Yowakutemo Katemasu [Eng Subs] (ep8-11 of 11)

You can find/upload subtitle files for tv drama series here.
Please use the Fansubbing forum to discuss subtitles.
SpaceCadet1017

Yowakutemo Katemasu [Eng Subs] (ep8-11 of 11)

Postby SpaceCadet1017 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:17 pm

Title: 弱くても勝てます
Title (romaji): Yowakutemo Katemasu (Even if we’re weak, we can win!)
Tagline: 青志先生とへっぽこ高校球児の野望 / Aoshi-sensei to Heppoko Koukou Kyuuji no Yabou
(Aoshi-sensei and the Clumsy High School Baseball Team’s High Hopes)

Credits & Thank Yous
Subs for Episodes 01-07 by JunkRevo
Japanese subs by jpsubbers
Subs timed to files from Plotboxes @ livejournal

Hello everyone! My friend is a big fan of Nino and she was really sad this series was dropped. As a present for her, I thought I’d test my skills subbing. I finished everything up and she seemed happy enough with it and suggested there might be lots of other fans that would like to know what happened to their dear Jotoku Baseball Team! So, here I am.

This is my first time ever subbing a drama, so please forgive any crazy timing/formatting issues. I tried my best! As for my translating style, I go more by feeling than literal translation so if anything came out sounding strange (or wrong!) to you, please let me know.

I worked really hard on these, so please don’t upload them anywhere else without my permission. I think it goes without saying that I’d also be pretty sad if anyone tried to profit from my work. If you would like to translate these subs into a different language, please just send me a message.

I hope you enjoy the end of the series as much as I did and I hope we can chat about your reactions to the events that happen :)

Rin (AKA – SpaceCase ☆*・゜(◕ω◕)⸝⸃⸃☆ )

Translator’s Notes
  • Note 1: Anything I made a note about here has an underline in the subtitles file so you can come back and reference things here.
  • Note 2: Also, things like documents/signs that were too text-heavy to fit on the screen will be written here in blue.
  • Note 3: For you baseball beginners, all the baseball terms will be colored green here, if you need help understanding. But those of you who know the game (or totally don’t care, lol) can just skip over those!
  • Note 4: Culture/language points will be purple
EPISODE 8
Tamo & Suzuyama’s Research Plan
“Department of Biosciences Functional Morphology
An analytical study of evolutionary developmental biology: decoding the amphibian genome
Recommencement of Research Protocol”

Old man – “Oyaji” is a masculine word for a father, like saying dad. Not quite as polite as “father,” but not inherently disrespectful. However, because Akaiwa and his father have such an adversarial relationship, I decided to use “(my) Old Man” for him. In the same scene, Yoshinaga says “oyaji” but there it’s “dad.”

Senpai – I’m sure anyone with any experience with J-Dramas knows this, but just in case this is anyone’s first drama – Senpai means upperclassman. Japanese students use this word to refer to anyone in school or a club who’s older.

Niichan – Again, probably one you’re familiar with if you like J-dramas, but it means “big brother.” It’s the most familiar/casual way. Notice when he’s actually talking to Yoshinaga, he uses “Oniichan,” which is more respectful.

GED – This is a high school equivalency test taken in the US. I wasn’t sure what the international term was, and “high school equivalency test” was a bit too long to fit.

Honey-trap – When an attractive person uses their “power” to get someone else to give them information or do what they want. Basically like a Siren of the Greek mythology or a spy.

“Baseball is not that easy!” – He says something more along the lines of “don’t look down on/underestimate baseball,” but I got the feeling he was upset that these super-elite smart kids think they can play baseball in the small amount of free time they deign to spare for it from their studies. For someone who dedicates his all to the sport, that hurts.

“You have a tendency to put everything in the past” In Japanese, when the ball comes, they say “Kita!” (which literally means “It came!”) In English, we’d say, “It’s here,” so it doesn’t make quite as much sense when he’s giving a grammar lesson.

Episode 9
Odawara’s Mother – Jotoku High School is located in Odawara city in Kanagawa. Takemiya is located in another famous city, Hiratsuka. So he’s telling her not to abandon them and their town.

“Don’t you dare call her by her first name.” – In Japan, people don’t refer to others by their first names unless it’s a very close/long relationship, or someone much older referring to a younger person. (Ex: Aoshi-kun can call the club manager Yuzuko; and Kaede can call Tamo-sensei Aoshi-kun) Notice that even though all the guys on the team are good friends with her, none of them uses her first name. So for Kunitomo to use it so easily is surprising (and also why Shikata has such a strong reaction).

