Teppan [Eng subs] (Ep 001-060 of 151)

You can find/upload subtitle files for tv drama series here.
Please use the Fansubbing forum to discuss subtitles.
Belthazar

Teppan [Eng subs] (Ep 001-060 of 151)

Postby Belthazar » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:02 am

Teppan

The 83rd Asadora, which aired in 2010-2011, Teppan stars Takimoto Miori as Murakami Akari, a girl from Onomichi, and Fuji Sumiko as Tanaka Hatsune, a grandmother from Osaka. Akari loves okonomiyaki and playing the trumpet - her dream is that she can someday earn a living from playing the trumpet. When she encounters a woman from Osaka throwing a trumpet into the sea, neither of their lives will ever be the same again...

Translation / Editing / Timing (Wk 8+): Belthazar
Timing (Wk 1-7) / Typesetting: Murai82
Checking (Wk 10+): kashikoisaru

Both of us are completely new at this, so I'll welcome any comments, though I reserve the right to simply ignore any that are unconstructive. Also, episodes will be released when a whole week's worth is done. Subitles are .ass, timed to match the files uploaded by Lezl here on d-addicts.

Enjoy!

Translation notes:
Week 1:
Teppan - The word itself means "iron plate". It's where the name of teppanyaki cuisine comes from.

Beccha - The Beccha matsuri is an annual festival in Onomichi, held on the first few days of November. People dress up as demons called "Beccha" and run around with tasseled sticks, using them to thwack children (and in doing so, drive off sickness for the year). There's three of them: Soba (wearing a white mask), Bata (in a brown mask) and Shoki (in a red mask). Here's a video of them in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUSmh8oRBZQ

Kusunoki Fudo - Really minor thing, hardly worth commenting on, but certainly too wordy to do in the episode. Near as I can tell, this whole area of Osaka is completely fictional - though there's a Hannan City to the south of Osaka, there's no Hannan Ward within Osaka. Kusunoki Fudo is or was a shrine to a buddhist deity named Acala ("The Unmovable" - "Fudo" means "Unmovable" and is the Japanese name for Acala). Kusunoki means "camphor tree", but I'm not sure of the exact significance of that. The banners inside read "Kusunoki Fudoson" which is a more formal name. The book describes it as "A place called 'Kusunoki Fudoson' where Ofudo-san once passed through" which doesn't really help matters.

Tsutenkaku - Fairly famous tower in Osaka. Wikipedia. I've tried to figure out the rough location of the house from the directions she points, but really, that describes a fairly large triangle which covers basically all of the most populous area of Osaka. Tsutenkaku is fairly near the northern terminus of the Hankai Tramway, which we see Akari catch to reach Hatsune's house, and which never passes anywhere near JR Osaka station, sooo.... yeah.

Katsuobushi - It's dried bonito. You often find shaved katsuobushi on top of okonomiyaki and takoyaki. Decided to leave it untranslated, just because.

Music - I've decided to add the names of songs played in episodes (if I can recognise or otherwise identify them, in any case) in on-screen captions, because a lot of them would be instantly recogisable to the Japanese viewers. Mata Au Hi Made is one such song, reaching number one on the charts in Japan in 1971 and winning its composer the Japan Record Award.

Week 3:
Episode 013
01'03 "My new world!" - This is something of a visual pun. Namely, the area of Osaka where she's standing is called Shinsekai, which means "New World". Not sure if Akari's supposed to be aware of that - the novelisation includes the line, but makes no mention of where she delivers it.

02'36 Streetcar - A little bit of "let's explore Osaka" fun: this is the mainline of Osaka's Hankai Tramway. It starts at Tsutenkaku and heads southwards until it enters the city of Sakai. The clue that allowed me to determine this is the destination board, which reads "Abikomichi", one of the stations on the line. Also because it's Osaka's only streetcar which looks that old.

05'59 "Call me 'Boss'" - the actual word used here (and for Hamano in the next episode) is "shachou" which means "company president". I just think "president" is too clunky to use in dialogue, and I can't stand "prez", so I've decided to go with "boss" instead, even if it is a little casual.

08'43 "Suddenly... I don't have a place to live" - Companies in Japan will often provide rental accommodation for their employees in lieu of some proportion of their pay, especially if they're hiring them from a great distance, as is the case for Akari. Evidently, Akari's managed to live there long enough to deposit her luggage, but now that her company is gone, she won't be able to stay there.

11'56 That's Tsutenkaku in the background. The writing on the side says "Energetic Osaka, Capital of Beautiful Water" and then "Have you got it!? Diligence" (i.e. "be safe on the roads"). Incidentally, we're also getting a reprise of the "my new world" pun - she's currently walking out of the Shinsekai area in this shot.

12'23 Key money - This exists to a certain extent in America, which is why I've gone with the translation "key money", but the Japanese word is "reikin" which means "gratitude money". On paper, it's a gift to the landlord to thank them for allowing you to rent, but in reality it's little more than institutionalised bribery. It can be anything from two to six months' rent in advance, and it goes straight into the landlord's pockets - with the security deposit on top of that, you can sometimes wind up forking out a whole year's rent upfront before you even set foot in the property you're renting. Obviously, it's rather unpopular amongst renters in Japan - some places are even starting to advertise "no key money!" as a rental perk.

Episode 14
01'48 Hamano standee - The words in the box on this life-size cutout of Hamano (and the little ones you see all over the place with him playing the trombone) are a repeat of his "katsuo... bushi!" pun from the first week - that is, the "bushi" is written as 武士, the kanji which mean "samurai". Can't tell if it's just some affectation of his, or if he's also supposed to be the company mascot or something. This particular standee is also saying "Delicious!" or "Tasty!".

