DramaWiki - Information Repository for Asian Dramas UPDATE

Data, images, links, competition and er other stuff are here.
AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by AkumaX » Jan 30th, '09, 20:35

pictures would be nice as well to illustrate any ambiguities

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Feb 12th, '09, 05:14

DramaWiki has been inaccessible for some hours. According to Ruroshin the webhoster blocked all access to the wiki server for some reason. I don't know the exact details and I hope that the matter will be solved soon.
Maybe it's just some kind of misunderstanding. :scratch:

For the time being you can still access most of the wiki pages through Google's cache by doing a site specific search. For example, if you want to lookup information about DRAMA TITLE then enter "DRAMA TITLE" site:wiki.d-addicts.com in the Google search. Then click the Cached link for the search result.

roxygurl

Post by roxygurl » Feb 12th, '09, 05:56

tnx for the info. i thought my isp blocked the site!

SusieQ

Post by SusieQ » Feb 12th, '09, 11:00

Thanks for the update! I was wondering why DramaWiki (and FansubWiki too) had gone down all of a sudden today.

I hope it's resolved soon.

akamaya

Post by akamaya » Feb 12th, '09, 19:04

Who and why removed all the actor's pics in DramaWiki ??

Anyone knows something about this?

groink

Post by groink » Feb 12th, '09, 21:12

akamaya wrote:Who and why removed all the actor's pics in DramaWiki ??

Anyone knows something about this?
Need an example link. I'm seeing imagery of the artists just fine.

In some instances, an image sitting in cache may become corrupt. To fix this:

Let's say the article is:
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Endo_Kenichi

If the imagery doesn't appear, attach the "?action=purge" at the end of the URL. In this case:
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Endo_Kenichi?action=purge

The purge command forces MediaWiki to flush the cached page of the article and re-build from scratch. But PLEASE don't use the purge command on a regular basis. The idea of using the cached page is to help minimize CPU on the server.

--- groink

toyotaku

Post by toyotaku » Feb 12th, '09, 21:24

groink wrote:Need an example link. I'm seeing imagery of the artists just fine.
--- groink
I'm having the same issue, but it seems to be hit & miss. I randomly went through some drama & artist entries... a few images showed, but most came up with "Missing image" & the image name in place of the image itself. Examples... Sexy Voice & Robo and Toyohara Kosuke. Going down the first few on list of drama credits on Toyohara, the images are missing on all of those drama entries as well.

I just assumed it had something to do with needing to minimize the load on the server.

EDIT: Ah, but the images for Keishicho sosa ikka 9 gakari are showing. I'd missed that one when I was clicking title links.

akamaya

Post by akamaya » Feb 12th, '09, 21:40

I was getting this message in the pic's slot:

Missing image
EndoYuya-Profile.JPG
Endo Yuya

respectively at every artist, after the site was down, but after adding "?action=purge" at the end of the URL, as you said, indeed the images appeared again, so thank you very much for this hint. I thought all pics just disappeared and that would be sad... :D

By the way, just started to watch Churasan, and found in cast names that Endo Yuya was not credited for his role of Kazuya, instead was mentioned Suzuki Shogo, which was 6-7 years at the time of the movie. In this case, Shogo could be only the little brother of Eri, and Yuya should be Kazuya, cause he was 14 years old at that time. The same mistake is on jdorama.com - http://www.jdorama.com/drama.867.htm. And the little Eri was... who? I couldn't find her on cast list.

Thank you for help.

groink

Post by groink » Feb 12th, '09, 22:53

akamaya wrote:By the way, just started to watch Churasan, and found in cast names that Endo Yuya was not credited for his role of Kazuya, instead was mentioned Suzuki Shogo, which was 6-7 years at the time of the movie. In this case, Shogo could be only the little brother of Eri, and Yuya should be Kazuya, cause he was 14 years old at that time. The same mistake is on jdorama.com - http://www.jdorama.com/drama.867.htm. And the little Eri was... who? I couldn't find her on cast list.
If it isn't fixed by the time I get home, I'll make the changes. In the early days of DramaWiki, several editors were copying verbatim from JDorama.com, thinking that the older site was 100-percent accurate. That's really the problem with the Internet - bad information spreads because no one bothers to verify the information. I've also noticed the opposite nowadays - JDorama.com moderators copying cast listings from DramaWiki, when DramaWiki's article has mistakes. In a perfect world, both sites would practice original research, and hopefully help each other clear up any mistakes.

--- groink

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Feb 13th, '09, 10:32

Our server got hacked :x

Had to wipe the server and start from clean slate again using yesterday's db backup.

AkumaX
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by AkumaX » Feb 13th, '09, 17:59

:x :cussing: :thumbdown:

could this relate in any way as to why googlesearching d-addicts isn't working?

reei

Post by reei » Apr 17th, '09, 15:31

I read it and understand it ^^

I want to create an account to create page in ( Articles in category "Fansub Groups" )

^____^ ????

