Tweaking Bittorrent - How To Configure Bittorrent

Read the FAQ in here first then post your questions here if it doesn't help you.
pat_ty

Post by pat_ty » Oct 31st, '06, 04:32

jholic: Yes, I did.

- My DI-624 router has the DHCP range 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199.
- My PC use the 192.168.0.103 and I did assign the specific IP under Control Panel / Local Area Connection (I use lan connection) / Internet Protocal (TCP/IP) properties.
- Under Virtual Server page in my router setting, I assign static IP address 192.168.0.220, which is over the DHCP range for port 54127 by using both TCP and UDP protocal.

Did I do something wrong?
:cry:

pat_ty

Post by pat_ty » Nov 2nd, '06, 02:29

I know what was wrong with my setting. Under Internet Protocal (TCP/IP) properties, I should have used the IP address outside the DHCP range. In my case, I change to .205 and use the same address in router setting. Viola..... :wub:

Now my d/l speed goes up to 50kb/s. I'm really happy now. :wub: :wub: :wub:

eedwinn

Post by eedwinn » Nov 4th, '06, 02:04

Hi everyone, my friend just introduced this website to me and I'm new here. =)

For the past few months I have been using a wired modem and the downloading speed of torrent is great! (Reaching up to 180kb/s for 1.5mb/s connection)

Recently I changed my modem to a wireless one, 2wire Homeportal 2700HG. And unfortunately my speed isn't the same anymore. The maximum it could reach is only 20kb/s. It's only when I changed back to my old modem then can I download at the fast speed again.

I tried forwarding port by looking at the instructions from http://www.portforward.com, then tried the nat check test at http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl.

Sad to say I failed even after close following of the instructions. Is there anyway which you guys here can help me? I would really appreciate it. Thanks! :D

squallheart

Post by squallheart » Nov 16th, '06, 06:35

Alright i love to download J dramas and im trying to seed but the odd thing my speeds have decreased dramatically even on one download and uploading another. i went to portworward to follow the instructions everything is going well i have a westell 6100 at the end of the tutorial it said select the new protocal created and click enable. and that was suppose to be it. Now a pop up showed up saying Host device to enter the ip address but the tutorial never explained that part what am i suppose to enter there? i tried my own ip lol but said its your own ip i went to the nat test to see if it worked and still fails : / anyone care to help me out..

asian_grl

Post by asian_grl » Nov 17th, '06, 04:42

idk if this was already answered.. but how do i set upload limit? because the ul is going twice as fast as the dl so the ETA is 3 wks @_@ .. n i passed the NAT check already.

squallheart

Post by squallheart » Nov 17th, '06, 06:13

well ok now i redid the port thing and after i clicked enable it now it gave me something in the drop down box a host device called final-a23432 a bunch of numbers so i pressed ok and it enabled it so i went to go test the nat again and still fails hmm reall odd and my speeds are ok around 15k and i also closed my zonealarm to see if it helps but alas still same thing any tips out there. and i found my ip but dont know what to do with it lol i use bitcomet

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Nov 18th, '06, 17:25

asiangrl - upload speed is set differently for each client. i would go to the homepage of that client and ask your question there.

squallheart - i think you're making it tougher than it is. go to the first post and read it carefully. you need to setup a static ip on your computer, and then fwd the BT ports to that ip.

squallheart

Post by squallheart » Nov 19th, '06, 07:04

ok i went back to read some articles on the first pages and read what phoenix wrote seeting up a dynamic ip withing windows networking i found out my modem has a built in router so it was creating a dummy ip everytime i would download something so i got the default gateway from run /cmd and the type ip config it was 192.168.x.x so i created my own typing the same ip and adding a a plus one to the top ip and entered the default gateway on dns clicked ok then logged into my router and selected the nat link and entered the ip i created after that i created ports 6881 and up and clicked ok and forwarded them to the new ip and behold my download speed jumped to 52 o.o i failed the nat check but i guess since the file was downloading for a while maybe in another port it failed but so far the speed has jumped up so im happy i will do more tests to see if it keeps up with the fast speed and hopefully it will and will repost but now i can upload more thanks dd peeps ^.^

squallheart

Post by squallheart » Nov 19th, '06, 09:27

Well went back to check my speeds some torrents are doing rather well downloading at 50 kbs D Addicts goes prety slow though im wondering if its miss configuration but guess though i havae a question using bitcomet here when i click on the file im downloading i click on trackers it shows me the www.d-addicts.com/announce:7979 etc but it says connection error but it still downloading should i be worrying o.o

kid_26

Post by kid_26 » Nov 26th, '06, 11:33

Hi, I am kind of newbie here. I have just started to use Bittorent in my school. My school uses proxy server and I managed to connect/bypass the proxy although some of my friends don't make it. However, I have a very slow d/l speed n I have tried to configure the port in bitorent cmd line like "c\:prgram files\bittorrent\.... -ip 123.45.67.89 %1" Can anyone gimme guide about this problem? I really appreciate ur help and thank u very much.