12'42 Osaka-ben - Osaka dialect. Kyoto was the capital of Japan for over a thousand years, so for a long time, the Kansai dialect (of which Osaka-ben is a variant) was the definition of Japanese. With the Meiji Restoration and the return of power to the Emperor, the capital moved to Edo (now Tokyo) and Tokyo-ben became "standard Japanese", and Kansai dialect is seen as a sort of "country hick" accent. From the context, I'm getting the feeling that Fuyumi's Osaka-ben is particularly strong or weird, but since I'm basically learning Osaka-ben (and Hiroshima-ben) on the run as I work on this series, I'm not good enough at it yet to spot the difference.

Episode 15
06'12 Dashi - it's a basic soup stock in Japan usually made from boiling katsuobushi and kombu (kelp). It's the basis for practically everything in Japanese cuisine, and seen as being rich in umami.

13'23 Menu - Like I mentioned in the in-episode note, these are all okonomiyaki toppings. If you're interested, this menu reads (from right to left):
  • Pork topping - 400 yen
  • Squid topping - 400 yen
  • Prawn topping - 450 yen
  • Mixed topping - 500 yen
  • Mixed yakisoba - 450 yen
  • Mixed yakisoba (large) - 550 yen
Can't quite make out the one on the far left, but I think it's "large okonomiyaki - 100 yen extra". There's also one by the door which you see when Hatsune walks in which is offering medium beer for 350 yen.

13'39 Blue cloth - this is a noren, a slitted cloth which is hung in shop and restaurant doorways to indicate that they're open for business.

Episode 16
12'15 Marathon-kun - This is Fuyumi's nickname for Takizawa. Specifically, she calls him "Ekiden-kun" - "ekiden" means "long-distance relay race". Didn't really want to call him "long-distance runner-kun", and I thought leaving it as "Ekiden-kun" would be too confusing, so I decided to render it as "Marathon-kun" (even though the Japanese word for "marathon" is "marason", borrowed straight from English).

12'20 Corporate track-and-field club - Companies in Japan will often field their own sport teams in city-wide or prefecture-wide competitions. Usually baseball, but evidently track-and-field teams exist too. I'm not sure exactly what Takizawa does for a living, but I'm fairly sure he's not a professional runner. (Fairly sure his character description in the novelisation says he tried to be, but had to drop out early due to an injury... which might be a spoiler for next week. Dunno.)

Week 4:
Episode 19
03'37 - Let's explore Osaka! That's Osaka Castle in the background, which Hatsune mentioned in the first week. It's actually a concrete reconstruction - all marble and air conditioning on the inside. I've been there, and it's possible I've even have climbed the stairs they're sitting on. Not entirely certain of that, though.

08'15 - What happened to the public bath? In this scene, they're drinking milk, which is a sort of visual shorthand to indicate they've just come from the bath. Basically, drinking milk - especially out of bottles like those - is something that you do after a bath. Don't ask me why. Helps you grow big and strong, sort of thing.

Episode 20
00'28 Stamp - He's asking for her hanko, which is a wooden or stone seal used in place of signatures in Japan. Though signatures are starting to become a little more prevalent, you pretty much require a hanko to do any business in Japan, including opening a bank account.

11'52 Hijiki - It's a kind of seaweed, often served at breakfast. Pretty sure I've eaten it before. According to Japanese folklore, hijiki aids health and beauty, and thick, black, lustrous hair is connected to regular consumption of small amounts of hijiki.

13'57 Itadakimasu - I've been assuming that people viewing this are drama fans, and already have a passing knowledge of some of the more common phrases, so I've been leaving "itadakimasu" and "gochisousama" untranslated to add flavour. If you've never heard these before and I've just been confusing you, I apologise. "Itadakimasu" is a phrase said before eating - it literally means "I (humbly) receive", and is roughly equivalent to the Western practice of saying grace. "Gochisousama" is said after meals, and roughly means "that was a great feast!".

Episode 21
14'55 Ikkyu-san - Ikkyu-san is the main character of an anime series, which ran from 1975 to 1982, and is based on a Buddhist monk named Ikkyu Soujun who lived in the fifteenth century. The series follows his mischievous adventures as a child during his stay at Ankoku Temple. Innoshima, incidentally, is a part of Onomichi.

Episode 24
12'02 "I Look Up As I Walk" - In case you've been wondering where this week's title comes from, this is it. This is an incredibly well-known song in Japan - the lyrics tell a story of a man who looks up and whistles while he walks so that tears won't fall from his eyes. It's also quite well-known in the West, but under the name "Sukiyaki", which has nothing whatsoever to do with the song at all. It's one of the best-selling singles worldwide. It reached the top of the Billboard Top 100 charts in the US in 1963, and remains to date the only Japanese-language song ever to have done so.

Week 5:
Episode 25
01'23 First-paycheck present - It's traditional in Japan to use the money you recieve in your first paycheck to buy presents for those who look after you. Apparently a similar tradition exists in Korea too, but there you buy presents for your coworkers instead.

05'00 Hamashou website - Sadly, hamasho.katsuobushi.com (or co.jp) doesn't appear to be a real website. Shucks. Neither is katsuobushi.no.eiyou (which isn't terribly surprising). Not going to translate all of the text on that website, but the headings read:

Dashi and Katsuobushi Maniac News
Hamashou Katsuobushi - Katsuobushi Contents
  • Katsuobushi History
  • Katsuobushi's Comrades
  • Katsobushi Nutrition
  • What's Katsobushi's Production Area?
  • Connecting the Food Culture
  • How to make Katsuobushi

Second page:
Katsuobushi Nutrition
  • The Secret of Umami
  • Rejuvenating with Inosinic Acid

10'48 Hatsune's dashimaki recipe reads:

Dashimaki tamago

• Eggs... 3
  • First dashi... 1 ladleful
  • Light soy sauce... 1 teaspoon
  • Salt... a little
  • Sugar... a little

Take the dashi, add seasonings (taste it here) and cool down... [can't read past here]
Combine the dashi with the eggs... [can't read past here]

13'13 This card lists Akari's wishes for each person. Machiko just read three-quarters of it out loud, the one she missed is "To Mum, so that she can enjoy making food every day." Not quite enough time to put it on the screen during the episode.

