RECOMMENDED/FAVORITE KDRAMAS (ask for suggestions here)

Discuss Korean drama series here.
Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Apr 21st, '12, 00:57

Silverman wrote:
Sham26 wrote: Okey here's my request , is there any drama with a good sister's relationship ? siblings that are nice to each others , help each others...not like I am going to watch it now, but just add it to the list! :salut:
It's OK, Daddy's Girl - sisters
I'm Happy - brothers and sisters
The Sons of Sol Pharmacy House- brothers
Giant
Pick the Stars
Thank you !
[quoute="Ethelenn"]Damn, I think I need more Minki in my life. This or more wine today, can't decide.[/quote]
Yeah and thanks to that MV that you shared I want to see him more! I've his movie waitng for me !
*goes gutter*

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Apr 22nd, '12, 21:36

I'm looking for romantic dramas(not the sad ones), where the relationship slowly develops. What i mean is, that in almost all romcoms and romdramas i've watched so far, the leads develop feelings for each other and try not to show it or one of them doesn't admit the feelings or something among these lines..but then on the peak of the drama, the feelings and affectionate behavior literally explodes. It goes in most cases from 0 to 100 without any stages in between. In one scene they talk to each other, while they are 2 y apart, and then BAM, they are glued together and can't breath without the loved one and would die for them. The feelings develop through the drama, but in a lot of cases this development happens in a personal "bubble" without a real interaction between the lovers (in terms of a developing relationship).

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 22nd, '12, 22:02

2 End 9 Outs, City Hall, Attic Cat, History of the Salaryman, I Am Legend, The Vineyard Man, Partner, Breathless, Into the Sun, New tales of Gisaeng (long one), Romance Zero, Soulmate, Spotlight, Stars Falling From the Sky
Sorry can't remember more now...

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Apr 23rd, '12, 03:46

I finally watched Shut Up Flower Boy Band and loved it avoiding it because of the Flower Boy part of the title, so I was wondering is Flower Boy Ramen Shop good as well?

Issy

Post by Issy » Apr 23rd, '12, 05:13

Sajen16 wrote:I finally watched Shut Up Flower Boy Band and loved it avoiding it because of the Flower Boy part of the title, so I was wondering is Flower Boy Ramen Shop good as well?
I am avoiding SUFBB because of two reasons. The first and the most important one was because of FBRS. I know atleast 4-5 people who dropped the drama midway so i am not alone is saying it was rather painful experience to watch. The storyline is nothing special and full of cliche. I found both leads pretty annoying. I only could stand them for 10eps.

Oh! And second reason for avoiding was thinking I might not be the target audience for this show which can be the main reason for me dropping FBRS too. I guess I passed the age that admires flower boys and really want solid strong acting not just the look. :whistling:

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Apr 23rd, '12, 13:19

Issy wrote:
Sajen16 wrote:I finally watched Shut Up Flower Boy Band and loved it avoiding it because of the Flower Boy part of the title, so I was wondering is Flower Boy Ramen Shop good as well?
I am avoiding SUFBB because of two reasons. The first and the most important one was because of FBRS. I know atleast 4-5 people who dropped the drama midway so i am not alone is saying it was rather painful experience to watch. The storyline is nothing special and full of cliche. I found both leads pretty annoying. I only could stand them for 10eps.

Oh! And second reason for avoiding was thinking I might not be the target audience for this show which can be the main reason for me dropping FBRS too. I guess I passed the age that admires flower boys and really want solid strong acting not just the look. :whistling:
oh well as I'm both male and 26 I'm about as far from the target audience of SUFBB as you can get but I had heard good things about it and gave it a try. I was pleasantly surprised the plot's not the most original in the world but the boys friendship is palpable and the supporting casts acting is solid as well, so if you enjoy stories about friendship you should give it a try

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Apr 23rd, '12, 21:41

Age has nothing to do with that, it's either you love that kind of dramas or not ,that wasn't and still not my cup of tea !
Silverman wrote: I'm looking for romantic dramas(not the sad ones), where the relationship slowly develops.
Well I can understand that, you have 16 episodes and you have to put in them romance, the ex-lovers, the evil parents, the terminal illness,the break-up, after 2 years...
If I remember well :Goodbye Solo, Wonderful Life, Shining Inheritance,Last Scandal also have this slow vibe but almost all the long dramas have that!

seirin
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by seirin » Apr 24th, '12, 00:10

Silverman wrote:I'm looking for romantic dramas(not the sad ones), where the relationship slowly develops.
Have you tried Feast of the Gods? I'm at ep 24 and I'm still waiting but there seems to be a glimmer of hope. Well, I'm not sure if he's lead or second lead. If it were up to me, he should be lead and seems most netizens think so too.

