Recommended C-Dramas (Ask for suggestions here)

Discuss chinese drama series here.
JadedAngel

Recommended C-Dramas (Ask for suggestions here)

Post by JadedAngel » Mar 10th, '05, 02:39

Recommend your favorite Chinese Dramas and/or look for recommended Cdramas here.
Future threads requesting recommendations will be merged.
Thanks.

J-Drama recommendations topic
J-Movie recommendations
K-Drama recommendations topic
Korean Variety Shows recommendations

Need help to identify a C-Drama / HK-Drama / TW-Drama
Need help to identify a J-Drama
Need help to identify a K-Drama
Need help to identify a celebrity
Need help to identify music or songs from dramas

i'm not sure why a sticky was never started for the chinese section. but lately, i've seen a lot of cdramas, hkdramas, twdramas, etc. being released, and i'm very certain you all have recommendations.

so let the chinese drama pride shine through. let us know which chinese dramas are your favorites, or at least ones you'd recommend!

:D

---- added by jholic

Hey, can anyone recommend any good Chinese dramas, more particularly Taiwanese dramas? Since I didn't see this topic here like in the j-dramas/k-dramas section I figured that I'd start one. I've only recently begun to get away from j-dramas and k-dramas, and need to find a place to start. So far I've only seen:

1) Mars - Which is my absolute favorite! :notworthy:

2) Lavender - Not the best or most interesting, but I still liked nonetheless... :thumleft:

3) Meteor Garden - which I love! This is hilarious... :rofl:

and

4) Love Contract - only just started watching this, so I don't know what to think of it yet, is it worth watching? I do love the theme song though. :lol

Can anyone suggest any others? I'm itching for more stuff to download! :lol

:tv:

aNToK
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by aNToK » Mar 10th, '05, 02:55

You could try "At Dolphin Bay". It was uploaded here a while back.

KrystalHeart

Post by KrystalHeart » Mar 10th, '05, 03:06

Right now I'm downloading "The Switch." I don't know if it's good or not but the synopsis posted seemed kind of interesting so I am trying it out. I'm at 93% and I've been downloading it for about a week now (24 hours a day)... I think my computer might die any day now ... ehehe

BTW ... The Switch all 40 episodes on here is 13 GIGs ......

taiwanese stuff I have
Dolphin Bay - bubbly, feel good-- kind of drama .. . .
MG1 - LOVED it - for Dao Ming Sz
MG2 - CRIED over it & hated Dao Ming Sz and Yesha
Lavender - there were some touching moments
Mars - MYSTERIOUS and LOVING IT -- but not done watching yet
Love Storm - it was okay ... only watched it so I could see Vic and Ken
F4 Concerts - I never get sick of their music
Love Contract - it's on my to watch list ..right now it's just archived on a dvd somewhere
Tomorrow - also on my watch list ... dvd is still unwrapped.

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Mar 10th, '05, 03:14

:D Thanks! I've been hearing "Dolphin Bay" and "The Switch" mentioned a lot lately, maybe I'll give them a try. Isn't the guy from "lavender" in "At the Dolphin Bay"?

....And yes, the Daoming Si and Ye Sha thing is the reason why I'm staying away from "Meteor Garden 2"! :lol

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » Mar 10th, '05, 05:25

I've been meaning to start one of these myself...but I don't think my recommendations would be of any use. :unsure: Here goes anyway. I don't watch a lot and my taste is particular but my favorite modern chinese drama is Boy and Girl (aka love in the city). :wub: It's about 2 girls who explore live and love in Shanghai, China.

Another drama I would recommend is Miracle Healer. :wub: :wub: This one totally caught me by suprise. I really despised the leading actor so I didn't watch this one for awhile. I had nothing to do one day so I just popped it in the dvd player and I watched the first episode. I didn't think it was too bad so I continued watching. It just got better and better! :w00t: I mean some of the stuff was boring but the two leading actors make the cutest couple that it makes up for everything. :roll I've been watching soaps like all my life so I know chemistry and they have it!!! Sigh, I can go on and on how much I love Alyssa and Vincent. :wub: I just wished there was more of them together.

Another favorite of mine is the Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre 2003. A lot of people don't like this one because of ..i dunno :blink... the overuse of computer graphics?... I didn't notice it. But I have noticed that more girls like this series. Same with Miracle Healer. :P

Then I'd recommend Princess Returning Pearl. I loved this one. Alec and Vicki make a great couple. Reminds me a lot of Alyssa & Vincent^^ :D

Oohh, I also like Romance in the Rain. A lot! It's very good. Has my favorite actors in it from Princess returning pearl! I hope someone can reseed it so that you all can watch it. The soundtrack is beautiful. It's only missing Alec as the singer. :x I remember the first time i watched it. :roll Very touching.

I gave up watching taiwanese dramas long ago. I really don't think they're great especially the modern ones. They just don't do it for me. Believe me I've tried...my taste must be changing or they're really just that bad. XD But everyone here seems to like them a lot. Maybe I'm turning into a old fogey...or turning into my parents :crazy: Y'know I would really like to hear what people don't recommend. he heh.

AggieDawg

Post by AggieDawg » Mar 10th, '05, 05:32

Huan Zhu Ge Ge 1&2 (Princess returning pearl 1 & 2)
MVP Valentine
Triumph in the Skies
The Outsiders
Feel 100% (HK Drama)
:-)

habukie
AiRen
AiRen

Post by habukie » Mar 10th, '05, 05:57

^^I'm sorta the opposite. I prefer modern dramas (I have a theory why...) and those are the only ones I've watched.

