Starting Date: January 2008
Official Site:
Cast: Tamaki Hiroshi, Ayase Haruka
Info: http://www.sanspo.com/geino/top/gt20071 ... 10608.html

veracious

Post by veracious » Jan 4th, '08, 10:42

Nobody's looking for this?!

:(

I guess that means nobody will sub it, either...

lunargen

Post by lunargen » Jan 4th, '08, 10:49

it starts airing at jan 17th. and siantut will sub it. ^^b

veracious

Post by veracious » Jan 4th, '08, 10:50

lunargen, thanks sooo much for the info. ^^;

Exciting~

nalika

Post by nalika » Jan 13th, '08, 19:52

siantut will be subbing it the person subbing Nodame speacial...

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Jan 13th, '08, 20:31

I'm really looking forward to this one. Looks like a good cast, and the premise seems unique to say the least. :lol

Tamaki Hiroshi is one of my favorite actors. So funny and easy on the eyes too. :wub:

TabooxNightmare

Post by TabooxNightmare » Jan 16th, '08, 14:11

So much of Tamaki this month! I hope a lot of people will watch this, if only for the "unique" plot - I must say, I'm intrigued - I don't know what to think about it, really :)
But Tamaki as a good for nothing - WIN! Such a change after Chiaki-sempai :D

wachi

Post by wachi » Jan 18th, '08, 01:48

Ratings for episode 1: 13.0%
I was 1percent off. :mrgreen:

Yorokobi

Post by Yorokobi » Jan 18th, '08, 11:15

i found the first episode to be a bit average
it was funny at times especially the biginning
but i hope it picks up a bit

seaweed

Post by seaweed » Jan 20th, '08, 14:46

I watched this just now and I just didn't get it. The deers and all is cute but the drama is slow... both actors are good but the plot didn't hold for me. Maybe I'll try 1 more episode before deciding whether to drop it.

harukaya

Post by harukaya » Jan 21st, '08, 19:19

i agree with the previous two posts. the story is kinda slow. there is nothing that strikes out from what was supposed to be a 'unique' plot. and Tabe Mikako (the girl who plays Ito) generally annoys me.

i'm only watching it because of tamaki and ayase! i'll give it one more episode! :roll

siantut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by siantut » Jan 25th, '08, 14:19

The reason why this dorama looks slow is because the actions are more in the words being said. Therefore, unless one really understands 100% of what is being said, it is a difficult drama to understand. This drama is taken from literature, that's why. It was nominated for the very prestigeous Naoki Prize for literature in Japan for year 2007, though it lost to another novel. As to myself, I am really glad I picked up this drama. I really like it and think this is a very intelligent piece of writing. It is a combination of imagination, intellect, and ironic or black humor. It reminds me of the age of Absurdism in Europe. However, it is not everyone's cup of tea, so if some people don't like it, I completely undestand that. I suggest at least you watch 2-3 episodes *with subs* first, before dropping it. If the scriptwriter or director fail to bring the novel to life, then it is really a pity. The people who gave reviews on the novel said that it is very interesting. I read that the novel might be more interesting if made into a drama (with CG ability). Let's see how it will go.

Sorry that I am rather slow with the sub, I have just recently finished Nodame SP so I took a break for a while.

ailahai

Post by ailahai » Jan 25th, '08, 16:35

siantut wrote:The reason why this dorama looks slow is because the actions are more in the words being said. Therefore, unless one really understands 100% of what is being said, it is a difficult drama to understand. This drama is taken from literature, that's why. It was nominated for the very prestigeous Naoki Prize for literature in Japan for year 2007, though it lost to another novel. As to myself, I am really glad I picked up this drama. I really like it and think this is a very intelligent piece of writing. It is a combination of imagination, intellect, and ironic or black humor. It reminds me of the age of Absurdism in Europe. However, it is not everyone's cup of tea, so if some people don't like it, I completely undestand that. I suggest at least you watch 2-3 episodes *with subs* first, before dropping it. If the scriptwriter or director fail to bring the novel to life, then it is really a pity. The people who gave reviews on the novel said that it is very interesting. I read that the novel might be more interesting if made into a drama (with CG ability). Let's see how it will go.

Sorry that I am rather slow with the sub, I have just recently finished Nodame SP so I took a break for a while.
that's ok for us... take your time and rest fully... otsukare for subbing nodame SP and happy new year.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Jan 25th, '08, 19:34

siantut wrote:The reason why this dorama looks slow is because the actions are more in the words being said. Therefore, unless one really understands 100% of what is being said, it is a difficult drama to understand. This drama is taken from literature, that's why. It was nominated for the very prestigeous Naoki Prize for literature in Japan for year 2007, though it lost to another novel. As to myself, I am really glad I picked up this drama. I really like it and think this is a very intelligent piece of writing. It is a combination of imagination, intellect, and ironic or black humor. It reminds me of the age of Absurdism in Europe. However, it is not everyone's cup of tea, so if some people don't like it, I completely undestand that. I suggest at least you watch 2-3 episodes *with subs* first, before dropping it. If the scriptwriter or director fail to bring the novel to life, then it is really a pity. The people who gave reviews on the novel said that it is very interesting. I read that the novel might be more interesting if made into a drama (with CG ability). Let's see how it will go.

Take as much break as you need. Nodame SP was lots of work. I'm just sitting back and taking it easy, not jumping to conclusions about the show without seeing it subbed.

I enjoyed lots of what I saw in episode 1, but there was lots that went over my head. That's why I'd already decided to wait for subs before forming an opinion, so I've been waiting to post. I found his bad luck moments to be funny. So far, I'm considering this one intriguing.
I'm curious about that monster we've been seeing the fin of, as well as the deer and what they want from him. Figures that's the stuff where I understand the least Japanese. LOL

The parallels between his character and Ayase's are cute. And I get a good laugh out of the scenes like where he proposed to the other girl only to learn she wanted to marry the guy he hates. The flashback to his bad luck as a kid, and his train travels were funny too.