mugiwarrra

Post by mugiwarrra » Apr 24th, '12, 12:33

i'm looking for some good finished dramas to watch . for several reasons i drop a lot of dramas these days (became boring after couple eps or the cheesiness or ...)
last drama i liked was history of salaryman
also liked giant(best drama so far) , new tales of giseang ,that fool, assorted gems ,family honor,creating destiny

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Apr 24th, '12, 20:42

thank you @ Ethlenn, Seirin and Sham26. I will try FoG and a few others you recommended.
What i had in mind was a slow development of the relationship and not just the feelings. While it's true, that the feelings for themselves develop gradually and slowly through the story of almost every rom drama, but the "outer relationship" develops very fast. So at first the couple fights, then they starting to like each other, but fight for appearance and not showing each other, that they actually like each other, then they help each other, but still don't show that they like the other lead, then they confess their feelings and then they basically at the stage they want to marry and die for the other partner. Without proper dating in between and a development of feelings while they are together as bf and gf. In most dramas, if they begin to date, then their feelings are already at the peak of the development and they know, that they will marry. I hoe it was a better explanation of what i had in mind.^^

Shining inheritance, That Fool and Wonderful Life are the kind of dramas i had in mind (or at least that direction).

Lludara

Post by Lludara » Apr 29th, '12, 20:04

Silverman wrote:thank you @ Ethlenn, Seirin and Sham26. I will try FoG and a few others you recommended.
What i had in mind was a slow development of the relationship and not just the feelings. While it's true, that the feelings for themselves develop gradually and slowly through the story of almost every rom drama, but the "outer relationship" develops very fast. So at first the couple fights, then they starting to like each other, but fight for appearance and not showing each other, that they actually like each other, then they help each other, but still don't show that they like the other lead, then they confess their feelings and then they basically at the stage they want to marry and die for the other partner. Without proper dating in between and a development of feelings while they are together as bf and gf. In most dramas, if they begin to date, then their feelings are already at the peak of the development and they know, that they will marry. I hoe it was a better explanation of what i had in mind.^^

Shining inheritance, That Fool and Wonderful Life are the kind of dramas i had in mind (or at least that direction).

You may enjoy The King 2 hearts (It has Lee Seung Ki from Shining Inheritance) and Han Ji Won from Secret garden...It's only to episode 12 currently, but I watched them in 2 days after watching Shining Inheritance and wanting to see more of his dramas. I feel that their relationship develops slowly like what you're looking for. It has 3 more weeks till it's finished though.

tempid

Post by tempid » May 1st, '12, 10:55

I finished watching "Secret Garden", "Coffee Prince" and "City Hunter" in 2 weeks.
I loved "secret Garden" and "City Hunter" but a not a big fan of "Coffee Prince".

I like romantic comedies where usually couples fight even though they like each other. Similar to "Secret Garden" and "City Hunter" couple fights... It was cute. :-)

Based on this please recommend me some Korean dramas not older than 2010.

kirtil
Turkey

Post by kirtil » May 1st, '12, 15:26

tempid wrote:I finished watching "Secret Garden", "Coffee Prince" and "City Hunter" in 2 weeks.
I loved "secret Garden" and "City Hunter" but a not a big fan of "Coffee Prince".

I like romantic comedies where usually couples fight even though they like each other. Similar to "Secret Garden" and "City Hunter" couple fights... It was cute. :-)

Havent watched city hunter but based on your description I'd recommend you to check out Wild Romance.

tempid

Post by tempid » May 2nd, '12, 05:14

kirtil wrote:
tempid wrote:I finished watching "Secret Garden", "Coffee Prince" and "City Hunter" in 2 weeks.

Havent watched city hunter but based on your description I'd recommend you to check out Wild Romance.
Thanks Kirtil, I'll check it out.

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » May 6th, '12, 05:07

I just watched the first episode of White Christmas and I liked it but I have a couple questions,

first did they really just kill the only female in the first episode? three of the guys are young actors I like also the teacher, but who wants to watch something with just men, no matter how talented the actors no matter how great the story it's boring

second is the story traditional mindless horror or is it more like Soul or Silence of the Lambs that asks a question of the audience?

is the killer the psychologist? i mean what the narrator said about opening the gates to let the monster in and the girl killing herself right after talking to him implies that it's the psychologist

Silverman

Post by Silverman » May 8th, '12, 19:50

In the last few months i didn't have the time to keep up with the dramas and except for Rooftop Prince, Dummy Mommy, Operation Proposal and K2H i have no idea which dramas are there. Can somebody list them(the last 3-4 months)? I know you can see some of them on he main page and in the thread which we have here, but i doubt they list all TRANSLATED dramas. For example i saw someone mention about a fairy-drama a.s.o.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 8th, '12, 20:43

