Magnet Links. (Tutorial)

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
BaekSoo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Magnet Links. (Tutorial)

Post by BaekSoo » Jun 6th, '11, 12:46

If all torrents are not working then the only remaining option is to download the torrent using the magnet link.

Click on the magnet link of the torrent you want to download. It looks like a U --->Image

After clicking it, you may see some popups for Google Chrome.
Check-mark Remember my Choice for all links of this type and click Launch Application

Popup for Internet Explorer. Remove the Check-Mark for Always ask... Click allow.

Popup for Mozilla Firefox. Check-Mark Remember my choice for magnet links. Click OK (For Bittorrent / Utorrent)

If somehow this does not work for you...There is another alternative solution.
Right click on the magnet link. ---> Image

For Internet Explorer... Select Copy Shortcut.
For Google Chrome......Select Copy Link address
For Mozilla Firefox........Select Copy Link Location

On Utorrent / Bittorrent press CTRL+U or File ---> Add Torrent from URL

You just need to click OK. It should NOT be blank. If it's still blank...just paste on it.

It's slightly different from a normal torrent. First It will be empty. DON'T panic! That's normal.

Be patient and wait for it to collect the torrent info (It's called metadata) from other peers. Once the data is collected you will see that it's the same as any "normal" torrent.

Note: It may take a while to collect the information. Just be patient.
Last edited by BaekSoo on Jan 5th, '13, 16:03, edited 5 times in total.

efesun

Post by efesun » Jun 6th, '11, 13:08

Thank you! :-)

haruna_hamasaki

Post by haruna_hamasaki » Jul 29th, '11, 06:53

Thanks. It helps me a lot! And it's easy too. <3

rachelliew93

Post by rachelliew93 » Aug 15th, '11, 10:01

It doesn't work. I can't change the ASSOCIATE thingy to Associate with magnet URls. I also tried the 2nd method but it didn't work. Btw, I'm using Utorrent ver 3.0. HELP ME pls!! D:

rachelliew93

Post by rachelliew93 » Aug 15th, '11, 10:35

Nvm. I figured it out. :P

himura509

Post by himura509 » Oct 7th, '11, 18:40

I'm sorry but I still cant seem to find the associate with magnet Urls. I mange to open the torrent but it was blank. there is no content.

Ethlenn
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by Ethlenn » Oct 7th, '11, 18:53

Wait few seconds/minutes. if there are seeds, the file will appear, eh...

himura509

Post by himura509 » Oct 7th, '11, 18:56

If there is no seed how can i enable myself to gain access to the normal torrent link

BaekSoo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BaekSoo » Oct 8th, '11, 10:05

A magnet link is no different from a normal torrent. Except that it's missing a few trackers, but you can add them manually.

Follow the steps below to add trackers manually:

Right click on the torrent name and select Properties.

A tracker list is provided. Just copy and paste at the cursor as shown above.
DON'T remove the spacing in between. It won't work without the spacing.
You can also google to get a more current tracker list.

It will look like this when you have pasted it. :thumright:

Wrong setting. Trackers will NOT work.
Attachments
Tracker list (2).txt
Updated tracker list 26th August 2014 (24 working trackers)
(922 Bytes) Downloaded 1812 times
Last edited by BaekSoo on Aug 26th, '14, 11:36, edited 4 times in total.

Loona

Post by Loona » Feb 16th, '12, 14:29

I was just wondering: I use BitTorrent and when I add the file, there usually is a window showing the file data (content, size, date, ...). But when I use magnets, none of these apear and the total file size is set to 0.
Is that normal?

If not for that detail, magnets work perfectly well for me! :)

BaekSoo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BaekSoo » Feb 16th, '12, 14:48

That's normal.

Just wait for it to download the data that it needs and If it's a batch, you can select the files that you want or don't want as the case may be.

Other than that, it's no different from any other "normal" torrent.

mudav

Post by mudav » Feb 16th, '12, 15:06

It's not working for me >_<
I have no "accasiate with Magnets" option in my uTorrent so I tried the second option
I copied the link
Then I pushed OK button and I have this: empty file without any video files that takes 0 kb of space o_O
Then I push OK again and start "downloading" and downloading isn't happening even after many minutes

What am I doing wrong? And what should I do in order for it to start working >_<

BaekSoo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BaekSoo » Feb 16th, '12, 16:14

You have done everything correctly.