:-)

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Apr 19th, '09, 18:40

reei wrote:I want to create an account to create page in ( Articles in category "Fansub Groups" )
Welcome, this thread is for DramaWiki (and not for FansubWiki). I'll create you an account for FansubWiki. You should receive the details through email...

regards, MoerkJ :salut:

p.s.: the direction on the FansubWiki login page is "To register send an email to ruroshin [at] gmail [dot] com" :wink:

reei

Post by reei » Apr 20th, '09, 02:51

thaaank you MoerkJ ^____________________________^

thank you >>>thank you >>>thank you :cheers:

CookieBun

Post by CookieBun » Aug 6th, '09, 16:10

>.> Excuse me, sorry if I am posting in the wrong place, but something about the dramawiki has been bothering me. Some of the summaries given for the dramas are just misleading and it's been annoying me to know end. So is there a place I can ask for them to look them over, or do I have to ask for an account myself to be able to have them changed with a more fitting summary?

I know dramas are always featuring love, but not all series have it as its main focus. Altering the story's focus in the summary may attract most romance-loving fans, but it might disappoint those fans when they find out it's a different focus while at the same time driving away people like me who otherwise would have given it a chance.

It's just small thing, but it's bothering me so much >.>

Thank you. :)

RB

Post by RB » Aug 9th, '09, 00:24

Where one can discuss DramaWiki improvements?

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Aug 15th, '09, 10:53

RB wrote:Where one can discuss DramaWiki improvements?
What kind of improvements?

I've just updated the mediawiki software for DramaWiki to the latest version. I've also added the captcha and spamblacklist extension to it so I want to try opening up account creation to the public again. You can now create accounts without the need to email an admin.

Hanjae
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Hanjae » Aug 15th, '09, 13:51

I noticed that the upload function has been removed. It just so happens that I was in the process of creating a new drama page and went off to upload the main image when I discovered users (or I, at least) can no longer upload images. Is this a temporary thing or will it be permanent?

RB

Post by RB » Aug 15th, '09, 21:03

Ruroshin wrote:
RB wrote:Where one can discuss DramaWiki improvements?
What kind of improvements?

I've just updated the mediawiki software for DramaWiki to the latest version. I've also added the captcha and spamblacklist extension to it so I want to try opening up account creation to the public again. You can now create accounts without the need to email an admin.
Categories are barely used. Genres should be categories, using nationality to fine tune them. A JDrama category isn't that useful when inside you have 1,792 articles. What about more categories, like "highest rating" per season? Or in the case of actors and actress, talent agencies, award winners, hobbies, endorsements, etc?

Tables could be sortable with some tweaks, biography information could be put inside infobox-like templates, etc. While search works well enough for me, it is a pity so little MediaWiki extensions are being used.

groink

Post by groink » Aug 15th, '09, 21:33

RB wrote:Categories are barely used. Genres should be categories, using nationality to fine tune them. A JDrama category isn't that useful when inside you have 1,792 articles. What about more categories, like "highest rating" per season? Or in the case of actors and actress, talent agencies, award winners, hobbies, endorsements, etc?

Tables could be sortable with some tweaks, biography information could be put inside infobox-like templates, etc. While search works well enough for me, it is a pity so little MediaWiki extensions are being used.
In short:

1. We don't want DramaWiki to be a TV guide - and be used to figure out what to watch. DramaWiki is to be used as a reference for dramas. That's what the various D-Addicts forums are for - to discuss what's good and bad.

2. Categorizing by genre has been discussed many times. People just have a lousy eye for determining a genre for a certain drama. For some editors, everything is a rom-com. I have people on Wikipedia this very second who thinks any movie where someone does a martial arts move is a martial arts film.

3. IMO, ratings are bullshit. DramaWiki is for English-speaking people. It has been proven time and time again that ratings in the country of origin means nothing when it comes to the taste of westerners.

4. The editors are simple folks. We keep the pages very simple, and virtually free of templates and such. We picked our style for that reason.

Please read the style guide thoroughly. I've explain our reasons for many of the things we do there.

--- groink

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Aug 15th, '09, 21:45

Hanjae wrote:I noticed that the upload function has been removed. It just so happens that I was in the process of creating a new drama page and went off to upload the main image when I discovered users (or I, at least) can no longer upload images. Is this a temporary thing or will it be permanent?
The new version disabled upload by default. I've re-enabled it again.

groink

Post by groink » Aug 15th, '09, 22:08

Ruroshin,

I really don't see the reason to allow anons, and users to create their own accounts. Things have been running really smooth up to now. I would still like to see admins create the accounts. Just now reading the new account creations, some of them are really suspicious.

--- groink

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Aug 15th, '09, 22:26

It was mostly to make the lives of the admin easier. I will investigate the Confirm Account extension so that anons can create accounts but the admin will have to approve it before its active.

