Hokusai to Meshi Sae Areba [Eng Subs] (Ep.1)

You can find/upload subtitle files for tv drama series here.
Please use the Fansubbing forum to discuss subtitles.
LuffyNoTomo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Hokusai to Meshi Sae Areba [Eng Subs] (Ep.1)

Postby LuffyNoTomo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:22 pm

My Description:
Yamada, Bun is a shy, quite, keep to herself kinda girl but when it comes to cooking she gets really into it and is an awesome cook. She lives alone with a talking stuffed animal named Hokusai but only she can hear him speak. Bun is fine with her life as long as she has her food and Hokusai.

Finally - I get to work on something again~! It's been awhile since I had a project due to all the ones I would have worked on were already taken - so it's nice to get back into subbing things :3

I just started working on English subs for this cute J-drama called Hokusai to Meshi Sae Areba - I wasn't sure what the best English translation for the title should be - here is the list of titles:
ホクサイと飯さえあれば -> Japanese title
All I Need Are Meals with Hokusai -> one originally listed on Baka-Manga Updates (the only thing I adjusted was changed from a "you" to an "I")
As Long as I Have Hokusai & Food -> the title I made when translating each word, I used a more literal translation of 'Sae Areba' & used food instead of meals for 'Meshi'
The Meal with Hokusai -> title that is listed on the manga front cover

Baka-Manga Updates link & my description https://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=114721
My DeviantArt link for the drama http://luffynotomo.deviantart.com/art/Recommended-J-drama-Hokusai-to-Meshi-Sae-Areba-660504124

HOW I MAKE SUBS - i do all of this myself & thanks to those who want to help but that's not necessary - thank you all for waiting~! <3
1. DL and watch episode
2. Make translation
3. Time the subs to the video
4. Final check to make sure the subs match the video file and everything looks good
5. Release sub file on D'Addicts :3

I will be listing below a progress report on each episode

English Subtitle Progress:
Ep. 1 done
Translation
Episode 2 - 10 min. out of 24 min. done
Timing
Episode 2 - haven't started yet (OMG they talk so fast X3 its hard to keep up when pressing the sub button)
Final Check
Episode 2 - haven't started yet

NOTES
I tried translating the theme songs but those are usually the hardest - sorry if anything seems off ^^
Ep.1 http://imgur.com/4ny0NZI
Ep.2
Jyoukyou 上京 - means capital a.k.a Tokyo - i just used the word Tokyo instead of capital
Hougaku 方角 - means direction - in this case she's referring to the angle & location of were she's drawing from
Nani ka deru 何か出る - means something appears - but usually they refer to ghosts - so i just say ghosts
Dango 団子 - means dumpling or round - he was referring to it as a dumpling but the shape is a circle (round)
E 絵 - means drawing, painting, picture or sketch - i used both: painting & drawing - depending on the situation
Masaka まさか - has many meanings, like: OMG, "you don't say" or unexpected thing (an expression of surprise)
Kei 系 - means system, group, style, related to or type of person - ex: Bijutsu-kei 美術系- art person/major/group
Vietnam Bánh Xèo - sizzling cake or pancake
Okonomiyaki お好み焼き - pancake type food that can have various ingredients - Okonomi = how you like it and yaki = to grill
Tabeta koto wa nai 食べたことはない - this phrase means have not ate -or- taste/try it (as in food/food related)
Tsurupika Hagemaru-kun つるピカハゲ丸君 - an anime/manga character who's a miser so Hokusai is relating that to Jun-chan
Oishi-sa おいしさ - means tastiness, deliciousness, flavorsome. Grammar: word+sa[ness] - it indicates a degree or condition.
おいしい Oishii (tasty, delicious, sweet, etc.) changed to Oishi-sa when conjugated. I decided to use the word flavor because it was the best choice for the situation and the Eng. conjugation didn't fit right.
Akunuki あく抜き - means removal of astringent taste (dry, pungent or bitter flavor) by cooking it
Utsutta うつった (past tense form of Utsuru うつる) - means to spread, transfer, to be contagious. Bun kept saying meatball which then spread to Hokusai saying it - hence why I wrote "Ah, now I'm saying it"

Thank you all for being patient and waiting for my subs C:

Please do not fix or re-translate my English subs!

Using my English subs!
If you wish to translate the episodes into a different language using my English then you may do so - please just give reference that you used my subs. For example: English softsubs by LuffyNoTomo ~or~ English subs by LuffyNoTomo
It would be nice to know if my subs will be used for foreign language translation but if not then its ok to just give credit for using my English ^-^ Thank you~!
Attachments
Hokusai.to.Meshi.Sae.Areba.Ep01.LuffyNoTomo.srt
This works with J-DramaCity's 848x480 x264 file
(47.17 KiB) Downloaded 705 times
Last edited by LuffyNoTomo on Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:07 am, edited 66 times in total.
If you enjoy or like my subs, it would be most appreciated if you subscribed for support but dont feel obligated. Thank you! Image

Madoka
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: Hokusai to Meshi Sae Areba [Eng Subs] (Ep.1 In Progress)

Postby Madoka » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:33 pm

Thanks for subbing!

