Capturing Closed Captions (CC) Through 1seg Broadcasts

Discuss fansubbing issues, problems, or learn how to create fansubs.
rokonoko

Capturing Closed Captions (CC) Through 1seg Broadcasts

Postby rokonoko » Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:22 pm

Here is the description of the method which I use to extract closed captions from Japanese TV broadcasts. Also there are some practical hints for those who want to apply the method themselves.

Theory

There are several high definition broadcasting solutions in Japan. The majority of dramas tracked at this server comes from them. Someone somewhere records the broadcast of a drama and converts it into a format suitable for PC media players. The only things which get transferred to PC are video and audio. But broadcasts usually contain other types of data which get lost in the process of conversion. And closed caption (CC) is one of them. While it is possible to record the raw media stream, it is hard to get CC from it because the stream itself is scrambled. I personally don’t know if anyone was able to find a way to descramble it in a controlled environment i.e. on PC.

But there is also one broadcasting format which usually gets overlooked. Its name is “1seg” (OneSeg). It is a format for mobile media (cell phones etc.). The quality is not high but good enough for mobile devices. The broadcasted content is almost an exact copy of one of the aforementioned high definition broadcasts. Except for the scrambling. And this is good because one can lay his hands on the raw media stream and rip CC (theoretically). But on practice it is not that easy. It is not a problem to record 1seg broadcast – there are plenty of 1seg oriented TV tuners for PC. The only problem is that all manufacturers make their tuners encrypt the recorded data for copyright control.

So far so good. Or bad. It seems like there is no way to get CC without defeating some sort of protection (which is also highly illegal, of course). But there is good news – with 1seg tuner for PC one gets to see CC on his PC screen. And one usually can capture them as an image and even OCR them. Closer, but still too tiresome - no one is going to do it (not me for sure ; ). Luckily, there is an easier way. And this way lies in the answer to the question: how does CC get to my screen?

With all 1seg tuners comes a piece of software (media player) which is used to watch TV programs received by a tuner. This player renders video, decodes audio and, yes, displays CC (be careful though, some 1seg tuners don’t support CC at all). So in this player must exist some mechanism used to display CC. Software engineers are for the most part lazy people (in a very constructive way of course): they like to reuse already existing mechanisms instead of making their own. And there is only one convenient such mechanism in win32 operating system for displaying Japanese text. Its name is Windows API function DrawTextW, or just DrawTextW. Of course, not all players use it – some might implement their own mechanisms. But there are also those which use DrawTextW to its full extent.

What does it give us? Actually it gives us quite a lot. There are plenty of programs which let us monitor (spy) and log the usage of Windows API functions (including DrawTextW) and even log parameters passed to them (for example text of CC displayed by DrawTextW). By using one of such programs I manage to extract CC in real time while recording the broadcast. It really takes minutes to make subs from CC and sync them with an existing video file (but it takes time to get RAWs of course).

Practical hints

First, you need a good API spy program. I use WinAPIOverride32 and find it to be very good. It can automatically hook itself to the TV tuner player process, log API calls and export results to an XML file. It also logs function call times (all the way down to milliseconds) which gives a basis for sync times. Just subtract the first displayed CC time from all the calls times and you get relative CC time stamps. Be sure to make an appropriate monitoring file including only DrawTextW function (USER32.DLL) or you’ll get drowned in different API calls.

Next, you need a 1seg TV tuner which comes with a player program suitable for this method. The player program must use DrawTextW to display CC and must not be protected against API spies. Check section “Confirmed tuners and software” for examples.

After you get the log of DrawTextW function calls with text data you need to convert it to the subtitles format. Sometimes you’ll have to filter the log for excessive DrawTextW calls (some players use it not only to display CC). Also, some CC lines might be displayed by several consecutive DrawTextW calls. You’ll have to find a way to combine them. Their display times are usually only dozens of milliseconds away from each other. Also the duration information is not present. Because of that you’ll have to estimate it yourself. For example: you make subs which last 5 seconds or till the next line is displayed (exactly how the player in my configuration behaves). It is a good idea to automate the process – scripts, custom soft etc.

XMLSubParser
(http://www.sendspace.com/file/yyulhw)
XMLSubParser is a custom program which parses the output of WinAPIOverride32, filters CC texts and outputs subtitles in srt file format in Unicode 16 bit Little Endian encoding. It works fine with output generated by WinAPIOverride32 spying on PCastTV for ワンセグ, Ver: 2.14, but also may work with some other player software.

XMLSubParser splits srt files at points where commercials are present. This makes it easier to sync the subs to a video file.

Usage:
XMLSubParser.exe filename mult
filename is an XML file name. If it includes spaces then put it in quotes (double).
mult is a time speed factor. If you where recording subs at double speed then make it 2. At normal speed (without fast forward) it should be 1.

The program is not very well written. It is not fool-proof and doesn’t include any help. It surely has bugs, which I try to catch. So, if you have a problem with parsing anything then post the XML file in question in this thread. I’ll try to make it work ; ) Overall, use the program at your own risk.

Confirmed tuners and software

Here is the list of configurations for which my method (monitoring DrawTextW function calls) works. If you have a 1seg TV tuner not listed here and tried the method, please, post a comment in this thread describing your experience. I’ll add your configuration to the list.