I have no idea what type of router my school is using. is there any method to check it out? thanks

prettypurplekao

Still failed NATCheck?

Post by prettypurplekao » Dec 7th, '06, 19:01

PhoenixNL72 wrote:So just to make things clear. If you fail the test on that site that is BAD. it means their server couldn't connect to your IP number on the port you specified for the torrent you specified (with the hashkey). So it couldn't connect to you at all. Meaning you are firewalled or are behind a router. If you "Pass" the test then you are set to go and your bittorrent client is reachable by others without any problems..
I'm running on WindowsXP Home have a Netgear RP614v2. Using BitComet to seed/leach. I did the step by step guide on portforwarding (except with RP614 since v2 wasn't listed). Internet connection is working fine, but I still failed the NATCheck. I looked to see if I have a firewall under Network Connection and there is a Windows Firewall enabled but there are programs under "exceptions" and BitComet is listed under there, so I figure that's fine. Why is this happening?

I also read what you've said about the port in NATCheck. I'm using the port I found under preferences in BitComet, but maybe I'm using the wrong thing? You were saying something about the location of the file having something to do with the port? I have 102 completed files opened in BitComet though... how can I find the port for just one of them?

Another question, I used the links on this site to check my IP address, but my IP address does not match the IP address I used for port forwarding. The IP address I used for portforwarding is the one I obtained by using ipconfig/all in the cmd window. Why do these IP addresses not match? I'm sure one is for my router and one is for Comcast (my service provider), but I'm confused as to which one is important in p2p. @_@

Also a third question. I know there are different clients for torrents, BitComet, BitTornado, etc. If someone is using BitTornado and seeding a file I want, can I get that file from them if I'm using BitComet?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Still failed NATCheck?

Post by jholic » Dec 14th, '06, 00:07

prettypurplekao: apologies for responding late. did you get your situation resolved?

i had the exact same router before, so i know it works for BT. if it's not working, here's some pointers.

install bittornado as your client. start up any torrent, then configure the settings (change the default ports from 6881-6999 to something in the 8000 range or something.)

then, go into netgear and fwd to those same ports.

turn off windows firewall. some may disagree w/ me, but if you have a router, the software firewall doesn't do much else. we also want to see if it WORKS.
Another question, I used the links on this site to check my IP address, but my IP address does not match the IP address I used for port forwarding. The IP address I used for portforwarding is the one I obtained by using ipconfig/all in the cmd window. Why do these IP addresses not match? I'm sure one is for my router and one is for Comcast (my service provider), but I'm confused as to which one is important in p2p.
read the first post carefully.

EXAMPLE:
router = 100.100.100.100
computer = 192.168.0.1

the internet ONLY sees your router (as 100.100.100.100). the router assigns your computer as 192.168.0.1. if you configure your router settings, use the 192 number. whenever you do something on the internet, it only talks to your router (100).
Also a third question. I know there are different clients for torrents, BitComet, BitTornado, etc. If someone is using BitTornado and seeding a file I want, can I get that file from them if I'm using BitComet?
most of the time, yes. try testing with multiple torrents.

prettypurplekao

Post by prettypurplekao » Dec 16th, '06, 18:09

Thanks for the reply, Jholic. Your answers are very helpful. I still don't completely understand why the IP address that I found when going to a website doesn't match the IP I am using as my static IP, but bitcomet is working better, so I guess I can just grin and bear not understanding quite how it works.

sassywf

Post by sassywf » Jan 3rd, '07, 05:54

hello everyone..this is my first time here..having trouble configuring this thing. Is there a clear checklist of the things that we have to do? seems like the information is a little confusing big post. So far I have done the following:
1. turned off all the firewalls (xp, and antivirus)
2. fowarded the IP address. I used 6881-6889. THen used the same IP address on my computer.
Still not working. ANy ideas?
thanks in advance.

springbok7

Post by springbok7 » Jan 8th, '07, 22:03

I'm getting a weird situation and I'm not sure if it's me or something else. I have been seeding "With Love" for a long time (more than couple months now) and it was working very well with good upload speeds (I have my clients set to 40KB/s on one computer and 60KB/s on another computer). However, in the last couple weeks or so the upload is terrible. Many times I am the only one seeding with multiple leechers, but there is no traffic between me and the leechers. If I seed any other torrents they upload the way they're supposed to, and use the full amount of bandwidth I've allowed them. Does anyone have any ideas about what's going on? I just checked the 60kb/s computer, and none of the 12 episodes are uploading at all, and shota no sushi is only uploading at 8kb/s, so I know it's not sucking up all the bandwidth..... Help!