At the moment though I'm putting my effort into improving the performance of the wiki as its running like a snail right now.

RB

Post by RB » Aug 15th, '09, 22:50

Thanks for the answers. Was just wondering why so few features of MW were being used (guess you already noticed I am a Wikipedia user).

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Aug 16th, '09, 23:07

Ok, nice to see that Ruroshin upgraded the MediaWiki software from 1.4 (very old!) to the actual 1.15 ... If you notice any strange behavoiur of the wiki then feel free to message me. I'll try to fix that then. The wiki is very slow at the moment. Reason could be that a lot of pages have to be re-rendered and some info in the database is still being updated. I'll have an eye on it.

I just have fixed the access settings to the new syntax. So, anonymous editing is disabled again. To edit DramaWiki you have to create yourself an account. (Account creation is still open for all).

Regards MoerkJ (DramaWiki co-admin)

groink

Post by groink » Aug 17th, '09, 01:03

Can I make a suggestion? Disable new accounts for now, until the server performance issues have come back to normal? The combination of having to train dozens of newbies, along with the sluggishness of the server - it really doesn't benefit anyone or the cause.

--- groink

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Aug 17th, '09, 22:45

Thanks to Ruroshin the Wiki is running fine now. :cheers:

Btw, about nine images with unicode letters in their filename will not show up properly. I will re-upload them. If you see other things in the wiki that are broken or behave strangely, then please report here. Thanks.
:salut:

edit: FYI, you can rename (move) uploaded files now.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Aug 18th, '09, 16:42

I have a suggestion about "Title/Also known as" part.
Is it possible to add, lets say under a Japanese drama what the Chinese/Korean title is?

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Aug 18th, '09, 17:30

AFAIK, we (regular editors) have turned that idea down long ago. We list only the official title (incl. romanizations/transcriptions) and one or more popular, but often inofficial, english translations/AKAs.

An exception would be co-productions, for example and Japanese/Korean co-production with an official Japanese title and an official Korean title. There seem to be only very few co-productions. Another exception I know are Korean historical dramas, which often have the titles in Hangul and Hanja.

Inofficial translations in other languages, unrelated to the drama, would become endless. We had already people trying to add Vietnamese or Filippino(?) translations. What would be next? Perhaps Russian and Arabic translations? We don't want that. DramaWiki is for English readers. So the benefit of having other foreign titles is none.

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Aug 19th, '09, 10:32

I've added the Confirm Account extension to the wiki so now anybody can request to create an account via a form on the wiki, you enter a bit of information about yourself and what you're planning to edit etc. Then it will go into a queue to be either accepted or rejected by the wiki admins.

Wiki Administrators can you please check that you can see the Confirm account requests link under Users and rights on http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Special:SpecialPages

gryzze
Administrator
Administrator

Post by gryzze » Aug 19th, '09, 11:04

I can't see it Ruroshin. I have eight different options but not that one.

groink

Post by groink » Aug 19th, '09, 11:07

Ruroshin - you the man! Forget anything my imaginary friend ever said.

--- groink

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Aug 20th, '09, 18:30

I have cusomized the "request account formular" a little to make clear what kind of information we want from new users. The "Terms of Service" now links to a page that provides some information about DramaWiki is and what we require from our users.

We don't want any private information from our users, we just want to confirm that you want to contribute to DramaWiki as an editor. In the "real name" field it is ok to enter just your forename or a nickname. It is only used by the software to address you in the e-mails.

I will not approve any new users who cannot express their intentions to improve DramaWiki on one or two English sentences.

Regards, MoerkJ :salut:

groink

Post by groink » Aug 20th, '09, 23:00

The other thing I'm seeing a lot of out of the new accounts is a constant need to change the imagery - even perfectly good imagery is being replaced with crap. It seems that the imagery are more important for these people than the text, and most of the imagery changes lean towards the editor wanting to change the image every time the artist changes his hair style. I mean, give me a break - they're Eastern Asians! They really don't age that quickly.

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/DramaWiki:Style_guide

The guidelines in that link is very clear - DramaWiki is not a fan site. If you're a huge fan of a particular artist, you may not be the most objective candidate to be editing DramaWiki. We're looking for editors who will help out DramaWiki as a WHOLE, and not focus on just a handful of artists.

It also occurs to me that some of the new editors also edit Crunchyroll's wiki. The rules at DramaWiki are much more restrictive than Crunchyroll. Shinji @ Crunchyroll could care less about what you do to his wiki - while we at DramaWiki do care about our articles.

So please! Read the style guide and see what you'd be getting yourself into before signing up.

--- groink

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Aug 21st, '09, 02:07

ah, there is a way to fix this upload issue.
With the new usergroup scheme you can limit certain privileges (e.g. upload) of new accounts.

So, the privilege to upload files can be limited to users who have reached "autoconfirm" status.