These are the twdramas that I've watched:
MG1 - I loved it. It had touching and funny moments at the same time. I even like the pineapple hair. :P
MG2 - I hated it. It took me several months just to get past the first two episodes. I just couldn't bear it. (I also hated Yesha, KrystalHeart. :-) )
Meteor Rain - I hated it. Skip this unless you're a diehard F4 fan. The DMS story is ok, but the MeiZhuo story was horrible. No one can be that stupid.
My MVP Valentine - I liked it. I liked the basketball scenes and also Chen Yu Fan :wub: . The OST is great, too.
The Rose - I liked it. I thought the plot was slightly odd and some of the characters were very strange. The best character was the older sister (played by Joelle).
100% Senorita - I liked it. Great acting all around by Wallace, Penny and Joe. Jason's role was not as large as it could have been, and the story dragged on for too long, but overall it was pretty nice.
In Love With A Girl - I loved it. It's a nice feel-good drama that isn't too weepy or serious. Great acting by Joe and Jason.

Hoarded but not finished watching:
At The Dolphin Bay - Watched about half when KrystalHeart was uploading, but had to stop due to time constraints and haven't finished yet. Wallace :wub:
Lavender - Watched an episode, but haven't finished yet.
Beauty Lady - Watched several episodes, but stopped b/c I didn't like the side story. The story between Joelle and Ambrose is good, though.
Snow Angel
Nine Ball
Amor De Tarapaca
Love Contract
Top of the Forbidden City
Say Yes Enterprise

ack! after making this list, i realized that i've hoarded more than i've watched. i'll have to make an effort to remedy that. :-)

philly

Post by philly » Mar 10th, '05, 06:14

this is off topic, but Kai Lien - your post reminds me of my posts :lol so many smilies :w00t: :P

OK, back on topic - I recommend "Xiao Ao Jiang Hu" (2001). I was crazy about it, still am :lol I just love the plot/actors/actresses/actions/etc in this Chinese epic drama :wub: :wub: :wub:
for info on this drama go http://sodcctv.tripod.com or http://www.spcnet.tv/china_xiaoao.shtml :wink:

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Mar 11th, '05, 01:29

philly wrote:OK, back on topic - I recommend "Xiao Ao Jiang Hu" (2001). I was crazy about it, still am :lol I just love the plot/actors/actresses/actions/etc in this Chinese epic drama :wub: :wub: :wub:
for info on this drama go http://sodcctv.tripod.com or http://www.spcnet.tv/china_xiaoao.shtml :wink:
Yeah, this does seem interesting, but where can I find it? I don't see it on here or Jem's site.

And I saw a few people mentioned My MVP Valentine.....can you tell me what's that about? :D

philly

Post by philly » Mar 11th, '05, 02:24

JadedAngel wrote:
philly wrote:OK, back on topic - I recommend "Xiao Ao Jiang Hu" (2001). I was crazy about it, still am :lol I just love the plot/actors/actresses/actions/etc in this Chinese epic drama :wub: :wub: :wub:
Yeah, this does seem interesting, but where can I find it? I don't see it on here or Jem's site.

And I saw a few people mentioned My MVP Valentine.....can you tell me what's that about? :D
err, I'm not sure. I bought the vcds in Chicago's Chinatown about 1-2 yrs ago :lol So they're not subbed either (mandarin) :P Do you understand mandarin?

regarding my mvp valentine, I think it's a drama about basketball. Watched the first ep but never got around to get the rest of the series. :P

Mattman

Post by Mattman » Mar 13th, '05, 12:53

1mars
2marmalade boy
3farewell firefly, even though i've seen only the first three eps i'd like to see more though

Calcifer
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Calcifer » Mar 14th, '05, 01:37

This is probably a sign I need to get off my lazy bum and start writing more reviews :whistling: Man I'm wordy...so I bolded the titles for easier findage :P

Modern: if you're talking Tw idol dramas, I'd say Mars (superb); Meteor Garden (great); The Rose (funny and rather unique). The Outsiders, 9 Ball, Dolphin Day, Tomorrow, are all ok; nothing that spectacular but probably won't cause you any pain, so you can check those out if you're looking for names of things to investigate.

If you're not into melodramatic cheesiness, I warn you to stay far, far away from series like Marmalade Boy, Poor Prince and especially Love Storm. (Can't believe I listened to what an online review said about how great Love Storm is...ahhhh!) I watched those for Vic Zhou, but couldn't finish any of them because they were way too lame for me. Sorry, fans of those series, but they made me want to strangle quite a few of those ridiculous characters. You should try these if you think they might float your boat, but they definitely sank mine. :glare:

There's a pretty funny Mainland comedy series about 4 women; I thought it was really entertaining. Sometimes it danced on the edge of lameness, but managed to keep itself from going over to that dark side. Don't know the English name, but the Chinese one is Fen Hong Nu Lang.

Ancient: Check out adaptations of wu xia (martial arts) legends! Condor Heroes, Return of the Condor Heroes, Legendary Twins, etc etc. And Huan Zhu Ge Ge 1 and 2 rocks!

Like people've said, lots of the new ones coming out are really CG loaded, which isn't necessarily a bad thing until they start going overboard. Sometimes reality's just more...real :P

I haven't had time to watch these two yet, but I'm told that the new Tian Long Ba Bu and Yi Tian Tu Long Ji are really good. Ru Lai Sheng Zhang and Shu Jian En Chou Ji have also been recommended to me. Most Jin Yong novel adaptations'll have at least a cool plot, if you know those titles.

I'm currently in the middle of Xian Jian Qi Xia Zhuan (Chinese Paladin); it's different than what I expected but definitely enjoyable. Lots of CG here too, but for this one it fits because 1. it's based on an rpg to begin with and 2. it's a fantasy martial arts story with your spirits and demons and 'magic.'

And of course, I would highly recommend Lady Flower Fist, Ji Xiao Lan 1 & 2 and Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon too. 8)

habukie
AiRen
AiRen

Post by habukie » Mar 14th, '05, 04:38

JadedAngel wrote:And I saw a few people mentioned My MVP Valentine.....can you tell me what's that about? :D
here's a brief intro:
My MVP Valentine is a story about love, basketball, and teamwork.