sammypoo91

Post by sammypoo91 » Jan 12th, '07, 10:59

i'm having a problem too...

last time i manage 2 dl files using bitcomet.
However recently whenever i try to dl something it stuck at 0%..

foxhana

Post by foxhana » Jan 14th, '07, 11:21

i'm using Bitcomet.

dos this faq still applies to bitcomet? i cant find the port forwarding and stuff like that that you all wrote in the first post.

please help make my connecetion faster..

i'm connected 4 seeds and 20+ peers, but there's a total of 10 seeds and 1800++ peers,,

please help.

isbes83

Post by isbes83 » Jan 20th, '07, 18:38

hi, i dunno what happenened but i can't even launched bitcomet anymore! i have no clue what happened. Therefore i tried uninstalling and installing it again but i still could not launched bitcomet. So i tried other bittorrent client but when i try to download, it stuck at 0%. can anyone help?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Feb 3rd, '07, 01:48

springbok7 wrote:Many times I am the only one seeding with multiple leechers, but there is no traffic between me and the leechers. If I seed any other torrents they upload the way they're supposed to..... Help!
it has nothing to do with you. this sometimes occurs and i have never been able to figure it out. i think one of the leechers somehow disrupts the torrent and everyone experiences problems. you rarely see this happen with large amounts of leeches, so it must just be some random occurence. patiently seed it as best as you can, and hope that the damaging one eventually completes.

foxhana: even though there's thousands of seeds and leechers, the client is NOT going to connect you to each and every one. it will connect you to a lot. there may be an option for you to increase the amount of people you can connect to. otherwise, visit the bitcomet website and check their forum for assistance.

isbes83: are you dl'ing from school? home? it could be that someone changed the firewall or router settings to stop BT from going in or out.

perfection_001

Post by perfection_001 » Feb 11th, '07, 21:10

Ok, I'm really confused....I downloaded utorrent to my computer and clicked on the torrent I downloaded and a box popped up saying: "to open this file, Windows needs to know what program created it. Windows can go online to look it up automatically, or you can manually select from a list of programs on your computer." so I clicked ok and this popped up: http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/1871 ... lahlv4.jpg

I'm really confused, can someone help me?

saigo_x

Post by saigo_x » Feb 13th, '07, 04:57

@perfection_001
It means there is currently no program associated with the .torrent extension (i.e. Windows does not know what program to open it with). Either open the torrent from within uTorrent or associate uTorrent with torrent files. In uTorrent go to Options -> Preferences -> General -> Windows Integration and click on "Associate with .torrent files".

asiandramafanyui

Post by asiandramafanyui » Mar 1st, '07, 12:32

Hey I'm new here and i want to know how to view my bit torrent download.
I'm no computer person but i really wanna understand how this works.
I was surprised when the files downloaded sos fast then i found out that I dont have a compatible program to view the download. Help Pls. thnx!:)

miracles29

help!! setting external ip address correctly.....

Post by miracles29 » Mar 13th, '07, 17:42

hi i open the ports 6881 - 6889 and was able to download. xD
but my internet connection disconnected me (it happens at times....) and i'm not able to download anymore....

is it bcos my ip address has changed after the disconnection? how do i update the bitTorrent commandline options.... i'm currently using bitComet.

pls help!!

thanks alot! xD

miracles29

how fast is fast?

Post by miracles29 » Mar 13th, '07, 18:42

can anyone gimme a rough guide?

how many kb/s shd it be for downloading in order to be consider normal/fast?

my speed is usual between 0-30 kb/s......

i've change the firewall and ip address already... the yellow sign has also changed to green.

is there anythg that i can do to increase the downloading speed? it seems like some ppl can download at approximately 150 kb/s which is soooooo amazing!! :P

thanks for everyone's help!! :mrgreen:

miracles29

sorry but its me again....

Post by miracles29 » Mar 13th, '07, 18:55

sorry but i'm here again with queries......

what is the difference between an external ip address and the one given to you in your computer (ie. when u hit "cmd" in run, den hit "ipconfig/all"?

do need you help!!

thanks alot!! xD

deadd

Re: sorry but its me again....

Post by deadd » Mar 13th, '07, 19:06

miracles29 wrote:sorry but i'm here again with queries......

what is the difference between an external ip address and the one given to you in your computer (ie. when u hit "cmd" in run, den hit "ipconfig/all"?

do need you help!!

thanks alot!! xD
External IP Address is the IP address given to you (temporarily, usually) from your Internet Service Provider or ISP. That IP allows you to connect to the Internet. But if you only have one IP address to work with 2 or more computers, then you need INTERNAL IP addresses, because each computer needs an unique IP address. Internal IP addresses can not be seen publicly, so you can't connect to the Internet just with that. A router usually handles sharing of the Internet connection and also acts as a NAT (don't worry about what that means, just that it handles Internal IP addresses.) When you hit cmd and then IPCONFIG /ALL, AND if you have a router, you see a Internal address, usually 192.168.x.x, or 10.x.x.x

Hope that helps.

miracles29

Re: sorry but its me again....