Can Love Become Money
Dummy Mommy
Fashion King
Feast of the Gods
Glowing She
K-pop Extreme Survival
Love Rain
Queen In Hyun's Man
Rooftop Prince
The Equator Man
The King 2Hearts
Twelve Men In A Year
Unexpected You
I Need Fairy
Bachelor's Vegetable Store
Lights and Shadows
Brain
Syndrome
Color of Woman
Dream High 2
History of a Salaryman
Take Care of Us Captain
Operation Proposal
Mushin (taeha)
Hanbando
Salamander Guru and the Gang
Wild Romance
Shut Up Flower Boy Band
The Wedding Scheme
Hight Kick 3

I guess I forgot some.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » May 8th, '12, 21:58

Thanks. I will look some of them up. If someone knows other dramas, which weren't mentioned, then pleas do so.

Lludara

Post by Lludara » May 8th, '12, 23:07

There's Vampire Prosecutor as well.

rootabega

Post by rootabega » May 10th, '12, 01:53

Chuno a.k.a. Slave Hunters is my all-time favourite k-drama.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » May 10th, '12, 22:29

A while ago i watched the drama "Romanze Zero" and it was fun. I'm just wondering, why such a drama isn't mentioned. Yes, not all the actors are A-list-actors, but still. It's an episodic drama with 16 different stories (more or less 16). And most of them are enjoyable. It's about a team of couplemakers and in each episode they bring different couples together. Well there are also lovestories from the maincast, but they are more or less "sidestories".

chikha

Post by chikha » May 11th, '12, 17:00

Can you recommend any good period dramas? What I mean the one that is addictive to watch :D What I have seen so far are QSD, DJG, Dong Yi, Yi San, Chuno, Iljimae, SKKS.

And also does anyone have seen Fermentation Family is this worth watching?

Silverman

Post by Silverman » May 11th, '12, 17:58

-Hong Gil Dong is not bad
-Return of Illjimae is also watchable
-Revenge of Gumiho
-Jeoson X-Files(ok there you have to like the cam)
-Princess Man : although i hate the female lead's character-not the actress- it's overall a good drama
-Tree with Deep Roots is also good

kenshihimura

Post by kenshihimura » May 20th, '12, 15:51

Chasing after rooftop prince now...looks like it's ending soon.I was choosing King 2 Hearts too but got bored in the middle =/ Downloading fashion king now.Any other current great kdrama that I am missing? :)

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 20th, '12, 16:05

kenshihimura wrote:Chasing after rooftop prince now...looks like it's ending soon.I was choosing King 2 Hearts too but got bored in the middle =/ Downloading fashion king now.Any other current great kdrama that I am missing? :)
Queen In-hyun's Man? :mrgreen: :cheers:

kenshihimura

Post by kenshihimura » May 21st, '12, 09:46

Ah,thanks for the suggestion.Let me go download few episodes and see whether it suits my taste :D

kenshihimura

Post by kenshihimura » May 27th, '12, 02:56

Oh!Queen In-hyun's Man is really nice!Thank you to Ethlenn for the recommendation! :) Any other current dramas I should watch?

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 27th, '12, 18:42

kenshihimura wrote:Oh!Queen In-hyun's Man is really nice!Thank you to Ethlenn for the recommendation! :) Any other current dramas I should watch?
It's not current but maybe Once Upon a Time in Saengchori?

kenshihimura

Post by kenshihimura » May 28th, '12, 09:59

Ethlenn wrote:
kenshihimura wrote:Oh!Queen In-hyun's Man is really nice!Thank you to Ethlenn for the recommendation! :) Any other current dramas I should watch?
Ok,will go download and watch the first episode :D Got other recommendations? :P

EDIT:Kinda hard to download old kdramas lately since many file sharing host has been blocked >< So if possible,I would like current kdramas since it's easier to get :D

KimKas

Post by KimKas » May 28th, '12, 10:10

Best sageuk : Tree with Deep Roots. This drama ruined me emotionally. The Princess' Man is pretty awesome too.

Romcom : Greatest Love and My Girlfriend is a Gumiho are fabulous (Shin Min Ah especially).

Action : City Hunter is magnificient, badass, and ruined me emotionally in its own way.

kenshihimura

Post by kenshihimura » May 28th, '12, 10:20

KimKas wrote:Best sageuk : Tree with Deep Roots. This drama ruined me emotionally. The Princess' Man is pretty awesome too.

