Ri Kouran [Eng Subs] (Complete)

You can find/upload subtitle files for tv drama series here.
Please use the Fansubbing forum to discuss subtitles.
quashlo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Ri Kouran [Eng Subs] (Complete)

Postby quashlo » Fri Apr 27, 2007 8:55 pm

李香蘭
Ri Kouran (Mandarin: Li Xianglan)
Ri Kouran

Links
DramaWiki
Official Site
Torrent (not D-Addicts tracker)

Introduction
This is the story of Yamaguchi Yoshiko, a Japanese woman born and raised in China during the Japanese occuption of Manchuria. With a pretty face, beautiful voice, and fluency in Chinese, she debuts as the Chinese singer and actress Li Xianglan (Ri Kouran in Japanese), in the hopes that her efforts will work towards the benefit of both Japan and China. Hiding her true nationality, however, she slowly discovers herself becoming a puppet of the Japanese military’s propaganda efforts in Manchuria, starring in “national policy” films that humiliate the Chinese people. But billed as the “star of Greater East Asia,” her popularity soars across borders to Japan, where she holds a concert that draws thousands to the Nihon Gekijou Theatre and leads to a riot that injures several people. As war erupts on the Asian continent and in the Pacific, does she have the will to continue deceiving the people of her homeland, China? How will the events of the war affect her family, her friends, her love, and her career?
This is the story of Li Xianglan, Ri Kouran--one woman, torn between two countries, who endured her internal struggle and gave the Chinese and Japanese people alike a new hope in a time of conflict and strife.

Cast
UETO Aya as RI Kouran (YAMAGUCHI Yoshiko)
KIKUKAWA Rei as KAWASHIMA Yoshiko
NAKAMURA Shidou as AMAKASU Masahiko
SAWAMURA Ikki as KAWAKITA Nagamasa
OZAWA Yukiyoshi as KODAMA Hidemi
ONO Takehiko as YAMAGA Tooru
NAKAMURA Fukusuke as HASEGAWA Kazuo
NOGIWA Youko as YAMAGUCHI Yoshiko (present) and narrator
NATORI Yuuko as YAMAGUCHI Ai (Yoshiko's Mother)
HASHIDZUME Isao as YAMAGUCHI Fumio (Yoshiko's Father)

Assistance and Special Thanks
candyman808 for arranging for spot translation and QC
Freefall and Sangohan for some timing/QC
Spot translations by gloomy (Japanese), jinzo (Mandarin and Japanese), and Echo9 (Mandarin and Japanese)
eighteen for uploading the torrent here at D-Addicts

Vocabulary and Other Tidbits
A few notes that may help you understand the story a little better if you are not very familiar with the history of this period.

"Five Peoples in Harmony" (五族協和): founding principle of Manchukuo, in which the five peoples of East Asia (Japanese, Han Chinese, Mongolians, Manchurians, and Koreans) unite to build a nation peacefully
Kwantung Army (関東軍): a unit of the Imperial Japanese Army, initially established to serve as defense for the South Manchuria Railway Co.; eventually, it seizes more power and becomes the effective "ruling power" of Manchukuo
Manchuria/Manchukuo (満州/満州国): Manchuria is a region in northeastern China that was at the center of conflict between Japan, China, and Russia. In order to become a world power equal to England, France, or America, Japan had gone through a period of rapid industrialization and militarization with the slogan fukoku kyouhei (富国強兵, “rich country, strong military”). As an island nation, Japan looked to the “Chinese continent” and Southeast Asia to provide the land and natural resources for its growth, which put it in direct conflict with countries in the West, which already had colonial interests in those regions. When Japan stunned the world by defeating Imperial Russia in the Russo-Japanese War, it signaled Japan’s rise to power. With the Treaty of Portsmouth, Russia was forced to evacuate Manchuria and cede to Japan the development rights to Liaodong Peninsula, along with the railway system in the region that would later become the South Manchuria Railway Co. The Japanese would occupy Manchuria and establish the puppet state of Manchukuo to protect its interests in the region. To legitimize the government, Japan brought in China's last emperor, Puyi (溥儀), to rule as head of state, although he had little true power
South Manchuria Railway Co. (南満州鉄道): also known as Mantetsu, responsible for operating railways in Manchuria and developing Manchuria's agricultural and industrial resources for the Japanese Empire
Manchurian Film Association (満洲映画協会): also known as Man'ei, a film company established by the Kwantung Army to produce "national policy" films
"national policy" film (国策映画): a film produced with the primary purpose of pacifying the native people in Japanese-occupied territories
Unit 731 (731部隊): a unit of the Imperial Japanese Army that performed secret medical and weapons/biological warfare experiments on live humans, including organ and tissue removal, dismemberment, infection with diseases, and other grossly unethical experimentation; the victims included many Soviets, Chinese, Koreans, and Mongolians