Post by miracles29 » Mar 14th, '07, 15:28

deadd wrote:
miracles29 wrote:sorry but i'm here again with queries......

do need you help!!

thanks alot!! xD
External IP Address is the IP address given to you (temporarily, usually) from your Internet Service Provider or ISP. That IP allows you to connect to the Internet. But if you only have one IP address to work with 2 or more computers, then you need INTERNAL IP addresses, because each computer needs an unique IP address. Internal IP addresses can not be seen publicly, so you can't connect to the Internet just with that. A router usually handles sharing of the Internet connection and also acts as a NAT (don't worry about what that means, just that it handles Internal IP addresses.) When you hit cmd and then IPCONFIG /ALL, AND if you have a router, you see a Internal address, usually 192.168.x.x, or 10.x.x.x

Hope that helps.
thanks alot!!~ xD

i think i understand it slightly better (i'm bad with computers),
but how do we set the "bitTorrent Client Configuration --- setting your external ip address" (mentioned in the 1st pg) properly, so that bitTorrent knows where to transfer data to....

i'm currently using bitComet, and where can i find the commandline options to config my external ip... (my data transfer speed is really slow... despite opening the ports (6881-6889) and making exceptions to my firewall.....

pls help!!! :mrgreen:

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Mar 14th, '07, 23:25

miracles: sorry, but i don't use bitcomet. i use bittornado(.com). are you willing to give that client a shot? i think it's very configurable. download, install, click on torrent link, open with btornado.

click on 'prefs', you can change your port range to something like 7654-7664 or whatever. make sure your router matches. most people don't recommend 6881-6999 anymore.

you can change the default save location. save.

hopefully, you tested your upload speed. set it at about 85% of your max.

give it some time. light should turn green and you should be good to go.

miracles29

thanks lots! xD

Post by miracles29 » Mar 15th, '07, 19:18

hi everyone!!

thanks for replying sooo promptly!! xD u guys and gals have been a help!!

tis forum's good!

to jholic: i did try the bitTornado, but it looks even more confusing than the bitcomet... but i'll try again since u say its good xD

lAstLy: thanks thanks!!

miracles29

wow!!!~

Post by miracles29 » Mar 15th, '07, 19:46

dear dear jholic!!

bitTornado really seems much easier to use!! xD but there's a part i dun quite get it.... how do i start the download for the 2nd torrent file slmultaneously?

i've got the bitcomet active as well and whenever i try to open the torrent file with bitTornado, it goes back to the bitComet client (i've unactivated bitcomet as the default client already....)

pls pls reply me and i'm off to a nice start!! :cheers:

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Mar 16th, '07, 01:23

miracles: perhaps you should uninstall bitcomet.

the drawback to bittornado is that it opens a new window for every torrent that you open. depending on how much memory and bandwidth you have, i suggest about 3-5 windows open max.

or you can try saving the torrent FILE (right-click, save as...). when you double-click on the torrent file, it will ask you which client you want to use.

miracles29

oki thanks! xD

Post by miracles29 » Mar 16th, '07, 16:50

oki i'll try it!!~

last few qns thou!!- :mrgreen:
1) is there anythg else i need to configure to keep the downloading speed high? (it goes up (55 kb/s) and down (2-3 kb/s), n i kinda play around with it all the time...... -__-)

2) do i need to change my ip add to static or automatic.. whichever is better?

3) shd i change the port range to 7654-7664 or leave it random... (i'm still not sure wad kind of effects the port range has on the downloading speed.... sorry!)

4) do i have to change my firewall ports so i complement the port range in bitTornado? (my windows firewalls already allow an exception to bitdownloadgui --- for bitTornado rite?)

5) if there's no peers or seeds for old files, does it mean i wun get to download the files?

6) last lASt qn.... if i remove the files from the original destination folder, does it mean i can't help to send files to other ppl?

sorry to disturb ( i'm slow at this, really really hope you don't mind....), you have been a great goody help!! xD

miracles29

opps..... another question.... heh...