Romcom : Greatest Love and My Girlfriend is a Gumiho are fabulous (Shin Min Ah especially).

Action : City Hunter is magnificient, badass, and ruined me emotionally in its own way.
City Hunter watch adi.It gets boring towards the end.My Girlfriend is a Gumiho also watch adi :D

I will try Tree with Deep Roots and The Princess' Man.

EDIT:Stream both of them just now..not really my cup of tea :lol I prefer romance-comedy :P

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 28th, '12, 12:42

kenshihimura wrote: Ok,will go download and watch the first episode. Got other recommendations?
Gentleman's Dignity. It's funny, smart and not teenage problems. Well, there are some troublemakers highschoolers there, but...

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » May 28th, '12, 13:06

Ethlenn wrote:
This drama is so underrated,so sad, becaause it's a good drama ,it has romance,comedy, mystery!I laughed myself silly while watching most of the episodes, you can find the episodes subbed on dailymotion! I think this drama is worth a try!

What about "Wild romance"? it's a recent one, well written with a good acting! :salut:

kenshihimura

Post by kenshihimura » May 28th, '12, 13:48

Sham26 wrote:
Ethlenn wrote:
This drama is so underrated,so sad, becaause it's a good drama ,it has romance,comedy, mystery!I laughed myself silly while watching most of the episodes, you can find the episodes subbed on dailymotion! I think this drama is worth a try!

What about "Wild romance"? it's a recent one, well written with a good acting! :salut:
Hmm I will go take a good look at Once Upon a Time in Saengchori since u highly recommended it :D Eh btw,ur signature...it's Queen Inhyun's Man right??? :lol

kenshihimura

Post by kenshihimura » May 28th, '12, 13:49

Ethlenn wrote:
kenshihimura wrote: Ok,will go download and watch the first episode. Got other recommendations?
Gentleman's Dignity. It's funny, smart and not teenage problems. Well, there are some troublemakers highschoolers there, but...
Oh!I heard it's quite nice.Okay okay will go take a look now.Thx for the recommendation! :lol U guys are really helpful! :lol

EDIT:Eh guys if u dont mind,where to download Once Upon a Time in Saengchori?

EDIT 2:Haha found it in this forum :P

moadeep

Dramas for a Korean class

Post by moadeep » May 29th, '12, 21:56

So, the teacher who will be teaching Korean to me this fall asked me for drama suggestions to show the class and I kind of drew a blank. She wants dramas that have kind of "normal", "day to day" type of dialogue and that both guys and girls will watch.

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » May 30th, '12, 20:10

kenshihimura wrote: Hmm I will go take a good look at Once Upon a Time in Saengchori since u highly recommended it :D Eh btw,ur signature...it's Queen Inhyun's Man right??? :lol
Hope you'll like it , yeah, it's my fav at the moment :salut:
moadeep wrote:So, the teacher who will be teaching Korean to me this fall asked me for drama suggestions to show the class and I kind of drew a blank. She wants dramas that have kind of "normal", "day to day" type of dialogue and that both guys and girls will watch.
One of my friend is taking Korean class and told me that sometime they watch "high kick through the roof", I think sitcoms are much more convenient than dramas."Hello Franceska" is quite old but it's funny and I think both genders can watch it ,but I dunno if you can find any seeders! Good luck :cheers:

moadeep

Post by moadeep » May 31st, '12, 16:15

He. High Kick was the first thing I thought of too! I have Hello Franceska, but I'm thinking she wants more "normal" situations...

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jun 2nd, '12, 19:04

I'm looking for "light", but not wacky dramas. What i have in mind are dramas, where

-people don't die(ok, dead parents or bf, who died prior the drama are ok)
-no conspiracies on a global scale (like f.e. the half brother wants to take over the company an lies, cheats and murders to get this). But there can be some light conspiracies on a personal level, like in My Love Pazzi
-but also not wacky, like High Kick through the roof. It can be a comedy, but not sitcom-style
-the genre doesn't matter

rcaladlr

Post by rcaladlr » Jun 8th, '12, 04:34

^ I'm Looking for something similar.

Hi,

I'm new to K Dramas, I'm looking mostly for romantic comedies. Also comedies in General.

Thank you.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jun 8th, '12, 11:01

rcaladlr wrote:^ I'm Looking for something similar.

Hi,

I'm new to K Dramas, I'm looking mostly for romantic comedies. Also comedies in General.