Panicking will not make it connect any faster. It will connect from a few seconds to many many minutes depending on your internet speed.

Nemi79

Post by Nemi79 » Feb 16th, '12, 17:58

I must be a big noob at this, but I do not have the option to Associate with magnet in my u-torrent either.
How do I go by to add the magnet links so I can download?

bluchan

Post by bluchan » Feb 16th, '12, 18:05

Thanks for the tutorial :D

AJBryant

Post by AJBryant » Feb 16th, '12, 18:18

I only wish it worked.

BaekSoo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BaekSoo » Feb 16th, '12, 18:24

Nemi79 wrote:I must be a big noob at this, but I do not have the option to Associate with magnet in my u-torrent either.
Did you try clicking on the magnet link? Try clicking on the magnet link and let me know how it goes. :-)

Nemi79

Post by Nemi79 » Feb 16th, '12, 19:06

BaekSoo wrote:
Nemi79 wrote:I must be a big noob at this, but I do not have the option to Associate with magnet in my u-torrent either.
Did you try clicking on the magnet link? Try clicking on the magnet link and let me know how it goes. :-)
I did, and It comes up empty : Just E: and then nothing at all, so I cannot save or do anything

BaekSoo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BaekSoo » Feb 16th, '12, 19:11

Nemi79 wrote:I did, and It comes up empty : Just E: and then nothing at all, so I cannot save or do anything
Follow the second option then. It's the one in GREEN

yyy

Post by yyy » Feb 16th, '12, 19:12

Hi thanks for the tutorial!

Is there a way to permanently load a tracker list so that I don't have to add it for each magnet? (until I feel it's time to update my list or something).

BaekSoo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BaekSoo » Feb 16th, '12, 19:43

yyy wrote:Is there a way to permanently load a tracker list so that I don't have to add it for each magnet? (until I feel it's time to update my list or something).
Did you try NOT loading the trackers? Does it still download even without the trackers?

If you are able to download then you don't really need the extra trackers. DHT works fine.

The trackers is only for those who have difficulty downloading WITHOUT the trackers.

I hope this helps.

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Feb 16th, '12, 19:57

I always thought magnet links works fine, but know i have one problem. I want to reseed a drama, but when i add the magnet link, utorrent doesn't find the original folder and doesn't check the files on my HDD. I didn't change the utorrent preferences or download destination and i didn't change the folder or file names. utorrent shows only "Download 0.0%" instead of "seeding". In the past i downloaded always the .torrent file and didn't used the magnet link for reseeding a drama, but unfortunately i deleted some .torrent files.

klam215

Post by klam215 » Feb 16th, '12, 20:05

what if we only want to download one specific show..how can we do that?

Triela

Post by Triela » Feb 16th, '12, 20:33

Nemi79 wrote:I did, and It comes up empty : Just E: and then nothing at all, so I cannot save or do anything
In case you had the same frustration as me, you MUST use a backslash if downloading to a root directory.

Downloading to E: won't work. Add a backslash - E:\

BaekSoo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BaekSoo » Feb 16th, '12, 20:36

Sorvaseven wrote:I always thought magnet links works fine, but know i have one problem. I want to reseed a drama, but when i add the magnet link, utorrent doesn't find the original folder and doesn't check the files on my HDD. I didn't change the utorrent preferences or download destination and i didn't change the folder or file names. utorrent shows only "Download 0.0%" instead of "seeding". In the past i downloaded always the .torrent file and didn't used the magnet link for reseeding a drama, but unfortunately i deleted some .torrent files.
Click on the magnet link. Start the torrent and wait for it to download the info / details of the torrent. STOP the torrent when you have it. You need to be alert or else it will continue downloading.

I'm assuming you have already set a specific download folder for all your downloads. Copy or move your completed files over and do a Force-Recheck.

Madoka
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by Madoka » Feb 16th, '12, 20:40

I have a quick question. Can you download a magnet link to another computer and have utorrent recognize it?

Here's my deal: I have an old computer on my LAN that does nothing but seed and download Dramas. I have utorrent on that computer watch a certain folder and load and start downloading those torrents. This allows me to be downstairs on my newer laptop and check d-addicts for new files, download the torrent to the upstairs old computer, and have it magically start downloading. I would rather not have to go upstairs everytime I want to start a download.