Manga – Japanese comics, famous for their onomatopoeic phrases

New Fashion Magazine Proposal:
New launch proposal
Magazine for free-spirited women around forty
“Chic Lady”
Fashion and Lifestyle Magazine

Forehand (Glove side)/Backhand catch – If a person’s throwing hand is their right, they wear their glove on their left hand. So, for a right-handed person, a glove side catch would be a ball that comes to their left side, and a backhanded one would be a ball to their right. For lefties, it’s the opposite. Backhand catches tend to be harder to catch, so he’s telling them “Just go for the easy ones!”

Make sure the game doesn’t go dead - JunkRevo said in their translation that Coach Tamo didn’t want Akaiwa throwing dead balls (i.e. hitting the batters) or walking the batters (getting them on base by throwing 4 balls). He says it’s fine if the other batters keep getting hits, and to just keep the ball in the strike zone. He literally says something like “Don’t break the game!” or “Don’t let it go to hell!” but I decided on this phrasing to reference the “dead” part.

Masumoto’s sign:
Recruiting for a Support Squad
Wanted: people who can play an instrument (except trumpet)
Support the baseball team in the summer of your youth!

Batting Nicknames
(Note, for the ones that have ‘dahou,’ it just means batting form, so I omitted it)
  • Kashiyama - 水平斬り (Suihei Giri) – Straight Slash - It's literally level cut, but the kanji she uses for ‘giri’ is the slash of a katana sword to kill someone.
  • Ushimaru- ネジネジ打法 (Neji Neji Dahou) - The Twister - She uses the word 'neji,' which is a screw in Japanese, because of the way he twists his body. I thought about using "Screwy Stance," but since "screwy" has the connotation of weird/crazy, I went with this.
  • Mitsuyasu -メガ振り子打法 (Mega Furi Ko Dahou) - Pendulum - It means mega swinging boy. I just figured the way a pendulum swings back and forth fit the look.
  • Iseda - 流し目スイング (Nagashi Me Swing) – Flirtatious Glance - Looking at someone out of the corner of your eye. It also means "leer," but that just sounded creepy, so I went with flirty. Plus, he has the cutest look on his face when he explains, so flirty it is.
  • Shikata - 挙動不審打法 (Kyodou Fushin Dahou)– Suspicious Behavior - It literally means a person acting suspiciously. I suppose it makes sense, looking at his style. I thought about using "sketchy," but wasn't sure if the American slang would make sense to other countries.
  • Ebato - とりあえず差し当たり (Toriaezu Sashiatari) – Trust Your Instincts - Toriaezu means to just do something; make a decision now because something requires prompt attention. (Ex: The waiter at an izakaya/pub comes to your table too soon. You're not 100% sure what you want to eat. By the rules, everyone has to order one food but you still don't know what you want! Eek! So~ "TORIAEZU! Edamamae kudasai!" *phew!* The pressure of the waiter hovering over you has lifted and you can now browse the menu at a relaxed pace and find what you really want to eat). But it also has the connotation of indecision/tentativeness & for now/to start with. Sashiatari: Also means "for now," but its base verb "sashiataru" means to face a situation. I went through many names for this - Just Do It (Sorry, Nike!); Go with Your Guts, Spit it Out; Don't Think, Do; Shut Up & Swing! But after the Tamo/Tone/Ebato rooftop conversation in ep07 (when they’re talking about Japanese class and they say if something has no process, just say the first thing you think of) I decided on Trust Your Instincts because that's Tamo's advice to Ebato. Stop worrying so much and just swing! (but if you prefer any of the others, please let me know!)
Alien greeting – It’s the Vulcan Salute from “Star Trek.” There it means, “Live Long & Prosper!” It can be difficult for some people to do. (Notice that Kashiyama-kun can’t actually do it without help. Heehee)

Called Game - AKA the Mercy rule. The Mercy Rule is designed to put weak teams out of their misery. After 7 innings of play, if one team has a significant lead over the other (This drama seems to use 10 as the rule, but it's usually 7), the game is stopped and the 8th and 9th innings won’t be played. According to students I’ve talked to in Japan as well, apparently games will often be called after 2 hours of play even without a significant lead. So, for example: Let’s say it takes 3 hours to get to the bottom of the 7th inning. The home team had their chance at bat and the score is 7-10. A lead of only 3 points isn’t so big, right? But because the first 6 innings took so long, the game will be stopped. A game can also be called on account of darkness (like Aoshi-kun’s miserable high school game) or because of bad weather.