14'42 Machiko's dashimaki recipe reads:

Mum's Dashimaki Tamago

Ingredients (mix together in a bowl):
  • Eggs 3
  • Dashi 30 mL
  • Light soy sauce 1 teaspoon
  • Salt Half a teaspoon
  • Sugar a little

1. Coat a frying pan with oil and heat
2. Pour in the egg mixture and fry (repeat two more times or so)

Episode 26
08'06 I think what Hatsune is dishing up might be hijiki (cf episode 20). Not entirely certain, though. Unfortunately, I'm not expert enough on Japanese cuisine to identify the various seaweed dishes by sight. :)

Episode 27
07'59 "She was a hostess" - A hostess (in Japan) is an employee at a hostess club, where they light cigarettes, pour drinks, offer flirtatious conversation, and sing karaoke to entertain customers (usually male). It doesn't get any more risqué than that - there's no dancing or nudity or whatnot, though hostesses are sometimes obliged to go on paid dates with customers outside of the business, during which time, anything could go. There are also host clubs, catering to the ladies.

10'23 Noppe - Noppe is a stew made from left-over vegetables boiled in sesame oil.

12'34 Hatsune-han - One of the quirks of the Osaka dialect is that s-sounds in standard Japanese tend to become h-sounds. So "han" is the Osakan version of the "san" honorific.

Episode 28
04'48 "Takizawa from the Hakone Ekiden?" - The Hakone Ekiden is one of the most prominent university relay marathon races of the year, held between Tokyo and Hakone on the 2nd and 3rd of January. It's big enough that they show it on TV. The whole course is about 217km long, divided into ten sections, and each runner runs one section each. Women are not allowed to compete. Foreigners are permitted to run, but (to avoid offending delicate Japanese sensibilities) are not permitted to run in the first or last segment on either day, so that Japanese viewers don't have to watch a foreigner crossing the line first. Incidentally, the word "ekiden" is the same word Fuyumi uses in her nickname for Takizawa.

Week 6:
Obon, or just Bon, which features prominently throughout this week's episodes, is a three-day Buddhist festival to honour the spirits of one's ancestors. It's essentially evolved into a family-reunion holiday, where people return to their hometowns, and clean their ancestral graves. It's believed the spirits of the dead can return to Earth during Obon, in particular visiting the household altar. In the Osaka/Hiroshima area, it's celebrated around the middle of August. It's not a public holiday, but people will typically be given leave from work anyway.

Episode 31
05'24 Hugging - Despite the increasing prevalence of Western mannerisms in Japan, hugging goodbye is still not something that's done commonly, even between close friends. That Kana hugs Akari here is setting off all manner of alarm bells in Akari's head.

Episode 34
02'42 Folder - The Japanese word that I've been translating as "arranged marriage" is "omiai" which means something closer to "formal marriage interview" (the literal meaning is "looking at each other") - but when they're just saying "omiai", then "arranged marriage" is already way too long to squish into the subtitles. They used to be the norm, but during the American occupation of Japan after WWII, they also brought with them the concept of marrying for love (though to be honest, say the Japanese, there's no reason that an omiai couldn't result in love). In any case, the folder that Kyuu is holding here would still be immediately recognisable to anyone in Japan - it's a sort of résumé of the potential marriage partner. Along with photographs, it'll also contain information about the candidate's age, health, education, career, annual income, family history, et cetera.

03'06 "Selling your daughter" - the actual verb used here has connotations of selling into prostitution or slavery. Rather strong implications, but a little difficult to fit into the subtitles.

Week 7:
Episode 37
03'28 Bar mama - "mama" is the title for the female owner of a bar in Japan. No idea why. It's the same as the word "mama" in English - means "mother".

03'59 Rental shop guide - you can see an example here of security deposits and key money at work (though there's a lot of words here, so you may have to pause it). Notice that even though the rent is 95k yen per month, the up-front money totals 1.05 million, or a bit over eleven months' rent. The green area in the top left is labeled "back yard" - for some reason, "back yard" in Japanese refers to a storage space in the back of a shop (as well as the more typical meaning of a back garden).

09'09 Pudding - The word "purin" (meaning "pudding") in Japanese always refers to crème caramel, which is sold pretty much everywhere, often in little cups like these. It seems to be the favourite snack of every anime and drama character I've ever seen (and characters complaining about other characters eating their pudding is a common trope) but I've no idea how widely eaten it is in real life. I have to admit, I'm not entirely enamoured of it, myself.

10'19 Grandir-Casa Tanaka - "Grandir" is French, meaning "grand". "Casa" is Spanish, meaing "house". It wouldn't be entirely odd for apartment buildings in Japan to be named in other languages, but... probably not two at once. The name of this house is actually "Tanaka-sou", which I've elected to render a few lines later as "Tanaka Manor" - the "-sou" suffix is commonly used for apartment buildings.

12'44 Address - The sender's address on the letter is an assemblage of place names that exist, but not all in the same location. Niigata Prefecture is a prefecture to the north of Tokyo (north-east of Osaka), Chiisagata District is in Nagano Prefecture, just to the south. Matsukawa Town is also in Nagano, but in Shimoina District. Adachi, with those particular kanji, is one of the special wards of Tokyo.

Episode 39
02'01 - That's Teppei sleeping in the hallway. I have no idea why it never gets mentioned - maybe it's in a deleted scene. The novelisation reads "Teppei, who'd just turned twenty [the legal age for drinking in Japan], promptly drank himself into unconciousness, but laughing, crying and cheering each other on, everyone kept drinking in lively fashion." Or possibly "passed the time" instead of "kept drinking" - it's the same verb, though maybe it could just be both at once. Akari and Kana are younger than twenty, incidentally, which is why they're just drinking juice.

04'49 "an okonomiyaki shop suits me better" - what she actually says is "being an okonomiyaki shop obachan [= auntie, old lady, that sort of thing] would suit me better" (i.e. as opposed to being a bar mama), but I was a little pressed for time for these subtitles.