1. My configuration
1seg TV tuner model: Buffalo DH-KONE/U2V
Player Software: PCastTV for ワンセグ, Ver: 2.14

2. Submitted by siantut
1seg TV tuner model: Buffalo DH-KONE/U2
Player Software: PCastTV for ワンセグ, Ver: 2.04 upgraded to 2.14 from Buffalo's OHP
Last edited by rokonoko on Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Thread to find and discuss all my releases: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_58128.htm
Capturing closed caption (CC) from 1seg broadcast: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_58171.htm

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jholic » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:43 am

this is an excellent tutorial. i would label it, but i don't have enough room.

i only wish you had arrived sooner. i remember about two years ago, we had two hearing-impaired members asking about cc and subs. at the time, we did have either. hopefully, they are still around to enjoy the fruits of your labor.
Use THUMBS UP/DOWN buttons to KEEP or DELETE posts.
If you see SPAM or ABUSE, use the REPORT button.

siantut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby siantut » Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:15 am

Rokonoko, thanks for the great tutorial.
I had never known that CC could be extracted.

I happened to buy 1seg TV tuner in September last year when I broke my PC, mine is older than your version I think.
It is:
1seg TV tuner model: Buffalo DH-KONE/U2 (without the V like yours)
Player Software: PCastTV for ワンセグ, Ver: 2.04 upgraded to 2.14 from Buffalo's OHP.
(they are now having version 2.15 Beta)

I tested it with WinAPIOverride32 and yes it works alright. Maybe you can add it to the list.
And I wonder if it is also useful to list things that don't work.
I have tested it with my TV Tuner card IO Data GV-MVP/GX2-GX2W MagicTV and it doesn't work.

Have you ever tested it with a 1seg mobile phone? I have 1seg phone which also shows the CC subtitles and the TV shows can be recorded on the phone then transfered to PC by microSD and opened using a compatible s/w but I have never tried it yet. I think it is protected too by copy-right protection.

Could you please post the program you wrote to convert the logs to srt? I can help posting some stuff in srt format and it will speed up my subbing process too. Thank you in advance.
Bye bye and thanks for everything.

rokonoko

Postby rokonoko » Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:42 am

@ siantut

Great!
I've added your configuration to the list.
As for IO Data GV-MVP/GX2-GX2W MagicTV, I've checked the manufacturer's site and it seems that it's not a real TV tuner. It requires an external receiver and actually re-encodes the signal. Am I right?

I don't have a 1seg compatible mobile so I cannot test it. But it seems to be an interesting idea. Try it if you can.

Here is the program you've asked: http://www.sendspace.com/file/yyulhw. I've added the description to the tutorial.
Thread to find and discuss all my releases: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_58128.htm

Capturing closed caption (CC) from 1seg broadcast: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_58171.htm

siantut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby siantut » Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:26 am

@Rokonoko

Your XML parser works GREAT!! Thank you for writing it and sharing it!

About IO Data GV-MVP/GX2-GX2W MagicTV, actually it is a real TV Tuner (double tuner cards), we don't have to connect it to anything (except to TV antenna) to watch analog TV, but yes in order to catch digital/HDTV, it needs to be connected to an external digital tuner. In my case, I connect it to the digital tuner in my DVD recorder, that's why I can catch HDTV shows with CC. I was just hoping that I could catch the CC shown on the TV using WinAPIOverride32 but it doesn't work. I also thought perhaps the shows in analog TV contain hidden CC, but as MagicTV refuses to be spied on, it doesn't show anything at all.

And yes I will try to see if I can catch the CC from my keitai too. I will post it here whether it is possible or not. Maybe not.

Please let me know what things I can contribute now that I can do this, I will gladly help. Meanwhile, I will still try/experiment a few things. If I can find something good, I will post it here.

Thanks again.

Sapporo Girl

Postby Sapporo Girl » Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:08 am

You guys rock!!! Because I'm not good such technical things, I was on the verge of offering to buy the equipment for someone else if I knew they could get the signal and they were willing to share with our members. Siantut, when you're up and running to your satisfaction, please let us know. If I have the Japanese script and Tianj's timing, I can complete my subs much faster and our members will be happier. I'm looking forward to having this extra resource for the Spring 2008 season.

Thank you so much!!!

rokonoko

Postby rokonoko » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:02 am

@Siantut

I'm glad that everything worked out fine : )
As for contribution, it would be great if you could provide subs for some dramas which I cannot record due to broadcast time conflicts. Some people already PMed me about this. Maybe, they've PMed you too ; ) Such dramas are listed in the http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_58128.htm post.

@Sapporo Girl

If you want to get Daisuki!! drama Japanese subs, Siantut is surely the one you want to ask for help.

canmield

Postby canmield » Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:45 am

I'm really glad that you understand how to do this and are willing to take the time and effort.

I second what Sapporo girl said. It's so much faster with a CC script, and just in time.. there's a character with a horrible accent on the show I'm working on now.

Really I can't thank you enough because, to be honest... I'll never be able to do that myself.

siantut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby siantut » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:24 pm

@Rokonoko, sorry for the late reply, I was busy running around Akihabara checking all 1seg gadgets :p
Yes I will gladly do that (I mean helping with japanese subs when you can't do it because of time clash). BTW, I was wondering, did you receive my PM like 10 days ago? May I PM you if necessary? Thanks.

As to "Daisuki" which Sapporo Girl needs, unfortunately it happens to clash with Shika Otoko's time-slot, and I am subbing Shika Otoko so I need to record Shika Otoko by myself too (to experiment with timings etc). To solve this problem, I bought another 1seg tuner today, exactly like the one you have, and managed to record both "Daisuki" and "Shika Otoko" at the same time. I am not sure how the result will be since I have not checked it very closely yet, but I should be able to post "Daisuki" japanese subs tomorrow, I think. I am dead beat today from too much walking.....

@Sapporo Girl: Do you need "Daisuki"? I will post "Daisuki" for you tomorrow at about the same time as now. But gomen if the timing is off.

@Canmield: Yes it is all possible thanks to Rokonoko!