Thank you.
I give you a few romcom-recommendations with a few popular dramas:

Secret Garden-Bodyswitch-romcom, but the switch happens a little bit late

My Girlfriend is a Nine-taled Fox - also a fantasy-romcom about a ninetaled fox(Gumiho)...go figure

That Fool - I also like this one and so do almost all people, who watched this...never heard anything bad about it

Fantasy Couple/Couple of Trouble - it's a kdrama remake of Bird on a Wire (Mel Gibson and Goldie Hawn). A lot of people like it and some don't

Oh! My Lady - i like this one, but for some people it's not so great, because it's a drama with a very common plot

The Greatest Love - one of the newer dramas

Protect the Boss - this drama is cute in many ways

Sungkyunkwan Scandal - a historical-romcom with a girl, who poses as a guy

Coffee Prince - with YEH and GY as mainleads...just great

This should be enough to try a few dramas^^.

Sajen16

Post by Sajen16 » Jun 11th, '12, 16:46

Flowers for Algernon is one of my favorite short stories ever so I've started watching Hello, God which is apparently based on Flowers for Algernon my question is, is it any good and how faithful is it?

molya

Post by molya » Jun 14th, '12, 20:46

Is there any place where i can watch or download feast of the gods?? I cant access any torrent site(thanks to my country's policy). I've looked everywhere. Coudn't find any link :(

kuma601

Post by kuma601 » Jun 16th, '12, 04:37

Additionally in order of my preference:
Lie to Me
Prosecutor Princess
Personal Taste
These were on the lighter romantic side. Of course these all have some moments that will make you :crazy: but overall these are pretty fun. The bad guy/gal plays the role so well you feel for the characters so in that regard :thumleft:

My Girlfriend is a Gumiho and Greatest Love are :cheers:

Romance Town and Man of Honor had moments of funny but they weave between serious, romance, conspiracy that some episodes got the blood pressure up.
Last edited by kuma601 on Jun 18th, '12, 19:25, edited 1 time in total.

rcaladlr

Post by rcaladlr » Jun 16th, '12, 06:16

Silverman wrote:

Hi,

Thank you.

My Girlfriend is a Nine-taled Fox - also a fantasy-romcom about a ninetaled fox(Gumiho)...go figure

That Fool - I also like this one and so do almost all people, who watched this...never heard anything bad about it

Fantasy Couple/Couple of Trouble - it's a kdrama remake of Bird on a Wire (Mel Gibson and Goldie Hawn). A lot of people like it and some don't

Oh! My Lady - i like this one, but for some people it's not so great, because it's a drama with a very common plot

Thank you very much. I'll check them out.

Yul

Post by Yul » Jun 18th, '12, 17:52

Hello guy's..............am looking for a recommendation for a drama :D

I just finished rooftop prince............really loved it, romance + comedy / hilarious + new storyline :wub:

Before that I watched love rain & bachelor vegetable store.

Most what recommended in previous post, I already watched.

So am looking for smth sweet, romantic, funny and good storyline

Thanks in advance :salut:

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jun 18th, '12, 20:37

Yul wrote:Hello guy's..............am looking for a recommendation for a drama :D

I just finished rooftop prince............really loved it, romance + comedy / hilarious + new storyline :wub:

Before that I watched love rain & bachelor vegetable store.

Most what recommended in previous post, I already watched.

So am looking for smth sweet, romantic, funny and good storyline

Thanks in advance :salut:
Good storyline in a kdrama? And that in a romcom? There are very few, which all people consider good. But i'll give it a try.

Harvest Villa - this drama has it all: romance, sweetness, comedy and suspense
Pick the Stars
Romance Zero - an episodic drama with an overall plot going on. This is about a dating-agency. Each episode has a new small story. But there is also a storyline about the couple-makers and their love life. Overall a fun drama, where at least some episodes are good.
Thank You

If you don't mind "older" dramas(2003-2005):
Sweet Buns
Hello My Teacher

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 18th, '12, 21:00

Silverman wrote: Thank You
Rom-com? It has a good storyline and strong acting, but that is NOT a fluffy nice rom-com, don't let Silverman fool you :mrgreen:

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jun 18th, '12, 22:21

Right it's not fluffy^^. I have an excel-sheet with all dramas we've watched and "rated" and this one was relatively high on my list and i copy/pasted it^^). But it's nevertheless a touching drama.

Issy

Post by Issy » Jun 18th, '12, 22:28

Silverman wrote: Harvest Villa - this drama has it all: romance, sweetness, comedy and suspense
and I always wondered why this drama has comedy written as its genre. There was very few funny moments at beginning but It's certainly no comedy show. sometime it was even on the dark side. Nonetheless, It's one of best dramas I have seen so far.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jun 18th, '12, 23:13

Yes, but a lot of romcoms tend to go to the "dark side" at one time.