Users reach that status after certains days and after making a certain number of contributions.

What period and edit count would you suggest? 1 day and 10 edits? more? much more?

groink

Post by groink » Aug 21st, '09, 04:32

MoerkJ wrote:ah, there is a way to fix this upload issue.
With the new usergroup scheme you can limit certain privileges (e.g. upload) of new accounts.

So, the privilege to upload files can be limited to users who have reached "autoconfirm" status.

Users reach that status after certains days and after making a certain number of contributions.

What period and edit count would you suggest? 1 day and 10 edits? more? much more?
I'm liking this new version of MediaWiki more and more with each passing day.

I ilke the idea of a combination of # days and # of edits. Three days and 10 edits would be a good start. It would deter those who want an account just to change an image. Three days would force them to wait it out. In the meantime, the quality of their 10 edits will allow the admins to determine if they're serious about DramaWiki. One or two days would be too little I think.

--- groink

Ruroshin
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Ruroshin » Aug 21st, '09, 09:43

gryzze wrote:I can't see it Ruroshin. I have eight different options but not that one.
You should get it now. I assigned the permission to the wrong group :P

janettd

Post by janettd » Apr 3rd, '10, 22:09

I don't nesssary want to become an editor for Dramawiki but I would like to
be able to leave info that is missing in wiki.
Would it be possible to make a sticky tread for us that see missing info but don't
want to get an account since our edits would be few and far apart.

To pm an admin feels wrong since the one I may pm may be up to their neck with
a lot of other things

And when the admin that has time to add info from the relevant post, it could be deleted
so that the sticky tread dont amount to hundreds of pages or several admins log in
on wiki to make the same edit.
Janett
-----------------------------------------------------------
I would like to add info about the actor Lee Jae Yong
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Lee_Jae_Yong

He played in Hello My Teacher
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Hello_My_Teacher
as Na Bo Ri's father who became a monk

and in Hot Blood
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Hot_Blood
as Song Man Deok - Legendary car salesmn

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Apr 25th, '10, 15:35

Is there a maintenance or problem with DramaWiki?
It's been loading very slow today.

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Apr 25th, '10, 21:09

I noticed that too. It definitely wasn't the server that lagged so much. It must have been the connection to our webhoster, I guess.

It looks like the wiki server is much faster now.

:salut:

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Apr 25th, '10, 21:11

Yes, it is, thank you^^
I was wondering why it lagged so much. I thought maybe it was my connection's fault.

Fantastical

Post by Fantastical » May 8th, '10, 14:06

Ethlenn wrote:Yes, it is, thank you^^
I was wondering why it lagged so much. I thought maybe it was my connection's fault.
It's not my fault. I just got back. I swear.. I leave..for a bit...change my OS to Win 7 my external crashes..I cry...sing a sad R&B song come back..and look at this...*tsk* *tsk*
come on fam...

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 8th, '10, 14:32

As you see, singing R&B songs only makes things worse... :twisted:

Fantastical

Post by Fantastical » May 8th, '10, 14:35

Ethlenn wrote:As you see, singing R&B songs only makes things worse... :twisted:
Nooope! Must have been Lee Jun Ki going to the Korean Army.
Women are crying and men are hoping for a Brokeback Mountain moment.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » May 21st, '10, 23:30

Hmm, if a drama is not on the list here does it mean I can upload it?
Because some dramas have the sign of YE entertainment, but are not on the list.

UsagiYojimbo
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber
Hungary

Post by UsagiYojimbo » May 22nd, '10, 13:33

I am not entirely sure, that I am writing in the correct topic...

I would like to create a scraper for XBMC, that looks up information of dramas from DramaWiki. And I thought I would ask permission first...

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 25th, '10, 16:45

And I have a one question, how long are we supposed to wait when the account will be created on DW?
Because I'm waiting almost 2 weeks..

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Jun 28th, '10, 13:44

Sorry, Ethlenn. Usually it doesn't take that long. I haven't had time to check DW for the last days. :sweat: I just noticed about 30 pending account requests of users who still haven't confirmed their email addresses yet. Just PM me your DW account name (or email address) and I'll check out if there went something wrong.

@all:
Please note that we only approve DramaWiki account requests of users who have confirmed their email address and expressed their wish to become an DramaWiki contributor in at least one or two proper English sentences (in their biography text). You don't have to reveal any personal (real life) data in your application bio.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Jun 28th, '10, 13:58

Thank you for solving this, MoerkJ :D

I know we are all busy here.

desert-raven

Post by desert-raven » Oct 27th, '10, 15:58

Hello,

I was curious why some dramas were missing from the wiki, examples off the top of my head are Ancient Dogoo girls, and Atsui zo. I would love to see a cast list, but I can't read from the Japanese sites yet. Is it just because no one has added them, or another reason?

Thanks very much!!