Sapporo Girl

Postby Sapporo Girl » Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:16 am

siantut wrote:@Sapporo Girl: Do you need "Daisuki"? I will post "Daisuki" for you tomorrow at about the same time as now. But gomen if the timing is off.

Siantut! I love you!!! I truly do!!! Thank you so much! It would make all the difference in the world to have the "Daisuki" script!!! I definitely need it. Don't worry about the timing. I'm hoping Tianj will still send the timing files. If she can't, I can make timing adjustments.

If there is anything you need from up here in Snow Country, please let me know. I'm serious because you went through the trouble of getting another gadget in addition to offering to do this in the first place. If you need snow, we've got plenty. To be honest, I'm not sure what else Hokkaido offers the rest of Japan, but I'm willing to look for it.

Thank you so much!!!

canmield

Postby canmield » Fri Feb 22, 2008 7:51 am

@ Sapporo Girl... I wish I was getting you the scrip; plenty of things I would like to get out of Hokkaido...

Well if anyone wants anything out of Kansas I'm very grateful for the help too.. now and in the future. We have um... wheat, and sunflowers and Wizard of Oz memorabilia. :glare:

Again, I really can't thank you enough.

Sapporo Girl

Postby Sapporo Girl » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:15 am

@Canmield

I have answers for you. I'll try to send them tomorrow. We did a laptop switch today and "Kyle" won't return until the morning.

canmield wrote:@ Sapporo Girl... I wish I was getting you the scrip; plenty of things I would like to get out of Hokkaido...

Sometimes, I'm generous. It's pretty cold right now, so I'm a little wary of outside (I'm from Alabama), but I'm usually quite genki in the summer. So don't lose hope of getting anything from Snow Country.

Well if anyone wants anything out of Kansas I'm very grateful for the help too.. now and in the future. We have um... wheat, and sunflowers and Wizard of Oz memorabilia. :glare:

I'll keep that in mind!

@Siantut! I do appreciate you going through all the extra trouble and extra expense!!!

siantut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby siantut » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:54 pm

@Sapporo Girl, thank you for your offer! That is very nice of you! Hmm....like Nodame, I also love kani and uni!! :p Please send me some kani and uni! Thank you. j/k :P

Glad to be of help, but this is all thanks to Rokonoko!

About the sub, I have just posted it (ep 6). I might miss the first few lines but I hope not!
Ganbatte kudasai! I will post the rest of the dorama every Friday like now.

EDIT: The subs seems to be very short... :-(

@Rokonoko, do you have any idea what might have happened? Do I have to run WinAPIOverride32 in real time? What I did was: I recorded the show, then I replayed it while running WinAPIOverride32.

I guess I will have to install it on my other PC too and then make the two tuners run in real time recording 2 shows at the same time. Gomen, Sapporo Girl....you can cancel sending me the kani and uni .... :-(
I promise it won't happen again starting from ep 7.

EDIT 2: Let me do it all over again....Pls wait a minute.

Sapporo Girl

Postby Sapporo Girl » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:33 pm

siantut wrote: Gomen, Sapporo Girl....you can cancel sending me the kani and uni .... :-(
I promise it won't happen again starting from ep 7.

EDIT 2: Let me do it all over again....Pls wait a minute.

Siantut, gambatte kudasai!!! I can wait for the subs. Your tremendous effort won't be forgotten! "Kyle" has entrance exam grading next week and we're off to Tokyo twice in March for conferences, but I'm sure we can get some kani and/or uni off to you before April. The only reason he has to do it is because I'm allergic to shellfish. Even grocery stores are scary. I love Hakodate, but it's dangerous to me!!!

You don't have to say "j/k!" I was sincere. I plan to sub for a very long time and all of this is a collaboration. This is the only "Hobby" I'm truly enjoying!

Thank you!!!!

siantut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby siantut » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:00 pm

Hihi, Sapporo Girl, really, I was just joking!! How can I ask anything? But I am really touched by your sincerity, thank you. It is the heart/thought that counts, so please don't worry about it.

And, could you please attach or send me the timings of episode 6 by Tianj? I have all the text, so I will put the Japanese sentences in their right places in the timings. My first try flops, because though I have managed to catch all the text, the timings are weird and they went back about 4 minutes after each CM session. So it is all messed up. If I have the timings, I can put those texts in the right time and the right order. Thanks in advance.

From episode 7, I will do it not by recording but by running the s/w in real time just like what Rokonoko is doing. I hope the CMs won't mess up the timings if it is done in real time. Don't worry, I can either drop extracting Shika Otoko, or I can install one tuner on my other PC. No problem. I just feel so bad to disappoint you with ep 6.

Ganbarimashou! I will upload ep 6 with the Japanese subs after I get the timings from you. Thanks!

EDIT: I already asked Tianj directly for the timings. Thanks, anyway.
Last edited by siantut on Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.

hikkichan

Postby hikkichan » Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:01 pm

You provide a great service for the people on this site.

In your first post, you mentioned ways around the whole BCAS system out here.

Do you know how I can get around all of this encryption. I'd like to bring Hi-Vision files to the folks on this site and a few others... but, all of the encryption limits me to downconverting to an analog format. (I can only record 853x480 on my PC).

If you know any way for me to record a straight Hi-Vision stream or transfer it from my Hi-Vision recorder, I'd love to know....

That, or if you know of a place where I can get ahold of a Friio without having to pay around $1000 on Yahoo! Auctions.

But, again, you're providing an amazing service to this community. When I turn some shows on ... it definitely helps to have that subtitle button at times.

canmield

Postby canmield » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:48 pm

Well, this is an interesting thread.

Personally I have found it more useful to have the CC file ope in another window and work with it to the side of the subbing program. The way that rokonoko has the file set up works very well for me.