Top/Bottom of Innings – In a normal game, there are 9 innings with each team having a chance to play both offense and defense. The away team (the team whose field they aren’t using; their score is listed first) bats first, and the home team goes on defense. The time from when the first batter on the away team steps up to the plate until the home team gets 3 outs is called the top of the inning. They switch and the time the home team spends at bat is called the bottom of the inning. When both the home and away teams have finished their turns on offense, the inning is over and the move into the next. (Example, 1st to 2nd Inning.)

Rally – Continuing to score points/runs; also means to make a comeback

Bases loaded – a runner on first, second, and third bases. Basically the best scenario for a batter (Not such a fun experience when you’re the pitcher, though. Poor Akaiwa-kun!); if he or she gets a hit, they’re almost guaranteed to score at least one run. Two outs with bases loaded is super high pressure, though, because if you strike out, you’ll be that person who ruined that best chance.

Outfield vs. Infield – the area inside the diamond (the dirt area) is called the infield. Positions include – Pitcher, catcher, 1st baseman, 2nd baseman, Shortstop, and 3rd baseman. The grassy area is called the outfield, and Right fielders (behind 1st base), Center fielders (behind 2nd base) and Left fielders (behind 3rd base) play there. **People are thinking Aoshi-kun is weird pulling Ushimaru-kun into the infield in this game because Takemiya has some very strong hitters; those balls usually go to the outfield and he’s leaving them one man short.

Shutdown inning – When a team doesn’t allow any runs to be scored in their time on defense.

Hit by pitch – If a pitched ball strikes a batter, the game stops and they are automatically allowed to advance one base.

Fair vs. Foul Balls – a ball that’s inside the playing field (the lines drawn from home plate to down third base and from home along the first base line) is fair and one outside is foul. If a ball bounces on or near the line, it’s up to the umpire whether it’s fair or foul. If the ball is fair, play continues; if it’s deemed foul then everything stops/returns as it was.

Triple – Advancing three bases with one hit. 1 base is a single, 2 a double, and 4 a home run. A grand slam is hitting a home run while the bases are loaded.

EPISODE 10
A whole bolt of fabric – The idiom her boss uses is actually something more like “their heads are still on by only a sliver of skin.” (Harry Potter fans – Think ‘Nearly Headless Nick’). She responds along the lines of “It’s not just skin; they’re still attached with muscle!” Since the English expression is “hanging on by a thread,” I was trying to come up with a comeback for her that’d be comparable to skin/muscle. I decided on a bolt of fabric, though that might be not a fair comparison.

FYI - Masumoto starts to play “Auld Lang Syne” his trumpet at practice. In Japan, that’s the song they play for when something comes to an end. (Ex: A store closing for the day)

That’s when we will strike - He’s making a reference to armor here. If you imagine a samurai all suited up, his entire body is covered and pretty much impenetrable. But if they tilt their head, a sliver of skin on the neck is exposed. He’s telling them to stab at that exposed bit.

To mark someone – Focusing defense efforts on someone to shut down their special power/ability (In Okadome’s case, his speed is his strength so he thinks they’ll pay special attention to him and not let him steal bases.)

“Are you saying me being in the bottom of the lineup is normal?!” – Traditionally, the weakest hitters bat 7th, 8th, and 9th. Okadome sees Kashiyama’s comment as an insult to his skills.

Batting cleanup – The cleanup hitter is 4th in the lineup and usually the most powerful on the team. Since the players with the best batting averages occupy the top three positions, they’re expected to hit the ball and get on base. The 4th player’s job is to come in and “clean up” the bases, meaning to bring all those runs home.

All of Riko-san’s quotes (It was too hard to read all of them while he was talking)
“High Return & No Risk!”
“Don’t be late!”
“Games are not about being passive, but active!”
“Even if you’re confused, make a decision”
“Have pride in your weakness”
“The field is a place to experiment”
“Necessary and sufficient practices”
“You can win even if you’re weak”

Dead Ball – When the game stops because of a play that was made, usually when someone has been hit by a pitch

Hotbox– AKA a Rundown or a Pickle – when a base runner is trapped between two bases. The infielders try to tag the runner out before he or she can get either to the next base or back to the original base. A pretty bad position for a runner to be in.

FYI – The hand sign Yoshinaga is making on the TV at 37:37 (the one that looks like devil horns/rock on symbol) is the sign for two outs. If you hold up your first two fingers, it’s hard to see from the outfield if it’s 1 or 2, so they use the pointer finger and the pinkie.

