Best "2nd male lead gets the girl" drama?

Discuss about anything here that doesn't fit in the other categories. Just don't spam.
Faewolf

Best "2nd male lead gets the girl" drama?

Post by Faewolf » Oct 14th, '08, 16:57

After watching so many dramas where the 2nd lead guy, who after cheering up the lead girl/supporting her has to give her up again because he is not her "true love" ( the guy who takes just about the whole entire drama to appreciate her :roll ) I was wondering what everyone would recommend as to a good "2nd guy gets the girl" drama?

I adore Taste Sweet Love, where the leading guy finally saw what he was missing but by that time the girl had moved on. The poor 2nd lead is always left in the dust it seems, so when they do get the girl I always have to cheer for them :cheers:

Any more dramas like this out there? Any type is fine be it Japanese, Chinese, Taiwan, etc.

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Oct 14th, '08, 17:09

I'd be interested in seeing drama like this too. I almost always like the Second Guy better (pretty much the only exception being Goong, where Yul was a sorry bastard), but I know they'll never get the girl so I shouldn't waste my energy cheering them on.

Faewolf

Post by Faewolf » Oct 14th, '08, 17:14

yeah, lol, i know i shouldn't cheer for the second guy when in many dramas you can guess the outcome from just watching a few beginning episodes but i still foolishly hold onto the hope that the lead girl will get a clue and go for the better 2nd guy :wub:

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Oct 14th, '08, 18:58

The reason they are the 2nd lead is because they usually don't get to win.
The only one I can think of where it does a 180 on you is Peach Girl (Taiwanese drama).

Dream guy versus supportive buddie. The buddie guy, while making his feelings obvious the whole time, helps her get her dream guy. But after she gets her dream guy, she wants her friend more.

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Oct 17th, '08, 20:31

The only dramas in which I was cheering for second guy were Bull Fighting, Bad Family, Over The Rainbow, Smile Again and Witch Yoo Hee. It was so unfair in Bull Fighting, the second guy was so much better and ah, so sad he didn't get the girl cuz his love was so much greater! Though I'm still not finished with this one. In Witch Yoo Hee the main guy was boring and useless. In Smile Again Lee Jin Wook won over Lee Dong Gun (sorry pal) with his amazing acting so I liked him more even when he turned bad. In Bad family the main guy was too old and in Over The Rainbow Rex was just better match that's all.

Usually I'm pretty satisfied with the main guy.
I adore Taste Sweet Love, where the leading guy finally saw what he was missing but by that time the girl had moved on. The poor 2nd lead is always left in the dust it seems, so when they do get the girl I always have to cheer for them
The guy was so foolish xD Though I actually liked both guys but Lee Wan was so much hotter <3 though I still think Yeon Jung Hoon and Kim Jung Hwa would have been better match. but they didn't have the chemistry <_<

I dunno how much Peach Girl follows the manga but I actually like the story. Buddie guy was so much better choice.

The only drama I can think about is Soulmate. Though I still haven't finished it.

I'm Sorry I Love You is like that too but "get happily together" ... dream on, I would like to see that too. I still cannot say they didn't get together. It's very similar with Taste Sweet Love in one thing: the guy notices what he has lost TOO late.

Other suggestions would be: My Love Pazzi, My sister in law is 19, Sang Doo! Lets' go to school! (but yeah "happy")

Japanese: Hotaru no Hikari, Kimi wa Petto, Long Vacation, To Heart

Taiwanese: The Magicians of Love

but yeah "second lead guys"

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Oct 17th, '08, 20:52

lol My Love Pazzi is a cop-out though. Technically neither the lead male or the second male win.

vivilp182

Post by vivilp182 » Oct 17th, '08, 21:20

I think I've never watched a drama that the second guy gets the girl.... The drama that I was really cheering for the 2nd guy was My girl.

Is the taiwanese version of Peach Girl worth watching?
I've never got to finish the manga... she ended with Kairi right?

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Oct 17th, '08, 21:42

I've never read the manga or seen the anime... so with a completely solitary view on Peach Girl TW, it's not too bad. Even though Vaness is in it, it's not very idoly. It's pretty serious the whole time. The other guy is a tad boring though.