@rokonoko & siantut I've committed to translating Ryokiteki na Kanojo, so I want to make sure that someone will be able to get the CC for that, so I'm going to start begging now. :) Please!

@sapporo girl my brother-in-law is from Alabama, but now he and my sister live in Georgia. The south sort of creeps me out. It's not the PigglyWiggy's or the boiled green peanuts. I like the dialect and the people are nice... it's the ubiquitous Waffle Houses... I never thought any chain would be more prolific than McDonald's but in the south I think the Waffle House wins hands down. Next time I visit my sister I'll try to be brave and go in one. By the way it's cold here in Kansas too. -7 C, but we don't get the joy of snow, just piercing winds so I would be happy to have some of that snow come our way.

Personally I have no use for uni, but kani I would gladly accept any day of the week. We've got one really good sushi restaurant here in town and the chef keeps his nori in a shiroi koibito box. I'm not sure if he is from Hokkaido or not. I never asked. I think Nodame likes those too. ;)

I'm not sure who "Kyle" is, but I eagerly await answers :D

Sapporo Girl

Postby Sapporo Girl » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:07 am

'First and foremost, Siantut! Please don't allow the script for Daisuki to stress you out. As much as I would love to have it, it isn't worth giving you headaches. Like you said, it's the thought that that counts.

siantut wrote:Hihi, Sapporo Girl, really, I was just joking!! How can I ask anything? But I am really touched by your sincerity, thank you. It is the heart/thought that counts, so please don't worry about it.

Then, let's do it this way. If you change your mind, please PM me. I'm serious. I told "Kyle" and he said, "Kani is everywhere. It isn't a problem."

I have all the text, so I will put the Japanese sentences in their right places in the timings.

If this happens next time, *I* can put the Japanese sentences in their right places, too. I don't want to create extra work for you. Because my little brain is wired wrong, I generally do all of my translations first and THEN put them into Tianj's timing files. If they don't sinc, I adjust my translations, not her timing. Therefore, this is normal for me.

From episode 7, I will do it not by recording but by running the s/w in real time just like what Rokonoko is doing. I hope the CMs won't mess up the timings if it is done in real time. Don't worry, I can either drop extracting Shika Otoko, or I can install one tuner on my other PC. No problem. I just feel so bad to disappoint you with ep 6.

Given that you're going through all of this trouble, I'd feel absolutely terrible if you sacrificed your own drama for mine. That would be unfair to you.

Sweetie, I'm not disappointed! In fact, you're accomplished something great! You snagged Japanese text for two dramas!!!! WOW!!!!

In the end, Siantut, I'd be grateful for the text in any form. Thank you so much!!! If there is anything you need/want from up here, let me know.

rokonoko

Postby rokonoko » Sat Feb 23, 2008 5:11 am

Ara... Seems like I've been missing a lot of action ; )

@Siantut, thank you for investing your time and money in this project.
I received your PM. Sorry for not mentioning it earlier, but when I try to PM you (last time was today) it says that "This user doesn't accept private messages". I hope you can fix it sometime soon.

As for the subs... Sorry to disappoint you, but CMs do really mess up the timings. And you have to sync the subs manually. Usually you have to sync only one line from each subs file and the others should align automatically (don't forget to select all lines when syncing that one line). And it is better to sync the second or third line in the file. Don't know why, but the first one seems always to be a little bit out of sync with other lines. BTW, all this is the reason why I made XMLSubParser to split subs at the CMs. It makes syncing much easier.
And it really doesn't matter how you record subtitles: in real-time or by playback. I myself did it several times. Things can get messy if you speed playback up, but otherwise there should be no problems. Can you please post that XML file for Daisuki!! from which you got short subtitles. I'd like to test it - there might be a bug in XMLSubParser. If you can please post it in Japanese subtitles thread for Daisuki!!
I hope that everything works out fine : )

@Hikkichan, I actually don't know how to bypass BCAS. I even don't have access to HDTV (too poor for that ; ) I'm not sure that there is any other way than to reencode analog signal. Try asking RAW providers, they surely know more than me.

@Canmield, I'll do the subs for Ryokiteki na Kanojo : )

canmield

Postby canmield » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:21 am

Wow. I hope that's not a lot of work.

For my purposes you could leave the commercials in. It wouldn't make any difference to me. I haven't seen Japanese commercials for a while. I kinda miss them. I actually asked one of the RAW providers if I could have some.

I know other people are downloading them though, and it does make it easier to find the line I'm looking for.

I know I keep saying thank you, but it's ridiculous how much easier and faster it is to do these with the CC.

siantut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby siantut » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:50 am

@Rokonoko: Ah, sorry, I didn't know you couldn't PM me. I think I have fixed it now, but don't worry, my PM at that time is already answered by your wonderful tutorial anyway! I asked only because I wanted to know whether I may PM you next time or not. Thanks!

Nono, I am not disappointed at all, you have done a GREAT job, as no one else seems to ever think about it! I did some googlings and it seems that you are THE only one thinking it up (using DrawTextW to catch CC) About my failure to generate the srt file completely, I found out that it is not because of the CMs. For some reason, my WinAPIOverride32 logs by chops of 10 minutes each. After the first 10 min, it will give the start time of the same start time of the previous 10 minutes. I am not sure if I am being clear. For example, if the first start time is 10:30, it will log until 10:40, but then it will go back to 10:30 again, and runs until 10:40 again, before going back to 10:30 again, on and on. That's why it cannot give the correct srt file with the correct timing. I am wondering if it is the setting of my WinAPIOverride32, as I found out that the same thing also happened with my log of Shika Otoko. Or, could it be because I have the wrong parameters in my Monitoring File?