Post by miracles29 » Mar 16th, '07, 16:52

sorry pal!!

i just checked and got the message that it's not connected to the tracker, operation timed out.....

wad does it mean.... wad do i have to do now..... :whistling:

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: oki thanks! xD

Post by jholic » Mar 17th, '07, 03:47

miracles29 wrote:1) is there anythg else i need to configure to keep the downloading speed high? (it goes up (55 kb/s) and down (2-3 kb/s), n i kinda play around with it all the time...... -__-)
just remember what your max upload speed is. then all your torrent windows should add up to about 80-90% of it. (ie. max upload speed is 48kB. all of your torrents should add up to about 44kB.)
miracles29 wrote:2) do i need to change my ip add to static or automatic.. whichever is better?
your router should get an IP from your ISP dynamically.
your computer should get a static IP from your router.
miracles29 wrote:3) shd i change the port range to 7654-7664 or leave it random... (i'm still not sure wad kind of effects the port range has on the downloading speed.... sorry!)
the "random" box just means it chooses one of the ports (in that range) randomly. i check it.
miracles29 wrote:4) do i have to change my firewall ports so i complement the port range in bitTornado? (my windows firewalls already allow an exception to bitdownloadgui --- for bitTornado rite?)
yes.
miracles29 wrote:5) if there's no peers or seeds for old files, does it mean i wun get to download the files?
yes. you need to make a 'seed request'
miracles29 wrote:6) last lASt qn.... if i remove the files from the original destination folder, does it mean i can't help to send files to other ppl?
you can still seed. when you open the torrent box again, you point it to the new location of the file, and it will recognize that you already have the whole file and begin seeding.

from what i hear, you have zonealarm. do you have a router? if you have a router, try turning zonealarm off. then see if bittornado works better.

miracles29

~~

Post by miracles29 » Mar 18th, '07, 10:53

hi jholic... thanks for replying~~ xD

but how do i make a seed request? on websites? how do they connect to me den?

sighs....

and how do you know i have a zonealarm? i dun even know that myself... :P i have a router, but where do i go to off the zonealarm in the router....

and what is it about the "operation timed out"..... what has happened when this message appear?

waitin for ya reply~! xD

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: ~~

Post by jholic » Mar 20th, '07, 03:05

miracles29 wrote:but how do i make a seed request? on websites? how do they connect to me den?
i meant right here on our forum under 'seed requests':
http://www.d-addicts.com/forum/viewforum_7.htm
miracles29 wrote:and how do you know i have a zonealarm? i dun even know that myself... :P i have a router, but where do i go to off the zonealarm in the router....
based on what you've been saying, it sounds like zonealarm. ZA sits on your comptuer, your router does not. do not turn off your router. in the lower-right-hand corner of your computer, there should be a ZA icon. you can double-click it or right-click it and turn it off (disable ZA).
miracles29 wrote:and what is it about the "operation timed out"..... what has happened when this message appear?
which application is giving you that message? bittornado??

miracles29

thanks xD

Post by miracles29 » Mar 23rd, '07, 01:07

hi jholic xD thanks for giving me all the information xD

i think its getting better!! so really wanna thank you for ya help :mrgreen:

mihon

Post by mihon » Mar 29th, '07, 20:15

Hi!

"Sorry, this service is down."

That's wht i got... is the site down or does that mean that I failed the test? :scratch:

Thx... :roll

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Mar 31st, '07, 00:52

the site is down. it comes back up every so often, but another way to test is to make sure your client gets a green light after a few minutes. which client are you using?

christaluvsdrama

Post by christaluvsdrama » Mar 31st, '07, 02:27

I have a question. I removed the torrent by accident, but I still have the videos. Is there any way I can get the torrent back so I can help seed. I don't want to dl it again just to help seed when I already have it.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Apr 3rd, '07, 03:02

christaluvsdrama: go back to the torrent page, search for the torrent you want, right-click on "DOWNLOAD" and save the TORRENT FILE on your computer. whenever you want to seed, double-click on that torrent file.

cotton604

Router problems

Post by cotton604 » Apr 17th, '07, 05:37

Hi, I am trying to find out how to configure my router so that the bit torrent's download rate is faster. The average download rate is around 8-10 KB/s. Anyways, I tried to configure my router. Some websites suggested to type in the ip address into the address bar (ie. http://192.168.0.1, and it's supposed to give access to the configuring the router, but then when i typed my IP address in, it says i cant find the page.

I am wondering if it's because i have an internal connection-specific DNS suffix.

Please help!

deadd

Re: Router problems

Post by deadd » Apr 17th, '07, 06:14

cotton604 wrote:Anyways, I tried to configure my router. Some websites suggested to type in the ip address into the address bar (ie. http://192.168.0.1, and it's supposed to give access to the configuring the router, but then when i typed my IP address in, it says i cant find the page.
Depending on the brand of the router, the ip address to enter into your browser can be 192.168.1.1, 10.0.0.1, 10.1.1.1, etc. You might want to try www.portforward.com for more info.

ap

Post by ap » Apr 17th, '07, 06:44

deadd wrote:
cotton604 wrote:Anyways, I tried to configure my router. Some websites suggested to type in the ip address into the address bar (ie. http://192.168.0.1, and it's supposed to give access to the configuring the router, but then when i typed my IP address in, it says i cant find the page.
Depending on the brand of the router, the ip address to enter into your browser can be 192.168.1.1, 10.0.0.1, 10.1.1.1, etc. You might want to try www.portforward.com for more info.
if you want to find the ip address of your router, do this;

start->run->type cmd->ok->type ipconfig->hit return
the default gateway is your router's ip address. be aware that most routers require a password to acces.

ap

cotton604

Post by cotton604 » Apr 17th, '07, 07:04

ap wrote:
deadd wrote:
if you want to find the ip address of your router, do this;

start->run->type cmd->ok->type ipconfig->hit return
the default gateway is your router's ip address. be aware that most routers require a password to acces.

ap
Thanks deadd and ap! I did check my default gateway and it is the one that I typed into the address bar, but it still doesn't work....I supect that it might be the age of my router. It's D link DSH -5 (It's not even listed at portforward...).

deadd

Post by deadd » Apr 17th, '07, 08:22

ap wrote: start->run->type cmd->ok->type ipconfig->hit return
ap
LOL...I should know that one. I took a few WinXP courses as well as Win2003 server courses at my community college trying to be an IT tech. I guess I am already forgetting what I learned.
cotton604 wrote:Thanks deadd and ap! I did check my default gateway and it is the one that I typed into the address bar, but it still doesn't work....I supect that it might be the age of my router. It's D link DSH -5 (It's not even listed at portforward...).
I looked up DSH-5 ... it's a hub, not a router. A hub doesn't do any of the functions a router does. It only adds more ports so more computers can share the network (a simple explanation.) So, now I am wondering, do you even have a router? maybe the router is in a deeper part of the network. Do you have DSL or Cable? or are you in a college dorm?

shtanhui

Post by shtanhui » May 18th, '07, 10:30

Hello there,

I'm using uTorrent, i would like to ask about port. I know that the port selection should be 6881-6889, however in "Options> Speed Guide> Current Port: ___", i input 6881-6889 to the box. However, they just select 6881.
  • Did i do it correctly?
    I read that there are such thing as min or max port, Is there an option for min. port or max. port in uTorrent?
    Also, i would like to do NATCHECK but the link(http://btfaq.com/natcheck.pl) provided in this forum do not work anymore, where else can i do a NATCHECK? Do i need to do a NATCHECK?
    How else could i maximise my upload and download speed?
I did the port forwarding already, it work fine. Sorry, i'm new to this.

Thanks alot in advace for replying~

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » May 18th, '07, 22:38

sorry, if NAT check is down, i don't know of an alternative.

most places have stopped recommending 6881-6889. they recommend using other ports like 8000+ or 9000+. you can google to see what is a safe port range.

i'm not sure how utorrent works, but usually, for every torrent you'll download or upload, you'll need one port. normally, you don't have more than 3 or 4.

whatever port range you choose, make sure you open the same ports on your router (port forward).

shtanhui

Post by shtanhui » May 19th, '07, 09:50

That's cool jholic~ Thanks alot!!! You're nice =)

ethidda
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ethidda » May 19th, '07, 10:12

I use utorrent, and one of my favorite features is that it uses only one port no matter how many torrents you are downloading. So, shtanhui, you are right in that it will only let you put in one port.

People stopped recommending opening 6881-6889 because of possible hacking. When you open a port (port forwarding, uPnp mapping, firewall exception, and the whole lot) you are telling the computer not to check anything that comes through the port. When everybody uses a certain port, it became predictable and easily hack-able. As to which port you should pick... any port is fine as long as it's not a well-known port. Usually the well-known ports are at the lower range (e.g. 22 for SSH, 80 for HTTP websites) so anything that has (four or) five digits is pretty safe, unless you also have set another program (such as DC++) to use the port already.

shtanhui

Post by shtanhui » May 19th, '07, 23:27

ethidda~ Thanks for replying~

So, does it mean that i could use uTorrent's randomize feature if i were to download from d-addicts? omg~ I din't knew that there would be hacking~ It sounds scary.

Thanks alot for letting me know =) You're great~!

ethidda
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ethidda » May 20th, '07, 01:10

I would say that randomize is the best and safest solution. In order for it to work properly, though, you have to enable uPnP. If you are running windows (I use XP. I know Vista has this. But not sure about earlier versions), you can go to firewall configuratiions to the exceptions section and enable upnp.

If you connect to the internet using a router, you have to first make sure that your router has upnp support and enable that as well.