14'20 Kinki region - The Kinki region is an area of Japan, which basically consists of what's on the TV, though there's some differences depending on who you ask. From top to bottom, the prefectures shown are Fukui, Kyoto, Hyogo, Shiga, Osaka, Mie, Nara, Kagawa, Tokushima and Wakayama. It's roughly equivalent to the Kansai region, though according to some sources, there are some prefectures included under one heading but not under the other (i.e. Fukui, Kagawa and Tokushima are not usually included in the Kansai region).

14'39 - That thing they're hanging is a Teruteru Bouzu, a charm to attract good weather for the following day. The name literally means "shine shine monk" - buddhist monk who brings the sunshine. If hung upside down, it's a charm to bring rain instead.

Episode 41
14'55 Fujisugata-kai - They're a dance troupe. That's about all I've been able to ascertain about them. The name means "wisteria-shaped association", basically.

Episode 42
03'00 Natsuyo speaks with a Niigata accent - as does Fuyumi, when she's speaking to Natsuyo (but she affects an Osakan accent at other times, hence the various comments about her weird way of speaking). I've been learning the Osaka and Hiroshima dialects so I can translate this show, and I've gotten familiar enough that I can hear the difference when they speak in the Niigata dialect.

04'18 This is a daruma - named after Bodhidharma, the founder of Zen Buddhism, the're almost always red and have a bearded face. They're usually weighted at the bottom so as to return upright if tipped over. Though technically a toy, they're regarded a good-luck charm in Japan - they often come with blank eyes; when you make a wish, you paint the pupil in one eye, and when it comes true, you paint the other.

Week 8:
Episode 43
09'34 - The Hamano standee is now saying something like "Get your dashi here".

09'54 "Ma-... marke, is it?" - Tanaka has already shown herself to be fairly traditional in her upbringing, which is indicated by various things like her habit of writing vertically, some word choices and so forth. The phrase "market research" was borrowed straight from English comparatively recently, so it's quite possible she has no idea what it means.

10'56 - There's too much writing on this piece of paper to translate it all (and you never quite see the whole thing anyway) but what it is is more important than what it says. Just to give you an idea, though, the first few visible lines read:
  • Yakisoba noodles: Maruoka Noodle Factory - no more than 80 yen per serving.
  • Liquor store (for buying soft drink, oolong tea and the like): Yamamoto Shop.
    Get a quote for cases
  • Butcher: Mitsuhashi Butcher's Shop
    Pork ribs no more than 220 yen per 100 grams. They can freeze it, too, so it's worth buying in bulk.
    The number of slices is less when it's thick-sliced, so be careful of the thickness.
    So you can make sure to always stock the same thing!
  • Seafood: Matsumoto Fishmonger
    If you buy squid by the case and freeze it, it's cheaper.
Et cetera.

Episode 44
08'56 - This is the household Buddhist altar. Not completely sure why I don't seem to have mentioned this in my notes before - probably because it appears fairly often in anime and drama, so I guess I just assumed everyone would recognise it. In any case, it's a place where people in the house can offer food and incense to Buddha - and, more importantly, to deceased relatives, which is what's going on here. Thought I'd better clarify that, because it's not explicitly stated in the episode: she's giving the okonomiyaki to Chiharu. Fun fact, the rin gong that Akari is using here is so ubiquitous that just the sound of it is used in comedic scenes in anime to mean "this character is dead" (i.e. because they just got punched by an angry girlfriend, or they received a huge shock, et cetera). Wikipedia.

Episode 46
13'58 Hamashou-san - It's typical to refer to representatives of a company by calling them (company name)-san or (profession)-san.

Episode 47
12'28 The posters read:

Onomichi-style Okonomiyaki
September 26th (Sat) at 11:30am
OPEN!
Weekdays 5-9pm
Weekends and holidays 11:30am-2pm, 5-9pm
We look forward to your visit!
Onomicchan

The sketch in the top right is Onomichi. The guy in the bottom left is saying "heaps delicious!". His eyes are "o" and "no" and his nose appears to be a "shi", but I'm not certain of the relevance, there.

13'07 Blue cloth - As previously stated (waaay back in episode 15) this is a noren. It's hung in the doorways of businesses to keep out dust and noise from the street, and it also functions as a sign board for the business, as you can see here. You'll see it in use more in upcoming episodes, but simply put, you know the business is open when their noren is hanging outside - hanging the noren is usually the last step of the shop-opening procedure. If it's hanging inside (usually back-to-front) then you know the shop is closed. (It's sometimes always used between the kitchen and dining room in houses for the similar reason - to keep out noises and dust.)

13'26 "Never shows her teeth" - Traditionally in Japan, it was considered uncouth for women to show their teeth. It's why you'll often see women covering their mouths with one hand when they laugh. Fairly sure this has been changing in recent years, though, especially in Tokyo.

14'39 Handcraft - Remember this guy from episode 39? It's a Teruteru Bouzu. Thought Tanaka always knew when it'd rain, though. :P

Episode 48
00'17 Menu - New menu for a new restaurant. Speech bubble at the top says "Onomichi-style". From right to left:
  • Pork topping - 600 yen
  • Squid topping - 600 yen
  • Mixed topping - 800 yen
  • Yakisoba - 500 yen
  • Fried chicken gizzard - 300 yen
  • Oolong tea - 150 yen
  • Soft drinks - 150 yen
  • Cider - 150 yen
There's another speech bubble below the menu which is only partially visible in this shot - it reads "large size is 100 yen extra". There are menu cards around the place which are seen in use during the episode - there's never a close enough shot for me to read them clearly, but they basically say the same thing as the main menu board (though they've got section headings saying "okonomiyaki" and "drinks"). Fried chicken gizzard, incidentally, is what we saw Jou making on the teppan back in episode one.

06'15 Hanging the noren inside - Like I mentioned in last episode's notes, it's basically the same as hanging a "closed" sign in the window.

07'52 Happy Birthday - There's no traditional happy birthday song in Japan, so yeah, they sing the English song, just as they are here.