Here is the content of my API Monitoring File: (saved as User32.dll in txt format)
user32.dll|int DrawTextW( HDC hDC, LPCWSTR lpString, int nCount, LPRECT lpRect, UINT uFormat )|Out

As for the Columns, I checked everything in it (just in case)
I did not load any API Overriding File because I have no idea what to load. Could it be the cause?
Maybe next time I can take screen captures of my setting so you can see what is wrong with my setting. Thanks in advance.

Another thing that I noticed is the s/w PCast for 1 Seg by Buffalo itself. I think there might be a bug/some bugs in it. Though I have bought it since last September, I stopped using it after I noticed that sometimes the video playback doesn't do what it is supposed to do. Or, it will play OK at first, but then for some reason it won't play anymore when I tried to replay the same video a few days later. Or another weird thing: it will suddenly stop playing in the middle of the movie, and will go back to the TV screen all of a sudden, leaving us stranded with an incomplete log. This seems to happen again and again when I tried to log "Daisuki".

Do you think it will be worth buying IO Data 1seg tuner to try this? Because there is always a risk that IO Data could be "smarter" than Buffalo and would not let us spy on it/catch the CC. I don't mind buying it though, just to see if it might work better than Buffalo. As far as I know, IO Data has always been one step ahead of Buffalo in TV Tuners, so maybe it has less bugs in it.

Well, actually I went to Akihabara again yesterday, and bought Bufallo's TV Tuner PC-MV71DX/U2
It does not have 1seg, but it has the s/w PCast TV2.
Knowing that we can catch the CC using PCast for 1seg, I was hoping that I could catch the CC using PCast TV2. It is also by Buffalo anyway. So I went home, installed it and connected it to my digital DVD recorder to catch the digital data stream broadcast with the CC. It can show the CC alright on PC Cast TV2, just like the 1seg. However, when I launched WinAPIOverride32 to log it, nothing came out!! GRRRRR!! To make things worse, when I tried to record some shows, it said: "Because this show is protected by copyright, your recording will automatically stop now."

Here are my XML files for both Daisuki and Shika Otoko (both episode 6)
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=JQ4ICX7M
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=A04VCEV8

For Daisuki, I found out that it is only about half, because the playback suddenly stopped and switched to TV for no apparent reason. Therefore, the CC is all mixed up with a different show. What a mess!
I don't think you can do anything to clear up the mess, because the timings itself is incoorect, in the first place. Thanks anyway for offering to help with Daisuki.

My only problem now is how to make my WinAPIOverride32 logs correctly in chronological time order, instead of logging it in 10-minutes chops that goes to a loop. I will appreciate it if you can point out what might cause it. Thank you, Rokonoko.
Please take your time.
Last edited by siantut on Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

siantut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby siantut » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:04 am

Sapporo Girl, gomen, I couldn't manage to extract/log the complete CC although I have recorded the whole episode. The video player of the s/w PCast TV for 1 seg keeps stopping and refuses to play completely to the end. I wonder if it has anything to do with copyright protection but I hope not.

Here is the text file of the CC log, but it is messed up in time, and also messed up with another show. Maybe you can just ditch it before you get a hedache.
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8DCIYPMD

Once again, gomen ne.

rokonoko

Postby rokonoko » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:48 am

@Siantut, I've checked the logs. The strange thing is that they seem to be only 10 minutes long each. As for the time logging problem with WinAPIOverride32, I first thought that maybe there is a bug in new version (I'm using v3.0). I got a new one (4.01) and tried it. Funny thing, everything works fine. I recorded about 30 minutes (stopped it so not to waste time) of last Shikaotoko and the timings were correct (no 10 minutes loops). Maybe you are doing something in a different way. Here is the description of how I deal with WinAPIOverride32:
1. Start the app.
2. Select "Attach to all new processes" radial button and press "Filters" button.
3. In the field "Inclusion filters" I write 'pcast*' (without quotes) and press OK. I do it because it makes logging scheduled recordings easier.
4. Press big green triangle play button.
5. Then press "..." button close to "API Monitoring configuration" field and select the monitoring file. BTW, your file is good. But it is better to change OUT at the end of the definition to IN. It makes program log parameters before passing them to API function.
6. Press "Load" button.
7. Start PCast and wait for some subs to get logged.
8. In the log window, select the subs which I want to export. Through the context menu (right click) select "Export Selected" and export to XML.
9. Use XMLSubParser to convert xml file to srt.
One final note: it is better to select small size for CCs in PCast so that lines won't break in the middle of the word. And also you don’t have to use any API Overriding files.

I hope it helps, because I can't think of any reasons for your problem. WinAPIOverride32 bases its timing on system clock. If your system clock works fine there should be no problems. Maybe you have some conflict in software.

I also haven't encountered any problems with PCast playback yet. Manufacturer claims that copyright protection is hardware and decoding is done in TV tuner itself. Any hardware problems may cause problems with playback. Also, bad recording conditions (weak signal) can cause such problems. You can try and update PCast to a newer version (I still use the one which came with the tuner).

I don’t recommend you buying any additional hardware right now. It would be better to deal with current problems first.

Please comment if you succeed or not.

Sapporo Girl

Postby Sapporo Girl » Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:17 pm

siantut wrote:Sapporo Girl, gomen, I couldn't manage to extract/log the complete CC although I have recorded the whole episode. The video player of the s/w PCast TV for 1 seg keeps stopping and refuses to play completely to the end. I wonder if it has anything to do with copyright protection but I hope not.

Here is the text file of the CC log, but it is messed up in time, and also messed up with another show. Maybe you can just ditch it before you get a hedache.

Once again, gomen ne.

Dear Siantut,

Thank you so much for making such a tremendous effort!!! I am truly grateful. That file is a pretty mess, isn't it? Believe it or not, I could pinpoint Daisuki's dialog very easily.

Right now, I'm concerned that Daisuki and I will be cause of stress for you. Please ignore it until you can get everything running smoothly. I will finish the series before the new season begins no matter what. You've gone through so much trouble, I can't ask any more of you.

I can complete this drama without the CC in a text file. My delays in posting are usually due to family, work and my determination to translate what a character means more so than for what that character says. It's an exercise in creativity. Daisuki leads to quite a few linguistic debates in this house and it's good for our souls.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do for you. Your thoughtfulness matters to me. Thank you from the bottom of my heart!!

I will continue monitoring this thread. If I can see where I can help you, I'll definitely volunteer. You can PM at anytime, too. I wish I could meet you in Tokyo in March. Unfortunately, I'll be too busy. There's always the summer... :D
Last edited by Sapporo Girl on Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

siantut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby siantut » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:21 pm

@Rokonoko, thank you very much again for your detailed instruction. Actually my versions of PCast and WinAPIOverride32 are also of the newest version (v. 1.4 for PCast and 4.01 for WinAPIOverride32). The way I did it also did not differ much from what you did, but regardless I did it your way or my way, the logs still come out in 10 minutes chops. I think you are right, it should be either hardware or software conflict with my PC. The clock on my PC is fine, there is nothing wrong with it.

Good news is that I still have another PC although it is rather old and its specs is not as good as my main PC (less softwares too). When I installed the 1seg tuner and WinAPIOverride32 on it and tried to log the CC, it is successful! The log does not come in chops! I logged a show for about 30 minutes and the timing came correctly. Therefore, I can use my 2nd PC to do this.

Now what might cause the difference? I wonder. Both PC has the same versions of PCast and WinAPIOverride32 with the same setting, both has the same anti-virus s/w with the same setting too. The difference is the OS (my main PC uses XP Pro while my 2nd PC uses XP Home, both Japanese OS), in addition to the hardwares and the softwares installed. Another thing that might cause this could be the fact that I installed 2 Buffalo's 1seg tuners on my main PC (U2 and U2V). When I installed the 2nd tuner, I had to set the setting to be "multi tuners use" at installation. Unless I installed as "multi tuners", it won't work as multi tuners. If you are thinking of getting another Buffalo 1seg tuner to record 2 shows at the same time, please be careful because in my experience, I failed to uninstalled it and I got stuck with multi-tuners (maybe it is in the registry and has to be deleted manually).

About the video players refusing to play or stopped halfway, it happens to both my main and 2nd PC. It is not the antenna or data reception because the video is already in my drive in complete form. One day I could play the file completely, the next day it will just refuse to play or play half way. How weird. Actually, to get a good reception, I connect the tuner to a TV antenna directly, so I don't think it is corrupted data, unless it is made in such a way to be self-destroying after a few playbacks.....

Thanks so much again, Rokonoko. It is still good for me and Sapporo Girl because I can do it on my 2nd PC, but it is worrying that it fails with my main PC without any clue why it fails. It puts a question mark to any prospective buyer whether it will work like your PC and my 2nd PC, or fail like my main PC.

BTW, Pcast version 1.5 is out on Buffalo's OHP, but I didn't install it, just in case it messes things up.

siantut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby siantut » Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:30 pm

Dear Sapporo Girl,

Good news! I can log with correct timings using my 2nd PC! So I can still do it for you from chapter 7! If I flop in converting to XML, I can send the XML file to Rokonoko maybe, or if you don't mind it in Notepad form, I can always send you the text in Notepad. Next time I will do it in real time, just in case I have problems with video playback again.

Please don't worry or feel bad for me, I enjoy doing this, and it is quite a challenge for me too. Thank you very much for your kind offer, the same things for you too!

Take care and good luck with Daisuki. I will send you chapter 7 around Friday.
*Crossing my fingers it will be OK this time*

Sapporo Girl

Postby Sapporo Girl » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:53 am

Dear sweet Siantut!

Thank you so much! I am looking forward to Friday! I don't mind Notepad form. I still plan to coordinate with Tianj on the timings because she has already spoiled me so much!

Making these subtitles are a pure labor of love for me. It's one of the few things that brings me real joy. For a person like me, having your script just isn't about having the words in front on me. It's about having a firmer vision and more translation options. I'm less skilled than most translators here. I'm still learning. Although I use Japanese every day, I've never had time to formally study. In a way, I'm actually learning on the job. There's no doubt in my mind, the subtitles from episode 7 onwards will be superior to the ones before!

We had a nasty storm a couple of days ago. As a result, our entrance exams were postponed until today. As soon as they are graded and our trip to Tokyo is over, I'll start catching up on Daisuki. For certain, I will be in Tokyo again in September. I hope we can meet and I'll be able to treat you to lunch!!!

Thank you, Siantut! Thank you Rokonoko!! I am looking forward to the new season!

siantut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby siantut » Thu Feb 28, 2008 4:30 pm

@ Rokonoko:
I tried to convert the XML to srt format but it does not work. It used to work before.
Let me make sure how to do it.
We put the XMLSubParser and the xml file in the same directory, open DOS to the same directory, and type:
XMLSubParser.exe daisuki07.xml mult
Is that right? When I did it, it gave me a blank text file instead of an srt file.

@Sapporo Girl:

Dear Sapporo Girl,

The captions might have extra lines from later shows, I guess you know where it ends.Gomen about it.

BTW, you are being very modest, I am sure with your love and devotion for subbing, your subs are great! Please enjoy your time in Tokyo, who knows we might bump into each other on the street!

PS: Please check the same URL every week for Daisuki's new CC. I will post them there.