XiaoXi (Angela) is the manager of the QiSui basketball team. It is the worst team in the league, and is down to two members. XiaoXi's father, the prinicpal, wants to get rid of the basketball team, but if XiaoXi can get more players, he will not.
One day, she meets ChenFeng (Johnny) by chance while she is trying to save a kitten. He is one of the two best players in the league. She asks him to join her team, and he just laughs. She ends up leaving the kitten with him, and thus a relationship begins. She attends all of his games, and gradually they come to care for each other.
The other player in the league who is as good as ChenFeng is called Iceman (David). He has a younger sister, Angel, who plays the cello very well. On the day of the championship game, she is walking on the street and is hit by ChenFeng. Because of that, ChenFeng is late to the game. However, upon recognizing him, she tells him to go to the game. He arrives just as Iceman leaves, having heard about the accident. ChenFeng wins the MVP award, but is racked with guilt over the accident.
Students from Iceman's school pick on students from XiaoXi's school all the time. One day, she stands up to some of them, and comes to the attention of Prince (Tony of 5566). He is known as the Prince because his mother is on the board of the school. Despite his background, he has a caring nature and is intrigued by XiaoXi, so much so that he decides to attend her school and join the basketball team there. Because he wants to please XiaoXi, he works hard to recruit new players. Soon, more members join the team, including DJ (Jason of 5566), ShaShou (Zax of 5566) and XiaoDao (Rio of 5566).

Actors:
Angela Chang (Dolphin Bay)
Johnny Yan Xing Shu (Snow Angel)
David Chen Yu Fan (Star, Go On The Stage, Nine Ball)
Members of 5566 (Westside Story)
Joe Chen Qiao En (100% Senorita, In Love With A Girl)

I'm sorry that the intro is so chaotic, but while writing, I realized just how many storylines there are. I recommend this drama to anyone who likes dramas that are not overly sentimental. It helps if you like basketball, because there are quite a few scenes from games/practices. The OST for this drama is also very good, a great mix of kpop, jpop and cpop.

lilswtangel
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by lilswtangel » Mar 14th, '05, 04:43

1. MARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:
2. At the Dolphin's Bay
3. Love Contract
4. Huan Zhe Ge Ge I & II
5. MG I
6. Lavender
7. MG II

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Mar 14th, '05, 05:10

habukie wrote:
JadedAngel wrote:And I saw a few people mentioned My MVP Valentine.....can you tell me what's that about? :D
here's a brief intro:
My MVP Valentine is a story about love, basketball, and teamwork.

I'm sorry that the intro is so chaotic, but while writing, I realized just how many storylines there are. I recommend this drama to anyone who likes dramas that are not overly sentimental. It helps if you like basketball, because there are quite a few scenes from games/practices. The OST for this drama is also very good, a great mix of kpop, jpop and cpop.
Wow, though I'm not a big fan of basketball, on second thought this dramam does sound very interesting. I'll have to give it a try. Thanks for the info habukie! :D

selfxplanatory

Post by selfxplanatory » Mar 14th, '05, 14:42

philly wrote:err, I'm not sure. I bought the vcds in Chicago's Chinatown about 1-2 yrs ago :lol So they're not subbed either (mandarin) :P Do you understand mandarin?

regarding my mvp valentine, I think it's a drama about basketball. Watched the first ep but never got around to get the rest of the series. :P

WAIT!!!! Where did you find them in Chicago's Chinatown!!! WHERE!!! *Hands held out in frustration* I got's to KNOW!!!

Dramas in the TW world that are a must ( at least to me ) are:
Meteor Garden I and II and the Meteor Rain spin-off
At The Dolphin Bay
Love Contract ( Out right now in torrent section)<-- Im helping to seed this one
Mars ( Out right now in torrent section)
Come To My Place

Others that have been mentioned but I haven't had a chance to see yet are:
100% Senorita (Which is supposed to be fansubbed soon)
Love Of the Aegean Sea
Love Storm (is in the middle of release right now in torrent section)
MVP Valentine
Poor Prince Taro
Say Yes Enterprise
Marmalade Boy
Starry Starry Night
Summer Scent
West Side Story
Secret Garden II (being released right now in torrent section)

Most places I've looked, don't have fansubs with eng. Subs included so that kinda slows me down... to a crawl. But I would like to say that I didn't leave out Lavender by accident *haha* It's WAY tOo slow. ( at least for me ) But anything with Penny in it is worth watching.. just for my girl... er... I mean... her. :mrgreen: *ah hem* so.... yea...... *haha*

Annae

Post by Annae » Mar 14th, '05, 16:50

seen it
love contract :glare:
lavender :unsure:
at the dolphin bay :w000t:
summer scent :|
MG 1 :thumright:
MG 2 :rambo:
Mars :nuts:
Huan Zhe Ge Ge I :P
Huan Zhe Ge Ge II :D

wish list
100% Senorita
West Side Story
MVP Valentine
starry starry night
snow angel
Love Of the Aegean Sea
Last edited by Annae on Mar 15th, '05, 01:50, edited 1 time in total.

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Mar 14th, '05, 17:13

philly wrote:
JadedAngel wrote:
err, I'm not sure. I bought the vcds in Chicago's Chinatown about 1-2 yrs ago :lol So they're not subbed either (mandarin) :P Do you understand mandarin?
:lol No, sadly I don't understand a word of Madarin! But you said you found it there? Well, maybe I'll get lucky somehow and find a subbed version in NYC's Chinatown.

philly

Post by philly » Mar 14th, '05, 22:20

selfxplanatory wrote:
philly wrote:err, I'm not sure. I bought the vcds in Chicago's Chinatown about 1-2 yrs ago :lol So they're not subbed either (mandarin) :P Do you understand mandarin?

WAIT!!!! Where did you find them in Chicago's Chinatown!!! WHERE!!! *Hands held out in frustration* I got's to KNOW!!!
oh no, I'm sorry, I can't remember :cry: :unsure: :pale: It was 2 years ago and it was the first time I've been in Chicago. Also, I know nothing about directions/places and I can't remember the store's name :-( Although it did have a "underground" feel to it, if you know what I mean :O :lol I'm sure if you walked around and asked some people they'll show you the way :wink:
JadedAngel wrote::lol No, sadly I don't understand a word of Madarin! But you said you found it there? Well, maybe I'll get lucky somehow and find a subbed version in NYC's Chinatown.
not even "Ni Hao"??!! :P j/k, well, I hope you find a subbed version too, although the chances of that is :pale: :cry:

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Mar 15th, '05, 03:19

philly wrote:
JadedAngel wrote::lol No, sadly I don't understand a word of Madarin! But you said you found it there? Well, maybe I'll get lucky somehow and find a subbed version in NYC's Chinatown.
not even "Ni Hao"??!! :P j/k, well, I hope you find a subbed version too, although the chances of that is :pale: :cry:
:lol Well, I stand corrected, that is about the only word I do know.....but yes, I know my chances are very slim, but I'll keep praying, flipping coins, and and carrying 4 leaf clovers while on my search!

clouds421
Reviewer
Reviewer

Post by clouds421 » Mar 16th, '05, 01:27

Didn't know there were so many people from Chicago... most of the video rental/stores in Chinatown are pretty "underground" ghetto. In recent years, lots of mobility in new/old places as well. There's a place by the library that would probably have it though, but it's one of those ghetto places.

sillypanda114
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by sillypanda114 » Mar 16th, '05, 07:00

JadedAngel wrote:....And yes, the Daoming Si and Ye Sha thing is the reason why I'm staying away from "Meteor Garden 2"! :lol
oh my gawd. those two pissed me off so bad. especially ye sha. but whatever.

ANYWAYS... er.. iono i didn't think love storm was really that great.. kind of unrealistic and ditzy. but hey. that's just my opinion

so uhh to the main topic. i actually liked lavender. haha. and then there's at dolphin bay, love at aegean sea, my mvp valentine (it was pretty hilarious. xp even if the acting was kinda.. eh...) and of course, the returning pearl princess (huan zhu ge ge 1 and 2)!

innocentchica

Post by innocentchica » Mar 16th, '05, 07:05

hmmm i recommend Princess Huai Yu~! Goshh I LOVE the series... even though it's incredibly long. it gave me tons of laughs and tears. so worth the watch!!!

and for modern.. meteor garden like everyone had mentioned above... the only taiwanese idol drama that i enjoyed.

fluxs

Post by fluxs » Mar 16th, '05, 18:45

I quite like love contract, also watching secret garden 1 right now.. pretty funny sometimes
meteor garden 1 was pretty good, quite successful remake of the manga i'd say...

JadedAngel

Post by JadedAngel » Mar 16th, '05, 23:42

sillypanda114 wrote:
JadedAngel wrote:....And yes, the Daoming Si and Ye Sha thing is the reason why I'm staying away from "Meteor Garden 2"! :lol
oh my gawd. those two pissed me off so bad. especially ye sha. but whatever.

so uhh to the main topic. i actually liked lavender. haha. and then there's at dolphin bay, love at aegean sea, my mvp valentine (it was pretty hilarious. xp even if the acting was kinda.. eh...) and of course, the returning pearl princess (huan zhu ge ge 1 and 2)!
:lol Yeah, I already had enough of all the obstacles between Shancai and Daoming Si in MG 1, I don't need more of it in MG 2! .....But anyway, yeah, I liked Lavender too, though Maggie was really pissing me off. I haven't seen any of the others you mentioned, but hopefully MVP Valentine will win CSOTM so I'll get a chance to see that one. :D

yinki

Post by yinki » Mar 20th, '05, 22:11

I just finished watching the switch and totally recommend this series. Although it is 40 eps long and it gets draggy toward the middle, its still is pretty hilarous and vincent and zhang ting have such great chemistry together that you wouldn't mind the draggy parts. Bloody Pearl is always pretty good, the story line is something similar to the switch. I also would like to recommend The return of the condor hero, especailly the 95 version with louis koo in it, just because he is so hot in there. Well that is pretty much it I can think of now, if u like hk series, try watching Detective Investigation Files, the one with Louis K in it, pretty interesting.

donna8157

Post by donna8157 » Mar 26th, '05, 21:52

I recommend these series:

Huan Zhu Ge Ge (Princess Returning Pearl)
Qing Sheng Sheng Yu Meng Meng (Romance in the Rain)
Tian Xia Di Yi (The World's Number One)
Bai Gu Niang (White Girl - White referring to the clothes that she wears :P )
Xi Yu Ji (The story about Monkey king, Shu wu Kung and others)
Hong Le Meng
Bao Biao (The Treasure Protectors? - About three sisters)
Shui Hu Zhuan (About 40 "thieves" who live in the mountain)

Lynn0419

Post by Lynn0419 » Mar 29th, '05, 09:56

I truly recommend these folloing Taiwanese dramas:

Scent of Love 戀香

This drama stars 彭于晏 (Eddie Peng) and Korean actress 秋瓷炫 (Chu Ja Hyun).
Although Scent of Love is not entirely made by Taiwan, it is a wonderful drama teamed up and worked by both Taiwan and Korea.
This drama is filmed in both Seoul and Taiwan. It is definitely a must see for ppl who like romance and an interesting plot.

Here are some pix from Scent of Love:

Chu Ja Hyun.....she is so pretty ^^

Eddie and Chu Ja Hyun

i dunno if you guys know this girl, but she is another Korean actress. I dont think she is very popular in Korea thoe. She is currently in taiwan doing commercials. The guy is Ben from B.A.D. He's a good actor too ^^

This is a really really good drama!!! I recommend it to everyone who hasn't watched it yet. It has such a unique plot.

The Outsiders

This is a good drama full of action and romance. good plot. actors and actresses are good looking too ^^

main actor ---- Guo Ping Chao so hot! ^^

main actress ---- Xiao Yan Zi .... dunno how to pronounce her real name in english...

The 3 good brothers in the drama

Hong Doh --- my fav character in the drama

Meteor Garden

This is a really good drama starring Da S and F4. It has a funny plot. but i guess most ppl have seen it.

I hope I gave some help to you guys :D

fantasydream3

Post by fantasydream3 » Apr 11th, '05, 20:45

1. At the Dolphin Bay
2. Le robe de mariage des cieux
3. My MVP Valentine
4. Peach GIrl
5. Marmalade Boy
6. The Rose
7. The Legend of Speed
8. Say Yes Enterprise
9. Farewell Firefly
10. 100% Senorita

achuey07

Recommended Cantonese (Hong Kong) dramas?

Post by achuey07 » Apr 12th, '05, 07:55

dearest all,
i was wondering if anyone would know any good hong kong dramas to watch? especially the cutesy, romantic, sweet, funny type if possible? :P

thanks a lot!!

gfanikf

Looking for a series to get

Post by gfanikf » Apr 13th, '05, 01:04

Hey guys,

Well I finally found a couple of historical dramas that actually have English subtitles. They are not to cheap and so I can only afford one. If you have any recs that are not on the list please let me know. I want a show that makes full use of the beauty and splendor or China. One that also has a lot of history and maybe even battles. Oh and if you know anything about the quality of the subs that would help alot.

The first show is Han Wu Da Di

From Yesasia
http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/p ... on-videos/
Han Wu Da Di, one of the most anticipated CCTV productions, starts the year of 2005 with the roller-coaster life of Emperor Han Wu in the Han Dynasty. Hu Mei, who has successfully nailed a record-breaking number of viewers with his previous work The Yongzheng Dynasty, sits back on the director's chair again and gathers a dazzling cast including Chen Bao-guo, Jiao Huang and Gui Ya-lei to chronicle one of the greatest emperors' journey to become a living legend.

The sceond one is The Yongzheng Dynasty

Description from yesasia in Chinese
http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/p ... l-12,35,1/

Description from a yahoo seller
http://www.collectrarestuff.com/yonzhandyn44.html
This is the drama adapted from author Er Yueh Her's book "Yong Zhang Dynasty".

The story covers both the reign of Kangxi when the prince #4 (future Yong Zhang Emperor) was a young man and his own reign(Yong Zhang) until his death.

The third and final is Romance Of The Three Kingdoms

I know the world version is apparently bad and will buy it from an ebay seller and get the Chinese version.

Here is a description from yesasia
http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.aspx/p ... l-12,35,1/
The classic novel about the Warring Period in the Middle Kingdom lets you enjoy all the legendary characters of the offbeat tale like Zhang Fei & Zhu Ge Liang, the bravery of numerous gallant heroes, the trickery of the power greedy villains & all the spectacular scenes on the battle field plus more!

natnat528

love bond!

Post by natnat528 » Apr 13th, '05, 10:59

Hey! How about love bond? I thought that was pretty funny !! ^_^

At least I enjoyed it alot! :)

natnat528

wow :D

Post by natnat528 » Apr 13th, '05, 11:13

Hihi!! I love watching Hong Kong dramas too ^_^ hehee

I've just recently watched 'love bond' and that was brilliant :D

I also recommend:

-uncatchable (super funny!)
-pretty face ( so sweet and amazingly funny)
-handful of love (one of my personal favs)
- ups and downs (the best!!)
- the track (good story and cast)

Hope you enjoy them as I much as I did!

alina

Post by alina » Apr 13th, '05, 14:08

How about My Family (甜孙爷爷). It fits your description. It's a modern drama about a family with a grandpa and 3 grandsons and parent all living in the same house. I've watched not too long ago. I find it one of the best tvb series lately.

Shindou-Kun
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Shindou-Kun » Apr 13th, '05, 14:36

Slim Chances was kinda good. It's a Jem release and can be found here.

Calcifer
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Calcifer » Apr 13th, '05, 14:51

Of those three, I've actually only seen Yong Zheng Wang Chao (the 2nd one in your list) and yes, it's got a lot of history and very interesting plotlines, but if you're looking for epic battles, scenery and fights, you probably don't want that. It focuses much more on internal court conflicts, backstabbing plots for power and stuff like that. And I also found it very depressing, but that's just me.

I know that many, many people appreciate The Romance of the Three Kingdoms. It's one of the 4 major Chinese classics and though I have yet to find the time to watch it through, I know there're a lot of fights and epic scenes. I know this story has a lot of very famous lines/quotes that've become part of daily speech, fighting strategies and legendary people (like the super-famous strategist Zhu Ge Liang). But like I said, I haven't actually sat through and watched it before, so I don't know about its pace, etc.

I think Three Kingdoms eps were actually released here with subs, too...

mikomi

Post by mikomi » Apr 13th, '05, 21:15

How about The Legendary Four Aces, it's a costume series but it's one of the best I've seen of HK for quite a long time. It's funny, cute, sweet, light-hearted, a bit touchy sometimes; in fact, it has all the factors that make it a feel-good series.

Moenyc2000

Post by Moenyc2000 » Apr 13th, '05, 21:18

if you are lookiong for a "cutesy, romantic, sweet, funny " then you must watch A Step into the Past.

xiaryx
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by xiaryx » Apr 13th, '05, 23:19

Hmm.. I am not sure how much Chinese/Chinese history you know...

Acting aside (since I havent seen any of them), the one that has the best story must be Romance of Three kingdom. It has tons of battles, impressive battle strategies, and romance between some of the most beautiful figures (male and female) in Chinese histories.
Han wu Di would be the second. It is the first dynasty, and you get to see how people live thousand of years ago.

Other recommandation would include Dream of red chamber (the 1990's version). You might try Outlaw of the marsh, but the acting wasnt that great.

I guess the recommended drama thread only has romance and wu xia dramas heh

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Apr 14th, '05, 08:59

aaagh! i need to stop reading this thread!! i dl enough drama as it is, and it's only recently that i've started to WATCH them!! if i start collecting cdrama too! :cry:

then again, i'm starting on my mvp valentine already....

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » Apr 15th, '05, 00:41

Don't fight it! Yay, jholic! I know you want 'em!