09'04 - Yes, the chorus of Ginga Tetsudou Surii Nain is in English, too.

Episode 50
02'23 - Here we're getting a crash course in some of the more subtle differences between Osaka-style and Onomichi-style. Konbu dashi is dashi made primarily from konbu, logically enough. Yamaimo is Japanese yam (note to Americans: yams are NOT sweet potatoes - different vegetable completely) which, when finely grated, forms a paste with a fairly unique texture.

Episode 51
02'04 - This thing they're praying to is a kamidana, essentially the Shinto version of the Buddhist altar which I described back in episode 44. Basically it enshrines a representation of a Shinto kami. It's meant to be placed above eye-level (as it is here) but it's also not supposed to be placed over an entryway or where people would walk underneath it (unlike how it is here). Wikipedia.

09'26 - The back of his jacket reads "Okonomiyaki Ganbariya". It's the name of the place where he's working.

Episode 52
06'35 "Iriko is the flavour of Onomichi" - I have to admit, I don't recall Tetsu ever delivering this line at any point previously. In any case, iriko (as mentioned in an in-episode note earlier) are dried baby sardines. Also called niboshi, they're eaten whole as a snack (as Akari is doing here) or boiled in water to make dashi (as Akari will do shortly). I've not been able to find any particular indication that it's a regional speciality of Onomichi, though - Shikoku, yes, but not Onomichi. Perhaps my search fu is just weak.

Episode 53
00'47 "That's honkarebushi from Makurazaki" - honkarebushi is basically absolute top-grade katsuobushi. Makurazaki in Kagoshima Prefecture is famous for its katsuobushi.

02'26 Phone e-mail - it's on the screen too fast to translate, but it basically just says "Subject: Onomicchan. Happy nineteenth!"

Episode 54
03'39 Poster on the wall - Yellow one says "Now serving Osaka-style okonomiyaki!". Pink one is a breakdown of how Onomichi-style okonomiyaki is made.

Episode 55
04'06 Fun fact, the streetcar noises playing over the top of this shot are being used to imply travel is occurring, without actually showing it on-screen (and as opposed to implying that the streetcar can be heard from where they're standing). You'll hear it being used again later in the week.

Episode 56
11'44 Chopin's "Farewell Waltz" - Specifically, this is Waltz in A-flat major, Op. 69, No. 1, also called "The Farewell Waltz" or "Valse de l'adieu".

Episode 57
06'02 Shijimi soup - it's miso soup with shijimi (basket clams). I've had it myself, and was quite surprised to discover a bunch of clamshells sitting at the bottom of the cup.

06'19 Cultural fun with the Hamano standee - the gesture he's making is the way you mime eating in Japan. In Western countries, we mime cutting things with a knife and fork (or else shovelling food into your mouth with both hands). In Japan, you mime holding a bowl with one hand, and with the index and middle fingers of the other hand extended to form chopsticks, you mime moving food from the bowl to your mouth.

07'42 Thing Ryuuen is holding - This is how katsuobushi used to be made in the home. You'd buy dried katsuo whole (i.e. that wood-like thing in Ryuuen's hand is a dried fish, remember) and shave it on this plane box thing. Nowadays people just buy it pre-shaved. Some still do it the traditional way, though. Some even dry their own katsuo, though it takes literally months. Even years for the seriously high-quality stuff. (I've learnt, incidentally, and contrary to my note back in week one, that even though katsuobushi is called "bonito flakes" in English, it's only the el cheapo stuff that's made from bonito. True katsuobushi is made from skipjack tuna only. Confusingly, "oceanic bonito" is another name for the skipjack tuna, even though the true bonito is a completely different fish.)

10'18 I'm about 90% sure this shot was taken from the Sensoji Ropeway. Wikipedia. It's well and truly on my list of things to do if I ever get a chance to visit Japan again. =)

Episode 58
07'47 Twenty years since Chiharu-san's death - what Machiko literally says is that it'll soon be Chiharu-san's twentieth death anniversary, though that was too long to squish into the time allocated for the line. A person's death anniversary is a solemn occasion for families in Japan, where members gather to pray, make offerings on the household altar, and visit the person's grave (often this will involve general upkeep and maintenance, like washing the gravestone, replacing the flowers, splashing water around and so forth). Though considering Chiharu-san's grave is currently in Onomichi, some modifications of the procedure may be in order.

10'35 Older oneechan - That's Fuyumi, remember.

13'30 Welcome, et al - This exchange is basically standard greetings and welcomes, but at an extremely formal level. It's customary to bring a gift when visiting someone's house - often it's a special food item. That's the bag that Jou gives to Tanaka-san. It's not particularly important for the storyline what it is specifically, which is why we never see it again - it's just standard niceties.

14'54 PTA - Stands for "Parent-Teacher Association". Yes, in English, though the Japanese word is just the letters "PTA", pronounced as such. The concept was imported direct from America. Fun fact: in Australia, they're called P&C - Parents and Citizens (Association).

Episode 60
10'00 No, I don't know what Iwasaki and Hamano are suddenly doing there either. The book doesn't seem to include these scenes with the other housemates at all, aside from Tanaka remembering she'd forgotten to feed them, Nakaoka reassuring her that they'd be all right, and Takizawa's stomach growling. Even Den-san doesn't get mentioned.
Attachments
Teppan 10th Week.zip
Episodes 055-060
(38.48 KiB) Downloaded 148 times
Teppan 9th Week.zip
Episodes 049-054
(41.48 KiB) Downloaded 194 times
Teppan 8th Week.zip
Episodes 043-048
(43.94 KiB) Downloaded 220 times
Teppan 7th Week.zip
Episodes 037-042
(45.48 KiB) Downloaded 309 times
Teppan 6th Week.zip
Episodes 031-036
(44.64 KiB) Downloaded 374 times
Teppan 5th Week.zip
Episodes 025-030
(47.68 KiB) Downloaded 445 times
Teppan 4th Week.zip
Episodes 019-024
(46.96 KiB) Downloaded 477 times
Teppan 3rd Week.zip
Episodes 013-018
(50.32 KiB) Downloaded 512 times
Teppan 2nd Week.zip
Episodes 007-012
(49.16 KiB) Downloaded 665 times
Teppan 1st Week.zip
Episodes 001-006
(46.75 KiB) Downloaded 965 times
Last edited by Belthazar on Sun Sep 11, 2016 5:57 am, edited 11 times in total.

bakastar74

Postby bakastar74 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:44 am

Thank you!

Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Keiko1981 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 9:58 am

Thank you so much! :-) :wub:

tinkerbell
Fansubber
Fansubber

Postby tinkerbell » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:07 am

It's so nice to see another asadora being subbed. : )
See Unsolved Cases for fansub releases.

czaffni

Postby czaffni » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:40 pm

Thanks so much! Good luck! :D

naokanzaki

Postby naokanzaki » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:56 pm

Thanks for the subs but where are others getting the episodes? Week 1 is not seeded here, is there somewhere else to go to get the raws?

dhisashi

Postby dhisashi » Mon Oct 21, 2013 4:58 pm

naokanzaki wrote:Thanks for the subs but where are others getting the episodes? Week 1 is not seeded here, is there somewhere else to go to get the raws?

I also would like to get the raws. Anyone can you provide a link.

:pray: :pray: :pray:

Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Keiko1981 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:03 pm

dhisashi wrote:
naokanzaki wrote:Thanks for the subs but where are others getting the episodes? Week 1 is not seeded here, is there somewhere else to go to get the raws?

I got them all (720p).

Murai82

Postby Murai82 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:10 pm

Thanks for all the feedbacks guys!
About the raws matter, I'm currently seeding all weeks, but my connection in upload isn't that good.
So to answer your questions, you can download the raws here on d-addicts, but we're currently in need of some reliable seeders.
I will give priority to the first week tomorrow so you can all get the first week.
Hope you enjoy Teppan as much as we do.
:-)

naokanzaki

Postby naokanzaki » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:20 pm

^ Thanks, I'm someone who keeps things seeded for a long time so will keep that week and any others seeded.

Ngon1

Postby Ngon1 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 10:21 pm

Thank you very much.

alicechen

Postby alicechen » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:37 am

Wow, I saw the number of episodes and my eyes popped. Just wanna thank you guys for the incredible patience to take on such humongous project!

Ganbatte! :cheers:
A Virtual Voyage - "Drifting around the world...effortlessly."

purisu

Postby purisu » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:50 am

Yaaay another asadora getting subbed! Thank you very much! :salut:

dhisashi

Postby dhisashi » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:13 am

Keiko1981 wrote:
dhisashi wrote:

I got them all (720p).

I have plenty of time to download the RAWs, but could you Seed a couple of weeks at a time for awhile?

I found that I had downloaded the first three weeks from Asia Torrents.

I am now downloading weeks 4 through 26 (720p) from here.

Thanks in advance. , :-)

beailoveyou

Postby beailoveyou » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:03 am

OMG OMG OMG THaNK YOU!!!!! KYAA!!!!

Will download and seed, for sure! :wub: :salut:

Belthazar

Postby Belthazar » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:17 am

Thanks for all the encouragement.

As for seeding things, I've got everything up to week 20 so far, though can't seed everything at once. Didn't notice that I wasn't seeding week one at all. :unsure: I'll try to keep an eye on how much attention things are getting, and shuffle my focus around accordingly. Don't really anticipate making ludicrous speed on this (mostly because we're having to do a lot of the epsiodes completely from scrach) so it's not particularly time-critical. :D

alicechen wrote:Wow, I saw the number of episodes and my eyes popped. Just wanna thank you guys for the incredible patience to take on such humongous project!

Well they're only quarter-hour episodes, which makes things a little easier. That still equates to almost 38 hours total, though. :)

j_halo7

Postby j_halo7 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:20 pm

Can anyone tell me whether this drama focuses on the main character playing the trumpet or her making okonomiyaki? I'm more interested in the latter. :P

Maybe someone can make a batch torrent? That will help keep the torrent alive longer.
Now watching: Too many to count. XD

Belthazar

Postby Belthazar » Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:49 pm

Okonomiyaki is the focus, near as I can tell.

[spoiler]She opens an okonomiyaki restaurant a few weeks in, sooo... yeah. :) Glancing around the place, she does keep up with the trumpet a bit, though.[/spoiler]

j_halo7

Postby j_halo7 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:32 pm

Belthazar wrote:Okonomiyaki is the focus, near as I can tell.

[spoiler]She opens an okonomiyaki restaurant a few weeks in, sooo... yeah. :) Glancing around the place, she does keep up with the trumpet a bit, though.[/spoiler]

Thanks for replying! I decided to download it after reading this.

I've watched the first 6 episode and I like it so far. Thanks for subbing this drama. :salut:

j_halo7

Postby j_halo7 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 2:20 pm

Sorry to be posting this here but I'm not sure if anyone even checks the torrent files of the episodes any more.

Can a kind soul please seed Teppan, week 21 onwards until the specials? There is not even 1 seeder and I see many others stuck at the same place too. Please help us all by seeding.

dhisashi

Postby dhisashi » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:01 pm

j_halo7 wrote:Sorry to be posting this here but I'm not sure if anyone even checks the torrent files of the episodes any more.

Can a kind soul please seed Teppan, week 21 onwards until the specials? There is not even 1 seeder and I see many others stuck at the same place too. Please help us all by seeding.

I am one of those 9 to 14 people who are stuck because of no seeds for weeks 21 - 26.
The percentage for each week are as follows:

week 21 = 10%
week 22 = 92%
week 23 = 92%
week 24 = 33%
week 25 = 99%
week 26 = 32%

I will also copy and paste this Post to the Seed Requests.