@Canmield:
Gomen I did not offer my services earlier, as I was still having an issue in capturing the CC. I seem to be fine now using my 2nd PC, so if you need any help in the future, pls don't hesitate to ask me. Ganbatte!
Last edited by siantut on Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sapporo Girl

Postby Sapporo Girl » Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:06 am

[quote="siantut"]
Dear Sapporo Girl,

@Siantut!

These are absolutely beautiful!!! Thank you so much! Although I'm a behind with my translation, I'm so excited to have this extra resource!!! I know I can finish the series before the new season starts. I've bookmarked the blog, so I'll definitely check there regularly! You and Rokonoko are such a blessing!!!

As I said before, I'll take the text in any format. This is absolutely fine for the way I make translations.

I'm so happy! I wish we could meet in March. I'm afraid I'll be actually working then. If you're around in the summer, I know I'll be on Honshu several times and definitely in Tokyo at some point. I know we'll be there in September.

Next season, Henna_Sapporo will do Gokusen 3 . We'll certainly be grateful if you or Rokonoko could snag the text for that drama. We'll take it in any form!

Bows humbly!
SG!!
Last edited by Sapporo Girl on Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

canmield

Postby canmield » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:05 am

@ siantut

Oh, I just wanted to make sure that it was going to be covered. I'm beginning to see how complicated this all is from reading this post. I don't know how long I will be at this, but this whole thing is a godsend. I wouldn't have the patience to go through all of that.

Joins Sapporo Girl in humble bowing. Much love to you and Rokonoko!

rokonoko

Postby rokonoko » Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:50 am

@ Siantut
You are doing it right with XMLSubParser. Just don't forget to put a number instead of 'mult' parameter - 1 for normal speed.
It was a good idea to make a blog. I've checked it, but couldn't find daisuki07.xml there. If you can, please, post it at the blog. Make sure, there are only 2 columns exported to XML file - 'Call' and 'Start Time'. I'll check the problem with XMLSubParser, as soon as you can provide the file.
As for CVS and getting rid of garbage content... If you have Microsoft Excel, you can try to use its string functions. Or, if you are good with Perl, you can write a script.

Waiting to hear from you.
Thank you for your time and effort.

siantut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby siantut » Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:28 am

@Rokonoko,

I am sorry that I disappeared for almost 3 weeks. Thanks a lot for your advice and tutorial how to do it. A lot of things happened in my life these 3 weeks, good and bad ....
Anyway I am back again now, though with a new job coming, I will be super busy in April.

I managed to record Daisuki to the last episode (Finale) though I have not uploaded them to my blog. I am thinking of getting a better blog than that, if my time permits and if my service is still needed. For now, let me work on the remaining files as I think Sapporo Girl will need them soon. I saw that her sub is up to ep 5 already. I will take your advice and let me see if I can get it right.

@Sapporo Girl, I have all the rest of the episodes, but I am sorry that for ep 8, the timings are messed up. I am afraid you will have to look up for a specific sentence among the mess.... :(
What happened was that my 2nd PC suddenly refused to boot when I tried to launch it around 21:30 PM to record the show, it kept saying "Keyboard not found, press F1" LOL....In my panic (Brain not found), I hooked the tuner up with my main PC so the result was messed, as usual. Fortunately for ep 9 and 10, my 2nd PC was fine (after switching to an old spare keyboard I have)

I hope to upload them all by tomorrow. Ganbatte kudasai ne!

Sapporo Girl

Postby Sapporo Girl » Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:43 am

siantut wrote:@Sapporo Girl, I have all the rest of the episodes, but I am sorry that for ep 8, the timings are messed up. I am afraid you will have to look up for a specific sentence among the mess.... :(
I hope to upload them all by tomorrow. Ganbatte kudasai ne!

@Siantut!

I'm so sorry to hear that things have been so bad for you!!! I know how it feels when things get very complicated and it looks like the trauma will never end. I'm equally sorry you had to worry about this script when everything else was happening.

Please don't worry about episode 8's timing. Tianj has already given me the timing files. As I've said before, I'll take the script in whatever form you can get it to me. For your sake though, I hope you can get the scripts in the format you're trying to make. I am such a dud when it comes to such technical things. I doubt I could have ever gotten as far as you did.

Although I haven't begun working on episode 7, I can see clearly that it will be much much easier for me to handle because you have provided the text. As for the mess...well...it can't possibly be any messier than my brain!!! :D

Will your services be needed in the future? Of course! Dramas will always be in conflict, right? There might be a time in which more people will attempt to make translations because they have this extra resource. The most important thing though is your health. Do this because you enjoy it and don't feel pressure because after all you are doing us a favor!

Thank you so much for going all out of your way. I hope we can meet the next time I'm in Tokyo!!!

rokonoko

Postby rokonoko » Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:35 am

@Siantut, can you please upload a JMK file of Daisuki episode, which is posted at that wiki? I have some ideas about recovering subtitle data from JMK file. PCastTV uses JMK files for subtitle search and they also seem to have timings.

siantut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby siantut » Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:31 am

@ Rokonoko and Sapporo Girl,
I just want to let you know that I have read these posts and your PM.
Please give me another 24 hours, I will be back!!
THANKS!

siantut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby siantut » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:00 am

@Sappori Girl,

What I mean by messed up is the order of the lines/dialogues :(
Everything is in there, only not in the right order.
i don't know how you can use it, but maybe you can use the browser's search function if you know some specific word in the sentences. Then it will lead you to the correct line/sentence.
Gomen! It was when my keybaord was not recognized by my 2nd PC that I had to use my main PC (which cannot record the closed captions in correct order, for some unknown reason).