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Oct 17th, '08, 21:44

Ah, I watched Peach Girl anime and it was so frustrating! I have no idea why in the world I ever finished that thing. Anyways, is the drama as bad? I've been thinking about watching it, but I'm still hesitating. It even has the icky Vanness Wu in it.

I wouldn't count Soulmate or Kimi wa Petto in this category, since the guys they ended up with totally were the main leads. (hmm... this thread is a bit spoilerish, don't you think? :P)

zooey
Philippines

Post by zooey » Oct 17th, '08, 22:45

Puppet Princess wrote: The only one I can think of where it does a 180 on you is Peach Girl (Taiwanese drama).

Dream guy versus supportive buddie. The buddie guy, while making his feelings obvious the whole time, helps her get her dream guy. But after she gets her dream guy, she wants her friend more.
I have to agree on this one. It was one of those 11th hour revelations when the girl suddenly had a change of heart. Unfortunately, it looked a bit forced and contrived. It's quite an anomaly really, in the sense that I knew the plot was trying to build up the switch of emotions but somehow it didn't do the trick for me. The only drama that veers close that comes to mind is the kdrama "Prince's First Love" wherein the male lead got the girl by sheer uhm... tenacity (for lack of a better word) and this "inevitable" event doesn't even become apparent till the last episode. I call it an anomaly because I've never seen a male lead try so hard (and fail miserably) to win the girl's affection.
SSpiegel wrote:Ah, I watched Peach Girl anime and it was so frustrating! I have no idea why in the world I ever finished that thing. Anyways, is the drama as bad? I've been thinking about watching it, but I'm still hesitating. It even has the icky Vanness Wu in it.
Ugh... I saw Peach Girl (Taiwanese drama) and I was painfully annoyed. A big part of it was because Vanness Wu was in it. He had shoulder length hair then which contributed to an unflattering self-consciousness that greatly affected his acting. I kinda felt that he moved his head too much and each gesture was accented by a hair toss. He also had this bad habit of running his hand through his hair every time he puts on a different expression. So I guess what I'm saying is watch at your own risk. Lol.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Oct 17th, '08, 23:21

Yeah... that's true. Not that Vaness' character didn't do more than enough to earn winning her over... she seemed to have no reaction to his gestures at all until out of no where she's like, Okay I change my mind...
That was the main quirk with the show. I really wasn't expecting her to change her mind because she practically ignored him.

.... And the hair... >_< why did he even leave his hair down if it annoyed him that much? It looked better when he had it up anyways.
SSpiegel wrote:(hmm... this thread is a bit spoilerish, don't you think? :P)
lol Well it's sort of a recommendation that can't be given without revealing how the show ends, isn't it?

JKH

Post by JKH » Oct 17th, '08, 23:47

Oh this is such a good thread topic! ^^ I ALWAYS think the same thing!!!!!!

But I don't think such a show exists...yet! Haha... :cry:

I watched Taste Sweet Love and Peach Girl...and for some reason, I felt like even though you doubted it, inside you could tell who the girl would pick. Oh wait! I think there's a Taiwanese Drama called Lover of Herb where the girl picks the second guy...but I didn't watch it so I can't say for sure. ^^;;

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Oct 18th, '08, 12:56

zooey wrote: the male lead got the girl by sheer uhm... tenacity (for lack of a better word)
:offtopic: So, I got this undescribable hate for ISWAK. The female lead is annoying, not very attractive (neither in looks nor in her behaviour) and stupid (intellectually and emotionally), but, since she's so... tenacious (for lack of a better word :P ), she wins (read: exhausts) him over. The morals of the story: don't worry if your dream guy doesn't like you and thinks you're ugly and stupid; if you stay in close proximity to him for years, he'll start to think of you as a part the scenery and thus "like" you since it would be weird without you.