EPISODE 11
ABCDE grades – Students are trying to enter university take practice tests beforehand to try to determine what chance they have of getting in. They receive number scores in each of the tested subjects (Ex: Math: 95, Biology: 89, English: 24) so they can see which areas are weakest that they need to work on. But usually everyone focuses on the letter grades – ABCDE. The letter you receive tells you your chances of getting into that school based on the scores of all the students in the country. (Notice that even though Akaiwa got perfect scores in everything, he only had an 85% chance of getting into Tokyo University. That means there were a lot of other people with perfect scores, too.) Your chances of getting in are as follows: A-Grade: 85%+; B-Grade: 70-84%; C-Grade: 55-69%; D-Grade: 40-54%; E-Grade: Less than 40%. (I rounded a bit) Hopefully this clears up some of the characters’ reactions.

Science 1, 2, 3 - When you apply to university in Japan, just getting in doesn’t guarantee you can take any major you want. Each major requires a different test score, lower or higher depending not only on the difficulty of the course, but the prestige of the department. (Example: Chuo University isn’t the highest-ranked school for most subjects, but their law department is extremely famous, so it might require a higher score to enter than economics, which traditionally requires a higher score at other schools.) As for Tokyo University, they break down their entrance requirements like this:
Tokyo University Faculties – Humanities (I’m not sure exactly what to call this... it really just means non-hard sciences.)
  • Humanities 1: Law
  • Humanities 2: Economics
  • Humanities 3: Literature, Education
    One is easiest. Two and three are about the same level, though two is a little lower.
  • Science 1: Engineering
  • Science 2: Science, Agriculture, Pharmaceutics, Health Sciences
  • Science 3: Medical school
    Two is easiest. One is second. Three is about three times more difficult to enter than two.
Waseda University, Keio University – High-level private universities in Tokyo.

I love you – There have been many debates over how to translate “suki” over the years. After asking around to my Japanese friends, it seems that “ai shiteiru” is something you would only expect to hear if someone was about to lose their life. It’s a really heavy declaration. I suppose we could translate it as “I like you,” but that seems more like something a junior high kid would say than an 18 year-old so I left it at “I love you.”

Hatsumode - Hatsumode literally means “First shrine visit of the new year.” It’s traditional for Japanese people to go to a shrine (or temple) to pray on New Year’s Day (or the first few days after). Some even line up in giant crowds to be there when the priests ring the bells. Someone not going (especially when they have such important exams coming up) is pretty shocking and that’s why the guys give the reaction they did. Perhaps they worry he’s inviting bad luck upon himself by not going.

“You even gave me a glove” – This is a nice gesture in itself, but it’s actually a very big deal. They gave him a catcher’s mitt. Aoshi is left-handed. Sports stores don’t usually (if at all) carry left-handed catcher’s mitts.They often have to be custom-made, so they’re pretty expensive. Actually, because the game goes counter-clockwise (around the bases, I mean), most positions don’t want a lefty in them; they’re basically shoved onto first base, outfield, or pitcher if they want to play. Left-handed catchers are EXTREMELY rare (as in only 5 serious ones in the entire history of the MLB), which makes Aoshi’s determination to do it even more amazing (or foolish, considering how terrible he was). I think left-handed goods might be even more rare in Japan since a lot of Asian countries force lefties to do things right-handedly. (Fortunately I believe the practice of forcing kids to use their right hands has mostly died out in schools, but it is encouraged... and with society pressures to fit in, there could be some kids suppressing themselves.)

Hotshot – The word he uses is “geneki,” which is used to refer to people who pass their university entrance test on their first try.

Ronin – A ronin is a student who failed their entrance exams and thus don’t have anywhere to go or do. Traditionally it has the meaning of a master-less samurai (and thus failure). It’s not the most positive word, but people do use it to describe students in situations like that.

Tokyo Six League – Made up of the “Elite” schools: Wasdeda University | Keio University | Meiji University | Hosei University | Rikkyo University | Tokyo University. They play each other in annual mini tournaments in fall and spring every year.