Notes
I don't know if anyone else had problems with the filenames, but Part 1 (Manchuria) is the 763 MB file and Part 2 (Shanghai) is the 933 MB file.
I apologize that this took so long (almost three months!), but some of us got a little busy, so thank you for waiting so patiently. Anyways, if you haven't watched it already, enjoy. :lol
Attachments
Ri Kouran (704x396p and 720p-DoA).rar
(182.55 KiB) Downloaded 131 times
Last edited by quashlo on Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KaDeBee

Postby KaDeBee » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:02 pm

:wub: Thank you, .... quashlo !!!!

android_04

Postby android_04 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 9:27 pm

Thanks a lot!!!

Rikayla

Postby Rikayla » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:36 pm

WHEEEE~ Thank you so so much!

m0n5t4r

Postby m0n5t4r » Fri Apr 27, 2007 10:47 pm

ありがとう! :cheers:

j-devil

Postby j-devil » Fri Apr 27, 2007 11:15 pm

Oo :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :thumright: :thumright: :thumleft: :thumleft: :alcoholic: :alcoholic:

Yeah there are !!! Thanks so much of all of you who work on this project !!!!
I really want to see it since I'm a hudge fan of Aya chan :wub:
and the story looks like interesting too.

Then otsukare sama deshita :thumleft: :thumright: :alcoholic:

Rikayla

Postby Rikayla » Sat Apr 28, 2007 1:33 am

I have a question, do you know what media player program supports font tags? I'm using VLC Player, I downloaded VobDub... And I'm not sure what else I need to play your subtitles.

quashlo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby quashlo » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:01 am

Rikayla wrote:I have a question, do you know what media player program supports font tags? I'm using VLC Player, I downloaded VobDub... And I'm not sure what else I need to play your subtitles.

I use Windows Media Player... But Media Player Classic should also work. I'm sure there are others, but I'm not an expert at the stuff, so I can't really say... :scratch:

cha2

Postby cha2 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:09 am

Rikayla: Try Media Player Classic. It supports font tags in srt subs. :-)

Rikayla

Postby Rikayla » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:15 am

cha2 wrote:Rikayla: Try Media Player Classic. It supports font tags in srt subs. :-)

I've tried it. It says something about DirectShow and changing the video renderer...

cha2

Postby cha2 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:31 am

quashlo: Thanks for subbing this and your previous projects. The vocabulary section and usage of Japanese/Chinese characters in the softsubs are great "tidbits" for viewers to learn more.

I appreciate the effort placed in them. :-)

cha2

Postby cha2 » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:05 am

Rikayla wrote:
cha2 wrote:Rikayla: Try Media Player Classic. It supports font tags in srt subs. :-)

I've tried it. It says something about DirectShow and changing the video renderer...

In Media Player Classic (MPC), under the "View" dropdown menu, select "Options". Or just press "o" when Media Player Classic has started. A new "Options" window should appear.

On the left of the "Options" window, you should see "Playback". Click it and then click "Output". The rightside of the "Options" window should change to display the various "Playback" choices. The first section should be "DirectShow Video".

This is where one selects the video renderer. I use VMR9.

Hope my explanation does not confuse you. And MPC will work for you. :-)

Rikayla

Postby Rikayla » Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:13 am

cha2 wrote:
Rikayla wrote:

In Media Player Classic (MPC), under the "View" dropdown menu, select "Options". Or just press "o" when Media Player Classic has started. A new "Options" window should appear.

On the left of the "Options" window, you should see "Playback". Click it and then click "Output". The rightside of the "Options" window should change to display the various "Playback" choices. The first section should be "DirectShow Video".

It's not confusing at all! :) But unfortunately, even with VMR9 checked off, the subtitles still does not play... Thanks for your help though...

