Asian movies/dramas - vampires and werewolves

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
Neyjour

Asian movies/dramas - vampires and werewolves

Post by Neyjour » May 18th, '09, 22:31

I'm looking for Asian movies and dramas that have vampires and/or werewolves. This is one of my favourite themes/genres but I haven't been able to find any so far. Hope you guys can help me out, please! :-)

TIA!
Ney

EDIT:
~Updated List~

DRAMAS

Chinese:
My Date With a Vampire | (Ngo Wo Geung Si Yao Goh Yeuk Wui / Wo He Jiang Shi You Ge Yue Hui) | (我和殭屍有個約會 / 僵屍探長) (info)

Japanese:
RH Plus (info)
Vampire Host | ヴァンパイアホスト (info)

Korean:
Freeze | Peurijeu | 프리즈 (info)

MOVIES

Chinese:
Mr. Vampire | Jiāngshī Xiānsheng | 殭屍先生 (info)
The Twins Effect:
(2003) The Twins Effect | Chin Gei Bin | 千机变 (info)
(2004) Twins Effect 2 | Chin Gei Bin 2: Fa Dou Daai Jin | 千机变2_花都大战 (info)

Japanese:
Moon Child (info)

Korean:
Vampire Cop Ricky | Heubhyeol Hyeongsa na Do-yeol | 흡혈형사 나도열 (info)
Last edited by Neyjour on May 19th, '09, 22:47, edited 2 times in total.

Elitist Grammarian

Post by Elitist Grammarian » May 19th, '09, 01:15

Vampire Host looks interesting. I haven't watched it myself though.

dmriojas

Post by dmriojas » May 19th, '09, 01:30

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/RH_Plus, about Vampires as well. ~D

mavi

Post by mavi » May 19th, '09, 02:05

Moon Child is a good vampire movie.

ethidda
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ethidda » May 19th, '09, 06:32

Vampire Host is a wonderful vampire drama! I LOVE it!

I've watched RH Plus, but didn't really like it.

There are quite a few HK drama with vampires (both Chinese vampires and western). I've watched My Date with a Vampire which is really long and has three or four seasons, actually. I enjoyed the first 2 before it got repetitive.

There's also the HK movie Mr. Vampire on wikipedia. But it's one of the typical Chinese vampires that are more like blood-sucking zombies than actual vampires (if there are actual vampires). Still, it's considered a cult classic.

I found the Korean movie Vampire Cop Ricky, though it's definitely comedy and adult themed. (There's a review here.)

I think there might be a scarcity of vampire/werewolf shows--at least Chinese ones--because they're simply not part of the culture. Ghosts are a much more popular topic to make supernatural drama out of. If you want to watch some English or American vampire drama, I can also recommend some.

mavi

Post by mavi » May 19th, '09, 06:50

I thought Vampire Cop Ricky was from Hong Kong

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » May 19th, '09, 07:21

ethidda wrote:I think there might be a scarcity of vampire/werewolf shows--at least Chinese ones--because they're simply not part of the culture. Ghosts are a much more popular topic to make supernatural drama out of. If you want to watch some English or American vampire drama, I can also recommend some.
Werewolves also don't have any base in any Asian country. The Asian version of a "werewolf," or a creature like it, is the nine tailed fox.

For some reason the only shows/movies about nine tailed foxes I can think of off the top of my head are Korean.
Nine Tailed Fox
One of the stories in Hometown Legends.
The Fox Family - Movie

ethidda
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ethidda » May 19th, '09, 07:27

Puppet Princess wrote: Werewolves also don't have any base in any Asian country. The Asian version of a "werewolf," or a creature like it, is the nine tailed fox.

For some reason the only shows/movies about nine tailed foxes I can think of off the top of my head are Korean.
Nine Tailed Fox
The Fox Family - Movie
Ah, yes! I remember now! When there are animal/human transformations in Chinese stories, the animal is always the base, rather than the human. For example, in Madame White Snake, the woman is a snake who trained/meditated for thousands of years in order to become human-transformable. However, it takes great concentration and goodness in order for the gods to answer an animal's appeals, so they're usually good/decent people. And since wolves are wholly evil in traditional Chinese culture, that would explain the lack of werewolf stories.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » May 19th, '09, 07:44

ethidda wrote:
Puppet Princess wrote: Werewolves also don't have any base in any Asian country. The Asian version of a "werewolf," or a creature like it, is the nine tailed fox.

Nine Tailed Fox
The Fox Family - Movie
Ah, yes! I remember now! When there are animal/human transformations in Chinese stories, the animal is always the base, rather than the human. For example, in Madame White Snake, the woman is a snake who trained/meditated for thousands of years in order to become human-transformable. However, it takes great concentration and goodness in order for the gods to answer an animal's appeals, so they're usually good/decent people. And since wolves are wholly evil in traditional Chinese culture, that would explain the lack of werewolf stories.
Hmmm I suppose that means nine tailed foxes don't exist in China then. I've seen them in Japanese and Korean stories but could never recall seeing one in Chinese movies. The nine tailed fox is supposed to be evil is why. It likes causing trouble and tricking//killing people.

.Silent.

Post by .Silent. » May 19th, '09, 07:44

There is also korean mini drama about vampires - "Freeze"

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Freeze

But it was licensed and I can't find it anywhere :cry:

Neyjour

Post by Neyjour » May 19th, '09, 22:57

Thanks so much everyone! :-)

It's a shame there don't seem to be any with werewolves, but I'm happy to see there are some vampire ones. Several of these look really good!

Thanks for the offer of English/American titles, but I'm only looking for Asian. I've already seen just about every vamp/were movie and series that's been made in English. :P

I also found two other Asian movies that look quite good...The Twins Effect and Twins Effect 2. I've made a list in the first post of all the vamp titles that have been mentioned.

Thanks again! Keep 'em coming! :-)

vampire girlxx

vampire

Post by vampire girlxx » Aug 15th, '10, 15:44

i have seen rh plus ,koishite...n vampire knight...but i have heard there is vampire knight
for live action..can someone find it???
:-) :roll :wink: :notworthy:[color=indigo][/color][size=18][/size][/quote][/i][/b]

arakira
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by arakira » Aug 15th, '10, 16:54

As far as I am aware there is no live action don't think it's even planned,

Last Japanese vampire flic i heard about was last year's Blood (the one with Kaname Jun, not the LA with Koyuki)

I miss Kitamura Ryuhei's Longinus on the list above and if you're interested in B-movies there's some vampire stuff mostly from the 80ies around.

Oh and I remember a really funny Japanese Werewolf movie: Kibakichi something