If you can't enable upnp support for both your browser and your computer, then utorrent won't be able to connect properly to the internet (warning or red sign at the bottom for NAT error) and you would have to set utorrent to use a single port with gold old firewall exception and port forwarding.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » May 20th, '07, 22:52

ethidda: i'm old, so forgive my caution. when xp first came out, upnp did not have such great reviews.

http://www.theeldergeek.com/forum/lofiv ... 10844.html

things could have changed since then, but i disabled upnp years ago, and i do not have problems running anything.

i do not use utorrent, so i do not understand how the randomize feature works. if you only use ONE port, how can you 'randomize'??

shtanhui: this is what i would do. i would NOT randomize the port. use a static one that is NOT 6881-6999. then every two weeks, just change the port. ethidda gives you great advice about safety from hacking. that's something to keep in mind.

ethidda
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ethidda » May 20th, '07, 23:22

@jholic: utorrent uses only one port, and it's the config file. It can also randomize the port every time it is started up, meaning that it chooses a new port randomly every time the program is started.

@shtanhui: it seems that uPnp is quite unreliable, at least before sp2. It might still be unreliable after sp2. So the best solution is to follow jholic's directions.

pinkrav4

Re: Tweaking Bittorrent - How To Configure Bittorrent

Post by pinkrav4 » May 21st, '07, 16:04

can i ask if on an average of 7.5kB/sec normal for my download..??

and once again as guided @ http://toritraders.com/guides/firewalls.htm
so i shld open up my linksys admin site,enters the port range of 6881 to 6889,protocol i select 'BOTH',enters the last 3 digits of my IP and check 'Enables'..??

hereby is a screenie of my download progress,can any pros or admins rectify if there's ani hiccups or mistake by mi...thks..and btw how much shld i limits my Upload speed so as to maximise my downloads then..??Thks again..kind souls pls pm mi and let mi noe..thks :wub:
Attachments
ss.JPG
ss.JPG (126.29 KiB) Viewed 16980 times

ethidda
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ethidda » May 21st, '07, 23:18

@pinkrav4: If you look at the status bar on the bottom, to the right side, you will see your upload speed, your download speed, and then a pink circle with an exclamation mark in it. That circle means that your ports have NOT been forwarded correctly. You want it to be a green circle (green = go :D ).

What you do is double click on the red circle, and you will see a number near the bottom. It's either a 4 or 5 digit number, and that is the port that utorrent is using. That is also the ONLY port that you want to forward through your firewall (and your router if you have one).

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » May 21st, '07, 23:40

ethidda wrote:@jholic: utorrent uses only one port, and it's the config file. It can also randomize the port every time it is started up, meaning that it chooses a new port randomly every time the program is started.
thanks for the answer. so does that mean you have to go into your router and change your port fwding rules every time you start up utorrent? can you specify a range of ports for it to use?

ethidda
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ethidda » May 22nd, '07, 03:16

If you don't use uPnP, yes you would have to change the port forwarding every time (but then, how many times do the serious downloaders actually restart utorrent?). I imagine that the port range can be set in the advanced configurations (which are name, value pairs), but I haven't really done any serious configuration for my utorrent because I'm behind the university firewall anyways. (So, I get 10Mbit+/sec connection both ways, but I hardly ever get to use it all. ;( )

shtanhui

Post by shtanhui » May 22nd, '07, 03:30

jholic: Thanks for the uPnP information! It would help so much!! Arigatou~~!!!

ethidda: From now on, i'll just choose anything from 8000-9000+ right? Anyhow type a number? =)

ethidda
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ethidda » May 22nd, '07, 03:34

@shtanhui: pretty much, yes. The number can also be five digits. I usually keep mine somewhere in the twenty thousand's. And yeah, just type in a random number. :)

shtanhui

Post by shtanhui » May 22nd, '07, 04:13

Wow, you really reply fast~ Looks like it's guessing game. Thanks~~!

pinkrav4

Post by pinkrav4 » May 22nd, '07, 15:02

meaning each time i closes my Utorrent do i nids to re-key in ani figures..??Thks ya

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » May 24th, '07, 01:49

rav4: as ethidda said, if you don't do the upnp thing, then YES, you would need to re-do it every time.

bollywoodrani

Post by bollywoodrani » Jun 1st, '07, 13:11

Okay I hope my comment doesn't get lost in the midst here

It has always taken me weeks to download torrents. They're rarely seeded either even when I request them to be. They always start out red and it stays that way. My firewall trusts bittorrent as well. Can someone please help me, I'm so frustrated I can't see half the things I want to because of this problem.

ethidda
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ethidda » Jun 1st, '07, 16:33

@bollywoodrani: There are several things that could be possibly slowing down your bt downloads. people would probably be able to provide better help if you gave some specifics, such as the file(s) you tried downloading, the bittorrent client you are using, what kind of network you are on (home, office, school, # of computers connected, upload speed, download speed). Also, I have no idea what you mean when you wrote "They always start out red", what are "they" and again, which client are you using?

But just from what you mentioned, here are the problems I can think of:

1.) There are no seeds. If there are no seeds, there are no seeds. There's nothing that can be done about that except to find seeders to help seed. A torrent with small number of seeders will always be slow, and it can have nothing to do with your setup. However, you might want to clarify if you mean that there are no seeds or that you simply aren't connecting to any seeds.