Mostly, I'm struck by how stunningly beautiful Nara is. It's gorgeous, and I would think it must be incredible to film in such a location. It feels like the episode is laying groundwork, even if I don't understand it.

And, I don't know if anyone else here has ever seen the anime BlueSeed, but
When they were looking at the little jade stone and stringing it, I suddenly had this moment of thinking....

"Hey, they found Momiji's mitama!" LOL

siantut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by siantut » Jan 26th, '08, 22:58

Episode 1 is uploaded now. Enjoy and have a good weekend!
http://www.d-addicts.com/forums/viewtop ... 432#973432

@Ailahai and Ryoko11, thank you! :-)

noop

Post by noop » Jan 26th, '08, 23:53

waiting to watch this :D
thanks for the sub too

untitledmelody

Post by untitledmelody » Jan 27th, '08, 11:10

:lol This drama sure has many deer in it! That one that follows Ogawa around is freakishly pretty. :blink

I do think that Tamaki could work a little more at being more natural when acting. No offense meant, I'm a fan of his too. There's always room for improvement. :-)

blablabla

Post by blablabla » Jan 27th, '08, 15:47

I agree the first 2 episodes have been a bit slow...but I don't know why I feel like it will soon break into something really crazy, so I keep watching...and looking forward to it. I am sure the pace will increase soon
actually I bet it will already start as soon as next week with the Kendo competition where we will learn more about the kitsune and nezumi...(fox and mouse)

kiddygrade

Post by kiddygrade » Jan 31st, '08, 17:02

I watched ep 1 and I find it both interesting and intriguing. And I will definitely continue to watch it ! Just a question, if anyone can answer? What does "aniwoyoshi" mean? Especially, the "wo" puzzles me, as this character is normally never used in modern japanese words (or I am mistaken)…

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Jan 31st, '08, 19:51

kiddygrade wrote:I watched ep 1 and I find it both interesting and intriguing. And I will definitely continue to watch it ! Just a question, if anyone can answer? What does "aniwoyoshi" mean? Especially, the "wo" puzzles me, as this character is normally never used in modern japanese words (or I am mistaken)…

Since the drama wiki says it's also known as The Fantastic Deer-Man, I've been figuring it means fantastic. But I'm sure that siantut and others would be able to tell you for certain.

I've now seen the first two episodes subbed, and I like this series a lot. It hasn't been constant slapstick comedy, but I think that the comedy mix so far has suited the story. Sometimes it's wry, sometimes it verbal, sometimes it's slapstick... but it works for me. I think it's made me laugh at least as much as I have at Hotaru no Hikari, for example.

I also feel it does deliver on a unique plot. More unique than I originally gave it credit for. Admittedly, I enjoy shows and movies that build out of old legends and folklore (not just Japanese legends either). So that is another really strong hook, and the supernatural touches are always good. In fact, as far as the major story goes, this series is made of awesome so far. It's gotten me very interested in the legends that the show is building upon.
It's actually rather engrossing checking out some of the old legends and connections that Japan has about catfish and earthquakes. Obviously, I could be opening myself up to a nest of spoilers, but lots of this info is probably known by Japanese viewers already. Some of the namazu-e (catfish pictures) from after the Ansai Edo quake are fascinating. And all the social upheaval and change of that era and it's expression through the namazu-e makes it even more curious where they might go with this drama as far as its "message" goes. Especially since they went out of their way to make a connection with that particular quake in the first episode.

For anyone interested in more info about namazu:

http://www.east-asian-history.net/textbooks/172/ch8.htm
and another interesting blurb:
http://web-japan.org/nipponia/nipponia3 ... mal01.html

I'm super curious about how they're going to address the Kashima deity in coming episodes too. He's been mentioned a lot, but nobody has as of episode 2 addressed his role in holding down the namazu with the foundation stone.

Not sure exactly how this reimagining of the legends is gonna go, but it's got a lot to speculate over already.
Last edited by ryoko11 on Feb 7th, '08, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.

blablabla

that's classical japanese

Post by blablabla » Feb 1st, '08, 03:44

awoniyoshi is an expression often used in classical poems (in the Manyoshu for example).
According to my classical japanese to modern japanese dictionary, awoniyoshi is a poetical way to talk about Nara and it's surroundings.
(awoni is a color of pigments that was born in Nara)

So the accurate translation of the title would rather be : the deer man from Nara.
But I guess since the reference to the old japanese legends is not obvious in english, they chose to use "the fantastic deer man" to make it clear.
that's all folks!
:salut:

siantut
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by siantut » Feb 1st, '08, 12:21

I have wanted to explain this in my subs but it is too long so I can't.

To be more detailed, awoniyoshi is a makura kotoba or pillow word usually used in waka or Japanese poems, and it is usually 5 syllables. Literally, it means ao (blue), ni (purple-red) and yoshi (a kind of reed) and it is usually used to add color pigments of clay in Nara. In short, the color of Nara is of blue-purple (blue-red). Awoniyoshi itself does not mean Nara. In itself, it is supposed to have no meaning in a poem, but it is used to precede the topic of Nara in waka. So the title "shikaotoko awoniyoshi" is like a part of a waka/poem. The first line and the line written after the awoniyoshi do not have to be closely related, and this awoniyoshi is the word that is connecting the two lines while adding/deepening the emotion or imageries in the waka itself as a whole. After the "awoniyoshi" part, the lines thereafter should talk about Nara.

shi-ka-o-to-ko (5 syllables)
a-wo-ni-yo-shi (5 syllables)
some-talk-con-cern-ing-na-ra (7 syllables)
etc

So what the author basically wanted to say in the title is: "The Deer-man...OK from now on I will talk about Nara as our subject, OK? Please tune in."

