you, put in to send us the dramas. I have and will watch a drama with no subtitles, my Japanese is weak and my Korean is zilch, nada none. But without the video there is no drama, no discussion, no fan subbers, period.

We should always remember that.

User avatar
iluvasiandrama
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat May 23, 2009 12:06 am
Location: USA

Postby iluvasiandrama » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:48 am

Thanks to all fansubbers for your hard work! I can't make it through one raw video unless it's the last episode of a drama that I love. So I rely on your efforts whether big or small.
Now watching: [b][color=green]Need to find some new dramas

ryc3
Posts: 40
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2008 2:20 pm
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Postby ryc3 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:31 am

I can sub in Japanese but for me it's just a waste of time because of understanding the story line and learning "new" slangs and words. Some guy on youtube asked me to sub Full Metal Alchemist season 3. I told him the reason why I wouldn't do it. It's because I hate watching anime and I'd have to watch it from the beginning to understand the story line.

User avatar
Kazu-Ichi
Posts: 56
Joined: Wed May 05, 2010 2:46 pm
Location: Fire... brimsone... you get the idea.

Postby Kazu-Ichi » Fri Apr 15, 2011 9:31 am

ryc3 wrote:I can sub in Japanese but for me it's just a waste of time because of understanding the story line and learning "new" slangs and words. Some guy on youtube asked me to sub Full Metal Alchemist season 3. I told him the reason why I wouldn't do it. It's because I hate watching anime and I'd have to watch it from the beginning to understand the story line.

Would you consider subbing a drama then? My group Fighting! Fansubs is desperately attempting to expand our group from just Kdramas into Jdramas as well but we're having problems finding Japanese translators. If you're not interested in anime then please consider my request.

grumgetta_25
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Aug 13, 2008 8:30 am

Postby grumgetta_25 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:20 pm

First of all, to Nay we miss you!

Because bad grammar and spelling is still bad grammar and spelling "Mr. waist time". I don't give a flying rip if the translation is slightly off, I on occasion take creative liberties in my editing of our dramas. However there has to be a standard of quality and the Darksmurf community does not have it. As I already said the Darksmurf community has too many people working on the same thing at the same time and because of that the quality of their subs suffer.

I feel that the above comment is not fair so in response to this:
I'm not speaking for DarkSmurf Community this is my personal take on the matter.

At DS there is a machine translation which translates the subtitles from a chinese srt file, after which translators, editors and quality checkers get a chance to work on the subtitle. There is a request not to download the subs until it is at least 90% edited and checked. If people choose to download before this stage there is no guarantee of the quality they will receive.
It is a fairly new community however we do have standards in place. The quality of the subtitles being produced have increased and they are up to par with S2 and Haru. There are subtitle guidelines which must be adhered to when working on a project. They have a dedicated translator team, editor team, timing team and QC team.
It is true that the popular dramas get released faster because there are more volunteers, however there are incentives in place for those who work on less popular titles. Most of the projects picked up by DS are completed. They do not ask for payment, and the rules are the same with all the fansubbing communities out there.
Many of us get frustrated that the subs are not out when we want them. DS puts the power back into the viewers hands. If you want the subs now then come and help out. They do take requests and as the site grows, more hands make work light.
There are many examples in the fansubbing world of incomplete projects with no one else to take them up, this is especially true of Chinese/Taiwanese dramas. At the moment DS is not working on these dramas however later down the track this can be added on.
As for the Japanese dramas there were only a handful taken up by DS as the others already have subs or have been taken up by other teams.

Fansubbing in any shape or form is not easy and any fansubbing group is at the mercy of their volunteers. It is has always been a group effort and for anyone who has does this on their own they know that a simple 3 minute music video could involve hours of work from translation, timing, editing, k-timing, typesetting, encoding and finally uploading.

About me:
I volunteer at DS and other fansubbing communities J-drama,K-drama,TW-drama and I do solo projects from time to time. If anyone is interested in learning fansubbing I would be more than happy to lend a hand.

That's all folks!


Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests