Kimi Hannin Janai yo ne (Edited) [Japanese Subs] (Ep 1)

You can find/upload subtitle files for tv drama series here.
Please use the Fansubbing forum to discuss subtitles.
elo

Kimi Hannin Janai yo ne (Edited) [Japanese Subs] (Ep 1)

Postby elo » Thu May 22, 2008 11:13 pm

Kimi Hannin Janai yo ne episope one Japanese subtitles with English verb and noun translation under most of the subtitles. Also special thanks and much much appreciation goes to rokonoko's for the
original subs. Please come back rokonoko! I've interpreted rokonoko comments
on the subtitle post as we are free to use as we like as the subs were
extracted from the original TV signal, but there seems to be some
confusion.Rokonoko, if this is an unacceptable use of your subs please let
me know (I'll also been sending a message to double check).
This can be used for people studying Japanese to help with learning new words and Kanji.
I took the translations from http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.htmlJim Breen's Translate words in Japanese text section.
Attachments
Kimi Hannin Janai yo ne ep01 (704x396 DivX6).srt
Kimi Hannin Janai yo ne episope 1 Japanese subtitles with English verb and noun translation under most of the subtitles. To help with learning Japanese.
(122.72 KiB) Downloaded 786 times
Last edited by elo on Fri May 23, 2008 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

First Class Wota

Postby First Class Wota » Thu May 22, 2008 11:49 pm

This is awesome and helpful thanks! Only thing is I'm not sure I want to watch the whole 1st episode again @_@ lol

EDIT: For some reason the .srt file isnt working for me??? is there something I need to do first?? The original .srt for the regular subs for episode 1 worked fine. soooo

Takekaze

Postby Takekaze » Fri May 23, 2008 5:44 am

Uhm.. you do realize that there are people, who speak English and who study Japanese but who are not English, right?

Besides... it's been done already. Japanese subtitles for “Kimi Hannin Janai yo ne?”: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_60323.htm

Are these subs yours or are you just using Rokonoko's work and add a few lines? Considering that the timing is exactly the same as in Rokonoko's it seems that you're using Rokonoko's subs and just add a few lines (something anyone with a dictionary can do himself). For example, line 77, "否定 (ひてい) (n,vs) (1) negation; denial; repudiation;" looks very much like a simple copy and paste job (copy from any useful online dictionary pasted into somebody else's work).

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby InTr4nceWeTrust » Fri May 23, 2008 6:43 am

So...this is rokonoko's subtitles with English translations below it? If it is, do you have rokonoko's permission to do so?
ありません

can

Postby can » Fri May 23, 2008 7:47 am

I think this is an interesting concept, but it's very messy and inconsistent. You should be more selective in the definitions.
InTr4nceWeTrust wrote:So...this is rokonoko's subtitles with English translations below it? If it is, do you have rokonoko's permission to do so?

There are a few people using her timings for releasing translations. Personally I would say she's pretty free about what people do with them from that thread Takekaze linked:
rokonoko wrote:So feel free to start your own thread and produce your own *fixed* release.

If Rokonoko will let someone go through and touch up the timings, I think this isn't so bad. Of course right now it's a rhetorical question since no one knows where she is. [rokonoko's status: MIA 12 days] We all miss you rokonoko!

@ elo I think it would be appropriate to credit rokonoko in your post. These would probably be better as a hardsub. You might see if you can find a typsetter and encoder to do this with you. (good luck with that)Overall I don't see what's wrong with pasting definitions into subs if you choose the appropriate definition and it looks good in the end. It's saving others work of doing it.

Good idea poorly executed.

Takekaze

Postby Takekaze » Fri May 23, 2008 8:24 am

can, it's not really a "fixed" release (using her timing for translating subtitles inot English, German, whatever is something different. IMO). It's Rokonoko's work, plus a few words that were run through an online dictionary and that's it. No offense, but... If I have the Japanese subs... I take a Langenscheidt or a Hadamitzky, which are the two German standard dictionaries for Japanese (of course, only if you are German or Austrian, but I'm sure there are similar dictionaries in English), plus the good old Ikubundo or the Japanese-German dictionary from Sanshusha (useful to make sure there are no mistakes) and look the stuff up there (it works, you have the subs, hear the pronunciation, and the rest is easy, 10 seconds work, done). Agreed, it takes some effort but eh... That's how you learn things, it takes effort. Those dictionaries are 100% accurate and in use at all the German and Austrian universities -albeit expensive, especially the Langenscheidt. I have all four and I LOVE them. Oh yes, there are non-English people studying Japanese (OMG! What a concept!) I tell you how I do it: Drama X has a word I don't know, but... I know the pronunciation. With the pronunciation I can look it up in the Sanshusha (I always call it that because that's the publisher), that gives me the kanji and the German translation. Then I can look it up in the Hadamitzky, and with that I get the number and order of strokes for the kanji (that's something no subtitle can give you, yet this is a vital part of the kanji; which is the big problem of subs like this one here, it may teach you to read it, but not to write it, which is, IMO, half-assed). And bingo. With that I can practice the kanji. Agreed, it takes effort to do that, but eh... learning things always takes effort.

How trustworthy is the dictionary used for this project? I don't trust people I don't know, who use dictionaries I don't know, with translations I haven't checked myself. Sorry, but I've seen too much crap with English<->German, German<->Japanese, English<->Japanese translations, thus I'm veeeeeery careful.

