Kaikyo [Eng Subs] (Complete)

You can find/upload subtitle files for tv drama series here.
Please use the Fansubbing forum to discuss subtitles.
quashlo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Kaikyo [Eng Subs] (Complete)

Postby quashlo » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:56 am

海峡
Kaikyo / Kaikyou
The Strait

Links
Torrents: Ep 1, 2, 3
DramaWiki
Official Site

Introduction (translated from the official website)
In the historic fate shared between Japan and Korea, the drama bridges the strait and paints the picture of the miracle of life and a Japanese woman's two romances, tossed by the waves of time.

Cast
Hasegawa Kyouko
Mashima Hidekazu
Gin Pun Chou
Nakamura Atsuo
Tsugawa Masahiko
Henmi Emiri
Tajima Reiko
Toyohara Kousuke
Miho Jun
Kamikawa Takaya
Hashizume Isao

Special Thanks to
gryzze for uploading the RAWs here to D-Addicts

Vocabulary and Historical Background
[spoiler]Episode 1
Keijou (京城): the Japanese name for Seoul during the Japanese occupation of Korea; I have rendered all the other Korean place names in Korean
Government-General (Soutokufu): the colonial government established by the Japanese during the occupation; one of the more infamous policies of the Government-General forced Koreans to take Japanese names
Naisen-ittai (内鮮一体): "Nai" meaning within/inner/internal (as in "Japanese") and "sen" referring to Chousen, or Korea; "ittai" means "one body," "unity," "harmony," etc.
national policy (kokusaku, 国策): in reference to business enterprises and cultural media that further the interests of the Japanese Empire; e.g., "national policy" films shown in China that encouraged goodwill between the Japanese and Chinese
Weaver Maiden (Orihime, 織姫) and Shepherd Boy (Hikoboshi, 彦星): represented respectively by the stars Vega and Altair, part of a myth surrounding the Tanabata Festival; the two lovers are separated by the Milky Way (Ama-no-gawa, "River of Heaven," 天の川) and can only meet once a year on the day of the Tanabata Festival (usu. July 7); when it rains on the day of the Tanabata, the River of Heaven is said to flood and the two cannot meet; magpies then line up and make a bridge so that the two can meet
main house/branch house (honke/bunke, 本家・分家): the branch house is under the authority of the main house

Episode 2
mochi: glutinous rice cakes made by pounding rice; in the context here, it is used in reference to the mochi dumplings which are used in zouni, a soup traditionally consumed during the New Years celebration
black market: here used as a translation of yamiichi (闇市), makeshift markets which developed for the underground distribution of food and goods during government rationing after the war; without enough rationing, there was a large demand among repatriates and other war survivors for food and supplies
GHQ: "General Headquarters," a common name for the office of the Supreme Commander of the Allied Powers (Rengoukoku-gun Saikou Shireikan Sou-shireibu, 連合国軍最高司令官総司令部), the headquarters of the occupation forces charged with the dismantling of Japan's military and the restoration of order after Japan's surrender in World War II

Episode 3
Article 9: the article of the Japanese constitution that dictates that Japan shall not have military forces
Takehisa Yumeji: Japanese painter famous for his figures of women
shouchuu (焼酎): type of alcoholic beverage
Korean schools (朝鮮学校, [i]Chousen-gakkou[/u]): schools in Japan for the education (in the Korean leanguage) of ethnic Koreans; the schols have historically been pro-North Korean, receiving funding from the North Korean government and the Chongryon; today, they are not recognized as formal schools as they do not teach the approved curriculum; in 1948, the Japanese government attempted to close the schools, which initiated protest movements by ethnic Koreans who felt they were being discriminated against; in the incident in Kobe, protestors asked for an audience with the governor of Hyougo Prefecture, who refused; the protestors broke through the door to the govenor's office and stormed in, effectively holding the governor hostage and demanding that he rescind the order to close the schools; a state of emergency was called and the police, under orders from the national guard, began arresting protestors; by the fourth day when order was restored, over 1,000 people had been arrested
[/spoiler]
Notes/Errata
Translated and Romaji lyrics for the theme song are located here.
"Boku Shunjin" is translated as "Park Junin" when it's in a Korean-language context.
There is a small mistake in the first two episodes. Any reference to Busan Plant (釜山工場, Busan Koujou) should be changed to Busan Girls School (釜山高女, Busan Koujo). My apologies for the mistake.

Subtitles
Episode 1 -- Parting at Busan Harbor
Episode 2 -- A Promise that Crosses the Ocean
Episode 3 -- A Solitary Strait
Attachments
Kaikyo (SP) Part 3 [2007.11.24] (1280x720 DivX6).srt
Episode 3 -- A Solitary Strait
(65.3 KiB) Downloaded 930 times
Kaikyo (SP) Part 2 [2007.11.23] (1280x720 DivX6).srt
Episode 2 -- A Promise that Crosses the Ocean
(67.4 KiB) Downloaded 902 times
Kaikyo (SP) Part 1 [2007.11.17] (1280x720 DivX6).srt
Episode 1 -- Parting at Busan Harbor
(60.08 KiB) Downloaded 1309 times
Last edited by quashlo on Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:19 pm, edited 5 times in total.
See my current DramaWiki editing projects here.
See my current and completed subbing projects here.

Melusine

Postby Melusine » Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:36 am

Thank you for subbing this show. I'm happy than somebody pick up this serie.

toyotaku

Postby toyotaku » Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:43 am

OMG! Thank you! I was happy just to get to see this drama. To have it subbed, too??? Thank you! :wub:

quashlo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby quashlo » Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:59 am

Episode 2 has been released (see first post).
Hopefully, I should have the last episode done in time for Christmas. :lol

Notes
I translated "Boku Shunjin" as "Park Junin" when the language was Korean, so just be aware that these are the same people.

quashlo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby quashlo » Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:23 pm

Episode 3 has been posted (see first post), making the series complete.
Enjoy! :lol

Notes
I made a small mistake when translating Episodes 1 and 2. Any reference to Busan Plant (釜山工場, Busan Koujou) should be changed to Busan Girls School (釜山高女, Busan Koujo).

cha2

Postby cha2 » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:08 am

Thank you quashlo!

marienella_m

Postby marienella_m » Tue Jan 01, 2008 10:14 am

thank you so much quashlo! happy new year! :D

am00339

Postby am00339 » Tue Oct 30, 2012 2:58 pm

Thank you !

goygakgoy

Postby goygakgoy » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:36 pm

thanks a lot. I just started seeding this again so please help out. I'll seed for at least a month and put it elsewhere so that people can get it.

It's a korean japanese love story..

Return to “Subtitles”