Thanks.

takeda_shingen

Post by takeda_shingen » Feb 16th, '12, 20:49

Triela wrote:In case you had the same frustration as me, you MUST use a backslash if downloading to a root directory.

Downloading to E: won't work. Add a backslash - E:\
Sorvaseven wrote:I want to reseed a drama, but when i add the magnet link, utorrent doesn't find the original folder and doesn't check the files on my HDD. I didn't change the utorrent preferences or download destination and i didn't change the folder or file names. utorrent shows only "Download 0.0%" instead of "seeding". In the past i downloaded always the .torrent file and didn't used the magnet link for reseeding a drama, but unfortunately i deleted some .torrent files.
I would report those both as a bug to the utorrent developers. (In the meantime, if you don't mind switching clients, Vuze opens magnet links like normal torrents, i.e. you can select the files you want, and where you want them.)

Unless the goal is to go completely tracker-less and the one tracker in the magnet links is just a remnant that will be removed, all trackers from a torrent could be added there, but that would need to be done in the site code that generates the links.

BaekSoo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BaekSoo » Feb 16th, '12, 20:52

Madoka wrote:I have a quick question. Can you download a magnet link to another computer and have utorrent recognize it?

Here's my deal: I have an old computer on my LAN that does nothing but seed and download Dramas. I have utorrent on that computer watch a certain folder and load and start downloading those torrents. This allows me to be downstairs on my newer laptop and check d-addicts for new files, download the torrent to the upstairs old computer, and have it magically start downloading. I would rather not have to go upstairs everytime I want to start a download.

Thanks.
I think what you need is REMOTE DESKTOP. Another application is called VNC. (Google it) Use it to control your PC or laptop from wherever in your local LAN.

I hope this helps.

Sorvaseven

Post by Sorvaseven » Feb 16th, '12, 20:52

BaekSoo wrote: Click on the magnet link. Start the torrent and wait for it to download the info / details of the torrent. STOP the torrent when you have it. You need to be alert or else it will continue downloading.

Ok, i will be patient ;-). It is possible, that i have to wait for another peer to be able to download the info / details of the torrent? That makes sence to me. When i don't stop the torrent, it will be overwriting the existing files, right? I hope there will be no losses/damage to the files when i'm not fast enough :-).

BaekSoo wrote:I'm assuming you have already set a specific download folder for all your downloads. Copy or move your completed files over and do a Force-Recheck.
Ok, i will try it this way. Thank you! :salut:

EDIT: It works! I only hope the developers will insert an automatic system in a future version of utorrent. It's a little bit nasty to wait for a peer, stop the torrent, do a force-recheck and start the torrent again after waiting till the recheck is done. I don't move the completed files, it works without it. Thank you again!

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Feb 16th, '12, 22:28

Madoka wrote:Here's my deal: I have an old computer on my LAN that does nothing but seed and download Dramas. I have utorrent on that computer watch a certain folder and load and start downloading those torrents. This allows me to be downstairs on my newer laptop and check d-addicts for new files, download the torrent to the upstairs old computer, and have it magically start downloading. I would rather not have to go upstairs everytime I want to start a download.
If you want to continue using uTorrent, just click on the magnet link on your downstairs laptop and let uTorrent start the download. Stop the torrent and look for the downloaded torrent file in the uTorrent applicaiton data directory (%appdata%\utorrent). Copy the torrent file to the folder for your upstairs computer and then delete the torrent from uTorrent on the downstairs computer. At the moment uTorrent does not download the torrent file without starting the torrent like I do in Vuze/Azurues. From reading posts on their forum it looks like they are working on that feature though.

mainemanx

Post by mainemanx » Feb 17th, '12, 02:59

After a moment of high anxiety, it appears Macintosh Transmission users need only use a little of the previously-mentioned patience. Just click the magnet... and stand back... patiently.
-----
i7 MacBook Pro, Snow Leopard 10.6.8, Transmission 2.42

`elle_

Post by `elle_ » Feb 17th, '12, 03:07

What can I do if I accidentely haven't "remove the Check-Mark for Always ask",
-I'm a superb noob- :pale: :scratch:

esqandar

Post by esqandar » Feb 17th, '12, 06:25

anyone got tips on how to use the magnet thingy with a seeder box such as torrentflux b4rt ? cheers