If we wanted to talk about Nara, we could say:
fu-ji-do-ra-ma
a-wo-ni-yo-shi
then we talk about Nara here.

kiddygrade

Post by kiddygrade » Feb 1st, '08, 17:11

Thanks, blablabla and Siantut, for your answers, now I can fully understand and appreciate this title :)

wenhaz

Post by wenhaz » Feb 3rd, '08, 10:52

siantut wrote:I have wanted to explain this in my subs but it is too long so I can't.

To be more detailed, awoniyoshi is a makura kotoba or pillow word usually used in waka or Japanese poems, and it is usually 5 syllables. Literally, it means ao (blue), ni (purple-red) and yoshi (a kind of reed) and it is usually used to add color pigments of clay in Nara. In short, the color of Nara is of blue-purple (blue-red). Awoniyoshi itself does not mean Nara. In itself, it is supposed to have no meaning in a poem, but it is used to precede the topic of Nara in waka. So the title "shikaotoko awoniyoshi" is like a part of a waka/poem. The first line and the line written after the awoniyoshi do not have to be closely related, and this awoniyoshi is the word that is connecting the two lines while adding/deepening the emotion or imageries in the waka itself as a whole. After the "awoniyoshi" part, the lines thereafter should talk about Nara.

shi-ka-o-to-ko (5 syllables)
a-wo-ni-yo-shi (5 syllables)
some-talk-con-cern-ing-na-ra (7 syllables)
etc

So what the author basically wanted to say in the title is: "The Deer-man...OK from now on I will talk about Nara as our subject, OK? Please tune in."

If we wanted to talk about Nara, we could say:
fu-ji-do-ra-ma
a-wo-ni-yo-shi
then we talk about Nara here.
I've wanted to find out what that means too, and just finished watching the preview, where they explained the meaning to it as well. It makes it more clearer for me now with your explanation! Thanks again Siantut! :D

TabooxNightmare

Post by TabooxNightmare » Feb 7th, '08, 11:31

Thank you, ryoko11!
I was very much interested in the background, too.
Maybe people are a bit undecided about this drama since you have to be a bit of a geek to fully appreciate it since it's a bit slow.
But I still think that it's great from the comedic aspect, too.

noop

Post by noop » Feb 7th, '08, 13:08

saintut's sub really makes me enjoy this dorama :D

ailahai

Post by ailahai » Feb 7th, '08, 16:12

noop wrote:saintut's sub really makes me enjoy this dorama :D
Yes... I agree. The way he/she sub really makes me laugh hard. And I really like chemistry between Tamaki-san and Haruka-chan in this drama. Nice pairing.

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Feb 7th, '08, 19:36

Siantut and Blablabla:

Thanks for the explanations of Awoniyoshi! I knew somebody here'd be able to explain it to us. Very cool info. The title choice for this series really suits it perfectly. It's a little poetic, a little historic, and seems to have some careful thought behind it.
TabooxNightmare wrote:Thank you, ryoko11!
I was very much interested in the background, too.
Maybe people are a bit undecided about this drama since you have to be a bit of a geek to fully appreciate it since it's a bit slow.
But I still think that it's great from the comedic aspect, too.

LOL Enjoying folklore, fairytales, and snippets of history probably helps a little. It's sorta like how we all get to geek out over the mechanics of timetravel while discussing a timetravel drama. But in this case the info we're talking about is a bit more practical... at least to those of us who are interested in Japanese culture and history, and it's kinda hard to be interested in Jdramas without being interested in either Japan's culture or history.

I think this show is great from the comedy aspect too. The interaction between the leads is really cute. :wub:

Anyhow, on to talking about ep. 03
Love how the episode addressed my question from episodes 1 and 2 by laying out the role of the Kashima deity and the animal messangers. It also gives us a timeline and some of the mechanics for the supernatural elements in the series.

Once again, I found some stuff to look up online and found two really interesting pieces referencing the Hoei eruption and the earthquake that preceded it at the end of that October.

Short but interesting pdf that mostly talks about the Hoei eruption and disasters associated with it:
http://www.airies.or.jp/publication/ger/pdf/06-2-05.pdf

2 page Nat. Geo. article from 2006 talking about how Fuji is closely monitored, potential for damage from the next eruption, and how it could be set off by a major quake ala the Hoei eruption:
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... -fuji.html

Also a quick note connected to the Great Hoei Earthquake and subsequent tsunami:
1707 Great Hōei Earthquake (宝永大地震)
Oct 28 of the Hōei era, 8.4 Quake and Tsunami 25.7 m high at Kure, Kochi Prefecture. More than 29,000 houses in total wrecked and washed away and about 30,000 deaths. In Tosa, 11,170 houses washed away and 18,441 persons drowned. About 700 drowned and 603 houses washed away in Osaka. 20 m high at Tanezaki, Tosa, 6.58 at Muroto. Hot springs at Yunomine, Sanji, Ryujin, Seto-Kanayana (Kii) and Dogo (Iyo,145 days) stopped.
source:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Historic_t ... 9.9C.87.29

Anyhow, I find it interesting how Ogawa was speaking about the quake being the rats' fault during that 60 year interval and that Osaka is listed among the main places damaged by the disaster.

I'm still questioning the identities of the messengers for some reason, though that triangle certainly seems like it the correct item. And I'm seriously curious about Hotta's relationship to the deer. From the coming attractions it looks like the show is moving pretty quickly now.

Noi

Post by Noi » Feb 9th, '08, 06:36

Does anybody else here believe that Hotta has something to do with the whole deer thing? Maybe it spoke to her too?

