Gokusen 3 [Eng Subs] (Ep 01 of 11) [DROPPED]

You can find/upload subtitle files for tv drama series here.
Please use the Fansubbing forum to discuss subtitles.
henna_sapporo

Gokusen 3 [Eng Subs] (Ep 01 of 11) [DROPPED]

Postby henna_sapporo » Sun Jun 15, 2008 6:27 am

Henna_Sapporo is proud to present Gokusen 3 in soft-subs.

Gokusen 3 wiki

Gokusen 3 - episode 1 full recap (text)

Due to time constraints and conflicting academic schedules, we are not able to bring you Gokusen 3 as our primary drama. Technically speaking, we are sitting out the spring season. However, given that all three of us love Gokusen, we wanted to fiddle with this anyway.

Our translators are experimenting with a new way to collaborate. Each translator has been assigned specific characters to work with in order to maintain that character's voice and hopefully enable the translators to equally share the workload. One prefers more literal translations and the other two prefer more meaning-based ones. Therefore, we all gave into our academic proclivities and we hope this does not mar your viewing pleasure.

Our version of Gokusen 3 is not related to existing translations (hard or soft). Hence, there is every possibility there might huge discrepancies among the various versions.

As usual, we have lots and lots of notes. Although we've encased them in spoiler space, we will do everything possible not to spoil anything because it's best if the notes are read beforehand.

Notes for Episode 01
Takano Aoi accidentally refers to Sawatari as Sarutawari and he is offended. The word "saru" means "monkey" in Japanese.

Rijichou literally means "chairman of the board." In the academic sense, she is the Superintendent and we will use that title. Her primary duties are fundraising and recruitment. Akadouis a private high school.

The southern islands probably refer to Okinawa.

nametaraakanzeyo means "Don't mess with me!” It's a famous line from the movie,
Gokudo no Tsumatachi (Gotutsuma)- Gangster Wife. Gokusen (Gangster Teacher) is a spin-off.

Oyassan will be rendered in English as Godfather.

Ojou means "young mistress" in the same way botchan means "young master."

Kumiko's grandfather's lieutenant, Wakamatsu, has a given name with three potential kanji readings: Kouzou, Hirozou or Hiromi.

Iwashita Shima is the Gotutsuma (gangster wife).

Yankumi refers to the class leader as atama, which literally means "head" in Japanese.

The yen/dollar exhange rate fluctuates. As of yesterday, the rate was 1 dollar = 107 yen.

Yankumi often uses curious vocabulary that takes others off guard. Henna_Juna explained it best in one of our email exchanges. "…So the many instances where Yankumi says something in public and everyone else looks at her funny and she has to make some excuse for saying it...I don't think they're ever necessarily bad words or dirty words or disrespectful, just different, but that difference is important because it distinguishes her, and gives her identity away.”

When Yankumi meets her Romeo, she says, "I've finally arrived...the red thread." She is refering to the red thread of faith/destiny. It is the same as soulmates or a twin flame.

Senko is a negative way to refer to a sensei (teacher). We translate senko as "damn teacher."

On all levels, Japanese society is divided into two groups: uchi (insiders) and soto (outsiders). Within uchi, there are various emotional nuances. The most important being nakama. It has been said that nakama is "an almost tribal closeness, an almost promiscuous degree of intimacy." The closest English terms are probably "family friend" or "best friend" or "good friend" or "close friend" or "true friend." It also could be used as "camaraderie" or "brotherhood." We may have used all of these English words depending on context.

There are many references to facing your students head-on or running straight into them in this drama. One way to envision it is to think of sumo wrestlers and their tachiai (the initial charge). It is believed the tachiai is the meeting of two spirits. In sumo, the rikishi (sumotori/wrestlers) slam into each other and very often their heads meet with considerable force.

There is almost an entire scene in which there is no translation. This is because Yankumi is basically saying the same thing over and over again. We think you'd get a deeper sense of her emotions if you watched it free of distracting words.

Please respect us and....
    Do not use our subtitles to create hard-subbed videos.

Do not upload these subs to any streaming sites like Crunchyroll, Veoh, YouTube and the like.