\( -o _ o- )/
Upload Addict
Upload Addict

Post by \( -o _ o- )/ » Feb 17th, '12, 06:40

`elle_ wrote:What can I do if I accidentely haven't "remove the Check-Mark for Always ask",
-I'm a superb noob- :pale: :scratch:
If you haven't removed the check-mark for always ask. It will ask again and again until you check mark it. 8)

bluesue

Post by bluesue » Feb 17th, '12, 06:41

esqandar wrote:anyone got tips on how to use the magnet thingy with a seeder box such as torrentflux b4rt ? cheers
idk if torrentflux support magnet link or not, but you can use utorrent first to get .torrent file and use that file on seedbox

but i believe later all seedbox will support magnet link

dattebayoXD

Post by dattebayoXD » Feb 17th, '12, 07:30

Thank you! : ) I was interested in magnet links for a while, but never tried it out before. This became a chance ;DD

XrayMind
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by XrayMind » Feb 17th, '12, 09:00

Neither the original torrentflux nor torrentlux b4rt support magnet links. Only the last version call torrentflux NG support magnet link. Also rutorrent 3.1 or newer will support magnet link, if it's running on top of rtorrent 0.8.6 r1144.

takkichi

Post by takkichi » Feb 18th, '12, 06:53

Thank you for the tutorial...it worked for me.

SusieQ

Post by SusieQ » Feb 19th, '12, 08:15

I've used magnet links many times before on other sites, and even D-A when the torrent files were removed briefly. I had no problems.

However, upon the return of the torrent files this week, the magnet links no longer work properly. For some reason, when I click a magnet link it opens another program (StrongDC++) rather than uTorrent.

I thought this was something I did, but I I haven't changed any settings in Google Chrome, uTorrent, or StrongDC++, and magnet links at other sites (PIrate Bay, KickassTorrents) work as they are meant to, opening in uTorrent.

Was something changed here on D-A recently that would account for this?

BaekSoo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BaekSoo » Feb 19th, '12, 09:12

SusieQ wrote:Was something changed here on D-A recently that would account for this?
I'm downloading the torrent using magnet links and I doubt the problem lies with D-A.

It's working fine.

Most likely your app (StrongDC++) is causing the mixup.

Try using the alternative method. (In GREEN)

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Feb 21st, '12, 18:25

Hmm, I just noticed this tutorial is written for version 2.x of uTorrent. Unfortunately the developers changed some things in version 3.X and are having all kinds of problems. It looks like they may have also changed the way uTorrent reconstructs the metadata using magnet links. :unsure:

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Feb 22nd, '12, 23:14

saigo_x wrote:
Madoka wrote:Here's my deal: I have an old computer on my LAN that does nothing but seed and download Dramas. I have utorrent on that computer watch a certain folder and load and start downloading those torrents. This allows me to be downstairs on my newer laptop and check d-addicts for new files, download the torrent to the upstairs old computer, and have it magically start downloading. I would rather not have to go upstairs everytime I want to start a download.
If you want to continue using uTorrent, just click on the magnet link on your downstairs laptop and let uTorrent start the download. Stop the torrent and look for the downloaded torrent file in the uTorrent applicaiton data directory (%appdata%\utorrent). Copy the torrent file to the folder for your upstairs computer and then delete the torrent from uTorrent on the downstairs computer. At the moment uTorrent does not download the torrent file without starting the torrent like I do in Vuze/Azurues. From reading posts on their forum it looks like they are working on that feature though.
I ran across a utility called uTorrent Adder on the uTorrent forums. It uses the uTorrent WebUI. http://forum.utorrent.com/viewtopic.php?id=58253

yyy

Post by yyy » Feb 23rd, '12, 12:55

BaekSoo wrote:
yyy wrote:Is there a way to permanently load a tracker list so that I don't have to add it for each magnet? (until I feel it's time to update my list or something).
Did you try NOT loading the trackers? Does it still download even without the trackers?

If you are able to download then you don't really need the extra trackers. DHT works fine.

The trackers is only for those who have difficulty downloading WITHOUT the trackers.

I hope this helps.
Yup I did..but anyways... I don't know what I did, but it works now... Yup a newbie with this. But looks like the torrent files are back again.

RavenMizuki

Post by RavenMizuki » Mar 13th, '12, 21:52

I have been using flashget to download everything until lately some torrents can't be dl in flashget, thank you for this wonderful information! Now, I can learn Japanese while watching my favorite shows!