Gosh, I just love Ayase Haruka's character so much... not only is she friggin' adorable, but I also learn something new every episode because of her :D

Also, Fukuhara-sensei never fails to crack me up. Specially when he began laghing in episode 4 :lol

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Feb 10th, '08, 06:22

This is such a delightful story to follow, like The Sinking of Japan, only more exciting because of all the animal spirits and deities.

I'm watching ep4 now. So far my favourite part has to be from ep3 when Ogawa explains to Fujiwara, and the rest of us, the whole incredible tale. I think if somebody came to me with that kind of story I wouldn't know whether to laugh or cry.

Oh yes, Ayase Haruka is excellent in this role. It says in her interview on the official website that the director (?) simply told her to be herself, so it makes me wonder whether she too likes to do things like change the subject quickly.

ailahai

Post by ailahai » Feb 11th, '08, 06:14

i'm already watch episode 4 and it was most funniest episode... i'm laugh very hard in this episode. thank you siantut-chan for delighted my weekend. i'm really appreciate your hard work. hontou ni arigatou gojaimasu.... :wub: :wub: :wub:

hakuharu

Post by hakuharu » Feb 12th, '08, 15:35

Hello, I also just watched ep 4 and thought that was a good one. Thanks to siantut for the excellent and often comical translations :cheers:
I think, the tension is rising nicely within the deer / fox / rat trio.
Although the drama might be slow paced it's very intriguing to me... The characters have good chemistry and interactions. Hopefully Ogawa will get a little bit of Fujiwaras more outspoken nature and will take more responsibility.
Makes you wonder, if you were thrown into such unlikely events, would you believe it and would you take responsibility or hesitate?
Another plus is Nara! Nara really makes a beautiful scenery :wub:
About the Deer and Hotta - well, maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but isn't she the main deer? The one speaking to Ogawa? Although speaking with a male voice, the deer is female, I believe. And both don't like Ogawa and said so. Everything Hotta knew the deer would have known. And Hotta decided to join the kendo cup after the deer learned that this was their last chance to get the sankaku. Maybe I'm wrong here?
Thanks for all the interesting explanations and links so far from everybody here! :-)

kiddygrade

Post by kiddygrade » Feb 12th, '08, 17:50

hakuharu wrote:
About the Deer and Hotta - well, maybe I'm jumping to conclusions, but isn't she the main deer? The one speaking to Ogawa? Although speaking with a male voice, the deer is female, I believe. And both don't like Ogawa and said so. Everything Hotta knew the deer would have known. And Hotta decided to join the kendo cup after the deer learned that this was their last chance to get the sankaku. Maybe I'm wrong here?
That was exactly my opinion as well, but... let's wait and see. Anticipation is part of the pleasure, is it not?

By the way, my favorite kendo player is definitely Sakura-chan! She is sooooo beautiful!
I would have liked to console her when she sprained her ankle, poor thing!

harukaya

Post by harukaya » Feb 23rd, '08, 23:41

just finished ep 6..now i can't wait for ep 7..aghhh. i'm now addictive to this drama!!!! :D
is nagaoka sensei really kitsune? ... why wouldn't she admit it if she was..

somehow i think koucho sensei is nesumi :lol
[he was removing things at the first party when ogawa sensei was supposed to get the sankaku from the nesumi and he just have all these small acts that eventually add up to my guess]

concertmistress

Post by concertmistress » Feb 25th, '08, 04:00

harukaya wrote:just finished ep 6..now i can't wait for ep 7..aghhh. i'm now addictive to this drama!!!! :D
Same here :w00t:

One of the most creative and imaginative plots I've seen in a Japanese drama/movie in years :thumleft: I've not been so looking forward to watching a drama every week since Nodame Cantabile.

Noi

Post by Noi » Feb 28th, '08, 06:16

Loved the latest episode. There was something so romantic about it :wub:
Ogawa amuses me to no end. He likes Nagaoka sensei, totally wants to date her, and once he does go out to dinner with her, Fujiwara Michiko is all he talks about. :P

Even though Nagaoka treated him like he was a pervert (LOL, Horny Man) , he was still sure she is the fox, but I don't see why he'd keep on thinking that after what happened.

I guess next episode we'll finally find out about Hotta's connection to the deer. If she also has the same problem as Ogawa (her face turning into a deer's), then I can see why his somewhat thoughtless "What a terrible face" comment hurt her.

Also, I can't be the only one convinced that there's something fishy about the principal (I love that actor to pieces... his character in Bijou ka Yajuu was awesome). Maybe he's the rat messenger? :crazy:
Anywayz, thanks to siantut for the awesome subs.

joeboygo

Did I hear it correctly?

Post by joeboygo » Feb 28th, '08, 10:41

In the preview for next week's episode...
Hotta asks Ogawa sensei to give her the "eyes!" :O
Theories anybody? Personally, I think it has to be a red herring. They wouldn't give away something big like that in a preview. Or would they?

lzydata

Re: Did I hear it correctly?

Post by lzydata » Feb 28th, '08, 14:34

joeboygo wrote:In the preview for next week's episode...
Theories anybody? Personally, I think it has to be a red herring. They wouldn't give away something big like that in a preview. Or would they?
This is the preview for ep7 right?
Well I thought she just said me wo tojite kudasai, "close [your] eyes". So Hotta seems to want to show Ogawa-sensei something. For sure Hotta has some mysterious connection to the deer which I am dying to know; perhaps it's like Noi said, that she has the same deer-head problem as him. Why she wants to quit school is a mystery though.

This is an amazing show. So many dramas fizzle out within a few episodes, but this one just gets more and more intriguing. I wish people would be more daring and tell stories like this rather than stick with the safe genres. Maybe I'm just jaded.