Dave.

dolsiman

Post by dolsiman » Oct 28th, '10, 16:42

Hello all
What happened?
Managed to get in d-addicts site, but everytime I click Drama Wiki I get redirected to a drug addict site!!!
the following caption:- This domain name expired on Oct 27 2010 03:48PM
Click here to renew it.
Hope that the wiki sector isn't hacked...the other sectors are OK.
:unsure: :unsure: :unsure:

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Oct 28th, '10, 19:19

As I mention on the Tech Support section, the d-addicts.com domain had expired yesterday and the domain registrar is trying to make money of the expired domain with a placeholder. Guess the ads company they use think Drug Addicts was the original propose of the site.

Anyway, I have no way of contacting the admin of the site. But he should figure out that he needs to renew the domain when he try to connect the site.

RetroHelix
Germany

Post by RetroHelix » Jan 2nd, '11, 21:09

Maybe this isnt the right place to write this but on this site http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Fayray its stated that Fayray sang the themsong hikaru for the drama: http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Waraeru_Koi_wa_Shitakunai Actually the song is called hikari (光) with an "I" not an "U" at the end.

EDIT: Sorry, looks like both is right :roll

lollercopter

Post by lollercopter » Apr 14th, '11, 08:24

I don't get why the wiki has to be so closed. My favorite actress' entry is very incomplete (as are many others), and I don't see anyone fixing it. If I wanted to do it I'd have to send an application. Forget it.

If you're going to run the wiki by yourselves, then I expect you to keep it updated. But you're not able to do that, so why not let people just register?

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Apr 22nd, '11, 13:27

All we want is one or two sentences in english language where you express your wish to contribute... nothing more. We don't want any private information or "curriculum vitae". This is only to prevent the creation bogus accounts or to keep vandals and spammers away.

MoerkJ :salut:

may9JHJ

Post by may9JHJ » Nov 6th, '11, 11:25

HI! Newbie here. I don't know if this is the right place to post these questions/requests, but I will ask/request anyway.

1. Where do I send a request to update JO HYUN JAE''s dramawiki account?

He is currently working on the Chinese drama 胭脂霸王 (Official English title: KING ROUGE; Literal Translation: ROUGE OVERLORD/ROUGE HEGEMON).

The drama will air on HSTV in February 2012.

2. Since 胭脂霸王 (Official English title: KING ROUGE; Literal Translation: ROUGE OVERLORD/ROUGE HEGEMON) is already listed in HSTV's drama lineup for 2012
can I request someone to update the list of upcoming Chinese dramas to include this drama?

3. Can I also request that a dramawiki account be created for this drama?

For more details here is the link to the drama's thread on soompi: http://www.soompi.com/forums/topic/3700 ... #33026;霸王/

4. Is it possible to include this info on the 49 Days dramawiki account?

Jo Hyun Jae contributed a song in the drama's OST. Title of the song is “단 하루를 살아도” (Even If I Live Just One Day).

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help me. :-)

odaesan

I want to fix the Korean Drama sections in the wiki.

Post by odaesan » Nov 16th, '11, 04:52

Like the title says, I want to fix the sections.

Here's the basic idea:

-Names by default will be in the Revised Romanization of Korean to show support and respect to the language and to the writing system which is derived from Chinese characters (Hanja) and known as Hangeul. (It's a big deal.) This won't affect some actors who have taken different romanizations to at first prevent confusion. For example, the "Jung Woo-sung" page will remain as the "Jung Woo-sung" page and it will not be transliterated to "Jeong U-seong" as RR states.

There will instead be a note stating that this name is romanized by RR as it is. For example, it will say "Name: 정우성 (RR: Jeong U-seong)."

For this, let's have some documentation and let's discuss it if it is too ambiguous.

Other names such as characters will be in RR to prevent confusion and to support the Korean language. For example, Jeong's character in "Athena: Goddess of War" is "Yi Jeong-u" but it states Lee Jung Woo.

If a character is shown with a different kind of romanization, it will be added to the side. I believe Seo Yu-gyeong in "Pasta" had her name written "Seo You-gyeong" or something similar. This would then go to the side like "Gong Hyo-jin as Seo Yu-gyeong (alt. Seo You-gyeong)".

The name for Han Seo-u in "Twinkle Twinkle" also would be "Han Seo-u (alt. Seo-u Lee)".

This brings me to the next topic regarding names in dramas. The default will be the names officially given by the companies which produce the dramas unless they greatly differ to the point in which most viewers wouldn't be able to recognize them. Therefore, "Twinkle Twinkle" becomes the title until DVD changes because it is a line included in the original title. Alternate titles from other countries are welcome in the "Also Known As" section.

- There are some issues with reviews.

Personal reviews on wiki pages are bad etiquette. Add a link to a personal review at the bottom of the page!

Wiki pages aren't for personal bias. They help other people remember or understand information faster than searching other places.