Murai82

Postby Murai82 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:15 pm

Seeding from week 21 to 26! I don't have the best internet connection out there, but it should get the job done! :salut:

j_halo7

Postby j_halo7 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:19 pm

Murai82 wrote:Seeding from week 21 to 26! I don't have the best internet connection out there, but it should get the job done! :salut:

Thank you so much!! :w00t:

dhisashi

Postby dhisashi » Tue Oct 29, 2013 5:39 pm

Murai82 wrote:Seeding from week 21 to 26! I don't have the best internet connection out there, but it should get the job done! :salut:

Yes.
Thank you.

So far multiple 100% now seeding for weeks 22, 23 and 25.
Week 21 = 13%
Week 24 = 44%
Week 26 = 37%

Thanks again.

am00339

Postby am00339 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:21 pm

Thank you !!!  

dhisashi

Postby dhisashi » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:25 pm

Thanks to the new seeds for weeks 21 through 26.

There are now seeds for every week.

I will continue to seed, but since I have a slow upload I will seed one week at a time.

Unfortunately not everyone who downloads continues to seed. . :-(

:-)

Belthazar

Postby Belthazar » Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:13 pm

I didn't even have weeks 21 to 26 until just now, but I'll add them to the pile of "stuff to keep an eye on and seed if needed". :) Now, I wonder if anyone can seed the specials. Not that I expect to be able to translate them...

dhisashi wrote:Unfortunately not everyone who downloads continues to seed. . :-(

Ain't that always the case?

Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Keiko1981 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:04 am

Belthazar wrote:I didn't even have weeks 21 to 26 until just now, but I'll add them to the pile of "stuff to keep an eye on and seed if needed". :) Now, I wonder if anyone can seed the specials. Not that I expect to be able to translate them...

dhisashi wrote:Unfortunately not everyone who downloads continues to seed. . :-(

Ain't that always the case?

I will be seeding Teppan as below.

Nov 1st-Nov 15th week 1, week 2, week 3
Nov 15th-Dec 1st week 4, week 5, week 6
Dec 1st-Dec 15th week 7, week 8, week 9
Dec 15th-Jan 1st week 10, week 11, week 12
Jan 1st-Jan 15th week 13, week 14 & 15
Jan 15th-Feb 1st week 16, week 17, week 18
Feb 1st-Feb 15th week 19, week 20, week 21
Feb 15th-Mar 1st week 22, week 23, week 24
Mar 1st-Mar 15th week 25, week 26 end, specials

inlovewithmaki

Postby inlovewithmaki » Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:54 am

Wow! You're awesome for doing an Asadora. I wish someone would sub Ume-chan Sensei.

Belthazar

Postby Belthazar » Thu Oct 31, 2013 6:35 am

Keiko1981 wrote:I will be seeding Teppan as below.

Thanks heaps for that. However, is there any chance you could be persuaded to move the specials further up the schedule? Since I (and a few others) have the whole series finished, we can help seed most of it, but there's noone with a complete copy of the specials, and next March is a long time to wait...

inlovewithmaki wrote:Wow! You're awesome for doing an Asadora.

Thanks, but I kinda picked it because I thought it'd be easier...

I wish someone would sub Ume-chan Sensei.

Maybe next? :P

Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Keiko1981 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 12:29 pm

Belthazar wrote:However, is there any chance you could be persuaded to move the specials further up the schedule? Since I (and a few others) have the whole series finished, we can help seed most of it, but there's noone with a complete copy of the specials, and next March is a long time to wait...

I will seed the specials batch only today (31st), I hope that some people will be able to complete it. The specials will be seeded in March next year as planned. Tomorrow I'll begin with Oshin 117-156 and the three first weeks of Teppan.

Belthazar

Postby Belthazar » Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:34 pm

Thank you. I managed to get it completed. :D

inlovewithmaki

Postby inlovewithmaki » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:16 pm

I wish someone would sub Ume-chan Sensei.

Belthazar wrote:Maybe next? :P

That would be sweet! I would love you forever! And I know a lot of Maki-lovers that feel the same way.

Belthazar

Postby Belthazar » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:48 am

I wouldn't hold my breath, though. Gonna take me a long time to finish Teppan. :)

Belthazar

Postby Belthazar » Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:24 am

Week two added! Been a while. Hopefully things should speed up as we start getting into the flow of things. Also, I've finished my coursework at uni now. :D

k361
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby k361 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:24 am

Thank you for the subs. I start with this drama now.
Please share your files after download. Thank you.
Behind every peer is a drama fan

ZemusDS

Postby ZemusDS » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:30 am

Thanks for weeks 1-2. It's so great that you are subbing this asadora.

Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Keiko1981 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:45 am

Thank you for week 2. :)

dhisashi

Postby dhisashi » Thu Nov 14, 2013 11:49 pm

inlovewithmaki wrote:I wish someone would sub Ume-chan Sensei.

Belthazar wrote:Maybe next? :P

That would be sweet! I would love you forever! And I know a lot of Maki-lovers that feel the same way.

+1 :D

That would be a very welcome set of subs. The time period covered during Ume-chan Sensei is always interesting to me. Plus I do like Maki.

:pray: . :pray:

purisu

Postby purisu » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:58 am

thanks for week 2! :)

j_halo7

Postby j_halo7 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 1:28 pm

Thank you for week 2.

fookie

Postby fookie » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:58 pm

Thank you for week 2, i love this asadora!

IMC

Postby IMC » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:53 am

Thanks so much!

superdevilgundam

Postby superdevilgundam » Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:34 am

amachan got me into watching asadoras so i am trying out other asadors. tried this show so far and am enjoying it.

thanks very much for the subs!

jpfn

Postby jpfn » Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:21 am

Great work so far! Thank you for subbing!

j_halo7

Postby j_halo7 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 2:17 pm

Belthazar wrote:Week two added! Been a while. Hopefully things should speed up as we start getting into the flow of things. Also, I've finished my coursework at uni now. :D

Hi, I'm not rushing you for subs or anything but I was wondering if you have any updates for us regarding the subs for the remaining weeks since it's been 2 months since we last heard from you. Is it you're busy with real life or something?