The way they lighten the mood with the romance angle to things is also consistently excellent. I liked how in ep6 Fujiwara went all over Fukuhara after he heard that Ogawa was still out dating Nagaoka and went yaru na :P. "What's 'well done'?!... Where is he?! Who's he with?!" All in all, it's very touching how Fujiwara can't see his deer-head nor talk to the deer herself, but nevertheless completely trusts what Ogawa says.

But as fun as it all is, I find myself losing track of the story. So... Ogawa has been chosen as the Deer deliverer, and he's supposed to receive the Eye - or Eyes - at Kyoto's "Ko no Ha" from the Fox messenger. However, the Rat deliverer misled the Deer, by telling him the Eye is a 'triangle', and stole the Eye. The questions to be answered are:

- Who is the Fox messenger? Why is Ogawa now (ep6) certain she is Nagaoka after all?
- Who is the Rat deliverer? So it's not Nanba-sensei? Also, what does the Rat want with the Eye(s)?
- What is/are the Eye(s)?
- Hotta's connection to all this

So far so good?

concertmistress

Re: Did I hear it correctly?

Post by concertmistress » Feb 28th, '08, 18:24

lzydata wrote:
joeboygo wrote:In the preview for next week's episode...
This is the preview for ep7 right?
Well I thought she just said me wo tojite kudasai, "close [your] eyes". So Hotta seems to want to show Ogawa-sensei something. For sure Hotta has some mysterious connection to the deer which I am dying to know; perhaps it's like Noi said, that she has the same deer-head problem as him. Why she wants to quit school is a mystery though.

This is an amazing show. So many dramas fizzle out within a few episodes, but this one just gets more and more intriguing. I wish people would be more daring and tell stories like this rather than stick with the safe genres. Maybe I'm just jaded.

The way they lighten the mood with the romance angle to things is also consistently excellent. I liked how in ep6 Fujiwara went all over Fukuhara after he heard that Ogawa was still out dating Nagaoka and went yaru na :P. "What's 'well done'?!... Where is he?! Who's he with?!" All in all, it's very touching how Fujiwara can't see his deer-head nor talk to the deer herself, but nevertheless completely trusts what Ogawa says.

But as fun as it all is, I find myself losing track of the story. So... Ogawa has been chosen as the Deer deliverer, and he's supposed to receive the Eye - or Eyes - at Kyoto's "Ko no Ha" from the Fox messenger. However, the Rat deliverer misled the Deer, by telling him the Eye is a 'triangle', and stole the Eye. The questions to be answered are:

- Who is the Fox messenger? Why is Ogawa now (ep6) certain she is Nagaoka after all?
- Who is the Rat deliverer? So it's not Nanba-sensei? Also, what does the Rat want with the Eye(s)?
- What is/are the Eye(s)?
- Hotta's connection to all this

So far so good?
I thought that's what Hotta said as well. My speculations are:

- Ogawa is certain Nagaoka is the Fox messenger because she's the only person he knows that fits the 3 criteria. There're just so many major female characters in the show so one can probably draw his/her own conclusion via process by elimination.
- I think the rat messenger is either the vice principal (who asked Ogawa to help him moved a round object to the car in ep. 2) or probably Nagaoka.
- the deer has been commissioned to do this ritual for 1800 years, so I suspect the 'eye' is probably an antique object. I think the trip to Aska in ep. 4 provided a big clue as to its identity, the identity of the female at the beginning of ep. 1, and also why if the vice principal is NOT the rat messenger then his real intention of wanting to gain possession of the 'eyes'.
Last edited by concertmistress on Feb 29th, '08, 01:33, edited 1 time in total.

joeboygo

Post by joeboygo » Feb 28th, '08, 18:41

Argh! My listening skills still suck.Thanks for clearing it up Izydata. I haven't re-watched it with the subs yet, but at least when there's a show like this (and the nifty new Japanese subs Rokonoko grabs from the cc) it doesn't feel as much like study work.

Yes I agree with you, this show bears many fine touches that betray its roots in a serious literary work. But it doesn't wear its highbrow origins on its sleeve and its characters remain accessible on a personal level. I would dearly love to read the untranslated original novel someday.The narrative style reminds me of a certain South American genre of blended fantasy/reality called (what else) Magical Realism, pioneered by the likes of Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Jorge Luis Borges, where metaphor and exposition were indistinguishable (but in a good way). I wonder if Shika Otoko is part of an indigenous Japanese version of that movement.

Noi

Post by Noi » Feb 28th, '08, 22:57

Just finished watching episode 7.
So, two important things have been cleared up.

Hotta is also a messenger for the deer, and apparently the rat messenger is principal Oharida.

I didn't get if Nagaoka-sensei is the fox after all... maybe someone who watched could clear that up for me?

JC

Post by JC » Feb 29th, '08, 02:48

I'm loving this drama so far. Tamaki Hiroshi and Ayase Haruka are both awesome. The last 2 dramas I watched (and loved) were Nodame cantabile and Hotaru no hikari, so I'm thrilled to have a drama with these 2 as leads. It's great that it's being subbed so quickly too. :D

Tamaki Hiroshi looks so gaunt though, like he's lost loads of weight since Nodame cantabile. Maybe it's just me but he looks alot skinnier.

@ Noi...
I also think Hotta tied into the deer somehow. She actually does look like a deer with bangs. :lol

lzydata

Post by lzydata » Feb 29th, '08, 06:45

Noi wrote:Just finished watching episode 7.
So, two important things have been cleared up.

Hotta is also a messenger for the deer, and apparently the rat messenger is principal Oharida.

I didn't get if Nagaoka-sensei is the fox after all... maybe someone who watched could clear that up for me?
Well I feel stupid after watching this episode. It was so obvious who it is - in hindsight.
Well, Ogawa and Hotta do agree that the fox messenger just has to be Nagaoka. Also, as concertmistress said, there's no one else. But it's true that she hasn't admitted it herself.

