[Discussion] Tokyo Tower (2007)

Discuss Japanese drama series here.
_iris
Fansubber
Fansubber

[Discussion] Tokyo Tower (2007)

Post by _iris » Jan 30th, '07, 02:32

I didn't see this discussion in the list of threads, so I hope it's okay to open one.

Quite a touching drama, the end of the episodes makes me teary, on how much the mother is willing to sacrifice for the son. Sometimes it's a little hard to watch, because I could never imagine a son doing that, i.e. squandering money, especially when his mother is working so hard to support him.

FruitChaat

Post by FruitChaat » Jan 30th, '07, 02:38

i'm really enjoring this show as well, though it does make me feel sad whenever he starts to get really pathetic, i.e. quiting university, spending all his mom's money

i love the flashback from when he was younger and so attached to his mother, it's very cute.

i'm still confused about the father though, obviously his parents split up, but what does his father actually do? he isn't a yakuza is he? i thought he only hangs out with them.

lsqB

Post by lsqB » Jan 30th, '07, 03:08

Wow!
what timing...

I saw this last night on azn for the first time,
and I looked for a thread here but I couldn't find it.

then I go to mixi, and I find out I've gotten visited by a guy who goes by Maa-kun, and he also lives in Tokyo (no, it's not the same guy) but I mean like...what coincidence!!
and right after I wrote that, I come here to find a thread has been made!

anyways, I think this drama is okay. I can relate a lot to Maa-kun. (age, dream, past.)
It's not as great as I expected though.

but does anyone think...
Tokyo Tower is s symbol of dream for non-Tokyo people coming to Tokyo, just like
how the golden gate bridge is a symbol of dream for Asian immigrants coming to America?
They're both red/orange, they're both famous, and they're both visible.
The tokyo tower was built in the middle of the fast-paced and harsh city of Tokyo, while the bridge was built in the middle of the fast-paced and harsh waves of the SF bay.
at least that's what I was thinking as I watched the intro...

_iris
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by _iris » Jan 30th, '07, 05:35

but does anyone think...
Tokyo Tower is s symbol of dream for non-Tokyo people coming to Tokyo, just like
how the golden gate bridge is a symbol of dream for Asian immigrants coming to America?
They're both red/orange, they're both famous, and they're both visible.
The tokyo tower was built in the middle of the fast-paced and harsh city of Tokyo, while the bridge was built in the middle of the fast-paced and harsh waves of the SF bay.
at least that's what I was thinking as I watched the intro...
Sure, I can definitely see that. Maa-kun has such an idealised vision of Tokyo, where everyone can get rich quickly, and success comes at a snap of the fingers. He doesn't realise that he has to work for these things. In the second episode, he says he's like his friends (the smoking, mahjong playing ones), but the author tells him not to embarass himself by comparing him to his friends, because his friends are actually working very hard towards their dreams. Where as he's just wasting his time, sitting around, not working at all and relying on the money from his mother >.<

terence_hideyoshi

Post by terence_hideyoshi » Jan 30th, '07, 07:13

hmm... Is this a completed drama?

burninG

Post by burninG » Feb 2nd, '07, 07:06

I'm enjoying watching this drama so far (ep.4). The actor is ok.. thumbs up to the lady who plays Ma-kun's mom. She's incredible. I'm watching almost every popular dramas (lately HYD2) but I have to say, life related shows are the best.

fijiwater

Post by fijiwater » Feb 12th, '07, 00:02

i adore this drama :)

kittiekissies

Post by kittiekissies » Feb 12th, '07, 21:53

I've only seen one episode, but I'm already hooked!! And I love Hayami Mokomichi :wub:

The end of the episode made me teary :cry:

Ar_Yue

Post by Ar_Yue » Feb 13th, '07, 11:42

I thought this story was suppose to be slightly ranchy? Like the film is? Or have I been misled?

twl

Post by twl » Feb 15th, '07, 19:28

Just finished watching episode 6. I counldn't wait till the subs are out since i won't be around for the whole week! I really like the storyline of this drama!