Ep 10 or FInal seems to be OK. Ep 9, maybe OK too, except that there might be 2-3 lines missing, or 2-3 lines repeated.

After April, I will be super busy so I am not sure if I can do this but I will try.
Good luck, Sapporo Girl! And thanks for all your nice offers!

@Rokonoko, unfortunately I only record 1-2 ep of Daisuki. I think I have ep 8. As for ep 9 and 10, I was doing it in real time because as I said, the video playback of PCast on my PC is so weird, it will refuse to play. That's why I did it in real time, which is safer. Let me look again. The Wordpress blog and Google blog do not allow to attach files other than pictures or text (txt, html and doc), so I will need to use megaupload to send you the files. I am glad you found those possibility, you are indeed very resourceful! Thanks again.
Last edited by siantut on Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sapporo Girl

Postby Sapporo Girl » Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:32 am

@Siantut!

You are a darling! Thank you so much!!! I will work with Episode 8. I can use it as listening practice (audio is my weakness). I can put everything together that way. There are alway spoken lines missing in the CC anyway, so that isn't a problem for me.

Like you, I'll be SUPER BUSY from April. The new semester and the new fiscal year begins. That was one of the reasons I chose Gokusen 3. I can't imagine I can watch television during the week! So...not having a social life (that's what marriage does to you) means I'll have Saturday nights relatively free.

If you can't do it, I will ask Rokonoko because there doesn't appear to be a competing drama. Of course, if he can't either, I'll understand because we all have real lives and we can only do what we can when we can. If either of you ever makes it up here to Winter, let me know!

I'll bookmark and download those scripts. I will try to get things done as fast as I can because you worked so hard on this! I don't think you realize how much I appreciate this! Thank you!!!

Good luck with mastering the process!!! I want you to be able to get this done for yourself because you've invested so much into this!!! Please take care!

siantut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby siantut » Sun Mar 30, 2008 5:16 pm

Dear Sapporo Girl,

Yes, I'm afraid I won't be able to do Gokusen 3, gomen ne. Also, I think Rokonoko will do it a whole lot better than I can (not messed up, as his PC seems to be more stable in doing it than mine). So I think Gokusen3 will be in a better hand with him. I don't think you will miss any episode then.

As for the blogs, have you downloaded/copied the files? I will need to erase them tomorrow, so please make sure you have them before I erase them. I hope ep 8 (messed up one) is not giving you too much headache!

Ganbatte ne!

Sapporo Girl

Postby Sapporo Girl » Mon Mar 31, 2008 4:01 am

@Siantut

You did what you could. I honestly and truly appreciate all you've done for me and Daisuki fans. Don't worry about Gokusen 3. Believe me, I understand your technical difficulties. It happens to me all the time. You're already making a great contribution with your translations and subtitles, Siantut. Battling those software and hardware problems just made it all the more difficult for you.

Thank you again for the script for episodes 7-10. I have downloaded and saved all of them, therefore, you can delete your blog. Don't worry about episode 8. It isn't giving me a headache!

Rokonoko has introduced a wonderful resource to everyone who is studying/learning Japanese. I'm sure if he can help, he will. I will ask him at the appropriate time.

Good luck getting through April and May. Do those months ever make you feel like you're trapped in a wind tunnel in Erimo with konbu slapping you in the face?

Thanks again, Sweetness!

siantut wrote:Dear Sapporo Girl,

Yes, I'm afraid I won't be able to do Gokusen 3, gomen ne. Also, I think Rokonoko will do it a whole lot better than I can (not messed up, as his PC seems to be more stable in doing it than mine). So I think Gokusen3 will be in a better hand with him. I don't think you will miss any episode then.

As for the blogs, have you downloaded/copied the files? I will need to erase them tomorrow, so please make sure you have them before I erase them. I hope ep 8 (messed up one) is not giving you too much headache!

Ganbatte ne!

siantut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby siantut » Mon Mar 31, 2008 3:53 pm

Dear Sapporo Girl, it is my pleasure.
I learned a lot too from doing it!

BTW, may I ask you something?
Could you please delete the URL of my old blog which is shown in the quote of your post in page 2 of this thread? Really sorry for the trouble and thank you for it in advance!

Thanks again!

Sapporo Girl

Postby Sapporo Girl » Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:34 am

It's done, Siantut. Let me know if I missed something.

You're extremely thorough, aren't you? To survive in this world, one should be a good housekeeper. :D

Take care and I wish you the best in surviving the month of April.

siantut wrote:Dear Sapporo Girl, it is my pleasure.
I learned a lot too from doing it!

BTW, may I ask you something?
Could you please delete the URL of my old blog which is shown in the quote of your post in page 2 of this thread? Really sorry for the trouble and thank you for it in advance!

Thanks again!

hardmaru

Dumping 1-seg to AVI

Postby hardmaru » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:34 pm

Thanks for the useful info

I'm planning to get an 1-seg tuner and try ripping some CC's out as well for some other less popular shows and share them here

Question: Did you have any success converting the recorded show into standard .mpeg or .avi format? I heard most of the saved shows get encrypted into a proprietary format when recorded, so if it's possible I'll try getting one where the saved show can somehow be hacked and re-encoded to a standard format.

hardmaru

Postby hardmaru » Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:13 pm

I also found pasting the entire subs inside a translation engine like http://www.rikai.com/ useful, when having that window right next to the drama

kiwigloomy

Postby kiwigloomy » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:47 am

Sorry, but the link to XMLSubParser seems to have expired,
anyone mind uploading it again?
Thanks~!

burento5

Postby burento5 » Wed Jan 07, 2009 1:25 pm

I would like to perform a service like Rokonoko did before but XMLSubParser is necessary for me. If anyone has it please message me or upload it.