Do not upload these subtitles to any other site, public or private. If you mention us, please link directly to this topic as .srt does not require the use of a file sharing program. We wish to remain as low key as possible or the powers that be might force us to cease translating.

Contact us privately If you wish to translate these subs into another language.
Attachments
Gokusen 3rd ep01 (704x396 Divx6).srt
Gokusen 3 - Episode 01
(62.49 KiB) Downloaded 3030 times
Last edited by henna_sapporo on Sat Jun 21, 2008 1:33 pm, edited 3 times in total.

toma_sis

Postby toma_sis » Sun Jun 15, 2008 12:35 pm

thanks for the softsubtitle.. I'm waiting for it :)

Obsidian

Postby Obsidian » Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:43 pm

Fantastic! You just saved this terrible weekend. :wub: Thank you so much for the subs! :D

Rina~

Postby Rina~ » Sun Jun 15, 2008 3:56 pm

DOMO ARIGATO :-) )))))))))))

Rori

Postby Rori » Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:03 pm

Oh, you have episode 01 done! Thanks very much!
ava: juneylovely/genieforyou-lj

phlongforn

Postby phlongforn » Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:39 pm

So nice to detect you're around!
Soft subs rule! This ought really to help because there's also a set for ep 01 designed to help learners. Watching once with subs and then again without is an awesome way to develop language skill.
And, BTW, *.srt so...ooo beats *.ass because many video players let one move SRT subs to the black bar below the picture.

minimin

Postby minimin » Mon Jun 16, 2008 2:47 am

Thank you so much. I didnt want to waste the raws that I downloaded so I was waiting for softsubs. Thank you guys. Your subs is greatly appreciated and hoping to see more from you guys. ^^

Mylani

Postby Mylani » Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:16 am

thank you so much for the soft subs!

Di@na

Postby Di@na » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:19 pm

i am glad that you start to sub it! THANK U ^^
d-addicts user: since 2nd oct. 2004

Lettherbelov

Postby Lettherbelov » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:50 am

Suge!!!!!!
Was waiting for it!! thank you so much for this, you're great, thanks again for your hard work!!
Take care,
xxx

ningaiuchi

Postby ningaiuchi » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:10 am

thank you so much

i'm waiting for this sub so long time (^_^)

Puszedli

Postby Puszedli » Fri Jun 20, 2008 10:50 am

Thanks so much for the soft sub.
Currently watching: I DO I DO, Rich man, poor woman, GTO, Mikeneko Holmes no Suiri, Omoni Naitemasu

pwincessYYS

Postby pwincessYYS » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:24 pm

thankyou so much ^^
im glad you started to do softsubs =]
ive been waiting for this heheh
thankyou thankyou thankyou!!!!

henna_sapporo

Postby henna_sapporo » Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:53 am

Thank you so much for your support. We will get episode 2 out to you as soon as we can.

In preparation for our future collaborations (primary dramas), we decided to do a little experiment with episode recaps. Hence, we are using Gokusen 3 as our practice arena. You can find the full recap here: Gokusen 3 - episode 1 full recap (text)

Links to all the episode recaps will be placed in the original post when they are available.

Thank you again!

crazybone86

Postby crazybone86 » Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:16 pm

at last SOFTSUB.....thank you so much....really appreciate it

minimin

Postby minimin » Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:20 pm

Recaps. Nice. You guys are doing a good job with them. Thanks for letting us know. Ganbatte on the other subs. ^^

Wickster

Postby Wickster » Mon Jun 23, 2008 4:29 am

Thank you for the softSub.

ranjitha

Postby ranjitha » Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:24 pm

omg!

thanks for the subs!
love ya'll
:wub: :wub:

soo love gokusen!
really... thank you :-)

Sapporo Girl

Postby Sapporo Girl » Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:05 am

We're sorry for the delay in uploading the subs for episode 2. Two of us aren't quite in sync, but we'll get it together. Like many people here, I prefer softsubs and we are still committed to making templates for speakers of other languages.

junior_pansy

Postby junior_pansy » Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:24 am

Sapporo Girl wrote:We're sorry for the delay in uploading the subs for episode 2. Two of us aren't quite in sync, but we'll get it together. Like many people here, I prefer softsubs and we are still committed to making templates for speakers of other languages.