By the way, any idea what is the title of the background song in episode 5, when Ma- kun and Manami is looking at the light of tokyo tower went off?

seasons

Post by seasons » Mar 27th, '07, 22:23

this is one of the best shows i have ever seen..i think i cried watching every episode...and for the last episode, I cried from beginning to end... :(

twl

Post by twl » Mar 29th, '07, 21:50

Of all the drama i watch this season, this is the best without doubt! In fact this drama is one of the best Jdrama i ever watch!!! Sadly, i think it is too painful to rewatch it! :( hehe

javinian

Post by javinian » Apr 1st, '07, 10:34

twl wrote:Of all the drama i watch this season, this is the best without doubt! In fact this drama is one of the best Jdrama i ever watch!!! Sadly, i think it is too painful to rewatch it! :( hehe
Same for me. This is a very subtle dorama about mother/son relationship. Not a very harsh tear jerker such as ichi rittoru no namida. It's all about subtility.

cantiara

Post by cantiara » Apr 4th, '07, 20:03

I find this drama very meaningful and inspiring. I love that the storyline focuses on Ma-kun and his Okan relationship, it is really meaningful indeed. I also agree with the previous poster: it's not a harsh tear jerker like 1 litre of tears, BUT, the subtlety of the story and strong performance by the actors really made me teary at the end of the show, and I can imagine that some don't even want to watch it twice hehe (in a positive way).

I also love the theme song, Tsubomi by Kobukuro, it suits the drama perfectly. I'm surprised there only are few posts in this thread. Does it only have little audience? Wow, I gotta say that those who haven't watched it really miss out one of the best and meaningful drama ever made.
I also think it is good that he didn't end up with the girl in the end.It is not cliché and It's more realistic that way.

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Apr 4th, '07, 20:12

wuah i am really surprised by the limited feedback / comment on this drama. I am finishing up eps 1 right now. I moved from China to US when i was 13. Watching this drama is liking history but only more meaningful and easier to understand in the parent's shoe. However I am looking forward to be disappointed by the outcome due to previous comments on the future eps. Nevertheless, this drama is far better than any love or relationship related story.

vilma42

Post by vilma42 » Apr 6th, '07, 00:48

I like this drama very much, it's a simple story about the love of a mother to his son, I cried in every episode, i'm very emotional that's why....

And the OST, everytime I hear Tsubomi, my eyes are always wet...

Popdog

Post by Popdog » Apr 6th, '07, 06:48

So far, this drama tops HYD2 for this year's bunch. I love it and yet, I am unable to watch it continuously. One episode a day is enough for me.

I have to prepare myself mentally to watch it to be honest. Unlike other dramas, I actually do NOT snack when I watch this (try imagine your tears soaking up your bag of chips and your runny nose dripping onto your cookies), and I make sure I have a bunch of tissue nearby.

This drama is definitely great. It's so painful yet so sweet. The final episode delivered a K.O. to me in terms of me tearing up. It was like wave after wave...merciless I tell you...merciless. I recommend you do not watch this with anyone. Alone and undisturbed in your room is the best...haha!

pwner4once

Post by pwner4once » Apr 7th, '07, 14:50

I just finished this drama and it feels like the drama hasn't ended yet. The final episode wasn't much of a finisher. I love this drama passionately from the start. It would be way better if Minami-chan actually went out with Ma-kun. But that's not what the point of the drama. Point is to show the hardship between a son and a mother going through life and success with the cost of time. I hope there will be a second season but what would it be focused on? :scratch:

Fishii

Post by Fishii » Apr 14th, '07, 01:00

kekeke~ i'm new to this forum! hajimemashite!

I loooved this drama... I actually cried more in this drama than I did in 1 litre of tears... I'm not sure why, but maybe it's because of the whole adapting to different things... and passing away of close relatives?