Poorly written reviews from other sites also are bad. If you can do better, please write one that has no bias yourself.

- If you are uncertain about Revised Romanization, you can send me a message.

- Does anyone have any suggestions? Please help and spread the word. Let's unify these pages.

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Nov 16th, '11, 07:26

At first, you're welcome to contribute as a DramaWiki editor. You can request an account if you don't have one. See the DramaWiki discussion thread for more details.

Regarding the romanization of Korean names...
As the DramaWiki guideline say the name profile format for Korean artist pages is:

"Name: <hangul> / <simple> (<revised>)"

i.e. it would be "Name: 정우성 / Jung Woo Sung (Jeong U Seong)" in your case

What I called here "<simple>" is of course debatable, because it is something we made up ourselves. See page DramaWiki:Korean Personal Names Romanization Preferences for details. We had a few discussions about romanization here in the forum and also in DramaWiki. I don't think there is a need for a big change. Also I know that some pages don't exactly follow the name formatting scheme and need to be fixed.

Regarding drama names... I guess this is difficult issue. AFAIK for many dramas exist no official English title because the shows are/were usually produced for the Korean market only. Many English titles are just inofficial translations or translations by 3rd parties. So, many dramas have different alternative titles. I tried to add the source for the titles on a few pages if known (i.e. KBS Global, KBFD-TV, YesAsia, etc.). See My Rosy Life for example. I guess, this could be improved on many pages.

Last one the reviews. These are a legacy thing. They should be either removed or perhaps moved to a linked subpage. In 2005 the reviews were actually the main reason to start the wiki. We had a small reviewer team and we transferred the reviews from the forum to the wiki. The whole idea died after about 15-20 reviews, or so. The original reviews still exist in the forum and could be linked to. We don't need them in DramaWiki anymore as it contradicts the NPOV idea.

odaesan

Post by odaesan » Nov 16th, '11, 09:06

Thank you for the response.

I will take a look at the guidelines to see what went wrong and to be within bounds. I think I'll start an account next week when I'm not busy.

The "simple" isn't quite the "simple" so would what would we call it to make it under their chosen romanization? Could it be "chosen" because people think their own romanization is what goes there? Revised actually goes A B-c while most people think it's A B C.

Regarding drama names, for this I think RR would be perfect. Under regular Korean, they do not change and RR will reflect it. If an alternate name is used in there like "[First name] Lee", then we can add that. I think this would be great if it is incorporated as part of the format. It will be easier to follow this than a "Hyunsu" which could be spoken as "휸수" or "현수" to someone who wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Yes, the names get messy, but my suggestion is that we take the names given to us and not personal opinion. We are given "Twinkle Twinkle" for "반짝반짝 빛나는" to reflect "반짝반짝" in the title from MBC. I have not seen a "Sparkling" one. Perhaps we can have a thread dedicated to submitting alternative titles?

Can the reviews be gathered into a thread of some sort which also is accessible by wiki links?

Thanks again for the response.

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Nov 16th, '11, 11:40

What I called simple romanization here is more or less what existed before South Korea introduced the revised romanization in 2000. The old (simple) romanization was commonly used outside Korea and I call it "simple" (or simplified) for technical reasons because it doesn't use special letters (breves and aphostrophes). In fact it may be confusing because it is more pronounciation oriented and it is not suitable for "backwards" transcription. I'm not a language expert. You can read more on Wikipedia.

For drama titles I'd prefer RR for transcriptions. Maybe for all text, except for names. For names I'd list both transcriptions. Unfortunately, official(!) name transcription can be RR or "simplified" or even a mix of both. There exist no real rules which is very unsatisfyingly IMHO. For artist page titles we usually chose the romanization that is used on the official artist homepages, if existant, or just what is most commonly used (on the internet). If there is any doubt, then using the RR for an artist page is also fine.

Now some technical notes on wikis, specifically MediaWiki wikis...

In a wiki it is easy to change the page titles using the move feature. This way a page can have more than one title (=the displayed title). Page titles may change for several reasons. Artists may switch from real name to stage names and vice versa. Drama titles may change during the production process and so on. The only important thing is that the different names are listed and explained properly on each page.

If you find that a certain page title is incorrect or uncommon then you can always discuss this on the article's associated discussion page (talk page). For example, if you think that "Sparkling" should not be the page title for the drama "반짝반짝 빛나는" ("Banjjak Banjjak Bitnaneun") then you can always discuss it on its talk page your just rename it as you wish.

regarding the reviews...
I just noticed that at least some reviews were removed from the forum. So we'll probably keep them on separate wiki pages like we did for Seikei Bijin. The separate subpages will be put into a review category for easy accessing. Until then you can use the Google search inside DramaWiki to find them.

odaesan

Post by odaesan » Nov 16th, '11, 20:21

MoerkJ wrote:What I called simple romanization here is more or less what existed before South Korea introduced the revised romanization in 2000. The old (simple) romanization was commonly used outside Korea and I call it "simple" (or simplified) for technical reasons because it doesn't use special letters (breves and aphostrophes). In fact it may be confusing because it is more pronounciation oriented and it is not suitable for "backwards" transcription. I'm not a language expert. You can read more on Wikipedia.

For drama titles I'd prefer RR for transcriptions. Maybe for all text, except for names. For names I'd list both transcriptions. Unfortunately, official(!) name transcription can be RR or "simplified" or even a mix of both. There exist no real rules which is very unsatisfyingly IMHO. For artist page titles we usually chose the romanization that is used on the official artist homepages, if existant, or just what is most commonly used (on the internet). If there is any doubt, then using the RR for an artist page is also fine.

Now some technical notes on wikis, specifically MediaWiki wikis...

In a wiki it is easy to change the page titles using the move feature. This way a page can have more than one title (=the displayed title). Page titles may change for several reasons. Artists may switch from real name to stage names and vice versa. Drama titles may change during the production process and so on. The only important thing is that the different names are listed and explained properly on each page.

If you find that a certain page title is incorrect or uncommon then you can always discuss this on the article's associated discussion page (talk page). For example, if you think that "Sparkling" should not be the page title for the drama "반짝반짝 빛나는" ("Banjjak Banjjak Bitnaneun") then you can always discuss it on its talk page your just rename it as you wish.

regarding the reviews...
I just noticed that at least some reviews were removed from the forum. So we'll probably keep them on separate wiki pages like we did for Seikei Bijin. The separate subpages will be put into a review category for easy accessing. Until then you can use the Google search inside DramaWiki to find them.
Oh, you may be referring to the Yale Romanization. It also has some problems because it is much more difficult to learn how to say those. I didn't study it, but I see that "eo" from RR is transcribed as "e" and "e" is "ey" so that would confuse many since the Revised is written closest to the pronunciation. What is commonly used is a combination of both, but this of course, is at the user's discretion so it causes many different romanizations which do not all agree.

I totally agree with the second paragraph. :-)

So we could have two pages on the same person such as (non-actor) Yi Seung-yeol who happens to have something like 4 "official" transcriptions and it would be updated to the current one?

OK, the renaming of pages would be a great thing to do, but wouldn't people not check the talk pages all the time?

That's great. The legacy still is there and it doesn't need to take up half the page.

Thank you again for the responses.

groovadelickun

Post by groovadelickun » Nov 24th, '11, 21:54

UsagiYojimbo wrote:I am not entirely sure, that I am writing in the correct topic...

I would like to create a scraper for XBMC, that looks up information of dramas from DramaWiki. And I thought I would ask permission first...
I know I'm replying to a very old message, but am wondering if anything came of this?
Thanks!

UsagiYojimbo
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber
Hungary

Post by UsagiYojimbo » Jan 10th, '12, 14:23

groovadelickun wrote:
UsagiYojimbo wrote:I would like to create a scraper for XBMC, that looks up information of dramas from DramaWiki. And I thought I would ask permission first...
I know I'm replying to a very old message, but am wondering if anything came of this?
Not yet... :scratch:

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Nov 18th, '12, 15:00

Just wondering if the server change will affect the URL from DramaWiki in some way? Will there be a new URL or stay the same?
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/ (Read only at the moment)
And the new temporary? URL http://46.165.216.86/~wiki/wiki/

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Nov 19th, '12, 18:29

http://46.165.216.86/~wiki/wiki/ is the temporary url of the new wiki server.
The old wiki server will disappear soon and the old address is used for the new one.
So, you can keep using the old address when linking to DramaWiki.

I'll have to ask Ruroshin how to do the DNS migration, or... if I have to do it myself at all. :scratch:

--MoerkJ :salut:
Last edited by MoerkJ on Nov 19th, '12, 18:33, edited 1 time in total.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Nov 19th, '12, 18:30

MoerkJ wrote:http://46.165.216.86/~wiki/wiki/ is the temporary url of the new wiki server.
The old wiki server will disappear soon and the old address is used for the new one.

I'll have to ask Ruroshin how to do the DNS migration, or... if I have to do it myself at all. :scratch:

Thank you for the answer. :)

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Nov 21st, '12, 01:35

Update
The wikis are now reachable under their old address again.

http://wiki.d-addicts.com
http://fansub.d-addicts.com

If your name server is still pointing to the old server then you can "force" the new address by adding the following two lines to your hosts file:

Code: Select all

46.165.216.86   wiki.d-addicts.com
46.165.216.86   fansub.d-addicts.com

Tsunku

Post by Tsunku » Nov 22nd, '12, 00:48

tried that but it keeps putting me back to the old wiki, the new wiki keeps giving me 404 not found?

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Nov 22nd, '12, 11:46

If you save your hosts file under windows with notepad editor then:
  • Make sure that you save a file named "hosts" and not "hosts.txt"
  • Also some anti-virus tools may block modifications of the hosts file. You have to turn off disable the av-tool when you save the hosts file.

uladelz

Post by uladelz » Nov 30th, '12, 10:14

still unable to edit dramawiki....last recent changes 16 november?

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MoerkJ » Dec 4th, '12, 10:25

uladelz wrote:still unable to edit dramawiki....last recent changes 16 november?
I don't know where your problem is. :scratch: DramaWiki operates normally since 21st November. If you see DramaWiki with a red infobox on every page then you are accessing the old server which is still available read-only. Here are some more hints to fix your problem:
  • first, clear your bowser's cache
  • don't use a web-proxy. instead configure a direct internet connection in your browser
  • use proper DNS servers in your network config, maybe use free nameservers (see setup guide)
  • to avoid any DNS server problems you can add the wiki server IP to your computer's hosts file (see above)
  • make sure you don't have the old server IP (89.149.226.178) in your hosts file anymore
check your network configuration, with ipconfig command under windows, to see if you have configured any DNS server(s)

C:\>ipconfig /all

Windows IP-Konfiguration

Host Name. . . . . . . . . . . . . : windows
        Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
        Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
        IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . : No
        WINS-Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter LAN Connection::

Connection specific DNS Suffix:
        Description. . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
        Physical Address . . . . . . : 00-BB-CC-DD-EE-FF
        DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . : No
        IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.50
        Subnet Mask. . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
        Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1
        DNS Server. . . . . . . . . . . . : 68.1.208.30
test if your DNS server works (using nslookup command) and gives 46.165.216.86 as response, like this:

$ nslookup wiki.d-addicts.com
Server:         68.1.208.30
Address:        68.1.208.30

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:   wiki.d-addicts.com
Address: 46.165.216.86
try to ping the wiki server and check if your computer connects to 46.165.216.86

$ ping wiki.d-addicts.com
PING wiki.d-addicts.com (46.165.216.86) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 46.165.216.86: icmp_seq=1 ttl=64 time=0.016 ms
64 bytes from 46.165.216.86: icmp_seq=2 ttl=64 time=0.015 ms
64 bytes from 46.165.216.86: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=0.028 ms
64 bytes from 46.165.216.86: icmp_seq=4 ttl=64 time=0.021 ms
^C
--- wiki.d-addicts.com ping statistics ---
4 packets transmitted, 4 received, 0% packet loss, time 3504ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.015/0.020/0.028/0.005 ms

uladelz

Post by uladelz » Dec 24th, '12, 15:05

it seems like my computer saving it as the old ip 89.149.226.178

how do i change it to 46.165.216.86?

EDIT: Nevermind, fixed already :cheers: thanks a lot

seppydude

Post by seppydude » Jun 2nd, '13, 17:54

UsagiYojimbo wrote:
groovadelickun wrote:
UsagiYojimbo wrote:I would like to create a scraper for XBMC, that looks up information of dramas from DramaWiki. And I thought I would ask permission first...
Not yet... :scratch:
Not yet as in no one has gotten back to you with permission, or you've not created one?

I, too, would be extremely interested in such a scraper. In fact, I'm tempted to look into how to create one and do it myself.

Huh... it's just XML and Regex. I'm even more intrigued.

Keiko1981
Administrator
Administrator
Sweden

Post by Keiko1981 » Jun 2nd, '13, 17:56

I noticed a possible error on the Wiki page of Yae no Sakura:
http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Yae_no_Sakura

The family name of the "Yamagawa" clan.
On English Wikipedia it says Yamakawa, I did also check the Japanese Wikipedia.
Example - Yamagawa?/Yamakawa Kenjiro.
山川 健次郎 (やまかわ けんじろう)

MoerkJ
Administrator
Administrator

re: Yae no Sakura page

Post by MoerkJ » Jun 23rd, '13, 09:53

well noticed Keiko1981, how about getting a DramaWiki account? :wink:

You can ask such questions directly on the respective discussion page. (Every wiki page can have its own discussion page.)

And if you are (quite) sure that this is an error then you can change it yourself. You don't need to be an expert to contribute to DramaWiki.

To me it looks, like many active wiki editors don't read the forum. And unfortunately only a few forum users seem to contribute to DramaWiki. :|

Getting a DramaWiki account is very easy. Just open the account creation form and say in field A that you want an account (e.g. "I want to become a DramaWiki editor because ...bla bla..."). You may state in field B anything you don't want to make public (e.g. your forum name or other personal stuff). I will approve accounts ASAP. (It may take a few hours or even a few days sometimes.) The whole procedure is just to block spam bots away to keep the wiki clean.

Link: DramaWiki account creation form
Attachments
DramaWiki account creation form example
DramaWiki account creation form example
Request account form AB.gif (37.41 KiB) Viewed 48314 times