I guess everyone has moved on to the next point of speculation: what role Fukuhara plays in this, if any. He's one mysterious fellow.

I appreciated the scene where Hotta sums up their roles and the state of affairs. So more precisely, Hotta is the deer messenger (tsukaiban) while Ogawa is the deer deliverer (hakobiban), the one who is meant to deliver the Eye(s) to Nara after receiving it from Nagaoka the fox messenger in Kyoto. The rat isn't supposed to play any part in this round of the cycle, but he/she/it got Oharida to successfully intercept the delivery, for purposes still unknown.

Can I now ask why the deer needs to appoint two people? Heh.
- the deer has been commissioned to do this ritual for 1800 years, so I suspect the 'eye' is probably an antique object. I think the trip to Aska in ep. 4 provided a big clue as to its identity, the identity of the female at the beginning of ep. 1, and also why if the vice principal is NOT the rat messenger then his real intention of wanting to gain possession of the 'eyes'.
Wasn't the female Ootsuka Nene? :P Seriously, I think you're right about Asuka, since they go back there in ep8. Looks like I need to rewatch ep4.
(Ogawa asks the deer to at least tell him what the Eye looks like.)

目だよ、先生。すべての答えはそこに含まれる。わたしが言えるのはそこまでだ。

It is the Eye, Sensei. All the answers lie in there. That is all I can say. - The deer, ep6, 33:28-37.

bussan

Post by bussan » Mar 1st, '08, 16:32

I haven't got a chance to watch ep 7 yet, but
I think the Eye has something to do with the antique mirrors that Ogawa & Fujiwara saw in Aska. Cos I remember when the vice principal asked Fujiwara about the trip, he seems very interested in what Ogawa thought about the mirror.

airskape

Post by airskape » Mar 2nd, '08, 12:16

so tempted to click the ep 7 spoiler tags..but i must resist! waiting for subs :D

ryoko11

Post by ryoko11 » Mar 3rd, '08, 02:30

I haven't seen 7 yet either, but
I also agree about the mirrors. Not only was Richard very interested in it, but also you use mirrors to see things... like an eye.

I have got one other suspicion about the fox messenger, but it's mostly a hunch. I think the lady who runs the restaurant/boarding house could be the fox messenger. First of all, she was the first person to warn them about Richard. Secondly, I find it suspicious that she has a fox on her menu. I'm still trying to figure out why Ogawa had to go to the teachers' meeting in Kyoto to get the eyes in that case though.

I always seem to have more questions than answers when it comes to this show, and I rather like that.

And I think Hotta probably does have a deer head after watching her looking at her reflection in the windows and her reaction to the terrible face comment.

concertmistress

Post by concertmistress » Mar 8th, '08, 05:21

Traditional Chinese softsubs for ep. 8 is out at:

http://bt.newsgroup.la/news.cgi?cmd=art ... 3708&utag=

Noi

Post by Noi » Mar 8th, '08, 06:19

Just finished watching episode 8:

Wow, a lot of things happened in this episode.
- The gang finds the "triangle"
- Fujiwara admits to Nagaoka sensei that she likes Ogawa.
- The deer finally speaks to Fujiwara (even if it is for like 2 seconds and nobody belives her)
- Nagaoka sensei admits that she is the fox messenger.
- Oharida reveals that he indeed is the rat messenger.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but Himiko would be the woman back in episode 1, right?

Here's some info on her:

Queen Himiko

It is interesting that for a mostly patriarchal society, one of Japan’s most powerful people in its earliest history was actually a woman. Queen Himiko was, by all accounts, a very strange woman who was more a spiritual leader than anything else. After all, whoever heard of any ruler who ruled their kingdom by speaking to the outside world through a proxy?

During the Yayoi period in the late 2nd and early 3rd century, Japan was a mass of many different kingdoms. Ancient Chinese texts describe that the strongest of these kingdoms of that time was the legendary Yamatai, a domain which was the centre of power in primitive Japan arguably centred on northern Kyushū. Yamatai was ruled by an unmarried shaman queen known as Himiko. In 238 AD Yamatai was even officially recognised by Wei China after Himiko sent a tribute to the Chinese emperor.

Queen Himiko was a mysterious leader who rose to power after years of warfare. She was said to have lived permanently in a fortress guarded by 100 men, and served by 1,000 women and a single male attendant. It was through this male attendant that she communicated with the outside world. She concerned herself only with spiritual matters, and her younger brother assisted her with ruling the country.

According to Chinese historians Himiko died in 248 AD at the age of 65. She was accompanied into the afterlife by 100 sacrificed slaves and chaos reigned after her death.

Source: http://www.discoverychannelasia.com/jap ... ndex.shtml
Pretty cool, huh?

hakuharu

Post by hakuharu » Mar 8th, '08, 15:42

I haven't seen ep 7 yet either, and I've resisted the spoilers so far :) so I can freely guess around :P
ryoko11 wrote:I haven't seen 7 yet either, but
(...)And I think Hotta probably does have a deer head after watching her looking at her reflection in the windows and her reaction to the terrible face comment.
Me too, I gave up on Hotta being the main deer,
because there were scenes where both acted simualtenously. So this is my next bet as well. Maybe she met main deer on her first day, that's why she was late and said something about a deer?

I also see the principal as extremely fishy, but I don't think he is a messenger of some kind... don't know why I think that... he seem's more like acting solo to me.

Although I think the real messenger is revealed in ep 7: Anybody in for Fujiwara being the rat messenger? Isn't she from Osaka? And didn't she plant the idea, that "me" is the sankaku? But she is absolutely not evil... Mo, I have to watch the first episodes again.
And then I thought about: What if the deer messenger has to grow up through his love/desire for the fox/rat messenger? And "me" is a treat in himself? Well, this works only if Fujiwara is rat messenger and Nagaoka is fox messenger. :goggle:
I :wub: this dorama :lol Yoroshiku!