I agree that the end doesn't seem like an end! It makes me feel like it's not actually over yet. But yea, I also agree that maybe minami-chan not getting together with maa-kun was also a good thing. I mean it's not the point, right? but then the mother also wanted them to be together, so I can't decide!! ><

I hope more people watch this drama, though! it's so wonderfuuulllll

rixhyd

Post by rixhyd » Apr 23rd, '07, 04:55

pwner4once wrote:I just finished this drama and it feels like the drama hasn't ended yet. The final episode wasn't much of a finisher. I love this drama passionately from the start. It would be way better if Minami-chan actually went out with Ma-kun. But that's not what the point of the drama. Point is to show the hardship between a son and a mother going through life and success with the cost of time. I hope there will be a second season but what would it be focused on? :scratch:
that's because it's based on a true story and he's still living his life.
i think that the main char was an idiot for not marrying his girlfriend(still aren't married to this day)
This was the first movie/drama which has Ever made me cry, the breaking point was him opening that box full of money from his grandmother, which were all 10 yen from 昭和 33 年. cried.

rixhyd

Post by rixhyd » Apr 24th, '07, 23:24

isn't there a movie coming out?

adriansyc

Post by adriansyc » Apr 27th, '07, 13:21

this really a very touching drama do u all hv any idea where to get the Sekiyama Aika - Motherhood, Me & My Mom (Vocal Version) the lyrics?
this song really very nice

rixhyd

Post by rixhyd » Apr 27th, '07, 14:47

tsubomi-kokuburo

iLUVdram@

Post by iLUVdram@ » Oct 16th, '07, 01:12

Oh..oh..I'm new in this thread. Seems that no one came here since April 2007! I'm watching this drama right now! :-)

Until I began watching it (I just finished the 3d episode), like all of you :cry: it make me cry in each episode! :cry: But after, I felt so good!! I really enjoy this kind of simple life story!! The actors are so good! An the song suits very well to the drama!! I want it!

I hope that there will be a second season even though the ratings were not so high T__T :thumleft: Anyway, Tokyo Tower is such a good drama!
:thumright:

Simple_Insecurities

Post by Simple_Insecurities » Dec 8th, '07, 03:07

mm i watched this a bit ago.. I think this dorama indefinitely underrated. I can definitely relate to a lot of Ma-Kun's experiences and the way he is.. the way he responded to things.. and also the Mother.. just wow... she was so loving.. and forgiving and... I'm just in awe by her...

I think this is the only series, specially lately, that I've cried while watching almost every episode.... I actually didn't really cry during 1 litre of tears that much.. why?.. because I couldn't connect with the girl. don't get me wrong. I was sad.. I felt very heavy hearted while watching it.. but heavy tears?.. maybe @ the end.. I forgot.. >.<

When ma-kun was falling apart.. when he lost all hope.. I felt like I was falling apart. I felt like I had personally lost all hope.. but seeing him triumph through it all.. and learning from all his experiences just... makes me so.. happy and determined each time.

I personally think this is a very moving and motivating dorama.. I love it!!
and I'm definitely going to watch it again
I wish they'd translate his autobiography into English..

Shishou

Post by Shishou » Jan 22nd, '08, 18:36

Probably the saddest Jdrama ever. I agree with the above poster, even though I adore 1LoT and agree that it's very sad, Tokyo Tower is just 100x more emotional.

The actors are great, too. Great acting.

cute_angel

Post by cute_angel » Jan 26th, '08, 05:58

I'm currently watching this dorama!

Hayami Mokomichi is so gorgeous! :wub:

princess_jime

Post by princess_jime » Jan 28th, '08, 19:10

I saw this one in three go's, that is, like a marathon of Tokyo Tower for me, hehehehe, I just couldn't stop. It's that good.

Such a touching story of a mother's love. Okan was wonderful, every time she got teary-eyed or cried it killed me, specially because she was such a bright happy woman.

Ma-kun, it's amazing how well-told stories can transcend cultural barriers. I've met plenty of guys who are JUST LIKE ma-kun here in my country. Because single motherhood is fairly common now, and sometimes the boys get kinda spoiled (like ma-kun as a little kid), and it's great to see they can grow out of it and become worthy adults, like ma-kun, hehehehe.

He's just one of those people who only learn by their mistakes, and getting hit in the face by life's lessons; I feel that's one of the reasons why Okan was so proud of him in the end, I mean, she probably knew he'd hit rock bottom while alone in Tokyo, but still let him go (like any good mother would do), and seeing him getting so many good friends, a good job that he likes (that's so rare and precious), and his first romantic relationship, must have made her really happy. As it did.

I loved how ma-kun's friends became Okan's "children" too. And how minami-chan became her only daughter.

It's hard to move away. Be it from the country to a big city, from one country to another, out of your loving parents home and into a place of your own. But it's done, people do it everyday, everywhere. And it's great to hear those stories and relate to them.

I also liked how ma-kun and minami-chan ended up. It's very realistic. She was his first love, and he clearly wasn't ready for it (I mean, he couldn't even say it out loud); she also had to get her life together and make decisions of her own, that job she had, although good for her photographer career, was it more important than her own mum? I'm o.k. with the choice she made. And who knows what life might offer in the future? she's young and still could be a full-out photographer, just not in Tokyo... :D

And Oton... such an undependable guy... hehehehe... I soooooooooo totally relate to having that kind of father... (let's hope mine never reads this :sweat: ) It seemed to me that he wasn't a yakuza, or was trying to be legit, when he married Okan, but eventually gave into his bad habits again, putting and end to living together like a family with Okan and the chibi. But I was glad to see that he still cared for her, in his own special way.

All in all, a great story, a great dorama, awesome performances, and production. (Go mokomichi! I knew you could act! Yayyy!!!)

wail

Post by wail » Jul 11th, '08, 23:36

This is such a terrific dorama. It is not one bit enjoyable, it's so realistic and subtle but that makes it more resonating and hitting us harder. actually I have been dreading it yet wanting to watch it so bad for so long, but was too mentally weak, knowing I'll feel like what I'm going through now. There were scenes that gave me goosebumps like no other drama. Scenes that is so heartbreakingly realistic that I was too emotional and my head was spinning so bad to have tears.

Like PopDog, I can only watch it one ep a time. Actually my first 2 eps were almost a year ago. But it just hit too close to home with me living apart fr mom and her going through a health scare that this drama was like the worst nightmare giving me shivers.

I was watching it now as a healing process. I had been a Ma-kun to my mom and most heart wrenching thing about mom and child relationship esp when we r living apart is always that mix of longing and frustration. We missed them, but we're not used to them around anymore. Sad but true. There's a bond there, but as all the Ma-kuns in the world grow up and dash through the drastic stage of developin their own identities, chasin their own dreams in the whirlwind of our 20s, our mom whom we were attached to our hips when we're kids got sidelined, but the limitless love of our mom will never flatter... All our lives her role has been constant, but with the passage of time, we grow through drastic changes and we our pace of life just seldom allowed us to reminise....and that relationship just will evolve sooner or later when our roles of caretaker and dependant r switched.

This is such a well done drama, there r no scenes that r an excess, but it just echoed out all our emotions. It's like some great great but dreaded therapy sessions leaving me with a droning heavy heart.

Kazeyama

Post by Kazeyama » Jul 12th, '08, 02:49

I just watched this drama the past few days. After seeing Hayami Mokomichi in Zettai Kareshi, I looked up his TV credits and realized I had Tokyo Tower but never watched it. What a terribly sad but ultimately uplifting drama. Ma-kun was so irritating in the beginning, I almost stopped watching, but I’m glad I stuck with it. It was a little melodramatic, but I guess it was meant to be. I’m traveling to Tokyo this fall and this drama makes me want to see the real Tokyo Tower post haste!

[ XD ]

Post by [ XD ] » Jul 10th, '10, 13:26

So touching series, between a mother and her son T^T
it was boring in the beginning .. Like it <3