Greatest Love
Although it's overall fluffy, it tends to be dark, because of prejudice, then the heart-illness and the angst, that the next few minutes could be their last moments together, teenage-pregnancy, miscarriage
Pick the stars
Also a lot of funny and fluffy moments, but there are also the death of the parents in the beginning, homeless children, greedy and murderous villain, a hitman, a hostess, who sells her child, a baby with a deadly illness...
Rooftop Prince
Assassination, cruel children, lonely life a.s.o.
Secret Garden
My GF is a Gumiho
SKKS

Overall a lot of them tend to lose the comedy part in the end. Although HV has lost the pure romcom-part early and later is more suspense with comedy in between.[/spoiler]

kirtil
Turkey

Post by kirtil » Jun 19th, '12, 06:28

I whole heartedly recommend you to try Thank You and The Greatest Love.

First one is sad and beautiful.
Second one is sweet/fun and beautiful. I like how the story is told in this one.

kenshihimura

Post by kenshihimura » Jun 19th, '12, 10:04

Hmm any idea where to download The Greatest Love?The link found here is in Spanish =/

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 19th, '12, 13:14

You sure you know how to use D-Addicts? :scratch:
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/torrents ... _RAW&sort=

Yul

Post by Yul » Jun 19th, '12, 19:07

Silverman wrote:
Good storyline in a kdrama? And that in a romcom? There are very few, which all people consider good. But i'll give it a try.

Harvest Villa - this drama has it all: romance, sweetness, comedy and suspense
Pick the Stars
Romance Zero - an episodic drama with an overall plot going on. This is about a dating-agency. Each episode has a new small story. But there is also a storyline about the couple-makers and their love life. Overall a fun drama, where at least some episodes are good.
Thank You

If you don't mind "older" dramas(2003-2005):
Sweet Buns
Hello My Teacher

Thank you Silverman.............I already watched everything you recommend except Harvest villa.........Am gona gona watch it next :-)

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jun 19th, '12, 19:43

Damn, you know them all, then i'll give it another try^^:

Great Inheritance - Kim Jae Won + Han Ji Min(Rooftop Prince, Padam Padam)

Merry Mary - not to confuse with MMM. Although i hated the character of the female lead at first, i came to like it later on.

The Man Who can't get married- although i doubt it, that you don't know this one, because every single person in the whole world, who likes kdramas and watched more than one or two has watched this one

Ms. Kim makes a million/Ms. Kim's 1 Million Dollar Quest - the male lead s the same guy as in TMWCGM

Thirty Thousand Miles in Search of My Son - I really like this one. It had relatively good ratings, but somehow moi is the only person, who ever mentioned ths drama in this forum^^.

Romance (2002) with Kim Ha Neul and Kim Jae Won. Not the greatest work of these 2 actors, but it's still worth watching(IMHO).

My Fair Lady - yea... don't know what to do with this one. It has great parts, but also some bad parts. But it has also Kim Hee Sun in it (imo one of the most beautiful korean actresses).

The dramas i listed may be not the greatest dramas ever filmed, but are still good.

moadeep

Post by moadeep » Jun 19th, '12, 19:48

Silverman wrote: The Man Who can't get married- although i doubt it, that you don't know this one, because every single person in the whole world, who likes kdramas and watched more than one or two has watched this one

Ms. Kim makes a million/Ms. Kim's 1 Million Dollar Quest - the male lead s the same guy as in TMWCGM.
I have not seen TMWCGM :P Just sayin'. Also, I've tried to watch miss kim, but am having trouble finding raws (found subs) or a streaming site that has it.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jun 19th, '12, 20:22

moadeep wrote:
Silverman wrote: The Man Who can't get married- although i doubt it, that you don't know this one, because every single person in the whole world, who likes kdramas and watched more than one or two has watched this one

Ms. Kim makes a million/Ms. Kim's 1 Million Dollar Quest - the male lead s the same guy as in TMWCGM.
I have not seen TMWCGM :P Just sayin'. Also, I've tried to watch miss kim, but am having trouble finding raws (found subs) or a streaming site that has it.
Exceptions prove the rule. :D And i PMed a page with the drama.

moadeep

Post by moadeep » Jun 19th, '12, 21:14

Silverman wrote:
moadeep wrote:

I've never understood that phrase, and I'm a native speaker of the english language...How can an exception prove a rule? :P

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jun 20th, '12, 01:18

moadeep wrote:
Silverman wrote:
moadeep wrote:
I've never understood that phrase, and I'm a native speaker of the english language...How can an exception prove a rule? :P
Funny thing is, that this phrase exists in all languages i know(and i speak 6). But just to be sure, you don't expect an answer/explanation of this phrase? You have to know, that i have OCD for questions. If someone asks a question, even if it's rhetoric, then i have to answer (or i can't spleep), even if it brings me trouble.^^ but then again it has benefits in my occupation to have such an OCD^^.