Noi

Post by Noi » Mar 15th, '08, 21:17

Episode 9, omg.

- I totally knew that Nagaoka-sensei had the hots for Shige-san. Hotta is really perceptive and Ogawa's reaction is so hilarious after he finds out.

- Oharida finally shows his true colors, and we get to meet the rat! She sounds so treacherous, it's creepy.

- How cool was Hotta when she jumped in front of the train riding the deer to catch the "Eyes" that Oharida had tried to destroy?

- If I hadn't seen the previews for the next (and last) episode, I would've said that something changed in Ogawa when he asked Fujiwara to go with him to deliver the "Eyes". It's almost as though he finally understood something that was obvious.

So next episode will be the last one. It's too bad, I really love this drama. The previews freaked me out a bit, though. Correct me if I'm wrong (my knowledge of japanese is faily limited), but Ogawa is returning home, right? And there's something strange about Hotta. Could it be that she also has feelings for him?
BTW, Shikaotoko Awoniyoshi just won 3 awards at the 11th Nikkan Sports Drama Grand Prix:

* 11th Nikkan Sports Drama Grand Prix (Jan-Mar 08 ): Best Drama
* 11th Nikkan Sports Drama Grand Prix (Jan-Mar 08 ): Best Actor - Tamaki Hiroshi
* 11th Nikkan Sports Drama Grand Prix (Jan-Mar 08 ): Best Supporting Actress - Ayase Haruka

:cheers:

concertmistress

Post by concertmistress » Mar 16th, '08, 03:40

Noi wrote:Episode 9, omg.

- I totally knew that Nagaoka-sensei had the hots for Shige-san. Hotta is really perceptive and Ogawa's reaction is so hilarious after he finds out.

- Oharida finally shows his true colors, and we get to meet the rat! She sounds so treacherous, it's creepy.

- How cool was Hotta when she jumped in front of the train riding the deer to catch the "Eyes" that Oharida had tried to destroy?

- If I hadn't seen the previews for the next (and last) episode, I would've said that something changed in Ogawa when he asked Fujiwara to go with him to deliver the "Eyes". It's almost as though he finally understood something that was obvious.

So next episode will be the last one. It's too bad, I really love this drama. The previews freaked me out a bit, though. Correct me if I'm wrong (my knowledge of japanese is faily limited), but Ogawa is returning home, right? And there's something strange about Hotta. Could it be that she also has feelings for him?
BTW, Shikaotoko Awoniyoshi just won 3 awards at the 11th Nikkan Sports Drama Grand Prix:

* 11th Nikkan Sports Drama Grand Prix (Jan-Mar 08 ): Best Drama
* 11th Nikkan Sports Drama Grand Prix (Jan-Mar 08 ): Best Actor - Tamaki Hiroshi
* 11th Nikkan Sports Drama Grand Prix (Jan-Mar 08 ): Best Supporting Actress - Ayase Haruka

:cheers:
Previews in Japanese drama is notoriously deceptive; I won't read too much into it,
especially the scene with Hotta and Ogawa. :whistling:

BTW, I think the writer (most likely not the author of the novel) mixed up the lunar calendar with the western calendar. I don't think there's a 31st day in the lunar calendar and it certainly won't equate to western calendar's 10/31, as the TV broadcast would suggest.

Noi

Post by Noi » Mar 21st, '08, 06:19

UGH. The finale. I'm just so sad it's over :-(
- So they saved Japan. And it was pretty simple. Lots of light and beams and ****; pretty cool overall.
- I felt so sorry for Ogawa when the deer told him he wasn't going to get his face back. but it was so funny how Fujiwara grabbed the deer by the face and forced him to give her an explanation... he couldn't even believe it himself :lol
-So now there's nothing left of the awesome/confident/cool Oharida. He has turned into a nervous little man obsessed with some trasure or something... Himiko's grave? (help? XD)
- Ogawa shocked everyone when he announced he was returning home. I loved how the kendo club girls gave him shika senbei as a goodbye present.

- Ogawa and Fujiwara play matchmaker and get Shige and Nagaoka-sensei together... Nagaoka-sensei acted so nervous around Shige it was funny :lol

- Ogawa got kissed by two different girls in this episode. Fujiwara confesses to him, he makes up his mind and kisses her. At the end of the episode you can see that he is so in love with her (guh, that relaxed/relieved smile he gives her after Shige's final harrassment before he leaves the house... :wub: ) it doesn't even matter that Hotta kissed him on the train... and thanks to Hotta's kiss, he got his face back.

- Fujiwara and Ogawa meet up in Tokyo some time later and OMG HE BOUGHT HER A RING. And she would so say "yes" if she'd just let him speak and propose to her... :D

Anyway, the finale summed up things great, it wasn't too rushed, and everything just fell perfectly into place.

For anyone who's curious, I put some caps of the kissing scenes under the spoiler tag.
zOMG, drama-hug.

zOMG, drama-kiss.

Moar. (It's okay, Fujiwara-kun. I didn't think he'd kiss you either... I thought he'd only have the guts to hug you xD We are all pleasantly shocked.)

OH MAH. Another kiss.

What's gonna happen now?

A pretty wedding in Nara, of course XD
Anyway, my favorite drama of the season. I adored all the characters, Ogawa and Fujiwara and Shige specially. Shige is so awesome/creepy... I totally need a friend like him :lol Great cast, great story, grat script. More people need to watch this.

celticmoon

Post by celticmoon » Apr 1st, '08, 08:34

I didn't have the time to watch this drama during it's actual run, so I've been catching up by having my own little marathon. (I've watched up to episode 8 so far.) I really like it! I actually wasn't expecting too much from it, but it has a weird, yet interesting story with a good dose of suspense and funny moments. All of the actors/actresses play their parts well, and I love the music. It might be my favorite drama soundtrack after 'Sexy Voice and Robo.' I also just love the fact that the whole save-the-world (well, I guess it's actually more like save Japan) story happens on such a small scale. Haha, it's so great. Can't wait to see what happens in the last couple of episodes.