But forget all of this for a second and let me get to the, IMO, most important part:
At least have the decency and the sense of honor and give proper credit to Rokonoko for the original subs.

furransu

Postby furransu » Fri May 23, 2008 9:40 am

in all of rokonoko's thread she/he said that we may you use the subtitles provided, but need to inform him/her if you want to modify and reupload the japanese sub :)

and hopefully rokonoko is back soon :( we all have been missing the latest japanese subs

can

Postby can » Fri May 23, 2008 10:32 am

Um... who cares about all your dictionaries. I don't think that taking the time to look up words actually makes them more memorable. It's a waste of time if there is a way to do it faster and easier. That's why Japanese people use electronic ones. Dictionaries are not 100% accurate. Even great ones. Language changes and you are dealing with two living languages. Universities don't always use the best resources. I don't care for Hadamitzky's Kanji Dictionary, but Kanji and Kana is a good resource that's undergone enough revisions to eliminate errors.

So what if people other than English speakers are learning Japanese. This isn't a thread about how Japanese is only learned by English speakers. It's for people who do speak English. Oh the horror!

My point was that rokonoko is pretty free about the subs from my experience. She doesn't type all that out, it's a capture from CC and the time marks come with it, as I understand it, so it's a matter aligning it to the raws. It's an incredible resource and it took some ingenuity to put it together, but elo did put time into this as well. I agree that credit is due and if you read my post it does say the same thing. I said it was a good idea and interesting, but wasn't as well done as it might have been.

Now, beyond the credit issue, not everyone learns the same as you, so why complain about what someone tried to do. It seems like you aren't happy with it, so I don't see any reason for a German version to be produced. I'm glad you could drive this off topic as well.

Shii

Postby Shii » Fri May 23, 2008 10:51 am

can wrote:Um... who cares about all your dictionaries. I don't think that taking the time to look up words actually makes them more memorable. It's a waste of time if there is a way to do it faster and easier. That's why Japanese people use electronic ones.

OK, now I have to disagree. People always remember better things they had to put effort into, than things that just came their way.
There are people for whom these subs might be fine, but as for me, I prefer normal Japanese subs, if any, because I use dramas for my listening comprehension mostly. If there's a word that bothers me, I check it in a dictionary, but it's usually only a few words per show (if any :P). It's better to do it this way, because then I can remember them. If I get bombarded by thousands of definitions I'm sure I won't remember any of the words. And I don't think any of the drama is interesting enough to watch it over and over again within a short period of time.

And electronic dictionaries still need you to put in effort to look for the appropriate word. You just find it faster than with a regular one. And they don't take up so much space :D

That's all I wanted to say.

As for the subtitles, I don't find them particularly useful, but I'm sure there will be people who will. I appreciate elo's work, but he/she should credit all the resources they used in making them.

elo

Postby elo » Fri May 23, 2008 1:52 pm

Oh hazukashii
Sorry the word 'speaking' didn't fit into the subject heading of the thread
as the character length was quite limited so I removed it. I wanted it to
say.

Japanese subs for English 'speaking' people learning Japanese.

I forgot to add it back into the comments section. Gomen ne. (also in my
defence I'd had a few bevvies last night )

Also special thanks and much much appreciation goes to rokonoko's for the
original subs. Please come back rokonoko! I've interpreted rokonoko comments
on the subtitle post as we are free to use as we like as the subs were
extracted from the original TV signal, but there seems to be some
confusion. Rokonoko, if this is an unacceptable use of your subs please let
me know (I'll also been sending a message to double check).

I realise this thread requires a lot of explanation and need to correct a
few wrongs from the original brief post.

I took the translations from http://www.csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdic.html Jim Breen's Translate words in Japanese text section. After occasionally
crosschecking with my Japanese girlfriend I find this site to be pretty good
and it is recommend on a few other sites.

Of course a caveat is I can't guarantee any of the translations are correct
and I'm sure there are mistakes in the subtitle file. Yes it is also pretty
messy as the task is a little laborious and I get a little lazy.

I found that with my limited vocabulary it was difficult to watch the
Japanese dramas for study with the English subs and pick up new words and
grammar from it without a lot of work. I tried with the Japanese subs but
with only knowledge of a few hundred Kanji this was also difficult. So I
thought it would be beneficial to add in the English translation of the
words under the Japanese to help when watching them as I watch them a few
times as a study aid. Usually the Japanese subtitles for films/TV are
different to the spoken word so it was a god send to find these that are
almost the same from rokonoko. It means a lot of pause and rewind, but I
have learnt loads of new words and kanji in the process.

I watch them during the daily commute so it is difficult to write stuff down
and use a dictionary while pushed up against the window in the train.

It took me a few hours to produce the file which I thought was a
lot of effort per episode. Copy and paste then checking the meaning is all
I've done and just deleting some of the long explanations. IMO Just saves
time looking up the words that you could use doing other study.

Also I if you want to create hardsub versions I recommend www.*videora*
.com/en-us/*Converter*/*iPod*/<http>
For quicktime/ipods, the lastest version has subtitle support and works
perfectly.

I also wanted to know if this was useful to other people or if anyone has a
better idea how to produce something as a study aid. Or they have a better
idea how to use subs as a study aid.

Let me know your thoughts or if I should remove this file. I've got more for
this series and the amusing Zettai Kareshi if anybody is interested. In
similar style of Japanese subs with English translation underneath.
Again thanks very much to rokonoko!

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby InTr4nceWeTrust » Sat May 24, 2008 3:26 pm

Just to clarify, rokonoko has stated that anybody can use these subs for anything with or without credit. Although I'm sure credit would be appreciated.
ありません

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jholic » Sun May 25, 2008 8:57 pm

i edited the title.
Use THUMBS UP/DOWN buttons to KEEP or DELETE posts.
If you see SPAM or ABUSE, use the REPORT button.

Return to “Subtitles”