Ahhhh, so good to get this off my chest.

maakopla

Post by maakopla » Oct 18th, '08, 18:04

I wouldn't count Soulmate or Kimi wa Petto in this category, since the guys they ended up with totally were the main leads. (hmm... this thread is a bit spoilerish, don't you think?
Yeah but main girls kept dating another guy alongside the show so actually they ended up with "second guys" and it was kinda similar to Taste Sweet Love (at least in my opinion) bcoz Lee Wan was totally main lead too. So hot <3
lol My Love Pazzi is a cop-out though. Technically neither the lead male or the second male win.
LOL! But everyone knows that she ended up with KRWs character. I wish the ending would have been more clear though <_<

off topic talk continues:
So, I got this undescribable hate for ISWAK. The female lead is annoying, not very attractive (neither in looks nor in her behaviour) and stupid (intellectually and emotionally), but, since she's so... tenacious (for lack of a better word ), she wins (read: exhausts) him over. The morals of the story: don't worry if your dream guy doesn't like you and thinks you're ugly and stupid; if you stay in close proximity to him for years, he'll start to think of you as a part the scenery and thus "like" you since it would be weird without you.
I feel the same. The manga was more bearable because it was manga and it was pretty fun too. But I hate Ariel Lin more than anything in the world!!!! and gotta say she suited her character pretty well in the drama LOL she looked so dumb! Her character was dumb but suddenly it was annoying to watch Ariel's face too. Double irritation. At least manga didn't have Ariel Lin in it!!!!

While talking about ISWAK. I was so rooting for Jiro all the time <_< btw. In both HanaKimi I was rooting for Nakazu all the time, Mizuki had more screen time with him in Jdarma. it was so unfair. I will always be rooting for Nakazu. If I was the mangaka I would have let mizuki end up with Nakazu no matter what. I love Nakazu. I will always root for him. Am I annoying? lol and sorry for being superficial but he is soooo ugly and he cannot act at all <_<
A big part of it was because Vanness Wu was in it.
I so understand you. I share your thoughts comrade!!!! I haven't seen Peach Girl yet (tried to watch anime but it was so similar to manga so I gave up... I dunno why but I liked the manga a lot. I even bought it.) anyways. WANNESS WU SHOULD DIE! I saw him in Meteor Garden and then read from dramawiki that it was his debut and made him popular (among WHO?!! May I ask??!!) He is in Wish to see you again drama but I haven't seen him yet. Thanks god. I think he will make me hate that lovable show too T_T
He also had this bad habit of running his hand through his hair every time he puts on a different expression.
I so remember Meteor Garden now... those minutes of torture. At least they had Jerry Yan and Vic Zhou... Thank you heavens.

gohan11

Post by gohan11 » Oct 18th, '08, 18:41

maakopla wrote:
I wouldn't count Soulmate or Kimi wa Petto in this category, since the guys they ended up with totally were the main leads. (hmm... this thread is a bit spoilerish, don't you think?
Yeah but main girls kept dating another guy alongside the show so actually they ended up with "second guys" and it was kinda similar to Taste Sweet Love (at least in my opinion) bcoz Lee Wan was totally main lead too. So hot <3

If by "second guy" you mean story wise then alot of dramas have the girl end up with the "second guy", but if you mean the "second guy" like the guy who isn't the main male character then finding a drama like that is next to impossible.

hacksign

Post by hacksign » Oct 18th, '08, 19:10

Honestly, that sounds like bad planning to me. You typically have a good idea of who is gonna in end up with who right from the beginning. Thus, it seems that the only way that the girl could get together with the Secondary Guy and we can still call him the Secondary Guy would be when the writer has a sudden change of heart in the middle---

Love & Fight (J): The best friend just had that secondary guy feel for most of beginning but there was also the sense that he could take over the lead which he did. I still feel that he would be called a secondary guy cause he was barely noticeable in the beginning.

Peach Girl (TW): This is a pretty obvious one especially for people who already read the manga. The second half of the series is called "Change of Heart." However, I admit that it was more so expected to happen in the drama then it was in the manga.