WinterParade

Post by WinterParade » Apr 15th, '08, 03:35

It's too bad that this wasn't that popular because it was a really fun drama to watch.
The whole storyline with the catfish, deer, fox and rat was crazy! Tamaki Hiroshi is hilarious when his eyes go all wide with surprise. Ayase Haruka and him make a cute couple with their shyness and bad luck. Tabe Mikako pulled off that really weird kid character well. She spooked me in the first few eps and she was always so peculiar - my "deer" hahahaa, I love that joke. Shige-san! I really like him especially when he was like "I'm not one to gossip but..." and he launches into all these rumours. He was very clever as well.
I really enjoyed Shikaotoko Aoniyoshi, everyone should give it some time because it isn't a typical trendy drama.

joykimlee

Post by joykimlee » Apr 20th, '08, 19:07

Weird n unique yet intriguing n interesting. Definitely not mainstream. Marathoned thru first half, then las half got a lil draggy n the case solved abruptly. Somehow Tamaki n Ayase couldn't stir any chemistry here. Tot Tamaki made a better pair with his student Tabe. Wonder what's Tamaki-kun's next project.

gokidora

Post by gokidora » Aug 20th, '08, 21:31

This is my favorite new drama. It's funny--and not funny in a sit-com way but genuinely cleverly funny--with a sophisticated, complex story-line, well-developed characters and a great cast, plus all that beautiful Nara scenery.
Tamaki made a better pair with his student Tabe
I agree. Maybe it's because Tabe's character was just the stronger, more interesting character while Ayase's was the weakest in the drama. I'd watch them paired again.

Kathstandsalone

Post by Kathstandsalone » Aug 25th, '08, 09:33

I spent a day watching the drama. Whenever each episode started, I told myself I would go do other things after I finished watching that episode, but ended watching all. :blink

Thanks Siantut for the subs. I LOL at your (bracketed comments) :lol

I must say this is the 3rd drama that I have watched with Tamaki in it. He seemed to pair with weird characters, nee?

Quite entertaining to watch as there are many comical (and weird) characters in the show, lol. The story is not too bad. the legend about the deer, fox and rat allows me to know more about the culture. Most of the episodes allow us to think of the mystery.
Sasaki Kuranosuke always plays supporting roles, eh (at least those which i have seen)

heeheehee

QueenOfRabbits

Shikaotoko Aoniyoshi

Post by QueenOfRabbits » Mar 16th, '09, 05:57

This Drama seems so fun! I really want to see it~~

http://wiki.d-addicts.com/Shikaotoko_Aoniyoshi

Tamaki Hiroshi is going to be one hot deer o.o

I wish it was subbed T___T nyuuu...~

mizune
Geinou Fansubber
Geinou Fansubber

Post by mizune » Mar 17th, '09, 01:49

^ It has been completely subbed (soft subs). You can find the subtitles to the raw videos if you check the Subtitles Index.

CP93

Post by CP93 » May 12th, '09, 05:56

I bought an import commercial DVD (2-disk set) from Amazon but the English subs are really, really awful, and my Japanese isn't good enough to follow it without subs. I've been trying to d/l the torrents but there's never any seeds available. Anyone want to rip a DVD-R of the raws and trade me for this commercial copy?

zettaiKaren

Post by zettaiKaren » May 12th, '09, 19:28

CP93 wrote:I bought an import commercial DVD (2-disk set) from Amazon but the English subs are really, really awful, and my Japanese isn't good enough to follow it without subs. I've been trying to d/l the torrents but there's never any seeds available. Anyone want to rip a DVD-R of the raws and trade me for this commercial copy?
You may want to try

http://jdorama.com/viewforum.5.htm

There're quite a few users on that board who have this drama on their trading lists.

HypnoSurf22

Post by HypnoSurf22 » Oct 17th, '09, 16:58

Its been a while since anyone posted here but I had to share a video I came across on utube today :-) ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y7p3aTxApYc

Hope you liked it. I was blown away 8)

kitty10
Japan

Post by kitty10 » May 30th, '14, 09:11

I'm about six years late to this drama, but better late than never! :D

This is a real gem of a drama, I loved it from start to finish. Went in for Tamaki Hiroshi, but ended up enjoying the whole story and how everything tied in so neatly without seeming ludicrous. The history bits were fascinating and very nicely woven into the story. The acting, characterisation and plot were all top-notch, it's a shame this drama wasn't more popular. I really liked that they filmed in Nara - it's a refreshing change of scenery and to see so many deer was awesome. The talking deer was one of my favourites after Ogawa, and I love their interactions. Also really enjoyed the quirky and very wise Shige-san, he really cracked me up with his "un"gossipy questions and I love how he was always on hand to advise Fujiwara and Ogawa, and even Hotta.

Tamaki Hiroshi was a delight to watch, love how he's so versatile (no shades of Chiaki here!) Loved his many expressions, they never failed to make me laugh and I was totally rooting for him throughout. Kendo scenes were superb, love how the whole school rallied around Hotta, all that tension and intensity of the matches, and the camaraderie of the kendo girls. Would have liked a scene of Nagaoka sensei doing her kendo stuff too, but otherwise it was enjoyable watching her too (especially when she's around Shige-san, hehe).

The "my shika" scene was fantastic and totally cool! What a way to tie it back to the beginning.

The ending theme song is awesome, really gave the drama some extra oomph and made me want to keep watching. Love the galloping deer! Wish I could find a download of it somewhere though.

All in all, a superb drama! :thumright: