How to make hardsub from softsub??

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
ita_wang

How to make hardsub from softsub??

Post by ita_wang » May 19th, '08, 16:53

How to make hardsub from softsub?? Thanks.

InTr4nceWeTrust
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by InTr4nceWeTrust » May 19th, '08, 23:41

By use program virtualdub.. Welcome.

^_~ check out

Code: Select all

www.videohelp.com
Loads of guides on this kind of thing.

shep1979

Post by shep1979 » May 21st, '08, 02:51

This is a post I found from a user here on this forum linking to here:

http://forum.koreandramas.net/topic_541.html

ita_wang

Post by ita_wang » May 28th, '08, 21:52

Thank you so much., both of you. :)

link_417

Difficulty loading vid in VirtualDubMod

Post by link_417 » Jun 27th, '08, 01:40

I'm trying to make my softsubs into hardsubs, but when I try to open the video with VirtualDubMod (or any other version of VirtualDub), I get this message:

"Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'DX50' (unknown). VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable. Only 'Direct stream copy' is available for this video."

I've tried two different tutorials and couldn't get past this step in either of them. These are .avi files I'm trying to open, by the way.

I've converted soft- to hardsubs using VobSub and VirtualDubMod before, but they were with different videos and on a different computer a couple years ago, so I'm not sure what's going wrong.

Thanks for any help.

robx

Post by robx » Jun 27th, '08, 02:49

link_417 wrote: I'm trying to make my softsubs into hardsubs, but when I try to open the video with VirtualDubMod (or any other version of VirtualDub), I get this message:

"Couldn't locate decompressor for format 'DX50' (unknown). VirtualDub requires a Video for Windows (VFW) compatible codec to decompress video. DirectShow codecs, such as those used by Windows Media Player, are not suitable. Only 'Direct stream copy' is available for this video."

I've tried two different tutorials and couldn't get past this step in either of them. These are .avi files I'm trying to open, by the way.

I've converted soft- to hardsubs using VobSub and VirtualDubMod before, but they were with different videos and on a different computer a couple years ago, so I'm not sure what's going wrong.

Thanks for any help.
basically you need the codec to decompress it. If you uninstall all your previous installed codec and install cccp, you should be able to load it in vdubmod without problems to encode it. cccp codec has compression and decompression codecs in its package; ffdshow (included in package) should be able to handle most of your codec needs, so good luck.

link_417

Post by link_417 » Jun 27th, '08, 14:52

Thank you very much, after installing cccp it finally worked! I was very frustrated with this so I really appreciate your help.
:cheers: :thumleft: :w00t:

shawnkun

subtitling softsub to hardsub failure

Post by shawnkun » Jan 13th, '09, 19:18

hi, for the past week i have tried many different ways to change subtitles from softsub to hardsub. but i failed. i read like almost all the links i could find on google and yahoo.
but still unable to work. i downloaded all Virtualdubmod, VobSub, Avisynth, Divx and almost everyother thing. But to no avail.
Ok, getting to the point, i tried to put subtitler.vdf into the my plugins file of the virtualdubmod file. but doesnt work when i press videos/filters/add, i couldnt find the word textsub, the only thing i could find is the subtitler by AveryLee and it kinda fails.

i just need to put convert sdf/sub file into the avi file.. but seemed impossible. i tried downloading even all the different codecs, or even uninstall then reinstalling but still cant work. can someone help me? i need to know of a way to put subtitles into the avi file as hardsub because i need to convert into my itouch the single file and its kinda important for me. i need it to spend my daily life><

someone please help me!! any kind souls ? PLEASEEE!

kahuna808

Post by kahuna808 » Jan 13th, '09, 19:39

ConvertXtoDvd3

shawnkun

Post by shawnkun » Jan 14th, '09, 07:39

what u mean by convertXtodvd?

kahuna808

Post by kahuna808 » Jan 14th, '09, 07:42

shawnkun wrote:what u mean by convertXtodvd?
That is the name of the program "ConvertXtoDvd3". As always do a google search.

shawnkun

Post by shawnkun » Jan 14th, '09, 13:33

i did. but what has it got to do with my question.
it doesnt input softsubs into hardsubs at all. i just need to put the subtitles from aseperate file into the video and merge as one file..

Cry5tal

Post by Cry5tal » Jan 14th, '09, 14:04

LoadPlugin("C:\_encode\TextSub\VSFilter.dll")

AviSource("Your_episode_in_avi_format.avi")

TextSub("your_sub_file.srt") # or .ass if you have that too
This doesn't work on IDX/SUB, because it's not a textfile, it's an "image". These are images subtitles. You need to convert that into srt or other.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 14th, '09, 14:40

Here's a guide at videohelp.com:

http://forum.videohelp.com/topic272736.html 
:thumright:

Sny

Post by Sny » Jan 14th, '09, 16:11

I used the link above ( http://forum.koreandramas.net/topic_541.html ) to convert to hardsub. It worked well. But, I downloaded an avi file (716 mb), after I harsubbed it, became 494 mb (the quality is not good anymore). Is there anyway to keep the avi file to 716 mb?
Thank you!

mt877

Post by mt877 » Jan 14th, '09, 16:30

In VDub, under file menu, select File Information... look at the Video Stream Data rate value (example 1800kbps). When you select and configure the video codec for full processing, use the same data rate. I assume the audio is set for "source audio", then by using the same video rate as already discussed, the total size and quality of the re-encoded avi (with subtitle) should be very close to the original avi.

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 14th, '09, 16:44

Sny wrote:I used the link above (

http://forum.koreandramas.net/topic_541.html 
) to convert to hardsub. It worked well. But, I downloaded an avi file (716 mb), after I harsubbed it, became 494 mb (the quality is not good anymore). Is there anyway to keep the avi file to 716 mb?
Thank you!
You need to change the quality settings, if there are any available.

I typically use the xVid encoder in VirtualDub and set the quality to 1 (maximum), that's way there's little or no degradation in video quality. :thumright:

EDIT: At the maximum quality setting, the file size does get bigger... Usually double. :sweat:

Sny

Post by Sny » Jan 14th, '09, 18:40

Ah.. thank you so much for the info!

bmwracer

Post by bmwracer » Jan 14th, '09, 19:34

Sny wrote:Ah.. thank you so much for the info!
Sure thing.... Good luck. :thumright:

fathskie

Re: How to make hardsub from softsub??

Post by fathskie » Dec 29th, '15, 08:51

Hello, just letting you know that this topic shows up first row on google search for keyword [how to make hardsub from softsub]

Probably a moderator or someone could edit the post or add a more relevant and uptodate reply for recent years? I mean it's already 2016 and last reply was 2009.

layfon777

Post by layfon777 » Feb 14th, '16, 05:51

InTr4nceWeTrust wrote:By use program virtualdub.. Welcome.

^_~ check out http://www.videohelp.com Loads of guides on this kind of thing.
This lowers the quality of video doesn't it?

stud1al
Australia

Re: How to make hardsub from softsub??

Post by stud1al » Sep 22nd, '23, 01:39

I just load the vid and subs into subedit and burn them in that way if i ever want to make a vid with hard subs