LuffyNoTomo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby LuffyNoTomo » Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:48 pm

your welcome~! i hope to get these out fairly fast due to it being just 24 min long :3
i will be working on it more today~!
If you enjoy or like my subs, it would be most appreciated if you subscribed for support but dont feel obligated. Thank you! Image

mottofreaky

Postby mottofreaky » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:19 pm

Ooh, I didn't think this would get picked up! Looking forward to the subs, good luck! :D
@mottofreaky | @mfsubs | ihsarafes@lj
Boogie Woogie もっともっとフリーキー Funky girl

boklets

Postby boklets » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:48 pm

Thanks for subbing this!

jefftiger

Postby jefftiger » Thu Feb 02, 2017 12:13 am

This looks like an interesting drama. Thanks very much for picking it up!

LuffyNoTomo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby LuffyNoTomo » Thu Feb 02, 2017 10:11 am

i just finished with the translations - and i will be starting work on the timing part soon - its 2AM right now - so i wont continue till the next time i wake up and am ready to work again X3

thanks for waiting!

Jintetsu

Postby Jintetsu » Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:23 pm

Wow, thank you for picking this. I was hoping for someone to sub it! :w00t: :cheers:

LuffyNoTomo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby LuffyNoTomo » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:34 pm

just started on Timing for episode 1 -- i don't think it will take me too long to do it and then do a final check and then release it but i will say - they talk so quickly that the subs are BAM BAM one after the next X3 its a bit hard to keep up where to place the subs properly at times - so i'm trying to do it carefully to make the best subs :3 which means i might end up taking some breaks in between timing ^-^ but i hope to get it finished soon

LuffyNoTomo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Re: Hokusai to Meshi Sae Areba [Eng Subs] (Ep.1)

Postby LuffyNoTomo » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:05 am

i finished the first ep now~! Enjoy!

Himitsu17

Postby Himitsu17 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:43 pm

Thank you for the first episode!
Find me @MyDramaList & @Livejournal
Feel free to contact me or befriend me anytime :)

fookie

Postby fookie » Sat Feb 04, 2017 2:22 pm

Thanks for the episode 1 subtitles!

LuffyNoTomo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby LuffyNoTomo » Sat Feb 04, 2017 5:48 pm

your welcome~! enjoy! :3

sensei991
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby sensei991 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:45 pm

Thank you for the subs!

dhisashi

Postby dhisashi » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:36 pm

Nice to see you back subbing. Thanks for subbing this drama.

:cheers:

kokoroai

Postby kokoroai » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:41 pm

Thank you so much for finish this first episode and sharing with us :notworthy:

LuffyNoTomo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby LuffyNoTomo » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:44 am

@dhisashi

yeah - it took me a while bec. for the longest time - i didn't really like a lot of series and then when i did - they were already taken.
so it was surprising that this one wasn't taken yet and its shorter than the other ones i normally work on BUT the there are tons of vocab about food and cooking that takes awhile to get it just right in Eng.
then the timing is fairly difficult due to how fast they speak X3 but its a fun one

it also seems pretty different from the manga - even though its based off it - but i like the drama a lot more - i looked a little bit into the manga and it was okay but i really like the drama :3

Oh - and first time i was able to make it so there are little music notes on the song parts CX it took me a few hours to figure out why i couldn't get em to work

dhisashi

Postby dhisashi » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:23 pm

I wonder why this is a late night (actually early morning) drama.
Release Date: January 22, 2017 -- (MBS) / January 24, 2017 -- (TBS)
Runtime: Sundays 00:50 (MBS) / Tuesdays 01:28 (TBS)

LuffyNoTomo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby LuffyNoTomo » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:35 pm

i have no clue why it would air at those times -- maybe a bunch of people actually stay up till then to watch it - but it does seem like a strange time frame

avieamber

Postby avieamber » Mon Feb 06, 2017 5:03 am

Thank you for subbing this. The first episode is cute and easy to watch :-)
Subbed: Ishi no Mayu, Siren, Kounodori, Boku no Yabai Tsuma, Kiseki no Hito, Boukyou SP, Suishou no Kodou
Ongoing: A LIFE
J-drama reviews: Ritsu no Dorama Land

LuffyNoTomo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby LuffyNoTomo » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:00 pm

just to let people know, i injured my shoulder area pretty bad Monday Feb. 6th 2017 - i was organizing my books and moving them into boxes - etc. and i must have strained or pulled something due to the boxes of books being too heavy when i lifted them @_@

since i only have 1 arm/hand working with out causing pain - i think its best to wait until my shoulder heals a bit more before i continue - hopefully it will heal soon bec. it really hurts -- i couldn't even go for a work out with out feeling so much pain - it was very odd - i even cried due to how painful it felt when walking for a mile >_<

anyways - i hope to recover soon and continue the subs - thanks for waiting and sorry about not being able to work on the next ep. ^^

jefftiger

Postby jefftiger » Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:53 pm

Oh wow. Subtitling isn't as important as your health. Recover first, then whenever you're able, we'll all be thrilled to resume watching the series. Take care!

dhisashi

Postby dhisashi » Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:43 pm

jefftiger wrote:Oh wow. Subtitling isn't as important as your health. Recover first, then whenever you're able, we'll all be thrilled to resume watching the series. Take care!

+1
:-( about your shoulder.

LuffyNoTomo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby LuffyNoTomo » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:24 pm

thanks for the support about my shoulder~!

i'm kinda itching to sub again - especially since ep.3 is out now too - even though my shoulder hurts - there's nothing i can really do about it -- so i will use my good hand to type and start work on ep.2

things may go slower but at least its something - and i enjoy this series and want to share the love of it~!
if it hurts too much to work then i will stop - but i wanna at least do something for ep.2

thanks for being so patient~!

kokoroai

Postby kokoroai » Sat Feb 11, 2017 4:32 am

LuffyNoTomo wrote:thanks for the support about my shoulder~!

i'm kinda itching to sub again - especially since ep.3 is out now too - even though my shoulder hurts - there's nothing i can really do about it -- so i will use my good hand to type and start work on ep.2

things may go slower but at least its something - and i enjoy this series and want to share the love of it~!
if it hurts too much to work then i will stop - but i wanna at least do something for ep.2

thanks for being so patient~!

Take your time we wait :-) and I hope you get well soon.

ky09

Postby ky09 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:15 pm

thank you! :DD

LuffyNoTomo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby LuffyNoTomo » Wed Feb 15, 2017 8:57 pm

my shoulder seems healed enough to type again X3 so i will continue work on ep.2~!
thanks for waiting =3

Jintetsu

Postby Jintetsu » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:32 am

So glad you feel better, LuffyNoTomo. I'm also having troubles with both my shoulders so I know it can be really painful, aaarghh :pale: :unsure:

Anyway, thanks for your hard work. Subs for ep 1 were really good, so I can't wait for next episodes. Ganbaree!! :D

LuffyNoTomo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby LuffyNoTomo » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:23 pm

@Jintetsu
aww - that really bites~! the shoulder is such a complicated muscle area - my shouldn't isn't perfect but its good enough to type -- i hope you feel better - it might take a few weeks to heal when it comes to shoulder injuries =/

thanks so much~! i'm glad you liked em - i always try to get out the best quality of subs as possible :3

sometimes i spend more time than is probably needed just to translate stuff but i want to make sure it sounds good in Eng. and gets all the Japanese vocab translated so in case people are trying to learn Japanese - they can pick out the words and connect it easily with the Eng. words
same goes with notes - if i feel i didn't get everything across in the translation i added the notes to help ^-^

Kojiro83

Postby Kojiro83 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:18 pm

Thanks alot for subbing, this looks really cute and funny. :D

bookish

Postby bookish » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:20 pm

Thank you for subbing this series! It looks like fun, I am really looking forward to it!

Jintetsu

Postby Jintetsu » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:29 pm

LuffyNoTomo wrote:@Jintetsu
aww - that really bites~! the shoulder is such a complicated muscle area - my shouldn't isn't perfect but its good enough to type -- i hope you feel better - it might take a few weeks to heal when it comes to shoulder injuries =/

Thanks for caring :D

Sigh, my left shoulder has started being aching during last spring, and few weeks later my right shoulder followed. Doctors said is a stuff called calcification, meaning that near my shoulder joints bones have overgrown a little, and there are some kind of "spikes" that scratch muscles and tendons :| (my medical English is pretty poor, sorry)
I have been through some therapies some time ago and now the pain somehow has lessened, BUT I still have to be cautious when moving. Raising hands too high is forbidden, too fast movements are forbidden (such as chasing away a mosquito) and scratching my back is impossible too, because I can't move arms that far.
I have to ask my friends to scratch my back for me, and help me wearing my jacket too, right as if I was an old ojiichan :unsure: That's pretty annoying, trust me :glare:

I also hope you feel better, anyway. Just take your time.
I like the way you translate everything, signs, song lyrics and stuff, it's really helpful for those curious like me, so keep your good job :thumright:

LuffyNoTomo
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby LuffyNoTomo » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:44 am

@Jintetsu

yikes! that stinks - mine was a minor injury in comparison - i'm pretty much better with my shoulder but i'v had some real life issues that need to be done - so i was working on that and a little on subs for ep.2

thanks for enjoying my work~!

i really try hard to make it the best and easiest to follow and understand in English - without losing the Japanese concepts -- i also make notes about things that may have been complicated in the translation process or special info about things that have happened in the episodes - so if you read those you can also learn some Japanese

for me, i really am grateful to fansubbers - i learned Japanese just from watching things with subs and now i'm trying to learn Korean from K-drama and a bit of Taiwanese from TW drama -- and since i'm now pretty fluent in Japanese - i can give something back as a fansubber myself and hopefully help others to understand Japanese - as i have done so from watching subs ^-^

not sure if you've seen any of my other series but i'v also translated:
Ranma 1/2 live action
MONSTERS
Risou no Musuko
Akumu-chan tv series, special and movie
and now i'm working on this series ^^

Return to “Subtitles”