jubies33

Post by jubies33 » Jun 25th, '12, 05:36

Silverman wrote:

Hi,

Thank you.

sorry to be picky but I believe fantasy couple was a remake of overboard with Goldie Hawn and Kurt Russel. Bird on a Wire is a different movie also with Goldie Hawn but with Mel Gibson as leading man. I have seen Overboard so many times its hard for me not to comment.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jun 25th, '12, 09:17

It's not being picky, it's called stating a fact. Yes you are right, i confused these 2. I had the right film and actors in mind, but the wrong name. And as i googled the name, the first page stated, that t was GH and MG, so i changed KR in MG afterwards, because i was so sure, that this was the movie i looked for.

btw. jubie, where does your avatar come from?

jubies33

Post by jubies33 » Jun 25th, '12, 17:03

silverman I pmd you the link

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jun 25th, '12, 18:38

Thank you.

Keikan

Post by Keikan » Jun 27th, '12, 12:50

I stopped watching K-dramas over six months ago so I'm really not up-to-date and I'd love some recommendations. I recently watched "Rooftop Prince" which I think I liked overall because of its interesting theme of reincarnation (although I was really disappointed that the comedy was replaced half-way through with soapiness). Basically I'd love a drama that does not take itself too seriously. I don't mind whether it's sad or funny, but something I really can't stand is melodramatic soapiness (such or such plotting against such or such for no apparent reason, and all the characters acting like it's the end of the world until they finally/easily manage to find a solution....10 episodes later!). I also really dislike dramas solely centered on "A loves B, but B loves C who loves both B and A". I like for there to be an actual story that remains the main focus of the drama, without the love-story completely taking everything over (unless it's a romantic drama of course), which was my biggest pet-peeve with Rooftop Prince recently. If it's a sad drama, I'd love for it to be meaningful and to make me think (like "Scent of a Woman" did). If it's a comedy or a romcom drama, I'd love for it to make me smile and laugh the whole way through (like "Hotaru no Hikari" did). Something addictive would be great too.

By the way, one of my friends recommended me to watch "King 2 Hearts". Is it any good?

Thanks in advance! :)

jubies33

Post by jubies33 » Jun 27th, '12, 16:36

King 2 hearts I liked just a bit at first but gave up on it halfway through. Not for me. I really liked Protect the Boss. A very light, fun drama that did not take itself seriously. I haven't seen That Fool yet ( i know i know but it is on my list) but I have heard that is a good one.

One of my favorites is History of a Salaryman. Insanely hilarious to me. This one has it all and great acting to boot. Some others I have liked recently are twelve men in a year and wild romance.

Right now I am watching A Gentleman's Dignity, I Do I Do and I Need Romance 2012 all of which I am enjoying. Hope this helps.

Keikan

Post by Keikan » Jun 28th, '12, 12:06

That's really helpful thanks! I watched Protect The Boss before starting my drama hiatus and I liked it. Thanks for reminding me about Wild Romance! I remember I was planning to watch it a while ago because I like Lee Dong Wook as an actor and completely forgot about it. I heard it's quite funny. Does it stay interesting until the end?

I'll add the other dramas you mentioned on my list as well. I'll let you know what I thought of them! :)

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jun 28th, '12, 21:20

Keikan wrote:That's really helpful thanks! I watched Protect The Boss before starting my drama hiatus and I liked it. Thanks for reminding me about Wild Romance! I remember I was planning to watch it a while ago because I like Lee Dong Wook as an actor and completely forgot about it. I heard it's quite funny. Does it stay interesting until the end?
It stays interesting. I had just 2 problems with this drama. It's a suspense romcom, but the criminal is revealed (to the audience) very early (6-7 episodes in...but i'm not sure). Well,, if you are not braindead, then you can limit the number of suspects after the first criminal act to 2 or 3 possible people and if you think for 2 seconds, then you can pretty much guess, who the "evil mastermind" is. So the whole investigation done by the characters is not very exciting and rather pointless (for the viewer). So from the suspense pov, it's a letdown. But from the romcom pov it's still a interesting drama.

Sham26

Post by Sham26 » Jun 28th, '12, 21:51

I guess I am braindead !

kuma601

Post by kuma601 » Jun 28th, '12, 22:46

Wild Romance is on my list. Having 16 eps and the evil doer figured out, I can foresee lots of yelling at the TV,"It's him...don't do that!!!" Ahhhhh.... :crazy: :D

Finishing up Protect the Boss. At ep 14 currently and to me, this didn't come around till ep10 or so. Seemed drawn out.