Thanks for staying so committed to this project..... was worried you were going to drop it....

Gambatte :cheers:

Sapporo Girl

Postby Sapporo Girl » Fri Jul 11, 2008 4:01 am

junior_pansy wrote:Thanks for staying so committed to this project..... was worried you were going to drop it....

Gambatte :cheers:

Thank you. We're sorry to have made you worry. Living in two different countries on two different academic schedules is quite taxing. I'll be freed up in three weeks, but we hope to get a couple of episodes out before then. All three of us truly love Gokusen! They can repeat it 20 times and I personally will still laugh and wait for Grandpa Kuroda's sensible speeches.

Thank you for hanging in here although we know other subs exist.

SG

WatakushiWaSai

Postby WatakushiWaSai » Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:02 pm

That's great! Soft Subs

Arigatou~ m(_ _)m

moviefile

Postby moviefile » Fri Aug 15, 2008 1:16 am

Will the subtitles for the subsequent episodes appear in this thread as well? :scratch:

surplusletterbox

Postby surplusletterbox » Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:43 pm

Chinese unicode big5 and GB episodes complete softsubs up on http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_64859.htm if you cannot wait for the English and you can read chinese. Alternative is to download the SARS English hardsub.
Last edited by surplusletterbox on Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

henna_sapporo

Postby henna_sapporo » Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:29 am

We are sorry for the delay. With all three of us buried in research and presentations, it was very difficult to concentrate on these subtitles. This is why we could not undertake <i>Gokusen 3</i> as a primary drama in the first place. As the experiment we're running requires two of us to work on the subs using a specific method, one person just cannot sit down and fill in the blanks.

We hope to resume the experiment in October when we also undertake our Fall primary drama, Black Monday. We will do our best to get it and Gokusen 3 out to you as soon as possible. It will get done!!

surplusletterbox

Postby surplusletterbox » Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:30 am

henna_sapporo wrote:We are sorry for the delay. With all three of us buried in research and presentations, it was very difficult to concentrate on these subtitles. This is why we could not undertake <i>Gokusen 3</i> as a primary drama in the first place. As the experiment we're running requires two of us to work on the subs using a specific method, one person just cannot sit down and fill in the blanks.

We hope to resume the experiment in October when we also undertake our Fall primary drama, Black Monday. We will do our best to get it and Gokusen 3 out to you as soon as possible. It will get done!!

Thanks for the update on the status of the English subs. What is the "Black Monday" drama as I cannot find info on it? If it Bloody Monday ブラッディ・マンデイ?

henna_sapporo

Postby henna_sapporo » Fri Sep 26, 2008 8:57 am

surplusletterbox wrote:Thanks for the update on the status of the English subs. What is the "Black Monday" drama as I cannot find info on it? If it Bloody Monday ブラッディ・マンデイ?

It is indeed Bloody Monday. At times, the constant code-switching is too much. :D We are still committed to getting Gokusen 3 completed.

akame_love

Postby akame_love » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:05 pm

thank you so much

akame_love

Postby akame_love » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:11 pm

thank you so much

junior_pansy

Postby junior_pansy » Fri Oct 24, 2008 1:25 pm

henna_sapporo wrote:We are sorry for the delay...........
...............We will do our best to get it and Gokusen 3 out to you as soon as possible. It will get done!!

Work takes precedence....

So we shall wait patiently for both Gokusen 3 and Bloody Monday...

:salut:

Koizora2005

Postby Koizora2005 » Wed Jul 22, 2009 2:12 pm

please everyone
i need the full English subs for Gokusen 3 pleaseee !!!!!!!!!!!

fhanggi

Postby fhanggi » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:59 pm

Thank you very much for subbing. :cheers:

watersoflethe

Postby watersoflethe » Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:17 am

wow soft subs... thank you :D

nekof4

Postby nekof4 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:50 pm

thank you

u8601049

Postby u8601049 » Mon May 05, 2014 8:10 pm

wow!!! my favirote! thank you so much for the subs!

Return to “Subtitles”