SiHooSi

Post by SiHooSi » Jun 30th, '12, 20:51

Thanks BaekSoo!

aska

Post by aska » Jul 1st, '12, 03:55

Help! I had copy the link location of the magnet & when i tried to paste it into Bittorrent, it says 'BTCP Link Format Error'.
Can anyone pls help?? I cant download my Jdrama & Kdrama :'(

debi

Post by debi » Jul 1st, '12, 05:30

Thank you! :cheers:

BaekSoo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BaekSoo » Jul 1st, '12, 05:37

aska wrote:Help! I had copy the link location of the magnet & when i tried to paste it into Bittorrent, it says 'BTCP Link Format Error'.
Can anyone pls help?? I cant download my Jdrama & Kdrama :'(
Are you using Utorrent? If not then I suggest you start using it. It works fine for magnet links.

spider79

Post by spider79 » Jul 1st, '12, 20:10

TQ so much..
i'd been frustrated for 4 days..
and tonight, i can download as usual..

:)

ooijanice

Post by ooijanice » Jul 1st, '12, 23:44

Really appreciate the above tutorial.
Especially with the pics, noods like me can understand instructions better.
Thanks alot, dear BaekSoo.

Ikari_Tsubasa

Post by Ikari_Tsubasa » Feb 17th, '13, 03:50

Okay. I want to download The Legend or The Story of the First King's Four Gods, but the magnet link doesn't want to work. I downloaded it the second way, and opened it using BitTorrent, since I switched to that after my uTorrent started screwing up my computer several months ago, and I added the list of trackers manually, but it says it is downloading metadata and it has been saying that for the last several hours. What should I do about that? :scratch:

BaekSoo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BaekSoo » Feb 17th, '13, 05:23

Ikari_Tsubasa wrote:Okay. I want to download The Legend or The Story of the First King's Four Gods, but the magnet link doesn't want to work. I downloaded it the second way, and opened it using BitTorrent, since I switched to that after my uTorrent started screwing up my computer several months ago, and I added the list of trackers manually, but it says it is downloading metadata and it has been saying that for the last several hours. What should I do about that? :scratch:
Firstly are you having trouble only with this torrent or ALL torrents?

A magnet link works similar to a normal torrent. If there are no seeders or peers on the torrent to download the metadata then you won't be able to download it at all.

Ikari_Tsubasa

Post by Ikari_Tsubasa » Feb 17th, '13, 06:41

BaekSoo wrote:
Ikari_Tsubasa wrote:Okay. I want to download The Legend or The Story of the First King's Four Gods, but the magnet link doesn't want to work. I downloaded it the second way, and opened it using BitTorrent, since I switched to that after my uTorrent started screwing up my computer several months ago, and I added the list of trackers manually, but it says it is downloading metadata and it has been saying that for the last several hours. What should I do about that? :scratch:
Firstly are you having trouble only with this torrent or ALL torrents?

A magnet link works similar to a normal torrent. If there are no seeders or peers on the torrent to download the metadata then you won't be able to download it at all.
I guess it must just be that the show has no seeds, since I tried the Horse Doctor show, which is still airing, and it worked just fine. Thanks for the info. I haven't been downloading lately; too busy student teaching. Finally got a little break and decided to catch up with downloading older shows that looked interesting. Didn't know there had been any change to anything till I looked around. Now I know :-)

LanceSalmo

Post by LanceSalmo » Aug 24th, '14, 23:07

Hey did not know where to post this but the magnet links are not working. Hope some one can fix the problem Thank you

BaekSoo
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by BaekSoo » Aug 24th, '14, 23:17

LanceSalmo wrote:Hey did not know where to post this but the magnet links are not working. Hope some one can fix the problem Thank you
Magnet links are working fine. I just tested a random torrent and it works perfectly, as usual. :thumright:

LanceSalmo

Post by LanceSalmo » Aug 24th, '14, 23:33

BaekSoo wrote:
LanceSalmo wrote:Hey did not know where to post this but the magnet links are not working. Hope some one can fix the problem Thank you
Magnet links are working fine. I just tested a random torrent and it works perfectly, as usual. :thumright:
Thank you soooo much I don't know what was going on maybe its just me lol I was starting to panic :)