Silverman

Post by Silverman » Jun 28th, '12, 23:02

Well, perhaps i watched too many detective movies and know to many books of this kind^^.

But here is how you basically can guess the criminal in a lot of movies/dramas (i just want to show, that it's not magic or some tricky thing):
1. First of all in movies and books, the criminal is always one of the characters, who are shown more than just once or twice. So in the case of WR, there are ~10-15 of such characters+the teammates. So these are all possible suspects. True, it's not always the case, but in 80% (there are also cases, where are Jack the Ripper-like criminals, who are not revealed, even after the ending).
2. If there is one "main victim", then
a) then you can be sure, that the description 1. is true.
b)the criminal is one of the characters, who are close to the victim (friends, family, colleagues, employees, employer). So u can basically exclude all the characters, who had nothing to do with the victim prior the story.
In the case of WR you can exclude the female lead, her father, her brother, her friend and her boss, well and also the victim. This leaves Jin Dong Soo + wife(+child...well unlikely^^), the manager, the ahjuma, the reporter, the ex-gf and the teammates.

So now comes the guesswork, where you can make the most mistakes. Until now it's more or less pure reasoning.
3. In a lot of detective movies you can exclude the characters, who seem too guilty from the beginning and have in the beginning the strongest motive. These are in most cases red herrings.
In case of WR you can scratch Jin Dong Soo and the reporter. That leaves the ahjuma, ex-gf, Jin Dong Soo's wife, the manager and the teammates.
4. You take the crime and think, who couldn't possible (or unlikely) do this.
After the soup-incident you can exclude the ex-gf, because she couldn't do this without being noticed. Also the wife is unlikely, since a woman would be noticed in this environment (ok she could have visited her husband...but she would still be noticed, well or visit the victim at home). She is still a possible criminal, but an unlikely. The teammates are too "bland" in this drama, so it's also unlikely, that it was one of them. So this leaves just the manager and the ahjuma as the most likely suspects.

5. At this point you have to watch out for possible backdoors and the background-stories of the characters (well not in WR, but in general). You have to look, if the writer introduced some accidents, familydeaths or some surprising connections of the victim and some other character, who seemingly had nothing to do with the victim (on the surface). These could be red herrings but also the solution for the crime.

True, with these reasonings you can't solve every drama/book, but in most of the simpler crime-movies/books it hits the spot right away. The good books and movies will avoid the points i wrote and let the reader/viewer guess till the end (but also provide hints, without being too obvious).

kuma601

Post by kuma601 » Jun 29th, '12, 01:50

I can leave my brain out and enjoy. :lol

I previewed Cinderella Man, looks interesting But because the subs I've come across aren't complete, it is on hold.

jubies33

Post by jubies33 » Jun 29th, '12, 01:52

As for Wild Romance well, yeah I had a hunch fairly early on although I wasn't sure until later but I though it was still entertaining and funny. I actually liked the secondary characters the lawyer and the landlady even more than the main leads(although I liked them too of course) but I had a lot of laughs watching them.

Craving for a good period drama. Anyone care to drop me a recommendation? I don't mind if it's sageuk or taeha. I don't care if romance is secondary to the plot. If it has a fitting ending and decent acting I will be happy. Good ost would be a plus. Ones I have already seen are The Princess' Man, Chuno, SKKS, Secret Investigation Record and Tamra the Island all of which I thought were good in their own way. I liked Moon That Embraces The Sun a lot less than these with the exception of the first few episodes which I LOVED.

Peggy

Post by Peggy » Jul 1st, '12, 19:55

Silverman,
How can you possibly enjoy a drama if all the time in every scene you are being a detective looking at details to find out who is the Bad guy?
I watched and enjoyed Wild Romance and allowed the drama to unfold and I had my opinions re who was doing the bad stuff, and it was much easier to watch, for me, than if I had been dissecting every word or movement.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jul 1st, '12, 20:02

Peggy wrote:Silverman,
How can you possibly enjoy a drama if all the time in every scene you are being a detective looking at details to find out who is the Bad guy?
I watched and enjoyed Wild Romance and allowed the drama to unfold and I had my opinions re who was doing the bad stuff, and it was much easier to watch, for me, than if I had been dissecting every word or movement.
Exactly. :mrgreen:
If I want philosophy I read Kierkegaard, I don't dissect every drama. If I drop every drama because there is one small detail that doesn't sit with me, I wouldn't finish even one. Of course it may signify I'm just a dumb little girl who can't watch dramas properly on few layers of its ontology. I can take it.