Sweet Spy (K): I could swear this was just bad planning as I was watching it. I kept on feeling that it was leaning one way and when the opposite happened it was like *shock* So for a while there I was in denial, thinking she would switch over eventually... -_-;

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Oct 18th, '08, 19:41

hacksign wrote:You typically have a good idea of who is gonna in end up with who right from the beginning.;
Ahh, but wouldn't it be nicer if you didn't? I'm not saying I hate predictability (since you can't avoid it if you want to watch pretty much anything), but it'd be nice if there was a little surprise here and there. The girl going for the guy that is actually nice and done nothing but trying to prove his love for her... I'd like that.
I'm watching Que Sera Sera right now, and even tho I have this dreadful feeling it's going to end like the majority of dramas, I'm interested in seeing how they sell another "swinging" without making me hate this drama.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Oct 18th, '08, 19:59

Actually Que Sera Sera is a drama that makes a good point here... SSpiegel don't read this yet or you'll hate me lol
It's the reason the second guy can't win in most situations. The girl can say, "I love this guy, but it wont work and causes too much pain. So I'll be with the sweet, easy guy who loves me." Even if she DOES love the second guy she still either 1) can't get rid of the feelings for the first guy. or 2) he will always think she loves the first guy. That was exactly what happened to their marriage in QSS. She cared about her husband even though he was the second guy. She was even going to have his baby. But he didn't trust her and didn't believe it was his baby. And what happened in the end? He looses his baby, he looses his wife, he looses everything. That is the issue with being the second man. You are paranoid as hell. lol

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Oct 18th, '08, 20:05

You have no idea how hard I want to click that "show" button.

I'm getting outta here. I need to occupy myself with something else. -_-

zooey
Philippines

Post by zooey » Oct 19th, '08, 01:05

SSpiegel wrote: The morals of the story: don't worry if your dream guy doesn't like you and thinks you're ugly and stupid; if you stay in close proximity to him for years, he'll start to think of you as a part the scenery and thus "like" you since it would be weird without you.
DItto! Proximity is the kiss of death. It's a drama device that never fails... a certified way of beating an aloof and arrogant character into submission. Sorry to go off topic as well, but I have to share your sentiment. I hated ISWAK with a vengeance.
maakopla wrote: He is in Wish to see you again drama but I haven't seen him yet. Thanks god. I think he will make me hate that lovable show too T_T
Don't worry, Vaness was surprisingly tolerable in "Wish to See You Again". I think he only shows up in 3 episodes and it was the first time that I didn't want to hang him by the hair and whack him like a piñata.
Puppet Princess wrote:
It's the reason the second guy can't win in most situations. The girl can say, "I love this guy, but it wont work and causes too much pain. So I'll be with the sweet, easy guy who loves me." Even if she DOES love the second guy she still either 1) can't get rid of the feelings for the first guy. or 2) he will always think she loves the first guy. That was exactly what happened to their marriage in QSS. She cared about her husband even though he was the second guy. She was even going to have his baby. But he didn't trust her and didn't believe it was his baby. And what happened in the end? He looses his baby, he looses his wife, he looses everything. That is the issue with being the second man. You are paranoid as hell. lol
Interesting observation. I do however think that the 2nd guy had reason to be paranoid since (1) the first guy was in close proximity and (2) the girl didn't really have any closure to the relationship with the first guy.

Puppet Princess

Post by Puppet Princess » Oct 19th, '08, 01:28

zooey wrote:
SSpiegel wrote: The morals of the story: don't worry if your dream guy doesn't like you and thinks you're ugly and stupid; if you stay in close proximity to him for years, he'll start to think of you as a part the scenery and thus "like" you since it would be weird without you.
DItto! Proximity is the kiss of death. It's a drama device that never fails and a certified way of beating an aloof and arrogant character into submission. Sorry to go off topic as well, but I have to share your sentiment. I hated ISWAK with a vengeance.
Not alone. We have a we hate Ariel/ISWAK club. I mean what is that story? She stalks him like a crazy person because she has no life. Her only ambition was getting him. (she doesn't actually WANT to be a nurse) He hates her the whole time. Then he gets what he wants (her to go away) and he suddenly is passionately in love with her? That girl really just needed to get a life. That's what mad it so creepy. Persistently chasing after someone is not bad. But when everything you do is based off of another person (it's even creepier when it's a person you aren't dating) you are just this side of making hair dolls.
zooey wrote:
Interesting observation. I do however think that the 2nd guy had reason to be paranoid since (1) the first guy was in close proximity and (2) the girl didn't really have any closure to the relationship with the first guy.
True. But then QSS had one of the most messed up story lines ever. It's TV so most of the stories have similar situations where it would be hard to believe they could all live happily and see each other. I can't help but think if QSS would have been different if they moved right after getting married. If they left the country sooner would he have trusted her more and would she have loved him more?
Usually when the second guy looses he disappears so he doesn't have to be around the happy couple. I think for a second guy to win the first guy would have to do the same.

Phillykat

Post by Phillykat » Oct 19th, '08, 01:34

Great topic. I almost always like the 2nd lead female and sometimes the male. I'm not sure why. I think they only exception is Tatta Hitotsu no Koi. I didn't think any dramas existed with the lead not getting the girl or guy. I've put Taste Sweet Love on my list to watch.

sosushi2

Spring Days

Post by sosushi2 » Oct 19th, '08, 01:38

By far not a favorite drama of mine, but Spring Days has that kind of ending.

zooey
Philippines

Post by zooey » Oct 19th, '08, 01:55

Gosh, you're right about "Spring Days". I didn't like that it was a bastardized version of "Hoshi no Kinka" but this kdrama definitely fits the bill.

SSpiegel

Post by SSpiegel » Oct 20th, '08, 22:01

zooey wrote:
Puppet Princess wrote:
I finally managed to finish the damn thing, so here are my thoughts:
Seeing how messed up this drama was, making any rational points is futile, but I'll do it anyway.
I agree that jealousy might be a problem for the second guy, but in this case the second guy was batshit crazy. Even if Tae Joo was hanging around them all the time and ogling his wife, Eun Soo gave no reason for Joon Hyuk to be that jealous. She asked him many times if it was okay to get married even if she couldn't give him her heart. She gave the relationship her all and made it clear to Tae Joo that she wanted nothing to do with him. Everything happened so quickly that neither Joon Hyuk or Hae Lin gave them time to recover, and you can't switch off emotions just like that. It was their greed that messed the whole thing up.
Anyway, in this drama, both the lead guy and the second guy were sorry bastards and I wish they would've rotted and died alone. (that bastard Joon Hyuk, redeeming him in the end and everything. I won't accept it!)

biniBningPunkista

Post by biniBningPunkista » Oct 20th, '08, 22:53

this is kind of weird, if 2nd guy gets the girl... then the 2nd guy becomes the 1st guy now and the 1st guy turns to be 2nd guy. right?

oh well.

try Hotaru No Hikari. it was a cute 1st and 2nd guy thing. although you wouldn't know who the real 2nd guy is until the latter episodes.

tisa

Post by tisa » Oct 20th, '08, 23:14

If you want unpredictable watch Purple love. You couldn't know who the main girl will end up with for a long time.

nozomi05

Post by nozomi05 » Oct 20th, '08, 23:49

the series that i was hoping the 2nd guy would get th girl were "my girl" and "goong". i was hoping won bin won song hye kyos heart in autumn fairy tale just because won bin was soooo hot!!! i love him

tantricia44

Rival guy never get's the girl! If not why are they casting

Post by tantricia44 » Dec 15th, '13, 03:04

Really,really cute rival guys. Sprout is a really good example the lead was short & looked like the twin sister of his love in tended.But the rival dude was a total wow!Passionate love is another example in the teen epi lead looked like a total dweeb & rival looked hot! In the adult epi lead turned into a hottie but still acted like dweeb& rival stilled good looking but started acting like psycho-stalker which was his character is suppose to develop anyway!So, glad I'm not the only1 who sees this.Thought it was just me.maybe the people heading auditions are just plan blind! Lol!

Myxale

Post by Myxale » Dec 15th, '13, 20:06

Dunno if already mentioned, but:

K-Drama 'Accidental Couple' comes to mind.
Starring Hwang Jung-min and Kim Ah-joong

Public-Servant (post-office) Guy gets the hot Actress instead of her first love guy Mr.Big Money.

This is as close as it gets.