Serenade

Post by Serenade » Apr 15th, '05, 11:19

Waah, Yong Zheng has official English subtitles?! Oh my goodness...! I wonder how they treated all that political stuff!!! *is intrigued*

As for favourite series...

Huan Zhu Ge Ge I and II!!!
Mars (oh, the loveliness!!!)
Jue Dai Shuang Jiao
Lavender

Then again, I haven't seen much...

Kai Lien, we must convert J-holic to a C-holic. :D

animetama
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Looking for a series to get

Post by animetama » Apr 15th, '05, 13:05

gfanikf wrote:Hey guys,

Well I finally found a couple of historical dramas that actually have English subtitles. They are not to cheap and so I can only afford one. If you have any recs that are not on the list please let me know. I want a show that makes full use of the beauty and splendor or China. One that also has a lot of history and maybe even battles. Oh and if you know anything about the quality of the subs that would help alot.

The first show is Han Wu Da Di
^^ Bought it awhile back..
Rippin' the first disk and taking forever cos I am sooooo lazy >_<
I've been watching bits of it and it's quite nice, beautiful actually, very lavish.

I'll upload after April.. a lil' hectic this month..
maybe.

:unsure:

Ps. Romance of the Three Kingdom was uploaded on D-Addicts last year.
It's completed and in batch torrents. 58 VCDs. I'd say an avg. B in quality.
The English subs werent too bad.
I fell off my chair when I saw the first VCD.. Genlock anyone? :lol

takubo

Post by takubo » Apr 15th, '05, 22:51

My top favorite TV series:

1. The Green Hope (starring- Stephen Fung, Joey Yung, and others I don't know their English name or how to write their Chinese name) - about 2 brothers where one (Stephen Fung) has a mental kind of problem and everyone is "mean" about it or make fun of him. His brother has to give up some things to take care of him and...well, it's a REALLY good & touching story. I love it.

2. Duke of the Mount Deer 2000 (starring- Dicky, ah..crap..forgot his name again..?? Tam, etc..) - well, I'm sure a lot of you know since it's up to download...

3. Take My Word For It (forget the actor's English names..) - it's a good series. Quite a bit of drama, but it's pretty good. That's just about all I have to say about it.

donna8157

Re: Recommended Cantonese (Hong Kong) dramas?

Post by donna8157 » Apr 18th, '05, 03:55

achuey07 wrote:dearest all,
i was wondering if anyone would know any good hong kong dramas to watch? especially the cutesy, romantic, sweet, funny type if possible? :P

thanks a lot!!
I recommend "Liu Jin Sui Yue" (golden faith). It's a great series. It's a really involving story about a man named Shan Wen who was adopted into a rich family who fashions jewelry and sells it. But the thing is, they're also involved with the Chinese mafia groups which causes trouble for the family ultimately.

It sounds dark, but there are a lot of cute and romantic moments between him and his love interest who is a lawyer. =)

ElemersGlue

Taiwanese Series

Post by ElemersGlue » Apr 18th, '05, 23:33

Series I've seen:

Taiwanese:

1)Meteor Garden (Definitely worth watching. I didn't love it as much as I should've because my friend told me the whole plot before I watched it... )

2)Meteor Garden II (I've seen most of the series and I really do love it. I consider it completely different and seperate from the first one since the characters have changed so much. It's definitely set in a totally different, more serious mood. If you love the kind of fun batter set in the first one, you'll probably hate this. That's what most people seem to say.)

3)Marmalade Boy (I've watched 2/3 of this series and have yet to finish. Yes, it's not the best series and can be a bit childish. Especially the first half of the series, it's just a lot of silly bantering but I guess I got used to it. After a while, I got really addicted to the two main characters, especially when they finally got serious with each other. I think this series doesn't belong at the top of the list of things to watch but something to do when you have some time on your hands.)

4)Mars (One of the best series I've seen. I LOVED it! This belongs on the top of your list. The relationships and issues delt with in here are truly memorable and the OST is so awesome!)

YupHehe

Post by YupHehe » Apr 23rd, '05, 07:38

Wow Mateor Garden is very popular, well makes sense its so much better than the Original Hano Yuri Dango, and cute guys.

I like:
Pawnshop #8
My Date with a Vampire I, II, & III (yes they are all great, except the third one has really big plot holes)
The Rose (yes i liked this one too, eventhough its quite weird)

hosuenga

Post by hosuenga » Apr 23rd, '05, 16:35

my top 3 of taiwanese dramas:
1 = My MVP Valentine (i realy love this drama.. especially johnny yan :wub: )
2 = Mars
3 = Lavender..

all these series r great 2 watch.. although the d/l of lavender is slow.. i also like 2 watch this drama.. :-)

semkei

Post by semkei » Apr 25th, '05, 15:23

i recommed the duke of mount deer( andy lau & tony Leung) its a the best comedy :mrgreen:

mmitsjojo

Post by mmitsjojo » Apr 30th, '05, 17:49

habukie wrote:
At The Dolphin Bay - Watched about half when KrystalHeart was uploading, but had to stop due to time constraints and haven't finished yet. Wallace :wub:
Beauty Lady - Watched several episodes, but stopped b/c I didn't like the side story. The story between Joelle and Ambrose is good, though.
Snow Angel
Nine Ball
Amor De Tarapaca
Love Contract
Say Yes Enterprise
=O i see that you're watching top of the forbidden city, can you tell me where yu got it from cause i`ve been looking for it all over? unless you bought it on dvd :|

vast_dawn

Post by vast_dawn » May 2nd, '05, 04:45

I don't watch many dramas, i've only enjoyed "At The Dolphin Bay" ( or called "The promise of love at the Dolphin Bay" ). I've been enjoying this drama and I'm so interested in it !!!

I like Ambrose Hsu the most, not coz he's handsome, coz he's so kind :wub:

edwinlee

Post by edwinlee » May 5th, '05, 17:05

My Date With a Vampire I-III (whcih rocked my life)

kahmeng_srey

Is Boy and Girl uploaded on to this d-addicts site?

Post by kahmeng_srey » May 7th, '05, 00:27

I download the first episode and I really like it. I want the rest but I searched for it here but I can't find it.

can someone tell me where can I get it?
pm me

Kai Lien
AiRen
AiRen

Post by Kai Lien » May 7th, '05, 02:34

habukie wrote:
Snow Angel
Nine Ball
Amor De Tarapaca
Love Contract
Say Yes Enterprise
I hoarded 9 ball awhile ago as well. I finally started to watch it this week. It's GOOD!! I'm amazed. I've never really seen a good tw idoly type drama. I just love Joe & David's characters. Habukie, Now I know why you like Chen yu fan! :D :P I'm pretty impressed by him in mvp. I hope to see more series that he is in.

habukie
AiRen
AiRen

Post by habukie » May 7th, '05, 03:32

mmitsjojo wrote:=O i see that you're watching top of the forbidden city, can you tell me where yu got it from cause i`ve been looking for it all over? unless you bought it on dvd :|
i downloaded it from YDY while it was airing (when i say hoard, i really mean hoard :lol ) a while ago. i didn't get it recently, so i don't know where you might find it now. sorry.
Kai Lien wrote: I hoarded 9 ball awhile ago as well. I finally started to watch it this week. It's GOOD!! I'm amazed. I've never really seen a good tw idoly type drama. I just love Joe & David's characters. Habukie, Now I know why you like Chen yu fan! :D :P I'm pretty impressed by him in mvp. I hope to see more series that he is in.
hmmm...maybe i should finish watching? :P i guess i'll have to see if i have time. i'm in the middle of enjoying Loveholic right now. KangTa :wub: Kai Lien, i'm glad there's another Chen Yu Fan convert! i think he does a good job of acting, and he sings well, too. i love the songs from Nine Ball, though i haven't even watched past episode 1. :roll i don't know how you feel about Wallace, but he and David are in a series together. not sure how good it is, and it's old, so it's hard to find.

chitato_80

Post by chitato_80 » May 11th, '05, 12:07

HMmmm everybody here seems to post Taiwanese *idol* dramas ... the Meteor Garden alike ... :unsure:

When I first read the title of this thread... what came to mind really was HK TVB drama... what about those ? :lol

Here are my new favorites
1. Golden Faith (Gallen Lo, Jessica Hsuan, Deric Wan)
2. A Step into the Past (Louis Koo) - this has a vey original story I think if you're bored with the same Wu Xia story remade over and over again.

But when I was much much younger (10+ years back), this was my list of Top TVB series ... I watched them in elementary / junior high period :
1. Rain in The Heart ( Roger Kwok, Gallen Lo, Kathy Chow, Winnie Lau)
2. The Breaking Point ( Leon Lai, Kathy Chow, Deric Wan, Maggie Siu)
3. The Change of Time (Frankie Lam, Gigi Lai, Francis Ng, Maggie Siu)
4. Rage and Passion (Ekin Cheng, Fiona Leung)

That's all I remember for now.. I will add to this list if I remember more later.

max_phrozen

Post by max_phrozen » May 14th, '05, 03:38

My favourite HKdrama for this year

Love Bond
Triumph In The Skies
Golden Faith
Shine On You

orchidjadedx

my dramas..

Post by orchidjadedx » May 14th, '05, 20:20

1) Treasure Venture
cast: vicki zhao and nicky wu

2) Romance in the Rain
cast: vicki zhao, leo ku, ruby lin, alec su

3) Princess Returning Pearl
cast: vicki zhao, alec su, ruby lin, fan bing bing, and others

4) 100% Senorita
cast: wallace huo, penny lin

5) Summer Scent
cast: roy chiu qiu ze and rainie yang

6) Cold Blood, Warm Heart
cast: jessica suan, louis koo, gallen lo, and others

xiidebbie

Post by xiidebbie » May 15th, '05, 01:34

huang zhu ge ge was really good [saw series 1 &2]
meteor garden was okayy [have the vcds]
yi tian tu long ji was really gooood [have the dvds]
boy & girl was alright [have the vcds]

xiidebbie

Post by xiidebbie » May 15th, '05, 01:35

i almost forgot
qing shen shen yu meng meng was really good too

iambuyo

Post by iambuyo » May 19th, '05, 06:08

some of these are old and i dunno if anyone's mentioned them already but:

1.) "Fang Shi Yu" - hilarious!
2.) "Hua Mu Lan" - hilariousx2!
3.) a lot of my friends like "dou yu" (fighting fish?)

and just wanted to say.."yea mars is awesome! but im sorry...our generation actors..cannot act T-T"

wwp8

recomendations?

Post by wwp8 » May 22nd, '05, 09:44

hi, can anyone recomend me any CANTONESE language series,
i'm new here and dl my first one BUT its in MANDARIN

i don't suppose there is any DICKY CHEUNG ones.
i have bought Most if not all of his series

footfoot

Re: Recommended Cantonese (Hong Kong) dramas?

Post by footfoot » May 23rd, '05, 05:43

Hello..

I have some Hong Kong dramas i like to introduce to all...I love to watch them and i hope u all will have the same thought as i do...All of the dramas tat i picked are love and comedy type of story..

1) "Square Pegs" [2003] -----> http://www.spcnet.tv/reviews/review.php?rID=310
- Funny !! - recommend

2) "Fate Twisters" [2003] ---> http://www.spcnet.tv/reviews/review.php?rID=80
- Love sacrificing.. - must watch!!

3) "Shades of truth" [2005] --> http://www.spcnet.tv/reviews/review.php?rID=786
- don't be trick by their poster which looks serious and mean ..instead it'sfunny and entertaining..

3) "Shui Yue Dong Tian"(pt 1) [2003] ---> http://www.chinatv.com.tw/event/2004/moon/
(The combination of Hong kong and China actors and actresses)
- Kung Fu type

4) "Ling Jing Chuan Qi"(pt 2) [2004] ---> http://www.ctv.com.tw/event/2004/moon2/
- the continuation story for Shui Yue Dong Tian.
Last edited by footfoot on Jul 1st, '05, 13:05, edited 2 times in total.

Me2

Post by Me2 » May 29th, '05, 02:07

currently hooked on Meteor Garden I...i finished watching it and started on Meteor Garden II but couldn't get past episode 1...soooOOoo boring!! i prefer dao ming si and shancai when they were still bickering ><;;

crazylazy_chief

Post by crazylazy_chief » May 29th, '05, 23:18

I believe that I haven't posted in here before, well, here are my recommendations, though I am quite behind on all my dramas. :P

TW Drama:

Meteor Garden *Probably the drama that got me hooked onto idol-ish style drama, and made me crazy enough to go and buy the vcd set. Gahhhhhh, burned a hole on my wallet. :cry:

The Outsiders *Loved the story, and the moral, along with the actors, lol. :P

Legend of Speed *Nice cars, lots of racing scenes, though kinda weak plot *ahem* but it's still one of my favourite series...because I really like this particular character in it. *cough* XD :w000t: :whistling:

My MVP Valentine *Good plot, and tons of basketball playing scenes. The acting was "alright".

My Secret Garden *One that I enjoyed with my mom, it's more of friendship, love, and dreaming type of plot. Though throughout the series, it mentions sex-related things quite a lot. *cough*

The Rose *I was debating if I should list this, but um, some find this series offending, but personally, I found it, entertaining in some parts, though pretty draggy. But this is the series that introduced me to Joe Cheng. :wub: :w00t: Errr, if you're offended by incest type of plot, then I guess you shouldn't watch this, lol.

C-Drama:

Heavenly Sword and Dragon Sabre Sword 2003- This is probably one of my favourite series of all time, errrr, I watched this five times. =_=;;

HK- Drama:

Triumph of the Skies *Great plot, good acting, beautiful scenery, though some parts were dragged a bit, but it's okay overall, I guess.

Gahhhhhhhh, when I was trying to recommend, I just realized how behind I am in all my dramas. >________________<;;

fanqed

Taiwanese Dramas

Post by fanqed » May 30th, '05, 21:22

Ah I've only begun watching Asian dramas, and I love them. The two I'm watching now are Peach Girl and Mars. I love them both, though sometimes the acting in Peach Girl was a bit cheesy, I loved in nonetheless. I began watching Peach Girl because I'm loving the anime, and I started watching Mars because I heard it was a manga and one of the members from my mailing list recommended it to me. So two good Taiwanese dramas:

Peach Girl
Mars

=D

YHY

Post by YHY » Jun 3rd, '05, 21:59

I recommend...

Twin of Brothers (the one with Ron Ng and Raymond Lam)

The Academy (hmm...can you find this series here?)

Triumph in the Skies (I m just rewatching it right now lol)

Square Pegs (I LOVE this! I m glad they are filming a sequel)

and any other TVB series (they are all great!) :lol

lazybum

Post by lazybum » Jun 9th, '05, 23:32

huan zhu ge ge 1, 2 (3 was okay too, but not original actors so it was a lil diff).
meteor garden 1
lavender
my mvp valentine
mars (in process of watching it, but seems good)

no specific order.

pinkaholicbomb

Post by pinkaholicbomb » Jun 10th, '05, 20:21

I will recommend Love at the Aegean Sea, starring Alec Su and Chai Rim (Korean actress). Very nice drama.

semkei

Post by semkei » Jun 11th, '05, 19:17

i recommed Princess Returning Pearl part 1 and part 2 cos alex is acting very good :wub:

GhstDreamer

Post by GhstDreamer » Jun 12th, '05, 18:42

Most of the chinese ones (cantonese language) I enjoy and highly recommend are old (from 80s to mid 90s):

HK Modern Dramas:
The Green Hope
The Price of Growing Up (has some of the best acting I've seen in a drama)
The Turbulent Decade
Police Cadet II
The Final Verdict
The Greed of Man
Yankee Boys (really funny)
War of Genders (the funniest drama I've watched)
Country Spirit (not really modern but it isn't martial arts still a period piece I guess)

I've watched quite a bit of the recent ones as well but they just don't seem to measure up in quality of plot, characters and acting.

HK Martial Arts Dramas:
Fist of Fury
Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre 1986
Fong Sai Yuk (this one stars Dicky Cheung)
Flying Fox of Snowy Mountain
Chor Lau Heung 84
The Battlefield (my favourite ancient period drama)

TW Dramas:
Peach Girl (only up to ep10 so far because I need the english subs)
Meteor Garden I and Meteor Rain

I haven't watched too many taiwan dramas so....that's it....

JadedAngel

Re: my dramas..

Post by JadedAngel » Jun 13th, '05, 13:42

orchidjadedx wrote:1) Treasure Venture
cast: vicki zhao and nicky wu

2) Romance in the Rain
cast: vicki zhao, leo ku, ruby lin, alec su

3) Princess Returning Pearl
cast: vicki zhao, alec su, ruby lin, fan bing bing, and others

4) 100% Senorita
cast: wallace huo, penny lin

5) Summer Scent
cast: roy chiu qiu ze and rainie yang

6) Cold Blood, Warm Heart
cast: jessica suan, louis koo, gallen lo, and others
:lol I guess you're a Vicki Zhao fan! But does Treasure Venture have English subs?

YHY

Post by YHY » Jun 16th, '05, 06:02

a new tvb series, Guts of Man~~~ :-)

babyblueangel

Post by babyblueangel » Jun 16th, '05, 23:35

some must sees are
-War & Beauty
-Love Is Beautiful
-To Where He Belongs [ATV]
-Reaching Out
-Plain Love II
-Eternal Happiness
-Dragon Love
-Game Of Deceit
-Secret Of The Heart
-My Date With A Vampire I,II,III [ATV]

oh oh and Prince turns To Frog [Wang Zi Bian Qing Wa] !!

etc etc..
Last edited by babyblueangel on Jul 11th, '05, 23:50, edited 2 times in total.