Not sure if anyone is interested in what the sponsors do, but just in case:
Softbank (cell phone company); Nissay (Life insurance); Kao (Beauty products); Suzuki (Motors – cars and bicycles); Try (Home tutoring service); and Ajinomoto (Food company)
Attachments
Yowakutemo Katemasu ep11 finale (848x420 x264).ass
(62.81 KiB) Downloaded 1134 times
Yowakutemo Katemasu ep10 (848x420 x264).ass
(54.2 KiB) Downloaded 1121 times
Yowakutemo Katemasu ep09 (848x420 x264).ass
(57.27 KiB) Downloaded 1127 times
Yowakutemo Katemasu ep08 (848x420 x264).ass
(67.37 KiB) Downloaded 1157 times

Saltine

Re: Yowakutemo Katemasu [Eng Subs] (ep8-11 of 11)

Postby Saltine » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:43 pm

Thank you very much for posting the latest subs.
We can now enjoy the complete season fully.

Well done! :cheers:

ZemusDS

Postby ZemusDS » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:54 pm

Wow. Great. Thanks for completing this series! :D

boklets

Postby boklets » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:34 pm

Thank you very much for completing the subs for this series!!

Madoka
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby Madoka » Wed Aug 12, 2015 9:57 pm

Thank you so much for completing this series!!!

LanceSalmo

Postby LanceSalmo » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:51 am

Thank you for completing this, I was hoping someone would. U are the best!!! :)

yutodaisuki

Postby yutodaisuki » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:51 am

yeay thank you for completing the softsub :salut:

akakitsu

Postby akakitsu » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:32 pm

I thought I'd never be able to see its end ;-) Thank you so much!!!

ainohanabira

Postby ainohanabira » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:24 am

Thank you so much for your efforts :)

poonk

Postby poonk » Sat Aug 15, 2015 3:52 am

I had completely given up hope on being able to finish this drama! Thank you so, so much for making this possible!

yellowservbot

Postby yellowservbot » Sun Aug 16, 2015 3:03 am

Thank you so much!

DLUDIN

Postby DLUDIN » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:21 am

Thanks for completing the rest of the drama :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Narina

Postby Narina » Sun Aug 16, 2015 5:55 am

OMG thank you so much!! I had given up hope of finishing this drama! Thanks a lot!

angel84

Postby angel84 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:12 pm

BLESS YOU!! Thank you thank youuu. Now I can finally finish the drama.

GaussAlgorithmus

Postby GaussAlgorithmus » Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:39 pm

Thank you very much for finishing this dorama. :) Also, thanks for the explainations regarding the entrance into Todai. I think it's hillarious that it is three times as hard to get into Medical School, then to get into Science. :D Very interesting!

jpfn

Postby jpfn » Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:01 pm

Thanks for finishing the series!

alrick13

Postby alrick13 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:21 am

thanks really appreciate the effort of resurrecting this project

shuzzack

Postby shuzzack » Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:41 pm

thank you so much for completing the series! :cheers:

Lisamon

Postby Lisamon » Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:58 am

Thank you so much for completing this drama, much appreciated! :cheers:

7mi12
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby 7mi12 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:49 am

Hello! Thank you for your work!
Glad that someone continue this project :)

Hope you don't mind if I translated your work to Indonesian, since I've being forcefully dropped this series :cry: ...
I'll write your name as credits, of course :)

thank you very much! :salut: I'll hear from you soon~

SpaceCadet1017

Postby SpaceCadet1017 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:58 am

7mi12 wrote:Hope you don't mind if I translated your work to Indonesian

No problem! :thumright: But please remember that I translated a lot of it by what would make sense to western cultures rather than exactly what they said. I hope that won't hurt anything in re-translation ^^

And to everyone else - You're welcome! I hope you enjoyed the end of the series! Personally, I think it's the most exciting part (but I might be a little biased. :wink: ) You get to see all their personalities change!

7mi12
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby 7mi12 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:16 am

SpaceCadet1017 wrote:
7mi12 wrote:Hope you don't mind if I translated your work to Indonesian

No problem! :thumright: But please remember that I translated a lot of it by what would make sense to western cultures rather than exactly what they said. I hope that won't hurt anything in re-translation ^^

And to everyone else - You're welcome! I hope you enjoyed the end of the series! Personally, I think it's the most exciting part (but I might be a little biased. :wink: ) You get to see all their personalities change!

Thank you! It won't be a problem :)

zetobelt

Postby zetobelt » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:15 am

Thank you. It's always good to see a finished project! :D

tezuka_eiri

Postby tezuka_eiri » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:27 am

thank you for completing the missing episodes subtitles.

mauzzzie

Postby mauzzzie » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:35 pm

Ah thank you so much for this! I'd given up on ever understanding the last episodes! This is great :D

caelis

Postby caelis » Sun Mar 20, 2016 9:20 am

This is awesome! Thank you very much for subbing the remaining episodes :D

Return to “Subtitles”