2.) You mentioned a firewall. Which firewall (XP default, or did you install one)? Do you also have a router? If so, did you configure that? Also, make sure that you have given the port to the bt client in that no other program uses that port (or ports). If you have concerns about your configuration, you can google bittorrent network configuration, and there are plenty of guides to tell you what to do.

haruna_hamasaki

Post by haruna_hamasaki » Jun 2nd, '07, 12:58

i am using uTorrent. my download speed is always under 10kb.
how to adjust the uTorrent configuration?

ethidda
Fansubber
Fansubber

Post by ethidda » Jun 2nd, '07, 18:21

So, utorrent has a little icon on the bottom on the status bar, between DHT nodes and download speed that tells you if the ports are all forwarded properly. It's either red (for not forwarded properly), a yellow triangle, or a green circle (which is what you want). If it's NOT a green circle, then you can change it by double clicking on the connectivity icon and change the ports. And then make sure that your firewall and/or router are also forwarding those ports (google for this... there are lots of guides on the internet).

Hanakurosu

Post by Hanakurosu » Jul 26th, '07, 17:15

I 'vr got the same prob, I'm using Flashget and my torrents only receive 15 to 10 kb... how can i improve my DL speed?

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Jul 27th, '07, 00:21

depending on your ISP, whether you're on a university or even what country you're in, it could affect your speed. since the dl speed of bittorrent is usually affected by your UPload speed, you should be asking how you can improve your UPload speed.

Adelayde

Post by Adelayde » Jul 27th, '07, 20:20

Hello, I am a uTorrent user & I've been trying to forward a port for quite some time now.
At the bottom of uTorrent there is a yellow triangle
To get rid of the triangle I have tried using this tutorial from the Port Forward website.
However I find that when I type in my Static IP Address this appears

According to the tutorial, the username & password are "admin" by default. Yet when I type it in I can't gain access to the page.

If anyone could help me or tell me what I'm doing wrong it would be greatly appreciated. :-)

acmilansoccer999

Post by acmilansoccer999 » Jul 30th, '07, 13:32

im trying to use the proxy server foh utorrent, but how do i noe that it really works and that my old ip no longer shows wen seeding?
can someone give a tutorial on how to set ur proxy server for utorrent??????

andyhuynh31e

My isp blocked the utorrent communication.

Post by andyhuynh31e » Aug 19th, '07, 15:41

I've encountered a critical problem with my isp, they've blocked the utorrent communication to limit my download speed. It's only around 10-20kb/s instead of nearly 100kb/s 2 months ago. I'm sure that is the point, since many of my friends are facing the same situations. I turned the Enable Encryption in utorrent on though. I wonder if there are any ways to solve this, or else, I just gotta wait for my isp to make a good behavior? This is my major problem.

Second, my modem is named COM21 and its code is DP1112XB, I could not figure out the port forward, I have checked in the www.portforward.com though. Weather it has a bad effect when I have not done that yet.

More info about my appl.s:
utorrent 1.7.2, i configured it followed the instructions here
kaspersky 7, good configured, i suppose
peerguardian 2
ISP advertised down/up speed: 1.2 MB/s - 512KB/s

If you need more info, pls let me know. Thks u guys very much.

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Aug 22nd, '07, 23:31

if your ISP blocked bittorrent traffic, it's pretty tough. i would turn off peer guardian. i don't feel it does much good.

if you do not use bittorrent, is your internet speed fast?

what country are you in?

Linnachan

Post by Linnachan » Aug 31st, '07, 08:01

I think (and I stress the think) this is the right place to post this =='

Anyhow, I'm having problems with downloading from one torrent file (Antique Cake Shop.) I use ABC 3.1 and connect thru a linksys wireless router. The torrent shows up as green and all of my other torrent files are able to DL just fine except that one file. I've tried turning off all of my other torrents at the same time, but it ends up just staying at 0.0 for downloading and seeding. I'm wondering if it's some kind of weird firewall that might be restricting access for just that one file or if it's just the person I'm trying to seed from that has the firewall? Or if it could be a problem with the tracker? I've opened up the usual BT ports on my router and enabled my IP address so I'm not sure why it won't work. ==;

jholic
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by jholic » Sep 6th, '07, 00:30

Linna: welcome to the forum. i hope you visit the hawaii thread later.

anyways, 'antique' is a pretty antique torrent. i believe it's quite old, so there may not be as many seeders/peers. one thing i've noticed about BT is that the tracker only provides a guideline. there have been many times when i have been the leecher or seeder, and have not been able to connect to everyone. if you are green, then you've done everything you could at your end. after a few hours, if you don't connect, it's time to request another seeder.