Edit: NEVER MIND. I got it! :D Thanks a lot for everybody's help! <3

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jholic » Tue May 01, 2007 12:07 am

this sounds like a very educational and interesting drama. thanks for subbing and sharing it.
Use THUMBS UP/DOWN buttons to KEEP or DELETE posts.
If you see SPAM or ABUSE, use the REPORT button.

doink-chan

Postby doink-chan » Tue May 01, 2007 12:52 am

Thanks for subbing this, quashlo. It looks interesting, and it helps that Ueto Aya is in it too. ^^
Too bad there aren't any seeds for the actual special though...T_T

starrynight32

thanks !

Postby starrynight32 » Tue May 01, 2007 4:56 am

Oooooo aya is so pretty here !

I found I can still download from here ( clubbox ) and the subtitles is in synch ... use the media classic player to watch . Rename the subs and the rmvb to be the same name .

Part 1
http://down.clubbox.co.kr/jbackhouse/bunlb

Part 2
http://down.clubbox.co.kr/jbackhouse/q24nb

enjoy !

Matcatwa1

Postby Matcatwa1 » Tue May 01, 2007 11:53 am

I found I can still download from here ( clubbox ) and the subtitles is in synch ... use the media classic player to watch . Rename the subs and the rmvb to be the same name .

starrynight32 maybe it seems obvious for you but this club box is in Korean and I cannot read it :-( Maybe if you tell us where to click that can help :-) 8)
** VSS ** Always watch for the new ones... 8)

starrynight32

Postby starrynight32 » Tue May 01, 2007 12:39 pm

you can refer to the tutorials over at d-addicts

http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_14132_0.htm

since I'm not sure on those BT if there're still available or not but in clubbox u can still go and download from it

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby jholic » Wed May 02, 2007 12:31 am

doink-chan wrote:Too bad there aren't any seeds for the actual special though...T_T

the torrent currently has two seeds and about 10 peers. the reason you do not see any stats on the DA tracker is because this torrent is being hosted on an external tracker.

jump on while you can and seed as long as you can!

EDIT:
forgot to add the link to torrents:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_45112.htm
Use THUMBS UP/DOWN buttons to KEEP or DELETE posts.
If you see SPAM or ABUSE, use the REPORT button.

seaweed

Postby seaweed » Sat May 05, 2007 4:10 pm

Thanks for subbing!!
Currently watching: Last One Standing, Kaze no Garden, Oh! My Girl!! , Celeb to Binbo Taro

zetobelt

Postby zetobelt » Tue May 22, 2007 3:45 am

Thank you very much for the subs!!!

bigidi

Postby bigidi » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:51 am

Rikayla wrote:
cha2 wrote:
Rikayla wrote:

It's not confusing at all! :) But unfortunately, even with VMR9 checked off, the subtitles still does not play... Thanks for your help though...

Edit: NEVER MIND. I got it! :D Thanks a lot for everybody's help! <3

so how did u got it? i still dont get it to work

Ngelwise

Postby Ngelwise » Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:01 pm

thanx for subs and media player classic explanation!!

BBOvenGuy

Postby BBOvenGuy » Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:59 pm

Okay, I've seen the first episode now, and I think it's great! Does anyone know if there was a soundtrack released for this production, or if there are plans to release one? I'd love to get a CD of Ueto Aya singing all those old songs.

quashlo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby quashlo » Thu Jun 21, 2007 2:19 am

^ Here

The track listing lists the songs that Ueto Aya sings in the drama (いとしあの星, 何日君再来, 蘇州夜曲, 夜来香), but I can't tell if they actually have Ueto Aya singing on that CD. I would probably guess yes, though...
See my current DramaWiki editing projects here.
See my current and completed subbing projects here.

BBOvenGuy

Postby BBOvenGuy » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:13 am

Hmmm... if Google's translation page is working properly, I'd say that looked like the soundtrack from a stage production by "Theatrical Company Four Seasons," whatever that is. :-(

Thanks for trying, though.

doink-chan

Postby doink-chan » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:32 am

Gekidan Shiki (Shiki Theatrical Company) is a theatrical group that puts on a lot of musicals, mainly Broadway ones. I think they did do a play about Ri Kouran...

quashlo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby quashlo » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:56 am

^ Yes, my apologies... I was rushing a bit and didn't see the artist at top. Like doink-chan said, that is for the theatrical production. After taking a bit more time to search, the only thing I could find was the DVD which kind of looks promising.

http://7andy.yahoo.co.jp/dvd/detail?acc ... d_detail_4

Contents:

TVスポット TV Spot, i.e. commercial
メイキング Making
予告編 Preview
上戸彩 歌唱シーンロングバージョン <<< This might be the closest you'll get to what you want (Ueto Aya, Singing Scene(s?) Long Version)
山口淑子(李香蘭)主演映画 「情熱の人魚」 ダイジェスト映像 Picture Digest of Yamaguchi Yoshiko's (Ri Kouran's) Movie "Jounetsu no Ningyo" ("Passionate Mermaid")
See my current DramaWiki editing projects here.

See my current and completed subbing projects here.

canon05

Postby canon05 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 1:49 am

Thanks so much quashlo! :-)

Phoenix

Postby Phoenix » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:02 am

I wanted to add my thanks too, quashlo. I'm looking forward to watching this. (Now seeding so that more people can enjoy this special!)

boredguy859

Postby boredguy859 » Mon Jan 28, 2008 10:04 pm

I would like to ask someone to please seed this again... as im stuck at 97.1%, along with a few others.... thanks

RivFader

Postby RivFader » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:38 pm

Thanks for all the hard work on subbing this SP.

Fansubbers are the best people in the world!!!! :cheers:

Thanks!!!! :D :cheers:

RivFader

Postby RivFader » Sat Jun 06, 2009 11:40 pm

boredguy859 wrote:I would like to ask someone to please seed this again... as im stuck at 97.1%, along with a few others.... thanks

I'm seeding http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_45112.htm at the moment...

Klance88

Re: Ri Kouran [Eng Subs] (Complete)

Postby Klance88 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:21 pm

quashlo wrote:李香蘭
Ri Kouran (Mandarin: Li Xianglan)
Ri Kouran

Links
DramaWiki
Official Site
Torrent (not D-Addicts tracker)

Introduction
This is the story of Yamaguchi Yoshiko, a Japanese woman born and raised in China during the Japanese occuption of Manchuria. With a pretty face, beautiful voice, and fluency in Chinese, she debuts as the Chinese singer and actress Li Xianglan (Ri Kouran in Japanese), in the hopes that her efforts will work towards the benefit of both Japan and China. Hiding her true nationality, however, she slowly discovers herself becoming a puppet of the Japanese military’s propaganda efforts in Manchuria, starring in “national policy” films that humiliate the Chinese people. But billed as the “star of Greater East Asia,” her popularity soars across borders to Japan, where she holds a concert that draws thousands to the Nihon Gekijou Theatre and leads to a riot that injures several people. As war erupts on the Asian continent and in the Pacific, does she have the will to continue deceiving the people of her homeland, China? How will the events of the war affect her family, her friends, her love, and her career?
This is the story of Li Xianglan, Ri Kouran--one woman, torn between two countries, who endured her internal struggle and gave the Chinese and Japanese people alike a new hope in a time of conflict and strife.

Cast
UETO Aya as RI Kouran (YAMAGUCHI Yoshiko)
KIKUKAWA Rei as KAWASHIMA Yoshiko
NAKAMURA Shidou as AMAKASU Masahiko
SAWAMURA Ikki as KAWAKITA Nagamasa
OZAWA Yukiyoshi as KODAMA Hidemi
ONO Takehiko as YAMAGA Tooru
NAKAMURA Fukusuke as HASEGAWA Kazuo
NOGIWA Youko as YAMAGUCHI Yoshiko (present) and narrator
NATORI Yuuko as YAMAGUCHI Ai (Yoshiko's Mother)
HASHIDZUME Isao as YAMAGUCHI Fumio (Yoshiko's Father)

Assistance and Special Thanks
candyman808 for arranging for spot translation and QC
Freefall and Sangohan for some timing/QC
Spot translations by gloomy (Japanese), jinzo (Mandarin and Japanese), and Echo9 (Mandarin and Japanese)
eighteen for uploading the torrent here at D-Addicts

Vocabulary and Other Tidbits
[spoiler]A few notes that may help you understand the story a little better if you are not very familiar with the history of this period.

"Five Peoples in Harmony" (五族協和): founding principle of Manchukuo, in which the five peoples of East Asia (Japanese, Han Chinese, Mongolians, Manchurians, and Koreans) unite to build a nation peacefully
Kwantung Army (関東軍): a unit of the Imperial Japanese Army, initially established to serve as defense for the South Manchuria Railway Co.; eventually, it seizes more power and becomes the effective "ruling power" of Manchukuo
Manchuria/Manchukuo (満州/満州国): Manchuria is a region in northeastern China that was at the center of conflict between Japan, China, and Russia. In order to become a world power equal to England, France, or America, Japan had gone through a period of rapid industrialization and militarization with the slogan fukoku kyouhei (富国強兵, “rich country, strong military”). As an island nation, Japan looked to the “Chinese continent” and Southeast Asia to provide the land and natural resources for its growth, which put it in direct conflict with countries in the West, which already had colonial interests in those regions. When Japan stunned the world by defeating Imperial Russia in the Russo-Japanese War, it signaled Japan’s rise to power. With the Treaty of Portsmouth, Russia was forced to evacuate Manchuria and cede to Japan the development rights to Liaodong Peninsula, along with the railway system in the region that would later become the South Manchuria Railway Co. The Japanese would occupy Manchuria and establish the puppet state of Manchukuo to protect its interests in the region. To legitimize the government, Japan brought in China's last emperor, Puyi (溥儀), to rule as head of state, although he had little true power
South Manchuria Railway Co. (南満州鉄道): also known as Mantetsu, responsible for operating railways in Manchuria and developing Manchuria's agricultural and industrial resources for the Japanese Empire
Manchurian Film Association (満洲映画協会): also known as Man'ei, a film company established by the Kwantung Army to produce "national policy" films
"national policy" film (国策映画): a film produced with the primary purpose of pacifying the native people in Japanese-occupied territories
Unit 731 (731部隊): a unit of the Imperial Japanese Army that performed secret medical and weapons/biological warfare experiments on live humans, including organ and tissue removal, dismemberment, infection with diseases, and other grossly unethical experimentation; the victims included many Soviets, Chinese, Koreans, and Mongolians[/spoiler]

Notes
I don't know if anyone else had problems with the filenames, but Part 1 (Manchuria) is the 763 MB file and Part 2 (Shanghai) is the 933 MB file.
I apologize that this took so long (almost three months!), but some of us got a little busy, so thank you for waiting so patiently. Anyways, if you haven't watched it already, enjoy. :lol

Would people be interested in having me edit these subs?
I have watched it and Windows media player on my computer does not consistently play the extra srt formatting.
So, I'm stripping most of the extra formatting off the subs.

Also there are a few places where the subs timing is a bit off and I am fixing these

regardless, I'm doing it for myself and Aya :wub:
quashlo, LMK if its ok and/or others would like to see this.

las_dulces

Postby las_dulces » Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:26 am

Thanks for sharing.

nuala

Postby nuala » Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:26 am

thank you for sharing subs for this :-)

Ilovethestorm

Postby Ilovethestorm » Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:21 pm

Thank you for sharing these subtitles with us. It sounds really interesting! I am looking forward to watch it!

zenith777

Postby zenith777 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:00 pm

Arigatouu quashlo :salut: Really appreciate it :cheers:

liddo-kun

Postby liddo-kun » Sun Mar 22, 2015 2:10 am

thank you quashlo for the subs :-)

here's a re-timed for 720p DoA ver.
Attachments
Ri.Kouran.SP.720p.HDTV.x264.AAC-DoA.rar
for 720p DoA ver
(82.14 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

anzu23

Postby anzu23 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 10:59 pm

Thanks so much quashlo and Iiddo-kun -
great to have the subs!! :cheers:

Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Keiko1981 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 12:00 am

liddo-kun wrote:thank you quashlo for the subs :-)

here's a re-timed for 720p DoA ver.

Thank you, added them to the first post.
All subtitles (704x396p) and 720p-DoA located in one RAR file.
Gifted Ones | Twitter | Instagram | MyDramaList.com
Subbing: Dear My Sister, Inochi, Oshin, Seoul 1945
Where to find dramas & subtitles

Return to “Subtitles”