Belthazar

Postby Belthazar » Sat Jan 18, 2014 7:58 pm

Yep. November was busy, then December was full of holidays and Christmas. Sat down all ready to continue and my computer's main hard drive died. Fortunately all my Teppan stuff was on my external drive, but I've only just now been able to get going again...

Working on getting the next week done as fast as I can. There's nothing I hate more than having to wait weeks or months for the next episode of a series, and now I'm doing it to all of you. :glare:

P.S. Amachan was my first Asadora too. :)

kliesen11

Postby kliesen11 » Sat Jan 18, 2014 8:45 pm

Thanks for the update!

This is my second Asadora, first one is Gochisousan.
Both food dramas. :D
Transcribing is time consuming. :(

j_halo7

Postby j_halo7 » Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:54 am

Belthazar wrote:Yep. November was busy, then December was full of holidays and Christmas. Sat down all ready to continue and my computer's main hard drive died. Fortunately all my Teppan stuff was on my external drive, but I've only just now been able to get going again...

Working on getting the next week done as fast as I can. There's nothing I hate more than having to wait weeks or months for the next episode of a series, and now I'm doing it to all of you. :glare:

P.S. Amachan was my first Asadora too. :)

Thanks for the update! I'm glad your computer is ok now. I would hate to have my laptop's drive crash as I have so much videos on it.

occho

Postby occho » Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:06 am

wuaaa thanks for the sub :cheers: :cheers:

Belthazar

Postby Belthazar » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:41 am

Week three is done! Woo!

And maybe some time I'll actually get to the point where I can release things faster than a week of episodes per month. Or in this case, three months...

j_halo7 wrote:I would hate to have my laptop's drive crash as I have so much videos on it.

Yeah, funny you should say that...

Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Keiko1981 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:57 am

Thank you for week 3! :)

fookie

Postby fookie » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:38 pm

Thanks for week 3!

j_halo7

Postby j_halo7 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:41 pm

Thank you so much for week 3's subs!! :D

naokanzaki

Postby naokanzaki » Tue Feb 18, 2014 4:35 pm

Thanks for week 3 Belthazar, also good job with the first 2 weeks. :salut:

dhisashi

Postby dhisashi » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:04 pm

Belthazar wrote:Week three is done! Woo!
<big>

Thank you so much for continuing this project.
Miori Takimoto and the others do a really good job.
:D

Roninside

Postby Roninside » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:05 pm

Thank you!
Download Dramapedia and connect the D-Addicts forum & wiki from your iPhone and iPad!!
Request a #communityPromo code HERE!

Magboro

Postby Magboro » Thu Feb 20, 2014 12:14 pm

Thanks a lot for Week 3 :)

am00339

Postby am00339 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 3:39 am

thank you !

naokanzaki

Postby naokanzaki » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:39 am

Hopefully someone can help a few of us out with the week 3 torrent, I've been stuck at 99% for 4 days now and there's also at least 4 others who are trying to download it, here's the version we're trying to get: http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_89593.htm

Belthazar

Postby Belthazar » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:53 am

If noone's started seeding by the time I get home in a few hours, I'll do it then. One of the side-effects of having my hard drive die is that I no longer have the torrents sitting in my queue for me to keep an eye on. :-(

Murai82

Postby Murai82 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:54 am

Seeding week 3 right now! ;)

ZemusDS

Postby ZemusDS » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:41 am

Thanks for week 3 subs! :)

naokanzaki

Postby naokanzaki » Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:48 pm

Still hoping someone can help us with a reseed of week 3, there were 5 of us a few days ago but now there's 14 of us waiting, we're at 99%.
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewtopic_89593.htm

ZemusDS

Postby ZemusDS » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:45 pm

Try the 1280x720 instead. Most of the people in this thread don't have the lower resolution files.

Belthazar

Postby Belthazar » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:11 pm

Ah, yeah - didn't notice which files you were asking for, specifically. I've only got the 1280x720...

IMC

Postby IMC » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:56 pm

Thanks so much for these!

UsagiYojimbo
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Postby UsagiYojimbo » Wed Mar 05, 2014 5:25 pm

Arigatō!
ÁzsiaiFeliratok.hu | AvistaZ (AsiaTorrents) meghívók | MDL.info

naokanzaki

Postby naokanzaki » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:28 am

Belthazar wrote:Ah, yeah - didn't notice which files you were asking for, specifically. I've only got the 1280x720...

Thanks, will grab that size for future weeks, was surprised though that we were able to get up to 99% on the other version, that one seeder I think bailed on us.
Good job too with week 3, this had been the only drama/movie I hadn't watched of Miori's, she really is a fantastic actress. :cheers:

jpfn

Postby jpfn » Wed Mar 12, 2014 2:41 pm

Thanks for week 3!

IMC

Postby IMC » Wed Mar 12, 2014 7:09 pm

Thanks thanks thanks!

UsagiYojimbo
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Postby UsagiYojimbo » Thu Mar 13, 2014 5:36 am

As I do not have downloaded Week 26 yet, and Week 5 is stuck at 93%, I started to seed Weeks 1 to 4 and 6 to 25.
Hope this helps...

Edit:
All is 1280×720p...
ÁzsiaiFeliratok.hu | AvistaZ (AsiaTorrents) meghívók | MDL.info

Belthazar

Postby Belthazar » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:25 am

Trans-Stellar Space Lines would like to apologise to passengers for the continuing delay for the departure of this flight. We are currently awaiting the loading of our compliment of small, lemon-soaked paper napkins for your comfort, refreshment, and hygiene during the flight, which will be of two hours duration. Meanwhile we thank you for your patience. The cabin crew will shortly be serving coffee and biscuits… again.

Meanwhile, week four is done. :D

Keiko1981
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Postby Keiko1981 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:46 am

Thank you for week 4! ^^

ZemusDS

Postby ZemusDS » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:02 am

Thanks for more Miori. :salut:

Return to “Subtitles”